The Vampire Prince graduates...

By Mama_Kas

After surviving an assassination attempt, Alexander and Rin are adjusting to every day life. Not only is grad... More

Q&A
Development Project
For the Future
Career Exams
Promises
Invitation
Family Talk
Dinner
Confessions
A Whole New World
Senior Year
Orientation
Convenient
Quiet Moment
Unexpected
Second Breakfast
Theory
Letting the Cat out of the Bag
Internship
AU - Hot Chocolate at the park
Debts
Insecure
Back-Up Plan
My Brain Hurts
P.I.
Cooperation
Ice-cream Break
Let Me Hold Your Papers
Auction (Part 1)
Auction (Part 2)
Reply
The Truth
Building Bridges
Brownies make good breakfast
Digging for Information
Pep talk
Moving Forward
Insight
It Happened
Remain Calm
Lady Hargrave
Trust
Inside Job
Resurfaced
Not a Promise
Breach
In your Arms
Around the dinner table
Camellia
Roommates
Ambush
Henry
Betrayed
Call Him
Exercise Caution
Sold
Served
I Know
Gifts
Unwrapping
Traditions
Plans
What's the Rush?
A Traitor Among Us
Hacked
Love, Strength, and Trust
Well Wishes
To the Future
Times are Changing
Riot
We're Everywhere
Captured
Pawn
Exchange
Exposed
Escape
Rescued
The Truth Revealed
Sleeping Beauty
A Cure
Immobilized
Awakened
Princess
Loyalty
Graduation
Epilogue

The Final Countdown

423 31 1
By Mama_Kas

The time passed all too quickly, and the Ceremony was upon us.

I didn't get much sleep the night before. Instead, I called Alexander.

"Do you have some time?" I asked.

"Want me to come over?"

I rolled onto my back. After all the work and stress over the last few weeks, I was drained.

"You're busy," I reminded him. "Don't you have all those reports to look over?"

"That wasn't my question."

"Yes," I began, "but you're busy."

"Rin, I can make time. I'll be there in a moment."

"But-"I said.

"No buts," Alexander said.

I sat up. He stood at the foot of my bed, wearing sweatpants and a t-shirt.

"I thought you'd make a funny joke," I teased.

He rolled his eyes. "I'm past that."

We looked at each other for a while. To think we had come this far despite everything that had happened over the past year.

Wordlessly, Alexander joined me on the bed. He sat me on his lap, and I rested my head on his shoulder. I snuggled into him, content.

"Rough day?" he asked.

"No," I said. "But yeah. It's just everything. I don't like pretending everything is fine because it isn't."

He rubbed my back. "I know it's not. But don't; we'll unmask the Extremists and the one backing them up."

"They're too quiet. Like they're planning something."

"We'll deal with that too."

I looked at my hands. "I wished we could deal with it before it happened. Too bad we don't have a mole this time."

"I'm not going to put you in danger," he said.

I giggled. "No, I don't want to be a mole this time. Trust me."

"I'm glad to know you're not so reckless anymore?"

"Anymore? What?"

He gave me a look. "You hit a feeding vampire with a book. Met your childhood psycho ex by yourself. Need I go on?"

"Well, I don't think that's a fair comparison," I muttered, feeling my face warm.

"They're the same thing."

"One I did to you. The other I did for you."

He sighed. "I wasn't very good, was I?"

I kissed his cheek. "You weren't, but you matured. I think you realized there was another way to get what you wanted."

"You ready for tomorrow?"

My stomach clenched. "Um."

He laughed. "I'm not sure how to take that."

I covered my face. "It's not like that," I groaned. "I'm so nervous. What if I make a mistake? What if no one shows up?"

"I'm Alexander Rothchester," he said. "I'm the Crown Prince. Everyone will show up. Even if those old fossils don't like me right now, they'll be there."

"I don't know all the vassals' names. I've been studying with Mr. Adams, but I don't think I've retained everything."

"I'll be there," he said. "I'll tell you their names."

"What if you leave?"

"I won't."

"But you don't know that."

"Rin, what's going on?"

"What if the plan fails? I mean, I could be wrong. It could not be . . .your mom, and I'm scared that I convinced myself it was her because we don't have any leads."

Alexander stayed quiet. My heart squeezed. He didn't want to think about that either.

"Whoever is behind it," he began. "We'll deal with them. You're right about one thing."

"What's that?"

"Whoever is behind this will show up at our ceremony. There's no way they'll miss out on this huge event."

"We'll catch them, right?"

"Yes. We will."

My mom came into my room a few hours later. It was 4 am. Alexander had left half an hour ago. I might have dozed off for two hours, but I didn't feel rested.

"Rin?" Mom called.

"I'm awake."

"We have a tight schedule today. Get dressed. Dad is readying the car."

"Okay."

I realized I was going public with my relationship with Alexander during the ride to the venue. The world would know who I was. Not everything, I reminded myself. The week before, I'd decided that while I would make some public appearances, I wouldn't do anything out of my comfort zone. I had to deal with photographers and everyone else trying to make a living. I took a deep breath. I was overthinking this.

Forty minutes later, Joseph drove Mom and me to the venue while Dad followed us in the car. The ceremony would be held in the event palace, where all major events were held for the royal family. It was also the largest and most luxurious.

When we arrived, the staff were getting ready for the evening. Violet met us at the door. Despite her modest look, she still stood out. Unlike me, she looked refreshed and perfect.

"Good morning," she said. "We have breakfast ready. Jayla is ready to start whenever you're done." She looked at me. "How are you feeling?"

I wiped my hands on my jeans. "Nervous," I confessed, "but ready."

Violet smiled. "I remember my ceremony." She moved closer and whispered, "I tripped on my way down the stairs."

I gaped. "What? I saw the video. When did that happen?"

"We cut that part out," she told me. "All the guests saw, and Lionel princess carried me. I was embarrassed."

"No one reported it," I said.

"Lionel made sure it wasn't leaked." She took my hands. "No matter what happens, trust in your partner."

I smiled. "That makes me feel better. Thank you."

Once I was in the chair, I knew I wouldn't leave until Jayla was done. There was a huge list of things planned before the actual ceremony. We had three photography sessions in the morning, and of course, that included make-up and wardrobe change.

The first session was for my family and me. I had my solo photos then my parents were included. This was in a more modern gown, and by the end of it, I wanted nothing more than to lie down. Unfortunately, that wasn't part of the schedule. I had a quick snack before I was in the make-up chair again.

As Alexander and his family had their solo photography sessions, my parents and I were dressed in more royal traditional clothing. Mom and I had ruffly petticoats and bodices. Dad had a slim-fit, long coat-like garment that fell to his knees. It was buttoned over to the side and embroidery around the neck.

When we were ready, it was our turn again for photographs. Some photos were taken of me by myself and others with my parents.

"Is it always like this?" I asked Jayla as I sat down in front of the mirror.

"It's a big event," she told me. "Enjoy it. You look beautiful."

I smiled tiredly at her.

For the last photography session, all six of us took pictures together. We had another wardrobe and make-up change. We still wore traditional clothing. This time, crowns and tiaras would be worn. Mine was a black colored headpiece with rubies with floral patterns. It matched my ring.

"The next one will be bigger," King Lionel promised.

"Oh, you're too kind," I muttered.

While I didn't want another crown, it's not like I could refuse. Besides, it was just one of those things that I needed to get used to.

By the time the third and final photography session was done, my legs ached. The gown weighed me down with every step. Luckily, we didn't have to go out of the palace. Everything was taken in the various rooms inside. There would be an outdoor photography edition, but I was told we'd take those later.

Just a little more, I told myself.

Alexander came over to me and grabbed my elbow. I leaned against him.

"You okay?" he asked. "Sorry about all of this. We need photographs for posterity."

I smiled tiredly. "I'm hanging in there. Can we eat soon?"

"They've prepared some refreshments. Come on."

I looked down at the floor. "I don't think I can walk."

Almost immediately, there was a chair next to me. I sat down with a sigh. My feet pulsed.

Alexander leaned in and whispered, "Cami is here."

I did a double-take. "What? Who's taking care of her?"

"She acted like a stray, so we took her in," Alexander replied. "Seems like her previous owners are a little desperate."

I bit my lip. "Should we be worried about them?"

"I didn't think they were involved. I could be wrong."

One of the staff members brought over a trolley with food. I looked around. We were the only ones in the room.

"How long do we have until the ceremony?" I asked.

"There are some documents to sign," Alexander began, "but I can do that on my own, and then you can sign them later."

I shook my head. "No, I need to see it done. We're so close."

Alexander rubbed my back. "Are you sure? We can give you time to rest."

"Maybe five minutes," I said, "and more food, but I'll be okay."

He kissed my head. "Okay."

"What about security?" I asked. "Anything out of the ordinary?"

"No," he said. "Noah is taking care of that."

"Why didn't he come to the photography session?"

Alexander rubbed his neck. "While he is Violet's son, he's not part of the official registry. Only I'm the legitimate son, so to speak."

"So all your siblings aren't considered the king's children."

"Not officially."

I gaped at him. "That's messed up."

"No one wants a battle for the throne."

I sighed. There were many things I didn't know, but now wasn't the time to think about them. Once I rested and snacked on more food, I stood.

"I'll meet you at the signing in a few," I told Alexander. "I need to change my dress again."

"We're halfway there," he told me. "You can do it."

I smiled. "I know, and I will."

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

31 0 1
Princess. All my life, I have been waiting to become Queen, to finally be entitled to the throne. Having sleepless nights, studying hard, practicing...
11.7K 269 38
Ed struggles to refrain from blaming himself for the death of his mother and now his father too ,trying to find a balance between forgetting the past...
188K 6.4K 41
Faith was happy with her life. She had a clear plan, and always knew what her next move was going to be. But then a terrible tragedy wiped out half h...
27.9K 1.8K 32
She's one of the richest people in the kingdom. He isn't. She was born into a royal family. He wasn't. She's a vampire. He's a human. What happens w...