The King of Roses ✔️

By unconsentingsoul

"You're annoying. You're a nuisance. How could I ever be obsessed with you?" I asked. Philip's hand began to... More

Chapter One
Chapter Two
Chapter Three
Chapter Five
Chapter Six
Chapter Seven
Chapter Eight
Chapter Nine
Chapter Ten
Chapter Eleven
Chapter Twelve
Chapter Thirteen
Chapter Fourteen
Chapter Fifteen
Chapter Sixteen
Chapter Seventeen
Chapter Eighteen
Chapter Nineteen

Chapter Four

2.5K 62 6
By unconsentingsoul

PHILIP

I sighed a breath of relief as I watched the royal car drive up the street and back towards the castle. I quickly walked back into my shop and collapsed on the floor catching my breath. I still can’t believe that I was almost caught. I did have to defile myself by throwing dirt at the king, but it was worth it. 

There was a pause currently as I layed on the floor, reliving every second that the king was here. My body had ignored my overwhelming feeling of anxiety and stress. 

The doorbell rang, meaning someone was walking in. I turned and saw an older man with salt-pepper hair and a short-shaved beard. His attire was similar to an old pub keeper. It was Belden, the man who owned the pub next door and was the one that warned me of King Alaric. 

“What is it? Are you being closed down? Arrested? Oh God! Executed?!” Belden asked.

“No…” I said in a soft voice. “I’m not in any trouble.” I said.

“Oh good! We thought we were going to have to arrange your funeral flowers this time.” He chuckled.

“I threw dirt on the king.” I said.

Belden gasped. “And you still have your hands! Sheesh! Either Lady Luck is on your side or he’s in love with you.” He said.

“Ha ha, very funny.” I stood up and began walking to the break room.

“I’m just saying. King Alaric is a bit of a prude. He banned roses and doesn’t care about the implications for other families. Had you been anyone, no doubt you’d be at the gallows right this second.” Belden said.

“Nonsense. I don’t know why I haven’t been arrested. But I’m not wasting my luck.” I opened the back door to the greenhouse where the king had been earlier. I quickly raced over to where the king had bent down.

“Still, I’m kind of a romantic. I’ll be rooting for you two!” Belden said from behind me.

When I looked down, I saw what the king had been looking at. A single red rose petal. It was being squished by the piece of wood I had placed as a make-shift wall. It does seem weird as to why a petal would be here in all places. Had he gotten a closer look, no doubt would have he found the roses behind the wall.

“Is it really a good idea to sell illegal goods?” Belden asked, standing next to me.

“They’re just flowers. Why should they be placed in the same category as cocaine or assault rifles? Of course I’m going to keep selling them.” I responded.

“Mmm okay. But if you get shut down, it's all for nothing for your grandparents’ and mom’s legacy.” He replied.

“Nah! My ancestors would be proud of me. Our mission is to spread these beauties for the world to see. So even if I get shut down, I did it with good intentions.” I said.

“I suppose that sounds reasonable.” 

I sighed as I removed the wall and saw the roses behind. I went about watering them and caring for them. In the meantime, there were customers who came by and asked for the roses. Maybe I should come up with a code for the roses. It’s too risky to just say ‘Can I have a dozen roses?’. 

When closing time came, I quickly rushed home where I changed into a night outfit. Tonight, we’re drinking.

“Hey, Phil! Over here!” Chloe called out to me. I quickly raced over to her and Louis as they stood in front of the bar.

“Finally, Phil. They won’t let us in unless you aren’t here.” Louis said. 

“I am friends with the owner. Of course only I’m given special privileges.” I replied. I showed the bouncer my special VIP car and my friends and I were let in. Louis left for the bar while Chloe and I stood side by side near a booth.

“Is it true?” She asked.

“Hmm?” I asked her. She brushed her brown hair out of the way and leaned into my ear.

“That the king came to your shop? People are wondering if you’re getting arrested or something.” She said.

“It was luck that I’m not.” I replied.

“And you threw dirt on him?! Wow! You’ve got balls, Phil.” She said. I chuckled and patted her shoulder. “So now that you’ve met the king, how is he? Is he really an evil person?” She asked.

“You know what? Yeah! He is! King Alaric is a bitch! I saw first hand how obnoxious he is. Thank God I threw compost on him. Fucker deserved it.” I said.

“Shhh! Lower your voice, Phil! Who knows who might be listening.” Chloe said. 

“Ha! As if the king would actually send someone to follow a plebeian like me.” Louis walked over to us with beers in his hand and handed one to each of us. 

“Alaric has a high ego. He would waste resources just to see how people talk about him. I’d watch your back. He already visited you earlier today.” She said.

“But I think I’m on good terms with the former queen. She bought a plant off me.” I said.

“Yeah, that’s true. But she doesn’t have absolute power anymore. Not since Alaric took the throne.” Chloe told me.

I opened my beer and took a swing at it. “He’ll listen to his mom. I bet he’s a momma’s boy.” I chuckled.

A few beers in and I could feel the buzz hitting me. I turned to Louis as he sat on his seat with his black hair messy and the top button of his shirt unbuttoned. 

“L-Loius…” I sloppily called him. He turned over to me and looked me in the eye.

“Yes, Phil?” He asked. 

“You’re so cute. Do you have a girlfriend? Or boyfriend?” I asked him. 

“Not interested. You’re drunk, Phil. I’ll go get you some water.” He stood up and began walking to the bar. 

“Aw fuck! Look at that ass!” I told Chloe as we stared at Louis’ beautiful ass. “He can’t possibly not let that get fucked!” I groaned out.

“Phil. Stop talking! My head hurts.” Chloe slammed her head on the table while I tried to comfort her. Louis eventually came back and handed me a glass of water.

“Drink up, mate. You look like a hot mess.” He said. 

“You said I’m hot! Ha! You do like me!” 

“That’s not what it means.” Louis looked annoyed. 

I drank the whole glass of water and then felt my phone ringing. I pulled out my phone and saw it was from an unrecognizable number.

“Uhh, guys! Who is this?” I asked. Both Louis and Chloe looked at my phone and then their eyes bulged out of their sockets.

“Phil! Look at the first two numbers! That’s from a royal phone! Answer it!” Louis told me.

“But it’s 21:30! Who would be calling that time!” I groaned. 

“Just answer it!” Louis kept telling me. I agreed and then put my phone next to my ear but Louis forced me to put it on speaker.

“Yellow!” I said. I saw Chloe roll her eyes.

“Is this Philip Bellerose?” A voice said.

“That is I!” I drunkenly said.

“Please hold for the Queen.” The voice said. I heard a click then a voice on the other line.

“Philip!” The former queen said. 

“Oh, hi, you highness! Uh, what… what can I do for me- you! What can I do for you!” I felt myself become humiliated. Who answers the queen while being drunk?

“I’ll cut right to the chase. Our gardener is taking some time off because he inhaled some toxic fumes. Our plants have been in dire conditions. After seeing your shop earlier, I wanted to ask if you’d be willing to come over and utilize that green thumb of yours.” The queen said.

“Become the gardener for the royal family?” I asked. I turned to Chloe and then to Louis who both had shocked looks on their faces. 

“You’ll get paid handsomely and we’ll compensate for all your materials.” The queen added.

“But, your highness, the King! Do I have to be around him!?” I asked.

“I’ll keep Alaric out of the way. But if you provoke him, I can’t do anything about that.” The queen said.

“Yeah! I’ll do it!” I said. 

“Excellent. I’ll set up a few contracts and legal shenanigans and we’ll start work.”

“Right! It sounds like a blast!” I eagerly said.

“Are you drunk, Philip?” The queen asked.

“Uh, no…”

“Get some sleep. We’ll talk tomorrow.” The queen said. Before I could say bye, she hung up.

“Oh my gosh! The queen just hired you!” Chloe said.

“Hmm? What happened?” Louis asked. 

“I’ll tell you tomorrow.” Chloe said. “But Phil, who’s going to look after your shop? None of us are good with plants. Louis’ succulent literally dried up under his watch. And they’re meant to survive droughts!” She expressed her concern.

“Calm down you two! Look, I have a cousin in Denmark that is also in the plant business. I’ll just call him over and let him run my shop.” I explained.

Both Chloe and Louis took a second to take that in. 

“Ohhhh! Bram! I miss him!” Louis said.

“Bram! I haven’t seen him since ate that poison ivy leaf!” Chloe said. 

“I think I should get home. I have a big day tomorrow.” I said and began to get up from my seat. 

“Wait!” Chloe said. I turned and saw her trying to also get up but stumbling. “Can- Can you take me too! I think I’m drunk.” She muttered.

“You ARE drunk, Chlo.” Louis snarkily replied. 

I rolled my eyes and helped them both get up. Once outside, I got a taxi for them and shoved them in and told the driver where to take them. 

“Hey, Phil…” Louis drunkenly said. I leaned in as he rubbed my face with his palm. “Don’tchu worry, my ass ain’t a virgin.” He said. Chloe cheered upon hearing that. 

The driver just wanted to get these two home.

“That’s good to hear.” I said. I closed the car door and let the taxi go on its way while I began to walk home and try to get a good night’s rest.

Because soon, I’ll be part of the royal family. Or, I guess their staff.

------

woooo! first four chapters down! new chapters every friday!

thx for reading! until next time!

<3

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

55.2K 3K 27
Another BIBLEBUILD FANFICTION Manxman/ BoyxBoy Thank you for coming into my life and changing it for the better. . ---------------⬇️sneak peek⬇️...
Mine By Kate

Romance

280K 7.1K 65
" what's wrong," he asked, fucking tears, now I have to answer him " nothing I'm fine," I said he scoffed " I didn't ask are you okay but obviously y...
48.3K 3.5K 49
General Sevei is of the firm opinion that Nobles are shady and Alchemists even shadier. Noble Alchemists are the absolute worst. He is not looking fo...
1K 36 12
I was used to the quiet. The isolated life I had made for myself felt safe away from the greed and carnage the world left behind. The apocalypse wasn...