Dragons, Weasleys and a Healer

By Chapter1991

In the aftermath of the battle, Hermione and Fred's friendship evolves into something more, but their budding... More

The Road Runner
The Weekend After
St. Mungo's
Up and Left
Romania
Ginny & The Twins
A Weasley Visit
Owl
Write To Me
A Phone Call
Visitation Rights
Surprise
Presents
The Flat
Hogsmeade
The Burrow
The Minister of Magic
Tiny Dragons
The Romanian Minister
The Law
An Announcement
Telling The Family
A Wedding and Goodbyes
Home

A New Job

798 21 0
By Chapter1991

It was Saturday when Fred was cursing in the kitchen. The whole kitchen was a mess. He wanted to make the cookies from scratch without any magic. In front of him lay a piece of paper with the instructions, covered with bits of eggs and flower. He was just stirring the batter when George came in.

"Merlin! What the hell happened here?" He took in Fred and the kitchen, both covered in cookie batter. Fred had flour in his hair and his shirt was dirty.

"I don't know how muggles do it! This is a disaster."

"What are you making?"

"Cookies."

"And why don't you use magic, you are a wizard you know." Fred scowled at his twin as he continued with his 'baking'.

"Do you need help?" George asked carefully.

"No, it's okay. I think I almost got it. I will be down as soon as I'm finished. "

"Okay. Do clean up after yourself would you." As George walked back to the door.

An hour later Fred was cleaning up the kitchen when his cookies were finally in the oven. He took a quick shower and when he put on a clean shirt, the bell of the oven went off. He carefully took them out and placed them on the counter to cool down. He made his way down to help at the store. That evening Fred and George plopped down on the couch after finishing dinner. Since his talk with Hermione last Tuesday, he was contemplating to tell George about it.

Before he could say something, George spoke up. "I can hear you think... What's up?" Fred looked at his twin. He saw worry cross over George's face.

"George... -" he didn't know where to start. As if he could read his mind George said.

"Freddie? You know you can tell me anything right?"

He took a deep breath and started. "I know that you all think I'm just a guy who wants flings. I mean I was that guy, but not anymore. I want more out of life. If I see you and Ange, I get jealous and not in the way you think. Jealous that you found someone you will spend the rest of your life with. I want someone like that, I want a family. And I know you probably think I'm crazy and I'm not up for something like that but... -" he needed to breath, all of that came out in one breath. George took him by the shoulders and pulled him in a hug.

"How, why, would you think we feel that way about you. None of us will understand what you went through. We all knew you would want a family someday. We also knew you needed to blow of some steam and process everything that happened. And what you need to know is, we all love you just the same." He pulled his brother back in a hug. "How long did you feel this way?" George asked as he drew back from the hug.

"A little over a year."

"A year? Why did you decide to tell me now?"

"Hermione." He said honestly. He saw the confused look is his face.

"Hermione knew?"

"Yeah. I had my check up this week and she was my healer and we talked about some stuff, I just told her the truth. Don't know why, but I did and I'm glad I did it because she reasoned with me to talk to you. That's why I made those cookies." He only half lied about that. "To thank her."

They sat in silence for a minute.

"You're not mad, are you? That I told her first?"

"No Freddie, of course not. I know you two got close over the past few years. I'm happy you had someone to talk about it and you know what." George jumped up from the couch. "I think I will make her cookies too, to thank her for getting your mind straight." Fred chuckled as his brother made his way to the kitchen. He followed him and leaned against the counter watching him gather the ingredients.

"So, over a year... you haven't had sex for over a year?"

"No, I had sex, but only 2 times." George was contemplating what to say as he started to mix the ingredients by hand.

"Two times..." he said quietly. "So, one was three weeks ago. And the other?"

"Eight months ago."

"Wow... and you don't think it could be something more with either of them?" Fred was afraid he would ask that. Because he didn't know. His feelings towards Hermione had changed, to what, he didn't know. He was raking his brain about that the whole week. He wanted to call her all week but didn't have an excuse to do it and didn't know what he would say.

"I don't know." He finally said. "It's all so confusing. The sex was amazing, you have no idea. She is smart, funny. But it's complicated."

"Doesn't sound complicating to me. Sounds like you really fancy her." Fred sat down on one of the chairs and put his head in his hands. Did George just said what he was too scared to admit to himself that he liked her. Like, really like her. Oh no. He groaned in his hands.

Suddenly he felt a hand on his arm and looked up. "Fred. You don't have to say or do anything now. Just take some time to sort it all out. Maybe talk to the girl about it."

"Yeah okay. Do you need help?" Changing the subject and pushing himself up with a grin.

"No, I've seen what you did to the kitchen, so let me make this batch. You know I'm the better cook." Fred huffed.

"And I am the better-looking twin."

"You wish." As a final answer he just pointed at his ears.

Hermione just got home after a meeting with her boss. She sat at her kitchen table looking dazed. She had been offered a job to work in Romania for 4 months at the reserve with Charlie. He needed an answer by next Monday. Normally she would jump right in. But now... Ginny and Harry's relationship was now even more on the rocks; she couldn't just leave. And what about Fred? She didn't know what was going on between them. Maybe it was all in her head. Maybe it was one sided those feelings, whatever they mean. Did she like him like that? She knew him for years and never thought of him that way. Yes, he was extremely handsome and funny, but it never occurred to her as him being more than a friend. Sure, they got close after the war but as great friends. They were happy for each other relationships or conquests. The hard part is she didn't have anyone to talk to about it. She wished she could talk to Ginny, but this is her brother. And just like Fred, she dropped her head in her hands and groaned.

Hermione stepped out of the fireplace at the burrow just to bump into someone in front of her. She stumbled backward but the ginger took her hand and pulled her up.

"Hi, Hermione!"

In front of her stood another handsome Weasley. Why are there some many handsome men in this house? She thought to herself.

"CHARLIE!" She yelled and jumped in his arms. He hugged her tight. "I missed you! How are you?" She asked as he let her go.

The time with her working at St. Mungo's and Fred still healing there, she grew close to the Weasley men. Mainly Bill, the twins and Charlie. It was almost 4 months ago since she last saw him. He has an extra cut on his cheek and let his hair grew out.

"I missed you too. It's been busy at the reserve. Had a lot of births the past six months. Glad to be back home though. And I'm sorry about Sam."

She linked her arm with his as they walked to the kitchen. "It's okay, I'm okay."

"I know. You're a strong independent woman, you don't need a man." They laughed as they entered the kitchen.

"Where is everyone?" Looking at a completely deserted kitchen.

"Outside. With me, Andromeda and Teddy coming over it was a bit crowded in the kitchen."

As they walked outside, they saw a long table with full of colourful chairs around it. Everyone was here besides Harry, Ginny and Percy.

"I like your hair likes this." She said her hand rummaging in his hair.

"Oi! Don't touch the hair." As he combed it back with his fingers. Hermione was just about to do it again. "I don't think so!" As Charlie laughed and took her hand. He easily picked her up and threw her over his shoulder.

"Oh my god! Charlie, put me down!" She half yelled, half laughed. She heard the others laugh from the table.

"Look who I found?" Charlie said to his family and turned around so they could see her. She smiled and he put her down. When they took a seat, she smiled at Fred, she saw a weird look across his face before he started his conversation again with George.

After everyone arrived and had lunch, Hermione sat with Teddy on her lap, sitting between Ginny and Charlie. Her godson had his hair just like hers, brown curls hanging loose around his shoulders. She was colouring with the 4-year-old when she heard someone calling her.

"Hermione, dear." She looked up at Molly with a smile. "I heard from Charlie that you have an opportunity to go work with him for four months at the reserve." Her smile faltered.

Before she could panic or say something, she heard from different directions. "WHAT!?" One of them right beside her. She glanced over at Fred, but he avoided her eyes as he was twirling his wand.

"Yes. I just found out yesterday. How do you know about it?" She asked poking Charlie on his arm. He blushed before he spoke.

"Because... because it was my idea...?" He said with a sheepish smile.

Now the whole table yelled. "WHAT!?"

"It's just... we were looking for a new healer at the reserve because the former one just had a baby with his wife. And of course, I thought about Hermione. She is an amazing healer; this would be a step up for her career. Or don't you think so?" He challenged the table.

They all mumbled something to themselves.

"What are you going to do?" Ginny asked softly.

"I don't know. It's not even been 24 hours that he presented me with this. I need time to think." Ginny nodded at her response.

"I'm sorry, dear. I didn't want to put any more pressure on you. I just thought you wanted it and that you -" she pointed at all the others at the table. "Would be happy for her. When do you need to give your answer?"

"By next Monday."

"I need to do pipi." The little boy on her lap interrupted.

"Oh, of course peanut. Let's go." She put him on the ground and took his hand. "We will be right back." And they walked back in the burrow.

As she and Teddy walked out, she saw Fred sitting at dock at the pond.

"Teddy? Want to scare uncle Fred?" The boy grinned wide, and they both snuck up behind Fred. When they were close enough Teddy jumped on his back, his hair already turning ginger.

"BOOOH!" He yelled in his ear. "Did we scare you?"

"You certainly did, little man!" He smiled at the boy and put him in his lap. The smile disappearing when he saw Hermione behind him.

"Fred? Are you okay?"

"Fine." He said without looking at her. She sat beside him frowning. It was quiet for a moment. The only sounds were Teddy skipping rocks in the pond with the occasional giggle.

"So, are you going?" Fred's eyed still fixed at Teddy.

"Oh. I don't know... it's a great opportunity but it's four months I will be gone from my family." She said looking back at the table.

"Yeah... but you will have Charlie. You two looked chummy." Fred said grumpy.

"And what is that supposed to mean?!" Hermione shot back.

"You know what I mean!" Now he was looking in her eyes.

"Fred... Is there something you want to say to me?" She took his hand in hers. Fred looked at her, his face softening. He wanted to ask her to stay and not run of with his brother, he wanted to kiss her so badly, he wanted her so badly. He saw Charlie in the corner of his eye coming towards them. He dropped her hand.

"You should just go! Go with him." He pointed a Charlie. Hermione looked back and saw Charlie crossing the yard towards them.

"Fred." He ignored her. She got up and picked up Teddy and turned towards the others but not before turning to Fred again, her face red from anger and hurt.

"Yeah, maybe I will just go and do that! And a little titbit for you, but Charlie is like my brother!" She yelled at him as she turned on her heel and stormed off.

Fred looked stunned as Hermione stormed off towards the table. Brother. Charlie was like a brother. Merlin! What did I do!? He just pushed her to go live in another country. He was so fixed on Hermione's back; he didn't notice Charlie sitting down next to him.

"What was that about?" Fred jumped up at the sound of his voice.

"Nothing." Looking back at the pond.

"Freddie, that was not nothing, I know you and I know Hermione." Charlie looked worried. When he didn't answer Charlie spoke up. "Is something going on between you two?" Fred eyes widened as he looked at his brother, and then dropped his head is his hands yet again.

"That's a yes then." Charlie grabbed his shoulder. "Tell me what happened."
With no way to deny it anymore he told him what happened. Told him from that night till just right know. Charlie was quiet until he finished carefully listening.

"You are a git, you know that?"

"Oi! Which part?"

"More than one I'm afraid. How could you possibly think something was going on between Hermione and me?"

"You two just looked so chummy and goofing around."

"Yeah, just like she does with all of your brothers." He rolled his eyes at Fred. "So, you want something serious with her?"

"Yeah, I think so. I never felt like this before. But it's still so confusing because we were friends for so long. And I don't know what she feels about all of it."

"I can't be sure, but the way she reacted to you; I think she feels something too. Just try and talk to her." Charlie pulled is brother up and they both walked back to the table.

"Can you just keep it to yourself?"

"Sure, Freddie."

As they reached the table Fred's eyes searched for Hermione but couldn't find her. "Where is Hermione?"

"Oh, she just left with Teddy." Fred's heart stung at that.

"She said Teddy was tired and that she had a lot to think about. You know with the job and all." Andromeda answered.

"Just let her be for a while. Talk to her later." Charlie whispered as they both sat down at the table.

"Oh no! Fred! We forgot to give her the cookies!" George yelled holding up the box.

As she floo'd back to her apartment, she sat Teddy down in front of her with his toys and took a seat on her couch. She pulled out a pen and paper and start writing down pros and cons for the new job. And what she needed to do if she chose the job. After a couple minutes, she dropped her pen down next to her and sighed in frustration. Fred's reaction and what he said to her still played in her head, on repeat.

"Auntie Mione? Are you sad?"

"Oh, no peanut. Just a bit tired." Tired of it all she thought to herself. Teddy got up and climbed in her lap and gave her a big hug. "Hey, want to make some cupcakes with me?" Teddy's eyes grew big and nodded heavily.

"Let's go!" They both ran to the kitchen, she grabbed everything they needed, putting on her apron before turning to Teddy and putting his apron over his head.

They were mixing the batter and singing along to the music when Fred and George walked in. They didn't notice them until they danced around and faced the twins. Both were leaning against the door frame. George with a wide grin on his face and Fred was looking at Teddy, avoiding her eyes.

"You two make quite the couple."

"Why, thank you." She smiled at George.

"We are making cupcakes!" Teddy yelled.

"Yes, I can see that." George laughed as he picked some eggshells out of his brown curls.

"What are you doing here?"

"You forgot our present!"

"Present?" She cocked an eyebrow.

"Yeah." George rubbed the back of his neck. "Just to say thanks for getting Fred here to tell me."

"Tell you what?" She looked past George at Fred. He gave her a look that said not to worry, she looked back at George.

"You know. About how he is not a man whore anymore." George shrugged with a smile. And Hermione started the laugh, he took the box and opened it.

"You made these?"

"We both did, from scratch and no magic. It was Fred's idea."

"Really?" She looked at Fred as he stared at her and nodded. She walked over and hugged him before kissing him on the cheek. She walked back to George and did the same.

"Thank you. This is really lovely." Hermione put the box on the table and Teddy took his chance and grabbed one.

"Better get going. Meeting Ange at her parents." George said while walking to the fireplace. "See you later." And he was gone, Fred still lingering in the door frame.

"Can I talk to you?"

"Yeah, uhm Teddy why don't you go chose a movie for when the cupcakes are done." Teddy jumped of the chair with his cookie and walked to the living room. Hermione turned away from Fred and started to clean the kitchen waiting for him to say something.

"I'm sorry." Hermione looked back at Fred. "I'm sorry for being a.. "

"A git?"

"If you want to put it nicely." Fred smiled since the first time he walked in. She couldn't stifle a chuckle. "I got scared that you would be leaving."

"Oh." She didn't know what to say to that. "It's just a couple of months, it's not that I'm going to live there."

"Yeah. So, you are going then?"

"I'm still deciding. It is a great opportunity for me."

"I know." It was quiet for a few minutes as she put the last dishes away. "You should go." Hermione turned around in surprise, Fred was standing right in front of her.

His eyes searched for something. He bent down slowly as his hand cupped her face, his lips touched hers softly. He pulled away pressing his head to hers.

"I don't know what this is." He pointed between them. "I'm still trying to figure it out myself and how I feel about you. And I don't know what you feel... -" before he could finish Hermione pressed her lips back on his. Before he could deepen the kiss, she pulled away.

"Why are you telling me to go?"

"Because we need some time apart to figure out what we feel. If this is something we both want and not just some aftermath of that night." She nodded before Teddy called out for her, they jumped apart.

"Coming, peanut!" They looked back at each other smiling before they walked to the living room.

"Uncle Freddie, do you want to watch the movie with us?"

"If it's okay with your auntie." Teddy looked at her with his puppy dog eyes.

"Alright. I will put the movie on. Fred, can you get the cupcakes?"

After 10 minutes in the movie Fred whispered to her. "When are you leaving?"

"I don't know. Soon, I guess. Maybe next week?" He nodded as he looked back at the TV. He intertwined his fingers with hers as they watched Pippi Longstocking.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

279K 8.5K 62
This story takes place right after the war. Voldemort was defeated and many innocent people have lost their lives. George Weasley being one of them...
17.9K 198 25
After the Battle of Hogwarts, Ron and Hermione's and Harry and Ginny's relationship expand...what happens as they face difficult times and also of th...
11.4K 378 14
After the final battle, the trio take a holiday through Europe to sort through all that has happened to them over the past year. Some bonds are broke...
362K 8.8K 72
"Fred Weasley. Pleasure to meet you," one of the twins greeted me, sweeping into a bow and placing a kiss to my knuckles. ...