Never Without You │ BOTW mode...

By Finnclarkson

A relationship between an internationally praised athlete and a straight A student who hates any kind of atte... More

Quick Welcome Back!
Different
Your Fault
One More Day
Just the Two of Us
Broken
I Had So Many Reasons
Birthday Candles
Make a Wish
Tell Me Everything's Fine
Expelled
The Heart of Hyrule
Consequences
A One-Time Thing
Drunk
No Means No
Fool
I Do
You
A Good Day
Do It Again
Happiness
There's Nothing Wrong With Being a Virgin
A Dead Sparrow On The Pavement
Hey
Overthinking is a Waste of Time
Letting Go and Moving On
3F
Aryll
よろしくおねがいします
宮本リンク
みらい
おやすみ
コンビニ
ルト
過去
新しい関係と古い傷跡
立ち呑みやま
祇園 小森
Hero
Good Person
Bad Person
Breaking Up
I haven't been honest about Ruto
All the Things that Hurt Us
Breath of the Wild
Mount Lanayru
Slumbering Power
Just Feel
Never Without You
While We Were Gone
Hyrule University vs. Karusa Valley
You and Me, No Lovers
A Smile on Revali's Sour Face
Kiroh
Taking a Shower
Can't Always Get What You Want
Homeless
Another Smiley Face on the Glass
Mía
Death Wish
Not Safe
Prison
Consent
Taking a Life
Already dead
Everything I Do is For Us
I'm Not Going Anywhere
If you could snap your fingers and make it all go away
Flowers and Chocolate
Bus Stop
Deku
I Vowed to Protect Your Daughter
We're Not Friends
Temptation
Nobody to Blame
Love Can Take Many Forms
Therapy
A Complex Puzzle
Lemonade
Shad
Bonfire
When She Gives Her Heart to Him, She Breaks My Heart in Two
The Crying of Lot 49
Eternal Riddler
Ramses
Game of Doors
Brothers
We Are Getting Married
Bumblebee
Tennis Ball
I Made Sure of That
Thanksgiving
Just For One Night

夏祭り

5.9K 109 539
By Finnclarkson

Hey guys! There's a little surprise for you at the end of this chapter. Those of you who've been following me for a while might remember the artwork ;) Ever since I made that drawing, I've been excited to post these Japan chapter! Hope you enjoy it as much as I enjoy reading your reactions hahah <3 

----

Another hot summer day in Japan. It's the weekend and I feel like I have finally adjusted to the time zone, diet, and high temperatures. I've even learned a couple of simple phrases in Japanese like How are you?, Nice to meet you, Excuse me, and Thank you. Not enough to communicate with Link's mother, but good enough to thank her for dinner.

"Itadakimasu," I say, hands folded in front of me. I'm proud of that one. We say it every time we eat, and when we are done, we say gochisousama deshita.

"Itadakimasu," the others say and start eating.

Link's dad has joined us for dinner tonight, he just got back from the uncle's house in the mountains. He's only staying for one night though, then he'll head back. He truly is a very hardworking, dedicated, and family-oriented man. I can see all his good qualities in Link.

"So, Link show you school?" the father asks me cheerfully. I have to think about what he is trying to say before I can answer.

"Yes, he showed me around Kyoto last week and we stopped by his old high school," I smile. I love being able to talk to Link's father.

"Good. The weekend after this week, visit Tsumago."

I look at Link for help but he's busy devouring his food. I return my eyes to the sweet man in front of me.

"What is Tsumago?" I ask.

The father looks surprised and hauls some words at Link. I don't understand a single word but Link looks defensive.

"I did tell her about Tsumago," Link claims. "I just didn't tell her what it's called." He turns toward me, mouth full of food. "Tsumago is where my uncle lives."

"Ah," I nod at the father. "Yes, Link told me about that place. You want us to visit?"

"Yes, yes, stay there. Very beautiful. Quiet."

The grandma joins in with a smile. "Tsumago wa hontou ni mahou no youna basho desu."

"Beautiful," Link translates in one word.

"I can imagine," I say, offering the family a friendly smile. "We are attending the summer festival tomorrow night, and on Monday Link is starting his job. But we could come visit next weekend." I look at Link. "What do you think?"

"Mhm," he nods in agreement, pushing more food in his mouth than can fit.

"Sama fesutiwaru?" his mother now joins, trying her best to understand the English parts.

I vaguely remember what the festival was called, and determined to help her understand what we are talking about, I attempt to pronounce, "Matsu Matsu." But I can tell I butchered that by the looks of their faces.

"Natsumatsuri," Link corrects me carefree.

"Natsumatsui!" Her mother gushes and speaks to her son in excitement.

"She says you can wear her yukata," Link tells me.

"The traditional clothing," I recall. "Would that really be alright?"

"Sure, she offered," Link confirms. "She'd be happy if you wore them."

"I'll gladly accept the offer!"

"You'll look cute," he says and gives my leg a gentle squeeze under the table, making me smile. He turns to his little sister and asks her in English, "Aryll, are you coming too?" There goes my smile.

When she gives her big brother a nod, she unintentionally reveals to me that she does understand English. But how much does she understand?

"Are you going to wear a yukata as well?" I ask her but don't receive an answer. Why do I even bother?

After dinner, Link and I say goodbye to his father and wish the family a good night before getting ready for bed. Having brushed our teeth and taken baths to rinse off, we're back to his room. The humidity is awful. I can't wait to return to AC. Link reads my mind and turns on the fan next to his desk.

"What time are we leaving tomorrow?" I ask him while he's changing.

"We can leave in the afternoon. It's a 3-hour journey to Fukuoka and most of the events start in the evening."

"Will you dress traditionally?"

"Do you want me to?" He doesn't seem too excited about the idea. "It's more common for girls."

I give him a reassuring smile. "Just wear something you'll be comfortable in then."

He gives me a kiss goodnight and turns off the lights.

"Oyasumi," I say confidently and repeat natsumatsuri in my head until I fall asleep.

✤ ✤ ✤

The next morning, we get ready for natsumatsuri. I remember that name now!

Link's mother has already prepared the clothing for Aryll and I and is currently styling her daughter's hair in front of a small mirror in the living room. Once she's done with Aryll, she helps me with my yukata and shows me how to tie the obi. Without understanding much Japanese, I can follow her instructions and know how to tie a decorative knot with the remaining length of the obi.

The mother points at the stairs, says something about Link, and then leaves to head upstairs. I'm assuming she's going to get him.

When Aryll turns around, she looks at me in shock. Insecurities start flushing over me and I instantly look down to find whatever is wrong with my yukata.

"So pretty," she whales to my surprise.

Confused and a bit flustered, I return the compliment. "You look really pretty too."

That must have been the first time she spoke to me without a territorial tone. She looks at herself again and almost starts tearing up. I don't know how to handle kids and have no idea how to comfort her.

She looks at her bow and opens it up to tie it all over again. After a couple of failed attempts, I walk up to her and offer my help. At first she declines but after she fails to fix her bow for the 10th time, she hesitantly allows me to tie it for her, and when she sees the result in the mirror, her cheeks take on the same color of the red flowers on her blue yukata.

"Arrigatou," she whispers, staring at the bow in awe. Back to Japanese, huh?

"You're welcome," I say in English, knowing she understands it.

"Woah," Link's voice startles us and we both turn toward the stairs. "You look beautiful."

"Which one?" I tease him.

"Both," he says, cheeks as flushed as those of his little sister.

Link is wearing a hoodie and shorts. As my eyes travel down to his sneakers, I notice the black brace around his knee.

"Are you in pain?" I ask concerned.

"No but we'll be walking a lot today so I want to give my leg some support."

"That's wise."

"Thanks."

"Are you sure this is a good idea to go with your knee and back and all?"

"Don't worry. I'll be fine."

"Are you sure?"

"Yes. Thanks for caring but I'll be okay."

"You know yourself best," I say and grab my bag.

Link takes Aryll by her hand as we walk to the train station. I thought the layers of clothing would be a hassle in the heat, but on the contrary, the yukata is actually lightweight and keeps me cool throughout the walk. I'm glad the temperatures are merciful today but even just thinking about walking all day exhausts me.

At least we get to sit for most of the train ride. It's not too busy today and by looking at the landscapes on our way down to Fukuoka, time passes fairly quickly. Link snoozes through most of it. Aryll and I on the other hand enjoy the beauty of nature.

As the train passes through Okayama Prefecture, we are able to catch glimpses of the Seto Inland Sea, a beautiful body of water dotted with small islands. Traveling further south, we spot Mount Aso, surrounded by lush green forests.

"One of the largest volcanoes in Japan," Aryll tells me.

"Your English is so good," I note impressed.

She nods confidently. "When I grow up, I go to America like Onii-chan!"

I'm so shocked that she's talking to me that I don't know what to say in return. I just offer her a smile of alliance and hope she'll stay this sweet for the rest of the trip.

As the train approaches Fukuoka Prefecture, we cross over the Yabegawa River. Its surrounding hills are ablaze with all shades of summer.

"What's that?" I ask Aryll, pointing at a peculiar building in the distance.

"Nanzoin," she says.

"What is it over there?"

"Mhh..." She ponders. "Tera?"

"What?"

She folds her hands and... prays?

"Oh, is it like a church? I mean, a shrine? A temple?" I try to guess.

"Hai! Temperu!"

I google it on my phone. She leans over to look at the article on the screen, so I decide to read it to her. "Nanzoin temple is a famous Buddhist temple, located in Sasaguri, Fukuoka." Wait, Fukuoka? I look at her. "So we are almost at our destination!" Then I continue to read. "The temple is known for its massive reclining Buddha statue, which is one of the largest in the world."

Japan is so beautiful. I really can't compare it to California. It'll be odd going back to North American culture. But I will adjust within a day, if not hours. I can't imagine how difficult it must have been for Link and Mipha to adjust to all the changes.

I wake Link gently when the train comes to a halt. He looks well-rested now but his cheek has a mark from sleeping on my shoulder. Too bad he missed all the beautiful sights but I'm sure he's seen them plenty of times when traveling for his career.

"No way it's been 3 hours already," he says confused, rubbing his eyes awake.

"You time-traveled, welcome to the future," I joke.

We get off the train at the JR Hakata Station and start walking toward the festival. The closer we get, the more people I see in yukata. As we approach the festival grounds, I notice the vibrant colors of the festival banners and decorations lining the streets. The atmosphere is buzzing with excitement and anticipation.

The natural lighting is breathtaking. We arrived during the golden hour. Just as the sun is setting, the streets are coming alive with light and sound. I bring up my phone to take pictures of Link and Aryll, walking toward the festival in a warm orange light.

It doesn't take long for Link to get recognized. A lot of people glance at him, some even turn their head as they pass by and begin to whisper to each other. Link ignores them. I don't. I turn my head as boldly as them and stare them down. That's right, keep walking!

Of course the first thing Link wants to explore is the food stalls that are set up around the festival grounds. They are offering a wide variety of traditional Japanese cuisine.

"What is takoyaki?" I ask Link.

"Octopus balls."

"What about yakitori?"

"Grilled chicken skewers."

"And what exactly are you looking to eat?"

"Shaved ice," he tells me, water practically drooling from his mouth.

"Miyamoto-san," someone stops us. It's a group of high schoolers. One of them gives a quick bow to Link and speaks to him in an excited tone, holding out her phone. "Shashin wo torasete itadakemasuka? Kudasai!"

Hey, I actually understood some of it. She is asking for something and by looking at the phone in her hand she is either asking for his number or a picture. When he nods, I know it's the ladder. He looks at me to make sure it's okay with me. I return a smile.

"Let me take the photo," I offer.

The girl hands me the phone and positions herself next to Link with the other girls to his other side. She wraps her arms around his and moves closer. He stands still with a neutral expression on his face. If I could count down in Japanese, I would. But due to the language barrier, I just take a bunch of snapshots.

With my eyes aimed at the phone, I continue to press the button until one of the photos catches a kiss. I stop taking pictures and look up from the phone.

Seriously? In front of his girlfriend? Does nobody respect our relationship?

Link looks flustered and takes a step away from the girls as he rubs his cheek. They're giggling bashfully and are asking for the phone back. Oh how I would love to smash that thing right now. I return the phone to the girl who just kissed my boyfriend's cheek right in front of me and accept her bow of gratitude as I look down on her.

Before I lose my cool, I remind myself that Link is a celebrity and that this is what it's like. Aryll looks more appalled than me, which actually motivates me to remain understanding and collected.

"You okay?" Link asks once the girls have left.

"Why wouldn't I be?"

"I uh... I didn't know she was gonna–"

"I know," I assure him. "I understand." When his concerns remain, I give him a comforting smile. "I promise, it's okay. It's not your fault. I won't flip out like last time. It was just a kiss on the cheek anyway. I just feel bad for you. Having to deal with that all the time must be very draining. Besides, that right there was technically sexual assault."

"What?" Now he looks even more concerned.

"It's not fair that people often make a bigger deal out of personal space violations when a woman is involved, while men's boundaries are sometimes disregarded or overlooked. Your personal space and boundaries should be just as respected as those of any woman. Just because you're a man and a celebrity doesn't mean that anyone can just come up to you and do whatever they please. What I'm trying to say is, please don't hesitate to stand up for yourself and make it clear if anyone ever crosses your boundaries or makes you feel uncomfortable. Your comfort and well-being are important, and you have every right to protect them."

His smile has returned but instead of answering verbally, he pulls me in for a kiss.

"I love you," he say.

"I..."

"Uwa!" Aryll voices her discomfort with a gag. Link chuckles at her reaction, propelled to give me another, bigger smooch.

Suddenly, her focus shifts to the sounds of traditional Japanese music and her eyes grow big.

"Awa Odori!" Aryll exclaims with a smile, mesmerized by dancers in colorful and lively costumes.

"Do you dance?" I ask her but she doesn't answer. Are we back to ignoring each other?

We continue on through a crowded alley crowned by lanterns. The sun has set now and the stars are crystal clear on a dark backdrop. What a sight. This reminds me, I should be taking more pictures.

With my phone, I try to capture as many memories as possible. Games and activities are offered for both children and adults. Some of the games seem similar to those at carnivals in America, just the design is a bit different.

I'm glad I finally have some cash. Who knew so many places in Japan didn't accept cards? I buy an attempt for one of the games and let Link try his hand at goldfish scooping.

"Did I ever tell you how I swallowed a goldfish when I was a kid?" He asks, following the little fish with his eyes.

"You're kidding, right?"

"It was a dare."

"Yuck, Link!"

"It was tiny! And also, I was 8," he laughs.

"That's not an excuse!"

"Age is never an excuse, huh?" He chuckles, hinting at something else.

"What do you mean?"

"Eh, nothing," he mutters with a sharp focus on the game. "Gotcha!"

He catches a goldfish and shows it to me with a wide grin. Aryll applauds him but he decides to put it back into the water, knowing how I feel about animal captivity. Although I'm sure these fish would be better off in Link's care.

I try my luck at ring tossing but lose in every way possible. Meanwhile, Aryll goes all out shooting balloons with a toy gun. She gives me a smirk when she pierces and pops the balloon with perfect aim.

"Good job," I laugh nervously. Can kids smell fear?

As we progress through the alleys and up the stairs, I see a lot of people in traditional clothing. All these different yukatas and their hairstyles are really beautiful. I'm taken aback by Japan's culture. I hope my phone doesn't run out of space, I've been taking so many pictures and videos in the past hour.

"How you liking it?" Link asks joyfully.

"I love it," I whisper in awe and hold on to his hand as we continue walking.

This truly is a wonderful day. I am enjoying myself and finding beauty wherever I look. Definitely something to write about in my journal. I feel like I'm finally a part of this culture. Even if it's just a tiny little bit.

With all these colorful decorations, lanterns, and the starry sky aloft, perhaps tonight is the perfect time for my first I love you. If I can find a private moment with Link, I think I will finally say those words to him. The thought of confessing my feelings makes me nervous and excited at the same time!

When a couple of hours have passed already, we finally stop for food. I can't believe Link lasted this long without eating.

"How is your knee?" I ask as he adjusts the brace.

"It's great," he says. I hope he's telling the truth. "Just a bit sweaty." Oh. At least it's just that. He looks up at me with an apologetic expression. "TMI?"

When he returns to my height, I give him a kiss on the cheek and shake my head no.

"What do you want to eat?" He asks his little sister while I take a look around to see what these food stalls have to offer.

"Gyoza," Aryll answers, pointing at a nearby stall.

"What about you, beautiful?" Link asks me.

"Er.... Any recommendations?"

"Sure. The okonomiyaki is pretty good. Do you like cabbage?"

"I don't mind it."

"Alright then. It's on me."

"No," I step forward and bring up my wallet. "Tonight is on me. I finally carry cash and I intend to use it while I'm here. I want to try to order myself too. Would you teach me the words I have to say?"

Gladly, Link provides me with the information I need to order. I still butcher the whole thing and end up pointing at what I want. It's official, next semester I'm taking Japanese.

As the food is handed to me, a girl's voice sounds behind me.

"Miya-kun?" she gasps.

I turn around, food in hand. A pretty and daintily girl in a turquoise yukata is embracing Link in a hug. At first I thought she was a fan but the way she is hugging him seems more intimate than that of a stranger. When Link hugs her back, I know for certain that she is more than that. 

---

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

30.3K 677 41
I made a mistake. It's true. But I'm working to be a better person, for myself, for my friends and for my family. But being a teenage screw up and in...
79K 851 22
The title is self-explanatory, but this book will contain writing prompts like 'Getting stuck on a ferris wheel' and 'Cooking while drunk.' The inspi...
18.5K 123 12
what happens when two so called enemies get drunk one night and it changes their lives forever? Do they become lovers? Do they agree on forgetting ab...
IMAGINES By Alexein

Teen Fiction

549K 5.1K 66
𝕁𝕦𝕤𝕥 𝕤𝕠𝕞𝕖 𝕔𝕣𝕦𝕤𝕙/𝕓𝕠𝕪𝕗𝕣𝕚𝕖𝕟𝕕 𝕚𝕞𝕒𝕘𝕚𝕟𝕖𝕤 ❤❤ - Are you single? Taken? Read this, this one's for you ... If you have REQUESTS...