The Tale of Two Hearts | Tedr...

By ZoeyDiggoryWood

"Of all the tales in all the kingdoms in all the woods, you had to walk into mine." The three friends Sophie... More

Introduction
Chapter 1: The Nightmare
Chapter 2: Chaos and Kidnapping
Chapter 3: The School Master's Arrival:
Chapter 4: The Mistake:
Chapter 5: Agatha's Discovery
Update!!
Chapter 7: Classes
Chapter 8: Agatha's Mistake
Chapter 9: Foes to Friends
Chapter 10: Surviving a Fairytale
Chapter 11: The School Master's Riddle
Update!!
Another Update!
Chapter 12: Tedros's Idea
Chapter 13: Dance Lessons
Chapter 14: Lessons Learned
Chapter 15: Solving The Riddle
Chapter 16: Invitations
Chapter 17: Sidekicks
Update!!

Chapter 6: Boys

2K 39 32
By ZoeyDiggoryWood

Each school had its own entrance to the Theater of Tales, which was split into two halves. The west doors opened into the side for the Good students, decorated with pink and blue pews, crystal friezes, and glittering bouquets of glass flowers. The east doors opened into the side for Evil students, with warped wooden benches, carvings of murder and torture, and deadly stalactites dangling from the burnt ceiling. As students made their way to their halves for the Welcoming, fairies and wolves guarded the marble aisle between them.

As Y/n and Agatha walked into the theater, they noticed their blonde-haired friend walk in with the Nevers. They immediately walked over to her and Agatha tackled her in a hug.

"I found the School Master's tower! It's in the moat and there are guards, but if we can just get up there then we can—"

"Hi! Nice to see you! Give me your clothes," said Sophie, staring at Agatha's pink dress.

"Huh?"

"Quick! It will solve everything."

"You can't be serious! Sophie, we can't stay here!"

"Fine, Y/n give me your dress then."

"Sophie I'm not giving you my clothes in front of hundreds of students."

"I need to be in your school and you need to be in mine. Just like we talked about, remember?" Sophie said to Agatha.

"But your father, Y/n's grandmother, my mother, my cat!" Agatha sputtered. "You don't know

what they're like here! They'll turn us into snakes or squirrels or shrubbery! Sophie, we have to get back home!"

"She's right Sophie. This place isn't for us. I know Gavaldon is a shit hole but we need to go back."

"Why? What do I have in Gavaldon to go back to?" Sophie said.

"You have... um, you have..." Agatha tried to think of something.

"Right. Nothing. Now, my dress, please."

Agatha and Y/n both looked at each other and then back at Sophie before crossing their arms.

"Then I'll take it myself," Sophie scowled.

Right as she grabbed Agatha by her flowered sleeve, something made her stop cold. Sophie listened and then took off like a panther. She slid under benches, dodged villains' feet,

ducked behind the last pew, and peeked around it.

"I don't know what's gotten into you," Agatha said, following after her.

"I'm not dealing with this." Y/n rolled her eyes and then walked over to the bench, sitting next to Kiko.

Y/n looked around as all of the girls bolted upright. The sounds that Sophie heard grew louder and louder and soon Y/n realized what the girls were so happy about. From the hall, the sounds of stomping boots and clashing of steel grew closer until the west doors flew open to sixty gorgeous boys in a swordfight.

Sun-kissed skin peeked through light blue sleeves and stiff collars; tall navy boots matched high-cut waistcoats and knotted slim ties, each embroidered with a single gold initial. As the boys playfully crossed blades, their shirts came untucked from tight beige breeches, revealing slender waists and flashes of muscle. Sweat glistened on glowing faces as they thrust down the aisle, boots cracking on marble, until swiftly the swordfight climaxed, boys pinning boys against pews. In a last chorus of movement, they drew roses from their shirts and with a shout of "Milady!" threw them to the girls who most caught their eye.

In the decayed pews, the villains booed the princes, brandishing banners with "NEVERS RULE!" and "EVERS STINK!" With a bow, the princes blew kisses to villains and prepared to take their seats when the west doors suddenly slammed open again. One more walked in.

A boy with a halo of golden blonde hair walked in, with blue eyes, high cheekbones, thick lips, and skin the color of desert sand. He was muscular and well-built with broad shoulders and strong arms. The stranger took one look at the frowning, sword-armed boys, pulled his own sword . . . and grinned.

Y/n, who was more focused on Sophie and Agatha, turned her attention from them to the gorgeous boy, and her attention was captured.

Forty boys came at him at once, but he disarmed each with lightning speed. The swords of his classmates piled up beneath his feet as he flicked them away without inflicting a scratch. The boy dismissed each new challenge as quickly as it came, the embroidered T on his blue tie glinting with each dance of his blade. And when the last had been left swordless and dumbstruck, he sheathed his own sword and shrugged, as if to say he meant nothing by it at all.

"Who is that?" Y/n asked Kiko.

"How can you not know who that is? That's Tedros!" Kiko said, shocked.

"My bad," Y/n said, rolling her eyes.

Just as Y/n looked back at the boy, the girls went crazy, for he had pulled a rose from his shirt. All of them jumped up, waving kerchiefs, jostling like geese at a feeding. The boy smiled and tossed his rose high in the air.

The girls flailed to catch it, but they all missed and it landed on the lap of the new student no one knew anything about. Y/n.

Her eyes widened as she looked around at the princesses who were now glaring at her. She picked the rose up from her lap and looked at it, avoiding any eye contact.

"Lucky! It looks like you gained his attention," Kiko said.

Y/n looked up from the rose to see that Tedros was staring directly at her. His blue eyes met her Y/E/C eyes and he smiled a bright smile at her. She returned a small smile. He looked like he was about to approach her but he was dragged into a different seat.

"Hi. I'm Beatrix," she said and made sure he saw all of her roses.

Y/n kept her eyes on the boy as Beatrix basically forced him to look at her. She noticed his sword, dazzling silver, with a hilt of diamonds. A sword with a lion crest she knew from storybooks. A sword named Excalibur.

"He's King Arthur's son?" Y/n asked Kiko.

"The one and only," she replied.

"I take it he's pretty cocky because of that."

"Well when you're father is King Arthur and your the most attractive guy in school, guys either want to be him or girls want him. So I suppose I would be cocky too if I had that."

"Just because you have all that doesn't mean you need to be cocky. There's something called being humble."

"Who knows? Maybe he is a humble guy."

"Maybe."

"Welcome to the School for Good and Evil," said the nicer of the two heads.

From her seat, Y/n tracked the massive dog with two heads attached to a single body, pacing across a silver stone stage, cracked down the middle. One head was rabid, drooling, and male,

with a grizzly mane. The other head was cuddly and cute, with a weak jaw, scanty fur, and a singsong voice. No one was sure if the cuter head was male or female, but whatever it was, it seemed to be in charge.

"I'm Pollux, Welcoming Leader," said the nice head.

"AND I'M CASTOR, WELCOMING LEADER ASSISTANT AND EXECUTIVE EXECUTIONER OF PUNISHMENT FOR ANYONE WHO BREAKS RULES OR ACTS LIKE A DONKEY," the rabid one boomed.

Everyone seemed to be scared of Castor. Even the Nevers.

"Thank you, Castor," said Pollux. "So let me first remind you why it is you're here. All children are born with souls that are either Good or Evil. Some souls are purer than others-"

"AND SOME SOULS ARE CRAP!" Castor barked.

"As I was saying," said Pollux, "some souls are purer than others, but all souls are fundamentally Good or Evil. Those who are Evil cannot make their souls Good, and those who are Good cannot make their souls Evil-"

"SO JUST 'CAUSE GOOD IS WINNING EVERYTHING DOESN'T MEAN YOU CAN SWITCH SIDES," snarled Castor.

"Once again," said Pollux tightly, "those who are Evil cannot be good and those who are Good cannot be Evil, no matter how much you're persuaded or punished. Now sometimes you may feel the stirrings of both but this just means your family tree has branches where Good and Evil have toxically mixed. But here at the School for Good and Evil, we will rid you of stirrings, we will rid you of confusion, we will try to make you as pure as possible-"

"AND IF YOU FAIL, THEN SOMETHING SO BAD WILL HAPPEN TO YOU THAT I CAN'T SAY, BUT IT INVOLVES YOU NEVER BEING SEEN AGAIN!"

"One more and it's the muzzle!" Pollux yelled. Castor whimpered and looked down at his feet.

"None of these brilliant students will fail, I'm sure," Pollux smiled at the relieved children.

Y/n remembered what Agatha said earlier and shuddered.

"Every child in the Endless Woods dreams of being picked to attend our school. But the School Master chose you," said Pollux, scanning both sides. "For he looked into your hearts and saw something very rare. Pure Good and Pure Evil."

"If we're so pure, then what's that?"

An impish blond boy with spiky ears stood from Evil and pointed to Sophie.

A burly boy from Good pointed to Agatha. "We have one too!"

Y/n started to panic and looked at her two friends. It was clear the princes and princesses didn't notice that she wasn't one of them but it still made her uncomfortable that they called out her friends.

"Ours smells like flowers!" yelled a villain.

"Ours ate a fairy!"

"Ours smiles too much!"

"Ours farted in our face!"

Y/n turned to Agatha, gave her a disgusted face, and mouthed "You did what?" Agatha just shrugged her shoulders.

"Every class, we bring two Readers here from the Woods Beyond," Pollux declared. "They may know our world from pictures and books, but they know our rules just as well as you. They have the same talents and goals, the same potential for glory. And they too have been some of our finest students."

"Then why are there three of them?" A girl pointed at Y/n.

Y/n's face became red and everyone on both sides turned to look at her, including the blonde-haired boy. She wasn't someone who enjoyed having attention on her.

"I'm sure there is a very good explanation for that, the School Master always has his reasons, but for now we'll continue on," Pollux stated.

"It seems he doesn't exactly know what he's doing," a Never said.

"Do not question the School Master's selections," said Pollux. "All of you will respect each other, whether you're Good or Evil, whether you're from a famous tale family or a failed one, whether you're a sired prince or a Reader. All of you are chosen to protect the balance between Good and Evil. For once that balance is compromised . . ." His face darkened. "Our world will perish."

A hush fell over the hall. Y/n sighed, thankful the attention was no longer on her as everyone looked back at Castor and Pollux.

Castor raised his paw. "What," Pollux groaned.

"Why doesn't Evil win anymore?"

Pollux looked like he was about to bite his head off, but it was too late. The villains were rumbling.

"Yeah, if we're so balanced," yelled Hort, a boy with black hair and beady eyes, "why do we always die?"

"We never get good weapons!" shouted the impish boy.

"Our henchmen betray us!"

"Our Nemesis always has an army!"

Hester, a girl with long black hair streaked red, black lipstick, a ring on her nose, and a terrifying tattoo, stood. "Evil hasn't won in two hundred years!"

Castor tried to control himself, but his red face swelled like a balloon. "GOOD IS CHEATING!"

Nevers lept up in mutiny, hurling food, shoes, and anything else at hand at horrified Evers. Wolves and fairies pounced on the angry horde, but nothing but stopping them.

"The School Master's on their side!" Hester screamed.

"We don't even have a chance!" howled Hort.

The Nevers fought past fairies and wolves and charged the Evers' pews. Y/n groaned and placed her fingers on the bridge of her nose.

"I'm surrounded by idiots," Y/n mumbled to herself.

"It's because you're idiotic apes!"

The villains looked up dumbly.

"Now sit down before I give all of you a slap!" shrieked Pollux. They sat without argument.

Pollux scowled down at the villains. "Maybe if you stopped complaining, you'd produce someone of consequence! But all we hear is excuse after excuse. Have you produced one decent villain since the Great War? One villain capable of defeating their Nemesis? No wonder Readers come here confused! No wonder they want to be Good!"

Y/n saw kids on both sides of the aisle sneak Sophie sympathetic glances.

"Students, all of you have only one concern here," Pollux said, softening. "Do the best work you can. The finest of you will become princes and warlocks, knights and witches, queens and sorcerers-"

"OR A TROLL OR PIG IF YOU STINK!" Castor spat.

"So if there are no further interruptions," Pollux said, glowering at his brother, "let's review the rules."

Y/n listened for the next few minutes as Pollux and Castor went over the rules for the year. There were rules such as what was forbidden to go to, when curfews were, and how everyone was supposed to behave during assemblies.

"Your first year will consist of required courses to prepare you for three major tests: the Trial by Tale, the Circus of Talents, and the Snow Ball," Castor growled. "After the first year, you will be divided into three tracks: one for villain and hero Leaders, one for henchmen and helper Followers, and one for Mogrifs, or those that will undergo transformation."

"For the next two years, Leaders will train to fight their future Nemeses," Pollux said. "Followers will develop skills to defend their future Leaders. Mogrifs will learn to adapt to their new forms and survive in the treacherous Woods. Finally, after the third year, Leaders will be paired with Followers and Mogrifs and you will all move into the Endless Woods to begin your journeys..."

"Now as to how we determine your future tracks, we do not give 'marks' here at the School for Good and Evil," said Pollux. "Instead, for every test or challenge, you will be ranked within your classes so you know exactly where you stand. There are 120 students in each school and we have divided you into six groups of 20 for your classes. After each challenge, you will be ranked from 1 to 20. If you are ranked in the top five in your group consistently, you will end up on the Leader track. If you score in the midrange repeatedly, you'll end up a Follower. And if you're consistently below a 13, then your talents will be best served as a Mogrif, either animal or plant."

Students on both aisles murmured, already placing bets on who would end up a tree.

"I must add that anyone who receives three 20s in a row will immediately be failed," said Pollux gravely. "As I said, given the exceptional incompetence required to earn three straight last-place ranks, I am confident this rule will not apply to any of you."

The Nevers threw Sophie a look while the Evers glared at Agatha.

"Your swan crest will be visible on your heart at all times," Pollux continued. "Any attempt to conceal or remove it will likely result in injury or embarrassment, so please refrain."

Mimicking them, Y/n covered her own swan and instantly the crest vanished off the dress

and appeared on her chest. Stunned, she ran her finger over the swan, but it was embedded in her skin like a tattoo. She uncovered it and the swan vanished off her skin and reappeared on the dress.

"Furthermore, as the Theater of Tales is in Good this year, Nevers will be escorted here for all joint school functions," said Pollux. "Otherwise, you must remain in your schools at all times."

"Why is the Theater in Good?" Dot, a Never girl with short brown hair and a slightly chubby face, hollered through a mouthful of fudge.

Pollux raised his nose. "Whoever wins the Circus of Talents gets the Theater in their school."

"And Good hasn't lost a Circus or Trial by Tale or, now that I think about it, any competition at this school for the last two hundred years," Castor harrumphed. Villains started rumbling again.

Pollux ignored the Nevers' grumbles and droned on about curfew times, putting half the room to sleep. Reena raised her hand. "Are Groom Rooms open yet?"

All of a sudden the Evers looked awake.

"Well, I was planning to discuss Groom Rooms next assembly," Pollux said.

"Is it true that only certain kids can use them?" asked Millicent.

Pollux sighed. "Groom Rooms in the Good Towers are only available to Evers ranked in the top half of their class on any given day. Rankings will be posted on the Groom Room doors and throughout the castle. Please do not abuse Albemarle if he's behind on posting them. Now as to curfew rules-"

"How do you become Class Captain?" Hester asked.

"If you all flunk curfew inspections, don't blame me!" Pollux groaned. "All right. After the Trial by Tale, the top-ranked students in each school will be named Class Captain. These two students will have special privileges, including private study with select faculty, field trips into the Endless Woods, and the chance to train with renowned heroes and villains. As you know, our Captains have gone on to be some of the greatest legends in the Endless Woods."

Both sides began buzzing.

"This year you will have six required classes in your individual schools," Pollux went on. "The seventh class, Surviving Fairy Tales, will include both Good and Evil and takes place in the Blue Forest behind the schools. Also please note, both Beautification and Etiquette are for Good girls only, while Good boys will have Grooming and Chivalry instead."

"Breakfast and supper will take place in your school supper halls, but you'll all eat lunch together in the Clearing," Castor grunted. "That is if you're mature enough to handle the privilege."

Good. They would finally be able to talk to Sophie and figure out a way to get away from the schools and get back home.

"The Endless Woods beyond the school gates are barred to first-year students," said Pollux. "And though that rule may fall on deaf ears for the most adventurous of you, let me remind you of the most important rule of all. One that will cost you your lives if you fail to obey."

"Never go into the Woods after dark," said Pollux.

His gentle smile returned. "You may return to your schools! Supper is at seven o'clock sharp!"

Y/n rose with the Evers, as they started to make their way back into the school, a voice broke through the chatter.

"How do we see the School Master?"

The hall went dead silent. Students turned, shell-shocked.

Agatha stood in the aisle, glaring up at Castor and Pollux.

The Pollux and Castor jumped off the stage and landed a foot from her, splashing her with drool. Both heads glared into Agatha's eyes, wearing the same ferocious expression. It wasn't clear who was who.

"You don't," they growled.

Y/n instantly knew that it was going to be a lot harder getting out of there than they thought. She looked at Agatha, who was now leaving the theater, and judging by the look on her face, she had a plan all set in stone. 

*I'm so sorry this chapter was so long but I wanted to make sure to include all of the Castor and Pollux dialogue from the book. I'm so glad to finally introduce Tedros into the book and now that he's here, it's going to be hard to get rid of him.*

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

137K 4.2K 22
"Why is there three of them?! There's never three!" It's always been one good, one evil. Stolen from their homes every 4 years by the school master...
41K 1.1K 18
𝗔𝗡𝗘𝗜𝗥𝗔 𝗈𝖿 𝗚𝗔𝗩𝗔𝗟𝗗𝗢𝗡 lived alone with 𝗔𝗚𝗔𝗧𝗛𝗔 of 𝗚𝗔𝗩𝗔𝗟𝗗𝗢𝗡. The two women were believed to be witches because of where they...
18.7K 348 23
"Yeah, well, I don't do the right thing. I'm the freaking Witch of Woods Beyond." (Credit to @cucumbersandbeeswax on Instagram for the cover art) (WA...
12K 353 18
Agatha and Sophie realise quickly that 'going home', and 'living in Gavaldon for the rest of your miserable existence', aren't quite the same thing. ...