Degrees Of Honor The Honor S...

Galing kay lyonmom

Running from a dangerous past has made Cassie McAfferty paranoid and extremely careful about who she lets in... Higit pa

Prologue
Chapter one
Chapter two
Chapter three
Chapter four
Chapter five
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Chapter 30
Chapter 31
Chapter 32
Chapter 33
Chapter 34
Chapter 35
Epilogue

Chapter 26

166 23 1
Galing kay lyonmom

Thank you for reading Enjoy

Chapter 26

Doc

As an old SEAL, I'm perfectly comfortable being back in action. Of course, I didn't plan on hiding in the limbs of a tree at the back of Cassie's house. Along with the fire team we brought with us, the house is secure from the outside. We can rest easy now that the exterior of the house is just as secure.

The Colonel is aware Travis has gone back inside. He trusts his daughter is safe with the boy. Although he hasn't seen the way Cassie looks at Travis or the way he dotes on the child. I would say the gunney is soft on both of them. That isn't a bad thing. It would be a good idea if the boy told the old man before he figures it out himself.

Climbing into this tree wasn't the best idea I've had. I'd have preferred my old recliner in my living room. I can sit for hours there, with the remote in one hand, a glass of sweet tea in the other, watching a ballgame with the sound of my wife cooking in the kitchen. That's my life now retired and old.

I've grown too old for this kind of excitement. It's more than I want to admit at my age. I like my comfort and stability. I'm entitled to that much after all the years I spent serving Uncle Sam.

Shifting in the tree, the Colonel looks over the branches at me. Sitting cross legged on the crook of a branch, peering through a pair of night vision goggles, he keeps watch.

It's a flashback to years ago when the two of us had been on missions together. We were in similar positions back then watching from the trees as we waited for the order to move in. The memories are bittersweet, remembering my brothers, and mourning them as well.

"Any change on the west?" the Colonel whispers, just loud enough for me to hear.

Pulling the goggles away from my face, I glance over at the Colonel. His frustration is obvious by the frown on his face. "Not a damn thing. If that idiot plans on doing something tonight, it better be soon. My legs and ass have fallen asleep. If I have to get down from here fast, I might as well just fall out. Won't be able to stand once I get down." My complaint is ignored. Feeling my age, I'm getting cranky, curled up in the damn tree.

"Looks like Cassie has gone to bed. All the lights are out. McKennan is on watch." Pulling the goggles down I look at my friend. "I saw him in the center, upstairs window."

"Looks like our friend isn't coming back tonight." My observation is ignored as I shift my position. "John, why don't we let the youngsters sit in the trees?"

"I want a good vantage point. I would be ambushed out here." Same old John. He doesn't trust anyone to do as good of a job as he will. Someday he won't be the best and it's going to piss him off.

"Earl! Nine o'clock!" John ordered, causing me to bobble the goggles. Good thing I have the rope around my neck. Looking in the direction specified, I see it too.

"Subject located." A Marine reported through the radio. In the distant darkness, one of the men was reporting in. He had seen the movement across the backyard in the shadows as well.

"Pursue at a distance. " John spoke quietly into the radio. We have Anthony Dean at last.

Now, we just need to notify Travis he is no longer alone. Taking advantage of technology, I text Mel with the news. She'll get word to Travis.

John leans back and takes a deep breath. His wife will want to know what was happening. She had been upset when he left, but he couldn't wait any longer for news. He had to get to Cassie. His girl was in trouble, that's all he could think about. I understand the worries of a father.

Slipping from his spot, the Colonel headed back to the black van parked off the dirt road. It's time to move into place. We need to make the call before Dean slips away and causes Cassie more distress. The news of what happened between her father and Dean's uncle all those years ago needs to come from him, not the man who is here to harm her.

"Move in! Keep to the boundary line. He's here, we don't want to scare him off. Keep icy!" The Colonel ordered into the walkie.

Following the Colonel out of the trees, we headed for the road trusting our men to protect Cassie. Limping slightly as I try to regain feeling in my leg, I slap my thigh and shake my leg. Walking in step with my friend, the two of us move silently through the woods.

Dean won't be getting away.

Travis

I knew immediately when I saw the figure slip into the shadows, I had to move. Waiting until morning would be too late to catch the son of a bitch. Dean would expect me to wait until daybreak before I considered leaving Cassie again.

He's preparing for an attack now and will be setting me up for an ambush in the morning. I can't wait any longer. Gently easing out of Cassie's bed, I crept out of the room and down the hall. Stopping abruptly at the sight of Cassie in the nursery's doorway, her arms crossed over her chest. She knows what I'm about to do.

"Get back in there. Lock the door and stay put!" Giving her the order, I walked away leaving her baffled by the way I just left her there.

"Excuse me! You don't give me orders!" She argued following me down the hall.

"I just did! Don't argue with me over this. Cassie, our time is up. I have to go now or we're going to be ambushed. I know how he thinks. This is my job, Cassie. Please, you promised me." Reminding her of her word wasn't necessary but it did what it was intended to do.

Cassie stepped back into the doorway of the nursery. Moving to the far bedroom, I went to the closet and got my gun. I know she's watching me. I know she's listening. What I'm about to do she won't like at all, but this is the only chance we have now. Pulling out my cell phone, I dialed the memorized number, that up until now, I've refused to use.

"Sir, I'm sorry to wake you." I began.

"You didn't, son." The Colonel answered from the safety of the van.

"I think it would be best for you to come get your daughter, sir. Cassie and the baby are fine, but there is trouble and you should be here." I looked over my shoulder at Cassie. The confused look on her face changed as it dawned on her what was about to happen.

"I'm already here." John said, understanding what that meant. He was the backup Mel had hinted at. "The house is secure. Go find Dean, do your job, marine."

I understood the order without the necessity of explanation. Find the enemy and eliminate the threat. It was understood. "Yes, sir."

"My father." Cassie stated, not needing a reply. "He's coming, isn't he?"

"He's here." Turning away from the shocked expression on her face, I pulled out my duffle bag and began to pack.

It hit her instantly what I was doing. "Why are you packing? What are you doing? You're leaving us?"

She was breaking his heart with the fear in her voice. How could she think, after all this, he would walk out on her?

"I'm doing my job, Cassie," I reminded her before turning to see her face. The tears she is holding back are shimmering in her eyes. Quickly, I realized what was running through her head.

Shaking my head, I dropped the boots I held in my hand and went to her. Reaching out I clutched her tight against my chest. "I'm not leaving you." I whispered as my head rested against hers. Tenderly my lips brush over her forehead. "God, Cassie, I couldn't even if I tried." Pulling back to look down at her, I need her to understand my position. "I asked your father to come to get you to safety. You can't be alone here while I do my job."

There's still hurt and confusion in her eyes. She doesn't understand what I have to do. She doesn't know what my orders are. Perhaps it's better this way. Perhaps it's better she doesn't know what I'm about to do, and the risk I'm taking. It's dangerous and I'm a dangerous man. I'm willing to risk my life to save hers.

She will try to stop me if she really understands what my intentions are. If she understood, I am going to hunt and kill Anthony Dean. Her baby's father. I have every intention of torturing that bastard for all the pain he caused Cassie. She can't understand it. I'm doing what is best for everyone.

"If you aren't leaving, then, what is this? I don't understand." A sob broke through her words as she gripped my t-shirt in her hands.

"Your father will be here soon to keep you safe." Trying not to go into any details, I avoid looking at her eyes.

"I'm safe with you! I don't need him! I need you, Travis." Cassie stopped me from walking away and stared up at me as what I'm about to do hit her.

Those baby blues narrowed on mine. Her lips part in disbelief of what she knows to be true. "No, you can't. Travis, he'll kill you in a heartbeat. Please, don't do this."

"Then it'll be an equal fight." I muttered as I took hold of her wrists and tugged her hands away to release her hold. "I have to do this, Cassie."

I wish she didn't understand as well as she does. I need her to just let me go do my job. Just so I can take care of this the only way I know how. "This is what I'm trained to do, Cassie. This is what Dean is trained for. Don't get in the way."

Her grip loosens, but instead of moving aside, she steps in front of the duffle bag to not let me pass. There is no way she is going to let me go after Dean alone. She knows all too well what the man is capable of. "I'm coming with you." Cassie stubbornly digs her heels in.

"Hell, no!" I bellowed, nudging her out of my way. "Cassie, he's done enough damage to you. I won't allow you to put yourself in danger again because of me. Do you understand that? I'm not doing this because your father ordered me to, not anymore. I'm not doing it because it's my job to protect you. I'm doing this because I..."

The words almost came out but I stopped myself. The timing is all wrong to admit how I feel. The anger in my voice, and the way my hands are trembling in fear of losing her are a clear indication of everything that could go wrong if she came with me.

In my panic to convince her to stay put, I almost told her words that should be said in peace. It's not fair to say them when there's a chance I wouldn't be coming back to her. I know my job and the risks I took taking this assignment. It isn't fair to tell Cassie I love her only to never come back to her. I can't give her my heart and then take it away. It's better to not give it at all.

"I'm doing this because I care about what happens to you and Jacob." I can give her that much. It isn't a lie but it's not the whole truth either.

By the hurt on her face, I know that I damaged what we had built. My heart sank knowing I might have ruined everything. Looking away from her, I stay focused on my anger. It masks my own fear of losing her.

"It's more than that." Cassie softly argues. Grabbing my arm, she searches my face for something, anything, to explain the wall that just slapped her in the face.

"Yes." I confirm what she knows. I can't deny how strong my feelings are for her. "We don't have time for this conversation. There's more I need to say to you but it has to wait until I get back." My hands cradle her face, bringing her lips to mine . "I'm coming back." I made a vow I don't know if I can keep. I shouldn't have done that but it's too late now. Suddenly the roar of an engine interrupts my thoughts. That's what I was waiting for. The van pulled up the drive, shining its headlights into the window of the room. "You're father's here."

"How?" Cassie frowned confused at first, but everything I said clicked. "He's been here all along?"

Knowing I deceived her, I can't look into her eyes. "When I phoned him, your father said he was already here. He and Doc Earl have been in communication. From what Mel said, Doc was my backup if I needed him. I didn't know until tonight. I'm sorry."

Cassie looked at the window and nodded. All I can do now is come clean with her and hope she understands. I didn't completely lie to her, I just left plenty out, it seemed. "Were you going to tell me about Doc Earl and Mel?"

"When the time was right. I just found out myself. Look, I don't want you to be alone, or afraid. I didn't want to lie and lose your trust, Cassie. I don't want to lose you. I hope you understand I had a job to do." I heard the knock on the front door and knew my time was up.

Zipping up my bag, I pulled it over my shoulder and headed to the stairs. "Your dad loves you. Don't push him away. Explain what happened to your father, Cassie. Tell him what you told me, at your own pace, and he will understand."

I hesitated as I searched for what I wanted to say. This could be my last chance to tell her anything. There's so much I want to say, but all of it has to wait. Without another word, I left Cassie standing at the top of the stairs and headed down the door alone.

Please remember to vote comment and share if you are enjoying this book thank you

Ipagpatuloy ang Pagbabasa

Magugustuhan mo rin

577K 13.1K 32
When Rebecca moves back to her hometown for a friend's wedding, unfortunate circumstances put her near her ex-boyfriend, who left her completely brok...
13K 863 27
At the age of eighteen, Katelyn McAdams learned the hard way about stalkers. Four years later, and fresh out of college with a bachelor's degree she...
1.2M 36.3K 49
[COMPLETED] Book #1 in the Loving You series She was the light in my life when everything else was clouded with darkness. - Jason ~*~ Daisy McKenwa...
98.5K 1.2K 6
The wrong man will always find a reason to leave, while the right man will find every reason to Stay The Full Circle has made a name for itself as ha...