Born of the Moon

By allexxivann

Selene was blessed by the Goddess Artemis. Having lived in the Bloodwood forest all her life, what happens wh... More

Prologue
I
II
III
IV
V
VI
VII
VIII
IX
X
XI
XII
XIII
XIV
XV
XVI
XVII
XVIII
XIX
XX
XXI
XXII
XXIII
XXIV
XXV
XXVI
XXVII
XXVIII
XXIX
XXX
Author's Note
New Book

XXXI

368 12 8
By allexxivann

The moment she was destined for has come. The Goddess's gift for Selene was not meant to be taken lightly. It was, in fact, part of Artemis herself. Watching over her soul since the beginning, either in the form of Soren or the moon, she considered Selene like a daughter.

As a child, Selene was left in the shadows of a tree, which belonged to the Bloodwoods. At the cruel act of her parents, Artemis saw the girl's purity. She has been searching for a soul to bestow with her gift for a long time, knowing the danger that was lurking over Erebus, her beloved wolves. Angry, the Goddess gave the small baby the power of the nature, but she never really saw Selene, truly see her, until that moment. Artemis knew her choice was the best she could have ever made, as the woman's eyes have always portrayed the kindness and love she carried in her heart. She was indeed troubled by her loneliness, wanting to give her daughter everything in the world. As such, she made sure her guardian and protector stood by her. When the time came, Selene could no longer stay in the company of Soren, as his time on Earth was limited. Artemis mourned the sadness of Selene, feeling her despair at the loss. And then, she remembered.

Artemis has longed for love all her life, but could never have it. She was a deity, meant to watch over all her children, the wolves. When the opportunity presented, she tied Selene to another soul. It was uncommon. A werewolf mated to a human. A wolf's soul was different from that of a bare human's, but Selene was not just a human. So, the Goddess mated Selene to a werewolf fit for her power, a man with such strength, no one would dare cross the pair. A man with courage and a soul just as light as hers. He was born a King and she was born his Queen, Queen of the Moon.

At first, no one could comprehend what happened. It was unheard of, unseen. The battlefield was quiet, not a breath. The witch, Iolanda, with all her taunting and cruelty, stood still, eyes open, dead. Her gaze was still lingering on Selene. In a second's time, not really understanding what occurred, the old, wicked woman was now part of the nature. She was embedded in a willow. The trunk severed her body, going through her spine. Her mouth was open, with a thick root coming out of it. From her limp body, delicate branches hanged, with light green leaves attached. It was a sight to behold. Acheron was too stunned to move, looking at his former partner. His eyes moved from Selene to the willow and back.

Gathering themselves, the wolves launched forward and the battle began. Selene stood still, watching Acheron, the monster. With the corner of her eyes, she made sure Maximus was safe. He was on a rampage, driven by the will to protect his unborn pup. He slaughtered everything in sight, trying to reach the elder. Acheron entered the fight too, as his strength was a match of a Nighshade's.

Standing still, Selene's eyes began to tear. So much blood, so much death. When her sight fell on Troy, her heart broke. He was in front of his mate, a rabid rogue. Not having the power of attacking, let alone kill her, he was trying to keep her at a distance, but she was feral. The she wolf was constantly reaching for his throat, to take a bite, to end his life. But he was Selene's bonded. She couldn't let him die, but killing his mate would end his wolf, especially right in front of him. A surge of power, a whisper reached her.

"Remember.."

Selene closed her eyes and let her body be enveloped by the wind. Her hair was flowing behind her and had goosebumps on her arms. In an instant, she remembered. It wasn't her destiny to kill the witch, nor the elder. Her gift was meant for much more. Her light, her magic, the nature, they were part of her. She was the daughter of the Moon. She couldn't let the wolves die, nor destroy Erebus. But her fingertips were reaching forward. She let herself be led by the mother who looked over her all her life. She felt the true power of the Goddess flowing through her veins. It was enchanting. Her eyes were, for the first time, opened to the reality she was living in. She could see everything. The life around her was calling to her, the soul of the nature reaching her ears. 

She let her body and mind be one with her surroundings. What she previously considered a curse, she now understood it was a true blessing. There was no evil inside her, nor someone trying to control her actions in an evil way. All this time, she was afraid of it. A tinge of regret enveloped her. She felt guilty for not letting it out, knowing what it was like to be trapped, not have freedom. Finally, she let it all out. 

Her feet were grazing the soft green grass lightly and she felt like flowing. Her body seemed weightless. Her raven hair, with thin strands, became a light colour. It felt like the moon painted her long locks in a silver shade. Her eyes, like always, were glowing with the promise of redemption and salvation. 

The battlefield stopped all together when they all sensed the new power. Werewolves of Erebus felt complete looking at their Queen. Never in their long lives have they witnessed such a sight. Getting on one knee, they bowed before her, showing their outmost respect for the most magical being on Earth. Her steps directed her through them, eyes forward. They were compelled to watch her figure move gracefully. Once she passed, Erebus was blessed with a new found power. Packs present sensed the nature aiding their bodies, after the long fight. When she reached her destined one, he circled her body, caressing her skin with his black, soft fur. Standing next to her, she put her hand on the top of his head. They turned their eyes to one another and Selene felt whole in his presence, next to him.

 She let him go, moving forward, to the silent rogues. Standing before them, she took her time looking deeply into each of their souls. She saw their pain, their conflict and gratitude to be in the presence of a deity. Selene closed her eyes and let her magic flow through the ground. When it reached the rogues, they all started howling in pain. Acheron was watching from the side lines, not being able to take a step due to the werewolves blocking him with vicious growls. They were thirsty for his blood, after all he has done, but all of them knew it was not their place to end his life. They kept him at a distance. 

The desperate sounds of the rogues made everyone cringe behind her. Their pleas were understood even in wolf form, but none dared intervene. Maximus knew Selene too well. He was, truly, the only one who saw what she was doing, because his soulmate would never kill them. Her heart wouldn't let her.

Their bodies started convulsing on the ground. The magic surrounding them enveloped their bodies completely, finally reaching their souls. The rogue's eyes turned back to normal, no longer seeming lifeless. If you didn't know, one would say they were all falling to their deaths. Selene's hands fell down and she regained herself again. The first rogue to try standing up made her face show a bright smile. She saw the girl, Troy's mate looking around for him. He ran to her, hugging her. His eyes fell on Selene and he gave her a deep bow with his head, in appreciation and respect. 

A loud growl reached her ears and she turned her head towards the sound, but her actions were too late. Acheron's claws were deep into the Beta's chest, holding him in the air. At the sight, Selene was furious. She turned her hand to him and he was brought down by the thick strong roots sprawling from the ground. He fell back. Maximus was next to him in an instant. But what came next, was even more heartbreaking.

 A scream of sorrow fell upon the battlefield.

"Ben!" Genevieve was laying next to him in an instant, crying over his body. He smiled at her, looking into her eyes. Blood started coming out of his mouth, tainting his teeth. Her hand was placed on his cheek.

"Don't worry love. I'll wait for you." Gen's sobs became louder. "I love you." His eyes closed and his heart stopped. Her body fell on his. 

Behind them, Maximus's wolf was looking down at the monster, with his canines out. He licked his lips. The elder's pleas to spare his life were agonizing, but they stopped when Maximus tore his head from his shoulders. Everyone watched the sight in front of them like it was a movie, not reality. Selene reached Maximus and stood next to him, looking at the wide gone eyes of Acheron. Relief was felt form the werewolves behind them. 

Turning around, wolf and human, they stood proud in front of what was their kingdom. 

The next days went by in a blur. Ben's funeral was attended by all Alphas, showing the respect for his sacrifice. Even though his death was unexpected, he was a true warrior and friend, the Royal Beta. Gen succumbed into a deep depression, the loss of her mate too great on her soul. Selene tried spending as much time as she could with her, but in the end, she had to overcome it herself. Everyone was grieving his death.

As a last action, Selene found herself in front of her forest's border. It was time Erebus became whole, letting go of the elder's rules and traditions. So, she destroyed it. She teared down the border, making the Bloodwoods one with their Kingdom. She was proud of her actions and felt free. 

Maximus put his hands around her stomach.

"It's over Moon." He kissed her mark. Selene turned her head a little, looking at him with a smile.

"Yeah, it's finally over." 

They stood together, as one, looking over the forest, part of them now. Their love for one another and for the pup they were going to have surrounding the scene, their joy for the future of the Kingdom of Erebus.

Selene, born of the moon.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

1.2K 128 117
Meet Selene Moore, a young and ambitious wolf who is the daughter of the Enchanted Claw Pack's Alpha, Eric Moore, and his Luna, Diana. Selene's desti...
2.2M 9.8K 7
Forget what you know about the fairytales of werewolves. There's no such thing as a moon goddess, there's no such thing as mates. Wolves are animals...
350K 8.3K 40
Arabella Sanchet, one of the most powerful witches in her world is also the daughter of an Alpha. When her pack is destroyed and her father is killed...
46 6 14
Seluna lost most of her family from a rogue attack during a wolf moon. That night the wolf moon blessed her with the great powers and strength of the...