Subject of the Flame | Maze R...

By celestaries

there it was again. hope. VARIABLE SERIES BOOK TWO ↳ minho x fem!oc ↳ the scorch trials au · 。゚☆: *.☽ .* :☆゚... More

FOREWORD
ONE
TWO
THREE
FOUR
FIVE
SIX
SEVEN
EIGHT
NINE
TEN
ELEVEN
TWELVE
THIRTEEN
FIFTEEN
SIXTEEN
SEVENTEEN
EIGHTEEN
NINETEEN
TWENTY
TWENTY-ONE

FOURTEEN

889 39 13
By celestaries

[ ELECTRA ]

When Janson disappeared into thin air, it was as if any hope that Electra had managed to clutch onto vanished with him. She slumped forward, letting out a long breath as the all too familiar feeling of anxiety crept up on her senses. As always, it started small, merely affecting somewhere between her heart and stomach, but it quickly spread through her entire body. It concealed her in a shell of fear. Electra had to step away from the common area before it became worse.

Her feet carried her to the boys' room, although in her state she hadn't noticed. She sat down on the farthest bed, the one nearest to the barred window. She looked out the window to the brick wall and felt suffocated. The wall impeding her vision reminded her of the Maze, and she wasn't sure if that made her feel better or worse.

Different cage, same trap.

Of course WICKED would never let them go. How foolish of her to assume they'd actually been able to escape the Maze. How even more foolish of her to assume that WICKED had no further plans for them after the Maze Trial. Everything in her remembered life had been calculated; it had been planned. Even their suspicions of the new facility and their attempted escape.

Now, WICKED had injected them with a deadly virus. The Flare. None of them were Immune, and if they didn't submit to the next Trial they would all slowly go insane. Why would WICKED be testing them if they weren't Immune? If they had a cure for the Flare, then what were the Trials even for? What would the effects of the Flare feel like? Would death be better or worse than losing grip on your mind? Electra decided that slowly descending into madness would be far more painful than any type of death.

Also, what did Janson say? That all the Variables they'd faced had been meticulously thought out? Electra's tattoo began to itch. She was called the Variable. Was she worth no more than a Griever? Could they control her as they did the monsters? They'd controlled her before, and Electra shook her head to avoid the memory of saving Newt's life. But, the fact that they did it once meant they could again. And if she wasn't a normal subject but a variable, what was stopping them from doing it again?

Was she just another variable? Was she just another monster?

Tomorrow, Phase Two of Part Two started, whatever that meant. Electra's mind carried her to Minho first, like it always did. His tattoo said he was the leader, and she worried because she knew he would take the nickname seriously. She wanted to try to convince him to stray away from leading; she wanted him to focus on surviving, but she knew her attempts would be futile. Minho was better than her in that sense. His heart would convince him to lead the Gladers to safety and, if any of them died, he would feel it on his conscience as if it was entirely his fault. She didn't want him to be the leader. She just wanted him to survive.

Electra's worry carried over to Thomas. While the rest of the Gladers held a degree of animosity toward her, Thomas never seemed to. Would she consider him a friend? She wasn't sure. However, she did know that if her life was on the line he would risk his life to save her. Electra decided at that moment to repay the same selflessness to him. Friend or not, she didn't want to see him die.

What about Newt? The question startled her, and Electra looked away from the window to see the blond boy laying down on a bunk across the room. His hands sat beneath his head, and Newt looked up at the ceiling in silence. Would she risk her life to save him? No, she wouldn't. Newt had been nothing but rude to her, so why would she put her life on the line for his? He didn't like her, and she felt the same for him. Still, she couldn't ignore the tiniest scrap of worry in the back of her mind when she thought of him in danger.

As if Newt could sense her thoughts, he shifted his glance from the ceiling to her. Neither spoke, but Electra could sense something lingering in the air. What exactly it could be, she wasn't sure. She didn't feel capable enough to distinguish the subjectivities of emotions.

"C'mon. Let's go find Tommy and Minho," Newt said, and he climbed out of bed. He looked back at her, waiting for her to follow.

Electra studied his body language for a few moments before taking one last glance at the brick wall and following Newt to the other room.

✰✰✰

[ MINHO ]

"What're you two hiding for?"

Thomas and Minho were standing near the bathroom at the back of Electra and Aris' room when Newt came in with Electra closely behind him.

Minho slapped Thomas on the shoulder. "We're not hiding. Thomas is just whining about his life and wishing he could go back to his mommy."

Electra sat on her bed while Newt crossed his arms. Neither seemed amused.

"Tommy," Newt said. "You went through the Changing, got some of your memories back. How much of this stuff do you remember?"

Electra perked up at the mention of memories. Minho had almost forgotten Thomas had at least some memories. He'd also forgotten how Thomas used to work the WICKED. To him, at least, Thomas was the same as all the other Gladers.

"I don't know," Thomas said, frowning. "I can't really picture the actual world outside or what it was like being involved with the people I helped design the Maze. Most of it's either faded again or just gone. I've had a couple of weird dreams, but nothing that helps."

Minho hadn't had any weird dreams and he was thankful for it. Sleep, to him, was usually just a quick closing of the eyes and then he was awake again. He'd never been one for dreams. Minho noticed a hint of recognition on Electra's face, but it was barely distinguishable.

Newt sighed in disappointment, "Well, we've got stuff to figure out. I was thinking we need to get organized, get things back together. Act like we did in the bloody Glade. Last few days have been miserable, everybody moaning and groaning, no structure, no plan. It's driving me psycho."

"Good that. Are people still chowing down out there?" Thomas asked.

Newt shook his head. "No, Frypan took charge. That shank's religious about food. I think he was glad to have something to be the boss about again. But I'm scared people might get panicky and try to eat it anyway."

"Oh, come on," Minho said. "Those of us who made it this far are here for a reason. All the idiots are dead by now."

"Whatever. All I'm saying, things are obviously going to change tomorrow and we gotta be ready to face it."

An awkward silence fell onto the room. Minho's head was empty, and he stared blankly at Newt. "What are you getting at?"

"We need to be sure we have a solid leader when tomorrow comes. There can't be any doubt who's in charge."

Minho caught Electra slowly shaking her head in the distance and he finally caught on.

"That's the lamest thing you've ever barked," Minho said. "You're the leader, and you know it. We all know it."

"Being hungry make you forget the bloody tattoos? You think they're just decorations?"

"Oh, come on," Minho shook his head. "You really think it means anything? They're just playing with our heads!"

Newt reached over and pulled the back of Minho's collar down, revealing the messy tattoo scrawled on his back. Minho looked over at Electra who was now nodding her head at him as if trying to encourage him. He couldn't understand the role he was being thrust into. He didn't want it.

But, he'd been branded. WICKED called him the leader, so he had to comply.

Minho shrugged Newt's hand off him. "Fine, whatever. Just don't come crying to me if we all fail miserably."

"That's the spirit." Newt slapped Minho on the back.

The rest of their evening was spent making preparations. Some of the food had come in plastic bags, so Minho instructed the Gladers to empty the bags and use them as water canteens. He knew they wouldn't last very long in the elements, but it was the best thing anyone could come up with. They also made packs out of the bedsheets, filling them with food and extra clothes. The bedsheets would be a hassle to carry around, but it would be better than facing the elements without any resources.

That night, all of the Gladers decided to sleep in the same dorm. All except Electra, who isolated herself away in the smaller dorm room. Minho guessed the close quarters of the bigger dorm reminded the Gladers of the Maze. That, or the Gladers disliked Electra to the point of not wanting to sleep in the same room as her. Or perhaps they felt weird sleeping in the same room as a girl. No matter the reason, Minho didn't want her to be alone so he followed her into the room and took the bunk directly across from hers.

The two sat there in silence for a few long moments, neither of them trying to sleep but neither of them starting a conversation either. What was there to say? That they were scared of what was coming up? They both already knew that.

Minho looked over at her and debated going over. He decided not to, as her arms were crossed in front of her chest. However, when she looked over and met his gaze, she motioned for him to join her. Minho got up and slipped into her bed. Both of them lay on their backs, looking aimlessly up and the bunk on top of them.

Again, he didn't know what to say but knew he had to say something, so he blurted out the first question that came to his mind.

"How are you feeling?"

Electra shrugged, and as she did their fingers brushed one another. "I don't know. Is shitty a good answer?"

Minho found it in him to smile. "Shitty is a great answer, actually."

Electra didn't reply, and Minho's smile slid off his face. His best friend was usually the quieter of the two, but this silence felt different. Something was on her mind, he could tell. He assumed it was the weight of the next Trial on her mind. It weighed on all the Gladers and threatened to crush them.

A part of Minho knew that Electra would be alright. She had to be. She was the strongest of all the Gladers. Her three years in the Maze had trained her for this next Trial. After fighting Grievers, he knew she would be able to fight Cranks or whatever test WICKED put in their way. She was Electra, and Electra would always find a way to survive.

"You'll be alright, you know," Minho said, being careful not to touch her. "This new Trial can't be any worse than the Maze, and this time we have our memories. We have our experiences in the Maze to help guide us."

Electra didn't look convinced. Actually, she looked worse than convinced if that was even possible. She cringed as her gaze lingered on the bottom of the top bunk. Okay, maybe her survival wasn't what was on her mind. Again, she was Electra, and with Electra one could never really tell what was wrong.

In times like these, Minho knew it was best to sit back and wait for her to speak. Usually, in the Maze she would come out with whatever was bothering her within a few days, they would speak of it, then that would be the end of it. But this time, with the lingering Trial looming over their heads, they didn't have the luxury of a few days. Tomorrow, the Trial would start, so they needed to say everything they could tonight.

Electra knew time was running short. So, after a few long minutes of silence, Electra finally spoke. Minho had to lean in to hear her.

"Janson said all of the Variables were meticulously thought out... and... well, my nickname is the Variable." Electra's voice was small, barely even a whisper. "What if they make me turn against you somehow? Like they did to Gally."

Minho shook his head. "Gally was out of his mind. They won't do that to you."

"How do you know that?"

Minho turned to look at her, but Electra refused to meet his eye. His gaze travelled to her hair, which encircled her head like a halo. He remembered seeing her for the first time after their escape from the Maze, and how her curls had been defined and the hope on her face made her beautiful. Her beauty was still there, but it was shrouded in fear and anxiety. Her hair was becoming knotted and frizzy, and hope had been replaced by anguish.

How did he know that WICKED wouldn't turn her against them? He didn't. Obviously, based on recent events, Minho had no idea what WICKED was capable of. They'd been able to control Gally, so why would Electra be any different? Why would any of the Gladers be different? They were at full disposal of WICKED, and Minho would be an idiot to ignore that.

"I guess I don't know that," Minho said, and Electra's lips fell into a frown. "But, if you do turn against us I'll know it wasn't you. It wasn't real."

Minho knew he wasn't being very consoling, but also knew that Electra was the type to appreciate honesty over comfort. Still, he wished he had the ability to pluck them both out of this situation and put them somewhere away from all of this. Somewhere safe, and beautiful, where they could live peacefully without fear of sickness, death, violence, or WICKED.

"Hey, Minho?"

"Yeah?"

"If they make me turn against you and I'm putting your life in danger..." Electra took in a deep breath before letting out a trembling whisper. "Don't hesitate to kill me."

"It won't get to that point–"

"But if it does." Electra finally looked deeply into his eyes. "Please, can you promise me?"

He knew he wouldn't be able to kill her. No matter the situation. No matter the reason. He would sooner die than have to be the one to end her life. But, the way she looked at him. The way tears pooled at the bottom of her eyes, pleading for him to agree. He couldn't kill her, but he also couldn't say no to her.

"I promise," Minho said, and Electra gave him the smallest of smiles.

There it was. Deep in the specks of light in her brown eyes, there was a glimmer of hope. If only hope that she wouldn't cause more damage than she already had. Minho fought the guilt creeping up that her hope had been built on a lie. He could never kill her.

At that moment, he wished he could kiss her. He hated that he couldn't kiss her, especially now that tonight could be their last night together for all they knew. He'd kissed her once, back in the Maze after he was certain he'd almost lost her, but he knew it'd been a mistake. He promised to never do it again but the desire never left. It was an ache in the back of his mind, an ever-present tug on his heartstrings, an omnipresent yearning for something he knew wasn't his.

They were just friends and he would do anything to protect that bond. So, he usually concealed the desire deep down. But now that they were sitting so close and so alone, with enchanting hope glimmering in her eyes and possible death luring on the horizon, Minho knew he needed to create some physical space between the two of them before he did something he would regret.

Electra studied his stare for a few moments, and Minho felt exposed. Her eyes travelled from his gaze, down to his lips, then back to his eyes before she spoke so quietly he was unsure if he heard her correctly at first.

"Can you kiss me?"

Minho furrowed his brows, trying to understand what she'd asked of him. Didn't she want to remain just friends? "Are you sure?"

Electra nodded. "Yes. Are you sure?"

When Electra smiled, butterflies swarmed in Minho's stomach. He carefully brushed a strand of hair behind her ear, before cupping her cheek. Electra nuzzled into his hand.

He looked into her eyes and focused on the fragments of hope within them. "More than anything."

Minho tentatively placed his lips on hers and warmth seeped from his heart. He was unsure, and his touch was light as if fearing she would vanish from his grasp. What would happen to him if something happened to her? The fear of the upcoming unknown boggled his mind but he focused on the sparks coming from her, along with the comfort trickling from the deepest parts of her heart into his.

Electra pulled away, and her nose trailed down his cheek as she lowered her head. "We shouldn't be doing this."

Minho felt her breath on his neck. "Do you want to stop?"

Electra looked back up at him. There it was again. Hope. "No."

This time Electra leaned in, briefly brushing her lips across his before pulling him closer. As their lips connected, the world melted away. No tests, no Trials, no Cranks, no death, no fear. It was just him, Electra, and the mystifying space in between them. Her hand ran through his hair and he deepened the kiss.

The energy pulsating around them was different. The warmth from before was now a fiery explosion. Minho felt it creep into his heart, imploding within his soul and electrifying his veins. His hand trailed from her shoulder down to her waist where he pulled her in closer. The kiss was fueled by hope, and Minho desperately latched onto it. He hoped the feeling would never leave him, but he hoped even more that it would never leave her. Electra deserved hope. She deserved so much more.

When they finally pulled away, Electra rested her head on Minho's chest. He ran a hand through her hair before remembering the aftermath of their first kiss back in the Maze. He let out a chuckle.

Electra lifted her head to look at him. "What?"

"You're not gonna ask about Newt again, are you?"

He remembered when she'd asked about him mere seconds after their first kiss, but he more so remembered how her cheeks had cutely heated up in embarrassment when he'd given her a pointed look about it.

He watched recollection dawn on Electra's face before she playfully nudged him. "Shut up, Minho."

She gave him a quick peck on the cheek before nuzzling herself against his chest once more. It didn't take her long to fall asleep, and Minho's heart filled with warmth as a smile crossed his face. Her rhythmic breathing was soothing, and it motivated him to face the upcoming terrors, whatever they may be.

He thought fiercely that he would protect her no matter the cost. He would fight Cranks, Variables, and even WICKED itself to keep her safe. She had to survive the Trial. She deserved a chance at life.

Minho looked at his digital watch, ensuring the alarm was set for five in the morning. Tomorrow, the Scorch Trials would begin and Electra would survive. Minho would make sure of it.

A/N: YAAAAALL OMG !!!! THEY FINALLY KISSED AGAIN HAHA !! i actually love this chapter tbh i think it's one of the best chapters i've written in a while! if u want to go back and read their first kiss it is in chapter 14 of 'shadow of the maze' !

but y'all reading PLZ LET ME KNOW WHAT U THINK !!!! i love when u guys comment it seriously makes my day!! <3 so yayaya see y'all next week when the scorch trials officially begin !

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

89.7K 2.9K 24
❝ Promise me this If I lose to myself You won't mourn a day And move on to someone else ❞ COMPLETED. ❨ Book 3/3 ❩ Everything is comi...
312K 7.3K 23
'Sometimes it is the silent observer who sees the most.' || Maze Runner || || Scorch Trials - The Death Cure || || Newt x oc || || COMPLETED ||
216K 3.9K 44
Fem!ReaderxNewt Imagines, including requests, AUs and crossovers. As of Saturday 9th of January 2021, Requests are closed! Slow updates with no updat...
4.4K 146 17
❝they'll never stop looking for us. test subjects is all we are and all we ever will be to those people.❞ MAZE RUNNER: THE SCORCH TRIALS book two of...