Purple Flame

By LoveBhabie

Born in the water tribe by two nonmembers, Kya and Hakoda, Hai was off to a horrible start. The middle child... More

1
2
3
4
5
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24

6

1.4K 32 1
By LoveBhabie

"We haven't been able to pick up the Avatar's trail since the storm, but if we continue heading northeast ..." A larger Fire Nation ship pulls up next to theirs.

"What do they want?"

"Perhaps, a sporting game of Pai Sho!" Iroh said causing me to laugh. A messenger from the other ship enters Zuko's ship, followed by two soldiers. He presents a wanted poster with an illustration of Aang and his glider. Zuko observes with his arms crossed.

"The hunt for the Avatar has been given prime importance. All information regarding the Avatar must be reported directly to Admiral Zhao." The messenger said. Then turned to me. "It's also been announced, Princess Hai, your return to the Fire Nation is to happen by end of week."

"Zhao has been promoted? Well, good for him!" As Iroh makes a move in his Pai Sho game, another player slaps his hand against his own forehead as if he lost. I frowned and shook my head.

"I will not be returning. My husband is here and it is customary for a wife to remain by her husband, especially during banishment." Zuko looked at me.

"I've got nothing to report to Zhao. Now get off my ship and let us pass."

"Admiral Zhao is not allowing ships in or out of this area. Princess Hai you are to return to the fire nation by the fire lords command." I frowned.

"I will not be. You may inform the Fire Lord of my decision to stay beside Prince Zuko. If I am to be forced to leave I promise I won't hold back and will stand my ground." The messenger nodded slightly.

"Off my ship!" The messenger and the soldiers leave immediately.

"Excellent! I take the pot!" Iroh exclaimed as he won, a crew member punches himself. "But you're all improving! I'm certain you will win if we play again."

"Prince Zuko, that command didn't come from the Fire Lord." I said looking at him. "Zhao is intending to take me from you as payback for his defeat."

"He won't touch you." Zuko said calmly. "I'm sending you with the avatar and his friends once I find him." He said looking down at me. "I would like to keep you away from Zhao."

"Sending me with the avatar. What is it you want me to do?"

"Be safe."

"Something's wrong." I said. "Is this about the storm?"

"Your sister saved you. I may have pulled you from the water but you weren't breathing. The girl moved the water from your lungs."

"You want me to go with them, for how long?"

"Trust me. I'll see you again." He said before walking away.

"Iroh, may I play you?" I said softly. He smiled and nodded. I sat on my knees in front of him. "It's been awhile, I might be confused for a moment so first game is just warmup."

"Of course. As you are the challenger, I will make the first move."

Moments later I had not only won the warm up but three games after. I knew I had shocked not only the crew but Iroh. His eyes had never looked away from a single move.

"Princess, I am impressed. Where did you learn to play?"

"Watching you, General Iroh." He gave a heart laugh. "Could we play in private?"

"Of course." He said before dismissing everyone. The table now clear. Before he could say anything I placed the lotus tile in the middle.

"I see you favor the white lotus gambit. Not many still cling to the ancient ways." He cups his hands towards me.

"Those who do can always find a friend." I copy the gesture, also cupping my hands toward him.

"Then let us play." Iroh places a tile on the board, quickly followed by a tile placed by me. Seemingly without even looking at what the other person is doing, the two of us quickly place our tiles on the board. When we are done, our tiles form the shape of a lotus flower.

"Welcome, sister. The White Lotus opens wide to those who know her secrets." I knock on the floor and smiled. "Who knocks at the guarded gate‌?"

"One who has eaten the fruit and tasted its mysteries." We bowed our heads to each other then looked at each other.

"Now if I'm not mistaken, this was only taught to you when you decided to protect both the Prince as well as the people of the four nations."

"I will remain doing that, I believe there's a trick in Zhao's sleeves that require a precise amount of moves in order to defeat him and keep the people safe."

"Should we take this somewhere more private?" I nodded and then we both picked up the tiles and slid them into his bag. I followed him into the private meeting area where, once it was cleared, he locked the door.

"The Avatar is headed north, to the North Pole. He is looking for a water bending teacher." I started. "Zhao was one of the last few people to apparently visit Won Shi Tong's Library. I believe he knows where the Avatars headed and I believe it'll become a battle in the north."

"Go on."

"I only know this because when he put me in that tent so you three could talk I had done some searching. He had a plan called the Siege of the North."

"What did it consist of?"

"A circled map of the northern tribe. As well as the yin and Yang sign." I paused. "The balance will be altered and with what the Prince has decided I won't be able to help stop it. I'll be with the Avatar but from then on I wont be able to bend freely. People will try to kill me if I do so."

"In other words, Princess, this is now my mission. Protect the water tribe, betraying my nation."

"We must do anything in our power to keep the world in balance."

*time skip/ 3rd POV*

The gate is opened and the Blue Spirit backs out with his captives, swords still at his throat.

"How could you let them go?" Shinu, one of Zhao's men questioned.

"A situation like this requires ... precision." The Blue Spirit continues backing away from the fortress. Zhao now looks on from the top of the main gate. "Do you have a clear shot?" A Yuyan Archer, who is silent, but aims. "Knock out the thief. I'll deliver him to the Fire Lord along with the Avatar."

The archer releases his arrow, its impact was on the Blue Spirits masks. Aang and the Blue Spirit as the masked man collapses backward in slow motion. Aang turns in horror, his eyes glazed. He recovers, turns around and airbends up a huge cloud of dust around him and the Blue Spirit.

Aang removes the Blue Spirit's mask to reveal Zuko. Aang starts back in horror and falls backward on the ground. He jumps up and runs away, but turns to look at Zuko, his eyes huge and full of compassion. He sees the Fire Nation soldiers getting close through the smoke.

Still, he hesitates. When the dust clears, however, the soldiers find nothing.

It is morning. Aang is sitting on a nearby root. He looks forlorn. Zuko, looks a bit dazed still.

"You know what the worst part of being born over a hundred years ago is? I miss all the friends I used to hang out with. Before the war started, I used to always visit my friend Kuzon. The two of us, we'd get in and out of so much trouble together. He was one of the best friends I ever had, and he was from the Fire Nation, just like you. If we knew each other back then, do you think we could have been friends, too?" Zuko lying on the ground, Aang next to him, perched a large tree root.

After a pause, Zuko lets loose a huge fireball at him, but Aang dodges and flies away on a current of air. Zuko watches him hop away from tree branch to tree branch

"Wait Avatar!" Zuko said, loud enough. The avatar paused and looked down. "I need a favor. I need you to protect her."

"If I help you, will you stop hunting me for a little while?"

"I will but I can't promise anyone else will."

"Meet me in this exact place in an hour." Aang said before jumping out of sight.

Back on Zuko's ship reeling in the cutter vessel back into the mother ship. Zuko, sullen, walking past his Uncle on the main deck.

"Where have you been, Prince Zuko? You missed music night! Lieutenant Jee sang a stirring love song. And Princess Hai was dancing and singing old water tribe songs."

"I'm going to bed. No disturbances." Iroh rubs his head and begins to blow his horn again.

*Hai's POV*

"Zuko, what if he doesn't show?" I said quietly, he sighed and leaned down and left a small kiss on my forehead.

"The avatar is the one person who will keep you out of Zhao's grasp."

"But I'll be away from you."

"Not for long." He mumbled. I noticed an orange and yellow blur jumping through the trees before landing in front of us.

"Hai." Aang said. I tighten my hand on my bag and looked at Aang's outstretched hand. I looked at Zuko again.

"I'll see you soon." Was all he said before he turned away from me. I grabbed his hand and pulled him back hugging him tightly.

"Promise?" I whispered. He grunted before looking down at me. He nodded. "I love you Prince Zuko." I whispered softly. His eyes widened and I crept onto my top toes leaving a soft kiss on the corner of his mouth.

"Keep her safe." He said to Aang as I moved away from him.

"I will. Don't worry." I took Aang's hand and felt myself being scooped up into his arms. He then jumped using his bending through the trees and back to his group of water tribe siblings.

"Hai?" Sokka said looking up at me as I was sat onto my feet.

"Hi Sokka, Katara."

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

94.1K 1.9K 19
You're the daughter of the beifong's and sister to toph. When toph was born your parents put you in training to protect her but as she grew up, you k...
110K 2.4K 25
Aida arrived as a young child to the South Pole Water Tribes after a Fire Nation raid. Left alone when everyone had left, a kind old lady decided to...
45.6K 2K 61
What if there was someone else who could bend all four elements? Someone who was meant to help the Avatar? Meet Naya- born to a mother from the Sout...
68.3K 1.1K 41
| zuko {a:tla} 1 water & fire don't usually mix but maybe this time it does - in which the daughter of a water tribe general is taken by the prince...