Aeonian [Legolas]

By StillBurningBridges

Aeonian | ē-'ō-nē-ęn | - adj lasting for an immeasurably or indefinitely long period of time; eternal. "Not i... More

Introduction
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
33
34
35
36
37
Authors Note

32

1.7K 97 12
By StillBurningBridges

Viridis left the next night without the jewels though he had searched, already suspecting Thorin had found them and thus hid them knowing his motivations.

He had half expected it, of course, and worry over it was but a distant thought in his mind as he trailed Bilbo through the night, following as he descended over the stone barricade with a rope strung about and landed almost soundlessly against the uneven ground below.

He and Thorin had a conversation earlier. About what, Viridis did not know but it wasn't too hard a guess. The Dwarves were all suiting up, fastening breastplates and arming themselves when Thorin pulled Bilbo to the side. Whatever was spoken had pushed Bilbo away from Erebor.

Viridis himself was already preparing to leave when he had spotted the Hobbit sneak past, sticking to the shadows even though it was many an hour past dark and everyone had occupied themselves elsewhere.

"Bilbo." He spoke, voice delicate against the night.

The next step Bilbo took nearly sent him off the bridge and into the moat below. He whirled, clutching at his heart, exhaling when he saw it was only Viridis.

"You half scared me to death Viridis. I don't appreciate that." He said.

"Apologies Master Baggins." Viridis replied though it sounded like he hadn't the heart to care that he nearly stopped another. He traded a glance upward to see if anyone had followed him and jutted his head toward Dale when he saw they were alone.

They traveled in silence, footsteps hardly audible save for Bilbo's as he internally winced whenever a piece of stone would be kicked out of place by him. Walking beside an Elf certainly wasn't the best person to compare to since his journey was inexplicably silent, so silent, in fact, that several times he found himself looking over to make sure the amber-haired Elf was still with him.

"Do you have the stone?" Viridis asked only when they were well enough away from Erebor and equal distance between the two Kingdoms. No one could hear them here.

"Of course." He said, patting at a pocket within his tunic once more to confirm his tellings and nodded soundly when he felt it.

Of Viridis was relieved or impressed that the Hobbithadn't managed to be found out or misplaced the stone, it didn't show on his face that was half hidden by the shadows anyway. Bilbo suspected that being so close to two conflicting loyalties was taking a toll on him. Two nations he had loyalty to and two nations that had several a reason to see to it he was banished from Middle Earth entirely.

"I was thinking we use it as a bargaining token," Bilbo said into the night as they continued onward, the lights of Dale contrasting the bleak dark of night. "Give the stone to Thranduil and Bard so that they may return it to Thorin in exchange for their shares and jewels."

Viridis nodded appreciatively, hiking easily up a small hill of jagged rock that distorted the loose path they had located. "Thorin does not give you enough credit, Hobbit. The way your mind works is staggering."

Bilbo was out of breath by the time he hiked up the stone. "Thanks." He huffed out. His brows furrowed. "A-And why were you outside Erebor? You were there before me or planning to leave at the same time anyway. Did you know I'd be there too?"

Viridis took a moment too long to respond and when he did, it was with a distinguishable hum. "I could tell what you were planning and I only wished to be there with you as you stopped a four-way war?"

"Four? What are you-" Bilbo trailed off but never finished his thought when he had to double his strides to catch up to the Elf once more. Usually, Viridis was kind with his strides and slowed down so he could keep up but tonight he seemed distracted.

Ahead, Viridis did eventually find himself and slowed down so Bilbo could catch up. They were approaching the main steps that would lead them to Dale then and thoughts of the different paths he could have taken flashed in his mind.

Bilbo was right to question him. He had been ready to leave Erebor with the Hobbit or not. He was lying to himself though. He knew his mind had contemplated it the moment he first landed outside. North. His feet almost carried him there. To what? To find Legolas? Ask him to forsake his people and leave with him so that they may live in a world where they weren't constantly looking over their shoulders. Just so that they could finally be together? He shook his head when the sound of amiable chatter called his attention forward to the present now instead of possibilities.

People passed the duo with odd looks as they went, heads down and feet only pushing forward as they aimed for the heart of the town. Viridis knew he did not look like the other Elves there with his month-old travel garbs and a Hobbit by his side but everyone was tired and with the lack of other resources, no one found it within themselves to try and stop the pair.

Neither had to ask any questions as to where Bard or Thranduil may be either. That much was clear as they headed toward a larger tent filled with a warm light that seemed to emanate heat.

Gandalf and Bard were talking hurriedly at the entrance, conversing about something that did not remain a question for much longer.

"Do you agree?" Gandalf was asking Bard. "Is gold so important to you? Would you buy it with the blood of Dwarves?"

Bard shook his head. "It will not come to that. This is a fight they cannot win."

"That won't stop them," Bilbo said before he'd even the chance to properly reach them. He continued speaking as he pushed through the last stretch of land, voice growing louder. "You think the Dwarves will surrender? They won't. They will fight to the death to defend their honor."

"Bilbo Baggins." Gandalf said, voice hoarse as he took in the sight before him.

Bilbo just smiled, frown falling away in the split second it took him to breathe out.

"We need to speak to Thranduil," Viridis announced, gaze holding strong even as it met Gandalf's. He had not seen the Wizard since Mirkwood and as much as he was thankful to see him alive and well, he'd wished the old man left the company with something more than encouraging parting words.

Gandalf nodded as if he were expecting the demand and let his gaze fall. He turned toward the tent and held the cloth door open, a silent gesture so Viridis and Bilbo could enter. Viridis did so with a reluctant ease, stepping through, dipping his head as he felt a set of eyes bore into his.

Gandalf let the flap fall shut when he and Bard had reentered once more and only then did Viridis look up. The King was perched on a throne, regal in posture and loud in his presence despite the almost suffocating silence that enveloped them for a time.

Bilbo wet his lips and traded a look with Viridis as Thranduil began to speak.

"If I am not mistaken.. this is the Halfling who stole the keys to my dungeons from under the nose of my guards." He said.

The way Bilbo looked down, face scrunched up with an odd sort of guilt-stricken alienation inflicted by the King taking over his face. "...Yes. Well, actually..."

"Viridis got them for you, didn't he." Thranduil filled in, already seemingly knowing. "Why am I not surprised." He said, gaze drifting upward from the Hobbit to the Elf by his side. Viridis' face was an air of indifference, void of any emotions as he gazed right back. As much as he had trouble keeping his emotions in check when near Legolas, his father did not prove to be any problem in the slightest.

"What happened in the past has only led us to this moment," Viridis said, not once apologizing.

"Do you have my jewels?" Thranduil ventured.

"No." Viridis replied without a hint of shame. "But we have something else." He said, turning to Bilbo and nodding.

The Hobbit took a quick breath in and took a step forward, hand venturing to the inside pocket of his robe from where he pulled out something clothed. He placed it on the war table before the King and pulled apart the cloth to reveal its confines.

What Thranduil saw caused him to stand up. "The heart of the mountain." He muttered in awe. "The King's Jewel."

"And worth a king's ransom." Added Bard as he came closer to examine the stone that shone its own inner light and protected it outward so that the whole world may see. He turned to Bilbo with an air of contempt. "How is this yours to give?" He asked.

"I took it as my 14th share of the treasure," Bilbo replied evenly. Viridis masked a smile at the noble act. A stone to barter instead of gold coin to use. An honorable cause my an honorable Hobbit.

"Why would you do this?" Bard asked. "You owe us no loyalty."

"I'm not doing it for you," Bilbo said. A shut his eyes for a moment and pursed his lips. "I know that Dwarves can be obstinate... and pigheaded... and difficult. They're suspicious and secretive... With the worst manner you can possibly imagine. But they are also brave... and kind.. and loyal to a fault." He looked around at them all, only truth shining in his eyes. "I've grown very fond of them. And I'm sure Viridisi has too. And I would save them if I can. Now Thorin values this stone above all else. In exchange for its return, I believe he will give you what you are owed. There will be no need for war."

They were all moved by Bilbo's speech. Some more than others evidently as Viridis found his gaze subconsciously moving to Thranduil. Thranduil, who seemed almost agitated with the sudden alternate path presented by the stone. With a startling realization, Viridis realized the King was actively seeking war. He had been quiet for so many years and this was just an opportunity to once more prove his Kingdoms worth. And the Dwarves were just a prime excuse.

"Your sacrifice will be... honored and acted on, Hobbit." Thranduil spoke finally. "Go. Rest so that we may be prepared for tomorrow."

Bilbo opened his mouth as if wishing to say something more but then he clamped it shut, nodding briskly and stepping outside the tent. Gandalf moved to follow and escort the Hobbit and traded a meaningful glance with Viridis as he did so. They may have just prevented war,  but there were other issues that needed addressing.

"Why do you linger?" Thranduil asked, passive with his words. He was not yet quick to anger and that meant he was willing to see reason.

"I wish you to know I will not be fighting with you or against you unless the cause is just." He said, a reiteration of his speech to Thorin the previous day. "

"If you were to bring my jewels, none of this would be of any concern."

"If I were to bring your jewels. Thorin would begin to lose reason. He would march into a war outnumbered in the thousands if he had to and you would meet him head-on because you lack the prowess to know when you have gone too far."

Thranduil did not lash out at Viridis' statement. After all, it was less a jab than the honest truth. Instead, he leaned back in his seat, tension leaving his shoulders. "You always were the peacemaker." He said, gazing upon the Elf with a glisten of something in his eyes. Of all the times he had ever been in the King's presence, he had never witnessed it once.

Sensing the conversation drawing to a close, Viridis dipped his head in farewell; a promise to meet again. "I can only hope this time the cost is not a life worth living." He said and then he was leaving Thranduil on his throne, turning his back on his kin and stepping out once more into the night.

The air now though did not come so easy.

Sorry updates have been so slow. Between school and work and writing another fic that I think you all might like, I haven't had the time nor motivation. We are almost at the end though so believe that I will power through and get to a thoughtful ending :) thanks for 20k!
SBB

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

26.2K 537 25
Y/N Y/L/N is an 19 year old outgoing , funny , smart , pretty girl. She of course loves the lord of the rings and the hobbit movies and books thanks...
411K 11K 64
Leona Baggins lives with her older brother Bilbo in the peaceful rolling hills of the Shire - that peace is short-lived when a wizard and a group of...
84.9K 3.4K 32
PREVIOUSLY 'Pulchritudinous' "So, you're the legendary wandering wizard? I must say, I'm a little disappointed." "Well, that's nice. I wasn't really...
113K 2.8K 77
A fellowship is formed to destroy the One Ring to save middle-Earth. They withstand lost, battles, war. What they hadn't reckoned was Ethir - lost bl...