Joan Ascends

Por KristenPham

Season 3 of The Throwbacks The outlook for Throwbacks in Seattle - and across America - has never been bleake... Más

Season List for The Throwbacks
Chapter 1: I'm no hero
Chapter 2: Lucky Me
Chapter 3: Little slice of Eden
Chapter 4: You forced us to be enemies
Chapter 5: I'm glad to be wrong
Chapter 6: I, too, have teeth
Chapter 7: Now the world can see the truth
Chapter 9: It ends sooner than you think
Chapter 10: Beginning of a legend
Chapter 11: As low as I'm willing to go
Chapter 12: Don't let them shut you out
Chapter 13: He really is a monster
Chapter 14: Break-in at the Bunker
Chapter 15: I can't lose you
Chapter 16: Remember your place
Chapter 17: We're all going to die
Chapter 18: Let no one stop you
Chapter 19: Down the wrong path
Chapter 20: I know what I'm getting into
Chapter 21: A sycophantic sociopath with an inferiority complex
Chapter 22: Rats in a cage
Chapter 23: Daring to buck the system
Chapter 24: Water torture
Chapter 25: Brought to heel
Chapter 26: Burn it all down
Chapter 27: Strand's evil clutches
Chapter 28: Have it your way
Chapter 29: Serving our evil overlords
Chapter 30: Don't scream
Chapter 31: Rage and loss
Chapter 32: It wasn't for nothing
Chapter 33: I don't want to be without you
Chapter 34: Under arrest
Chapter 35: No other choice
Chapter 36: The tiniest measure of hope
Chapter 37: Have faith
Chapter 38 Change is here
Epilogue - Ten Years Later

Chapter 8: About damn time

43 8 0
Por KristenPham

When I finally return to consciousness, I find myself in one of the beds in Flo's clinic. Next to me, goo is draining from the Incubus. My body is still weak, but the pain in my head and muscles is much better. Flo must have used the machine to heal what she could.

Justus is pacing next to my cot. He freezes when I reach out to grasp his fingers with my own.

"Aft, Kat, Brie...the team...they're okay?" I ask, though some part of me already knows the answer.

"They're fine, thanks to your tipoff. A group of men calling themselves the 'neighborhood watch' showed up at my dad's door with baseball bats and a couple of knives. They were pissed about the verdict in court about the Annex. Who knows what they would have done to dad if he didn't have anyone there to protect him. Tell me what the hell happened."

"That's something we all want to hear," Harriet says, entering the clinic with Sun and Marie on her heels.

I take a deep breath. The time for half-truths is over. "I had a vision today, of Aft being hurt by a group of men. And this voice told me it wasn't too late to prevent something terrible from happening if I took action."

Harriet and Justus look at each other, and then back at me.

"You're saying you saw the future," Harriet says, her tone giving nothing away.

"Yes."

"And a voice is speaking to you, telling you what to do," Sun says, his brow furrowed like he's in the middle of a particularly intense game of chess.

"I know it sounds crazy."

"It sounds like Lexi is accessing the chip in your brain, sending you images or vids. This has to be Strand's latest way of controlling you," Marie says. "It's the only logical explanation."

"We left logic behind the moment that my vision saved Aft's life," I argue. "I saw him get beaten up, and that never happened in real life."

"With the proper vid editing software, she could have fabricated that."

"Not with the realism I saw," I insist.

"There is one more explanation," Justus says. "She's cloned from Joan of Arc. These visions are her legacy."

I already know what I believe. The voice I heard wasn't sent by Strand or Lexi. The urgency and intensity packed into every word was authentic, and some unshakable part of me believes in the pure intentions of that voice.

The only goal was to save a life and do what is right. If I believed in God, the answer to what is happening would be easy. After all, the original Joan believed she was visited by saints.

As my mind tries to sift through the possibilities, a familiar darkness blots out my sight.

I'm in a part of the city that I know well. In front of me is a building that plays a starring role in many of my nightmares. The Chrysalis. In spite of the violence that occurred inside those walls, the outside looks as it always did. Tall, with mirrored sides that shine in the sun.

The building should be deserted, designated to be torn down by the city. But my instincts scream that there is more inside those walls than broken furniture and bloodstains.

I scan the building, floor by floor, until my eyes pass over a missing pane of glass on the second level. It stands out like a missing tooth. Inside there's a flash of color, like someone passed by the window.

Your destiny is waiting for you. Go and meet it.

"Joan! Joan!"

"It's happening again!"

"Is she going to die?"

"Get Flo."

I force my eyes to open. "I'm okay."

"You are far from okay," Justus says, and his eyes are filled with so much fear that I have to look away.

Flo bustles in with Marie, who must have run to get her. Flo checks my blood pressure and peers into my eyes with a light.

"Her blood pressure is dropping. That's what's causing the fainting. It's common with H2IV," Flo says.

"She needs the antidote," Marie insists.

"I already reached out to Lexi this afternoon," Harriet says. "She's sending a courier with the antidote this evening. I think even she was a little freaked out by how sick you've gotten."

"How can we trust her?" Marie asks. "She's the one who infected Joan, and now she could quite possibly be manipulating her thoughts."

Sun shakes his head slowly. "Joan's chip is still blocked from receiving any signals from Strand by the gel. But that doesn't mean that all this is a coincidence. What if the H2IV is triggering these visions she's having?"

My mind races ahead, considering what Sun is saying. "Lexi was blabbing about me being special, that there was a reason that she'd kept me alive and given me special treatment."

Justus tenses. "She knew this would happen."

"She hoped," Sun corrects him. "Strand is known for pushing the boundaries of what is scientifically possible. If Joan isn't being manipulated, then maybe she's accessed a kind of sixth sense that helps her understand cues in the world and make sense of potential future outcomes."

Justus runs his fingers through his messy hair. "If these visions are from Joan, products of her mind making sense of the world, then I trust them."

"I should message Lexi myself and see what she knows," I say, restless in spite of feeling like I've been hit by a bus.

I want to be moving, to find answers as quickly as possible, but my body is too weak to take any kind of real action. I lean back into my pillows and pull my knees against my chest.

"Rest, Joan," Justus says, pushing a strand of hair behind my ear. "Figuring out your new superpower can wait."

My eyes are so heavy that I can't argue. "Fine. Just for a little while."

~ ~ ~

At some point in the night, Flo wakes me up and has me drink a foul-tasting concoction that leaves my mouth dry and chalky.

"Antidote?" I whisper, unable to make my voice any louder.

"So they say," Flo replies, eyeing the empty vial doubtfully. "I'm going to run some tests on the residue to see if we can reverse-engineer it and see what this 'cure' actually contains."

I want to stay awake to see if it's working, but I barely finish the thought before I'm unconscious again. When I wake up the next time, Justus is asleep beside me, and one of his arms is across my waist.

There's enough light in the clinic to see his face. He doesn't look relaxed, even in sleep. There's a deep groove between his eyebrows, like he's been worrying so much that it's permanently etched into his skin.

My eyes flicker down to his lips, and I can't help imagining myself finally kissing him. I've wanted to do that for as long as I've known him, but we had no choice but to hold back when he discovered he was Evolved.

But now that the H2IV is active anyway, I could let myself kiss him. Just once, to satisfy the intense craving throbbing beneath my skin. What would he taste like? How would it feel to have his tongue slide against mine?

"Tell me what you're thinking," Justus says, his voice a little slurred with sleep.

My eyes flick back up to his, and I try to stuff all my feelings deep inside so that he won't read my desire in my eyes.

"I'm wondering where everyone else is," I lie.

Justus grins, and my cheeks flush. "That's okay. You don't have to tell me. Our first kiss was never going to be in an underground clinic when I probably have morning breath."

He doesn't have morning breath, though. He smells like mint from the gum he sometimes chews and something else that's just him.

I sit up to put some space between us. Tentatively, I stretch my arms and swing my legs over the side of the bed.

"Flo says that your body is recovering more rapidly than she expected. So far it looks like Lexi wasn't lying about her antidote. How do you feel?"

Nothing hurts. Even my head has stopped aching. When I run my tongue over my gums, they aren't sensitive any longer. I stand and take a few steps to test my balance, and everything is normal.

"I'm better. If Flo manages to figure out what was in that vial, think of how many lives we could save."

"That's another thing I love about you. Lots of people see what's wrong in the world, but you are always finding ways to fix things."

I shake my head. "I've fucked up so badly so many times, Justus. I don't know how you can say that."

"Taking responsibility for the actions of Crew, or Lexi, or Officer Boer, or anyone else is a kind of narcissism, Joan. You didn't control those people. They would have found ways to hurt people no matter what choices you made."

I'm so stunned by Justus's words that I don't know what to say.

Justus must mistake my silence for hurt, because he stands up and takes my hand gently in his. "I know that you only want what's best for everyone, Joan. You have the purest intentions of anyone I've ever known. But even you aren't perfect. And when you take ownership for other people's actions, you take away their agency. For good or for bad."

After that terrible day when Elizabeth, Sacajawea, and so many others were murdered in the Chrysalis, I learned my lesson when it came to making choices for other people, thinking I knew best.

But maybe Justus is right, and that's only half the answer. Maybe I also need to accept that all the blood and pain that has ripped apart Seattle over the past few months isn't my fault, either. Crew and Lexi made their choices, and I've fought with everything I have to stop them.

I put my arms around Justus's neck as these realizations cascade through me. The hard, painful lump of guilt that has been sitting like a rock in my chest seems to shrink, and I take the first deep breath I've had in weeks.

"Justus?"

"Yeah?"

"Your breath is perfect, and this clinic happens to be one of my favorite places in the entire world."

I take a step closer, so that our bodies are flush against each other. Justus's breathing comes faster now, and his eyes dilate when I look up at him.

He bends his head and I rise onto my toes. He's the one to close the last inch of space between us, and when his mouth meets mine every other thought in my head fades away.

Our kiss is gentle at first, exploratory, but when I run my tongue along his bottom lip, he pulls me tighter. Suddenly we're kissing each other urgently, like this is our last kiss as the world explodes around us.

I inhale the smell of him and he pushes his fingers into my hair, tilting my head to deepen our kiss. His lips slide against mine and my tongue grazes his teeth and he groans and—

"Guess the antidote worked," Kat says.

Justus and I pull apart hastily, like we've been caught by Aft instead of one of our best friends.

We're both breathing hard, and I can't tear my eyes away from Justus's.

In my peripheral vision I see that Kat hasn't come alone. Harriet, Mason and Flo are all crowded behind her.

Mason shakes his head and smirks. "About damn time, buddy. About damn time."

A curl of happiness winds through me, lighting me up inside for the first time in months. But that moment of joy is almost immediately snuffed out by a blast of panic. Now that I have something wonderful in my life, I also have something I'm terrified to lose.

Seguir leyendo

También te gustarán

681 86 40
Two opposite sides come face to face, forcing each other to reconsider their version of the truth. *** A minority of the world's population carries...
231 31 17
The world ended, half burned away by a sun split in two and the other destroyed by nuclear war. Rue was born the day this happened, an abomination bo...
148 0 27
The time has finally arrived, where the earth has reached its limit. Food, water, and land, all luxuries we've taken for granted, have been slowly lo...
1.3M 78.4K 50
Part 2 of The Runner series. ================================== The Runner's Rebellion was only the beginning. Tensions run high as the City struggle...