Over the Moon ✷ Neil Perry

By moonyfilms

Lost with you, in you, and without you . where a musical teenager falls for the lovestruck poet. neil perry x... More

OVER THE MOON
one.
two.
three.
four.
five.
six.
seven.
eight.
nine.
eleven.
twelve.
thirteen.
fourteen.
fifteen.
sixteen.
seventeen.
epilogue.

ten.

1.4K 35 14
By moonyfilms

but now i got there
i'm a lover
so let me love you
whatever the weather

— lover // over the moon, alice phoebe lou

EXCITEMENT BEGAN TO build up inside Florence as she pulled her nicest clothes from her wardrobe and set it on her twin-sized bed. It was almost time for Neil to pick her up and begin their first date. 

Honestly, it was Florence's first date. She thought she was late dating since she was almost eighteen and hadn't felt a strong attraction before she met Neil. Nevertheless, she was so thrilled that she could burst with excitement.

Florence carefully thought out her outfit for the night. She decided on a patterned button-up dress decorated with simple navy blue flowers. Additionally, Florence added a matching cardigan and tiny pearl earrings gifted by her mother. She stared at herself in the mirror, hoping she looked good enough to impress Neil, yet she still had a few doubts. She brushed her hair and smoothed her clothing before slipping on her shoes, sitting on her bed waiting patiently for the boy she's wanted to go out with for so long. 

The clock ticked silently; Florence exhaled nervously. She shouldn't be so nervous about a date. Right? Her friends in London went out with boys from school every weekend. Why was Florence so anxious? She considered picking up her violin since it was one of the ways Florence used to calm herself, but it was too late. Neil could be at her door at any moment. 

Minutes passed as the girl repeatedly tapped her foot, glancing at the door. She immediately rose from the bed once she heard rhythmic footsteps near her room. Florence approached the door but hesitated. Would she seem too eager if it looked like she was waiting? She thought, adjusting her hair. Three knocks rang throughout her room, causing her to jump, startled. 

Florence slowly walked to the door, taking one last deep breath before unlocking it. It revealed a sweet-looking Neil Perry, holding a simple bouquet, awkwardly standing before her. He wore a coffee-brown sweater along with some neat leather shoes. He looked well-groomed, making Florence's heart flutter once she laid her eyes on the boy. It felt like love at first sight, even though they'd known each other for a while.

"Wow," Neil whispered, loud enough for only Florence to hear. She chuckled at the anxious boy, relieving some of her nerves before Neil snapped out of his thoughts. He handed Florence the colorful flowers as a pink tint came upon her face.

She smiled as she took the gift, and the bright flowers lit her face. "Thank you," she beamed. Florence quickly returned to her room, searching for a container to keep the flowers in. She ended up placing them in an unused cup before adjusting her dress and approaching Neil, who was admiring her from the doorway. He felt a heavy weight of realization on his chest after seeing her all prepared for their first date made him nervously excited. He was falling in love. 

Love was a complicated concept. You could feel various types of love toward a person— love for a friend, family member, and pet. But this type of love was different. It was more passionate than the rest; you feel a whirlwind of emotions— confusion, devotion, adoration, and melancholy all wrapped in a bundle in your heart. This love drove people insane, longing for their lover to be with them until time's end. 

Florence believed the idea of romantic love was simple. You meet someone, and you like them, then they like you, and the rest becomes history. It was more than that— Florence was only lucky to meet Neil under these strange circumstances. Would her parents even approve of Neil? She suddenly remembered that her mother wanted her to meet a boy named James. She was sure he was decent, but he was no Neil Perry, even if she hadn't met him yet. Would James willingly walk her to her dorm every day without fail?

It was only their first date, which hadn't even started— yet Florence was already nervous. It was an unbreakable habit of hers to overthink constantly about her future. Her uncle advised her to live in the present or where you were now. She hasn't followed that advice yet, but will Neil and the rest of the Dead Poets, she was ready. 

"Should we go now?" Neil offered, extending a hand outside the hallway. Florence nodded as she exhaled one last time and left with him. The winter air was crisp, making her shiver. She linked arms with Neil as they walked down the stairs and outside the building. 

It was still late afternoon, meaning some students were still playing outside. They walked onto the frosty grass field, admiring the gorgeous view. Some boys glanced at the couple, eyes firing with jealousy while Florence swallowed uncomfortably.

"Where are we going?" Florence huffed, feeling the condensation on her frozen skin. 

She felt Neil shrug. "I'm not sure. Anywhere," he responded, a light chuckle escaping his lips. "I wasn't sure if you wanted something simple or extravagant, so I decided to let you choose," he added.

Florence paused, beaming at his carefulness. "We could go to town," she suggested. The brunette boy's eyes lit up. 

"Have you been there before?" Neil questioned, leading Florence off campus. They were greeted with rows of trees leading into town, leaves drifting slowly to the grass. The girl shook her head,  noticing the buildings ahead. She grinned excitedly before taking Neil's hand and rushing him into town.

-

The city beside Welton was smaller than Florence thought—only a few quaint buildings along the main street while the town hall rested in the center. Nevertheless, it was more beautiful than anything the girl had ever seen. 

The pair strolled through the streets while pedestrians nodded and waved politely. Everyone surrounding Neil and Florence seemed to know each other, as many residents paused and had short conversations with the workers at the shops. One building caught her eye—decorated with vivid flowers (Florence was surprised they hadn't died due to the cold), and the window had an icy wooden sign hanging from the canopy. Mae's Café, it read.

Florence grabbed Neil's arm. "Shall we?" she suggested, nodding toward the quaint establishment. The lovestruck boy only smiled in reply as she dragged him inside, greeted by the warmth of the oven cooking baked goods in the kitchen. 

Ground coffee beans were caught in the aroma of the building, reminding Florence of home. Every morning she would wake up with a fresh cup of coffee in her seat. It was the only time she would be alone during the day, with peace from her parents. 

They were seated by the window, allowing Florence to admire the town's locals. Neil watched her as she pointed at the bookstore across the street. "We should go there," she suggested. 

Neil glanced at his watch before looking up at her. "Yeah, we have time," he agreed. Later, a waitress set some menus down as Florence studied the drink list.

A smile came upon Neil's face as Florence's eyebrows furrowed as if it was an exam she didn't study for; her eyes lit up as she decided on a drink.  

"Here," Florence said sweetly, passing the menu to Neil. Heartfelt love songs played softly in the café while the espresso machine whirred at the counter. Neil tapped his fingers as he scanned the list.

The same waitress appeared at their seat with a pen and notebook in her right hand. "What can I get for you two?" She asked, a distinct accent hidden in her voice. Neil glanced at Florence, waiting for her response.

"I'll have a cappuccino, please!" Florence replied enthusiastically while the waitress jotted her order. 

"And for the man?"

"Just normal coffee, thanks," Neil murmured as the waitress nodded and left. 

While their coffee was being prepared, the pair were led into endless conversation. They soon fell into an easy conversation, talking about anything that came to their minds from their favorite books or how much they despised their teachers.

A wide smile stretched across Florence's face as she watched Neil talk about his future acting career. It was admirable to see how passionate he was about acting. "After the performances finish, I plan to try out at more plays," he explained, gesturing with his hands. He continued as the waitress arrived with their drinks. "After I get enough experience, I can try out for a film. Wouldn't it be cool if I was a world-famous actor?" He beamed.

Florence nodded as she held the cup to her lips and sipped lightly. Her mouth exploded with flavor; the bitterness of the coffee complimented the milk wonderfully as she smiled with pleasure. Florence placed the coffee down and responded. "You would be a beautiful actor, Neil. Please invite me to all of your premieres," she smiled.

"Of course, Florence," Neil replied. "You can be my date to all of them! We'd be Hollywood's cutest couple," he added jokingly.

"Couple? This is our first date," Florence chuckled.

"Well, I hope there are thousands more after this."

"Ooh, romantic," Florence beamed, taking another sip of coffee. 

-

Once they finished their coffee, they walked across the street to the quaint bookstore ahead. It had a comforting demeanor, brick made up the walls, and the small transparent windows revealed their new additions to the selection. A bell triggered above the pair as they entered; the smell of old parchment and vanilla filled the air. 

Florence floated toward the oak bookshelves, tracing her fingers over the beautifully printed titles. She glanced at each book, contemplating what book she would purchase — even if she hadn't finished the one she already bought. 

Then, she had an idea. Florence approached Neil, who was busy scanning the poetry section. The boy turned to her, a sweet smile across his handsome face. "Yes, Florence?"

"I want to try something," Florence stated, placing a book back on the shelf. Neil furrowed his eyebrows, crossing his arms. 

"Well, what is it?"

"Let's get books for each other, and we'll open them after we pay. We'll read it, then talk about it together," she suggested.

Neil nodded his head. "That sounds fun! Let's go," he smiled as they split apart. 

Florence carefully scanned the books laid neatly on the shelves, looking at every nook and cranny for the perfect book for Neil. She recognized a familiar name in the poetry section — a collection of Walt Whitman poems. She only knew him because of her uncle's love for the 'O Captain, My Captian' poem, which he enjoys being referred to. The brunette rushed to the cashier, buying it instantly before hiding it in a bag. 

She patiently waited by the front door when Neil appeared from behind, holding the book against his back. He teasingly made dramatic attempts to conceal the story he chose to purchase before buying it. Once they left, he proudly extended his hand toward the girl, revealing the small paper bag. 

Florence happily accepted his gift before presenting hers. They sat closely on a small wooden bench, preparing to open their books in unison.

"Ready?" Neil prepared, ready to reach inside. Florence nodded in approval before counting down.

"Three... two... one!"

Florence grabbed the book from the bag and beamed at the title. She ran her fingers over the warm orange color before looking at Neil.

"Pride and Prejudice," Florence remarked. "How did you know I haven't read that before?"

Neil shrugged smugly. "I have my ways," he smiled. "A Collection of Walt Whitman Poems. Thank you," he appreciated. 

Florence returned his smile as they sat silently. "Where should we read?" she questioned, playing with the new pages between her fingers.

Neil averted his gaze to a broad tree a few feet away from them, barren and tall. The leaves were falling by the moment while residents passed by without a glance. Then, the boy took Florence's hand and led her to the tree, where they quickly sat and read.

Tranquility dangled over the couple as they comfortably read; the only noise made by them was the pages being flipped. Eventually, Florence found herself leaning on Neil's shoulder, already invested in the story. 

Time quickly passed by when Neil checked his watch. It was almost time for Neil's rehearsals. He stood up suddenly, startling Florence before she noticed the time. 

"Already?" She whispered, upset. 

Neil pursed his lips, holding the book to his side before taking her hand. Even if it was only late afternoon, it was rapidly getting dark. That was a con of wintertime. 

The pair rushed to their campus so Neil could drop her off before making his way. As they approached the dorm, they faced each other, sullen from the end of the best date they'd ever been to. 

"Thank you, Neil. I had fun," Florence grinned. The couple stared at each other briefly, and since Florence felt spontaneous, she decided to lean in, pecking the boy on the lips softly.

Appalled by the sudden gesture, he couldn't help but turn cherry red. He grazed his finger across his lips, beaming like a child on their birthday. 

"I-I'll see you tomorrow, then," he stammered, resulting in Florence's teasing chuckle.

"You will," she responded sweetly, holding the door. "Good day, Neil."

The girl closed the door softly before hearing Neil jump excitedly on the other side, on the verge of yawping. Florence chuckled softly, flipping through the pages of Neil's gift. Once she reached the back cover,  a note was written on the blank page.

It was Neil's handwriting. As she crawled into bed, she read the short note.

-

Florence,

I hope you enjoy this story. It's one of my favorite romance books ever, possibly one of my favorite books of all time; I hate to admit it. I chose this book because, in a way, you remind me of Elizabeth Bennet — bold, intelligent, and lovely.

As I do not believe I relate to Mr. Darcy, especially at the beginning of the book, I like you for the same reason: your lively spirit. Your personality enlightens me, and I hope to spend hours with you day after day for the rest of my time.

Thank you for sharing your creative idea, and I'm glad I can share this book with you. 

With Love;
Neil Perry

-

Florence was lovestruck. The short note had made her fall head over heels. The girl held the book close to her chest, overwhelmed with Neil's romance.

He was the one.

—6/5/2023

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

245K 11K 30
𝑫𝑬𝑨𝑫 𝑷𝑶𝑬𝑻𝑺 𝑺𝑶𝑪𝑰𝑬𝑻𝒀 ✶ ❛ cameron may be cute and have a great personality, but, birdie, there's no one better than me. ❜⠀⠀ stan...
639K 13.9K 54
fall more in love every day david dobrik x fem!oc social media © valkyraes
294K 9.5K 59
𝙃𝙀𝙍𝙊𝙀𝙎 𝙂𝙀𝙏 𝙍𝙀𝙈𝙀𝙈𝘽𝙀𝙍𝙀𝘿, 𝘽𝙐𝙏 𝙇𝙀𝙂𝙀𝙉𝘿𝙎 𝙉𝙀𝙑𝙀𝙍 𝘿𝙄𝙀. What do you get when you throw five musically inclined teenagers...
29K 687 22
Dead Poets × fem reader UNDER REVISEMENT❤️ "They were ready to give him the job until he mentioned his one caveat. Accommodations must be made so tha...