Supernal

By MattMacBride

A discredited biologist joins battle to keep Earth safe when aliens reveal the shocking origins of mankind... More

Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Chapter 30
Chapter 31
Chapter 32
Chapter 33
Chapter 34
Chapter 35
Chapter 36
Chapter 37
Chapter 38
Chapter 39
Chapter 40
Chapter 41
Chapter 42
Chapter 43
Chapter 44
Chapter 45
Epilogue

Chapter 22

6 2 0
By MattMacBride

7:30 pm Wednesday, 4th July 2029

Crew Room on the OCF

When Toby went to the crew room he found Jayal, Charlie and Mutu clearing away the remains of their evening meal.

"The children have had theirs," Charlie explained, "and we got them to eat together in Aliya's room. They're actually starting to communicate with each other even though they speak different languages. I don't know how Jayal does it, she's amazing with children."

"Where are they now?" Toby asked.

"They're still with Aliya. She's acting like a mother hen, and Jayal's got an idea we're going to try right now. That's why we ate early."

"If you want to do some tests this would be a good time," Jayal added. "I think it might be interesting."

"What are you going to do?"

"We're taking them flying in the main assembly bay," Charlie beamed.

#

Toby agreed to join them later with his equipment and was choosing something to eat when Summers and Rob came in and did the same.

"Productive afternoon?" Summers inquired.

Toby said he'd worked out how to use the neurological kit and intended to try recording some data that evening ... if he could get the kids to wear the head caps. He also whispered that after dinner he wanted to talk to everyone in the SBR. Summers raised his eyebrows, realizing Toby must know something he didn't want Velan to know. They still weren't sure if the Manitan had any sort of listening device on their vessel.

Over dinner, Rob said they'd been checking the incinerator to see if it could have caused the flash reported the previous night, but it was working fine. He explained that all waste, including the packaging from the supplies, was reduced to fine dust and shipped back to Earth for disposal.

"Except, I have it on good authority that Elon Musk spreads it on his roses," he confided.

#

It only took Toby ten minutes in the secure briefing room to bring Summers and Rob up to date.

"I'm beginning to think that Vitu is not the idyllic paradise that Velan makes it out to be," Summers said.

"No. Look at the problems the caste system still causes in India," Toby agreed. "I get the impression from Jayal that the ordinary Manitan people are oppressed by the Atikas and their cronies."

"And you think Velan is one of their cronies?" Rob asked.

"Definitely, and the other two guys are under his orders," Toby confirmed.

"So what do you know about these knowledge implants?" Summers asked.

"Only that they're in their neck and rubbing them must stimulate them in some way. I've noticed them doing it a few times."

"Maybe it's a microchip with a pressure switch," Rob suggested.

"I don't think so," Toby disagreed. "They think our technology is clumsy. I think it's some sort of organic implant."

"But that would mean actual brain cells," Rob said incredulously.

"Why not?" Toby shrugged. "They told us they have intelligence units that contain human brain cells. Why shouldn't these implants work the same way?"

"That," Rob said emphatically, "definitely creeps me out."

#

The sight that greeted Toby in the main assembly bay made him laugh out loud.

Six figures drifted slowly in line abreast towards him. It reminded him of a Peter Pan cartoon he had seen as a child.

Mutu was nearest the sidewall where he could pull on the grab handles if necessary. Then came Sasha, Charlie and Aliya, and then Jayal with Sara at the end.

As they drew closer he could see the expressions on the children's faces. Sasha was grinning broadly while Aliya looked unconcerned and relaxed. Sara was the only one who seemed unsure of this new experience and she clung to Jayal with both hands.

Jayal hauled Sara in the direction of the sidewall and her momentum pulled all the others into a loop until they slowly reached the grab handles.

"Phew!" Charlie exclaimed to Jayal. "That's harder work than it looks. Now that Toby's here, I need a break. I'll leave you youngsters to it."

Toby immediately found he had a problem. He couldn't put the neurological case down without it floating away.

"This is impossible," he complained.

"You need something to stick it to the floor," Jayal suggested.

"Ah! Good idea. I know just the thing!" Toby said. "I'll be back in five minutes."

#

A few minutes later he was back with a roll of Velcro tape and some scissors. He'd already stuck pieces on the case and on the soles of his shoes. He tramped across the bay and attached his case to the floor.

"Ta-da!" he sang with a flourish.

Jayal and Mutu both stared at him as if he'd lost his marbles.

"Okay, I guess you guys don't know that one."

"Cut some lengths for me to stick on our bottoms so we can sit down," Jayal instructed.

Toby handed her pieces of Velcro and she pressed them onto each child's rear in turn, then did the same to Mutu without a hint of embarrassment.

"Your turn," Jayal told Toby. "Turn around."

"Oh! Okay. Nothing like getting hands-on is there?"

"You're not shy, are you Toby? Mutu can do it if you prefer?"

"Go ahead."

Jayal gently smoothed the tape onto Toby's behind.

"Why, Toby, your ears have turned red!" she said, unashamedly giving him a final pat. "Whatever is the matter?"

"Nothing," Toby croaked.

"Good. Now it's your turn to do me!"

Jayal turned around as Tony cut some more tape.

I'm going to enjoy this," he whispered as he began to press the Velcro firmly onto her shapely rear.

"I'm glad to hear it," she whispered back.

#

Jayal got everyone sitting in a circle on the floor and asked Toby for one of the head caps. She tried to put it on Sara but she struggled and kept moving her head away. Jayal said something in Spanish but Sara shook her head. She held out the cap towards Aliya who said "no" firmly.

Sasha accepted the head cap without a fuss and Jayal praised him warmly in Russian. Toby got the notebook connected, saw a window open on the screen and some wavy green lines appear.

"It's working," he confirmed. "I'll start recording the data."

"Mutu, could you take Sasha flying?" Jayal asked.

As soon as Mutu took Sasha's hand the boy stood up eagerly. He would have shot up to the ceiling if Mutu hadn't held on to him. Mutu pushed off and they both floated away. Toby watched the wavy lines on the screen change to jagged peaks and troughs. It was obvious even to him that Sasha was thrilled by the sensation of flying. As Mutu drifted further away Toby took his chance to speak privately with Jayal.

"I can see you love children," he said quietly. "Do you want children of your own?"

"Yes, but not on Vitu," she answered.

"Why ever not?"

"On Vitu, children are sometimes taken away from their parents. I couldn't bear that."

"Who takes them?"

Jayal glanced around to make sure Mutu was out of earshot.

"The Atikas."

"What do they want with children?"

"The intelligence units need constant renewal. They last for several years but the Atikas need a regular supply of donors to replace them."

"But Velan told us they only used deceased people ... old people?"

They both saw that Mutu and Sasha were on their way back and Jayal leant close to him.

"As I said before," she whispered. "You should not believe everything Velan tells you."

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

162 2 16
In the distant future of the 28th century, mankind survived near extinction and then made it into the wider galaxy, with almost no other sapient life...
227K 11.5K 21
When Mandy loses her job, she thinks she’s hit rock bottom – until her plane is swallowed by a strange storm that sends her and everyone else on boar...
1.9K 99 39
[COMPLETE & UNEDITED/UNREVISED] [WORD COUNT: 52,929 Most Impressive Rankings: #1 in Alien Romance #1 in Scifi-Adventure #3 in Fated-Mates Tati is one...
121 36 13
Earth was overtaken by the Calumnia ten years ago and if it weren't for the alien Occisio race who saved the remnants of humanity, Indi's race would...