Getting Out Of Friendzone (GO...

By notjustarandomgirl

When Kate finds out that her best friend, Justin, is developing feelings for another girl, Emily, she immedia... More

PREVIEW
CHAPTER 1 - THE GIRL
CHAPTER 2 - BEST BESTFRIEND
CHAPTER 3 - BEST FRIENDS FOREVER
CHAPTER 4 - HELP
CHAPTER 5 - FRIENDS
CHAPTER 6 - AND IT BEGINS
CHAPTER 7 - WHAT IS UP
CHAPTER 8 - KEEPING THEM CLOSE
CHAPTER 9 - I GOT YOU
CHAPTER 10 - ANYTHING FOR A FRIEND
CHAPTER 12 - HIS PLAN

CHAPTER 11 - WHAT THE HELL

718 43 23
By notjustarandomgirl

KATE

"What was that all about?" Justin broke the silence that was hanging in the air for too long as he drove.

"What are you talking about?" I asked, honestly feeling dumb about it. I was too tired to think which one he was referring to anyway.

There was silence for brief seconds before he cleared his throat and answered, "I haven't seen you so concerned with anyone like how you did with Chase." His tone was flat and implying. I wasn't so sure where he wanted this convo to lead, but one thing's for sure, he was obviously suggesting that Chase and I have some romantic relationship going on between us, and it's stressing him out that I was hiding this information from him.

What was there to hide if the said relationship was non-existence anyway?

So how would I explain that he was wrong, that all my concern towards Chase was because of guilt? That I might have been the reason for Chase's injury because I told him to do something to stop Emily and my naive bestfriend from spending time alone, that's why I was so damn concern about him?

Clearly, there's no way around this to extract a sensible and acceptable lie to cultivate. It would be too obvious. But, if I won't do something about it, he might think that my concerns toward Chase has something to do with my romantic feelings for him.

Chase is my friend. He is just a friend.

And he really is.

Then, an idea came in mind.

"Chase is a friend. It's only normal to feel concern about a friend, right?" I answered him sternly. This was probably the most honest words I had told him after all the web of lies I said in the past.

He went silent after that, didn't have any response of anything which was very unusual of him. His expression was serious and hard. Like he was contemplating to push it or try to challenge my answer, but he simply resigned and accepted my answer instead.

The ride home was awkward, he didn't ask or say anything more which bothered me. I turned to Justin and his expression was too serious, stern, and grim.

This made me heart clench in pain.

I wish you knew how much I love you. What I was willing to do to make you look at me differently, the real words that I wanted to say instead of these lies. I wish you knew.

Neither of us had said anything after that. We got off right after he parked his car in front of his house. I thanked him for the ride, but right when I was heading to the direction of my house, he grabbed my wrist and turned me to face him.

"You are hiding something from me, Kate. I know it." His tone dead-serious and accusatory, his expression was all saying that he wasn't in the mood for another lie. Like he would flip if I would say something he wouldn't like.

But, what do you want me to say then? That I was doing all this because I fell in love with you? Your supposed to be the bestfriend, like a sister to you even? This was the truth, but I'd rather hide this truth than lose you.

So, what should I say?

I was about to say the most used up line and the salvation of all lies—I don't know what you're talking about—line, but was suddenly went mute when his phone started ringing.

I saw him contemplating whether to answer it or not, but I urged him to do it. Justin didn't let go of his hold onto me. Instead, he used his left hand to scoop the phone out of his pocket. With that motion, I had a quick view of who the caller was.

He immediately drop his grip on my wrist and his expression softened at the sight of the caller.

Emily.

My heart instantly stopped and shattered, I felt its shards at the bottom of my stomach, piercing me, leaving me in constant and hollow pain. I was too stunned to even say anything or walk away.

And to make things worse, he turned to me and said, "We'll talk about this next time, okay? Enjoy the concert." Just like that, he dismissed whatever answer he wanted from me and left.

I was torn to the fact that I should be thankful to the caller that our convo was cut and that I didn't have to lie, but this scenario was the worst.

If only I knew loving would cause me this unbearable pain, I shouldn't have risked feeling this way.

I wish I could go back in time to remind myself not to fall in love with Justin no matter what. Warn myself that falling in love with your bestfriend is the worst type of love ever created.

* * * * *

Funny how I was excited, jumping up and down in joy, just 24 hours ago in the same room where my aunt had given me the concert tickets of my favorite band. Now, I was in the same room, curled up and under the sheets while savoring the heartbreaking songs of Taylor Swift.

I told Aunt Jenna that I wasn't feeling well, and that going to the concert might spoil her fun. I urged her to invite someone else instead. She was worried at first and offered to stay, but I wouldn't ruin someone else's fun just because I was miserable. It took a lot of effort and lies just to push her to go without me, I was so glad I had persuaded her to go without me.

I may not be able to attend the concert, might as well have my very own concert here in my room. Singing my favorite bridges and feeling every pain.

I wonder how long did Justin and Emily talk? What was the convo about? Were they still talking at this hour?

I held my phone out and thought about on calling Justin, but willed myself not to do so. I don't think I could handle the situation where in he would reject my call because he was still talking with Emily.

I scrolled through my contact list. I wanted to call Crystin instead, but I wasn't in a good mood to hear the I warned you about this line of hers. She's definitely the last person I want to have a convo at this hour.

I moved up and stopped at Chase's name.

I considered it for a second. Lately, it was Chase who understood me and my emotions. It was him who I'd been so vulnerable to without feeling so embarrassed about it. But, I was still feeling too guilty of what happened today with him to even talk to him, especially if it has something to do with this drama and stuff.

I decided to deal with this heartbreak all by myself instead. I stood up and threw my phone on the bed. Right on cue, I sang along to my ever so favorite bridge of all time.

"Well, maybe we got lost in translation, maybe I asked for too much. But maybe this thing was a masterpiece. 'Til you tore it all up. Running scared, I was there I remember it all too well."

I was singing on top of my lungs, and poured all my emotions in as I continued.

"And you call me up again just to break me like a promise. So casually cruel in the name of being honest. I'm a crumpled up piece of paper lying here. 'Cause I remember it all, all, all"

The next thing I knew, I was sobbing, and crying, and on the floor—still singing, but crying like hell.

"They say all's well that ends well, but I'm in a new Hell. Every time you double-cross my mind!"

I was crying the whole time until the song has changed. I still carried on singing to the other songs, but some words came out as choking sobs. I was like an idiot, stops crying and sings instead when I'm on my favorite part and cry after. I was like that for God knows how long, I didn't even realize which song did I fall asleep to, but one thing was for sure...

I may have looked so pathetic now, but damn it felt so good!

* * * * *

"Katie, wake up."

I groaned and turned away from where the voice was coming from.

"It's Saturday!" I complained. I curled up and pulled the blanket over my head.

I didn't have any idea what time it was, but I have every right to refuse to leave my bed on a weekend. I was the kind of girl who could wake up even before my alarm on school days, I was very punctual. But don't try to mess up my weekend body clock, it sets differently.

And Aunt Jenna should know about this. So why was she so adamant in waking me up!

My head hurts, my eyes were sore, from too much crying last night that's for sure. I can't even open them up! I might even have a puffy face now, and I wouldn't want her to see me like this. This would definitely open up a lot of questions and suspicions.

"I know that." She said. I thought for a second there that she would leave, but instead, I heard her movement going towards my window. She drew the curtains aside in one strong motion, light started flooding in the room—making my eyes hurt even more.

"Aunt Jenna!" I protested.

"It's Saturday and someone is here to see you." She said in a matter of factly.

It took me few seconds to process the words she just said. And up to that moment, I was still a bit confused if what I heard was right of what.

When I was about to ask her to repeat what she just said, she already pulled my blanket off my face and said, "he said his name is Chase."

I almost fell on the floor when she said that, I was gawking at her, waiting for her to say something more aside from that, or say she was kidding or something. But she didn't know Chase.

And why was Chase even here!

I stood up abruptly and cursed myself for doing this. I instantly felt the room spinning and almost lost my balance. It felt as if I got so drunk and hangover when I didn't even had a single drop of alcohol last night.

Drunk in pain maybe that's for sure.

"What happened to your eyes?" And she finally fired the first question of the day. I ignored her query and told her to just focus on the visitor. I assured her I'd be down in a few minutes.

I hurried to my bathroom and looked at my self in the mirror. Damn I look like hell!

I washed my face in a quick manner with cold water, hoping this would help to subside the swelling of my eyes and face.

Why is he even here! I don't remember about meeting today or what.

Or maybe something happened?

I looked up and stared at my now somewhat-acceptable face at a realization.

Maybe he knew about Emily and Justin's conversation last night? What if Emily told him something important, something about her and Justin? What if he's asking her out, or taking their friendship in a different level?

What if Chase was here to tell me all this? That every effort we put in has already met its end?

Justin and Emily are together now.

I don't think that I can handle two consecutive heartaches in less than 24 hours!

I tried to stay positive, and think that it could be something else.

Please let it be something else.

By the time I went down, Aunt Jenna has already started cooking some pancakes and laughing with Chase with whatever it was they're talking about.

"Hey!" I said, making my presence known.

"Finally!" Aunt Jenna said. "Breakfast will be ready soon." She gestured me to sit beside Chase as she continued with her cooking.

I grabbed Chase's hand and led him to the next room instead. "I'll just show Chase around!" I lied.

"What happened? Why are you here? Is there something wrong? Is it about Emily and Justin?" I rushed in question. We're in the living room area, out of Aunt Jenna's earshot because I didn't want her to hear any of this.

Chase raised his brow and held his phone out. I furrowed my brows in confusion, not following what he was implying.

"I received a very interesting call last night." He smirked.

Crybaby Katie

My eyes widened when realization dawn in me. I snatched his phone from his hand and examined his phone call log in horror.

Incoming Call

3 hours 2 minutes.

"I thought you're the one attending the concert last night, I didn't know I was in for a treat as well."

What the fuckin hell!

How did this happen?

— END OF CHAPTER 12 —

I hope you're enjoying it so far! What do you think will happen next?

We're getting closer to the exciting part!

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

1.3M 56.1K 63
"I know we broke up, but.., " he whispers in my ear, trailing his finger lightly along my arm. He places a soft kiss on my collarbone, making a shive...
44.2K 1.7K 21
Kate has had enough of her demons and she is now looking for forgiveness, after two years of not seeing her ex girlfriend and former ex best friend S...
48.5K 3.3K 26
"Sometimes you have to learn to love yourself before you can love someone else." Ellie Sparks stands out in a crowd... in all the wrong ways. From bi...
6M 156K 48
Because high school isn't hard enough. Sadie Michaels got into the best high school in the country, excited to start her junior year and make the mos...