DARLING | Nikolai Lantsov

By Undertalesoflight

"You're not just sunshine, sunshine." (Nikolai Lantsov x Female OC) Highest Ranking: #1 for Lighthouse 🏆 #1... More

Characters
Important Introduction
Chapter 1 - The Beginning
Chapter 2 - The Hummingbird
Chapter 3 - Washed Ashore
Chapter 4 - The Island
Chapter 5 - His Company
Chapter 6 - Unexpected Visitors
Chapter 7 - The Closet
Chapter 8 - Over Board
Chapter 9 - New Adventure
Chapter 10 - I Like It Here
Chapter 11 - Late Night Talks
Chapter 12 - Walking On Light
Chapter 13 - Mermaids
Chapter 15 - Kissed
Chapter 16 - Taken
Chapter 17 - His Journey
Chapter 18 - Trading Post
Chapter 19 - Found
Chapter 20 - Saved
Chapter 21 - Heroic
Chapter 22 - The Stables
Chapter 23 - The Sea
Chapter 24 - Skin
Chapter 25 - Home
Book 2

Chapter 14 - The Festival

740 30 0
By Undertalesoflight

---Mara's POV---

Mara lay on her back on the deck, one of the blankets from her room beneath her. Her legs exposed and her dress flowing in the wind beside her. They had been sailing for days, and to be honest, she didn't mind. She had become closer with some of the members of the crew and was starting to feel more comfortable. It was starting to feel like home.

She was also starting to get used to the rolling of the sea at night and was sleeping well. Other than the nights that she lay awake thinking of Nikolai.

She would replay their moments together of that day in her mind. His eyes always making her heartbeat faster. Hearing him in the next room, always sending goosebumps up her arms. He was unlike anyone else that she had ever met. She couldn't help it but want to lean in deeper.

She sighed, the sun shining on her face. The warmth making it feel as if she was being gently baked in an oven of happiness. Suddenly something blocked the sun, and she opened one of her eyes.

"Hey you." Nikolai smiled. His hair a blazing fire of yellow in front of the sun. Mara smiled.

"Hi." She said softly. "What's up?"

"I wanted to see if you'd like to go to port with me for the afternoon." He said shifting his weight and putting his hands on his belt. "I just need to grab a few things. We will arrive in about an hour."

She sat up quickly, grinning. "I would love to!" She said excitedly. He smiled wider, offering her his hand. Mara took it and he pulled her up, slipping his other hand around her waist softly.

"Good answer." He smirked.

---Later that Afternoon---

"Oh my gosh," She exclaimed. "It's so beautiful!" She said, practically leaning over the side of the ship, her eyes wide open. They were approaching port and she could see hundreds of pink and orange tents lining the shoreline. The smell of flowers and sugared breads sweeping over the sea and meeting her nose. There were so many people, and every tent was filled with sparkling things.

Nikolai laughed, coming down the stairs and standing beside her.

"It must be the Spring Festival. What luck, you're going to love this." He smiled. He looked just as excited as she was feeling.

"Have you been before?" Mara asked.

"Oh yes, many times." He replied, looking over the scenery. Rolling green hills lay beyond the cute town of white houses and tan rooves. She looked from the shore to Nikolai, his side profile was incredibly handsome, and her heart quickened.

He was keeping his promise, he was showing her the world. Even if it was just for the afternoon. She waited to respond for a moment, then shook her head and just smiled. Enjoying being near him as they sailed to shore.

"We have reached the harbor!" Dogan said loudly above them. "Ready for anchoring!"

Nikolai grabbed her hand, pulling her to the other side of the ship. He took off his coat and threw it on the floor. Throwing his leg over the side of the rail and climbing down the rope ladder, not waiting for the men to put out the ramp. His boots hit heavily on the dock. Then he looked up at her and extended his arms, flashing her a dashing grin.

"Trust me?" He asked.

Mara climbed onto the rail and sat on it, her legs hanging over the side. It was much higher up then she had realized. But she pursed her lips and nodded, pushing off.

His arms caught her smoothly, and his grin only grew as he cradled her against his chest. His cotton shirt warm from the sun. His strength surprising her. He set her down and held his arm out to her to take. She looped her arm through his and they walked down the dock towards the tents.

"Sugared plums!"

"Quilts!"

"Spices!"

Many different voices shouting into the air around them. The streets were very busy, deals and bargains being made on either side of them. Everyone was smiling. Kids were running around and dancing. Almost at every tent there was something new to see.

It had been a while since she had been around so many people, so at first, she passed through the crowd silently. Taking comfort in Nikolai's arm. He remained steady.

"Oh, you have to try this!" He said, pulling her abruptly to the right. Bringing her to a small pink tent, that had the most delicious looking pastries she had ever seen.

Nikolai brought a few coins out of his pocket, and asked for two of a dessert that she didn't recognize the name of. The old woman with white messy hair in a white dress smiled at them and handed Nikolai a napkin with two round yellow buns. They looked to be glazed and had a little purple flower on the top.

Nikolai handed Mara the one with the napkin and took the other for himself. Slowly pulling her to the side and sliding them between two of the tents. Facing each other, them shared a laugh. His chest almost touching hers. His scent tingling her nose, salt and whiskey. The tents were very close together, and no one seemed to see them there.

He held up his pastry, and she touched hers with his. Mara smiled up at him, the hustle of the streets seeming to fade away.

"To the unexpected." He said softly, holding her gaze and then winking at her.

"To the unexpected." She repeated. Then they each took bites of their desserts, and Mara's eyes went wide. Nikolai laughed as he watched her mind be blown. The flavors of lemon and sweet cherry vanilla were devastatingly perfect.

Nikolai finished his with another bite and grabbed her hand.

"Cmon!" He said, his mouth still a little full. "Let's keep going!"

With one hand still holding her pastry, she held tight to the hand he held. Slowly, lacing her fingers with his. He looked back at her and smiled. They walked for a while, and she was sure that they would have reached the end of the festival by now, but it kept going. Each tent holding things more beautiful than the last.

"If you see anything you like, let me know." He said, gesturing to the tents we passed.

"Oh, you don't need to buy me anything." She said softly, throwing the napkin away in a trash sack as they passed it.

"I want to." He spoke.

Seconds after he said that she saw a little table beside her, where the most beautiful necklaces she had ever see, were laid out on a soft purple velvet. Each a different style, and each made with the most beautiful dainty pearls. She eyes caught one, and she stepped closer.

It had a thin gold chain, and then in the middle, sat three light pink pearls. The middle one a little bigger than the others. She gasped quietly, trailing it over it with her fingertips.

"That one is beautiful." The man said from behind the counter. "It's fitting for you." He smiled, taking it off the table and holding it out to her to hold. Before she could respond, Nikolai spoke up.

"I couldn't agree more." He said, paying the man, and taking the necklace from him. He held it softly in front of him, smiling at her. "May I?"

Mara turned around and swept her hair to the side and held it over her shoulder. Nikolai clasped the necklace around her neck, his fingers incredibly light against her skin. She turned around and touched the necklace.

"Thank you," She spoke, looking at him. The sun, tingling the skin on the back of her neck. The soft weight of the necklace, and cool pearls laying gently on her collarbone. "I love it."

Nikolai's grin widened. His gaze falling to the necklace, looking very proud of himself. Then without saying anything else, offered her his arm again. And they continued their stroll through the festival. Grabbing a few things that Nikolai needed for the ship. Every now and then passing some of the crew members as they also enjoyed the town.

Nikolai insisted on buying her one more thing, and although it was so hard to choose just one gorgeous thing. She settled on a light blue shale, the yarn carefully weaved together to create a network of tiny flowers.

She wrapped it around herself, and they made their way back toward the ship. The sun starting to set ahead of them. They walked quietly, listening to the soft music that played. Soon the lighting of paper lanterns on the outsides of the tents filled the air with a comfortable glow.

"Thank you for today." Mara said, as they began walking up the dock. "It was incredible."

He turned to her. "You're welcome! I had a great time with you today, I'm so glad you enjoyed it." He said quietly. She leaned into him and smiled sweetly as his gaze landed on her lips. Then he nudged his nose softly with hers, and she tilted her head up. Her lips parting as his landed tenderly against hers.

Their kisses turned deeper, and he backed her up slowly against the ship, leaning over her. His hands were in her hair, and his lips were desperate. His tongue swept across her bottom lip, and Mara gasped, her fingers curling into his shirt.

But all to soon the laughter of the crew was coming towards them. And Nikolai, hair messy and lips swollen, quickly walked her to her room. Giving her one more kiss before turning and heading back towards the deck. Leaving her breathless against the door.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

71.1K 2.4K 35
A prince in love with his childhood best friend. Nikolai, he loved the thrill of things and didn't mind using his charm to get things. He loved his...
2.7K 133 10
ˏˋ°•*⁀➷ 𝐒𝐄𝐀 𝐁𝐋𝐀𝐃𝐄 ⏝⏝⏝⏝⏝⏝⏝⏝⏝⏝⏝⏝ she was the assassin he was the privateer and together they were something greater than all...
478K 21.2K 35
death is my acquaintance i hope life can be my friend -𝗼𝗰𝗲𝗮𝗻𝗻𝗲𝘆𝗲𝘀© (kaz brekker x femOC) (shadow and bone; s1-2) (saints & dawn universe)
17.2K 542 7
An eternal love faces the harshest of challenges when the Sun Summoner prophecy comes true. In a six chapter saga, you and Aleksander weather the sto...