𝐬𝐒π₯𝐞𝐧𝐭 𝐜𝐫𝐲, var!gens...

By -wwanderlust

[genshin!var x isekai!gn!reader] 𝐀 𝐇𝐄𝐀𝐑𝐓 𝐅𝐔𝐋𝐋 πŽπ… 𝐒𝐓𝐀𝐑𝐋𝐄𝐒𝐒 π„πŒππ“πˆππ„π’π’. 𝐈𝐍 π–π‡πˆ... More

a new life
love interests; part 1
love interests; part 2
playlist
prologue
act one
chapter one
chapter two
chapter three
chapter five
chapter six
chapter seven
chapter eight
act two
chapter one
chapter two
chapter three
chapter four
chapter five
chapter six
act three
chapter one
chapter two
chapter three
chapter four
act four

chapter four

5.1K 286 134
By -wwanderlust

━━☽⋆° ✧⋆°━━

┏━━✦❘༻༺❘✦━━┓
chapter four;
the ballista's design
and the musical
rivalry.
┗━━✦❘༻༺❘✦━━┛

❝ the world remains constant over the centuries. but human life is like the dew at dawn or a bubble rising through water. transitory. ❞

━━☽⋆° ✧⋆°━━

It was hilarious whenever Cloud Retainer and Guizhong had a competition on which of their inventions were better. Y/N always found themselves holding their stomach, unable to breath as the two traded joking insults at one another.

It always ended in Rex trying to break it apart and make an impartial decision for them, as neither of them trusted Y/N's judgement when it came to mechanical inventions (which was fair) and as Cloud Retainer once said, "If Y/N were ever to invent something without help, one would think the world was ending."

Y/N, while taking offence to that statement, couldn't deny the truth of that fact. They were horrible at creating or engineering mechanical-type things.

It didn't mean they didn't like watching the two play around with their inventions. Y/N often sat with Guizhong or Cloud Retainer whilst they were creating things, and the h/c haired Adeptus was always so curious and was often seen asking questions, to which both the Goddess and the blue-haired Adeptus happily indulged, answering any question Y/N threw at them.

Y/N... was just happy to be in the presence of their two friends. They knew what was going to come sooner or later, the death of Guizhong, the departing of Streetward Rambler, who took on the name of Madame Ping... Rex finally realising that he couldn't be the brutish brawn he was. Seeing things that would never have been told in canon - the pranks that Guizhong liked to pull on Mountain Shaper and Mooncarver. The way she was always speaking to humans, getting to know them on a personal level.

The way Cloud Retainer, no matter how much they argued, looked at her with a soft gaze of a friend who loved her. The way Streetward Rambler would often go to Guizhong to ask for advice of a song (even though they considered each other rivals in music... Guizhong liked to make a lot of friendly rivals, for some reason) and the way Rex would seek the Goddess out if he was having a problem with his people, or to help with a plan for battle.

Little things like this really were what drew Y/N in to them, making them realise that they didn't just care for them because they were characters from their favourite video game, but rather, as people. Y/N cared for them as individuals that had helped them when they had been stuck in a world, whilst not unknown, was different to what they were used to.

Which takes us to what exactly was happening right now - Guizhong and Cloud Retainer once again discussing (more like arguing) over which of their designs were better. The best part about it, other than Y/N just standing there, glancing between the Goddess and the Adeptus, was that Guizhong's invention was a ballista.

As in the future's Guizhong Ballista.

So Y/N sat on their own stool at the table that would have usually been found on Cloud Retainers mountain, with their arms crossed, trying not to let a smile slip on their face. There was a warmth in their heart, knowing that instead of the canon's three stools around the stone table, there was four - one that belonged to Y/N only.

It took a few hours of arguing and it wasn't until Rex came back that they finally toned down the fighting. The arguing two immediately turned towards the God and asked for his input.

It wasn't a surprise to the h/c haired Adeptus when Rex chose Guizhong's ballista after some careful consideration. Rex joined them at the table, sitting in the seat opposite to them, taking the cup of osmanthus wine Y/N had prepared in advance for him. Both the Adepti sat in silence, basking in each other's company happily sipping on their drinks.

"I still don't know how you manage to choose, Rex." Y/N mumbled as they held their head with a hand, elbow laying on the stone table. "With my limited knowledge on the subject, I don't think I'd ever be able to make a choice."

Rex only looked at the h/c haired with a subtle fondness that was only for a select few to witness, "It comes with time. Guizhong would speak of her inventions all the time, so you end up picking up something on the topic after a while."

"Tell me about it..." Y/N smiled, looking over at the Goddess and Adeptus still discussing their inventions - thankfully not arguing - unaware of the loving and admiring gaze of the God next to them. "Even then, after all these years, I'm still quite an amateur at all the mechanical engineering... or whatever it is, they do."

The God of Geo hummed, taking another sip of his tea, amber eyes never straying from the Adeptus in front of him. "If you ask, I'm sure they'll happily teach you."

Y/N's head whipped around to the God with comically wide eyes, Rex not phased by the least at the sudden movement, "I tried that! But Cloud Retainer nearly bit my head off once for messing up one of her inventions!"

It was silent for a moment, then a snort was heard. Y/N gaped at the usually stoic man, who was now coughing to hide his laughter.

"Don't laugh at me Rex! I fear nothing," Y/N babbled, which was true - after facing real death in their old life, they weren't that afraid of death of themselves, but rather, the deaths that they would witness in years to come. "But Cloud Retainer? I fear her when it comes to mechanisms."

"Mhm, I'm sure." Rex's lips twitched up slightly, before going back its neutral expression. "At least you tried."

Just as the h/c haired Adeptus was about to respond, they were interrupted by a yell from the silver-haired Goddess, motioning for them to come to her.

"Looks like I'm needed." Y/N mumbled, setting their cup on the table and slowly stood up until a black gloved hand grasped their own.

Looking at the brown-haired God of Geo who looked pensive and almost uncertain, he opened and closed his mouth a few times before settling on, "Come sit with me after."

Putting their other hand on top of his own and nodded. "Of course, Rex. I'll be back soon." With one last smile, their hands slipped away as Y/N walked towards the waiting Guizhong and Cloud Retainer.

The brown-haired God watched with a small, almost unnoticeable frown on his face. He couldn't begin to explain what the foreboding feeling in his stomach was trying to say that settled there everytime he saw the silver-haired Goddess and the h/c haired Adeptus together.

✧・゚: *✧・゚:* *:・゚✧*:・゚✧

Y/N let the soft breeze waft over their bare legs, their eyes closed as they hummed a small tune they remembered from their old world - Gurenge, yet they had forgotten which artist sang it.

It was safe to say sometimes they did miss their old world and the interests and hobbies they liked.

They shivered as a soft hand brushed against their cream-coloured horns, a small 'sorry' leaving Guizhong's lips as she continued to caress their head.

"What song was that, my dear?" Guizhong whispered, not wanting to break the tranquil and serene atmosphere they'd created on top of the hill they were on. "It sounds beautiful." There was a pause, making Y/N crack one of their e/c eyes open to stare up at Guizhong, their head comfortably sat on her lap. She booped them on the nose and smiled, "Like you, my handsome Adeptus."

Raising one of their hands to cover their face, trying to keep the silver-haired Goddess from seeing their red cheeks of embarrassment.

"It's just an old song I remember from before," Y/N explained in a low voice after their cheeks had calmed down. "I can hum a few more, if you would like?"

"Hmm," Guizhong hummed in agreement, a few pieces of her silver hair fanned her face beautifully, the sun creating a halo on top of her head. "Please."

Y/N softly smiled at her and closed their eyes again, feeling the heat of the sun. The soft wind breezing by, and the warm feeling of being in the company of Guizhong.

It took a few minutes for them to figure out a song to hum, one that they remembered.

Reflections by... The Neighbourhood?

Y/N sighed, realising their memories of their old life were slowly fading. At least they remembered the song.

Clearing their throat, they started to hum the song, they remembered the lyrics all too well.

It seemed fitting in this context.

Humming to the part of the lyrics of 'I see my reflection in your eyes', Y/N opened their eyes, immediately making eye contact with Guizhong's stormy ones. She smiled and stroked their cheeks with her thumb. Even whilst looking at her upside down, she was most of the most beautiful people Y/N had ever met. Inside and out.

As their voice faded out at the end of the song, silence encompassed them comfortably. Both busy admiring each other.

"You have the most beautiful eyes, my dear." Guizhong whispered, the smile still present on her face, thumbs continuing to stroke their cheeks.

Y/N only smiled, heart warm and their heart felt almost complete in this moment in time - it felt like it was missing something... and they knew exactly what they were missing. They'd never admit it, though.

"How is that musical creation of yours coming along?" Y/N asked, e/c eyes diverting to side, looking at the mountains that covered the landscape, and the golden glow cast upon them from the sun, the few clouds littering around the sky.

"It's coming along well, and it's the Cleansing Bell!" Guizhong pouted, "I've told you this many times, Y/N!"

Y/N chuckled, "Sorry. Is Streetward Rambler still mad at you?"

"Yes..." Guizhong continued to pout, stormy eyes also looking at the horizon, watching as birds flew by. "I feel like she'll be coming to argue with me once more, soon."

Remembering the cutscene where Rex Lapis has to intervene by Cloud Retainers request, Y/N only giggled, "Knowing her, and you, I will not doubt it."

✧・゚: *✧・゚:* *:・゚✧*:・゚✧

The first time Y/N had heard that Guizhong had finished the Cleansing Bell was when Cloud Retainer had come up to them and Rex whilst they were drinking some tea and looking over some battle plans.

"They're arguing even more." Cloud Retainer bluntly spoke, "One wishes for you both to stop them, as one thinks it has been going on for far too long."

Y/N only hummed and stood up, taking Rex's hand in their own and dragged him along, following after Cloud Retainer. "I knew this would happen."

"Why are they arguing?" Rex questioned, still not one trivial matters such as music or human customs.

Y/N glanced behind, realising he never took his hand out of theirs, rather, he had tightened the grip on it. They took a deep break before responding to the God, "They both enjoy the same thing, but their views are vastly different in what how they want to achieve what they want. Guizhong believes mechanics can help produce musical components, whilst they may not be on par with human composers. Streetward believes that music can come only from ones soul, not mechanisms."

"You seem to understand them quite well, Y/N." Rex observed just as they stopped behind the navy-haired Adeptus.

"Of course." Y/N replied simply, "I make it my mission to understand everyone - everyone has a different way of living. It interests me that people - mortals and immortals alike - can live in harmony even with such vastly different ways of going about their lives."

The h/c haired was oblivious to the gaze of silent awe as they pondered their own answer. It was true; the way people lived in this world compared to their old one was so utterly different and at first... it scared them. It was the world in which their favourite characters live in. But they soon accepted that instead of feeling scared, they should embrace this opportunity and learn of all the ways that people lived. Find out all the things that were never shown in the game.

Y/N was interrupted from the monologue in their head by shouting. Looking up, they saw Guizhong and Streetward Rambler glaring at each other, and it almost looked like lightning was crashing behind them with how intense it was.

Nudging Rex, they whispered to him, "You should probably do something."

The God hummed and made his way towards the two, and not long after, was the confiscated Cleansing Bell in his hands.

Y/N only watched with a smile, knowing it was beginning of a closer friendship with the two who still glared at one another.

(As usual, they were correct. Streetward Rambler soon became someone who joined Guizhong and Y/N when they decided to walk up the mountain they frequented, often discussing music and human affairs - two things that they were able to keep up with - and mechanical things - which Y/N had no clue about.)

━━☽⋆° ✧⋆°━━

❝𝐓𝐇𝐄𝐘 𝐂𝐑𝐈𝐄𝐃 𝐒𝐎 𝐒𝐈𝐋𝐄𝐍𝐓𝐋𝐘, 𝐒𝐎 𝐋𝐎𝐒𝐓, 𝐀 𝐇𝐄𝐀𝐑𝐓 𝐅𝐔𝐋𝐋 𝐎𝐅 𝐒𝐓𝐀𝐑𝐋𝐄𝐒𝐒 𝐄𝐌𝐏𝐓𝐈𝐍𝐄𝐒𝐒.❞

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

35.6K 1.4K 23
"i am not and will never be raiden makoto, i know that." the puppet slowly blinked her shimmer-lacking eyes as she stared at the electro archon who k...
29K 729 13
(Rewriting this fanfic on another genshin book) πŸ’«You died and has transported into genshin impact (I know clichΓ¨), and accompanies the traveler on t...
453K 9K 20
α΄›Κœα΄‡Κ€α΄‡ α΄‘Ιͺʟʟ ᴄᴏᴍᴇ α΄€ sα΄ΚŸα΄…Ιͺᴇʀ, ᴑʜᴏ α΄„α΄€Κ€Κ€Ιͺᴇs α΄€ ᴍΙͺΙ’Κœα΄›Κ sᴑᴏʀᴅ. Κœα΄‡ α΄‘Ιͺʟʟ ᴛᴇᴀʀ Κα΄α΄œΚ€ α΄„Ιͺᴛʏ ᴅᴏᴑɴ, ᴏʜ ΚŸα΄‡Ιͺ-ᴏʜ ΚŸα΄€Ιͺ-ᴏʜ ΚŸα΄Κ€α΄…. . α΄›Κœα΄‡Κ€α΄‡ α΄‘Ιͺʟʟ ᴄᴏᴍᴇ α΄€ α΄˜α΄α΄‡α΄›, ᴑʜᴏsᴇ α΄‘α΄‡α΄€α΄˜α΄Ι΄ Ιͺ...
132K 3.4K 44
Have you ever wondered what it would be like to be actually Isekai'd. Not reading a character going to another world but you yourself getting sent to...