A Dangerous Desire

By Your_everyday_wr1t3r

Deathbringer Black, an all-time trained assassin is put to the test when he's assigned to kill Grandeur Brigh... More

Prologue
2| The Pretend Game
3| Distractions
4| Suspicions
5| Time
6| The Truth
7| Act
8| Secrets
9| Rules Are Meant To Be Broken
10| Game On
11| The Flawless and Flawed
12| Right This Second
13| Conflicts & Conflicts
14| Slow & Steady Wins the Race
15| Death Around The Corner

1| Coffee Shop

323 6 6
By Your_everyday_wr1t3r

<Glory>

All my life, I have only ever had five people.

My friends, Clay, Starflight, Sunny, Tsunami, and my mother, Grandeur. Although I would kill for my friends, my mom was everything to me.

She always helped me when I was in need, put my priorities before her own, and most importantly, she was there when my dad wasn't.

Almond left us when I was only five, which was around the time I met all of my friends. I was heartbroken, but I didn't understand much at such a young age. Like my dad, most of the people in my life would come and go, other than my friends and my mom.

So I clung to them.

Held onto them like an anchor at the bottom of the ocean, not letting them move in the current.

Because I couldn't lose them, too.

I slammed my locker shut, my books heavy in my arms. I turned, my blonde hair swishing as I walked into my first class. I sat down next to Starflight, thumping my books onto my desk.

"Hey," Starflight whispered as he pushed up his glasses, and I waved. Starflight, without a doubt, was the smartest of us all. He was always studying and paying attention, which is the opposite of most people in school.

I pulled my gaze away from him and to another boy sitting down at the desk next to me. I hadn't seen him around the school before, so I frowned in confusion. He didn't seem to notice me staring at him

"As you know," Webs, our History teacher said in a raspy low voice. He sounded horribly ill, and half the time I wasn't sure if he was human. "We have a new student, Deathbringer Black. Transferred here a day ago." Webs already seemed to be getting bored of that topic and quickly picked up a History book. "So, aside from that, everybody get out your books and turn to page 143, which is about..."

Deathbringer Black had messy black hair and a demeanor that was a little too innocent for my liking. There were freckles sprawled across his face and a friendly smile that caught me off guard when I realized he caught me watching him. I quickly turned back to my History book and started flipping to page 143.

For most of the class, kids were trying to get a good look at Deathbringer Black, but I had gotten my fair share so I didn't pay much attention to him. He had talked to me once, though, asking for a pencil, and I had occasionally felt his gaze burning through me, but I tried my best not to look bothered.

I didn't need another person taking advantage of me.

I shoved my books in my locker and took out the ones for Biology Class after History Class finished, and when I turned around, I was startled to see Deathbringer Black standing behind me, a smile on his face. I definitely did not return the smile.

"What do you want?" I demanded.

"I was just wondering if you knew where Biology Class was," he explained, his gaze never leaving mine and the smile failing to cease.

"Go up the stairs and take a right," I replied, frowning as I realized he had the same next class as me. I was about to say more when a guy, specifically my ex, came around the corner and propped an arm on Deathbringer's shoulder.

"You talkin' to this chick?" Hailstorm asked skeptically, sending me a mocking grin. "Last I saw her, she was on her knees crying for me. Pathetic," he scoffed. I clutched my books a little tighter as my jaw clenched.

At that moment, I felt defenseless, like I always did. I wasn't a very emotional person, so when I cried, it was a shock to most people I knew. I was going to send a snide remark back when Clay, who was significantly taller than Hailstorm, walked up from behind me and draped an arm over my shoulders.

"You do realize she only ever dated you because she felt bad for such a poor soul like yours, right?" Clay asked, tugging me away from them. We both knew that wasn't true. "But I see why you guys didn't last long. Glory is way out of your league."

Hailstorm snorted, but we didn't stick around to hear what he had to say. Instead, Clay lead me off to Biology Class, being in the same class as me in this period.

Clay was the sweetest out of all my friends. He was like the overprotective brother in the family, always watching after us and making sure no one was bothering us. I used to have a crush on him in the 7th grade, but I quickly found out he only viewed us as close brothers and sisters than as someone he could have a romantic relationship with. I was grateful he was there when Hailstorm showed up because the situation between Hailstorm and me is not one to forget.

Last year, early into the new school year was when Hailstorm and I had our first encounter.

We bumped in the hallway, and he quickly apologized, asking for my name. Being the dumb, naive teenager I was, I gave it to him, being a little too kind. He would often approach me after that and then we started hanging out, in and out of school.

That was probably my first real relationship, and it took a violent turn for the worse.

Let's just say that Hailstorm seriously needs to get some mental help if he goes around treating girls the way he treated me.

"You all right?" Clay asked. I felt Deathbringer's burning gaze on me again as we walked away. To say the least, I was mad.

"I'm great," I answered, pulling from his embrace. I didn't enjoy physical contact in the slightest. Besides, I didn't want to seem like I needed other people to stand up for me because I was weak or anything.

"I know that look," Clay said with a sigh. "Alright, I'll leave you alone, but I am always here, 'kay?"

"Mm-hm," I said, walking at a quicker pace past him. I honestly just wanted to get the day over with and go home.

"*"

"Are you okay?" Sunny asked as we walked home together. Sunny and I lived right next to each other, so we often walked home together. I wasn't much of a talker, so I'm not sure why this day was any different from the others.

"What makes you think I'm not?" I asked instead of answering the question.

"Well, for starters, you're more grouchy than usual," Sunny said. "And that's really saying something." She took a hold of my wrist, forcing me to stop and stare down at her. Her long, sandy-like hair was up in a messy bun and her blue-light glasses shone from the perch on the bridge of her nose. I tried my best not to seem exasperated. "So, what's up? What's wrong?"

"Why does everyone automatically assume there's something wrong when I simply don't want to talk?" I asked, to which Sunny raised her eyebrows to. She muttered something but continued.

"Hmph. That's not what Clay told me," Sunny mumbled. I frowned. So that's what this was about? My encounter with Hailstorm? That's why Sunny's all over me today?

The fall breeze brushed against my cheeks and nose as I wrapped my arms around myself, trying to heat me up at least a little bit. Acorns fell from the trees as squirrels ran across the branches, startling Sunny into yelping before aweing at how "cute" they were.

We eventually got to her house, and Sunny waved goodbye to me as I walked a few feet up to my house where Gandeur was already sitting on the porch waiting for me.

"Mom," I cried as she stood up and I wrapped my arms around her as a greeting. "Missed you." That was probably the closest I'd get to touching anyone that wasn't my mother. Grandeur squeezed me before pulling away.

"How was school?" she asked as she led me into our house. I dropped my bag onto the floor with a thump and sat down at the kitchen island. My aunts and uncles paid our house bills since my mother became too fragile to go to work after being diagnosed with cancer. Since they only paid for the bills, I had to go to work to pay for food and clothes.

It wasn't too difficult, since food nowadays was getting cheaper and my mother had plenty of clothes she wouldn't grow out of for a while. Even though, balancing school and a job was quite tiring. I had an hour after getting home from school to do my homework and clean up before having to take my shifts at a coffee shop. I came back home late at night and had about six hours of sleep before starting the cycle over again.

And I worked all day on the weekends, too.

Grandeur poured me a cup of tea and slid it across the island. I took it from her with a smile and quietly blew at it. She always wanted to help out and be there for me, but it's been harder recently. She can't do as much as she used to be able to do.

"It was fine," I replied, propping my elbows on the table and resting my chin in my hand, the other clutching the cup of tea. "Just a little tiring."

I had wanted to do nothing but flop down onto my bed and go to sleep all day.

I got up, still holding the warm tea, and picked up my bag, throwing it over my shoulders. "I have to go do my homework. Call me if you need me–oh, and thanks for the tea." I turned around and headed up to my room before dropping onto my bed and taking out my homework. I worked on it for half an hour before realizing my time was running out and quickly shoving it into my bag.

I ran into the bathroom and struggled with my hair for a hot moment before finally managing it into a high ponytail. I changed into my uniform and threw my bag over my shoulders before thudding down the stairs.

Gandeur stood up from the couch. "Leaving already?" I nodded and ran over to her, pressing a kiss onto her cheek before stumbling outside and locking the door behind me. I ducked into my car and in three minutes, I made it to work. It didn't open for another ten minutes, so I sat at one of the coffee tables and spent that time rushing through my homework.

My job paid me well, especially since they new how badly I needed the money. I couldn't afford the fancy stuff, and the only reason why I had such a nice car was because Tsunami got me it for my 16th birthday and is paying for it every month. She helped me out a lot, buying Grandeur and me gifts, buying us food, and buying us nice clothes. My clothes were already really nice, but Tsunami bought us those fancy clothes that cost hundreds of dollars.

Why? I'm not sure. But even though she could sometime be annoying and bossy and loud, I really did love her.

And I would never say that to her face.

I didn't notice it when the door opened and a loud bell rang out. My head snapped up to see Deathbringer Black striding into the shop with a small smile on his face. I checked my watch.

5:00.

I sighed, stuffed my homework into my backpack, and got behind the counter. I tried not to seem annoyed since I was supposed to treat all my customers with respect and kindness.

"What can I get you?" I asked flatly, wanting to get him out as quickly as possible.

Rush hour started at 6:00, so I was honestly trying to get in the mood of serving all my customers with just one other coworker.

"Funny seeing you here, Glory," Deathbringer said as his eyes searched my bored expression. "How are you?"

"I'm sorry, that's not on the menu," I said as I nodded at the menu that was displayed on a TV screen above my head. I honestly just wanted to get this over with. Deathbringer's smile significantly grew. "I'd like to show my best offer: an iced caramel vanilla latte with two shots of what-are-you-doing-here?"

His smile only grew from that point on as he leaned against the counter. "You're a peculiar one," he said thoughtfully as he examined my face and body language. I shifted uncomfortably, hating the thought of Deathbringer trying to get a read on me.

I watched as two customers walked in, hand in hand and grinning their heads off.

"Look, if you're not going to order anything, I'm going to have to serve other customers," I said as I slid to the right where the laughing couple stood behind the counter.

"What may I get you?"

"Can we just get two coffees with two shots of vanilla?" the female asked. I felt envy twist in the pits of my stomach as I watched how happy they were. I wish I could be happy like that with someone.

Definitely not Hailstorm, though. I've learned better than to be so naive and gullible.

I felt Deathbringer's gaze on me and quickly snapped back into reality.

"Coming right up." I slid them their coffee a moment later and they slid money back. They left the shop, laughing and talking and being the happiest people in the world.

I scoffed and rolled my eyes, brewing some more coffee for the next set of people.

"What?" Deathbringer asked teasingly. "You don't believe in happiness?"

No.

"Do you?" I snapped right back. "I mean, your life must be so miserable and boring that you'd want to spend your time talking to me."

Deathbringer tilted his head at me, the smile never leaving his face. "If that were true, talking to you would make it much less miserable and much less boring."

I snorted as a tall guy strode into the shop and ordered plain coffee with extra creamer. I readied his coffee and handed it to him. He paid me before leaving the shop, the door ringing as he left.

"Are you going to order something or just stand there watching me?" I demanded, ceasing to hide my annoyance at him. "It's getting distracting."

"I'm distracting?" he mused before finally standing up straight as if he'd gotten all the information he needed out of me just by watching me. "Well, I guess, if you really care so much."

"I don't," I snapped. "You either order something or leave. It's unethical to stay in someone's business without actually supporting them."

Deathbringer grinned at me. He has to stop doing that–it was getting distracting. "Alright, fine," he said, caving in. "I'll just have some coffee, please." I sent him a well-deserved glare before pouring a cup of coffee and sliding it across the counter. "No creamer?" he asked.

"You didn't ask for it," I said with a shrug as he picked up the coffee. "That'll be three-fifty, please," I said in a mocking tone. He chuckled before handing me the money.

"That'll be all," he said, backing away from the counter and toward the double doors. "Nice seeing you again, Glory. I'll catch you at school?"

"Hopefully not," I said flatly. He grinned one last time before finally leaving. I glared at the spot where he used to stand.

There was something awfully wrong with him.

But what?

<3

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

705K 15.4K 67
[COMPLETE] Might be 18+, but honestly we all know half the reads will be 18- ;) --- New York, year 2021, the Three Outlaw Towers scrape the gray sky...
19.3K 236 12
Everything was fine, normal even. Glory didn't have to worry about the constant fear that Deathbringer was going to fall in love with someone else. D...
9.8K 255 65
"From the ashes. The strongest will rise." She said, the eye of Onyx glistening in her talons against the moonlight over head. "I'm going to stop poi...
800K 11.2K 95
This is a story about Glory and Deathbringer's life together and their dragonets. Plus their dragonet's adventures at Jade Mountain Academy. Please...