Kill My Time | luke hemmings...

By solar_fIare

Kaley Knight has had unfortunate bad luck when it came to love. She fell in love with one of her brothers bes... More

kill my time
chapter one
chapter two
chapter three
chapter four
chapter five
chapter six
chapter seven
chapter eight
chapter nine
chapter ten
chapter eleven
chapter twelve
chapter thirteen
chapter fourteen
chapter fifteen
chapter sixteen
chapter seventeen
chapter eighteen
chapter nineteen
chapter twenty
chapter twenty-two
chapter twenty-three
chapter twenty-four
chapter twenty-five
chapter twenty-six
chapter twenty-seven
chapter twenty- eight
chapter twenty-nine
chapter thirty
acknowledgments
want you back
question

chapter twenty-one

1K 29 2
By solar_fIare

MOM WASN'T EXCITED about me going to Australia for Christmas. I knew she wouldn't be. The apartment was going to be extremely empty compared to what she is used to, but she was right. I am an adult now and I can make my own choices.

That's why I skipped into the tattoo shop with a grin. Cassie shot me a confused look but all I did was hand her the laminated piece of paper. She grinned at me and took it to look at it.

"Look at you. Once you get back from your trip you can start working with small tattoos on people," she told me before putting my tattooing license and health certification in a folder so she can get it a frame. Once I get my own spot in the shop I'll have them hanging on the wall.

"Thank you again for letting me go. I know it's such short notice," I said sitting down on the chair she had. She was getting things ready for a client and I would watch it for the first time. It was going to be so different than doing it on a grapefruit.

"Kaley, even when you are tattooing on your own you make your own schedule," she commented. "Besides, it's the holidays. We don't get much here aside from people coming in to get a gift certificate."

I wrung my hands together. "Yeah, but I just feel bad because I'm new," I commented, making her reach over and flick me in the middle of my forehead without looking away. She reminded me of my brother, hands down.

A man with a lot of tattoos stepped into the shop and she went over the basic procedure. I assume that since he has a lot she didn't really need to go over the entire thing step by step, but he still had to sign a waiver. He did grumble about it though.

"Getting them to sign that before you start is super important," she told me as the man got comfortable. "You could do it after but to cover yourself it's best to do it now."

I nodded in understanding, watching as she set everything up. The man was patient as she explained everything step by step. The worst part about the entire thing is having to watch the needle going into the skin, but it was something I surprisingly was able to get over quickly.

"Kaley," Owen called out, making me spin my chair around. It was so tempting to make myself dizzy but Cassie already yelled at me for that. "I have a simple tattoo. Do you want to do it instead of having to wait?"

I stared at him wide-eyed, only moving because Cassie kicked my chair over to him. "Uh, sure. Are you okay with this?" I asked the female who had her arm in position already. She had an outline of Stitch ready to be filled in.

She gave me a gentle smile. "Of course. You have to try someday," she told me as I began to prepare the items. Owen watched me carefully with his arms crossed and since he didn't say anything I assumed I did it right.

I stepped on the petal hearing the familiar buzz and took a deep breath before dipping the needle into the black ink. It hit her skin without hesitation otherwise, I would have never started.

It didn't take long before I switched over to the needles for the color. "Do you need a break?" I asked her, earning a shake of her head.

Another hour flew by and the first tattoo I was able to do on human skin was done. I was very proud of it too and she loved it. She thanked me and we took a video and photo of it. She gave the money to me which I handed straight to Owen who shook his head.

"You did the tattoo, you get the money," he said, instantly making me feel bad.

"But it was your client," I insisted, prying his palm open and putting the money in it. He counted the bills and handed me some.

"Then you get the tip," he said, leaving no room for argument. I smiled at him, feeling a little bit better.

Cassie whistled over the sound of her own needles. "Dang, you learn fast. I've never seen a newbie do a tattoo as perfect as that," she commented as Owen took his seat.

I shrugged. "If it was my own tattoo I'd want to make sure it was perfect. The guilt would eat me alive anyway if I let someone walk out of here with a poor tattoo," I told her, grabbing my bag of chips. Luke's name flashed on my screen and my heart squeezed. I haven't told him yet and I feel terrible about it. I just wanted to surprise him, that's all.

"Hey," I greeted after I stepped out of the shop.

"Hey you," he said, yelling at one of the boys to be quiet. "I have a question for you." He took a deep breath as if he was gathering courage. "Would you like to spend the holidays with me in Australia?"

My heart dropped. How was I going to tell him no just to surprise him?

"Luke, I already have plans," I stammered, trying not to picture the heartbroken look on his face. It was a little hard.

"Oh, um, yeah. Of course," he mumbled, feeling disheartened. "It's too soon anyway."

"It's not that.  I would absolutely love to spend the holidays with you, Luke. I don't think it's too soon for it," I softly told him.

He sighed heavily. "I just didn't want you to think that I was moving our relationship too fast," he explained and I could just picture him running his hands through his curls.

Next week couldn't come fast enough. I can't wait to see the look on his face. "I don't think that at all. If you would have asked a week ago, I would have been able to say yes."

I could picture the sad smile on his features. "Can we at least Facetime? I wanted to give you your present in person so you'll have to wait until I get back from the tour," he said, trying to hide the upset tone in his voice.

"Of course, Luke. I wouldn't have it any other way," I softly told him, hoping it helped a bit. I wanted to get the other boys in on the surprise now, but with Crystal surprising Michael it would be hard.

After we hung up, I sent her a text telling her that I had to lie and feel like a terrible girlfriend about it. She shot me one back only to tell me to shut up because there was a greater cause at play. I rolled my eyes and stepped back into the shop. Cassie grinned at me.

"So, want to try another tat?"

MOM WAS IN my apartment when I got home and Lucy was irritated on the couch. She had her guitar on her lap but it was just sitting there. She pointed to my Mom and made the motion to get her out of there.

"Mom, what are you doing?" I asked, setting my bag on the floor. Our stove was spotless yet she scrubbed it like there was months of grease innit.

"Cleaning. Isn't it that obvious?" She retorted moving onto the countertops.

"And how long have you been here?" I asked slowly, taking the sponge away from her. Her hand paused in mid-air still clutched like the sponge wasn't taken.

She shrugged. "Your place is messy."

I shared a look with Lucy because we kept it pretty clean in here. "Mom, you can't come in while Lucy is working like this. It's not just my apartment."

Mom blinked a few times before she looked over at Lucy who sarcastically waved. She seemed surprised to see my roommate there as if she didn't realize she was here in the first place. I placed my hands on her shoulders and guided her out of the apartment.

"Go take a nap, Mom. You'll feel better," I said watching as she walked to the elevator. I shut the door when the elevator doors closed.

"Is she okay? I was being really loud and directly talking to her," Lucy asked, putting her guitar to the side. I fell next to her and sighed.

"She's done this a few times. She will be, just needs rest," I told her, relaxing on the couch. My hand was cramped from the multiple tattoos I did. For wanting me to wait, Cassie sure loved passing them on to me today. They put a sign outside saying small tattoo walk-ins welcomed and that was my practice.

I actually was able to do some really decent ones aside from one. It was the girl's first and she put it on her lower back. She wouldn't stop moving and I made the one wing crooked. Cassie helped me make it look better but it still annoyed me.

She kicked my foot. "Where did you disappear to today?" She asked getting up to get a water bottle.

I gave her a cheeky smile. "It's a surprise for everyone when we get back from the trip," I said, excited to show everyone. We're spending the holidays in Australia but there are two weeks before their next concert so they'll be home for a little.

Midway through my third tattoo Luke called again to tell me that. Apparently, he forgot and is excited he doesn't have to wait to give me his present. He is so adorable.

"How's my drawing coming along?" She asked, making me grin. I took the chain from around my neck and unlocked the sketchbook. The key was the safest around my neck. I flipped open the page and let her hold it.

The wings weren't done yet, but the body of the bat was in the middle of the page. It had skulls in its eyes and visible fangs.

"Is there anything else you want me to add to it?" I asked, ready to take a mental note.

"Maybe some stars or bats in the background?" She said unsurely. "I want to get a sleeve eventually and have it all tied in nicely."

I shifted so I was facing her. "Where do you want it? Right here," I asked, pointing to her forearm. She shook her head.

"No, my bicep. I have plans for my forearm, I just want you to draw it," she explained, handing me back my book.

"Can I see your arm? It'll help with my scaling," I asked, waiting patiently for her to take off her sweatshirt. I sized up her arm knowing that I could do it with the computer once it's time. It's for dramatic effect.

"I just hope whoever I find can do your artwork justice," she groaned, making me bite my lip.

"I've actually found one for you," I said, her mouth dropping in surprise. "What did you think I was going to let some random person mimic my artwork when that's what you want? Nah," I said, waving her off in a joking manner.

She sighed into the vouch. "That's one less thing I have to worry about. Now I just need to finish this song," she grumbled gesturing to her guitar, hitting the tips of her fingers on the wood. I laughed as she tried to shake the pain.

"What do you have?" I asked leaning over to see her book.

I'm not your sideline girl.

"I'm trying to write about my last ex. If I write a song, it'll get out of my system. Like flushing toxins out. It's always worked and I haven't been able to write one about him yet," she explained, holding onto the finger she hurt. "I want to give my all to Calum. I think it could go somewhere."

The confession came out in a whisper. She was scared and I understood that perfectly.

"Do you want help? I've helped Gustavo sometimes when he was going through some writer's block," I offered, not wanting to see her struggle.

She gave me a half-hearted smile. "Thanks but no. This is something I need to do alone," Lucy said, strumming her guitar a bit.

"Do you want to talk about it? It might help jog something," I gently asked, not wanting to push her at all. I've heard all about her exes but not this one.

Lucy puffed out her cheeks and to my surprise, the words just started spilling from her mouth. "He strung me along for months. He told me he wasn't happy with his girlfriend but couldn't break up with her because it would cause issues in the families since they are close. I hung onto every word he said and believed him and then..." She trailed off looking down, still upset about whatever it was.

"Then he got married to her. He went and told everyone I was trying to break them up the entire time. I was so embarrassed and left to come here. That's why I felt terrible for the whole James thing. I never wanted that to happen to someone else."

"Did anyone ever figure out he wasn't telling the truth?" I asked, getting up to get the last slice of cake we had for her. It was mine, but she didn't like physical affection or comfort so this is the next best thing.

She took it without hesitation. "Only a few days ago. Calum's stupid pickup line was the first thing to make me feel happy since."

"You could have told me. I know you're not the feelings type of person but you could have told me that something happened and you needed cheering up," I told her. A sheepish look crossed her face, her cheeks puffed out with cake.

"I know. I appreciate you, Kaley. You're a great friend," she said.

"I know. Let me know if you change your mind about my help," I said, grabbing my things to go take a nap.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

348K 6K 66
/ˌmɛtəˈnɔɪə/ noun The journey of changing one's mind, heart, self, or way of life Highest rating: #3 Chris Evans (17th March 2020)
101K 3.7K 26
#1 in moriartyxreader [01/10/18] #44 in Sherlock [20/11/18] -New School? Check -New Friends? Check -Kinda Popular? Check Okay, good so far, let's mov...
807K 30K 105
The story is about the little girl who has 7 older brothers, honestly, 7 overprotective brothers!! It's a series by the way!!! 😂💜 my first fanfic...
60.1K 3.4K 30
Baekhyun receives cute letters from someone who secretly fancies him. ©️BaekingSomeByuns Idea Created: July 26 2019