The Minoan Rhapsody

By Al_R_Arce

Olympus had no foresight, clouded by the chaos created by their own. As they struggled from within, the Minoa... More

Three Sisters
The Fall
The Sintians
The Olodon
Everything
Mosychlos
The Nekromanteion
Avaris
Lemnian Fire
Olympia
Spectators
The Zagreus Rite
The Strogula
Behemoths
The Fatherless
Poliochne
Giza
Respite
Ravaged
Daedalus
The Myrmerkes
Moudros Bay
Naukratis
Tailless Dog
Dealing with Gods
Rest easy. Rest well.
Myrina
The King
Olive Grove
A Slave and the Unborn
Rebuild and Protect
Black Hearts
Pentheus
The Market
Kekiru
The Kapeleia
Pasiphae
Three Conversations
The Cretan Bulls
Elderberries
Atal-s'en
A Promise
Whispering
No Pause
Five Days
Lampa
A Second Promise
A Message
Icarus
Lemnian Deeds
The Festival
The Return
The Keiftu
The Labyrinth
Epilogue

The Contest

67 6 1
By Al_R_Arce

Kabeiro's days as king were near an end. He was old, sick and weak, seldom leaving his chambers. He ruled long and wisely, increasing the prosperity of the Keiftu. There was great uncertainty amidst the twilight of his reign.

He had three sons: Rhadamanthus, The Wise; Sarpedon, The Just; and Minos, the youngest. All three of them were adopted, leaving no bloodline succession to the throne. Kabeiro had to decide which of them would be the next king. It was no easy task as two of the three were respected and admired by all.

Rhadamanthus was the oldest and a visionary. Sarpedon tempered his impetuousness through counsel of his elders. Both had different ways of influencing those around them. Minos, on the other hand, was impulsive and had no foresight. Too young to wield a spear, he was always too eager to prove his worth. He didn't understand that manhood cannot be rushed.

Kabeiro pondered for a long time. He walked through the Palace's rooms, deep in meditation. Yet the more he thought, the farther he was from reaching a decision. Then one day, it came to him. The Gods will tell me which one will be. He summoned the three.

"I am proud of you all. You have become men of good. You have proven yourselves to be great leaders of men..."

Minos took his eyes off his father. Staring at the floor he pressed his lips. Politeness out of love is still a lie, he thought.

Kabeiro continued, "I am near my time and one of you must become king. For as much thought as I have given this, I am unable to decide who will continue to guide our people once I am gone. It is for this reason I have asked for the intervention of the Gods."

All three of his sons looked at each other and to their father, their puzzled eyes intersecting in unanswered questions.

"Each of you shall go on a hunt. He who brings me the most extraordinary creature shall be crowned king. The full moon will rise in three days. You will depart then. You have one cycle to gain the favor of the Gods."

The three remained silent as they tried to grasp the magnitude of the task at hand. Rhadamanthus was not a man of arms, thus he wondered about his possibilities. Sarpedon was venturous and he immediately smiled when he heard of the contest. Minos was more than willing to take on the challenge, not accepting he was not yet capable.

The news of the contest quickly spread throughout the island and beyond. The uncertainty of Kabeiro's end gave way to anticipation, as the Keiftu wagered on their favorites, the Wise or the Just, to win the throne. Minos was ignored. Thus, the day arrived when all three of them faced their father, at the plaza that rested on top of the palace, overlooking Knossos with the sea as the backdrop.

Rhadamanthus was of short stature. His body was wiry, light but with vigorous musculature above and below his wasp-like waist. His long flowing black hair cascaded down his back in serpentine curls . His loincloth was made of plain linen and he wore royal purple aprons in the front and back held together with a red tassel. A leather quiver full of arrows hung across his back. He held a bow in his right hand. His name was chanted by a large portion of the gathered crowd. He tilted his head down as he looked at a woman standing on the side. He smirked at her blushing, her bare breasts showing her arousal.

Sarpedon was taller than his brother. His extremities were long and slender, with broad shoulders. His skin was brown, slightly darker than that of an average Keiftu. He had a small scar on his forehead. He was bare-chested, proudly displaying his hairless body. A belt made of leather and bronze tightly held a bright colored wool loincloth wrapped around his very slim waist. Hanging from the belt, a bronze sheath held a dagger whose relieved ivory handle hinted to the royal nature of the bearer. He had a fisherman's net hanging from his left shoulder while he held a double-headed spear in his right hand. The women and younger crowd yelled in exhilaration. He nodded, waiving his hand at them while wearing a wide-open smile.

Minos was the shortest of the three. Stocky and broad shouldered, his torso was barrel-like. Two locks of black hair, one on forehead, one on the back grew from his otherwise shaven head. He wore a simple linen tunic. He had no weapons or tools. He frowned at the crowd as he rubbed with his fingers a charm that hung around his neck. It had the shape of a trident. No one cared for him.

The King saw all three of them vowing to him. He prayed, "All powerful Zeus, master of the sky, bearer of lightning, whose might draw together the clouds, divine one to whom we turn when we are alone, I call to you. As once you entrusted me your children, I now trust you my men. You know their hearts. You know their names. Keep them safe from the evils that lurk in shadows and in doubt. Grant them the wisdom to know when to push and when to back out. Most of all, allow them to honor you, through their prowess. All knowing Zeus, whose bidding we hear in silent voices, in you we trust our people, for you are the source of all visions. Your will shall bring us a King, your compassion shall return to us our sons."

The omnipresent silence which ruled during the King's prayer yielded to the clamor which erupted from the Keiftu. It was a day of righteousness, the beginning of the future. So it was that The Wise made his way inland, towards the white mountains of Kofinos, while one half of the crowd followed him in frenzy to the outskirts of Knossos. The Just turned towards the sea, the other half of the crowd following him while chanting his name, until he reached a ship: one sail, 24 oars. The hull was made of thin lattice Cyprus, dressed in a cloth skin. The crew waited for him.

The youngest remained at the plaza, alone. No one cheered for him. He turned around and was startled by the presence of his servant, . He was a native Keiftu, of fair complexion and dark tanned skin. "Don't you have something to do? Rooms to clean, or shit holes to unclog?"

"I just finished them. Do you feel the need to sit on one so you can share all your graces?"

"Just go away." Minos waived him off.

Kekiru raised his eyebrows and scanned around the plaza and behind his back. "You shouldn't complain about loneliness when that is all you seek."

"You keep talking and I'll have you out, permanently."

Kekiru simpered. "There are three princes I can serve but I choose you. No one else serves you."

Minos remained quiet.

"Don't you wish for anything?"

"I don't suppose you have any idea as to what I could do to prove my worth."

"You are asking me? You are a prince. You have the Keiftu at your disposal. Sarpedon was to take an entire ship and crew-"

"You know no one will help me. A gadfly receives more attention from a horse than I do."

"A gadfly is annoying. Ugly too."

"All you do is speak nonsense!" Minos closed his eyes and shook his head.

"Have you tried asking for help? Assistance maybe closer to you than you think." He saw Minos turn his back on him in silence. He began to walk away.

"Kekiru," Minos called without looking at him. "It's irritating when you don't pay your respects."

The servant sighed, bowed, turned around and left.

#

Ten days and ten nights passed and not a word of the brothers reached the city. The limestone paved roads, lined on both sides with one to three story-high white houses, carried the rumors and gossip of adventures, imagined by the common folk. The fields of grain, the vineyards and pasture lands all buzzed in anticipation of the wonders the sons would bring to prove their worth as king.

Throughout this time, Minos remained in the palace. Wandering, bewildered through the stone clad rooms: opening and closing doors that led him no closer to his heart's desire, the kingdom of the Keiftu. He went to Kekiru, who was placing a base with fresh flowers on a table inside his chamber. "What if I were to bring here the White Bull?"

Kekiru paused and paid attention to him. "You mean the Cretan Bull?"

"Do you know of any other?"

"You are delusional."

"I know it can't be killed. Has anyone ever tried to bring it here?"

"Not even Cukra, the best of the bull leapers dares get close to it," Kekiru answered.

"So, if I were to bring it here, it would confirm my worth," Minos said enthusiastically.

"Even if you were to somehow manage to bring it here, you'd need to warn all of Knossos so they could prepare. Otherwise, it would be a killing field. This is not a good idea."

Minos frowned and shook his head. He put his charm in his mouth and nibbled it. Even if I manage to get close to it, I am not strong enough to pull it here.

"Ask for help," Kekiru said.

"I'm asking you!"

"What do I know?"

"Just get out." Minos dejectedly waived him off.

"I was here first, working."

"It's my chamber."

#

It was on the fourteenth day that the first of the sons returned. The markets closed, the forges were quenched, and no olives were pressed. Rhadamanthus was back. Steadily, the crowd closed in on him as he walked through the streets of Knossos. He carried a fresh lamb leg bone in one hand, nothing else. Rumors of failure rushed through the crowd. He reached the main plaza and waited for his father.

Kabeiro surfaced with unconstrained exhilaration at his sight. They embraced.

A giant bird silently glided towards the city.

At first no one noticed, until a few scattered voices called to everyone's attention.

With the ease of a feather falling from above, the bird landed close to Rhadamanthus.

Knossos fell silent at the sight of such incredible occurrence.

The bird twittered shrill noises as it waddled towards The Wise One. It was the king of the sky, a bearded vulture. Twice as tall as Rhadamanthus, it was gray blue, with a slightly darker tail and lighter shaft-streaks. Long, broad black bristles at the base of the bill resembled a beard. The vulture featured an almost shaggy, fully feathered neck and legs. A powerful, imposing beak showed the nature of its bone crushing diet.

Rhadamanthus was quick to offer the bone he carried.

It quickly snatched it from his hand and made haste to crush it with its beak, feasting on the tender bone marrow.

"I've heard many stories of this beast, but I've never seen one alive," King Kabeiro said, unrattled by the event. "How did you come about this creature?"

"Like you, I'd only heard stories of this bird. Thus, I embarked on a quest for it. I was told it often nested on the north side of Mt. Kofinos. I set camp and patiently waited until I saw its flight. I followed it until it landed by a lone pine tree. Day by day, I studied its routine. I knew where it scavenged and where it slept. I built a trap and butchered a lamb which I used as bait. I gave the meat away to some folks in need as I only wanted the bones of the animal. I waited, trying my best not to disrupt the surroundings. Little by little, the vulture kept getting closer to my trap until it became careless. After I caught it, I tried my best to calm it down. It was not my intention to kill it but to subdue it. For those who influence royalty shall bear a kingship of their own. The vulture had no fear. Although captive, it still acted as if in control. I vowed and prayed to it. Fed it and gave it water until the day I let it loose. It did not fly away. I explained to it that I needed it to accompany me here to show all I am worthy of your crown. It agreed with me."

"Why do you feel this accomplishment is proof that the Gods approve of you as king?"

"The bearded vulture is king of the sky. It has no reason to yield to any living creature. Yet it chose to accompany me. If I can convince such a creature to follow me, then I am surely capable to guide our people to a greater future," The Wise One said as the crowd behind him erupted in approving cheers.

"The vulture belongs to the mountains. It has served its purpose," The King asserted.

Rhadamanthus approached the bird, which stood tall while looking down at him. In whispers, he spoke to it and once finished retreated a couple of paces. Majestically, the vulture spread its wings while emitting a loud chuckling noise. Flapping its wings, it slowly lifted flight to return to the White Mountains to the awe of the crowd.

To all of this, Minos was witness. Just another face lost in the crowd. He clenched his jaw and grinded his teeth as Keiftu bumped into him while hurrying to Rhadamanthus.

For seven days, the only talk throughout the island was that of the man who had subdued the bearded vulture. Children played with pigeons and ducks, as if birds could truly understand and obey as the vulture did.

Meanwhile, Minos grew restless, dejected at his inevitable fate. He grabbed the different swords, spears, and shields Kekiru kept bringing him upon his command. He tossed them on a pile in disgust. "I can't wield any of them!" He shrugged his shoulders at his servant. "How am I to hunt for anything?"

"You are not a hunter-"

"You are very astute, aren't you?!" Minos yelled.

Kekiru approached him and placed his hand on his shoulder. He looked at him with his brown eyes. "Help might be closer to your heart than you think."

"Having you as the only person I can talk to is more torturous than having no one at all." Minos began to poke his lips with his charm. "I can't do anything, and I don't know anyone who could help me. This is hopeless!" He stormed away from the chamber.

#

A couple of days later, a commotion brewed near the port of Knossos. Sarpedon arrived. The sea front was packed. The Keiftu stood shoulder to shoulder; row after row and cheered their beloved son as his ship docked. The nearby terraces and balconies were filled with women and children seeking a better view. As The Just One got off the ship, his crew grabbed ropes and dragged out of the ship a monstrosity from eons past. It was a massive, dark-grey colored fish, five times the size of a large dolphin. It had a bony armor-plated head with eyes enclosed within circular bone shields. Two pairs of bony dental plates embedded in its jaws, making its maw look like a beak.

The crowd questioned amongst themselves about the identity of the creature from the deep.

"Is this the offspring of Ketos?" One asked.

"It's a fish with the head of a bird!" Another one yelled.

With the help of his guard King Kabeiro made his way, down the road from the palace through the city to the harbor. He opened his arms and welcomed The Just One in the same way he'd done with The Wise One. "Tell me about this creature and how you caught it."

"No place holds more mystery than the depths of the sea. With my Keiftu brothers and one of our finest ships, I sought the grandest creature the sea had to offer. For days we sailed, tossing our baited hooks onto the water. The sea swallowed our fishing lines, weights pulling them down as deep as they could go. From time to time, we tossed our nets, dragging them near the bottom. Our patience was rewarded, as a shark, the size of which we'd never seen before got hooked on one of our lines. It dragged our boat for half a day as we took turns at handling the line. Following my lead, the men rowed to tire the beast. Once the shark weakened, we pulled it in. As its white silhouette got closer, something violently pulled the line. Blood stained the sea, and the line lost most of its weight. When we reached its end, only the shark's head remained on the hook. It was then that one of the men saw the beast. It slowly skimmed the surface, as if taunting us. We followed it as it swam leisurely. The men tired of rowing but remained resolute, as I encouraged them through the chase. Every time we drew close to the creature, it dove deep below us.

We decided to lure it to the surface by catching another shark. However, our luck was such that soon after we resumed fishing, we hooked a tuna. The fish was strong as it resisted the crew which was taking turns at pulling it in. The line cut their hands which had already bled from handling the line that hooked the shark. I kept encouraging them, helping them, making sure we didn't lose our catch. The tuna tired. We let it struggle close to the boat. I held my spear high above my shoulder while waiting for the monster to surface. The tired tuna floated sideways on the surface, as if waiting for the inevitable. The water swirled as the creature catapulted from below. It closed its beak with vicious force, snapping the tuna in two. Blood and guts splattered on the ship.

The spear I threw bounced off its bony head causing no harm. Quickly, one of the men tossed me another spear and I threw it as it swam away. This time it found its way between the bone plates of its head and neck. The death was quick, as we pulled the rope that was tied to the spear. It took all of us to pull it inside the ship."

The Keiftu cheered in approval.

"Why do you feel this achievement is proof that the Gods approve of you as king?"

"The key to our wealth is our domain of the sea. He who rules the sea shall rule the world. The Gods placed this, mightiest of all fish, on my path as a test. It was not I but my brothers, who pursued and conquered this creature. As I led these men," he said while pointing at his crew, "I shall lead the Keiftu, to expand our trade and our influence beyond the horizon, to bring to our shores undiscovered wonders."

The crowd cheered in admiration.

"Take the fish, gut it and clean it. Share the meat with all. Let them have their fill as we all celebrate your achievement," the King ordered.

To all this Minos was witness. Just another face lost in the crowd. He spoke no words; he held no thoughts. Everything seemed lost within the emptiness of his soul.

All the buzz on the island was about which of the two sons would be crowned king. Keiftu discussed which accomplishment was greater: the capture of the indomitable armored fish or the taming of the king of the sky. Wagers that would take lifetimes to be paid were made. The day had arrived when King Kabeiro would make his choice.

Meanwhile, Minos' anguish grew to desperation. He hadn't slept all night and it wasn't dawn yet. He had nothing, and the means of getting nowhere. All he had was his wish – a dream with no hope of becoming reality. He stood by the empty throne, on the palace balcony overlooking Knossos bay. With his right hand, he yanked the charm of his neck and squeezed it until the tiny trident poked his hand. "Are you standing there gloating at my failure?" He told Kekiru without looking at him.

He stood by the entrance to the balcony. "This contest is not yet over."

"It was over for me the moment it began."

"Just ask for-"

"Just be quiet and leave." Minos never looked at him.

"Minos!" The voice was deep.

Kekiru stared down at him, his eyes displaying swirling hues of blue. He grabbed his right fist and told him, "All you got to do is ask." He let go of Minos and stepped back.

Minos frowned as he saw how Kekiru's eyes turned brown again. He opened his fist, the trident charm still poking him. The palm of hand was wet. He licked it. Sea water.

#

Dawn arrived. The harbor was deserted. Minos walked on the sand, his feet in water up to his ankles. He stopped and faced the horizon. He saw the fleet of Keiftu ships scattered, anchored, waiting for their crew to set them free again. He heard seagulls leisurely calling for the fishermen to go out to fish. He felt Knossos anticipation, rising above the coast, preparing itself for a coronation.

Minos fell onto his knees. He opened his hand and contemplated the trident charm once again before turning his attention to the sea. He prayed. "I have nothing to offer. I can make no promises. I have no beasts to slaughter. There is only me, and this wish I have of becoming king. It is not that my brothers are not worthy, or that I have a rightful claim. It is just me, and this wish to be king. I do not know what I would do or how I would reign. I hear your voice in the crash of the waves. I know you are there listening to my desperate plea: that I, the one with nothing to give, ask of you, ruler off the sea – make me King, if King is what I am supposed to be, or drown my soul within the darkness of your deep."

His eyes closed as he cried like the child he was. Behind the sounds of the beach, he heard loud thumps, numbed by the sea. He saw nothing. The noise of the crowd gathering on the main plaza was announcing the imminence of the events. Minos stared at the sea, desperately seeking an unknown. There it was again, the loud underwater thump. A ship rocked from below. Shortly after, another ship was hit, this one closer to the beach.

He stood up and walked towards the sea, knee deep. Two more ships, anchored side by side, were separated as if invisible hands moved them apart. He heard something solid scraping their hulls from below. A dark, large cloud, lurking just beneath the surface moved towards him. Minos did not fear, but rather waited. He looked up as an island emerged from the sea.

The main plaza was packed. Never had a larger crowd ever gathered at Knossos palace. Thousands came from all corners of the kingdom to praise the King to be crowned. Both Rhadamanthus and Sarpedon waited for their father, along with high priestesses, and the most influential Keiftu. There were also people from lands afar: Athens, Egypt, Thrace, and Troy. There were Amazons, Mycenaeans, Illyrians and Villanovans. They all wore their distinct attires, all present for the Kings, old and new.

Kabeiro slowly rose from the depths of his palace to the thundering cheer of all present. He acknowledged his people, and then went on to welcome his guests. He approached his sons, hugged, and kissed them. He missed Minos. "Where is your brother?" he asked.

From the rear of the crowd, silence spread, like a fog reaching the seashore on an early autumn morning. Mute by the astonishment of what they saw, the people made way to a mountain, as it slowly dragged itself towards the plaza.

The beast was the color of white clay, with large red eyes. Its leathery shell was as wide as a house, and as tall as three bulls. The tail was protected by armored rings and sported thorn-like spikes at the end. The forelimbs were long and paddle-like, each one bearing two large claws, the size of hands. The head sported many knob-like and horn-like protrusions with two large horns facing sideways. It was a massive horned sea turtle.

Sitting atop its shell was Minos. His lungs were filled with pride. His semblance was radiant, exhilarated by the astonished faces of the crowd. The turtle dragged on towards Kabeiro and his sons. The floor's stone slabs cracked under the weight of the hulking giant. Once it got close to the King, it lifted its head and emitted a deafening high pitch whine followed by clucking sounds. Minos slid off the shell and patted the turtle by the side of the head. Proudly, he approached his father.

Like he did with his brothers, King Kabeiro hugged and kissed him lovingly. "Tell me about this creature and how you caught it."

"I didn't catch it, father. I did not hunt, lure, nor convince it to accompany me here. It came to me. I prayed to Poseidon that I wanted to be king. This creature rose from the depths of the sea, in response to my plea. I did not choose this beast as an offering to you. The beast chose me. The Gods chose me as the new king."

Rumblings echoed across Knossos at the words of young Minos. Suddenly the Keiftu wondered if either the Wise or the Just would be king at all.

"Why do you feel this beast is proof that the Gods approve of you as king?"

"Father, look at me! Am I capable of convincing the mightiest of birds, king of the sky, to come with me to face you? Do I have the prowess of killing the most indomitable fish of the seas? No. All I did was to ask, and the Gods provided. If this is not a sign that the Gods approve of me as king, then I do not know what is," Minos replied.

King Kabeiro approached the sea turtle. With his hand he caressed the shell as he walked around it, pensive. He devised the contest so the Gods would decide for him as to who would be king. He faced the turtle and looked at its eyes. Softly, he told it, "I understand. You may return to the sea."

The turtle slowly turned around and went back to the sea. The entire crowd followed it, as if wanting to see every move this mountain of a gentle beast made.

To all of this, Kabeiro stood witness, lost in the crowd. As he wished, the Gods spoke. The decision was not any easier, but he would obey the Olympian decree. Minos would be king.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

46.4K 1.4K 32
Kidnapped. After a startling discovery, Ali has been taken captive by Luke and his army. Kronos has almost attained enough power to rise, but he nee...
445K 9.1K 48
✅ completed 👌 The full moon slave with the unbreakable curse, Shall returns and the family will divert. Vengeance and hatred he shall seek to pay, O...
1.7K 571 15
In the dark ages of ancient Greek, Hades, the cunning lord of the underworld who had been tremendously hating humans he thought to be hypocrites for...
17K 454 23
"The first was Patroclus. The first was always Patroclus." Achilles. Son of a king and a goddess. Destined to become the Greeks' greatest. But there...