We have to fight to be accept...

By SeaArgo

There was only one second to figure out what was going to happen in the next moment, and less than a second t... More

***

10 0 0
By SeaArgo

There was only one second to figure out what was going to happen in the next moment, and less than a second to make the right decision.

Disbelief flashed in Ranrok's eyes as Protego's glowing shield momentarily repelled his impulsive attack, protecting his brother from being hit by magic and probably death. He shifted his gaze to the wizard's face, distorted by consternation, and whose hand still rested on Lodgok's shoulder, a last-minute defensive gesture displayed. Another furious roar erupted from his chest, his armor glowing red, but the next charge hit the wall as his opponents were already on their way to the wagon, and the moment the green lightning of Rookwood's Avada flew over his head, they were no longer in the shaft.

It seemed as soon as clear skies arose overhead, and fresh snow beneath their feet, all the tension and fear must have passed, so unnatural did the contrast seem between the calm nature outside the mine, and what had happened inside. However, they continued to run until they found themselves at a safe distance from Ranrok's soldiers' camp, and then they leaned against the cool rock to catch their breath. His heart was pounding, and Harvey, face hidden in the crook of his elbow, tried to hide the anxious tears in his eyes from Lodgok.

"I'm sorry my brother never listened to us, and I'm sorry he took the diary," said Lodgok, interpreting the wizard's gesture in his own way. "I really didn't expect him to attack us. Now we're in even more trouble."

With a sympathetic look in his eyes he reached for his robes, but Harvey, with a sob, suddenly knelt in front of him and embraced, no longer embarrassed by the fact that tears were falling on his shoulder.

"I'm sorry you had to go it alone," he said, and opened his embrace when Lodgok patted him abashedly on the shoulder. Harvey finally found the strength to look at him, though the unsolicited tears still tugged at the corners of his eyes. "But it's not over yet, I promise I'll try... That there was a way to make it right, I..."

He stopped talking, unable to speak any further, and rose to his feet. They had to go, for even at this distance from the mine was not safe, and pursuit could not be ruled out. The shouts of goblins and the clanking of metal could still be heard behind them. As long as those sounds were around, the nervous tension still wouldn't let go, and it was hoped that if they were far enough away it would pass. Harvey ran away, trying to hear something through the noise of blood and heart pounding in his ears, and the only reassurance was that he was not alone, and that Lodgok was right beside him.

***

"It's awfully risky to do this right now," Lodgok objected and reached out to place his palm on the wizard's hand, drawing his attention. "Besides, there's no way my brother would agree to a meeting to talk. He wouldn't listen to me, and I've tried so many times to reason with him, and given his attitude toward wizardkind..."

"I know," Harvey answered quietly. "But we have no other choice, and I'm willing to risk it again. I have a plan, and if it works..."

"You are too stubborn," Lodgok
K smiled sadly. "You remind me of him in some way."

"Alas, Hufflepuffs are stubborn," Harvey replied, grinning as he grasped his outgoing palm and gave it a confident squeeze.

Asking Ranrok to negotiate when things had already gone this far, when he had knowledge of the last vault of magic, and when he already felt almost like a winner in a war that had not yet begun, was indeed eminently unwise. There was no guarantee at all that Ranrok would agree to a meeting at all, as Lodgok was worried. Granted, he had lost an ally in Rookwood after they had tacitly broken off their cooperation in that mine by trying to kill each other, but even without Rookwood he was still just as dangerous and powerful. So when they received a reply from Ranrok some time after sending their message that he was ready to meet, Lodgok had more doubts about the reasonableness of the whole affair.

"This is definitely a trap," Harvey said, and even the clenched fists for reassurance and a look straight ahead couldn't conceal the shiver in his voice as they headed for the meeting place, perhaps not to return from it alive again.

That fact, however, could not make them change their minds, even when Ranrok, surrounded by several goblin allies, showed up at the square where they had agreed to meet. Harvey was sure there were more of them, and that the remaining soldiers were hiding until Ranrok decided to give them the signal to attack the arrivals suddenly, and hoped only that until then they would be able to discuss at least some of what was needed.

"Well, well, I see you've come, traitors and enemies," said Ranrok, smiling wickedly as he surveyed the group of goblins and wizards that Harvey had gathered to negotiate. "Very convenient. Makes it easier for me to get rid of you all at once."

"We are unarmed, Ranrok," Harvey replied, stepping forward and showing his empty hands. "We just want to talk."

"Worse for you," Ranrok replied stubbornly, but after a second of deliberation, he did relax a little, and crossed his arms over his chest and glanced back with interest. "Good. What makes you think we have anything to discuss? I'm sure you only came running because you sensed your future defeat, am I right? You were afraid of war. Just as I'd expect from the likes of you. You'll do anything just to protect your own skin, and once the danger is gone, learn no more from your mistakes."

"We really don't want war, Ranrok," Harvey answered honestly. "There's no point in your men dying, or ours. But I understand your pain. The wizarding world has long been rotten, and I'm sorry our kinds don't get along, but there are still those among us who truly respect goblins and your culture, and the people who have come here today will attest to that. I ask at least to hear us out. I hope we still have a chance to make things right. There is a lot of injustice in the world, but I am confident that we can get rid of it peacefully by working together."

After saying all this, Harvey let the others speak. All the witches, wizards and goblins who had come with him, including Lodgok, who had once again tried to negotiate with his brother. Despite his best efforts, Ranrok did not seem impressed by the conversation, and Harvey watched anxiously as he grew more gloomy by the minute. The negotiations had gone on long enough, but Ranrok had said nothing in all that time to offer any hope, and Harvey was beginning to fear that all was for nothing and the battle would not be avoided. However, he pulled himself back as soon as he felt himself reaching for his stashed wand, and instead stepped towards Ranrok, hoping didn't look too frightened, and trying his best to hide the uncertainty, held out his palm for a handshake.

Ranrok glanced at him in amazement, then grinningly pushed his hand away before turning to leave without another word.

As soon as the goblin band disappeared from sight, Harvey immediately slumped to the ground, unable to hold on shaky legs any longer. It was still unclear if the negotiations had been successful or if it was all for nothing, Ranrok would not back down and war could not be avoided. All that remained was to wait and prepare for anything.

***

"I can't believe it!" Lodgok exclaimed, clutching the letter in his hands.

There was indeed a look of joy and disbelief on his face. As soon as Harvey took the answer that the owl had brought, Lodgok pressed his palm to his face, trying to hide his tears, but when Harvey hugged him with trembling arms, not knowing where to turn from the excitement over the positive answer from Ranrok after their tortuous negotiations, he hugged the wizard back, and now his coat was soaking them up.

"We really made it," Harvey whispered, still not believing himself, and pulled away, holding Lodgok by the shoulders and looking at his pleased face. "And I have a feeling we can do anything now."

Of course, declaring a truce was only part of the whole plan, in which Harvey saw the one and only obvious solution to the main problem of the magical society. He didn't understand why, until now, wizards had avoided it, exacerbating inequalities with each passing year, feeding the resentment of oppressed segments of society with new bans and encouraging xenophobic thinking. This had led to rebellions and wars before, and Harvey tried not to show his chilling goosebumps when he thought of what war might lead to now, if by some miracle they hadn't managed to negotiate with Ranrok. Harvey didn't wish him dead and he didn't want to die himself, understanding where Ranrok's rage was coming from, but also realising that they would have to face each other in the end in a battle that Harvey saw no point in. He had no desire to be a tool in a cowardly war of wizards trying to cover up their own mistakes. Ranrok would have been surprised to find out exactly what was on the mind of the young wizard, whose encounters had ceased to be casual in time, but until now they had never had a chance for a frank conversation. Even after they had met for a second time after a brief and not too sincere correspondence, there was still a vague tension between them. Fear and mistrust seemed to have seared into their skin after a hundred years of animosity between their peoples, and no matter how hard each of them tried to put it behind them, the misunderstandings seemed to arise on their own. And had it not been for the support of their new allies, found among wizards, goblins and other magical creatures, they probably would not have made it this far, even after all that had been achieved.

A lot of effort had to go into getting through to the Ministry. Harvey detected the irony of how stubborn they had proved to be, with an unpleasant feeling. Now he and Ranrok were not just allies, they were speaking with one voice against the Ministry. And after many years of finally overpowering the stubborn and defeating the dissenters, their efforts began to bear early fruit, not without the help of a new generation of Hogwarts alumni who picked up and supported their movement. Harvey was pleasantly surprised at how many of them was of the same opinion as them.

Magical non human beings were no longer so oppressed and isolated from the rest of society. Many, including goblins, were allowed to use the wands and began working in larger and larger fields, gradually joining the economy that had so far relied only on wizards, and the latter had finally had to accept them as equals.

***

Years ago, if he had been told what the future held for him, Harvey would not have been able to believe many things. That he and Ranrok would become friends, that there would be no war, but that there would be a new order of society where xenophobia and intolerance would no longer exist, and that all this would come about through the joint work of those who had never before worked together so openly and so trustingly.

Lodgok, who returned to the room, brought them a blanket and disappeared behind the door again, leaving them alone.

"You two are disgusting" Ranrok said without malice, and just turned away from seeing his brother's happy face as he exchanged glances with the wizard.

Harvey put the blanket over their feet, saving them from the cold of the incoming winter. It seemed now was the first time they had had time to finally talk sincerely about everything they had needed to talk about for a long time, and Lodgok knew it, trying not to interrupt, though Harvey hoped he would join them soon.

"Is it because I'm a wizard?" Harvey teased him in a friendly way. Despite what they'd been through together, he was still a little nervous before the conversation, trying to hide it behind humour, and shrieked as he got a slight kick in the leg.

Aloud, Ranrok did not respond in any way, but closed his eyes thoughtfully. They sat in silence for a few minutes as the intensifying snowfall outside the window, lit through the window by the fireplace burning and warming them now, and Harvey even succumbed to its warmth, almost dozing off, when Ranrok finally spoke.

"I guess I should thank you," he said, and with barely a glance at the wizard beside him, he continued. "Probably none of this would be happening now, if twenty years ago, one overconfident schoolboy hadn't decided to risk his life for one encounter. Did you know that I really did decide to just kill you back then?" He finally grinned at Harvey, who smiled at him awkwardly.

"So why did you change your mind?" he asked quietly, finally asking the very question he had dreaded for so many years, and now feeling the weight gradually release his shoulders.

Ranrok shrugged his shoulders as if he felt the same.

"Somehow you have restored my faith in wizards. It took me a while to realize it myself, but after you saved him, saved Lodgok from me, I looked into your eyes and I didn't find what I saw... what I thought I'd seen before. There was only fear. But not the kind I saw in the eyes of enemies who feared me. You weren't afraid of me, you were afraid for him." His gaze became attentive. "I have wondered many times why you did what you did. It made me angry that you made me doubt what I had believed all my life. I have never trusted goblins who have taken a liking to wizards. However, much reflection finally helped me to understand myself, until at last I realized that you might be trustworthy. That's why I decided to meet again."

They looked at each other in the silence that reigned again, and Harvey tried to restrain himself from the sudden tremor in his voice when his eyes sting. He covered the goblin's palm with his own, squeezing it. "I... I want to show you something."

Harvey threw off his robe and lifted his shirt, revealing the bandages covering his chest.

"I've spent my whole life proving myself worthy of respect for who I am, too," he explained, looking up at Ranrok in confusion, then finally letting go of the hem of his shirt. "And I believe we have to fight to be accepted. Therefore, I have never wished us to be enemies."

"I understand," Ranrok replied slowly after a pause, and put his palm on his back just as Lodgok finally joined their company. "And you have my respect."

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

213K 4.5K 47
"You brush past me in the hallway And you don't think I can see ya, do ya? I've been watchin' you for ages And I spend my time tryin' not to feel it"...
595K 9.2K 87
A text story set place in the golden trio era! You are the it girl of Slytherin, the glue holding your deranged friend group together, the girl no...
3.9M 159K 69
Highest rank: #1 in Teen-Fiction and sci-fi romance, #1 mindreader, #2 humor Aaron's special power might just be the coolest- or scariest- thing ever...
1.1M 37.8K 63
𝐒𝐓𝐀𝐑𝐆𝐈𝐑𝐋 ──── ❝i just wanna see you shine, 'cause i know you are a stargirl!❞ 𝐈𝐍 𝐖𝐇𝐈𝐂𝐇 jude bellingham finally manages to shoot...