๐†๐”๐€๐‘๐ƒ๐ˆ๐€๐ ๐€๐๐†๐„๐‹ |...

De luvbug_26

๐†๐”๐€๐‘๐ƒ๐ˆ๐€๐ ๐€๐๐†๐„๐‹. /หˆษกรคrdฤ“ษ™n/ noun a defender, protector, or keeper. ๐˜ฑ๐˜ณ๐˜ฆ-๐˜ฉ๐˜ถ๐˜ฏ๐˜จ๐˜ฆ๐˜ณ ๏ฟฝ... Mais

๐“๐‘๐ˆ๐๐”๐“๐„๐’
๐๐€๐‘๐“ ๐Ž๐๐„
๐Ÿ โœซ ๐š๐ง ๐š๐œ๐ญ ๐จ๐Ÿ ๐ค๐ข๐ง๐๐ง๐ž๐ฌ๐ฌ
๐Ÿ โœซ ๐š ๐ข๐ฆ๐ฉ๐ฎ๐ฅ๐ฌ๐ข๐ฏ๐ž ๐๐ž๐œ๐ข๐ฌ๐ข๐จ๐ง
๐Ÿ‘ โœซ ๐Ÿ๐Ÿ“๐ŸŽ ๐ฆ๐ข๐ฅ๐ž๐ฌ ๐ฉ๐ž๐ซ ๐ก๐จ๐ฎ๐ซ
๐Ÿ’ โœซ ๐ฒ๐จ๐ฎ๐ซ ๐œ๐ก๐š๐ซ๐ข๐จ๐ญ ๐š๐ฐ๐š๐ข๐ญ๐ฌ
๐Ÿ“ โœซ ๐š ๐ฆ๐ž๐ง๐ญ๐จ๐ซ'๐ฌ ๐ฐ๐ข๐ฌ๐๐จ๐ฆ
๐Ÿ” โœซ ๐›๐ฎ๐ฆ๐ฉ๐ข๐ง๐  ๐ก๐ž๐š๐๐ฌ
๐Ÿ• โœซ ๐š๐ง ๐š๐ฅ๐ญ๐ž๐ซ๐ง๐š๐ญ๐ž ๐ ๐š๐ฆ๐ž ๐ฉ๐ฅ๐š๐ง
๐Ÿ– โœซ ๐š ๐๐ž๐Ÿ๐ฒ๐ข๐ง๐  ๐ฌ๐œ๐จ๐ซ๐ž
๐Ÿ— โœซ ๐ซ๐ž๐ข๐ง ๐ข๐ญ ๐ข๐ง
๐Ÿ๐ŸŽ โœซ ๐ฅ๐ž๐ญ ๐ญ๐ก๐ž ๐ ๐š๐ฆ๐ž๐ฌ ๐›๐ž๐ ๐ข๐ง
๐Ÿ๐Ÿ โœซ ๐ง๐ข๐ง๐ž ๐œ๐š๐ง๐ง๐จ๐ง๐ฌ
๐Ÿ๐Ÿ โœซ ๐ฆ๐ฎ๐ญ๐ญ๐š๐ญ๐ข๐จ๐ง
๐Ÿ๐Ÿ‘ โœซ ๐ซ๐ž๐œ๐จ๐ฏ๐ž๐ซ๐ฒ
๐Ÿ๐Ÿ’ โœซ ๐ฌ๐ž๐ฏ๐ž๐ง ๐ซ๐ž๐ฆ๐š๐ข๐ง๐ข๐ง๐ 
๐Ÿ๐Ÿ“ โœซ ๐ฌ๐ž๐ž๐ข๐ง๐  ๐ซ๐ž๐
๐Ÿ๐Ÿ” โœซ ๐š ๐ฏ๐ข๐œ๐ข๐จ๐ฎ๐ฌ ๐ฏ๐ข๐œ๐ญ๐จ๐ซ๐ฒ
๐Ÿ๐Ÿ• โœซ ๐ญ๐ก๐ž ๐š๐Ÿ๐ญ๐ž๐ซ๐ฆ๐š๐ญ๐ก
๐Ÿ๐Ÿ– โœซ ๐ฌ๐ข๐ฑ ๐ฆ๐จ๐ง๐ญ๐ก๐ฌ ๐ฅ๐š๐ญ๐ž๐ซ
๐Ÿ๐Ÿ— โœซ ๐ฉ๐š๐ง๐ข๐œ ๐š๐ญ๐ญ๐š๐œ๐ค
๐Ÿ๐ŸŽ โœซ ๐š ๐ฌ๐ข๐ฅ๐ž๐ง๐ญ ๐ฉ๐ซ๐จ๐ฆ๐ข๐ฌ๐ž
๐๐€๐‘๐“ ๐“๐–๐Ž
๐Ÿ๐Ÿ โœซ ๐ญ๐ก๐ž ๐Ÿ•๐Ÿ’๐ญ๐ก ๐ก๐ฎ๐ง๐ ๐ž๐ซ ๐ ๐š๐ฆ๐ž๐ฌ
๐Ÿ๐Ÿ‘ โœซ ๐Ÿ๐ข๐ง๐ง๐ข๐œ๐ค ๐จ๐๐š๐ข๐ซ

๐Ÿ๐Ÿ โœซ ๐š ๐ฏ๐ข๐œ๐ญ๐จ๐ซ'๐ฌ ๐ฌ๐จ๐ซ๐ซ๐จ๐ฐ

1.6K 124 111
De luvbug_26

•| ⊱✿⊰ |•
𝐂𝐇𝐀𝐏𝐓𝐄𝐑 𝐓𝐖𝐄𝐍𝐓𝐘-𝐓𝐖𝐎

     𝐃𝐄𝐀𝐓𝐇 𝐇𝐀𝐒 𝐁𝐄𝐂𝐎𝐌𝐄 𝐀 consistency in Sage Rowan's life. She is familiar with it more than anyone should be. Not that the District's are not used to death themselves, especially her fellow victors. She wasn't the only one. If you did anything that even could be misconstrued as rebellious, you are normally punished as a result by President Snow hitting you where he knows will hurt you the most. By killing those you love.

    Sage didn't know what to expect when it came to the repercussions for her actions that resulted in the Capitol protesting outside of President Snow's mansion. That was a new level of insubordination. In all honesty, Sage knew she should not have admitted all that she had to Lorcan in front of all those cameras. But then again, at the time, she didn't think she was going to make it out of there alive. She was prepared to die in that arena, so she didn't exactly plan for the aftermath because she didn't think there would be one. To be fair, she didn't expect to receive such a big reaction like she did. She didn't expect anyone to actually care. But then again, confirming that she did believe the rumor of being a Capitol baby probably would have a bad reaction, as it is one thing to hear rumors, but another to admit it was most likely true..

    Like any normal victor, she feared that a punishment would cost her those she cared about, now that she has some. She was mainly concerned about Adrian, as she would be an obvious choice seeing as how she is the reason all this has happened. Not that Sage was blaming her in any way, it was her choice to save her, but it made Adrian an easy target. Unfortunately, she was only half right. Because killing Adrian would have only angered the people of Panem once they found out. She was adored not only by the District but by the nation now. They can't touch her without retaliation.

    But that didn't mean it protected other's in Adrian's life.

    Sage can still remember that dreaded day like it was yesterday. It was just a simple day. About two months after she finished her tour. She was out with Adrian, taking the female out past the restricted area to continue their training. Adrian still couldn't do much due to her injuries, so basically Sage was just trying to build up her muscles and get her strength back by exercising. What happened to her was never going to happen again and Adrian didn't really put up much of a fight when Sage came to her and told her she was going to learn to protect herself as soon as she was healed. Adrian hated how weak she had been, how she wasn't able to fight back. She hated how little she felt. She wants to be strong. She wants to be able to fight back. She wants to be able to protect herself like Sage can. So agreeing was the easiest decision Adrian ever made.

    Upon returning, both girls were having a good day, actually smiling and joking about, but there had been commotion when they returned. Everyone was going to the North Square, near the Peacekeepers post. Where they have the executions and whipping stand. Sage remembers being dragged there eight years ago, receiving ten lashes. She will bear the scars for a lifetime.

    Adrian had stopped a girl she knew well, Zoe Malek, to ask what was going on. Sage will never forget the look on Zoe's face when she saw Adrian, the sympathy and regret of being the one to inform her of what was happening was written as clear as day all over her olive tan skin. When Zoe finally spoke the words, both Adrian and Sage broke out into a sprint, neither one believing what they just heard.

    There were many confused murmurs and people crying at the sight before them. By the time the two best friends arrived, what they saw was horrifying. She can still hear Adrian's screams, pushing past everyone to get to the front. By the time she was there, she found her mother already there, sobbing and barely able to stand, being held up by none other than Walker who shared a worried, empathic look with Adrian and his mentee.

    "Mom! Mom, w-what's happening? What are they doing?!" Adrian had demanded, grabbing her mother's arms as she stared up at the man with the noose around his neck.

    That man was none other than Mayor Lennon Pine.

    Sage could barely process the words going around her as she held onto Adrian, especially when she tried to step forward, calling out her father's name. The new Head Peacekeeper, Darius Forge, stepped up to give the sentencing. "This man, your very own mayor, Lennon Pine has been sentenced to death for suspicious acts of rebellion. He has been stealing supplies from the Peacekeeper's base. We have found several pieces of contraband after doing a thorough search of his home with his fingerprints all over the weapons. As you all know, anyone in possession of a firearm is punishable by death."

    "I'm innocent! I've been framed!" Lennon had cried out desperately.

    Everything had happened so quickly. No one knew what to do or how to process. Sage didn't know what to do other than hold Adrian back from running up there to try to free her father. Walker had been doing the same with Mrs. Pine. Both were hysterical, but both Sage and Walker held onto the two women, knowing they would end up arrested and most likely executed themselves if they even tried. Sage didn't believe the accusations. Lennon Pine was a gentle man. He would never do something so incredibly stupid and sloppy like that.

    But there was nothing anyone could do. Nothing Sage could do without making things worse. Interrupting an execution is punishable by death, no matter who the hell you are. There was no trial. There was no fair play. Just power hungry idiots who clearly set this man up.

    And it's all Sage's fault.

    She didn't realize it at first. Not as she was clinging to her dear friend as she did her best to shield her face when they pulled the lever that released the floorboards from underneath him, right before he yelled out how much he loved his wife and daughter. Both of them had been on the dirt ground, Adrian screaming and crying and Sage doing her best to block her from the horrid image. There wasn't a dry eye there as everyone witnessed another innocent man's death.

    It wasn't until Sage was finally able to return home, with both Adrian and Felicia Pine as their home had been destroyed looking for the 'evidence', Walker having left to go get Hyacinth who had been wandering about, not sure what was happening or where to go when she was forced to leave the home during the search. Sage found something sitting on the desk in the office room after she helped both Adrian and her mother into bed in her guest room. It was a fresh bouquet of white roses, perfectly grown and plucked with a note card sticking out of it. One sentence. Just one that made her blood run cold and caused a breakdown of her own.

    Foolish actions have dire consequences.

    That is when Sage had her second panic attack. She smashed the crystalized glass vase against the wall and fell to the ground in anguish, barely able to breathe. Walker had come running, as he just returned with Hyacinth and heard the noise. He wasn't able to get her out of it despite trying the three method. It wasn't working. Not that time. Instead he just did his own thing and sang some old song she had never heard of before until she had calmed down.

    Sage couldn't believe that was only six years ago. It feels like it was last week. The pain, the utter guilt she felt. It was her fault. Her foolish, careless actions caused dire consequences, just like the note said. She was ruining everything she touched.

    Of course, Adrian held no blame towards Sage, even after she found out that it was set up by President Snow. Adrian even got angry at Sage for blaming herself, when everyone knows who was at fault. President Snow was not a leader, but a dictator. His way of keeping the Districts in line is starvation, fear and murder. Failure to comply always results in death. Any innocent act that can be conceived as defiance is punishable by death of a loved one. To instill power and to isolate you, making everyone feel desperate enough to follow behind him and his ways because they are too scared to do anything about it.

    Adrian changed after that day. Her determination for training became more insistent on her part and sometimes Sage would see her out there practicing the moves she had taught her by herself. It became Adrian's outlet for her anger and grief. Just like it was for Sage. She was still the same, loving girl she has always been, but she was more hardened. Much stronger and more confident in herself. But just because Adrian nor Felicia held zero blame towards her, that didn't mean Sage had forgiven herself. She just tried not to show her pain and guilt in front of either of them, knowing Adrian would only get upset with her for it.

    Sage was currently sitting up in the same tree she has been climbing ever since she was a little girl and would come out here to hunt. This is where she would always go whenever she didn't want to return home, not wanting to deal with her mother if she was having one of her bad days. It just became her special spot. She'd tie whatever she had caught in her snares high in a branch so no wild animals could come get it and climb to the biggest branch there was, enjoying the semi-freedom being out here. She was safe from sight if any hovercrafts were to fly over, but one time she had accidentally fallen asleep and made it back past curfew. There was just something about this place, this tree, that made her feel secure. Safe.

    It has been three months since the 74th Hunger Games. Things in 9 haven't really been affected by what went down during the recent games. Of course many talked about it, about Katniss Everdeen tricking the Capitol into crowning two victors instead of one, because there was no way she nor Peeta Mellark could live without one another. People were still talking about it to this day. Sage was not close to anyone in this District other than Adrian and Walker, but that doesn't mean she doesn't hear things. She was treated much better over the years so some people tend to bring her into their conversation whenever they see her, asking for her opinion. Pretty much all of the people in her District believed their little star-crossed lovers story. Sage knew it was bullshit, but she never voiced it. Why ruin their cover story when it was clearly working in their favor?

    To be honest, she was living for the drama of it all. Anything to make President Snow look like a fool. It was very amusing.

    Sage, currently sitting up in the tree, stared at the branch that was right next to her, remembering how for the first time since she's been coming here, she actually shared her secret spot with someone a few times. Not that Walker or Adrian doesn't know about it, but they've never been interested in climbing trees or just sitting here for hours on end like she is. And she remembers being completely startled by that someone's arrival, she nearly had fallen off of it.

    No longer able to work in the fields, Sage found herself sneaking past the gates more frequently, just like she used to before she started working. She had barely slept the night before, her nightmares the worst they've ever been. She has been out here since dawn and by where the sun was, she would say it was about noonish. She was so exhausted that it didn't surprise her when she started drifting off the moment she settled into her spot at her special tree. She was content... at peace for the first time in a while, despite all the stress she has been under with the upcoming Hunger Games only a month away. Her first mentoring gig on the road of many for the rest of her life.

    "Are you taking a nap in a tree?" A voice suddenly called up, causing the redhead to snap her eyes open in alert and sit up, but accidentally leaned a bit to the left and nearly fell off, gripping the stiff texture of the branches as tightly as she could, steadying and holding herself in place.

    Leaning over to look downwards, she was flabbergasted to see a familiar dirty blonde haired male standing there, hand over his eyes to shield the blinding sun and that same cocky grin on his lips she remembered during her tour which showed a hint of amusement. Sage blinked down at him, gaping from utter shock and confusion. Because standing there at her special place, was the last person on earth she'd ever expect to see here.

     "Finnick?" Sage forced out, still trying to figure out if this was real.

    A chuckle escaped the man as he waved nonchalantly. "Hey there, Angel."

    "What are you... How did you-" Sage sputtered, shaking her head briefly. "I'm sorry, I think I'm hallucinating right now."

    "Aww, it's nice to know I'd be someone you'd hallucinate about if that was actually the case." He responded playfully. "Unfortunately, I'm as real as that blaring sun. It's seriously hot here, worse than 4 and I didn't think that could be possible."

    Sage ignored his words, still in her stupor. "Finnick, what are you doing here?"

    "I think the better question is, why are you napping in a tree?"

    Sage blinked at him in disbelief. "Uh, no. No, no. My question is definitely the better one. What the hell are you doing here?"

    "You mean here by this tree specifically or here in 9 altogether?" Finnick continued to dodge the question with his smartass remarks, trying hard not to laugh at the frustration forming on her face.

    Sage's nostrils were flaring at this point. "You do not want me to come down from this tree. It will not end well for you, pretty boy."

    "You know, for a Guardian Angel, you are very violent." He teased again, which Sage just glared down at him harshly. Finnick only chuckled and raised his hands in surrender. "Fine. Mind climbing down from the tree."

    "Actually I do. You are interrupting my time. Get to climbing, pretty boy."

    Finnick sighed and stared at the tree, analyzing the best route to get up there and once he found the perfect place to start, he started climbing. He did it with ease and grace, moving perfectly without even breaking a sweat, until he settled on the thick branch that was right next to hers. He grinned after he made sure he was secure and then brushed the dirt off his hands.

    "That was easier than I thought. This is probably the weirdest looking tree I've ever seen. What kind is it?" Finnick questioned, examining it from a higher height now.

    "It's called a Live Oak. It's my favorite because it's the best for climbing." Sage explained, though annoyed with the subject change.

    "It's beautiful. Definitely secure. How were you going to sleep here though? You have no rope to support you. What if you fell off?"

    "I don't know, the worst case scenario is I'd break my neck and die. Best case scenario, I walk away with a sprained wrist or broken leg." Sage answered honestly, giving a shrug like it wasn't the first time she has thought of this. "Can you please stop changing the subject?"

    "I'm sorry, what was your original question?"

    "Finnick."

    He chuckled again at her frustration. It was softer, gentler and much warmer. He was clearly enjoying himself just fine teasing her and driving her mad by avoiding her main question. Finally, he settled his head back against the stump and picked at his black jeans. "Alright. Only because you said please. I was asked to come here and was given permission."

    Sage waited for a further explanation, but he clearly was not obliging. "That doesn't make any sense. Who would ask you to come here? Why?"

    "I think I'm going to keep that part to myself for now." Finnick replied. Sage was about to question him further but the look in his eyes was no longer playful, but more serious. "As for why I'm here, up in the weirdest looking tree I've ever seen in my life, is because I was looking for you. Went by your house but a lovely young girl by the name of Adrian said you were out hunting. She is very sweet, and offered me some water before I left. I think I met her once on my own Victory Tour, but I had been drunk during those dinners I can barely remember. Anyway, I had Walker show me how you sneak past the gates and then I followed your trail."

    "You followed my trail?" Sage questioned, though it came out more surprised than she meant to.

    "Is that so hard to believe?"

    "I just didn't think anyone from 4 would know that skill. They don't really have a lot of woods or forests for any of you to really learn. Just water." At least that is what Lorcan had told her when she attempted to teach him to cover his tracks.

    Finnick nodded, adjusting himself so his foot was propped up on the branch and his other swinging off of his. He rested his arm on his knee and leaned back against the trunk again. "True. I didn't for the longest time. Especially not when I was in my games, though it would have come in handy. But it was something I learned after. My friend Cecelia taught me when I was over at 8. You met her I think."

    Sage nodded softly, remembering the brunette woman in her late twenties. He had been really nice, but Sage had barely been in the right mind set meeting her at the time. She only really remembered one thing about her. "The female victor in 8. Yeah. She's pregnant with her second child."

    "She was pregnant." Finnick corrected using the past tense. "She had the baby a month after your tour. A boy."

    Sage didn't respond to that. She wasn't trying to be rude, but she didn't know the woman well enough to really care about that. What was she supposed to say? Good for her for being one of the rare victors for starting a family? At least those children will be wanted. At least if anything happens to Cecelia and her family is thrown out of Victor's Village, they will have their father to care for them. At least those kids will have each other to lean on if shit hits the fan.

    What Sage really wanted to know is what the hell Finnick was doing here, but she could tell by the look on his face that he was reluctant to tell her the truth. He said he was asked to come here, but by who? Why? What would be the purpose?

    Finnick pulled her attention back by adjusting again, grunting in annoyance. "How were you going to take a nap up here? I can barely get comfortable."

    Sage shrugged, resting her head back. "It wouldn't be the first time."

    "You know where a good place to take a nap is? A bed. That is a wonderful place to take a nap." 

    The redhead found herself chuckling, watching as he nearly slipped off. Finnick's green eyes flashed up to meet hers, wild and yet surprised at the same time. "I'm glad I could amuse you."

    "If you would stop moving so much, you wouldn't almost fall."

    "You really need to smile more, Angel. It suits you better than the resting bitch face." Finnick said randomly, to which the redhead only allowed her smile to drop. Finnick frowned in confusion. "You know I meant that as a compliment, right?"

    Sage pressed her lips together in a thin line and shrugged. Understanding he somehow made things uncomfortable, mainly because he doesn't understand that Sage just does not handle compliments well, Finnick chose to change the topic. "So why are you out here napping in a tree? Did you even go hunting?"

    "There wasn't anything out today. And, if you must know, I just didn't feel like being at home today. Or around people." She told him, pointedly.

    Finnick hummed, choosing to ignore her words that she wanted him to leave. "Is today a bad day or something?"

    "You could say that."

    Finnick didn't respond, instead he seemed to get into a better position and was able to stop moving constantly. He studied her for a long period of time, contemplating his next words. When he spoke, he sounded excited. "Let's make a deal. If you share with me this secret you are so reluctant to tell, then I will tell you the reason I am here. The only catch is that I don't have to tell you mine just yet. I can choose when I tell you. And you won't have to tell me anything else personal until I fess up."

    Sage brushed her hair out of her face and frowned at him. "What is the point in that?"

    "So we have someone to talk to that might understand more than the people who haven't been through what we've been through." Finnick explains with a small shrug. "Share a secret, promise a secret. Hey, that's actually really clever. I just came up with that."

    Sage shook her head again. "I don't know. It's not really a secret-"

    "Well, it's clearly bothering you enough to be hiding out here all day. Whatever is said between us, stays between us." Finnick promises. But Sage was still unsure, hardly knowing this guy. But surprisingly, she found herself believing him. Sage has always been a good judge of character, other than her freaky mind, it was like another superpower. It was always a feeling, and she felt the sincerity in his words.

    So... she caved.

    "Today was supposed to be Adrian's father's 50th birthday. He died two months ago."

    Finnick whistled. "Damn. I didn't even know he had died. He was nice enough from what I remember. Were you close to him like you are with Adrian?"

    "No." Sage whispered, shaking her head. "No, but it's my fault he's dead."

    Finnick hesitated before responding. "Why do you believe that?"

    Sage whipped the sweat off her brow, the smothering heat reaching its worst today. "Because President Snow told me it was." Silence fell between the two and Sage cleared her throat before explaining further. "He sent me a boutique of-"

   "White roses." Finnick finished for her, causing the redhead to snap her head up to look at him, slightly surprised. He had a haunted look hidden in the depth of those green eyes and sighed roughly. "What did the note say?"

    Sage's heart was beating out of her chest and she felt like she might be on the verge of a panic attack. She hasn't had one since that day when she found the note, and she definitely did not want to have one at her special spot in front of Finnick Odair. How did he know there was a note?

    After a minute, Sage spoke in a whisper again. "'Foolish actions have dire consequences.' Adrian's father was framed. He was found with contraband in his home that he apparently was going to use to start some kind of uprising."

    "What actions was he referring to?"

    "I assumed whatever the hell I said in the arena that caused a protest in the Capitol." Sage answered angrily. Not that she was angry at Finnick. Just angry in general. "Wait, you were there. How bad were the protests?"

    "Walker didn't tell you?"

    "He did. All he said was that they weren't so bad and were seized pretty quickly."

    "He's right. About a little over a dozen people. They were protesting your extraction from the games. Nothing too serious, but definitely caused some attention." He informed, his grin reappearing. "You have your very own fan base in the Capitol."

    "They can all go to hell." She snapped bitterly.

    Finnick lifted his head. "Even the ones in 4?"

    Sage blinked up at him. "I don't have a fan base in 4."

    "Technically, no you do not have a fan base. You have something much greater in District 4." Finnick leaned forward, somehow he had gotten much better at keeping his balance on the branch than he was before. "You have their undying support."

    Sage blinked at him, taken back by his words. "Support? Support for what?"

    "For... everything, I guess." Finnick chuckled, humorlessly. "Your District are assholes for how they treated you growing up."

    Sage pinched her lips together. "You don't know what you are talking about."

    "No? So what you told Lorcan in the arena, that was all a lie?"

    Sage glared harshly at him, though he had gotten her there. "So, what? D4 supports me out of pity?"

    "Pity?" Finnick repeated, chuckling once again in dry laughter. "No one would be stupid enough to pity you, Angel. They admire you. You chose to save one of our own. You were tossed to the side by your own District because of something completely out of your control. They abandoned you. You gave the people in 4 hope. You became an official citizen of 4 the minute you choose Lorcan over yourself. Hell, I think they might love you more than they love me. I don't exactly blame them, I'm not the easiest person to like."

    "I can't imagine why," Sage muttered dryly, swatting a fly out of her face. "I don't want anyone following me. I can never be a part of District 4, so it's pointless for them to waste their time on me."

    "Would you?" Finnick questioned suddenly. "Would you move to 4 if you could?"

    Sage was taken back by the question, but funnily enough, the answer came easily enough. "If I could bring Adrian, Hyacinth and Walker with me, yes. Mainly because..."

    Finnick smiled knowingly. "Because of the Ellison's?"

    Sage sighed before nodding softly in agreement. "Have you seen them? Are they doing okay?"

    Finnick smiled softly. "You really care for them, don't you?"

    Sage didn't respond, instead played with the angel wing necklace that she hasn't taken off since it was given to her. Finnick sighed, adjusting his position again. "I see them a couple times but not much. I'm always traveling to and from the Capitol, it's hard to run into them. But I did manage to make a special stop to their house before I left. Mora asked me to give you this."

    He then proceeded to pull something from his back pocket, struggling to get it out while trying not to fall. Sage's face lit up immediately, curiosity peaked her interest as she watched him finally pull out a folded, thick paper. He held it out and Sage took it hesitantly, examining it. Noting her hesitation, he spoke up again. "It's a letter, from Mora and Atlas both."

    Sage straightened and graced her fingers over the folded parchment. She couldn't believe they wrote her a letter. That they went out of their way to write her a letter at all. She didn't expect to ever hear from them again, though her thoughts will always be with them. She felt a pull towards them both. To their warmth and kindness. They were Lorcan's family... they will forever be important in Sage's life. She just never thought they would ever feel the same.

    "I leave tomorrow morning on the next train." Finnick voiced, never once looking away as Sage held the folded letter close to her, her other hand still playing with her angel winged necklace. "If you want to write them back, I'll make sure they get it."

    Sage finally lifted her gaze back at him, completely confused. "Why do you keep helping me?"

    "Does there have to be a reason?" Finnick resorted.

    "Isn't there always a reason people do the things they do?"

    "Fair point," he muttered, before cocky another smile. "I guess I agree with my people. You are someone worth supporting. Besides... I don't have many victor friends other than Cecelia and Mags. The others tend to avoid me because I am a Capitol favorite and I'm a Career who hates being a Career. I'm branded as an outcast, which I'm assuming you are too. I figured, us outcasts should stick together."

    Sage understood completely, gripping the folded letter tightly in her grasp before lifting her gaze back up at him. "You are a very strange person, do you know that?"

    Finnick laughed loudly this time, causing a few pigeons in the tree to fly away. It was different from his previous chuckles. This was carefree and filled with light, genuine happiness. It was contagious, so much so Sage was fighting back her own laughter.

    Once he settled down, he shook his head before starting to climb down. "This is a wonderful start to a beautiful friendship."

    "Who said we were friends?" Sage called out as he jumped down the rest of the way once he was about a foot from the ground.

    Finnick just turned back to her and cocked a crooked grin. "I did. This isn't going to stop your guilt or stop you from blaming yourself, but what happened to Adrian's father, it wasn't your fault."

    Sage didn't respond, just turned her head down. He was right, the words weren't going to help, but he seemed to know she needed to hear it even though she doesn't believe it now. Finnick sighed again. "I'll stop by later tonight to pick up your letter. See you then, Angel." 

    He didn't wait for a response, just continued walking away in the same way he came. Before he got too far out of reach, Sage found herself calling out again. "I hate that nickname!"

    "I know!"

    Sage did learn the reason why he was here in 9 that day and when he finally confided in her, she understood why he had been so reluctant. She has had plenty of experience with someone in her life being forced into something absolutely disgusting and despicable, but she had no idea that it would happen in some Districts. She figured it was usually in the Capitol. But apparently, the Head Peacekeeper was a valuable client before he was transferred to the Districts, according to Finnick.

    Sage had been sick to her stomach at the thought that he was forced to do it. Just like her mother. She could tell how uncomfortable he was to tell her, how embarrassed he was. When she had asked him who Snow threatened, because she knew that is how he got victors to agree. Apparently it was his older brother and his kids. Knowing his discomfort, Sage took the information, swallowed the urge to kill the Peacekeeper and then changed the subject by asking him about his brother, who she had no idea he even had.

    Sage has spent these three months trying not to think about him. It was hard. How do you forget someone who has become such an important part in your life? It was her own fault for getting attached. It was only a matter of time before her group started distancing themselves from her.

    "Sage!"

    The redhead lifted her head as she heard running towards her and soon, Adrian appeared in front of her, a bright, happy smile on her lips and her eyes sparkling with glee. "I did it! I hit the target right in the bullseye."

    Sage blinked out of her wandering state of mind and climbed down from the tree until she was right next to her giddy best friend. The redhead gave a stiff smile in return, walking over to where she had marked the target on a tree about seven feet away and was impressed to see the knife she had gifted Adrian embedded in the stump. It was loose and hanging on for dear life, but she did hit the target.

    She pulled the knife and turned back to the brunette. "Congratulations. After six years and three months, you finally were able to hit the target."

    Adrian playfully shoved her, causing Sage to chuckle in response. Adrian had wanted to learn knife throwing from the very beginning of their training. She has gained a lot of muscle and upper body strength and can hold her own in a fight. She mastered self-defense moves easily and is very good at tracking and hunting now, though she doesn't care for that last part as killing defenseless animals was really hard for her. However, for some reason, she can't aim for shit. Six years, her aim hasn't been able to improve once.

    "I think we should head back now. We've been gone for too long and you know my mom hates it when we are late."

    Sage didn't protest, grabbing her other large knife and placing it inside her boot. "Yeah, okay. Let's go."

   Sage had all but insisted Adrian and her mother move in with her when they had been kicked out of their home. Their home was for the Mayor of District 9, not for a family of traders, is what the son of bitch Head Peacekeeper spat at them when they went back home. They couldn't exactly stop her from letting them stay with her. Victor's Village is made for the victor and their family. Well, Adrian is practically her sister and Felicia Pine was like a step-mother. She and Felicia got along fine and respected each other but didn't have a deep emotional connection.

    Sage didn't mind sharing the place with them, but had put up strict rules about the doors on the closets and the mirrors she had shattered. They were the only thing Felicia wasn't allowed to touch, but gave the woman free range on everything else to do what she pleased. That and to not touch her garden in both the front and backyard. Sage actually preferred having them here, as living on her own only brought her back to her homeless days before she met Hyacinth.

    Hyacinth. It's been a full year and seven months since her death and Sage still felt the sting of it all. Her death was bittersweet, because unfortunately Hyacinth lost herself to her dementia over these years and it was becoming very difficult and hard to manage. She would often wander off on her own or she would confuse Walker with her deceased husband. She would cause scenes and hurt herself occasionally. It pained Sage to see the stubborn old woman lose her sense of reality like that. When Sage had gone to wake her one morning last year, the eighty-four year old woman had passed away peacefully in her sleep. Sage had been heartbroken, but a part of her realized that she would no longer be suffering anymore and she couldn't think of a better way for her to go.

    She missed her every single day.

    Sage walked back in silence as Adrian went on and on about how she finally was able to hit the target. After all these years, her aim was finally improving. Sage didn't have the heart to tell her that it was probably just a lucky shot, not wanting to destroy her confidence. Despite all the shit she has been through, Sage was still amazed that Adrian was able to keep her bubbly personality. It was refreshing.

    After discarding their weapons in the same pocket of a tree trunk, the two girls climbed over the fence and made their way back to Victor's Village. Most of the people were working in the fields or in the factory. Sage sometimes missed working in the fields, missed being able to keep her hands busy. It was the perfect way for her to work out and continue to build her strength, but she has had to find other methods since she was no longer allowed to work, being a victor and all with actual money.

    No, instead she was forced to pick up a hobby. Something to intrigue the audience and to have something to talk about in interviews. Sage had tried many, many different things, but it was impossible for her to find anything that she liked enough to truly stick to. Bird had been frustrated because she had been left in charge of finding something for her, but Sage pretty much was horrible at mostly everything. She did not have an artistic bone in her body and she wasn't fond of music and instruments. She didn't have the patience for baking or knitting or fashion design. She has tried candle making, which she hated and was bored to tears with.

    She had taken a strong liking towards writing. She has written a few silly short stories, but Bird said that it was a useless hobby because there was no way President Snow would allow her to publish anything. Bird said it was unethical but Sage knew it was because he would never give a victor that much power with her words.

    They had pretty much run out of options, until Bird returned to 9 and saw her garden she had been working on. Sage had bought most of the seeds when she was in the Capitol as she would have gotten them anywhere else and she had remembered when she visited Mora and Atlas in D4 and they were showing her their garden. She asked Mora tons of questions about it and where she started and just went off what the woman told her. This was no way intended for anyone else's eyes, but when Bird saw it and saw Sage's passion for it, she knew that this was it. It was something they could bring the camera to and have interviews remotely from her home as she took them on a tour. Sage had been reluctant at first but caved when Bird told her she was going to have to choose baking, because even though it bored her to death, she wasn't horrible at it.

    Finnick told her she should have pushed for the writing more, because her stories were beautifully written and people needed to read them. He was the first one she allowed to read them, because at the time she didn't care enough that his criticism would affect her too much. They were still in the beginning stages of their growing friendship.

    Now that friendship was in shambles. It's crazy how fast things can change.

    "You're quieter than normal." Adrian said suddenly, bringing the redhead back to the present. "Is everything alright?"

    Sage nodded her head. "Yeah. Everything's great."

    Adrian didn't buy it. She was silent for a little bit before speaking again. "Is it Finnick?"

    "No." Sage stated bluntly.

    "I know you think you did something wrong. But I'm sure there is an explanation-"

    "I just said it wasn't about Finnick!" Sage snapped, glaring at the brunette who sighed loudly.

    "Okay, sorry I brought it up." Adrian said to make peace, but knew Sage was lying through her teeth. The rant Sage went on when she came home three months ago after the 74th Hunger Games was one of the longest Adrian has probably ever heard her speak. She had been so full of rage about Finnick avoiding her. But Adrian noticed something else behind all that anger. Sage was hurt. Of course the stubborn redhead would never admit that.

    The only good thing about Victor's Village, it was a lot closer to the restricted fences where she hunts, so it didn't take them long to return back to the house. When they walked in, Felicia had the table set and a smile on her face when they came around the corner. "There you two are! I was worried you weren't going to make it back in time."

    "I told you we would be mom." Adrian said, walking over to kiss her cheek. "It smells amazing like always."

    "I tried a new recipe. I hope Walker likes meatloaf."

     "Walker is a foodie, Felicia. He'll eat literally anything you put in front of him." Sage informed the woman, walking into the kitchen to pour herself a glass of water.

    Felicia chuckled before looking between both girls and frowning. "You two are all dirty! Go get changed! This is supposed to be a birthday dinner after all. We should look nice."

    Ever since Walker made the mistake of telling Felicia when his birthday was, both Pine women went out of their way to celebrate it by cooking him a nice dinner. Apparently they have a thing about birthdays, seeing as Adrian has constantly given Sage birthday gifts every year since they met. Though, it was never on the correct day. Still to this day, Sage refuses to tell her best friend the actual date and month of her birthday, leaving the day before the Reaping Ceremony her honorable birthday until the day Sage fesses up. To be honest, Sage prefers that day over her own, as her actual birth date was never one for celebration.

    Adrian looked at Sage and rolled her eyes at her mother's antics before both of them headed for the stairs. Adrian went up first but before Sage could follow her up, there was a knock on the door, stopping her in her tracks before she even got half way up.

    "I'll get it." Sage called out, heading back into the foyer, most likely thinking it was Walker being as early as ever. He was humble at first when they started doing this for him, but it became something he looked forward to every year.

    But when she opened the door, it wasn't Walker who stood there. Sage's expression hardened and her heartbeat picked up slightly at the man who stood at the other side of the threshold. He wore the same cocky smirk and stood tall with his hands behind his back.

    "Hey there, Angel." Finnick Odair said casually, like he hadn't been avoiding her for several weeks a few months ago or caused the worst mental war to go off in her mind to figure out what she had done to upset him so much.

    Which is probably why Sage responded by slamming the door in his face.

____________________________

Gosh this is only the beginning and I'm living for Sage and Finnick! This flashback was so fun to write!

So this will be the last update for a few weeks. I need to study for a test for work so I can keep my job! I need to focus on it because I am a horrendous test taker and there is math in it and I'm trash at math. So yeah, I need to spend my nights studying unfortunately but I wanted to give you guys one more chapter before I disappear for a few weeks!

Hope you all understand and you enjoyed the chapter. It may have been a filler but it was fun to write!

Continue lendo

Vocรช tambรฉm vai gostar

43.7K 797 25
Two district 4 citizens trying to survive in Panem as victors with an unspoken love dwindling between them. She tries her best to not let her love fo...
437K 15.4K 22
โif a victor is considered desirable, the president gives them as a reward or allows other people to buy them for an exorbitant amount of money. if y...
3.1M 97.5K 62
หห‹ยฐโ€ข*โ€โžท ๐‘๐”๐ˆ๐๐’ # ๐ŸŒŠ๐Ÿšโš”๏ธ -', เผ„ โช ๐™ต๐™ธ๐™ฝ๐™ฝ๐™ธ๐™ฒ๐™บ ๐™พ๐™ณ๐™ฐ๐™ธ๐š โซ ๏นŒ๏นŒ๏นŒ๏นŒ๏นŒ๏นŒ๏นŒ๏นŒ๏นŒ๏นŒ๏นŒ๏นŒ๏นŒ๏นŒ๏นŒ ๐—ถ๐—ป ๐˜„๐—ต๐—ถ๐—ฐ๐—ต โ” a former district four victor is t...
299K 5.9K 95
Querencia - a place from which one's strength is drawn, where one feels at home; the place where you are your most authentic self Talisa Moreno Winne...