Checkmate of Death (Danganron...

By artsy_wish

Hanako Yasashiku was accepted into Hope's Peak Academy as the "Ultimate Chess Player." However, she, along wi... More

OC Info
Prologue Part 1: Hope's Peak Academy
Prologue Part 2: Introductions
Prologue Part 3: The School Headmaster
Chapter 1: Exploring the School
Chapter 2: Free Time Event #1
Chapter 3: The First Motive
Chapter 4: Body Discovery Aftermath
Chapter 5: Investigation
Class Trial #1 Part 1: The Blame Game
Class Trail #1 Part 2: Oh, How the Tables Have Turned
Class Trail #1 Part 3: The Conclusion
Chapter 6: Class Trial Aftermath
Chapter 7: A Whole New World (Every Turn, a Surprise)
Chapter 8: In Search of the Affluent Progeny
Chapter 9: Free Time Event #2
Chapter 10: Comforting Chihiro
Chapter 11: Free Time Event #3
Chapter 12: Sauna Battle Turned Bromance
Chapter 13: Deep Dark Embarrassing Secrets
Chapter 14: Bloodlust
Chapter 15: Another Investigation
Class Trial #2 Part 1: Genocide Jack's Identity
Class Trial #2 Part 2: Is Byakuya Guilty?
Class Trial #2 Part 3: Weak and Strong
Chapter 16: My Brother...
Chapter 17: The Third Floor
Chapter 18: Meeting Alter Ego
Chapter 19: Money, Money, Money
Chapter 21: Alter Ego Love Battle
Chapter 22: Free Time Event #5
Chapter 23: Missing Alter Ego
Chapter 24: Robo Justice
Chapter 25: Disappearing Bodies
Chapter 26: Double Body Investigation
Class Trial #3 Part 1: Is Hiro the Culprit?
Class Trial #3 Part 2: The Dead One Alive
Class Trial #3 Part 3: Such Weird Behavior for the Queen of Liars
Chapter 27: Recap
Chapter 28: The Fourth Floor
Chapter 29: What Alter Ego Found
Chapter 30: Some Breakfast Meeting
Chapter 31: Free Time Event #6
Chapter 32: Traitor Revealed
Chapter 33: Free Time Event #7
Chapter 34: Dining Room Attack
Chapter 35: Guarding Arrangements and a Compromise
Chapter 36: Try Not to Attack Anyone During an Investigation
Class Trial #4 Part 1: Who's the Culprit?
Class Trial #4 Part 2: Poison
Class Trial #4 Part 3: The True Culprit
Chapter 37: What Did the Mastermind Do to Us?
Chapter 38: The Fifth and Final Floor
Chapter 39: Where is Kyoko?
Chapter 40: Free Time Event #8
Chapter 41: Dismantling Monokuma
Chapter 42: To the Headmaster's Room
Chapter 43: Corpse in the Garden and the Data Room
Chapter 44: Investigation of the Unknow Victim

Chapter 20: Free Time Event #4

136 2 0
By artsy_wish

A few hours later, I woke up from my nap feeling refreshed.

I still have some time left to spend. Let's see who else is around.

=Free Time=

Yasuhiro Hagakure:

I walked to the rec room and found Hiro there looking quite sad. I approached him.

"What's goin' on Hanako? I'm like, super exhausted, so I hope you don't need anything from me..." Hiro sighed.

"I'm sorry to hear that. Is there anything I could do to help?" I asked.

"Can you try to cheer me up, Hanako? I'm down in the dumps and I got no energy at all..." Hiro requested.

I did my best to cheer up a down-and-out Hiro. It didn't take long to get him smiling again.

"So! You changed your mind about getting your fortune told!?" Hiro asked.

"Nope... Actually, how do you do your fortune-telling, anyway? I saw you doing palm readings and stuff, and I didn't see you use any tools or anything," I said.

"Wow, I didn't know you knew about divination tools! Sounds like you know your way around the spirit world!" Hiro exclaimed.

"I just know the most popular tools stuff."

"Now that I know you're an expert, I have a question for you! A correct answer gets you another discount!"

"I told you, I don't want to know my future!"

Hiro ignored me. "There are 22 cards known as the Major Arcana, and 56 cards known as the Minor Arcana... Generally, the cards from the Major Arcana are used for divination. Do you know what I'm talking about!?"

"That's easy. You're talking about tarot cards!" I answered.

"Ahh, gloriously correct! I will now tell your fortune for a measly six hundred bones!"

"Hiro for the last time, I'm not interested!"

"I see... Well, like I said, if you ever change your mind, you know where to find me!"

"I know. Anyway, getting back on topic about what I asked you about before... If you don't use any tools or whatever, how do you do your fortune-telling?"

"Well, don't be fooled. I have my own techniques. For example, I employ numerology!"

"Numerology?"

"It uses a mathematical formula to predict the future based on birth dates, letter numbering, all that."

"If that's how you do it, then how come I didn't see you doing anything like that, either?"

"Well, it's more of an inspirational style of fortune-telling! Some kind of unknown power just acts through you, and suddenly, bam! You've got the info!"

"I believe the word for that is intuition."

"Don't try and describe it using such a cheesy word!"

"But if it's not intuition, then it's gotta be some kind of supernatural power!"

"Don't compare my clairvoyance to some occult bullcrap! I hate the occult! Take that crap somewhere else!" Hiro yelled.

"You hate the occult?" I asked.

"Yup! Now here's some good news. Act now, and I'll throw in an extra bonus on your reading! I used white magic to record a CD of spirit messages I received from the luxury suite of heaven! Five seconds of this baby, and you'll be witnessing miracles and communing with angels for days!" Hiro offered.

"And you said you hate the occult," I reminded him.

"Hey, business is business!" Hiro shot.

He's such a greedy little pig... I thought as I rejected Hiro's offer and walked out.

=======

Kyoko Kirigiri:

I went to the physics lab to explore the room some more, when I noticed Kyoko behind the air purifier. Her back was facing towards me.

"What's the matter? Are you keeping an eye on me?" Kyoko asked, startling me. "Don't worry. I'm not going to kill anyone."

How did she know I was here? "Well, I wasn't really. Do you want to hang out or something?" I asked.

Kyoko turned towards me. "I was just about to head to the dining hall to get something to drink. Do you want to come with me?"

I went to the dining hall and drank some tea with Kyoko. While we were there, an uncomfortable silence filled the room. I decided to start the conversation.

"So, Kyoko..."

"If you're expecting a conversation, don't. There's no need for it," Kyoko said.

"Why not? Don't you think talking is important? If we're going to get out of here, we all need to be on the same page. And to do that, we need to get to know each other."

"You could certainly make the argument that forming friendships may help prevent killings. But are you asking for some kind of deep connection?"

"Deep connection?"

"You could just be deceiving us, pretending to be everyone's friend so you can gather information."

"I'm not that type of person!"

"Well then, let's do a quick test, shall we?"

"What type of test?"

"If you're as gung-ho on friendship as you claim, this should be an easy question."

"A simple Q and A? Well then, fire away."

"Are you ready? You consider Hina one of your friends, yes? If that's true, what is her ultimate ability?" Kyoko questioned.

I smirked. "That's an easy one... Hina's the Ultimate Swimming Pro, of course."

Kyoko nodded her head. "Well...asked and answered. Then your pleas of camaraderie are true."

"Of course."

"Yes, of course. Such a foolishly open person as you could never lie. Everyone would know right away."

What's with the "foolishly open" stuff?

"Okay then, as promised... What would you like to know about me?" Kyoko questioned.

"Well... What school did you used to go to, before you came here?"

"Before I came here...? ... I guess I was living abroad."

"Living abroad? Was it an exchange program? Or did your parents work overseas or something?"

"... My parents? I suppose?"

She doesn't sound so sure... Perhaps she was living abroad because of one of her parent's jobs. I'll start with her father. "So what kind of work does your father do?"

"... Foreign government? Top secret clearance...?"

Question marks again...

"I kept up my end of the deal. This should be enough, right? I'm leaving now," Kyoko left before I could ask another question.

"She's so full of mystery," I muttered.

=======

Celestia Ludenberg:

I went to the kitchen to wash mine and Kyoko's cups when I ran into Celeste.

"Well, if it isn't D-rank Hanako. Is something the matter?"

"Nothing, everything is fine," I said.

"Well then, shall we have a bit of a conversation? Ah, but don't misunderstand. I have no affection for you on a personal level," Celeste said.

I spent some time with Celeste.

"Say Hanako...do you like mahjong?" Celeste asked.

"I played it a couple of times, but I always get confused and ended up losing. Chess is more up my alley," I explained.

"Is that so? A pity. I was hoping we might play together."

"I'm assuming you're good at it?"

"Good? No, I am not merely good. I once played a game of Russian roulette mahjong and won."

"Russian roulette?"

"It was a truly fierce contest, put on by a half-insane billionaire in the basement of his mansion. My opponents were a fierce old man and a silver-haired boy who was said to have the devil's own luck. We played with a modified rule set. I remember well the glass tiles we used..."

"And you won...?"

"I defeated them both at once. I will never forget the angry, twisted looks on their faces. The crowd that been invited to watch became positively riotous. Nobody could believe I had won. Hmhmhm. That is one of my fonder memories..." Celeste smiled at the memory.

I'm really glad I didn't agree to play mahjong with her. We said our goodbyes and I went off.

When I exited the dining hall, I saw Makoto leading Taka to the bathhouse.

I wonder what's going on? I quickly and quietly followed them.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

41.8K 1.2K 46
I am Haiyū Henka, the Ultimate Actress. It was expected of me by my family when I was accepted into Hope's Peak Academy, the place guaranteed for suc...
4.1K 433 56
Sachi Yayo is a girl that got into Hope's Peak Academy as the Ultimate Fanart Designer. The school had just been opened back up to the public a year...
43.3K 912 28
Y/N L/N, the Ultimate Daemonologist, has been invited to join the prestigious Hope's Peak Academy. Little did he know he would be thrust into a killi...
40.3K 952 60
A young girl enters Hope's Peak academy filled with hope. Little did she know she would learn a shocking truth which might just push her to the edge...