My Wee Mate

Por softsloth

"Are you afraid, my wee human?" "Will you hurt me?" "No, Ailsa. I swear to you I will never harm you. I'd ra... Más

prologue
1 - Ailsa Sinclair
2 - Crimson
3 - Highland Hillsides
4 - Mischief
5 - A Lost Girl
6 - Mystery Man
7 - Tremoring Mess
8 - Trouble Is All I Know
9 - Odd
10 - Nothing More, Nothing Less
11 - I Like Her A Lot
12 - Life Turns Sour
13 - Greasy Rat
14 - Meet My Misdoings
15 - Wee thing
16 - The devil has nothing to do with it
17 - Words Aflame
18 - Place To Complain
19 - One Whiff
20 - Nature
21 - Truth
22 - Invisible Ailsa
23 - A Vampire With Table Manners
24 - Slight Obsession
25 - Admission
26 - Ranting and Waving
27 - Every Last Drop
28 - Mo Cuishle
29 - Stubborn Streak
30 - You Are Strong
31 - Into Splinters
32 - My Wee Mate
34 - Sparrow's Nest
35 - Dangerous Person
36 - Hope
37 - A Promise
38 - Day of Reckoning
39 - Love
40 - I Am Nothing
41 - Fraser's Clan
42 - On The Horizon
43 - I'll Be Seeing You
44 - Reborn. Renewed. Rejuvenated.
45 - No Time To Waste
46 - Shattering Now
47 - With All My Heart
48 - My Light
49 - Retribution Has Arrived
50 - Taste of Death
51 - Safe Now
52 - Lovely Dream
53 - More Than Enough
54 - New Life
55 - Something to Celebrate
56 - Immensely Loveable
57 - Bait
58 - Satisfaction Personified
epilogue
Thank You

33 - Stranger

20.6K 1.2K 107
Por softsloth

Ailsa

     The forest is bright and alive. The rain storm from yesterday has left everything covered in moisture that the mushy green ground soaks up.

     I trail my fingers across every surface I can't find in the woods. Tree trunks, rocks, even little slugs that come out of the wood work to slurp up any puddles they can find.

     My eyes fix on a particular slug dragging itself across a bright green plant. It's a black slug that leaves a sticky trail wherever it goes.

      I grin to myself, behind to snatch him up and lay him in my palm. His eyes flinch, shrinking into his head.

     I giggle at his reaction, carrying him as I stroll, picking up a leaf on my way to lay beside him as a peace offering.

     My mind flits anxiously between worry and excitement. Worry for myself and excitement for what could change.

     Even thinking of Fraser has me grinning and my breath evening out. Who knew the cure to my illness all along wasnt to be found in the lungs at all? Instead, it was in the heart, locked away waiting to be freed by someone tender enough to handle it without breaking it.

     I sigh dreamily, knowing I must look insane and feeling happy and relieved that no one can see what lingers in my mad mind.

     My footsteps stutter as the worry comes back, and I mutter an apology to my slug friend that I've decided to name Jamie.

     Today is not a good day, and I suppose that's the reason for my misadventures. It's all a distraction from the inevitable.

      The ramsays are arriving today. That is what truly strikes fear into my heart.

      I know that Fraser would protect me in a heartbeat from Douglas and his father, but there is nothing he can do while he's still locked away. I know he feels useless as long as it takes me to recover the key to his cage.

     I sigh, petting my slug and making my way uphill to the top of the summit that overlooks the nearby valley.

     That is the route that the Ramsay's will take, and I'm antsy to get to the top so I can find out if they're close enough to spot.

     "This is much more of a trek than I bargained for, Jamie." I coo down at my little friend, smiling despite my sturggle to breath as I watch him munch on the leaf I gifted him.

     I pause for a quick break, leaning against a damp tree and listening to the sound of a trickling stream close by.

     I close my eyes and let the noises and breeze wash over me like a rush of calm. If I die, my body will fuel this. My death will feed nature. The thought is oddly comforting.

     The creaking of a branch has my eyes flying open, looking to the canopy of leaves and sticks above me.

     Ever since I've learned what Fraser is, I can't help feeling like that dark figure I once spotted in these very woods was a monster as well.

     It has made me suspicious, but not enough to keep me out of the forest.

     "I may be going a little crazy, Jamie. That's okay since no one seems to like me anyway." I murmur, looking up the hill and groaning. I turn back to my slug. "But you like me, don't you?"

     His response is to continue munching as if I hadn't spoken at all.

     "Give him a free ride and he still ignores me."

     I heave myself up, marching onward as the top of the hill grows closer and closer with each push. I ignore the burning in my lungs and the aching in my feet.

     My face feels better and that's all that matters. What I wouldn't give to have some of Fraser's blood with me now... the amount of energy it aided me was unbelievable.

     I put a hand to my knee as soon as I'm at the top of the hill, the valley below wet and green and shining in the sunlight.

     My eyes don't venture too far yet, too afraid of what they'll discover coming towards me.

     I fold my legs underneath me, not caring how many grass stains get on my skirts. Mother might have a conniption, but I'll end up marrying Douglas anyway. No amount of stains will stop that.

     Bruises might, however. I sigh to myself as I think about how my father didn't even blink when my injuries disappeared over night. He never looks at me anyway, so I doubt the thought even crossed his mind once.

     Part of me still can't fathom how I was able to let myself feed from Fraser like a leech, like a parasite, like a vampire.

     I don't actually think of him as something like that, but being put into that position changed my view of it. It's different to be on the receiving end.

     I feel as if I can still taste his life's blood on my tongue. I know its all in my head, but its unnerving.

    As much as I enjoyed feasting from him, I find that I still prefer to be the one giving rather than receiving. Something about being there to fulfil his needs calls to me in an odd way that I can't quite explain.

     There's a pull to be near him at all times. It's almost uncomfortable.

     I'm not sure which is more uncomfortable, being away from the man I love, or waiting for the man I am to marry. If you can even refer to him as a man, I've heard Douglas resembles a boy more than anything else.

     Stealing myself, I finally turn my head to face my future.

     The Ramsay party can be spotted not too far away from where I sit. There horses carry them like a villianous precision on their way to end me, because thats exactly what this is.

     No matter what anyone calls this. An arranged marriage, a union between clans, a happy occasion before God. None of those are true, because the fact of the matter is simple. This is a murder. This is a plot to end a life to further the success of men.

     These swirling thoughts make my stomach hurt, and i have to put Jamie down on a fallen log as I stumble back towards my home. I clutch at my chest as nausea and lack of air battle for dominance inside my own body. 

     I slant myself across a nearby tree, the pillow like moss acting like a cushion against my hips and shoulders, I  am trying to take a whiff of its earthy musk but find that my lungs won't respond as my chest begins to burn.

     Of course. It always happens at the worst possible moment. Why not now when my death is already on the horizon.

     "Do you do that often?" The voice startles me, almost like a whack to the ribs, and suddenly a great big whoosh of air comes spilling into me and I suck it in and moan in ecstacy.

    Pressing my palm to the bark of my new favorite tree, I throw my head to look over my shoulder at this new intruder.

     He's a lean, tall stranger with curious green eyes that track my every move. His posture is so relaxed that I would think he was resting upright against a wall, but there is nothing supporting his weight besides a spine and legs that are too long.

    "Who are you?" I question harshly, not trying to keep the anger out of my voice even though his startling appearance has brought life back into my weak lungs.

     The stranger cocks his head, staying right where he is.

     "I could ask you the same. You're always in these woods, and I find it rather annoying." He muses, and the more I study his face the more wary I become.

     He's young, maybe about my age, but probably a little older with the way his eyes are heavy as if he's seen a great many things. His hair is jet black and wild, and his skin is the color of cream.

     I'm growing nervous because I should know him. A young man prowling my clan's woods as if he knows them? If he were a member of my clan, I would recognize him, but I don't, and that means he's from a different clan.

    I straighten myself, turning to face him with my whole body.

     "Are you with the Ramsay men?" I supply more as a comfort to myself since the explanation seems to fit nicely. Something deep within me tells me that this isn't that simple, but I ignore it.

     "Hmm, no, but they are getting closer, aren't they?" He tilts his head towards the hill, eyes gleaming mischievously.

     My heart beat triples in speed and I suddenly feel like a trapped animal.

     "If you're not a Ramsay, then who are you?" I ask.

     "My name's Alec, but that's not important, seeing as you wont be telling anyone you ever saw me." He replies easily, uncrossing his ankles and taking a few steps towards me.

     I want to get away from him, but my back is plastered to my tree.

    "Stay back." I say, my voice barely a whisper.

    Alec listens, halting where he stands and crossing his arms.

    "How do you know that I won't tell anyone I saw you?" I mull his name over in my head over and over, knowing I've heard it somewhere, but unsure as to where and when.

    He barks out a laugh as if my question is the funniest thing he's heard.

    "Beacuse I'll know if you do. Besides, no one will believe you, and I won't be here much longer anyway, so why bother?"

    I huff in annoyance.

    "Why are you even here in the first place?" I demand to know, and his eyes turn sad, m aking me regret asking my silly question.

    I dont even know this man, why am I upset at hurting him? I shouldn't care at all.

    "I'm looking for someone."

    Seems simple enough.

    "Who? Maybe I can help?" I offer, and then regretting it.

    I should not be talking to strangers and asking if I can do favors for them. These are all signs that I've gone mad completely.

    "No, you wouldn't be of much help, I'm afraid, but you would make a fine meal." My heart drops and hes laughing again. "Good thing for you is that I've already eaten, lass, and you aren't much my flavor anyway."

    I'm about to respond and accuse him of being a vampire, of looking for Fraser, but he bounds up a tree like a cat. His lithe limbs are graceful and strong as they push him up and away from me.

    I scramble to the tree Alec disappeared in, pearing into the leaves that still shake from his escape.

    "Wait!" I call out, but receive no answer.

    I'm not sure how long I stand there wordlessly, but by the end of it I'm decided.

    That man was no mere man, he was a vampire, and I'm willing to be everything that the person he's looking for is none other than my vampire.

    He was looking for Fraser.

More to come soon! :) thanks for reading, don't forget to vote and comment!

Seguir leyendo

También te gustarán

1.4K 64 23
" Skyes, its about us. This is very important to me. Skyes... do you love me?" I pause. Do i? I don't even know because i would have feelings then it...
4.6K 550 21
"Didn't anyone ever warn you not to make deals with devils and demons?" Vampires of The Blackbird - Book One (Sexual Content Warning) Enjoying a nigh...
5.3K 320 37
A beautiful grad student lost in the Scottish Highlands... An immortal laird cursed to a monstrous existence... An attraction that could change ever...