hoax | kaz brekker

Od lovefromvalerie

"i'm no saint, kaz" "you're the only one i believe in, malakai" or in which he was her warmth and she was hi... Více

introduction
one. chosen family
two. they pulled me apart
three. come and gone
four. in secret
five. it lives in me
six. light years
seven. you know me
eight. sleepless night
love from valerie <3
nine. keeping score
ten. with you
eleven. i'm a fire
SEASON TWO
twelve. pirates
thirteen. your fire
fourteen. want blood
fifteen. heaven is a place
sixteen. show you love
eighteen. give me a reason
nineteen. the night
epilogue. for the better
alternate ending. colour back
love from valerie <3

seventeen. epiphany

2.5K 86 8
Od lovefromvalerie

(malakai is partially non-verbal, so when dialogue is in italics it means that she or another character is using sign language.)

"only twenty minutes to sleep, but you dream of some epiphany"
epiphany by taylor swift

Malakai sat with Inej above the tea shop, watching carefully as Nina and Kaz talked to Ohval.

"Anyway, our contact mentioned that since The Disciple's retirement, he had periodically parted with some of his personal collection."

"You're looking for something specific."

"The Neshyenyer" Kaz got straight to the point, wasting no time in letting her know his intentions.

She turned her head abruptly. "The Neshyenyer is at Ahmrat Jen."

"From what we understand, that one's a fake."

"I wouldn't know anything about that" Ohval signalled to a waitress to bring more tea to the table.

Nina shuffled in her seat, sitting up straighter. "What if we told you The Disciple could name his price?"

"I'd say you have a surprising amount of disposable income..." She looked between the two, her smile fading. "For thieves."

The Heartrender chuckled nervously. "We're not thieves, we're, we're just collectors."

"I've worked with enough thieves to know them when I see them. If you want the blade, you'll have to steal it from Ahmrat Jen." Ohval quickly stood.

As Kaz stood to follow her, a waitress bumped into his chest, spilling tea all over him. Malakai immediately leaned forward as she watched the woman's hand graze his and, almost immediately, he began to panic. His breathing becoming ragged.

Nina's eyes furrowed, placing her hand over his. "Brekker. Brekker, just breath."

But Kaz quickly turned away, pushing his way out onto the street. Malakai immediately turned, rushing to the other side of the roof. Scanning the busy and bustling town of people like a hawk, she spotted him stumbling around. People complained and yelled out as he crashed into them, pushing them away from him. He was lost between the past and present. Malakai jumped down and wrapped her arms around him, slowly pulling him out of the street to sit in a doorway. He gasped as he hit the ground, his eyes frantically searching for hers.

"You were supposed to follow her, Malakai." Kaz growled, out of breath. He gripped his cane tightly to his chest for comfort, his knuckles turning white.

Malakai furrowed her eyebrows in anger and confusion, kneeling beside him. "I wasn't going to leave you, Kaz. Not like this... And Inej is following her as we speak." She held his gloves out to him, which he gratefully took.

"Thank you." Kaz's voice still shook from anxiety as he quickly pulled the leather over his hands.

"Of course. Are you okay?"

He felt his heart still and his racing mind quieten as he looked deeper into her soft eyes. Kaz spoke quietly, reaching his hand out to graze his knuckles against her jaw briefly. "I am now."

As the group slowly approached Ohval's home just outside of the city, Malakai took a moment to admire its beauty. It was completely walled off, understandably since they believed that she was The Disciple. A string of lanterns cast a hazy orange glow to the front of the home, giving an odd welcoming, yet ominous feeling to the place. The Crows all buzzed with excitement at the idea of a new heist since their last one all together, being that of kidnapping the Sun Summoner, had not gone completely to plan.

"This house is traditional." Tolya began, crouching down in front of the door to draw a picture in the dirt and pointed to each section. "It has a specific layout. We enter through the front courtyard, antechamber, middle courtyard, main chamber."

Kaz walked forward, beginning to pick the lock on the intricate gates, he was the best of all of them at breaking and entering. He turned to Wylan. "How long will it take you to set up?"

"I can have the door open in about five minutes. And if Ohval trips it, we have two minutes before the firecrackers go off to get out."

"Even if she returns prematurely, we cannot leave without the blade."

"Yes, the future of Ravka and my payment depend on it. I'm aware." Kaz replied sarcastically.

Tolya stood from his spot. "It's more than the future of Ravka at stake. If we fail, Shu Han, Fjerda, Ketterdam and beyond, we will all feel the weight of the Darkling bare down on them."

"Way to up the stakes" Jesper crossed his arms over his chest.

Malakai shook her head. "I won't let that happen."

Then, the sound of the lock clicking open gained their attention. The doors creaked as Kaz pushed them open, entering a serene and dimly lit courtyard. The sound of rushing water came from a fountain in the corner. Malakai marvelled at the beautiful home. They approached the doors of the antechamber.

"Whoever is going in last, close the doors behind you." Kaz said as they entered, leaving Wylan to set up his alarm in the first courtyard. They entered into what seemed like a completely empty room. But it was far too nice of a room to have no use, and this was the home of a thief.

Malakai held her hands out to stop her friends from stepping in. "We need to spread out. This room doesn't feel right."

They all nodded, spreading out across the room and searching every corner for any sign of another entrance or and trap.

Tolya suddenly stopped in his tracks, which prompted the rest of them to halt too. "I sense a heartbeat."

"I though the compound was empty."

"It's faint. Further in the house." As Tolya took another step forward, the floorboards sunk under his feet. Mechanisms deep in the walls clicked as the doors closed quickly, they all rushed to keep them open but it was no use, trapping them in the room. Malakai quickly held her hands out, blasting the doors but they didn't budge. They were completely solid.

"It's impenetrable." Inej announced, running her hand across the door.

Kaz tapped his cane against the wall. "The frames are made of metal."

"They're Durast made." Jesper looked up in realisation.l

Then out of nowhere, more mechanisms began clicking around them. Malakai spun around in a circle, holding her hands out in anticipation for something to happen.

"That does not sound good."

Malakai's brown tightened as she watched a red mist descend down from the walls, slowly filling the air.

"There's something in the air." She bent down to hold her hands against her knees as her throat tightened, coughing harshly, she pulled her cloak over her face.

"This is how we die!" Jesper shouted through his coughs. Ever the optimist.

The Shadow Summoner stood, willing the shadows to move in an attempt to push the mist away. But she fell to her hands and knees on the floor as her vision clouded. Her lungs felt heavy and she could hear her heartbeat in her head. Laying down on the floor she stared up at the ceiling as it faded from her view.

Opening her eyes again, Malakai squinted her eyes at the bright blue sky above her. Sitting up abruptly, she looked around in confusion. She was sitting in a field of long, dry grass, the feeling of the plants itching against the skin of her legs. Looking down at herself, she was wearing a long white dress. Pushing herself up she looked toward the horizon where the sun began to set. Turning warily, she could make out what looked to be a small house in the distance. Smoke billowed from the chimney. It was the only thing for miles and so she approached it slowly, holding her hands out in defence. The grass grazed against her bare feet.

"Where the hell am I?"

The house was quaint, with weather battered walls and paint chipping off the windosills. Plants and mismatched chairs lined the porch. And a pair of tiny yellow rain boots sat messily discarded at the door. Something about it called Malakai home. Entering the already open door, she entered the house into what seemed like a kitchen. Dirty plates sat in the sink and a jug of freshly squeezed orange juice sat on the counter.

"There you are, Kai." Malakai quickly turned to face what looked to be an older version of Kaz, lines set into his face. His cane nowhere to be found. "Where were you?"

She just stared at him in confusion, stumbling over her words. "Um... I was just- I was just outside."

Kaz squinted slightly at her. "Okay... Well I was going to suggest I make pasta for dinner? The little one has been begging for it." He walked around the kitchen, grabbing things from the cabinets.

Malakai watched him carefully, still confused. "Yeah, okay- But um... little one?"

And almost one cue, small footsteps came bounding through the house towards her. In the doorway stood a little boy. Raven hair and honey brown eyes.

"Mummy! Mummy!" The little boy ran up to her, holding his arms out. Like it was instinct, Malakai picked him up and held him on her hip. Her eyes teared up at the sight of him. Half of her and half of the person she loved most. She was a mother. The little boy frowned at her, holding her face in his small hands. "What is it? Why are you crying mummy?"

She laughed, stroking the boy's hair. "I'm just happy to see you." She turned to Kaz who was watching them, leaning against the counter with a smile. "I'm happy to see both of you."

Then another voice came from somewhere in the house that immediately stopped her heart. "Too bad good things don't last." There, in the doorway, stood her father. Kirigan.

"What- What are you doing here? You aren't supposed to be here." She held the little boy closer to her.

"Oh, moya rebe (my daughter). I will always be here. I will be in every waking moment of your life. And this isn't real. This," He threw his hands out as he approached her. "is what you could have had, had you not decided to go against me. You are no god, Malakai. You are no saviour."
He stopped just a step in front of her. "You are just like me. The eternal damnation of the world."

Malakai grit her teeth. "I am nothing like you."

"Aren't you?" Kirigan tilted his head with a smirk. "Then why didn't you save them?"

"Wha—" Malakai gasped as she looked down at her arms where the little boy was just a moment ago, but he was gone. Her hands and arms bloody. Her dress tainted with red. Looking back up, Kirigan was gone too and everything was dark. She was surround by a complete, eternal abyss. Alone. Her breath spiraled in the air as she began to panic. Pacing back and forth she slapped the sides of her head.

"Wake up, Malakai. This isn't real." She muttered to herself. "Wake up."

Malakai shot her eyes open gasping and she was in the antechamber again, bringing her hands up to inspect them. No blood. Her chest felt heavy as she looked around to her friends sprawled across the floor. Then, like a glowing beacon in the night, Wylan's voice echoed through the room.

"Kaz! Tolya! I'm here. Malakai! Anyone?"

The girl groaned as she rolled herself over onto her hands and knees, concentrating on her breathing. "Wylan..."

Through a small hole in the door, Wylan's eyes widened at the sight of the girl who lethargically crawled towards him. "Malakai! You're alive."

She sat up on her knees, signing tiredly to him. Her hands felt heavy, as if weights had been tied to them. "We're dying in here. We've been poisoned. Please help us..."

"Uh..." The boy stammered in thought. "Throwing up? Or hallucinations?"

Malakai waved her hand in front of her face.

"Okay, hallucinations... Um... Is there smoke?"

She nodded slowly. "Some kind of red, orange vapour."

"Okay!" Wylan quickly disappeared before reappearing quickly again, holding a shiny blue butterfly between his fingers. "Take this. Eat it."

Malakai hesitated as she took the butterfly from him, sitting up against the door.

"That might sound strange." He spluttered. "But the poison doesn't kill them, so they might be the antidote."

She nodded, reluctantly placing the butterfly into her mouth and swallowing it, shuddering in disgust. But almost immediately, here breathing evened out and the crushing weight on her body disappeared.

"Wylan," Malakai gasped, pulling herself up to look at him through the hole. "it worked. We need four more."

Taking another one from his hands, Malakai quickly shuffled over to Tolya and gently placed the butterfly into his mouth. "Tolya... come on. Wake up." She gently slapped his face, prompting him to sit up in a panic. "It's okay... It's okay, it was just the poison. It wasn't real. Come quickly, give these to Jesper and Inej. Put it in their mouths."

Malakai took another butterfly from Wylan, quickly moving over Kaz who writhed aggressively on the floor. He was dug in like a tick. Gently, she placed her hands on his shoulders, and put the butterfly into his mouth. "Kaz! Come on. Kaz. I'm here. Please, I'm here." She watched in relief as he slowly blinked his eyes open, taking his face in her hands. "Please forgive me..."

But he didn't react the way she expected, he didn't push away from her in a panic. Instead his eyes softened at the very sight of her. The shake in his body subsided.

"Is everyone alive?" Wylan shouted through the hole.

Malakai stood, helping Kaz to his feet. "We're alive."

Tolya took hold of both her shoulders, looking down at the small girl with sincere and grateful eyes. "I owe you my life."

She shook her head sheepishly. "It was Wylan. He saved us."

Jesper was still doubled over, trying to catch his breath. Drool dripped from his open mouth. "Wylan did?" He wheezed out.

"You're welcome!" Wylan's small voice was muffled by the door.

"We almost died didn't we?" The gunslinger stood up straight, smiling, his eyes still glazed over from the poison. "Same time... I had the most incredible hallucination. Did anyone else get lulled into a comforting sense of joy?"

Malakai turned to Kaz, who was still looking away from them in thought. "I didn't see anything." He muttered, breathing heavily.

The blonde girl, reached forward to squeeze his arm. "Neither did I."

"Alright, what's the plan?"

"You said there was another heartbeat in the house."

Tolya nodded. "Southeast corner. The heartbeat's weak."

"I suspect she built all of this to protect that heart. Along with a different way in to get to it."

Waiting patiently in the eaves of the antechamber, Malakai watched as Ohval walked into the room, looking around at the unconscious bodies around the room. In complete silence, Malakai dropped down behind her, holding her hands out ready to attack. But before she could make a move, the woman's foot collided with her chest, sending her flying into the courtyard. Landing on her back with a crash. Malakai quickly stood, taking the blade from her hip. But with a flick of her wrist, Ohval threw the knife to the side. The woman seemed to float as she leaped over her. The others quickly came to Malakai's aid, standing either side of her, brandishing their weapons. But Ohval was one step ahead once again. Disarming all of them with a twist of her hands and sending their own blades towards them.

"Seriously offside!" Jesper shouted as they all avoided swiftly avoided being stabbed by their own knives.

Malakai raised her hands, the courtyard darkening around them. But Ohval hastily threw a chain from her headpiece at the Shadow Summoner, effectively binding her wrists together tightly. Tolya and Inej stepped forward to engage in hand to hand combat but the Shu woman proved to be gifted at that too, sending the teenagers to the ground.

Then, in quite a dramatic fashion, and explosion sounded and Zoya, Nina and Wylan appeared from the smoke. The Squaller immediately pushing Ohval off her feet and The Heartrender attempted to hold her down.

But stubbornly, Ohval remained standing. "This is taking longer than I'd like. So perhaps we end it." The Grisha of the group all groaned in pain as the woman twisted her hands with a grin. "Fascinating, isn't it? The amount of trace metal there is in the body. Iron, for instance, in the blood."

Then, the doors at the other side of the courtyard opened. Malakai's face contorted into confusion as she watched Kaz wheel an old man in wheelchair out.

"Here she is!" Ohval immediately let go of her hold on the teens as she heard his raspy voice and turned to him slowly. "Sweetheart, we have visitors. Art collectors from Kerch."

Jesper helped Malakai stand as she clutched her chest in pain, ripping the chains from her wrist. She sighed at the relief of the pressure.

"I know, dear. I was just about to offer them tea." The Shu woman's voice was calm now as she approached the old man, eyeing Kaz like a hawk.

"These are the collectors I was telling you about." Kaz spoked to the old man. "They'll be pleasantly surprised to meet you, the great thief of the art world. The Disciple."

The teens, who were still trying to slow their hearts and breathing, stared at the small, innocent old man who sat there, honestly looking like he was just happy to be there. He didn't look like one of the greatest thieves of the modern world. He looked like anyone's grandpa that hands out cookies and yells at you from the porch.

"This is The Disciple?" Jesper pointed at him in disbelief.

"Have we met before?" The Disciple asked Kaz, confusedly.

"Yes, in your room just now. And I've met your wife. In Bhez Ju. We had tea there."

"Bhez Ju Museum. The support beams are under every second section of the floor. The others creak. Important to know the secrets of a place."

Kaz smirked, turning his attention over to Ohval. "Truly."

"If anything happens to him, I will kill you all." She turned to each one of the teenagers.

"All we want is the Neshyenyer." Tolya answered.

"The Neshyenyer?" They all turned their gaze back to The Disciple. "I stole it for her."

"Please, dear." Ohval attempted to stop him.

"It was the last piece I stole before we decided I should retire. Anyway, you couldn't really call it stealing. It was hers to begin with. She made it."

Malakai flicked her eyes between the old man and the Shu woman as she slowly realised what was really going on. Ohval wasn't The Disciple, he was. Ohval was Sankta Neyar. And they were in love.

"I'm sorry. Did you say she made it?"

The old man stood from his seat, taking Neyar's hands into his, looking at her with the utmost adoration. "Hours of work. Prayers. And tears. To fight the unkillable army created by the clock worker Kho."

Tolya chuckled softly in recognition. "Three days and three nights she fought the unstoppable soldiers. And when the last soldier fell, she laid down the weapon. And it was Neshyenyer. Relentless." He sank down to one knee, bowing his head. "We are honoured to be in your presence, Sankta Neyar."

The rest of the crew followed suit, sinking to their knees in their spot. Including Malakai.

Neyar approached the Shadow Summoner, who didn't dare meet her eye. She kept her gaze fixed on her hands folded in her lap. Ohval took her by the elbows, pulling her back up to her feet slowly. She smiled down at the small blonde girl. "Saints do not kneel for other Saints, Sankta Malakai."

A small smile creeped onto Malakai's face as she tilted her head. "You know who I am, Sankta Neyar?"

The older woman laughed quietly, shaking her head incredulously. "Of course I know who you are. Everyone does. And everyone will." She said, before turning back to her husband and leading him back to his chair. "Come, my love. Let's get you to bed. This is our sanctuary. Where we can sleep peacefully. Not have to worry about thieves and bandits like you." She looked Kaz up and down.

"We're not bandits."

"No one gets past the poison. You're just a child, really."

Kaz raised his brow. "A child who understood you weakness."

"Weakness... Four hundred years I've been alive. I've seen them all die. My family. All my loved ones. Taken away from me by time. Hundreds of years I closed my heart, as if that was the solution to ending all pain. What a safe way to live. What a small way, as well. You guard against pain. You guard against joy." Neyar paused to turn her gaze to Malakai. "And you will have to learn that the hard way, Sankta Malakai. But when you allow yourself to be blindsided by love... two worlds make a universe. He's not my weakness. He's my universe. And I will see him through his days. Sharing every moment... until he is part of the night sky."

Kaz and Malakai met each other's eyes, both softening at the idea of spending all of eternity together. But Malakai's heart lurched in pain at the idea of living without Kaz. And Kaz's heart tightened at the idea of living without Malakai. Because, either way, one would have to live without the other at some point. The sky never felt more unwelcoming.

Author's Note

boring asf chapter i know, i'm so sorry. i hated writing this part so much. the next one is so short and boring too. but to make it up to you... i'll publish the rest of the book right after this one in like hour or so increments. so, by the end of today, all of hoax will be published! hold onto your seats. and proceed with the utmost caution.

i hope you're all having a good day/night. if not i hope that this will pass for you soon. this is a safe space. crows take care of one another. reach out.

love from valerie <3

Pokračovat ve čtení

Mohlo by se ti líbit

48K 2.2K 16
"The devil and I get along just fine." (Six Of Crows Duology) Shadow & Bone but somewhat au Jesper Fahey x fem!oc Short Story
467K 20.9K 34
death is my acquaintance i hope life can be my friend -𝗼𝗰𝗲𝗮𝗻𝗻𝗲𝘆𝗲𝘀© (kaz brekker x femOC) (shadow and bone; s1-2) (saints & dawn universe)
71.1K 3.1K 23
𝒊 𝒘𝒂𝒏𝒕 𝒕𝒐 𝒇𝒖𝒄𝒌𝒊𝒏𝒈 𝒕𝒆𝒂𝒓 𝒚𝒐𝒖 𝒂𝒑𝒂𝒓𝒕! kaz brekker x fem!oc grishaverse series #1 in ninazenik #1 in genyasafin #2 in thegrish...
23.7K 706 32
Every coin has two sides. The same can be said for people. Her name is Wysteria Kirigan. A rare type of Grisha. A shadow summoner. After the events...