Indigo Eyes

By ACourtOfStories

I could give you a sob story about how tough Cressida Lynn's life has been, but you're not here for that. You... More

Prologue
Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Chapter 30
Chapter 31
Chapter 32
Chapter 33
Chapter 34
Chapter 35
Chapter 37
Chapter 38
Chapter 39
Chapter 40
Chapter 41
Chapter 42
Chapter 43
Chapter 44
Chapter 45
Chapter 46
Chapter 47
Chapter 48
Chapter 49
Chapter 50
Chapter 51
Chapter 52
Chapter 53
Chapter 54
Chapter 55
Chapter 56
Chapter 57
Chapter 58
Chapter 59
Chapter 60
Chapter 61
Chapter 62
Chapter 63
Chapter 64
Chapter 65
Chapter 66
Chapter 67
Chapter 68
Chapter 69
Chapter 70
Chapter 71
Chapter 72
Chapter 73
Chapter 74
Chapter 75
Chapter 76
Chapter 77
Chapter 78
Chapter 79
Chapter 80
Chapter 81
Chapter 82
Chapter 83
Chapter 84
Chapter 85
Chapter 86
Chapter 87
Chapter 88
Chapter 89
Chapter 90
Chapter 91
Chapter 92
Chapter 93
Chapter 94
Chapter 95
Chapter 96
Chapter 97
Chapter 98
Chapter 99
Chapter 100
Chapter 101
Chapter 102
Chapter 103
Chapter 104
Chapter 105
Chapter 106
Chapter 107
Chapter 108
Chapter 109
Chapter 110
Chapter 111
Chapter 112
Chapter 113
Chapter 114
Chapter 115
Chapter 116
Chapter 117
Chapter 118
Chapter 119
Chapter 120
Chapter 121
Chapter 122
Chapter 123
Chapter 124
Chapter 125
Chapter 126
Chapter 127
Chapter 128
Chapter 129
Chapter 130
Chapter 131
Chapter 132
Chapter 133
Chapter 134
Chapter 135
A/N
The Staff of Hermes

Chapter 36

1.4K 88 16
By ACourtOfStories

Cressida didn't know why she was so nervous as she knocked on the door.

Maybe because this was the first time she was out in the world without an escort and not on a deadly quest. Maybe because she was finally about to meet someone's mother, a mother that by all accounts was amazing and she didn't want to mess it up like the last time she dealt with a mother - her own mother.

"Hi, can I help you?" asked the gorgeous woman with dark curly hair as she opened the door.

"Hi, Mrs Jackson. I'm Percy's friend from camp. He invited me. I'm -"

"Oh, you're that pretty girl that Percy has photos of in his room. Cressida, right?" she beamed, and Cressida offered her a smile.

"That's me."

"Oh, please, come in," she invited as she held the door open, and Cressida walked in.

"Thank you."

"Percy's in his room. The cookies are almost done."

"Thanks, Mrs Jackson."

"Oh, please," she said. "Call me Sally."

And Cressida gave her a warm smile before heading for Percy's room.

Percy was sitting with his back to her on his bed as read through a card, likely from Annabeth who wasn't able to come today. She hadn't really left Thalia's side since she came back.

"Your mom said that you had photos of me in your room. I don't know if I should be flattered or concerned," she said, and Percy flinched.

"Gods, don't sneak up on a person like that!" he exclaimed before he saw who it was. "You came."

"You say that as if it's a surprise," she grinned as walked into his room, swinging a rather big bag in her hand.

"And that wouldn't happen to be a birthday present for me, would it?" he asked with a mischievous grin as she plopped down on the bed next to him.

"Why would you assume that? It could be for your mom."

"But it's not, is it?"

"Happy birthday, Fish Face."

"Gimme," he said like the child he was as he took the bag. And he pulled out a skateboard, the top black and the bottom painted with scenes from the last two summers at camp. "Whoa," he gaped.

"Forged by the sons of Hephaestus. That's a board that won't break," she explained as he ran a hand over the pictures on the back.

"Who painted these? Annabeth? Apollo cabin?"

"Me," she said as if it should've been obvious. "Gave me something to do in arts and crafts."

"Wine Vine, this is seriously cool, but did you have to include me as a guinea pig in there?"

"I'm sorry, have you met me? Of course, I had to include it. But isn't he cute?"

"You think I'm cute?" Percy asked with a raised brow, yet his heart was beating a million times a minute and his stomach was rolling.

"I think the guinea pig is cute. Never said anything about you, Fish Face."

"Whatever helps you sleep at night, Grape Girl," he said, and she shoved his shoulder. "But seriously how'd you know I liked skateboarding? I've never told you that."

"Annabeth mentioned she saw a skateboard with a broken wheel in your room that day she stalked you at the start of summer," she explained and Percy suddenly got even more nervous as he thought about the picture of her that Annabeth saw in his notebook and that bully who turned out to be a giant tried to steal it from him.

"Uh, did Annabeth happen to tell you anything else she saw that day?" he wondered and now it was Cressida's turn to raise a brow.

"Why? Was there something else that she should've told me?"

"Nope," he said immediately.

"Whatever helps you sleep at night," she teased as she nudged him again and they laughed before there was a knock on the door.

"Cookies are done, Percy. And did you offer Cressida some cake?" his mother asked.

"No, he didn't. And after all the praising he sang about your cakes too," she grinned.

"Please come this way, then," Sally invited and Cressida had left Percy in the dust. "How much would you like sweetheart?" she asked as she led Cressida to the kitchen to show her the rectangular cake that was completely blue, the icing, the insides and even the writing.

"As big of a piece as you're willing to give me," she answered, and Sally laughed before cutting off a very healthy slice and giving it to her.

"Thank you," Cressida said eagerly before picking up the fork and taking a bite. "Oh my gods, this is heavenly," she gasped. "This is way better than the stuff they serve at camp."

"Percy mentioned that you're a year-rounder," Sally said and the girl nodded.

"The only family I have are my two brothers and my father. I don't really get out much."

"Well, from what I hear with you constantly saving my son, when you do get out, you are always welcome here," Sally said and Cressida didn't really have the words to describe what those words made her feel.

"Thank you, and, uh, if I'm being honest, your son definitely doesn't make it easy to save his life all the time."

"I resent that," came Percy's voice as he joined them in the kitchen. "And it's not like you make it easy to save you either."

"Um, hello, if we tally it up, I've saved you way more than you've saved me. And half the time, you've had to save me it's because of your stupid plans in the first place. Falling off the St Louis Arch for one."

"What?!" Sally exclaimed and Percy cringed.

"You didn't tell your mother that you made us fall 630 feet?" Cressida asked.

"He told me he blew it up stopping a monster but not that he fell six hundred and thirty feet!" Sally said with a pointed look at her son. "I think you and I should have a nice, long conversation about exactly what your quests entailed, Cressida."

"Gladly," the girl said as she ate more cake.

"Some friend you are," Percy grumbled.

"Within five minutes of meeting your mother, she's fed me the best cake I've ever had in my life and invited me over whenever I'm in town. I think you can tell which Jackson I like better," Cressida said as she shovelled more cake into her mouth.

"I've also got an album of Percy's baby photos if you'd like to see them," Sally offered and Cressida's eyes lit up like a Christmas tree.

"You don't have to ask me twice."

"Mom!" Percy protested. "If you do that, I will never hear the end of it. It's my birthday, please."

"Your birthday or not, I'm still going to see those photos," Cressida said. "And this cake is amazing. Forget giving me nectar every time I tire myself out, one bite of this cake and I'll be good to go."

"I'd be happy to make you one for your birthday, if you'd like," Sally offered and her jaw dropped.

"May Papa bless you. Percy your mom is amazing," Cressida said and Sally chuckled.

"I know," Percy said with a warm smile.

"Mmm," Cressida hummed as she swallowed her next bite of cake. "And by 'papa' I mean my father, Dionysus, and I'm his only daughter so you will definitely be blessed."

"Percy told me you make the best grapes he's ever eaten. So, thank you for at least getting him to eat something healthy," Sally said.

"Yeah, well, he said the same thing when we were floating around the Sea of Monsters for over a day after our ship was blown up," Cressida replied.

"Blown up?"

"Would you shut up and stop ratting me out to my mom?!" Percy stressed to Cressida who just speared the last piece of cake onto her fork.

"If only you could stop doing stupid things that you have to lie to Sally about," she sighed tragically before she dragged the cake off the fork with her teeth. "Do you have any pot plants?" she asked as she put the plate down.

"Sorry?" Sally asked.

"Potted plants. Or even any empty ones," Cressida said.

"Yeah, there are some empty ones on the fire escape by Percy's window. Why?" Sally wandered.

"You'll see," Cressida grinned as she headed back to Percy's room. They followed her as she wedged the window open and climb through it onto the fire escape. They watched as her hand hovered over an empty box of soil that was attached to the railing and a grapevine grew from the dirt, a few bunches of red grapes hanging from it.

"That's incredible," Sally marvelled as Cressida pulled her switchblade from her boot and cut one of the bunches off.

"And now, Percy won't have an excuse not to eat them," she grinned as she tossed them at him. "Because that vine won't die unless I do."

"Tempting," Percy said and his mother smacked his shoulder.

"Perseus Jackson," she scolded.

"Oh, relax, mom. I was joking. Her brothers would destroy me if I hurt her, I don't even want to imagine what they'd do if I killed her," Percy said as he snacked on the grapes.

"Small family, all boys. I'm the youngest and the only girl. They're a bit protective," Cressida explained as she climbed back into Percy's room, and he shut the window behind her.

"That's putting it lightly," Percy said.

"Alright, you two," Sally said as she placed an arm around her son. "How about you save the bickering for after pizza and cookies?"

"Blue pizza and cookies?" Percy asked.

"Is there any other way?" Sally retorted and Percy grinned at his mom before turning back to his friend and he held out his hand.

"Come on, Wine Vine," he invited. "I'll let you pick the movie."  

"You sure that's a smart idea? Camp isn't exactly the most tech-savvy place." 

"Fine. Then I'll introduce you to some of the best movies ever made." 

And Sally saw something that day as her son led his friend into the living room. 

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

1.2M 21.6K 46
A Chaos story. His friends and family, including the gods all betrayed him for his own 'half-brother'. All of them but two. He was told by the ones t...
887K 14K 55
Annabeth Chase is your average junior at Goode High School. She gets straight A's, and you will never find her sitting in detention. Her best friend...
450 23 8
It's been a year after the Giant War, and things are going great for The Seven and friends. But a twist in the middle of summer make things go from h...
38.1K 1.5K 14
"I hear the underworld is just swell this time of year." "Really?" "No." ________________________________________________ (Name) had a lot of questio...