A Dangerous Desire

By Your_everyday_wr1t3r

Deathbringer Black, an all-time trained assassin is put to the test when he's assigned to kill Grandeur Brigh... More

Prologue
1| Coffee Shop
3| Distractions
4| Suspicions
5| Time
6| The Truth
7| Act
8| Secrets
9| Rules Are Meant To Be Broken
10| Game On
11| The Flawless and Flawed
12| Right This Second
13| Conflicts & Conflicts
14| Slow & Steady Wins the Race
15| Death Around The Corner

2| The Pretend Game

267 5 3
By Your_everyday_wr1t3r

<Deathbringer>

"So?" Morrowseer demanded as I sat down in that damned chair. "What have you picked up from her so far?"

I felt my palms start to sweat with nerves once again. I knew my mother was in the room next to me, starved and on the verge of dying if I didn't fulfill my task.

At the same time, I knew it was my fault this was all happening to begin with.

"She seems to have slight trust issues," I reported, trying not to let my voice quiver. "She's hard to get a read on. Her body language says one thing while her words are saying the complete opposite. Of course, she could just be covering up how she really feels." I found myself thinking intently about Glory and her green eyes. "She's very fascinating, and I often–"

"Have you talked to her?" Morrowseer interrupted, clearly not interested in what I had to say. I briefly nodded and he continued talking. "Is she getting fond of you?"

"Um... Maybe?" I said, wondering if she was. She most certainly did not show any signs of it. "I'm not sure. Like I said, she's hard to get a read on, so it'll be difficult to–"

"Well, make it work!" Morrosweer grumbled. "I'm shortening your time to three months. Get into her house and send me a picture, just so I can make sure you know how to follow orders."

I clamped my mouth shut, narrowing my eyes. This was a game to him. A way to get at me for wanting to leave his cruel organization. And now, because of me, my mother's life is in jeopardy.

"Is there something you'd like to say?" Morrowseer asked, noticing the grim look I had plastered onto my face. I pulled my gaze to the floor and shook my head. "Good," he spat. "The sooner you kill Grandeur, the sooner you'll be able to see your mother. You're due back here in a week with more promising information. Am I clear?"

"Crystal," I muttered.

"*"

Her window was opened, letting the fall breeze enter her room. She was laying on her back on her bed, on a FaceTime call with Tsunami. Her hair was in a messy bun and she was in her green pajamas, seeming calm and at peace.

Time to ruin that.

"Alright, well, if you're just going to sit here and talk about Riptide all night, I'll just see you tomorrow," Glory said as she sat up.

"Fine," Tsunami said with a sigh. "See you tomorrow, Glory. Love you."

"Love you, too," Glory responded before hanging up.

I took that as an opportunity to climb in through her open window.

She didn't notice me at first until she heard my feet thumping onto her carpeted floor. She froze before whirling around and narrowing her eyes at the sight of me.

"You," she spat. "What are you doing here?"

I gave her my signature grin. "Missed me?"

"I hardly know you!" she cried walking forward and shoving me backward towards the window. "Get out!"

"Glory?" called a voice from outside her room. A small figure very slowly walked into her room, her eyes lifting to meet mine. "Who's this?" I finally realized that this was Grandeur.

But she looks so..? She doesn't seem like the type to stand against an organization, so what does Morrowseer really want her dead for?

Glory's eyes seemed terrified as she quickly stammered a response. "H-he's my boyfriend," she lied. I found myself startled into meeting her gaze. Her glare clearly said: Don't you dare say a word.

"Oh!" Grandeur's eyes lit up. "The one you've been telling me about? Hailstorm, was it?"

Glory winced as her positive expression faltered.

Interesting.

"No, Ma," she said, reaching over and taking my arm. "He's dead to me. This is Deathbringer." She debated on it for a minute before resting her head on my arm to rest her case with a painful sigh.

"Aw, he's cute," Grandeur as she gave me a sincere smile.

God, I really don't want to have to kill her.

Oh well.

I chuckled. "It's nice to finally meet you, Miss Bright," I said respectfully as I reached over and shook her hand. "Glory talks about you a lot, you know. You seem like a great mother." I felt Glory's grip on me tighten.

"Is that so?" Grandeur asked, sending Glory a cheeky smile. "Well, I'll go make you guys some tea if that's okay with you." She sent me one last look of appreciation before turning around and heading out of Glory's room. Glory kept the smile on her face until the door closed behind Grandeur.

She almost instantly shoved me off of her, catching me off guard.

Once I righted myself, I sent her a grin. "Boyfriend, huh?"

"Just momentarily," she growled. "At least until I tell her you dumped me because I wasn't 'good enough.'"

"I wouldn't do that," I said in an amused tone, partly sympathetically.

"Right," she said harshly. "And now you can't leave because my mom apparently likes you."

"I mean, who wouldn't?" I asked, flexing my muscles before plopping down onto her bed. There was a desk at the far corner of her room and the pillows on her bed were aligned neatly. "I'm just too lovable."

"What's your problem with me, anyway?" she demanded, keeping a firm glare on me. "Ever since you came here, it's like you're obsessed with me. What do you want?"

I regarded her for a moment, slightly tilting my head. "Possibly a... friend."

Or much more.

I almost immediately stomped down that thought until it was nonexistent.

She scoffed. "You have a weird way of asking for it." She crossed her arms. "And there are a bunch of other people in our school. Go and bother them."

I gave her a cheeky grin. "I'd rather bother you. Besides, you are much more interesting than all the other people. Hailstorm is a selfish narcissist who only cares about himself, and all the girls who have approached me are brainless slugs."

I wasn't lying. They were all easy and desperate–the complete opposite of Glory. I liked that about her. She gave me a challenge.

But I'm not here for that, I reminded myself. I'm supposed to be focusing on trying to set my mother free. Her life is in my hands, and the longer I spend trying to connect with Glory, the more I'm toying with Quickstrike's life. I have to focus on my one goal: killing Grandeur.

"Tell me about it," Glory snorted as she rolled her eyes. "I'd be so justified to just stab a pencil into his eye right now."

I let out a laugh, which seemed to startle her.

"You should really go," she said after a moment, not meeting my eyes.

"But I want to get to know you," I said. "Besides, it's not like I have anywhere to be right now."

"Glory!" Grandeur called from downstairs. "The tea is ready. Bring your boyfriend!"

Glory growled. "You're lucky I love my mother." She paused. "And that I'm a good actor. Just play along." She walked out of her room before me, and I took that as an opportunity to snap a quick picture of her bedroom.

I quickly followed her downstairs, and as we got into an eye-shot, she quickly entangled her hands with mine. Her palm was warm against mine and she plastered on a fake smile.

She's trying to make it believable.

I would be lying if I were to say that I didn't enjoy this. I felt myself get lost in her beauty that I didn't hear it when Grandeur asked how I was.

"She asked you a question," Glory hissed to me as she nudged me.

"Oh, I'm great," I quickly answered. "Especially with Glory. I just feel happier now." I heard Glory let out a scoff but she quickly pretended like she was all over me, too.

"Likewise," she said before pulling away and sitting on the island in her kitchen. I sat down next to her. "It's just amazing. I'm so happy and wonderful and everything's just great."

"Some actor you are," I whispered to Glory, who bristled at my closeness but didn't move away.

"So," Grandeur said as she sat down in front of both of us, her hair thin and pale as it swished side to side. She slid two cups of coffee in front of us. "How serious is it? You're both graduating high school this year, so marriage could definitely be an option."

Glory and I exchanged a glance.

"Oh," she quickly stammered. "It isn't too serious, Ma. Just... a good amount."

"But look at him, boo!" Grandeur said. "He's gorgeous! And he seems to really love you! He could propose now and you guys could get married in the summer. I would be really happy to see that you're living a far better life than I ever could."

Wow, she was really dragging it.

"We're thinking about it," I quickly interjected, ignoring the kick Glory gave me under the island. "We're not sure or financially stable for it yet, but it is an option."

"Mh-hm," Glory hummed painfully, her jaw clenching. "Marriage. Isn't it such a wonderful thing?"

"Absolutely!" Grandeur cried as Glory took a quiet sip from her tea. "Oh, wow! I can already see myself helping you pick out baby clothes!"

Glory choked on her tea as I laughed nervously.

What a... fascinating mother.

"Oh–no," Glory quickly said when she was able to breathe again. "It hasn't come to that yet, Ma."

"But, wouldn't our kids look so adorable?" I asked, knowing exactly what I was doing. Glory sent me a glare. A smirk danced on my lips. "Right, babe?"

She gave me the fakest of smiles. "We haven't discussed that yet, babe."

"Oh, I can't wait!" Grandeur said with a dreamy smile. I took a sip from my tea, regarding Grandeur for a moment.

"Sorry, Mom, but can my boyfriend and I have a quick private chat?" Glory asked as she stood up. Grandeur gave her a dismissive nod as she seemed to zone out in a daydream.

"What are you doing?" Glory hissed, smacking my arm when we got away from Grandeur. She was angry now.

"What?" I asked a little too innocently. "I'm just being a good actor."

"Stop getting her hopes up!" Glory cried. "Now how am I supposed to 'break up' with you without her getting devastated?"

"Simple answer: don't," I said with a cheeky grin, to which she groaned as she rolled her eyes in annoyance. "Oh, come on. It wouldn't be so bad dating me. I could make it really fun for you, and I'd treat you well."

Her eyes narrowed at that. "Deathbringer, for the last time, I don't even know you! I only decided to pretend you were my boyfriend because I want her to be happy! She's obsessed with my love life for some reason."

I studied her face for a moment, taking note of how her eyes were menacing and how her fists were clenched. "This doesn't have to be pretend," I whispered, reaching forward to take a hold of her hands, but she just recoiled as if I'd slapped her.

"Listen, you were the psychopath who decided to climb through my bedroom window, so do me a favor and don't make this get any messier than it already is," Glory said as she glared up at me.

I couldn't fight the smile that was spreading across my face. "You're beautiful when you're mad," I said thoughtfully, and she seemed taken aback by my compliment.

Flirting with her is one way to win her over, I suppose.

"This isn't about me!" Glory cried, trying not to seem flustered. "Look, I'll just tell my mother you had to leave early. Now, go!" She opened the front door and pushed me out.

"I really did like spending some time with you," I quickly said. "Even if most of it was acting, you were really fun to hang out with. Can we do this again maybe?"

"Oh, go away," Glory said, but I noticed the faint blush dancing on her cheeks.

A grin tugged at my lips, and I knew I needed to annoy her at least once more before I left. "I'll see you tomorrow... babe."

<3

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

9.5K 78 7
HEY THERE! Why I wrote that in caps I dont know. Welcome to my Glorybringer book! Im sure you guys know how this goes. Just a Glorybringer oneshots b...
409K 11.9K 36
Completed story! And please excuse the grammatical errors to my book. I just finished it and I'm in the process of editing everything. *************...
19.4K 236 12
Everything was fine, normal even. Glory didn't have to worry about the constant fear that Deathbringer was going to fall in love with someone else. D...
705K 15.4K 67
[COMPLETE] Might be 18+, but honestly we all know half the reads will be 18- ;) --- New York, year 2021, the Three Outlaw Towers scrape the gray sky...