Second chance in love?

By ineffablereader04

What can be worse than knowing that someone else is deciding whom you are getting married to. I kept aside th... More

Introduction
An Auror
A letter which decides her fate.
An attack!
Shopping for bridal gown.
Molly Weasley
Another letter?
A bestfriend like him.
Betrayal
Disappointment.
Embarrassment
Christmas Preparations.
The Malfoys
Presents
Prince's Tale
Liking?
In his arms
The power of magic
Confessions
The ancient marital law.
Intimacy.
Blancmange
A Manifesto.
Desires.
Safeguarding Hogwarts.
Confronting him?
Fenrir Greyback

A task

72 3 0
By ineffablereader04

I woke up early for work and I did not want to be late as I am going to discuss with Mr. Talbott about the marriage law thing. I will try to convince him to take out my name from the marriage law.

I quickly got ready. I chose to wear a black pant and a white shirt and for the cold I wore a cloak on top. I looked at my reflection in the mirror and was satisfied with myself. 

I apparated directly to the ministry of magic. There were colleagues who greeted me on the hallways but I directly went to see Mr. Talbott in the marriage law department.

'Good morning, Is Mr. Talbott available now?' I asked a brown haired lady who was looking into some papers.

'Good morning, please wait I will have to check' she said while keeping the parchment on the desk. She immediately knocked on the cabin and entered it. After some time she came out of the cabin.

'May I know your name miss?' She asked while checking me out from up to down. 

 'My name is Mildred Williams and I am an auror here' I gave her my name. She once again went inside and came out after some time.

'Mr. Talbott told you to wait for some time. He is busy with some work' she said and continued to look into that previous parchment. 

That's when I observed the surroundings of the office. There was a notice board on the left wall and on it there was a picture of Mr. Talbott talking infront of a press. He was addressing a press in the newspaper. The headline was zooming infront of Mr. Talbott's face. 

The headline went like this "Marriage law to be enforced earlier than expected" I rolled my eyes after reading the contents of the newspaper clipping. Mr. Talbott is a tall man with dark black eyes, he has a sharp jawline with some stubble grazing his facial features. He also wears glasses which gives him a stern and serious look. 

There were three to four tables which had numerous parchments lining to be addressed. Witches and wizards were bustling in and out of the office.

I looked at the watch on my wrist. It showed past 10.00am and I was to be sharp at 10.00am in my department. I sighed and took long strides to the earlier witch with whom I had a talk.

'Will you ask once again? Actually I am getting late' I rushed and looked from the cabin to the witch.

'Yes, please give me a moment' she went inside and came out in sometime with more parchments in her hands.

'Mr. Talbott wants to meet you. He is waiting inside' she said keeping all the parchments which looked like letters. I ignored them and entered the cabin.

I could see Mr. Talbott focusing on some parchments on his hands. His table was cluttered with a magical pen which was writing on its own. I could hear the parchment screeching because of it. 

Mr. Talbott looked up from his parchment and took out his glasses. 'How can I help you Ms.?' Mr. Talbott asked. He looked exhausted. I think he is tired of answering each and everyone's queries. He deserves this I think.

'Ms.?' Mr. Talbott once again said and took me out of my reverie.

'Good morning Mr. Talbott, I am Mildred Williams and I work in the department of Aurors' I introduced myself while trying to take a look at the parchment on his hand. 

'Good morning Ms. Williams, please take a seat' he indicated a chair infront of him and I took it.

'I want to talk to you about marriage law' I straightly went to the topic. It's nagging me badly and I want my mental peace back.

'I see. Please wait' he said, while a parchment from a huge pile came flying to him from his back. I looked at it in awe. I kept quiet and wanted him to proceed.

'Ms. Williams, from India and just a month ago you joined as an auror here. Two wizards are deemed as perfect for you. What do you want to talk about marriage law Ms. Williams?' he read all this from that parchment and looked up from it.

'I...I don't want to get married according to some barbaric law' I didn't want to control my language infront of him. He should know that I don't approve of the law.

'You will have to abide by the law or else you will be stripped off from the magic and disowned from the magical population' Mr. Talbott said as a matter of fact and seemed like he is dealing with this stuff for a hundredth of time.

'Actually, you cannot strip off my magic as Indian magic law applies to me and if I go back to India and don't get married as per the British ministry of magic then will it still be applicable to me?' I tried to reason with him and controlled my volumes from going up.

'If you want then you are more than welcome to go back to your country but you will not be allowed to come back if you don't abide by the marriage law' Mr. Talbott replied while wearing his glasses and looking at me sternly.

My mouth fell agape. I don't have any savings left to try for any other country and I always wanted to work in ministry of magic. This is so unfair. I don't want to go back to my country. I think I will have to accept the marriage law now.

'My department will be waiting for your owl because we want to register your preference from the two wizard's names we have enlisted for you. Now if you don't have any other query then I have some other pressing matters to work on' Mr. Talbott said while reading the parchments on his hand.

This was my cue to leave. 'Thank you Mr. Talbott for your precious time' I quipped and left the cabin.

I started walking in the direction of my department. I think I will have to get married at last. I don't have any choice. I will have to let my mother know about it. It will be a big shock to her but I don't have a choice. she will tell me to leave Britain and come back to India which I cannot afford.

'Mildred, back to the earth' Hermione shook my arm and I looked at her. She was concerned for me. Once again tears were threatening to fall from my eyes.

'Hey Hermione' I said and took my usual seat. 'Are you fine Mildred? you look dull today' she said and handed me a flask full of water. 

I recited everything to her. The meeting with Mr. Talbott and everything after that which happened.

'Oh dear, I am so sorry for that' she genuinely looked sorry. 'Its okay Hermione, it's not your fault. Why are you saying sorry?' I replied and looked at the parchment which was kept on our table.

'Whose names were on the list in the letter?' Hermione indicated the list of names who are deemed as perfect for me as a partner. I sighed, I just remember that I didn't read the names.

'I don't know. I didn't read the names yet' I lowered my head on the desk. 'You didn't read the names yet?' she asked once again and I nodded my head. I dread that now. I don't know whose names are there in the list.

'Whom did you get?' I tried to change the topic. 'Ron's name and other one was my classmate from Hogwarts' she said with a blush.

'That's great!' I tried to cheer her up. I don't want her mood to be down because of me.

'How are my girls this morning?' Helena interrupted our chitchat. She is a whole positive energy in the office.

'We are fine Helena. Was just discussing about marriage law' Hermione said as a matter of fact.

'That can be discussed afterwards. I want you two to visit Hogwarts and have a meeting with its headmaster Snape' Helena said while looking at us.

'Why Hogwarts?' I asked her in the most boring tone. 'You two did not read the parchments which were kept for you right?' Helena facepalmed herself. Oh God! We were to read the parchments? I hope it isn't too important.

'Well, I will explain it to you. We got an information from the higher department that there are death eaters who will try to attack on Hogwarts to get their vengeance on headmaster of Hogwarts as he was one of the main reasons why the dark lord lost the battle' Helena recited while looking at the parchment.

'Helena, Can I know from whom the information was passed on?' Hermione really got tensed after hearing this news. She is really concerned for the school. 

'I cannot disclose the source's names as it's confidential' Helena said and handed the copy of the letter which was addressed to the headmaster of Hogwarts Professor Severus Snape and in the letter it was written that Hermione and I will be coming to visit him today at 2pm. I got the goosebumps even after reading the names and just realized that it is already 11am already.

I know that he was a spy for Mr. Dumbledore and he was the main reason the dark lord was defeated. He has sacrificed so much for the greater good and also that Hogwarts has appointed him as a headmaster to honor him.

'So, we have to visit professor Snape today?' I asked the obvious. I haven't seen him face to face but I have seen his photo. I have heard that he is very stern and uncompromising and that many people don't like him. 

'We want more information on it Helena. He will ask questions about it in detail' Hermione inquired Helena and I could see that she was excited to go to Hogwarts. 

'Here is a file full of the required documents. This will be enough. You have to ask him if Hogwarts need any assistance from aurors to safeguard the school' Helena guided us and handed us a document. 

I am excited because this will be the very first field exposure and a very first visit to Hogwarts. I took the file from Helena. 

'How will we be transporting to Hogwarts?' I asked while keeping the file inside my bag. 

'Hermione will be assisting you to Hogwarts' Helena said and left the office. Hermione once again took the file from me and I handed it to her. She was reading the file.

'What do you think?' I asked her while fidgeting with my cloak. 

'I think professor Snape knows about the situation of death eaters' Hermione said while closing the document and handing it over to me. I feel like this is my very first task which I have to complete successfully. 

We exited the building together and Hermione forwarded her right hand for me to take. I took it and she apparated us and I looked at the surroundings as soon as we reached the destination.

'This is Hogsmeade village which is very close to Hogwarts and where we all used to come in the weekends' Hermione's eyes gleamed with happiness. I could see witches and wizards bustling in and out of the restaurants here. She lead me to Hogwarts through a wide lane and I could see a castle from afar. 

It looks beautiful from outside. We walked for few minutes now and the castle was nearing us.

There was a small hut just in 10 minutes from Hogwarts castle. 'This hut is Hagrid's hut and he is the caretaker of keys in Hogwarts' Hermione explained to me and I gave her a smile. She would be excited to meet all the professors. I could see it in her longer strides.

'Come fast Mildred!' she was running towards the castle as fast she could and I tried to keep up with her. My heart started to beat faster because of running and I had to stop to take breath. I realized how unfit I am. 

'I am coming Hermione. Wait for me!' I shouted behind her. She almost reached the castle and was waiting for me to catch up with her.

'Couldn't we apparated infront of the castle?' I asked her out of curiosity because it seemed as a waste of time to walk up till here.

'One can apparate only till Hogsmeade' Hermione said as if it's the most obvious fact. I nodded at her as she opened the majestic doors of Hogwarts and we entered in a gigantic hall which consisted of students all over the hall. 

Hermione's smile went wide from ear to ear. She began to tell me about Hogwarts. Just then my eyes went up towards the ceiling or I should say the open sky. There were white clouds looming over a blue sky instead of the ceiling. Hermione explained about it. We crossed four rows of long tables which were four house of Slytherin, Gryffindor, Ravenclaw and Hufflepuff. Students were gaping at us and Hermione seemed to recognize some of them. She waved back at them with constant smile on her face. 

I observed that there were photographs of witches and wizards who are alumni of this school I presume. They were talking to each other.

Hermione led me to the flight of stairs which kept changing simultaneously. 'How do you recognize which is the right flight of staircase which will lead us to the headmaster?' I asked her many questions but the curiosity got the better of me.

'You seem to forget that I have studied here and I know. The second staircase which will come now will lead us to the headmaster's office' she explained patiently and seemed eager to go upstairs.

We climbed a set of staircase and while walking through the corridors I saw a witch with glasses was walking towards us with billowing robes. Her expression changed as soon as she saw Hermione.

'Hello professor McGonagall' Hermione jumped with new found energy when she saw her professor.

'Hello Hermione! I was waiting for you to come here' professor McGonagall said while eyeing me with curiosity.

'Professor McGonagall, this is Mildred Williams. She is here with me to visit Professor Snape' Hermione introduced me and told me about the witch who was standing infront of me. Now I can understand her enthusiasm. 

'Hello, professor McGonagall, it's nice to meet you' I said while looking at her. She really is a strong witch and I can sense it in her surrounding aura.

'Mildred, will you go ahead? I will be joining you soon in the headmaster's office' Hermione asked me like it's the most easiest task. I didn't know how to answer to that.

'How to go to his office?' I hesitated but I became determined that I will complete the task.

'Oh! I am so sorry, go straightly in this same corridor and there will be a gargoyle on your right side' she showed me the way while professor McGonagall gave me a small smile.

'The password is ice pops. Professor Snape never changed the password after becoming the headmaster' professor McGonagall informed Hermione while clutching a book to her chest.

'Okay, I will head to headmaster's office. It was nice meeting you professor McGonagall' I greeted her once again. I don't know I am getting anxious.

After walking sometime I could see a large gargoyle on my right hand side. I just stood there gaping at it while it clicked to me that the password is 'ice pops'. Thank God, I paid attention to their conversation.

'Ice pops' I said and the whole gargoyle started to move aside to give a small spiral staircase. I climbed onto it and it spiraled upwards. It came to a halt infront of a large door. I knocked on the door

'Come in' I heard the headmaster Snape speak from inside. I pushed the door and realized that it was open.  

I entered the office and saw a wizard sitting on a huge desk which was placed in the middle of the room. The wizard, whom I presume to be the headmaster seemed to be in his 30s. He had raven black shoulder length hair which was tied in a pony tail now. He was engrossed in writing something and that's when I saw that he had a sharp jawline and there was a frown on his face while doing his work. 

'Will you tell me why are you here if you are done with staring at me?' he spoke in a deep baritone voice which made me come out of my stupor. I could see his smirk and was embarrassed with myself. I mentally facepalmed myself. What was I thinking? 

'Sorry, I am Mildred Williams an auror. You were informed that we would be coming to meet you' I said like it is the most obvious thing. He kept his quill aside and rose from his chair. 

'Where is Ms. Granger? she was to come with you right?' he asked while descending from the small spiral stairs on which the desk was placed.

'Yes, actually she will be here in sometime' I said and took out the document which was to be given to him. He seemed disinterested. 

'The department of aurors have got an information that one of the death eaters may try to attack the Hogwarts and you. We have come here to discuss if you want assistance of the aurors to safeguard Hogwarts' I tried to keep my voice from quivering. I am nervous as hell and he seemed to scrutinize me from up and down.

That's when I heard the door being knocked and professor Snape told her to come in while muttering something under his breath. I could see that his hair came loose from his pony tail while hanging like a curtain beside his face.

'I am sorry for the delay professor Snape. I got caught up with something. I hope you are doing well' Hermione tried to catch her breath. I gave her a relieved smile.

'Take a seat' Snape commanded and we took a seat. Hermione rolled her eyes at him.

'I am sure Mildred have given you a gist on why we are here' Hermione said while eyeing me and Snape.

'I am fully aware of it. I also wanted to discuss another thing with you two' Snape said in his most bored voice and took out a parchment from his desk and handed over it to me.

I saw that it was a letter from someone. In the letter, Snape was threatened for being a spy for professor Dumbledore and for also not being a loyal follower of dark lord. I got goosebumps after reading the letter. The letter was posted from an anonymous writer. I passed it on to Hermione and faced Snape.

'This is very serious professor Snape! You should have reported it as soon as you received the letter' Hermione was astounded after reading the letter. I think the department should safeguard the school and as well as Snape.

'I can completely take care of myself Ms. Granger. I have deceived the dark lord, why do you think that I cannot take care of myself? And I think whoever sent this letter is a coward who can't come forward and face me' Snape went on, on his baritone voice.

He is one headstrong wizard. Why does one cannot accept the help which they want desperately. He is hyper independent but he also needs aurors' assistance.

I know this is a long chapter but I wanted to enter him as soon as possible. Let me know your thoughts in the comments and please do like the chapter if you liked it.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

94.7K 2.1K 48
❝Loving your enemy is not easy. Some accept it, while some are hellbent on destroying.❞ Students returned back to Hogwarts to complete their final ye...
977K 25.1K 22
(Y/N) Middlebrook was terribly excited for her fourth year at Hogwarts. But at the same time she was extremely anxious. This year was the year she wa...
47.5K 1.4K 34
Several years after the Battle of Hogwarts, Hermione Granger and Severus Snape meet accidentally in a romantic entanglement. After an interesting tur...
66.3K 1.7K 43
It's your last year at Hogwarts and you couldn't be more exited. Especially because you get to see your favourite professor and crush since fourth ye...