Maybe this Time

By Orionyargi

After two years living away, Ceylin has to return to Istanbul. A threat to her life proves to be greater than... More

Maybe This Time - Chapter One
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8

Chapter 5

1.6K 72 43
By Orionyargi

Hello beautiful fandom! How are you guys?

The readers have voted, so here it is, a huuuuge chapter (over 9k words!) filled with drama, tension, angst, desire and action. There is a bit of everything!

You guys have waited long enough, so here it is. Happy reading!

—-

"Distance is to love what wind is to fire; it extinguishes the small, it inflames the great." - Roger Bussy-Rabutin

Maybe This Time - Chapter Five

Ilgaz rolled onto his side and sighed heavily when he noticed the digital clock atop his nightstand. Even though it was still early, it was already an acceptable hour to leave his bed.

He had spent most of the night awake questioning many of his decisions, something unusual for him. His head throbbed painfully with questions he didn't have answers to.

As a general rule, whenever something bothered him deeply, Ilgaz was able to compartmentalize his emotions and obliterate the ones that caused him to react negatively. However, it was impossible to ignore anything that involved Ceylin.

His mental strength and determination were losing the battle against the deepest desires of his heart. Feeling defeated, the prosecutor got up and put on the first shirt he saw before leaving his bedroom.

When he crossed the door, Ilgaz was welcomed by the wonderful smell of fresh coffee and fruit jam, but it was the sight in front of him that made him struggle with the urge to smile.

Ceylin worked on something on the kitchen counter with her back turned to him. She hadn't noticed his arrival, apparently very focused on the task at hand.

Even though he knew he should announce his presence, Ilgaz found himself postponing the moment. Once Ceylin realized she wasn't alone, the air between them would be tense again, and he wouldn't see her as relaxed and comfortable as now.

The prosecutor noticed she'd set the breakfast table and, this time, he couldn't contain the smile that lit up his face. Ceylin didn't have to say anything; he'd already picked up on the fact she was trying to make up for what she considered a gesture of kindness on his part to welcome her into his home. The lawyer viewed her presence there as a burden, despite Ilgaz repeatedly denying that assumption.

He watched as Ceylin finished cutting a few slices of cheese on a board and opened the cabinet above her head in search of a tray. As she stretched out one arm to reach the highest shelf, the hem of her top slid slightly upward, rewarding Ilgaz with the sight of her bare midriff.

Despite firmly telling himself to look away, Ilgaz couldn't stop staring. Ceylin was wearing loose, comfortable pajama pants, but the elastic strap on her hips perfectly outlined her feminine curves.

The top she had on was just as modest, but Ilgaz didn't need much to be assaulted by old memories. He'd already seen — and touched — many other parts of Ceylin's body before.

Memories of how the curve of her waist seemed perfectly designed to accommodate the touch of his hands flooded the prosecutor's brain, but Ilgaz finally forced himself to control the direction of his thoughts.

"What are you looking for?" He asked in a low voice, trying not to startle the lawyer.

Despite his effort, Ceylin splayed her hand on her chest and took a deep breath, making it clear that she had been surprised by his sudden presence.

"I can't find that small white tray," Ceylin briefly glanced over her shoulder before turning her attention to the shelf she couldn't reach, "the one with a square shape that has round edges?"

"That's contradictory," Ilgaz said wryly.

Ceylin was about to tease him back, but the prosecutor took a few steps forward and stood only a few inches from her back. The lawyer barely had time to process that she was pretty much trapped between Ilgaz's body and the countertop when he easily reached out from behind her to grab the questionable serving tray Ceylin had been looking for.

"Is there anything else you want?" Ilgaz asked after placing the object within her reach.

The prosecutor had practically whispered the words against Ceylin's hair. His presence at her back, so close to her body, sent a shiver down the lawyer's spine, and she had to hold on to the dark countertop to keep her balance. That was definitely not the most appropriate question to ask her when she could practically feel the heat from Ilgaz's body radiating into hers.

He knew he had to step back and walk away from Ceylin — and all the temptation that being around her entailed. But the familiar scent on her brown hair and that wonderful smell of fresh clean laundry that seemed to emanate from her sleeping clothes prevented him from doing so.

He could think back to many mornings like this when he had woken up to Ceylin preparing breakfast for them. Except that, two years ago, Ilgaz wouldn't have hesitated to wrap his arms around her waist before he buried his face in the crook of her neck, adding kisses and cuddles to his good morning wishes.

The course of his thoughts brought common sense back to the prosecutor's head, and he finally took a step back. Ilgaz needed to remember everything at stake, especially the feelings of one of the most honorable and respectful women he'd ever met.

"Do you want tea or coffee?" Ceylin asked, apparently as distraught as him.

"Coffee," Ilgaz answered promptly, taking a seat at the table.

"I figured," Ceylin didn't filter her thoughts.

Belatedly realizing the intimacy that her comment implied, the lawyer bit her bottom lip. The underlying familiarity in that whole interaction between them was unnerving to her, and she was sure Ilgaz felt the same way.

"What do you have planned for today? Are you going to try to get a search warrant for Lyra?" Ceylin changed subjects abruptly, seeking some neutral ground.

"We're not going to discuss that here," Ilgaz replied patiently.

Ceylin bit back a frustrated sigh.

"What you mean is, we're never going to discuss that," she scolded him, annoyed. Ceylin still hadn't gotten over his decision to keep her out of the investigation.

"Something like that," the corners of Ilgaz's lips creased into something resembling a smile, but he hid it by taking another sip of his coffee. Despite the sleep deprivation, he felt much more refreshed after a morning shot of caffeine and a good meal. "Everything was delicious, Ceylin," Ilgaz praised her effort by pointing to his empty plate with his head. "You shouldn't have bothered."

"It was the least I could do," she answered with resignation.

"What are your plans for today?" Ilgaz asked, getting up to put the dirty dishes in the sink. Knowing that Ceylin's life was in danger and that they couldn't guarantee her safety when she was in the street drove him crazy. "Do you have any appointments at the Courthouse?"

"I don't have anything scheduled for today. I'll spend the whole day at the office working on some files," Ceylin replied as she put the breakfast leftovers in the fridge.

Perfect, Ilgaz thought, letting out his breath in relief. That certainly made things easier.

"I'll drop you off at work on my way to the Courthouse," Ilgaz told her in a tone that admitted no denials. "And I'll drive back to pick you up later in the afternoon."

"There's no need for that, Ilgaz. I'll be fine," Ceylin resisted, aware of the disruption she was causing in his life.

"Don't even start," Ilgaz looked at her sternly. The last thing he wanted was to argue over the same subject again. "Go get ready. We'll leave in twenty minutes, okay?"

Left with no other option but to agree, Ceylin nodded. There were no bars or handcuffs anywhere near her, but she felt imprisoned. Her helplessness in the face of her own predicament made that entire situation even more discouraging.

.

Ilgaz was pacing on the sidewalk caught up in his thoughts when he distractedly kicked a pebble on the ground. He only raised his head after hearing a familiar female voice call his name.

"Hi," he smiled apprehensively when he saw Melis walking toward him.

He had driven to the school where his girlfriend worked during her lunch break, but now she looked surprised to see him.

If the circumstances had been different and his head wasn't so busy reflecting on his life, Ilgaz would have consciously noticed what his subconscious immediately picked up on. Instead of looking happy to see him as usual, Melis seemed to have a shadow of disappointment in the depths of her blue eyes.

"Is everything okay?" The prosecutor frowned, unsure of the reason he was asking that question.

"Yes, of course," Melis smiled, blushing. "I was just surprised you came all the way here. I thought I'd meet you in the Courthouse," she explained detachedly.

"I thought you preferred the restaurants in this area," Ilgaz pointed out. They'd had this conversation a few times before. The premises near the school were better looking and offered better service than those in the neighborhood where the Police Station and the Courthouse were located.

"Yes, you're right," Melis glanced at him before looking straight ahead again. "Shall we?"

Ilgaz walked by her side down the sidewalk and noticed that he hadn't put any effort into making closer physical contact with Melis. She hadn't tried to kiss him either.

They talked about neutral topics at lunch. An hour later, as he returned to the Courthouse, Ilgaz drove automatically in the familiar streets, reflecting on his discoveries.

He and Melis were distancing themselves emotionally. She seemed unsure and sometimes even uncomfortable in her recent interactions with him. The prosecutor wondered how much of that was on him since it couldn't be a coincidence that Ceylin's return to his life had served to cause a rift in his previously stable relationship.

Ilgaz parked the car near the building where he worked and swallowed hard, realizing that he didn't like the answer to his own question.

.

Ceylin closed her laptop and stretched the sore muscles in her arms and neck. She had spent most of the day sitting in front of her computer, researching the companies she was suspicious of. Now, her body protested the prolonged time spent in the same position.

Earlier that afternoon, she had contacted Professor Sinan to inform him of the progress she'd made. He had looked very distressed after Ceylin shared the details of the events that took place on the night she had gotten into Ilgaz's car, but the lawyer assured her old boss that she was watching out for herself and staying safe.

Glancing once more at her wristwatch, Ceylin sighed heavily. It wasn't even five in the afternoon yet, and it would be at least another hour before Ilgaz could pick her up. She was starving, and to her utter frustration, there was nothing in her office that she could use to fix a quick meal.

When she decided to leave the office to go to the grocery store, Ceylin didn't waste a lot of time debating whether or not she was making the right decision, for she knew there were several reasons against her going out alone.

She could practically hear Ilgaz's voice in her head scolding her as she locked the office door from the outside. It made much more sense to go to a distant location. If she was being monitored, her office would probably be the first place her enemies would watch.

Ceylin went down the stairs in her office building and waited in the entrance hall until she spotted a free taxi on the street. The lawyer sighed in relief after a few seconds of carefully studying her location and not seeing any of the familiar figures that had been previously following her. She also didn't spot anyone doing anything that could be considered suspicious.

The taxi driver was surprised when she asked him to go in circles in the streets of Istanbul, but he didn't say anything since the meter kept running. After paying two hundred liras for a ride that would typically cost eighty, Ceylin left the car and headed towards the charming little market near her old university.

The lawyer made a point of keeping an eye out as she stocked her shopping cart. She was choosing which onions to take from the stand when she felt a hand touch her back.

Turning abruptly in a hostile manner, Ceylin knocked over at least a dozen onions that rolled down the floor.

Eight pairs of wide eyes stared at her intently, wondering what was going on with the young woman who had practically pushed away a frail-looking market employee.

"I am sorry, miss," the senior looked at her, embarrassed. "I was just trying to get one of those bags for another customer; I didn't mean to touch you."

Ceylin realized that the man had drawn the conclusion that her reaction had been due to rejection of his innocent touch.

"I'm the one who owes you an apology," she pleaded, crouching down to pick up the vegetables that had rolled in every direction. One by one, the other customers in the grocery store shrugged and turned back to their own businesses. "I didn't mean to offend you, sir, but I was so distracted that your presence really startled me," the lawyer stood up with an apologetic smile, touching the man's shoulder after throwing all the onions she'd gathered into her shopping cart.

Ceylin knew she was telling a big fat lie. She had almost attacked the old man, not because she was distracted but because she had been hyper-vigilant.

The employee looked relieved after her explanation. He smiled back at the lawyer, determined to help her.

"Let's get you some new, fresh onions," he suggested with excitement, rummaging in the stand for new ones. "A beautiful girl like you deserves to take home the best we have to offer."

Ceylin laughed at the unexpected statement and was entertained by the witty old man in the following minutes. He helped her pick out the rest of her groceries and packed them for her when Ceylin went to the register.

Still absorbed in that sense of peace and normality that the interactions in the grocery store had given her, Ceylin left the place carrying three bags stocked with groceries, some cleaning products, and personal hygiene items. She figured she could walk for a while as the street was quite crowded at that time of day, but with the weight on her shoulders, it certainly wouldn't be the best choice.

Choosing to take a taxi home, the lawyer walked to the curb and held out her hand in the direction of the street. She studied the stream of cars, looking for an available vehicle, when a familiar figure materialized behind her.

"Need a ride?"

The chill that ran down her spine nearly paralyzed Ceylin, but she forced herself to turn around. The face she met made her drop one of the bags.

"What is it?" The same ogre who had followed her down the street a few days before leaned over and closed one of his massive hands on the straps of her bag, lifting the object like it had the weight of a feather. "Did I scare you?"

From up close, the guy's crooked, yellow-toothed smile was even creepier. Ceylin sensed a familiar scent reaching her nose - a mix of sweat, cheap cigarettes, and motor oil.

In a split second, she saw herself tied to a chair in the dark shed. Her eyes were blindfolded, but she could feel firm, harsh movements as someone tied her hands. And that exact smell...

This could only mean that the man standing in front of her with that sinister smile had been there when Ceylin was kidnapped in Ankara.

Feeling a wave of nausea that made bile rise in her throat, Ceylin looked up at the man and questioned him with a courage she didn't feel.

"What do you want from me? Leave me alone!" She demanded, pulling back the bag the man was holding. Despite her strong pull, the guy barely had to react to stop her from retaking her belongings.

"What do I want?" He snorted, roaming his eyes all over her body. "I was told you're a smart woman, Mrs. Lawyer," he smirked, taking obvious pleasure in tormenting her. "But don't worry. My boss is a very generous man. When he's finished with you, he'll certainly let me have some fun in your company..."

Panic swept over Ceylin.

"Who do you work for?" The lawyer struggled to overlook the stranger's disgusting insinuation, the lascivious way he looked at making her sick. She needed to get out of there as quickly as possible. "Why are you following me?"

"You'll find out soon enough," he said, bringing his face close to hers before he closed his free hand on Ceylin's arm and pulled her in the direction of a car parked in a deserted corner of the street.

"NO!" Ceylin resisted, looking around hoping that someone would see she was being taken against her will, but people seemed too absorbed in their cell phones or the company around them, hurrying along without so much as looking at their surroundings. "LET ME GO!" She demanded desperately.

"Miss Ceylin, you forgot your bag with the..." the grocery store door opened to reveal the same gentleman who had been helping Ceylin moments earlier. He approached the lawyer, frowning when he noticed what was happening outside. "Here it is," he handed her a lighter bag. "Is everything alright, miss?" He asked with suspicion, shifting his eyes from the beast of a man he hadn't seen before to the young woman's face.

"Yes, Mr. Can," Ceylin disentangled herself from the stranger with a jerky movement of her arm and took back her shopping bag, "can you help me get a cab?" She improvised, seeing in her captor's grimace that he was extremely annoyed to have his plans interrupted.

"Of course," the clerk helped her with her bags, "come with me, miss," he guided her, looking reproachfully at the man who stayed back. They had taken a few steps toward the grocery store when the old man whispered on the side of Ceylin's face, "do you need me to call the police?"

"No," she replied, forcing herself to remain calm and rational. Tears burned her eyes, and it felt like there was a huge lump in her throat, but she couldn't afford to lose her mind, "I'd really appreciate it if you could get me a cab, though, Mr. Can."

The man nodded, concerned, but did as the lawyer instructed and got her a car.

Ceylin was so frightened that she couldn't accept the idea of returning to her office and being alone while waiting for Ilgaz. Seeing that the ogre who had tried to kidnap her remained parked on the corner of the market, she gave the driver the address of the prosecutor's home.

The lawyer was still shivering when she closed the apartment's front door using the key Ilgaz had given her. Ceylin tried to control her shaky breaths as she dumped the shopping bags on the kitchen table and checked all the windows in the apartment.

She was terrified after what had happened, but what scared her the most was knowing that she had taken every precaution to ensure she wasn't being followed, and it hadn't been enough. Ceylin had no idea how those men had found out her whereabouts, and the vulnerability that the situation entailed was too much for her to bear.

Despite her state, she managed to send a text message to Ilgaz explaining that she had gone home. She knew he would disapprove of her decision to leave the office unaccompanied, and for a moment, she debated whether or not she should tell him about what had just happened.

Ceylin considered hiding the truth from the prosecutor to spare him. She knew Ilgaz would be as scared as he would be furious, but she doubted she could keep it a secret or pretend she was okay. Knowing Ilgaz, he would quickly realize her state of mind and reach the conclusion that something was up.

The forty minutes she waited alone for the prosecutor's arrival seemed like an eternity.

As soon as he walked through the door, Ceylin saw in his face that Ilgaz was prepared to lecture her. However, after seeing her expression of fear and guilt, the prosecutor frowned in confusion.

"Ceylin?" Ilgaz started tentatively. He had no idea why the lawyer had defied his order to remain in her office until he could pick her up, but he could see the terrified expression on her face. Something serious had happened. "Ceylin, what is it? Are you okay?"

"No," Ceylin answered in a choked voice.

It only took a split second after noticing his evident tone of concern and meeting Ilgaz's gentle gaze to shatter Ceylin's resolve to keep her composure. The lawyer impulsively put an end to the physical distance between them with three large strides and wrapped her arms around Ilgaz's neck, nearly suffocating him.

"Ceylin?" Ilgaz was taken aback by her attitude but did not pull away. He noticed she was shaking as he circled one arm around the lawyer's body. "What is it?" He asked with concern. "What happened?"

After seeing how much she struggled to answer his question, Ilgaz realized how scared Ceylin was. Instead of demanding an answer, the prosecutor tightened his grip around her, trying to convey with his body everything he couldn't express with words.

Ceylin closed her eyes in a futile attempt to hold back the tears that ran down her face. She hated breaking down like that, but she couldn't help it. Thinking about what might have happened if the friendly employee at the grocery store hadn't rescued her sent the lawyer into panic mode.

She just couldn't help but seek refuge. Ilgaz's embrace was the safest place in the world. It had always been that way for her, and Ceylin suspected it would always be.

"What happened?" Ilgaz repeated his question patiently and brought one of his hands to her hair, stroking it in an attempt to soothe her. "You're crying," he realized with a heavy heart. Nothing bothered him as much as seeing that shadow of sadness and fear in the eyes of the woman before him. More alarmed than before, Ilgaz heard himself begging for an explanation, "did someone hurt you? Did they do something to you?"

Ceylin shook her head in denial. She could practically see the relief on his face, but not for long as she started confessing.

"The man following me down the street that night I got into his car has returned, Ilgaz," Ceylin pulled away from him just enough to look into his eyes. "I'll tell you what happened."

The lawyer spent the next few minutes describing everything she had experienced from the moment she left her office. Ilgaz interrupted her only twice, both times to reinforce that going against their agreement to never go out alone had been a terrible idea.

"I don't know what to do anymore," Ceylin confessed, distraught. "I don't know what to think... Ilgaz, I swear on my own life. There was no one following me," the lawyer stated. She was sure of what she was saying. "And then, out of nowhere, this man magically appeared behind me. I have no idea how he got there."

Ceylin had just realized that no matter how cautious she was, she was still completely at the mercy of those who wanted to harm her. It was only a matter of time before they managed to get to her. Twice they nearly had, and she'd only gotten away by chance.

The lawyer knew how people like that operated. She seriously doubted they would allow the same mistake to be made a third time.

"I don't know how he got to you either, but we have to be practical and consider the obvious," Ilgaz replied rationally, "it is most likely that he was indeed following you the entire time, and you just failed to see it," the prosecutor considered, seeing in Ceylin's face that the possibility distressed her. "You wouldn't be the first to go through something like this, Ceylin," Ilgaz pointed out. "I know trained police officers who have failed to identify they were being followed. In the world of crime, there are men who specialize in guerrilla tactics. They are professionally trained; most of them come from the east," the prosecutor explained. "These guys are pros, and they are hired for specific purposes. I've stumbled across a handful of those in my career."

"The man did mention having a boss," Ceylin pondered. What Ilgaz was saying made a lot of sense.

The prosecutor nodded silently, convinced.

Hours later, after they had already eaten, Ceylin returned to the living room fresh out of the shower. Ilgaz noticed the still-damp hair that she had partially dried with a towel. The loose pajama pants and a T-shirt with the emblem of the university where she studied did a good job hiding the lawyer's slender body. But the short sleeves left her arm partially exposed.

Contrasting with Ceylin's very fair skin, Ilgaz could perfectly make out a purple bruise that he was sure hadn't been there the night before. Which certainly meant she'd gotten it that day.

The evidence was pretty obvious. The man who had tried to kidnap Ceylin had pulled her by the arm, and the attempt to take her by force had injured her body.

The emotional damage they'd caused was enough to drive Ilgaz mad, but seeing with his own eyes that they'd also injured her made the prosecutor feel a level of fury he wasn't even aware he possessed. He didn't know how, but he was sure that if he could get his hands on the guy who'd done that to Ceylin, Ilgaz would make sure the man never got to touch anyone else again.

He could see how frightened Ceylin was in the way she seemed to fear even her own shadow. They had spent most of the evening in silence, both absorbed in their own thoughts. At the first opportunity she got, Ceylin returned to the couch she had once considered a safe haven and covered herself up to her chin.

From the armchair where he sat with a cup of tea in his hand and a laptop on his lap, Ilgaz glanced at her. He hated that she was going through this. The realization only made him more determined to ensure that justice prevailed.

Figuring she wanted to rest, the prosecutor set the half-empty cup of tea on a small table next to the sofa and got up to go to his room to give Ceylin privacy.

Upon sensing his movements near her, the lawyer immediately opened her eyes.

"Are you turning in for the night?" she asked with widened eyes.

"Yes," Ilgaz shook his head. "I mean, I'm going to bed, but I still have some work to do," he pointed to the computer with his eyes.

"Can't you work here?" Ceylin asked hesitantly. She swallowed her tears and looked away sheepishly.

It was pretty clear to Ilgaz that, after the events of that day, Ceylin didn't want to be alone.

The prosecutor took a deep breath and let it out slowly. He would hate for her to realize how affected he was. He needed to look serene and calm, as he was the only one who could offer Ceylin some stability at that moment. As nervous and worried as he was, he couldn't afford to fail her. She was the one in need right now.

His own emotions could wait.

"I guess I could," Ilgaz replied casually, not sure that was actually a good idea, "but I don't want to disturb your rest."

Ceylin remained silent. Her eyes scanned all the furniture in the room before finally finding him again.

"Please, stay," she swallowed hard, making a huge effort to contain her emotions. Ilgaz settled back into the chair he had occupied, granting her wish without saying a single word. It wasn't until he had his laptop on his lap that Ceylin mustered up the courage to ask, "are you going to stay here until I fall asleep?"

Ilgaz immediately noticed that it wasn't a question but a request.

Moved, the prosecutor stared at her with loving eyes and didn't think twice before answering.

"Of course I will."

.

Ilgaz rubbed his eyes before noticing the digital marker on his computer. The clock showed that it was past two in the morning. Despite his tired body, his mind didn't show any signs of slowing down.

Earlier that night, he had witnessed how Ceylin was shaken by recent events. It was precisely because he didn't want to alarm her any further that he hadn't said a word about his current suspicions.

Ilgaz had spent all day in his office looking into the companies mentioned by Ceylin. His privileges in the justice system allowed him to check details that would not be easily accessible to a lawyer or a private investigator.

By now, Ilgaz had already learned to trust his instincts. He couldn't remember the last time they had failed him. It was precisely for that reason that, instead of making Lyra the focus of his investigation, the prosecutor decided to check out Tigris, the prominent law firm that had hired Ceylin soon after their divorce.

After a quick search through their records, Ilgaz had noticed something that disturbed him.

Over the past five years, two other lawyers had occupied Ceylin's position in the firm's corporate law division. According to employment records, the first guy had been fired after getting involved in an extramarital affair with another employee. The second lawyer had left after working with them for only nine months, apparently to take up a more prestigious position with a firm in Istanbul.

To Ilgaz's complete shock, he discovered that the two men were currently deceased. The first guy had been involved in a car accident, and the second had died of a massive heart attack.

Ilgaz knew that statistically, while possible, such events happening almost simultaneously were extremely unlikely. It was too much of a coincidence that both men were dead, and now Ceylin's life was at risk.

The prosecutor again averted his eyes in her direction, and his heart constricted with fear, longing, and the urge to keep her safe. Now that she was fast asleep, Ceylin's face had lost all traces of tension. She looked much more serene and peaceful than he knew she felt, and Ilgaz was startled to realize that he would not hesitate to do anything to ensure she was safe.

He was again reminded of the desperation on her face when he'd met her at home earlier that evening. Ilgaz had returned to his apartment determined to start an argument with her for leaving the office alone, but he'd quickly let his guard down after seeing how upset she was.

The prosecutor was in an awful situation. While he wanted to guarantee the lawyer's safety, he didn't want to scare her anymore. To do that, he had to guarantee that all possibilities were carefully looked at.

After reviewing the second lawyer's death records, Ilgaz noticed that, despite the death certificate listing acute myocardial infarction as the cause of death, the man had no history of cardiac disease listed in his medical history. There was also no autopsy report attached to the case file.

With a growing feeling that something was off, Ilgaz immediately requested an exhumation of the man's body. Now he waited for the legal bureaucracy to be processed so the body could be re-examined by a forensic pathologist. Even though it had been a little over two years since the lawyer's death, perhaps they could still extract some information from his mortal remains.

Ilgaz had seen a bit of everything during his time as a prosecutor. It would not be at all surprising for him if his investigations pointed out that the company that had hired Ceylin lived on a solid reputation but behind the scenes, represented corrupt clients linked to criminal activities.

The owner of Tigris, a greek businessman who owned several other businesses in Ankara, was notorious for always being around politicians and heads of criminal organizations. Ilgaz investigated him too and found that despite being the defendant in a handful of lawsuits and the subject of countless investigations, nothing had ever been proven against the man.

The prosecutor wanted to wait until he was sure of anything before sharing his suspicions with Ceylin. Things were bad enough for her as it was. He knew the lawyer already suspected that Tigris might be involved in a bigger scheme, but she would probably feel even worse if she found out she'd been used as a pawn by the firm.

Instead of helping to catch and punish corrupt companies as she had imagined, Ceylin had actually been helping to take down the political opponents of very powerful people by annihilating their competition.

Ilgaz imagined that the guys who occupied her position in the past had, at some point, become aware of the illicit operations of the companies they represented. Both men had no criminal records and never appeared to have been involved in any suspicious activity. Like Ceylin, they had probably left the company after discovering the truth.

And if Ilgaz had to guess, he'd bet that neither death was as accidental as they appeared to be.

But guesses and assumptions had no place in a legal courtroom. To prove anything and protect Ceylin, Ilgaz needed proof.

He would get it. Even if it meant working all day in his office and at night on his own computer.

For Ceylin, Ilgaz would go to any lengths.

Once again, he wouldn't stop until the truth came out.

.

Ceylin paced back and forth. She had already memorized how many steps it took to cross the living room of Ilgaz's apartment in every possible direction. She had also counted how many tiles there were on each bathroom wall several times.

As much as she tried to keep her mind busy, time just didn't seem to pass.

The lawyer hadn't gone to her office that day as she had nothing to do. She still had a few cases, but there was nothing urgent to be resolved. Under normal circumstances, Ceylin would work to actively acquire new clients, but given the risk of going out in the street, it was best to keep a low profile.

Ilgaz, on the other hand, was busier than usual with his own cases. That morning, the prosecutor would visit Lyra's headquarters to question the company's directors about the complaint against them.

Ceylin could barely contain her anxiety. She wanted to be on the front line, actively helping Ilgaz uncover the truth, but she didn't have the right to officially get involved in the investigation. The impotence she felt added to her discouragement.

The lawyer checked her cell phone every thirty seconds hoping that Ilgaz would call to update her. But when the device rang, it was Professor Sinan's image that appeared on the screen.

"Ceylin," the man spoke in a muffled voice as soon as the lawyer answered his video call, "are you alone?"

The lawyer took the phone into the living room, sat on the couch, and propped her computer on her legs.

"I am," she confirmed, trying to understand why her former boss continually checked his surroundings as if to make sure no one could see or hear him. "Is everything okay? Why are you speaking so low?"

"Listen, I don't have much time," Professor Sinan said between short breaths. "Ezel could come in at any minute, and I don't want her to hear what I'm going to tell you," the man checked around again and took a deep breath, apparently trying to pull himself together. "Ceylin, I said I'd look through the documents you sent me, and I did," he brought his face closer to the screen and whispered, "I've been going through old folders in the file room, and I think I found something," he blinked almost imperceptibly, implying that he had found valuable information. Then, a movement in the professor's background made him clear his throat and completely change his voice, acting casually. "As I was saying, share transfers can be an option to some extent. We'll need to meet in person in the near future to discuss the terms of the acquisition."

Ceylin heard a muffled sound behind her professor and understood he was no longer alone. Professor Sinan had used jargon to make it seem like he was talking to a client.

"I've sent all the terms we've discussed to your email," the man added suggestively.

Ceylin instantly knew what she had to do.

She nodded in gratitude, fearing that her former boss's secretary might recognize her voice if she tried talking.

The moment they finished the call, Ceylin accessed her email inbox. Her heart was in her throat, all of her senses awakened with the possibility of finding something concrete that could actively contribute to freeing her from the situation she was in.

In a few seconds, Ceylin finally got what she wanted.

The old documents scanned by Professor Sinan showed contracts and copies of conversations between Lyra's national directors and politicians from Ankara and Istanbul, mainly dealing with agreements for contracting public services that were suggestive of several irregularities. The files also mentioned Crux as one of the companies involved.

With her racing pulse and panting breaths, Ceylin pulled out her cell phone while she heard the documents sent by her former boss being printed.

Her first call to Ilgaz went to voicemail, so Ceylin assumed he was busy. After waiting for ten minutes which felt like an hour, the lawyer made two more unsuccessful attempts.

Feeling her little patience quickly running out, Ceylin tried Eren's cell phone, hoping that maybe he was in the prosecutor's company. Again, all she got was voicemail.

Without giving it another thought, Ceylin stuffed the files into a paper folder, haphazardly tossed her cell phone into her purse, and grabbed the set of keys she'd left in the living room.

.

Ceylin managed to remain calm during the taxi ride from Ilgaz's apartment to Lyra headquarters. She tried calling Ilgaz four more times with the same result.

The lawyer was on the verge of freaking out when she got off the vehicle and stared at the building she'd gone to.

Ceylin wasn't sure what she expected to find, but the opulence of the enormous construction caught her off guard. She narrowed her eyes to better examine her surroundings. Lyra's corporate headquarters was only three stories high, but the floors stretched for so long one could lose sight of them.

It looked like too big a building for a small company, but Ceylin thought the property could be shared with other companies. Shrugging, she walked toward the front desk.

Most people would have a hard time getting through security without identifying themselves or confirming a scheduled appointment, but with her charismatic personality and persuasive manner, Ceylin easily got around the receptionist by slipping through a group of employees returning to work from their lunch break. That step in the process was somewhat easy.

The really challenging part would be finding Ilgaz among the many departments in that huge building.

Ceylin knew the best way not to draw attention to herself was to act like she belonged there, and that's precisely what she did. The lawyer made a conscious effort to look like she knew her way around the place. She wandered through the corridors with the poise and confidence of someone who knew exactly where she was going.

As she moved from corridor to corridor, making her way through each of Lyra's floors, Ceylin kept mentally alert for any signs indicating where the directors' offices were.

She hadn't expected to find any familiar faces around, so Ceylin froze when she spotted the same middle-aged man with the distinctly white beard who had been inside the black car the night she'd been chased out on her way out of the police station.

Apparently, he hadn't seen her yet. But judging by how he walked through the corridors inspecting every corner, the man was looking for something.

Swallowing hard, Ceylin suddenly realized that there was a huge chance that something was her.

She had willing walked into her enemy's territory, putting herself directly at risk. The lawyer realized, perhaps too late, that she had acted impulsively in going to the company's headquarters, as the chances of finding Ilgaz in that enormous building were slim. She wasn't even sure if he was still there.

As she hurried down the hall, walking as quickly as possible without attracting attention, Ceylin wondered again how the man had located her.

She was sure that no one had followed the taxi she was in. She had also not presented any ID at the entrance. The only possibility she could think of was that someone had seen her face and recognized her through one of the security cameras, but that seemed like a long shot. As far as she knew, the people looking for her had been hired by Crux rather than by Lyra.

Ceylin moved through the halls as stealthily as she could, avoiding the man's gaze. She desperately looked for the exit, and it was on a curve in the main corridor of the company that she bumped into something solid and almost lost her balance.

The lawyer dropped her purse, her personal items scattered around the floor with a loud sound.

Ceylin could feel her heart in her throat. She looked up with panic in her eyes, but in a split second, all her fear dissolved when she saw Ilgaz's familiar features.

"Ceylin!" The prosecutor was startled by her unexpected presence. "For God's sake, what are you doing here?" He asked in a stern tone. "I can't believe you're wandering off alone again!"

Ceylin was so relieved to find Ilgaz that she could have hugged him. The lawyer gathered her belongings with his help and hurriedly explained what had brought her there and how she had recognized the known figure that seemed to be actively seeking her out.

As soon as she finished packing everything into her purse, Ilgaz tugged on her elbow, alarming the lawyer.

"Come with me," he whispered in a serious tone.

Ceylin swallowed hard as she realized he wasn't asking, but demanding.

Ilgaz didn't have time to elaborate, but while he listened to Ceylin's explanation, he had studied their surroundings. A few seconds were enough for the prosecutor to spot two cameras and notice that in addition to the white-bearded man described by Ceylin, another man dressed in employee clothes seemed to be looking for someone in the halls.

Both seemed as absorbed in their search as they were on their cell phone screens.

Quickly understanding what was happening, Ilgaz pulled Ceylin into a narrow corridor, trying to slip past the two guys.

"What are you waiting for?" Ceylin questioned him, distressed. "Why don't you arrest that guy?"

"On what grounds?" Ilgaz frowned grimly. "I have no justifiable reason to arrest the guy. And the last thing I need is having to focus my attention on him and risk letting you out of my sight. Or have you forgotten that there isn't just one guy?"

Ceylin sighed in frustration. As always, Ilgaz's careful rationality proved a better strategy than her impulsive reactions.

The prosecutor didn't have time to process what Ceylin proposed next because, out of the corner of his eye, he spotted some movement at the opposite end of the hallway.

Ilgaz was no rookie in his profession. He'd had his share of situations where the pride in wearing a badge had made him want to prevail over those who defied the law, leading to unadvisable decisions. But after more than a decade on the job, he had already learned to measure when it was safe to face the enemy head-on or when it was wiser to retreat.

The prosecutor knew that if he decided to confront the men chasing Ceylin, he would be risking her life and his own. There was always a chance they'd know he was a state employee, something that might deter guys from trying anything on him, but there was no way to guarantee Ceylin would be spared.

Anticipating that they would be cornered very soon, Ilgaz closed his fingers around Ceylin's wrist and opened the first door on their left.

It wasn't until they were inside that Ceylin realized they had entered the men's room.

"Ilgaz...!" she complained vehemently, but her protest was cut short by a massive hand covering her mouth.

"Shhh," Ilgaz silenced the lawyer, staring at her sternly, "come with me and don't say a word," he ordered, but he didn't remove his hand from Ceylin's mouth, as if he didn't trust her enough to be quiet and wanted to make sure the impulsive lawyer didn't compromise their safety. "They'll come here soon," the prosecutor predicted.

Then Ilgaz pulled her into one of the restroom stalls and locked the door.

Ceylin barely had time to make sense of the cramped space she was being forced to share with the prosecutor when, without any warning, Ilgaz hooked his hands behind her thighs and lifted her off her feet, pressing her body against the inside surface of the door.

The skirt Ceylin was wearing slid almost all the way up, exposing far more than would be appropriate in any setting other than a couple's bedroom.

The sound of the lawyer's small moan of surprise was muffled by Ilgaz's neck as the physical proximity between them practically prevented Ceylin from moving.

She now had her legs wrapped around his hips and could feel every inch of his chest and abdomen pressed firmly against hers. His face was so close that their breaths mixed.

"Ilgaz..." Ceylin felt a wave of heat spreading across her lower abdomen.

"Shhh," the prosecutor once again demanded.

The intense way his eyes stared into hers completely took Ceylin's breath away. Her dilated pupils betrayed her body's response. Try as she might, the lawyer couldn't hide it.

Ilgaz noticed the way Ceylin lightly moistened her lower lip with the tip of her tongue before lowering her eyes to his mouth. He grunted softly in response, tormented by his body's reactions. Before he could control it, one of his hands ran up the extension of the back of her thigh, squeezing her tightly against his touch.

Ceylin wanted to ask what was happening, but she heard the sound of muffled footsteps inside the bathroom, and it all immediately made sense.

Ilgaz had dragged her into the partition and lifted her legs so that anyone on the opposite side couldn't see her feet through the lower crack in the door. The prosecutor had pressed her against the flat surface to help conceal her presence, ensuring that she wouldn't be seen even if one of the intruders dared to peek through the lateral cracks where the hinges were located.

"Is there anyone here?" One of the men asked hoarsely before silencing the other. "We're closing this bathroom for repairs. The place has to be evacuated at once," he attempted, but his voice didn't sound very confident.

Ceylin raised her head and met Ilgaz's gaze. She was scared, which was pretty evident by her panting breaths, but Ilgaz looked perfectly composed and in control when he answered the men outside.

"You'll have to wait if you want to repair anything here, brother," the prosecutor used the same informal tone as the men, posing as a company employee. "I'm on my lunch break, and this it's my only peaceful hour of the day. You are not going to spoil it for me. I'm going to finish reading my paper before I leave."

The younger man chuckled but was promptly silenced by the older man's stern glare.

"Listen, brother, did you see a woman come in here?"

"A woman?" Ilgaz instilled indignation in his voice. "You are aware this is the men's room, aren't you?"

Ceylin couldn't make out the confusing talk of the two men outside as they discussed their next move. Ilgaz slowly lowered his gaze and met hers. He didn't need words to reassure her that everything would be all right. At the same time, he silently pleaded that she remain still and silent not to compromise their cover.

"Okay, brother, sorry to interrupt your reading," the younger guy gave up the act.

Before they left, Ilgaz still heard them mutter something about following her steps through the screen.

The prosecutor noticed that Ceylin shifted to change their position and immediately glared at her, increasing the pressure of his own body against hers to keep her trapped between him and the door.

"Not yet," Ilgaz whispered almost inaudibly, "they could be out there waiting."

Ceylin swallowed hard and nodded silently.

She couldn't tell what made her more nervous: the possibility of being caught by one of those men or the physical proximity to Ilgaz.

The prosecutor chose that exact moment to adjust their position. Ilgaz slid his hands on the back of her legs and used his long fingers to cup Ceylin's buttocks, preventing her from sliding down the surface of the door. His thumb inadvertently brushed on the elastic band of her panties at the same time Ceylin felt the reaction of his body pressed hard against her lower abdomen.

A new wave of heat shot through all Ceylin's body. That was one of the most erotic situations she had ever experienced.

It had been a long time since she'd felt Ilgaz's body pressed so firmly against hers. The only difference was that, in previous times, there hadn't been a barrier of clothes between them.

Thinking about that made Ceylin even more agitated.

But even without direct contact with Ilgaz's skin, the lawyer could feel the steady rhythm of the prosecutor's heartbeat. Ceylin closed her eyes, doing her best to contain the urges of her body. Her arms were wrapped around Ilgaz's shoulders, and she was clinging to him as if her life depended on it.

Her face was practically glued to his neck... The desire to feel the texture of the prosecutor's skin with her lips was robbing her capacity to think clearly.

Trying to push away the temptation, the lawyer tilted her head slightly and forced herself to face the man who occupied most of her thoughts.

"Did you notice those guys were looking at something on their phones?"

"Yes," Ilgaz confirmed, satisfied that she had noticed the same thing.

"It was the security camera, wasn't it?" Ceylin sighed, dejected. "That's how they control my steps? It's probably why they can appear so randomly anywhere."

"No," Ilgaz stated with authority. He saw the confusion in the lawyer's eyes and clarified, "I thought so too initially, but it can't be. They can't control all the cameras in Istanbul to follow your every step."

"So how do they do it?" Ceylin was surprised. It was obvious to her that Ilgaz had a theory. "How do they seem to know where I am and seem to magically appear whenever they want?"

"I'll tell you my suspicion as soon as we get out of here, and then we'll confirm it," the prosecutor spoke mysteriously.

Ceylin was about to protest and demand that he share his thoughts with her, but the unbearably loud sound of a siren outside startled them both.

"It's the fire alarm," the lawyer realized, distressed. "Do you think it could just be a training exercise, or could there actually be a fire in the building?"

Ilgaz's intuition said this was probably a trap. The men must have known that Ceylin was hiding in the building and were trying at all costs to force her out. Ilgaz had no idea if there were only two of them or if others were helping the pair.

Whatever it was, they couldn't stay in that restroom any longer. Despite his hunch, Ilgaz couldn't be one hundred percent sure they were safe inside. If there really was an emergency somewhere in the building, he would never forgive himself for risking Ceylin's safety.

Ilgaz reluctantly let go of the lawyer's body and gently allowed her to plant her feet on the ground. His body protested the loss of contact with hers, but the prosecutor didn't allow himself to focus on such sensations for long.

"Put this on," he removed his suit jacket and helped Ceylin get into it. "We'll try to cover you as much as possible," Ilgaz nodded in approval when he saw the piece engulf Ceylin's delicate figure. "Once we're out, don't stop for nothing, okay?" He looked the lawyer straight in the eyes. "Don't let go of my hand, don't stop to talk to anyone," Ilgaz instructed her, watching Ceylin nod in agreement. "We'll head straight to my car. If you think we're being followed, pick up the pace but don't run or do anything that makes it obvious that you're the one they're looking for. A large flow of employees will likely be evacuating the building after the fire alarm. Let's try camouflaging among them to get to the parking lot."

Ceylin agreed to the plan immediately. Her heart was pounding inside her chest, but she didn't give herself a chance to overthink. The lawyer knew Ilgaz's plan was their best chance of getting out of there unscathed.

Before she could say anything, Ilgaz slipped through the door and quickly checked the hall before allowing Ceylin to follow him outside.

The prosecutor walked nimbly through the halls, mixing with the first group of people he saw. Despite Ilgaz's instructions, Ceylin couldn't help but glance over her shoulder a few times, terrified that they were being followed without her noticing.

Only when they were out the front door did Ceylin allow herself to let out the breath she had been holding. For the first time since entering that building, she felt like she had a chance to walk away safely.

Due to the premature relief she experienced, Ceylin allowed herself to let her guard down for a split second, and because of that, she didn't see the man in a dark coat approaching her from behind.

Despite the lawyer's fleeting distraction, Ilgaz kept an eye on every angle at all times. He noticed the guy casually walking amidst the staff behind them, getting closer with each step he took.

The prosecutor and the lawyer were only a few meters from the car when Ilgaz sensed the stranger's imminent attack.

Before Ceylin realized what was happening, Ilgaz wrapped an arm around her waist to get her out of harm's way, unconsciously shielding her with his body.

Upon doing that, he put himself directly in the aim of the guy who'd been stalking the lawyer for the past few minutes.

The guy walked past them just as Ilgaz positioned himself around Ceylin. As the two men bumped into each other, Ilgaz felt a sharp pressure in his lower abdomen, quick enough that he didn't take his eyes off the man but intense enough for the prosecutor to wince in pain.

And it was only after the man had already disappeared from sight among the crowd rushing out of the building that Ilgaz looked down at his body, watching a red mark grow bigger, staining his white shirt with blood on the exact spot he had just been stabbed.

—-

The season of "But, Orion, where is chapter 6? I need it now!" is officially open 😂

So, does anyone care to share their guess? If not the cameras, what is Ilgaz's theory to explain why Ceylin is always found by her stalkers?

Will our Savci be okay? 🔪🔪🔪 Does he live? Does he die?

I know Sema is postponing this plot, so someone had to do something about it 😂

Just kidding... I'll be back soon!

If you can leave me a star, I'll love to get it. And if you have something to say, I will love to hear it (in this case, read it) 🤍

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

20K 524 18
Y/n was living a normal life. Due to an accident, she doesn't really remember her childhood. She always thought that she was normal. That all turned...
163K 5.3K 28
Y/N finds herself in a deep hole when her parents request her of something that she had feared for a long time. and her life makes a complete one-eig...
20.3K 2.7K 27
Part 2 of " The Return Home Series" Seven years they had been apart. The most challenging years of their lives. A new beginning for Sanem Aydin in Ga...
27.9K 768 15
An #EsZan AU. From old-friends to room-mates to lovers. #EsraErten #OzanKorfali #AşkMantıkIntikam