Date A Nightmare: Route Alter...

By MiraWhitlock

Looking at a scenery beyond of our imagination, Y/N has seen more soltitude than anybody else in this world... More

Author's Note
Illustrations
Prologue
Chapter 1.1: What Was The Feeling Of Saving Someone But Nobody Saves You At All?
Chapter 1.2: What Was The Feeling Of Saving Someone But Nobody Saves You At All?
Chapter 1.3: What Was The Feeling Of Saving Someone But Nobody Saves You At All?
Chapter 1.4: What Was The Feeling Of Saving Someone But Nobody Saves You At All?
Chapter 1.5: What Was The Feeling Of Saving Someone But Nobody Saves You At All?
Character: Itsuka Y/N
Short Chapter: Why Are You Jealous About Something You Already Have?
Chapter 2.1: W-Wait Shido! We Mustn't Do This! I'm Your Little Sister!
Chapter 2.2: W-Wait Shido! We Mustn't Do This! I'm Your Little Sister!
Chapter 2.3: W-Wait Shido! We Mustn't Do This! I'm Your Little Sister!
Chapter 2.4: W-Wait Shido! We Mustn't Do This! I'm Your Little Sister!
Short Chapter: Tokisaki-san Likes Kitten?
Chapter 3.1: Conspiracy In The Shadows Are Always Shrouded In Mystery
Chapter 3.2: Conspiracy In The Shadows Are Always Shrouded In Mystery
Chapter 3.3: Conspiracy In The Shadows Are Always Shrouded In Mystery
Chapter 3.4: Conspiracy In The Shadows Are Always Shrouded In Mystery
Chapter 3.5: Conspiracy In The Shadows Are Always Shrouded In Mystery
Chapter 3.7: Conspiracy In The Shadows Are Always Shrouded In Mystery
First Year Anniversary

Chapter 3.6: Conspiracy In The Shadows Are Always Shrouded In Mystery

314 10 6
By MiraWhitlock

Spacequakes, an enigmatic occurrence known to only a few, with the timing of its triggers eluding even someone as intelligent as myself. Humans aspire for intelligence, yet they remain unaware of the challenges that come with it. Achieving greatness prompts a cascade of questioning.

Though I habitually measure my success against others, I find little satisfaction in comparison. Regardless of my actions, success seems inevitable, breeding jealousy within my circle. Yet, none of this envy hinders my relentless pursuit of achievement, and failure remains an unfamiliar taste. As I alluded earlier, heightened intelligence prompts incessant questioning. Why do I unfailingly succeed? Why has failure eluded me?

Even those lacking in intellect sense something amiss. Despite being human, imperfect by nature, I stand as an exaggerated figure in mankind's awareness. The unknown phenomenon unfolding around me prompts self-doubt. Am I truly human?

Nightly, curiosity denies me rest. I yearn to unravel the truth, to witness the hidden secrets of the world. Will understanding the mysteries of spacequakes, the peculiar events in Tengu City, and more shed light on my own predicament?

My pursuit of truth, driving me to become a detective, takes an unforeseen turn. The adage holds true, curiosity indeed proves perilous on my journey to uncover the unknown.

*****

"Do you believe you're the sole wielder of the Indomitable Instinct?" As seconds pass, my heart quickens. "Our date has only begin. So, demonstrate your strength and end me with your most powerful blow."

Do I experience fear, or is it anticipation? When was the last instance I sensed this foreboding emotion in my heart? I believed it was forgotten, yet as I recall, the flames have undeniably reignited.

<Lieutenant, can you hear me?>

<Loud and clear.>

I have my pride as one of the strongest.

<We will going all out.>

<Pardon?>

Anyone who dare to insult me will face my full retaliation.

"Show me the strength of the former Adeptus." With a hint of mockery behind her mischievous smile, I replied, accepting her arrogant challenge.

"As you wish!"

From the surface, I soar high up at the opponent's direction to close the distance to my fighting range. In response, the Shinigami did so as well. I'm aware that I'll be the one on the receiving end if ever our blade clash midair, thanks to the laws of gravity, making her attack heavier than it should be. With that in my mind, I made a bluff charge, calculated the exact pinpoint, and at the right time, instead of facing it head on, I evaded her attack few centimeters away from the tip of her blade. I barely did it, but that was still not enough to cement the results. Shinigami had her own set of surprises as well.

She halt right exactly at the pinpoint which it should be normally impossible. The velocity should make it hard for her to halt through the air. Though as incomprehensible as it seems, I remained calm and collected while maintaining my composure as I immediately reacted accordingly.

Switching our place, I took the high grounds and gained an enormous amount of advantage, flipping the table in my favor. I slashed my blade at the opponent which the latter deflects in retaliate.

The impact made a loud bang sound; smokes and rubbles covered around the area, following it with a rain of bullets, not allowing my opponent to give a breathing space. Upon hit, the Shinigami multiplied into countless imitation. They charge at me all at once. In response, I quickly hid behind the huge buildings around, using the environment to my advantage.

Fighting them all in an open space will lead to a risk of being attack in all sides, but with the help of these buildings acting as a buffer, I can focus on one side and dwindle their numbers slowly, but surely. Although I may appear confident, I ain't a fool. I know my limits. I won't contest a fight against number if I think I'll lose. Pride worth nothing and will not lead you to a desirable outcomes and results when you were at the battlefield. It's like an unspoken rule and one must know it.

As I cut through the waves of imitation, I used my senses to locate where the real body was, but even after an effort, it seems like she's not present there at all aside from her clones as if she was just toying me from the start.

<Lieutenant.> Nii-san immediately understood his homework.

<Hiding at the building near the impact point.>

<Copy that. Provide support.>

<Roger that.>

Ignoring all the clones scattered around the area, I burst through with haste to the said location. Whenever there's an imitation who tries to hinder my advance, it will be immediately shot down from the distance thanks to Nii-san's support. His skills in sniper surely is worth mentioning. Upon arrival, with just one glance, I immediately recognize where she really was among the mass imitation scattered around the road. I took off and started walking at her, unfazed by the pressure emitted by a huge army prepared to charge at me all at once.

"I've predetermined your destiny, firmly grasped in the palm of my hand," I declared. "Abandon hope and seek penance for your transgressions. Though, I won't grant forgiveness for disrupting their family vacation and causing them pain."

Despite my intimidation, I hear no response. I sigh thinking she's a stubborn one. Once I flex my blade, preparing myself to dive in, the clones began their stance, waiting for my arrival. When I started bolting with haste, they also did the same. I dashed through the waves with ease, cutting through each one within my range, though as expected, it won't be an easy task to bring her down.

One of her clones managed to repel my sword, leaving me unarmed. Of course, they didn't let this chance slip by. They all charge at me with their bloodlust. If they are thinking they've won, then they must be naive. When one slashes her sword unto me, I simply evaded it with ease, grab her wrist, and twisted her arm in dislocation, releasing her weapon from her grasp. I took the blade hoping I could use, but it vanished.

I was about to get disappointed when they immediately did their next attack, not giving me a chance to think nor to break. Three clones tried to slit my flesh. I spin around midair in response, dodging their attack barely, and did a counterattack. I kick the two in their head and took the other one's face, and slammed it to the ground, all at once.

"You're also fairly well in hand-to-hand combat, huh," she commented. "What a troublesome fellow."

Right exactly at that moment, someone thrown my blade unto me. I caught it without even looking.

"Why did you took so long?" I grumbled.

"I apologize; I arrived from a distance in the rain. Naturally, it took me some time to get here, and I had to address some issues you left behind on the way," he countered. "Do you understand how challenging it was to handle those?"

"Whatever. You owe me a fries later."

"That's absurd, but sure, it's a promise."

After a short banter, the battle continues. Once I set my eyes upon the real one, we both began attacking her simultaneously with each of our attack synchronously. Receiving a sudden barage, the Shinigami had no choice, but to took a huge step behind. I didn't let the chance to slip by and made a daring strike, swinging my sword directly which she retaliate by fending, causing her balance to collapse, sending her down to the lowest floor of the building.

With no hint of hesitation in our eyes, we thrown ourselves inside and continue our assault, not giving her time to rest. The latter quickly got up in response, probably sensing the danger that will be fallen unto her. We attack her in two separate directions with no hint of mercy, but with her nimble skills, making contact and chances that we can cut through her skin is almost non-existent. Atleast that's what my intuition told me so. If that was the case, then I'll just change my fighting style to range. With Nii-san acting as a vanguard, I started shooting her relentlessly until I exhaust the magazine.

It's still no use. If we can't use our raw skills to take her down, then we will use the surroundings. It was just a matter of seconds that our gaze met, but Nii-san immediately understood my intention. After reloading, I once again shoot her while Nii-san seems like he was leading her to some specific places. After I released the last bullet I had in magazine, I took no time to instruct him.

"NOW!"

We left the building as quickly as we could, and right after we did so, it began to collapse. Indeed, as Nii-san led her to some places, I actually already shooting the foundations and pretended that my target was her as to caught the Shinigami off guard. We clean up the imitations that has been left outside as we watch the Shinigami get buried in rubbles. Just as I thought we won, my instincts suddenly kicks in. It was screaming so loud that my heartbeat race and even under the cold raining weather condition, I sweat profusely.

It says only one thing, demise.

Prior to being able to caution Nii-san about the foreboding sensation intensifying within me, it became evident that I had acted too late. Dismissing her clones as inferior and assuming they were not genuine due to their lower proficiency, I was naive. Unaware that I was unwittingly ensnared from the beginning, she manipulated me with misleading information, portraying her clones as weaker than the authentic version. I inadvertently lowered my guard.

As absurd as it may seem, every clone embodies the true essence of her. To eliminate Shinigami, I must eradicate all her duplicates. However, with Shinigami replicating endlessly and without constraint, defeating her becomes an unattainable fantasy, unless we engage in a battle of attrition until she exhausts herself. Yet, observing her, she appears unfazed. Frustration clenched my fist as I realized the vast difference in our combat abilities. To her, I am merely an insignificant presence, while she holds the power to end lives at will.

With all my hopes shattered, my knees fell down in defeat, accepting my inevitable end. All I can do is to watch Nii-san get cut into slices of meat, putting an end to his clone. Shinigami then turn her eyes at me, marking me as her next prey. Everytime her foot sets forward, I feel like time is going through slowly.

My head is getting numb in fear, filling it with mixed thoughts as I can't even lift my limbs a single centimeter. I lose my will to fight. Escape is impossible as I'm surrounded in all direction. Reinforcement won't do anything either. I'm left alone at the lion's den, waiting for the final chapter to close.

"May you forgive my rudeness," although she said such things, she has no remorse shown in her voice whatsoever. "I'll take your soul to appease my hunger."

Shinigami raised her blade, ready to terminate my life, when an immensely potent Reiryoku burst forth from behind. We both gazed in astonishment as the explosion of spiritual energy created a dense black mist, shrouding parts of Tengu City. From a distance, it appeared that anyone who came into contact with the fog turned into frozen statues. I stood there, bewildered and unable to utter a word, as my eyes witnessed such phenomena for the first time. As I was froze in terror, Shinigami chuckled.

"Oh well, it seems like you made it in time. Congratulations for witnessing the Hermit's awakening, the Inverse," she continued. "As a consolation prize for your luck, I'll let you see the person behind this mask."

"Y-y-you....."

Initially, disbelief clouds my perception, but my discerning eyes prevent me from being misled. I scrutinize him, questioning, with my gaze holding an inquiry.

"Takamiya Mana, I welcome you open arms to these turmoil I brew."

My chest seethe in rage as I look at his handsomely smirking face, not bothered by the sins he committed. Everyone has been deceived, including me. I had a lot of questions, but my head is in mess to ask.

"Why...?" I don't understand why would he do such things. What drive him to do these? "Haha, why?"

All I can say, he is absolutely crazy to the core. I have no words to describe him other than being insane.

"JUST WHY ARE YOU DOING THIS, NI-"

A/N: Gotta censor the N-word.

*****

In a world plagued by the imminent threat of spacequakes, a destructive phenomena capable of decimating entire cities, and in response to the escalating threat posed by the enigmatic entities known as Spirits, a semblance of order emerges as the global community unites to form the United World Government, also known as UniWorG. Established with the primary objective of safeguarding Earth from the peril posed by the Spirits, this global alliance becomes the last line of defense against the impending catastrophe.

The world's leading global superpowers have dispatched each representatives along with their secretary who have experience handling international affairs to contribute in this eradication effort. Ted Smith, president of the United States, convened a meeting at the Pentagon to discuss the objective they'll be taking in detail, as well as polishing finer political conference that may hinder the progress of their mission.

Seven well known nation participated. France, Germany, United Kingdom, Russian Federation, the People's Republic of China, Japan, and the United States of America, where each sent their best wizard they had to boast their own muscles. Even in the face of the impending calamity, each nation have their own sets of conflict to deal with. Mr. Smith sigh exhausted, well aware of what was happening. Nevertheless, he shook his head off and decided to proceed.

"Has everyone arrived?" He asked.

"The representative of the United Kingdom has not yet present at the moment, Mr. President," replied by his adjuctant.

"Let us wait for a couple minute, then we will start regardless of their presence."

"Yes, sir, understood."

A few minutes before the scheduled meeting time, the individual in question casually arrived, strolling without a care and took his seat with a relaxed demeanor.

"Heya! My apologies for my late arrival."

"It's fine, Mr. Lewis; you're not tardy yet, though kindly remember to come earlier next time. Your conduct mirrors the norms and etiquette of your homeland. We're not here for a tea ceremony, keep that in mind," he scolds. "Well then, since everyone is now here, let's start this conference. For those who doesn't understand English, please use the translation function programmed in your Realizer Unit."

He said while pointing at his neck implying what they should do. "You may not know each other yet so let's begin with some introduction. Please include your global ranking as you speak. First, although you guys may already knew, as a courtesy, I'm Ted Smith, president of the United States."

With him leading the way, others followed.

"Hello everybody! My name is Mei Ling Wang! Representative of China! Global ranking? Heh, it's seven." A petite looking girl stood up in a heartbeat and introduced herself with a smile radiating from her face. Soon, others followed.

"Anastasia Andriy Voronin, rank fifth, representative of the Russian Federation. I'm looking forward to work with you, comrades."

"Bonjour, my name is Adele Claire Slyvie from France. Ranking nine in the global rankings."

"Kagenou Shin. Japan. 6."

"Guten Tag. I'm Lena Von Heinrich from Germany, rank second. It's my pleasure to meet you all."

"Greetings. My name is Nathalie Van Sistine, representative of the United States, holding the first seat in the global rankings."

"Heya! Darren Zen Lewis here from the United Kingdom. Although I maybe rank eight, please do your best not to hold me back, kay?"

Wtih all representatives completed their introduction, Smith sat straight as he gaze over the room with authority.

"Now that we've concluded our polite introductions, let's move forward," he announced. "Recently, there have been numerous unusual occurrences in one of the cities in Japan, Tengu City. Our intelligence indicates that it has become a hotspot for Spirits. Your task is to coordinate with Deus-Ex Machina Industries, conduct a thorough investigation, and,"

His momentary pause heightened the suspense, yet everyone in the room had already anticipated the impending words.

"For the sake of humanity, we will eliminate till the last of them."

*****

As the Sister and I face each other in the battlefield, trying to fight for what we believe is right, a sudden explosion of immensely potent Reiryoku burst forth from the distance where Mana and Y/N was. A thick black mist materialized, enveloping sections of Tengu City. Unexplainably, a sense of unease washed over me. The Sister, noting my perplexed expression, proceeded to address the questions lingering in my mind.

"Seems like the Hermit has finally turn Inverse, huh. All according to the plan, I see."

The words came through her mouth made me simmer in rage, but I keep my cool to a certain degree.

"You must be kidding me."

"If I do, then can you explain to me what you see?"

I'm left speechless. I don't want to believe it. No, more like I'm just turning my gaze away from reality, trying to deceived myself. There's no way..

What are you thinking, Kurumi? This is not the moment to succumb to fear. All I can do is take a step forward and confront the inevitable reality. Brace myself, tighten my fist, and fortify my determination. There's still a glimmer of hope. As long as I have bullets in my flintlock, I can face it. Contemplating these thoughts, someone swiftly approached us with astonishing speed and landed between us.

Just as I feared, with an extremely dense Reiryoku surrounding her, she went a radical change in appearance upon transformation. Along her is a huge dark beast, with a sharp long fangs, and raging gaze that resembles his owner. For a moment, I wasn't able to recognize her.

Nevertheless, I'm not prepared to fight her, let alone an Inverse.

To be continued
Chapter 3.7: Conspiracy In The Shadows Are Always Shrouded In Mystery

******

A/N: Sorry for the seven months I was gone, lol. I'll try my best to update the story.

[If you like the chapter, I recommend for you to click the vote button, and comment your thoughts about the story. Please follow me here in Wattpad if you want!]

- 12/10/23
- 3141

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

329K 19K 72
Y/N L/N is an enigma. Winner of the Ascension Project, a secret project designed by the JFU to forge the best forwards in the world. Someone who is...
470K 13.7K 105
"aren't we just terrified?" 9-1-1 and criminal minds crossover 9-1-1 season 2- criminal minds season 4- evan buckley x fem!oc
626K 38.2K 102
Kira Kokoa was a completely normal girl... At least that's what she wants you to believe. A brilliant mind-reader that's been masquerading as quirkle...
1.1M 44.4K 51
Being a single dad is difficult. Being a Formula 1 driver is also tricky. Charles Leclerc is living both situations and it's hard, especially since h...