Long Story Short | Theseus Sc...

By kjlyds

With a dark wizard's rise to power, the International Confederation has assigned two aurors from the British... More

𝐋𝐎𝚴𝐆 𝐒𝐓𝐎𝐑𝐘 𝐒𝚮𝐎𝐑𝐓
000 a heroine and king
𝚨𝐂𝐓 𝐈
001 cycad manor
002 a suspicious witness
003 a trip to paris
004 confessions & tears
005 a plan gone right
006 i see sparks fly
007 a familiar face
008 defenceless words
010 an offer & a plan
011 to reconnect
012 new meetings & chaos
013 an unsettling feeling
014 i remember it all too well
015 actions & consequences
016 the grudge
017 homewrecker
018 cat and mouse chase
019 it's a crime scene
020 in and out
021 warmth & snow
022 fight or flight
023 crash the party
024 drunken stumbles
025 alleyways of london
026 in the holiday spirit
027 the war hero & the fool
𝚨𝐂𝐓 𝐈𝐈
028 oddly freeing
029 the moment i knew
030 cold shoulder
031 quite the contrary
032 i wish you would
033 false farewells
034 to new land
035 a series of events
036 an interruption
037 investigating what?
038 it's a dinner party
039 the confederation
040 tears and a letter
041 executioners
042 the babysitter
043 way things go
044 the wreckage
045 bittersweet goodbyes
046 cafe gossip
𝚨𝐂𝐓 𝐈𝐈𝐈
047 the book about beasts
048 chaotic mishaps
049 bottled up emotions
050 don't poke the bear
051 three broomsticks
052 delivering a letter
053 if only she were smarter
054 victim analysis
055 collecting herbaria
056 the princess & the hero
057 set the trap and watch
058 to say forevermore
059 the purposed danger
060 i know you better
061 rumours in a ballroom
062 an impromptu event
063 acquiring a portkey
064 all she had to do
065 it's better left unsaid
066 nostalgia

009 confined feelings

1.7K 60 0
By kjlyds

· · ─────── ·𖥸· ─────── · ·

"You too, huh?" A boy took the chair next to her. She knew of him and he knew of her but they had never talked. They were in the same year, classes shared everyday and yet she had never spoken a single word to him. Sitting by the corner in the large ballroom, Ariadne hoped that she could disappear. That her soul would finally leave her body and disperse into nothingness. Her earrings were getting heavy, dragging her ears down. Her feet began to hurt under the immense pressure and she was growing tired of it all.

"I've always hated these things," he continued, watching as couples glided through the dance floor, elegantly waltzing to an unfamiliar tune. Others chatted with their friends while sneaking glances of distaste at other groups. Ariadne peered at the boy. His blonde hair was neatly combed from his face, something that his mother probably enforced. His blue eyes seemed to carry so much life within as he stared at the crowd.

"Can't hate them more than me," she muttered, giving him a small smile.

"Is that so?" He stuck out his hand. "Edwin Flint." She already knew that.

"Ariadne Nott." He already knew that.

"So, you're the girl that Caelum hates," he mused, glancing over to Malfoy who was approaching a group of girls. Ariadne followed his eyes, watching Malfoy charm his way through, though his eyes kept coming back to one particular girl.

"Glad to know my feelings are reciprocated," she joked and he snorted. Slowly, he broke through her defensive barriers as they lightly conversed under the dim lights. It was nice to have someone who wasn't up their own ass, thinking that the world revolved around them at events like these. Filled to the brim with hypercritical purebloods, Ariadne felt like she couldn't breathe without someone commenting on the way she exhaled. Edwin Flint was a pocket or air, free from bias and prejudice. She enjoyed his company more than she realised.

It wasn't long until Ariadne's father found them. Grabbing her arm tightly, he told his daughter that it was time to finally head home. He didn't even give her the chance to say goodbye to her new found companion before whisking her away. As she glanced over her shoulder, an apologetic look gracing her features, she found the pained gaze of empathy staring back at her.

"I don't want you associating with that boy," Silas Nott revealed out of earshot from Edwin. His fingers almost crushed his daughter's forearm as he led them out of the ballroom. He was looking for his wife and Ariadne was looking back at the boy. Without her presence, he looked lost, out of place in a sea of terrible creatures.

"Why?" Ariadne asked innocently, almost tripping over her dress as she struggled to keep up with his fast pace.

"Why? Have you not heard?" Silas denounced bitterly, "His family is a disgrace. I have no idea why Marcia invited them." The older man sent a glare over his shoulder, directed at who? Ariadne wasn't sure. She kept her head down, well aware that she was walking over eggshells. The younger girl did not want to upset her father further.

"Sorry, I was not aware."

"You are now. Don't let it happen again." They passed their hostess, Marcia Cycad, who bid them goodbye and smiled kindly at Ariadne. By the way his good nature returned to wish Marcia a good night, you would have not be able to tell he had denounced her name a moment before. Ariadne had always liked Marcia, she had a heart that was foreign within these lands. Ariadne's mother appeared from behind, placing a hand on her daughter's shoulder as she said goodbye to Marcia. They apparated away as soon as they left Cycad Manor.

Upstairs in her home, Ariadne threw off her dress, getting into something more comfortable. That was when she heard a soft tap on her window. As she squinted out into the snowy grounds, an owl flapped, tapping on the window with its beak.

Ariadne tried to shoo it away. Her father had locked the window with a charm. She couldn't reach it if she tried. The bird would only cause a noise that would get her parents suspicious. She didn't need that. Ariadne couldn't decipher whose owl it was but it clearly knew her. After a while, the owl just stared at her before flying away and Ariadne sighed, relieved.

Soon after the interrogation was done, Ariadne excused herself, returning to the house she shared with Theseus. The empty rooms brought her comfort, contrasting with the feeling of confinement she had felt in Flint's cell. She wanted to cry, seeing Flint again surfaced vulnerably she hadn't seen in herself for so long. He was the only one who knew of the life she lived behind closed doors. He was the only one who she could turn to because they were going through the same thing. He was her friend that she needed in their early years. It was disheartening to see him become exactly what they wanted him to be. Staring out into the street, it poured down from above. Rain covered the streets of Paris. As her pocket pressed against her torso, Ariadne brought out the watch. It was cold, smooth and felt delicate.

"Marcet sine adversario virtus," she whispered. There was a moment of silence before the clogs started turning backwards. They stopped as the hour hand aligned with the larger hand, pointing at midnight. In an instant, the protective glass case flicked open, revealing a Gringott's vault key.

It was an invitation, to either follow the path set out by the ob or return it to the Auror office. Her endeavour would lead her to break a few laws, but when has keeping to the rules ever helped anyone? There were secrets that could be discovered. Memories forgotten to time that could resurface. All she had to do was decide whether or not she wanted to continue.

It wasn't long until Theseus arrived, dripping wet from head to toe; nothing a quick spell couldn't fix. He found Ariadne in the drawing room, her legs tucked to the side as her stare was casted to the streets.

"Isaiah talked," he started as Ariadne continued to stare out.

"What'd he say?" She wondered without taking her eyes off the window.

"Nothing useful," Theseus answered truthfully, "But that was all he knew." There was a moment of silence, both of them watching the rain that fell. It was somewhat peaceful. By now, they had both learned that courteous manners were hard to come by with each other. They both thought that Barracus was out of his mind to assign this mission to the two of them.

Despite that, Theseus could not suppress the curious desire bubbling in his body. "How does Flint know you?"

"We were in the same year level, remember?" She answered blankly, "He was in my house."

"Was he friends with Malfoy?" He asked. The unspoken implication of confusion didn't reach Ariadne.

"He was nicer than Malfoy," she shot back, finally turning to him. Not every Slytherin is a bully, she wanted to yell but thought better of it as another thought coming to her mind. For a moment, she debated telling him but what was the worst that could happen. This could help her mission and right now, the desire to prove to everyone that she could achieve this consumed her. "Flint said that Grindelwald wanted to meet me." Theseus' head snapped to Ariadne's side profile, her eyes glued to the rain as she avoided his stare, though she could feel it burning through.

"Why would he want that?"

"I don't know."

"Ariadne. I can tell when you lie," he chided, anger threatening to overflow. "I want the truth. I am sick of your lies and your cryptic answers."

"What makes you think you are entitled to know?" She retaliated. Her words came out slowly like dripping poison. Ariadne shot up from the couch, standing in front of Theseus. Anger wrapped around the both of them, like a sticky string, pulling them both into an inescapable pit. "How can you expect me to tell you anything at all when you have been nothing but hostile to me?"

"Hostile? As if you haven't said anything degrading towards me." He stood up as well, towering over her, his eyes blazing with fury.

"So what? At least I don't expect you to share every detail of your life with me."

"I don't. I just hoped you'd tell me things regarding our mission," he sneered, "You want to catch Grindelwald, don't you? Or are you exactly what they say you are?" She knew what he was implying. A part of her just wanted to hear what he thought out loud. Her father had left his Ministry title abruptly behind. Rumours circulated the community. It was said that he joined Grindelwald's pursuit of justice. However, nothing was confirmed, not for the media at least. Rosier, under the guise of Ms Millard, had confirmed Ariadne's suspicion. It just so happened that Theseus was there too, side by side at Cycad Manor. It was no secret that people started turning the spotlight onto Ariadne. If they could not get answers from the man himself, they would ravage the next best thing: his daughter.

"Which is? Say it."

"A spy for Grindelwald."

"I am nothing like my father. Don't you dare say otherwise." She pointed a finger at his chest, smoke coming out of her ears as she glared up at him. He had never seen her so livid. Her face contorted into rage that only came through hatred. "I don't take joy when he parades around the street, building an uproar in people who want to rule over muggles." He had gone too far, he knew that but did nothing of the sort to take it back. His silence was demeaning. "I am glad to know that you think so little of me. I hope one day everyone finally finds out how heartless you are." She glared at him as she walked past. He scoffed but said nothing, running his hand through his face. Her footsteps were heavy as she travelled up the stairs, finding sanctuary in her given room.

[1724 words]

a/n

the aesthetic board at the top is actually my favourite one ive done so far, let's all appreciate it. also theyre getting even more heated in their arguments, that wont change anytime soon, dw.

don't forget to vote and comment!

edited 22.05.24

kjlyds

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

604K 16.1K 112
"Darling, Quiet. Don't want to be caught now do we?" Y/n Bardot, a troubled girl swallowed in desires, problems and potential. She craves nothing mor...
81.2K 1.9K 16
COMPLETED- Theseus Scamander. Everybody knows him. The war hero, the head auror. If you haven't met him, you certainly have heard the grand stories o...
36.9K 829 30
"Time. Curious time. Gave me no compasses, gave me no signs. Were there clues I didn't see?" A "thread of gold" that connects two soulmates and bring...
92.3K 4K 67
*Complete* Chapters 1-14: Gellert and Albus in 1899, two handsome, power hungry young adults planning to change the world...they were closer than br...