๐ฌ๐ข๐ฅ๐ž๐ง๐ญ ๐œ๐ซ๐ฒ, var!gens...

By -wwanderlust

[genshin!var x isekai!gn!reader] ๐€ ๐‡๐„๐€๐‘๐“ ๐…๐”๐‹๐‹ ๐Ž๐… ๐’๐“๐€๐‘๐‹๐„๐’๐’ ๐„๐Œ๐๐“๐ˆ๐๐„๐’๐’. ๐ˆ๐ ๐–๐‡๐ˆ... More

a new life
love interests; part 1
love interests; part 2
playlist
prologue
act one
chapter one
chapter three
chapter four
chapter five
chapter six
chapter seven
chapter eight
act two
chapter one
chapter two
chapter three
chapter four
chapter five
chapter six
act three
chapter one
chapter two
chapter three

chapter two

6K 315 361
By -wwanderlust

━━☽⋆° ✧⋆°━━

┏━━✦❘༻༺❘✦━━┓
chapter two;
the dust, the earth and
the moon.
┗━━✦❘༻༺❘✦━━┛

❝ as the wind continues to blow, so too shall i continue to fight. ❞

━━☽⋆° ✧⋆°━━

Days continued to pass by. The repetition of Y/N's schedule never bored them. They always found ways to make each day slightly different, but still stay on track. It was slightly different now that they had finished repairing the house, which they replaced with building some necessary things like wooden utensils that they could use to eat with, instead of their hands.

Moreover, after Y/N had learned that specific six-attack rotation, they started learning more moves. Sometimes even mixing attacks up in case they had to change their fighting style. They had even started making sure to incorporate some type of flexibility training, knowing flexibility would help a lot with a weapon like a polearm.

Aside from that, the fact that they were actually in Genshin Impact was starting to hit the h/c haired. One night, they couldn't fall asleep, no matter how tired they were (obviously the day after, they allowed themselves a full day break, they deserved it) and it hit them. Occasionally, the earth would rumble like it had the first day, and Y/N knew it was Rex Lapis taking down enemies.

The weird thing was, Y/N wasn't even scared. Excited? Yes. Nervous? Also yes, but scared? No. The thought of meeting him gave them a sort of warmth, which was rather peculiar. They summed it up to the fact that if they met Rex Lapis, Guizhong was not too far behind. Y/N was extremely excited to meet her, considering the fact that the only thing Genshin fans had gotten was the cutscene during third year's Lantern Rite and small tidbits of information.

Along with knowing that meeting those two was inevitable, Y/N realised that since visions weren't technically around - due to there being no Archons yet - that they might not have powers, or well, an elemental ability. When they were simmering on the thought, Y/N felt something weighing on their body, like something was trapped beneath their skin.

They didn't ponder on it too much; being in this world, being alone, made them realise that they can't waste time on something that's not ready. Patience was key, and hopefully fate is kind to you... Not that fate was ever kind to Y/N in their past life.

The e/c eyed adult did appreciate the fact that they had been given a second chance of sorts in their favourite world. They wouldn't change it, but... Whilst there were days the h/c haired was slightly happy, there were days where all they could do is lay in their wooden makeshift bed, their blanket which still had holes in over them as they stared at a wall, zoned out. Tears continuously falling from their e/c eyes, dark eye-bags decorating under their eyes.

It was times like that that Y/N wondered why the universe decided to send them here, what reason they had for it. The loneliness ate at them, consuming every last bit of happiness, wishing that someone would come and save them.

Days like that, Y/N dragged themselves out of bed before sunrise, and collected some glaze lilies and made the walk up the mountain that they first landed on. Sitting at the top of the mountain, watching the sunrise and making the glaze lilies they had collected into a flower crown. It was... calming for them, creating the flower crown distracted them from their thoughts, and the sunrise was too beautiful. Seeing it in real life was breathtaking, and it was tranquil and peaceful. The soft wind that caressed their face, the sun beaming on them, warming them up.

It really did relax them.

Sleep-deprivation always kept Y/N on their toes, knowing that some people out there wouldn't hesitate to end their life, thinking they're a threat (Y/N was most definitely not thinking of a certain future Archon of Geo).

But they didn't think that sleep-deprivation came with hallucinations, not until they had stayed up for two days straight - which happened often in their past life.

Whilst Y/N was sleep-deprived, with having only about a maximum of an hours sleep, their mind couldn't conjure this image up that looked so real. Because if that was the case, then Y/N would have hallucinated Guizhong laying in a garden of flowers earlier. Much earlier. Her grey hair fading into a cerulean fanned around her like a halo, her blue hair-pin not to be seen. Her dress had long, shoulder-cut, billowing sleeves that covers her hands. The inside of the sleeves is adorned with the pattern of a starry night sky. The tails of her dress seem to appear to fragment at the ends, a few glaze lilies embroidered on her dress, along with a blue ankle bracelet on her ankle.

If they had to describe her, it would be that of a true goddess - an angel.

Y/N stood frozen when they saw her, asking themselves whether it was real or not, when they heard Guizhong speak.

Yeah, the h/c haired definitely couldn't hallucinate something like this so vividly.

"Hello stranger," She spoke softly, never once opening her eyes or looking in Y/N's direction, "What brings you here?"

Still frozen, the e/c eyed didn't know what to say; this was Guizhong in front of them. A person they loved in Genshin Impact, a technical canon-character (even though she died thousands of years before canon).

A gentle laugh that sounded like bells ringing brought them out of their thoughts, "Come, sit."

Y/N, not one to disobey pretty women, slowly made their way to Guizhong, hesitatingly sitting down a few feet away.

"What's your name?" Guizhong asked, her eyes now opened, her grey eyes locking with e/c eyes.

Y/N cleared their throat, suddenly feeling dehydrated, "Y/N L/N," They whispered, "May I know yours?"

"I'm Guizhong," The lady replied in kind, a soft smile adorning her youthful face, "So, what brings you here?"

"I live nearby, I couldn't sleep so I went up the mountain to watch the sunrise." Y/N responded, keeping their voice lone, hoping to convey that they weren't hostile (considering the fact that Guizhong could probably annihilate them in one hit), "I've not seen a..." The h/c haired paused, unsure which word to use, "person since I started staying here. It's nice to finally talk to another being."

Guizhong giggled with her eyes closed, her bagged sleeve held up to her mouth, "That sounds quite lonely, Y/N. Although, I'm here purely because I needed to get away from that old blockhead... always so serious."

Y/N would have cackled at that if they personally knew Rex Lapis, but alas, that was not the case, so they simply tilted their head sideways in a questioning type way. "Old blockhead?"

"That would be my good friend Rex Lapis." Guizhong explained with a fond smile, "He's not one for human interaction."

"Ah," Y/N nodded, "With the way you say that, it makes it seem like you are not human."

Guizhong raised her hand and brushed it against the horns that were adorned on Y/N's head, sending a shiver down their spine - their horns were truly their most sensitive body part. Yet, it didn't feel uncomfortable, especially with the way Guizhong was careful not to be rough.

"Yes, Rex Lapis and I are what humans would call Gods." Guizhong pulled her hand back, a certain glint in her stormy eyes, "Although, being on your own, I suppose you won't know what exactly you are, either?"

Y/N's eyes widened; they never thought about it other than that they maybe had adepti blood in them. Shaking their head, they truthfully responded to the Goddess, finding no need to hide in lies. "No... not particularly. All I know is one day I crashed on the same mountain I came down from, and was in a young adults body. Once I found a lake of water, I found out I had horns on my head, and that I could change my appearance slightly, and turned into an adult version of myself."

"How peculiar!" Guizhong exclaimed, arms spread wide with a grin on her face, "Rex would surely like you." She paused, putting her hand on her chin in thought, a small pout on her face, "There is something about you that feels strange, but not unwelcome. There is a similarity between you and a few friends of mine, perhaps if I could introduce you to them, then it would help us."

'Oh my god Guizhong wants to help me.' Y/N screamed in their head, 'A pretty woman wants to help ME.'

"Are you sure that would be okay?" Y/N asked, slightly afraid of the reaction of the other adepti, although, meeting Cloud Retainer would surely be entertaining.

"Of course! No one will ask if I bring you with me," Guizhong softly smiled in reassurance, "I'm known as quite the social person, so it would be nothing new if I bring back a friend."

"...A friend...?" Y/N's eyebrows knitted together, then smiled. It had been a while since they even talked to someone, much longer since they'd had a friend. Moreover, this was the Guizhong, there was no way they'd deny a friendship with her. "I would appreciate that."

Guizhong giggled and nodded her head. Y/N turned to look in the direction of the path towards their home, then back at Guizhong who was holding a glaze lily in her hand, "Would you like to come to my home? I can make us some food, if you are hungry."

The grey-haired Goddess looked up from the flower, "I would love to."

The two stood up, Y/N made sure the glaze lily flower crown wasn't crushed. It was now or never.

"Hm, Guizhong," Y/N hummed to get the woman's attention, making her turn towards them.

'Time to use Rizz for All. Deku, please help me out here.'

Taking the flower crown out from behind their back, Y/N gently placed the flower crown on the top of Guizhong's head, making sure it looked perfect and backed away from the Goddess, "A sign of our friendship."

Guizhong's stormy eyes were slightly widened in shock, until a shy smile made its way onto her face, a slight red hue coating her cheeks, "Thank you, Y/N. When we next meet after we leave, I'll bring back a gift for you."

'It's fucking worked, holy lord.'

Y/N smiled brightly at Guizhong, "There is no need, your presence is the only gift I would need."

The Goddess huffed in amusement, leaning her face away so they couldn't see her cheeks darkening, "So, shall you lead me to your house?"

"Of course," Y/N chuckled, "Follow me."

As the duo walked to Y/N's home, they bantered a bit, learning a few things about each other. Y/N learned somethings they already knew from canon - how she was a master engineer, a very intelligent woman but they also learned small details that they would have never known if it were for them being here, like how Guizhong liked to play small pranks on the other adepti (Guizhong explained in short about the purpose of Adepti) because they never expected the pranks to be her, how she loved it when humans came up to her with small little gifts, showing their appreciation to her.

How she often needed time alone from people, even if she was a social butterfly, she liked to be alone sometimes - to which Y/N apologised profusely for interrupting her alone time, which Guizhong only laughed at and said it was all right - and she even talked a bit about Rex Lapis, how he was the opposite of her, but they were still best friends and balanced each other out.

It made Y/N feel warm, knowing these little things about her.

Seeing their home in the distance, Y/N smiled, "I'm sorry it might not seem like much, but originally it was nearly unrepairable. I spent a long time trying to fix it up."

"There's no need to apologise, Y/N, I'm just glad you feel comfortable allowing me here!"

Y/N was going to combust of cute aggression if Guizhong kept this up.

The rest of the morning consisted of Guizhong and Y/N talking over a cup of water - which, once again, Y/N apologised for, but Guizhong was not having it, and gently smacked the top of their head (careful not to hit their horns) in retaliation - and talked into late afternoon. The topic had randomly moved onto weapons somehow, and Guizhong had asked Y/N if they learned to use any type of weapon.

After learning that they had been teaching themselves to use the polearm, Guizhong gasped, stormy eyes twinkling with wonder and asked if she could see. Although embarrassed, Y/N did as Guizhong asked, unable to say no. She was just excited that Y/N used the same weapon as her best friend did (which she said as much).

The Goddess was quite impressed with Y/N's skill with the polearm, considering they were self-taught (technically), saying that if they wanted, she could asked Rex Lapis to help teach them. Y/N wouldn't say no to it; but it was up to her friend... The h/c haired didn't know whether to be scared or not.

Faster than the two liked, the sun was setting and the two had spent the whole day together, quickly becoming closer than either thought they would, but neither unhappy. They slept soundly whilst sharing the one blanket that Y/N had.

✧・゚: *✧・゚:* *:・゚✧*:・゚✧

The next day, Y/N woke up their usual body clock time; before sun rise. Guizhong was still sleeping, soft low snores escaping her mouth. The h/c haired nearly yelled out at how cute she was, but was able to contain it, deciding to just wrap the blanket around the Goddess and go on a walk before she woke up. Looking at their old, rusted polearm, they felt the need to take it, and not one to ignore they instincts, the e/c eyed adult took it with them.

They found themselves in the same sea of flowers Y/N met Guizhong and sighed, the place was perfect for peaceful silence. Laying, surrounded by glaze lilies, giving off a fresh scent.

It was peaceful until they felt a presence lunging towards them.

Y/N rolled away, a polearm stuck in the ground of where they laid previously. Getting up on their feet quickly, they narrowed their eyes at the figure who stood before them.

Glowing golden diamond-like eyes glared dangerously, long brown hair that faded into a brownish orange colour, that was tied into a ponytail behind in back. His white garment that had no stains on it somehow, the hood over his head. Hand resting on the brown and yellow glowing polearm that was still in the ground.

'Of all the god damn fucking times, it had to be when Guizhong isn't here. Couldn't you have fucking waited a few hours, Zhongli?'

Said man lifted his polearm, and asked with a voice filled with deadly venom and a face that betrayed nothing of his emotions but anger, "Where is Guizhong?"

Y/N took a deep breath, this was a God, but it was also Zhongli, one of their favourite characters. But in a situation like this, they had to differ the character that they knew, and the person who stood before them, ready to murder them in cold blood.

"She is safe, asleep in my home. I can take you there, if you would like. Guizhong has told me about you."

Zhong- no, Rex Lapis' golden-eyed glare hardened even further, borderline bloodthirsty, "How do you know her?"

Y/N would have answered honestly, if Rex Lapis even gave them a chance. Except he didn't, as soon as he asked that, he lunged at them, they dodged him by a hairs width again. This was the beginning of the game of cat and mouse. In which Y/N was the mouse, continuously trying to dodge the brown-haired man, who was the cat, and kept aiming to hurt them. The h/c haired had no idea how they managed to be able to dodge him for so long, they were beginning to think fate liked them enough to allow them to live.

Until Rex Lapis was able to pin them to the ground, straddling them with one of his gloves hands holding his polearm to their throat, whilst the other actually choked them. Y/N would have enjoyed it, if it weren't for the unfortunate circumstances in which they were being choked. Look, Zhongli is hot, now times that by ten, with his Archon outfit on - no, not his statue one - the one with the hood, with a murderous glint in his eyes, jaw clenched.

Yeah, if it weren't for the fact he was trying to kill them, Y/N was sure they'd enjoy it (not that they didn't enjoy it already...) and even encourage it.

Rex Lapis opened his mouth to speak, only to be interrupted by an angry shout by a familiar voice.

Y/N let out a breath of relief at the sight of Guizhong. Although, the vexed look on her face didn't quite match her image. The h/c haired let out a soft laugh which blew on Rex Lapis' face, blowing up his hair the tiniest bit. The man was frozen, the hand that had been choking them loosened, eyes wide in fright.

To know Guizhong had such an affect on the man Zhongli had been in the passed... it's fun to see in real life, seeing their bond.

"Rex Lapis." Guizhong stopped in front of them, arms crossed and eyebrows knitted in anger.

It took not even another second for him to get off of Y/N and stand up to look over Guizhong. Just as he was about to reach out a hand to her, she slapped it away and turned to Y/N who still laid on the ground, a red hand imprint around their neck beginning to form.

Guizhong crouched down beside the h/c haired, and frowned sadly at the mark, "Are you okay, Y/N?"

"Yeah," Y/N exhaled through their nose, sitting up, "I know you said your best friend was rather... violent in nature, but I didn't expect to nearly see my life flash before my eyes."

Guizhong narrowed her eyes the brown-haired God only looked down in shame. She turned back to Y/N and raised her hand to gently trace the imprint, "We'll take you back to our camp, we'll have healers look at it and clean up the scratches you have gained from this blockhead of an oaf."

"It's no big deal," Y/N laughed, e/c eyes locking with golden orbs, a small smile on their face, "It's fair that he acted like that, although far too violent for my liking. He is your friend, and Gods make many enemies, it is only natural he wants to protect who he holds dear."

Guizhong helped them up, grabbing their hand and dragging them with her into a random direction of which Y/N assumed was where the camp was.

"Yes, but that does not give him the act so... recklessly and violently. You had done nothing wrong."

Another scolding glare was sent Rex Lapis' way, who stayed a few feet behind the two, almost following like a lost puppy. It was a little funny to Y/N.

The rest of the way was spent in silence, and soon enough, Y/N was in a small tent with someone who was able to clean their small wounds, and put a cold wet cloth on their neck.

"Just rest," The lady said, "It should heal up in a few days."

So Y/N stayed in the tent until their throat healed from its bruising. Guizhong occasionally coming to check up on them every few hours, Rex Lapis never came, to which they didn't expect him to.

What did surprise them though, was after being told they could leave, Guizhong came and yanked them by their arm to a different tent. Y/N had no idea what was going on until they saw Rex Lapis standing with his hands behind his back.

'He looks so much like Zhongli in that pose...'

Guizhong's voice brought them back to the land of the living, "Rex here has agreed to train you in polearm mastery."

"Eh?"

Guizhong narrowed her stormy eyes at Rex Lapis who only sighed, his face impassive.

"I apologise for almost killing you and suspecting you of doing something to Guizhong."

Y/N's mouth formed an 'o', stunned into silence for a few seconds. They let out a soft laugh and shook their head, "As I already said, there's no need. It was only natural, but thank you for the apology, Rex Lapis."

The man only glanced back at Guizhong, as if telling her to speak. She only said, and put her hand on Y/N's shoulder, "While Rex will teach you how to utilise a polearm to an advanced level, I will teach you the ways of the Adepti, along with a few of our friends."

Y/N's eyes widened, making eye contact with Guizhong, "So I am an Adeptus, then? Or at least, I have the blood of one..."

"Yes," It was Rex Lapis that replied this time, "Although it seemed to be dormant, which is unusual and we will have to proceed with caution." The man put his hand to his chin in thought, "Are there any powers you are aware of that you possess?"

Y/N shook their head, "Not that I know of, but I do feel like there's some dormant within me, which could be my power, or the... Adeptus blood you mentioned."

"We will find out during training," He nodded to himself, "Meet me in the training area once you are done with Guizhong here."

The two let the man leave before Guizhong spoke up, "I know this might be a lot, but perhaps you could stay here for a few days? See how far your capabilities go. I also wouldn't mind having my new friend around."

"Of course, Guizhong," Y/N smiled at the grey-haired Goddess, happy to know that she wanted them around, "I am also quite curious as to what will happen."

Guizhong hummed happily, guiding Y/N out of the tent and towards where they assumed the training area was, "I will come collect you in a few hours so I can introduce you to our Adepti friends."

They stopped in front of a barricaded arena, an assortment of weapons in a chest at the front.

"Okay, I'll leave you here," Guizhong said, gesturing towards the arena, "Good luck, and if anything happens, don't hesitate to call me and I'll lecture Rex for you."

Y/N laughed and nodded at the Goddess, "I'll keep that in mind, Guizhong, thank you."

"I'll see you in a few hours!"

Y/N waved goodbye to her. Looking up at the sky for a moment, they sighed and walked forward into the arena, already seeing Rex Lapis twirling his polearm around like an expert... and if Y/N thought it was hot, then that was for them to know and only them.

Deciding to speak up to announce their arrival, "Thank you for training me."

The man glanced at the h/c haired before turning back to his polearm, "Thank Guizhong, she is the one who persuaded me and thinks you will be of use."

Y/N huffed in annoyance; this man was very different to future Zhongli, and whilst it was nice, seeing a different side to him, seeing it directed at them was different. "It matters not, the fact you agreed is enough for me to thank you."

Rex Lapis hummed, "Pick out a polearm from the chest and we'll get started."

And that was the start of hours of physically torture for Y/N.

Although, they made significant progress, and learned fast, to which Rex Lapis was even quite shocked at, but never verbally spoke on it.

Y/N got back up from being knocked onto the ground for the hundredth time, Rex Lapis decided to speak up and ask a question.

"So from what Guizhong and I can tell, you have Adepti blood in you, but you are unable to access your power." He spoke clearly, even after the hours of physical, sweat was only just beginning to build on his forehead, whilst Y/N was drenched in sweat, their clothes beginning to sit to their skin uncomfortably. "I have an idea of how to draw the power out, but it might exhaust your body for a few days, and you might be on bedrest for those days."

"Hmm," Y/N hummed as they dodged another one of his attacked, dancing behind him, "How would you do that?"

"I'm the Prime Adeptus, so there may be some way for me to connect to your dormant blood and bring it forward," Rex Lapis explained, slicing his polearm into Y/N's side who only grunted and blocked the next attack, "But there is a chance it may not work, to which we will find a different way to do it. Mooncarver or Skybracer may be able to help with that."

Recognising the names, Y/N nodded, "Alright. What did you have in mind?" Rex Lapis blocked Y/N's last attack, he forcefully pushed them away and stopped the fight.

He walked quite close to Y/N, almost looking like he was embarrassed, "I would need to get closer to you, if that is alright?"

"I mean, you've already nearly choked me to death, Rex Lapis," Y/N snorted in amusement, "I will be fine."

The man only sighed in response and walked close enough that Y/N could feel the warmth he emitted. Although, they weren't given much time to think over that fact when Rex Lapis brought his hands up and cupped their cheeks with his gloved hands, and before they could even think about that, he brought his right hand up, and poked two fingers onto their forehead.

The reaction was immediate, the flow of power that once was dormant, spread through their veins all over their body. Y/N could feel every spark of energy that lit up. The most shocking part was the dark navy that covered half their hand and their fingers, white little star-shaped dots littering around the navy.

Bringing their hands up to inspect them, Rex Lapis moved his hands away from their head and held their hands gently, "It seems it was a success. You feel different, yes?"

"Yes," Y/N agreed, "It feels... freeing, in a way. Like now that the power is free from being dormant, a weight has been lifted off my shoulders."

Y/N swears they saw a small twitch of the brown-haired man's lips, but it was in a split second, making them wonder if it was a hallucination. They looked into his eyes and smiled, "Thank you,  I appreciate it greatly."

"If you would like..." Rex Lapis paused, looking away from Y/N, "I would like to help you train your power, other than your hands, we have no idea what your power could be."

Y/N thought for a moment; it would be beneficial, and plus, they got to spend more time with past Zhongli, it was a once in a lifetime opportunity - and they meant that literally. "Of course, I would be grateful for the help," They looked at the star-littered navy hands for a moment, squinting, and remembering how they got here. In that golden star-like shield that surrounded them... "Would it be too early to assume what my power is?"

"No, if you have an idea, it may very well be what you think it is." He responded, looking at Y/N's hands in wonder.

Y/N hummed, "I think it may have to do with the moon and the stars."

Rex Lapis raised an eyebrow at the statement, "That is... interesting, I have never heard of that. Normally, powers are to do with the current residing elements of Teyvat."

"I know..." Y/N sighed, "But I am an... unusual case."

"It would seem you are, Y/N." The man nodded, golden eyes filled with curiosity and intrigue. The way he spoke their name gave butterflies to Y/N's stomach, but they pushed that down. No time for simping here.

The future Geo Archon opened his mouth to speak, only to get interrupted by the familiar soft voice of Guizhong, "Y/N! It's my time with you now! Come, come, we must go meet the Adepti!"

The grey-haired Goddess grabbed Y/N's newly colour acquired hand before either Rex Lapis or them could speak.

"Oh, a new hand! Tell me all about your training!"

Y/N could only wave goodbye to Rex Lapis who just stared at them as they left.

━━☽⋆° ✧⋆°━━

❝𝐓𝐇𝐄𝐘 𝐂𝐑𝐈𝐄𝐃 𝐒𝐎 𝐒𝐈𝐋𝐄𝐍𝐓𝐋𝐘, 𝐒𝐎 𝐋𝐎𝐒𝐓, 𝐀 𝐇𝐄𝐀𝐑𝐓 𝐅𝐔𝐋𝐋 𝐎𝐅 𝐒𝐓𝐀𝐑𝐋𝐄𝐒𝐒 𝐄𝐌𝐏𝐓𝐈𝐍𝐄𝐒𝐒.❞

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

247K 8.4K 30
you're holding me and holding back. | ๆš—้ป™ใฎ a scaramouche x reader au where you experience your first heartbreak. as you try to move on just like any...
6.4K 186 27
หœ"*ยฐโ€ข.หœ"*ยฐโ€ข "What a shame, i thought you'd be happy to see me!" โ€ขยฐ*"หœ.โ€ขยฐ*"หœ "I ษฏฮฑส‚ ษฏษพฯƒษณษ ." หœ"*ยฐโ€ข.หœ"*ยฐโ€ข what will happen after Y/N sees scaramouche...
23.2K 910 16
Basically the title but: Y/N L/N reincarnated into a hilichurl after passing from a heart attack. Him being more of an important character than he sh...
28.9K 718 13
(Rewriting this fanfic on another genshin book) ๐Ÿ’ซYou died and has transported into genshin impact (I know clichรจ), and accompanies the traveler on t...