The Legend of Zelda- Ocarina...

By dragonrand100

"This is the tale of an ancient land of lush forests and verdant meadows. A land blessed by the Goddesses whe... More

Prologue
The Boy Without a Fairy
The Curse
Gohma's Lair
Farewells
Hyrule Field
Twilight
A Thief in the Night
Journey to Hyrule Castle
Zelda's Lullaby
The Dancing Goron
Death Mountain
Sworn Brothers
Lost in the Woods
Lord Jabu Jabu
The Portal
Written in Blood
Darkest Hour
Seven Years
Broken Mirror
Minuet of the Forest
The Flow of Time...
Children of the Forest
Nightingale
The Kokiri
Song of Storms
Epona
Into the Fire
Bolero of Fire
Volvagia
Mirror, Mirror
Serenade of Water
Lake Hylia
Darkness Within
Tainted Waters
Left Behind
Unlikely Allies
Ice and Fire
Into the Desert
Wounded
Requiem of Spirit
The Pheonix
Shadows Rising
A Demon in Kakariko
The Last Sheikah
Lens of Truth
Into Darkness
Nocturne
Illusions
Bongo Bongo
The Raven
Prelude of Light
Before the Storm
The Queen's Banner
Into the Breach
Time's End
The Demon King
A Demon's Wrath
Hero of Time
Epilogue
Acknowledgements

Dodongo's Cavern

915 38 4
By dragonrand100

Chapter 12

Dodongo's Cavern

Everything hurt.

Link opened his eyes, brushing away a film of dust that crusted his eyelids. Navi buzzed around his head, calling his name, but he could scarcely hear her through the ringing in his ears. He sat up slowly, using the cave wall for support as he surveyed the debris. In front of him, a wall of rock and rubble blocked the tunnel he was in, barely visible through the cloud of dust. Link blinked in confusion.

Where am I? he wondered.

"What happened?" he croaked, his voice dry. He looked down at the scrapes and cuts along his arms and legs, some bleeding but none severe enough to warrant immediate attention.

"Thank Farore. How do you feel?" Navi hovered inches from his face, and it took Link a few heartbeats to realise how worried she looked. He turned to look at the debris behind him, and that was when it slowly dawned on him.

Am I in Dodongo's Cavern? he wondered, trying to recall how he had ended up in this cave.

"I... I don't think I've broken anything..." he paused, unable to shake off his confusion.

"What happened?" he repeated.

"When we entered the tunnel, the mountain shook," Navi explained, exhaling as she did so. "I saw Jasper push you forward, and then the roof collapsed." She paused as if considering what she was saying, her eyes turning to the rubble. "It might have been some sort of magic trap designed to stop the Gorons from entering." She slowed down, not aware that Link was no longer listening. "The walls near the entrance were cracked. I assumed it was old damage, but now I wonder if it wasn't part of some spell... Link?"

Upon hearing Jasper's name, Link gingerly propped himself upright and searched for any sign of the Goron. Navi's words jolted his memory. He could recall fragments of what had transpired. Several Gorons accompanied him into the tunnel, including Jasper, but then there had been a cave-in. Jasper had thrown him out of the way of the falling debris, but that was all he could remember.

"Jasper?" he called into the gloom. Only silence answered.

"Link," Navi said, her voice trembling as she watched him. "The tunnel collapsed on top of him. I think he's dead."

"No," Link said, not wanting to believe the Goron had died trying to save him. "He has to be here somewhere."

"Jasper!" he called again, his voice strained. "JASPER!"

"Keep your voice down," Navi pleaded. "There are bound to be dodongos nearby. If they hear us..."

But Link didn't heed her warning.

"No," he whispered to himself, refusing to accept the truth. "He can't be dead."

Were those vines creeping along the tunnel wall?

No, Link shook his head, reassuring himself that it was just his imagination. There weren't any vines here.

He did not want to be alone, trapped in this lifeless cavern. Even with Navi's light, the shadows seemed to close in around him. He had to get out. He had to find Jasper. If he found the Goron, they could move the rocky debris.

Breathing heavily now, Link limped to the fallen rocks and tried to shift the rubble, but it was too heavy. Shifting one rock and moving on to a smaller one, he tripped on something. Navi gasped when she saw an arm with orange scales protruding from the rocky debris. Link's breath caught in his throat.

No! Don't leave us stuck here!

It was limp, lifeless.

Refusing to believe the Goron could be dead, Link desperately tried to shove some of the rocks off him. They wouldn't budge. Thick black blood pooled beneath the rocks, but with only Navi's small light to guide him, Link didn't notice it.

"Link, I'm sorry," Navi said gently. "It's no use. Jasper's gone. There's no way he could have survived that."

Link gripped the Goron's hand, a prickling sensation starting behind his eyes as he fought back tears. What kind of hero kept getting those around him hurt and killed? He had failed to save the Great Deku Tree. Talon and Malon had almost died because of him when the Gerudo attacked, and now, Jasper was gone. Link had been little more than a stranger to Jasper, yet that had not stopped the Goron from saving him.

After a moment's silence, he let go of Jasper's limp hand. Struggling upright, he considered the immediate problem - the blocked entrance.

His first instinct was to try and attract the attention of someone on the other side of the rockfall, despite having no idea how much rock was between him and the Gorons outside. He pounded on the rock until his hands bled, driven by a desperate need to escape.

"Hello?" Link bellowed, his voice echoing throughout the cave. "Can anyone hear me?"

Silence.

Navi flew quickly to his side. He called out again, clawing desperately at the debris in a futile attempt to dislodge it. Fed up with his hopeless antics, Navi whacked him across the cheek. For such a small creature, her slap really stung.

"Link, calm down before you bring all the dodongos on top of us!" Navi pleaded with him. "Please, we'll figure a way out of this."

Link nodded, ashamed of his near panic. He wasn't used to being trapped. Here, there was no sky, no plants, nothing familiar. Just darkness.

We're going to die in here, he thought miserably.

If the tunnel had collapsed all the way to the entrance, there was no chance of being rescued by Darunia or the other Gorons any time soon.

~ 0 ~

Hours earlier...

Link jogged beside Darunia, feeling strange without the comforting weight of his wooden shield, which had been left behind in Darunia's chambers.

"It won't be any good where we're going," Darunia had explained, which had done nothing to quell Link's misgivings about whatever the Goron Chieftain was leading him into. Navi wasn't exactly thrilled either, having expressed her desire to keep Link out of any direct harm.

"You'll be fine!" Darunia had reassured them both. "We'll be there to make sure you don't get hurt, and the bombs are good at scaring off the dodongos. "I'm still not sure I like this, Link thought, sharing a dubious look with Navi.

A crowd of Gorons awaited them at the main entrance, their rumbling voices speaking urgently. They clutched an array of intimidating weapons – maces, clubs, and hammers.

Darunia's people erupted in cheers as their leader approached. Curious glances and murmurs followed Link as he followed them onto the rock shelf. To their right lay the tunnel where Volvagia had slumbered earlier. It led to a ledge overlooking Dodongo's Cavern and the winding mountain road.

Link's jaw dropped as he gazed upon the scene below. Volvagia held a lizard as large as a bear in his jaws, shaking it like a ragdoll. Before Link could blink, the dragon flung the Dodongo over the edge. The remaining two Dodongos hissed and nipped at Volvagia's hide like tiny mice pestering a cat.

"Come, brothers! Let's ensure nothing else escapes!" Darunia bellowed to his entourage.

A battle cry, strong enough to trigger a landslide, erupted from the Gorons as they leapt off the ledge, crashing onto the road below. Darunia followed, landing with surprising grace before turning swiftly to face the nearest Dodongo. A sickening crack resonated as his hammer met bone, crushing the creature's skull before it could react.

"We should join them if we want to honour our deal with Darunia," Navi urged, breaking Link's mesmerised trance.

Link, still reeling from the spectacle, nodded in agreement. He couldn't speak, his mouth agape with shock. Without waiting to witness the fate of the remaining Dodongo, he hurried down the path.

Darunia greeted them with a smile as they arrived. Framed as he was by the still dripping hammer and the pulverised Dodongo, Link felt terrified, his steps faltering ever so slightly.

By the time Link saw Volvagia standing to one side with a gaping wound marring his mighty neck, he was very much second-guessing his decision.

Second guess? More like third or fourth, Link thought, unable to take his eyes off the injured dragon and nearly stumbling as he wandered like a lone ant in a land of giants.

"Ah, Link!" Darunia's booming voice and apparent cheer made Link wonder if he was deranged. "I was beginning to think you'd chickened out."

The Goron leader's mirth died away as he turned to survey his brethren, his expression turning grim. All the Gorons were looking at a charred lump of rocks in front of the cavern.

It took Link a moment to realise what they were staring at.

Ilem's remains, he thought, feeling sick. 

Darunia's voice rumbled in a strange tongue, the other Gorons joining in, their heads bowed. Then, without warning, Darunia roared, his voice echoing off the rocks and nearly bursting Link's eardrums.

Ears ringing in the aftermath of this mighty roar, Link barely heard Navi tell him it was a mourning ritual. Darunia spoke again, drowning out anything else she said.

"If Ganondorf thinks we will stand here and suffer his curse," the Goron chieftain bellowed, his words met by a deafening chorus of agreement. "Then let's prove him wrong! Who's with me?"

The Gorons cheered and cried out their assent. Link wondered if the noise could bring down the entire mountain. In the silent aftermath of the raucous cheer, Link stepped forward, moving until he stood before the cavern's entrance. He drew his sword, fear gnawing at him, but he reminded himself why he was here: to prove his worth to Darunia.

"Don't go in front," Navi whispered, but Darunia's rumbling voice drowned out her words.

"How about you take the lead?" Darunia encouraged, contradicting Navi, who spluttered in response. Oblivious to this, and seeing Link's obvious apprehension, Darunia just chuckled. "You might be small," Darunia chuckled, "But you have more courage than most knights of Hyrule. The Dodongos won't be expecting you."

That does not make me feel much better, Link thought, unable to hold back a nervous squeak as he held his sword in a death grip.

"Don't worry, I'll be right behind you. And if you're worried about the Dodongos, stand back and let us handle them. When it's time to lure out the Giant Dodongo, we'll tell you what to do... but only if you think you can do it."

"I think I'll decide that," Navi said, not sounding thrilled to be overruled by Darunia.

Several Gorons exchanged uneasy glances.

"Let Onyx and I go with him," Jasper suggested, sensing the boy's fear despite his attempt to hide it. "We will take the lead."

Darunia nodded.

"Very well, but just remember, once we get that Dodongo where we need him, step aside," Darunia's voice was a growl as he finished and tapped his hammer for emphasis.

Two Gorons, bearing torches, approached from the city. They handed them to Onyx and Jasper.

"Let's go," Darunia bellowed, urging Link and the Gorons forward. Seeing the expression on Link's face, he added, "Relax, kid. No beast will dare harm you with us around."

Surrounded by giants, friendly though some of them might be, and daunted by his task, Link felt far from relaxed.

"You have to relax when you're wielding a blade," Forenz's long-ago lesson came back to Link.

"What," Link had replied. "Relax when someone's trying to stab me? How am I supposed to do that?"

Relax, Link thought, recalling that memory. Yeah, easy for you to say.

He stared at Volvagia. The dragon looked at him, displaying no concern for its injury.

"Will Volvagia be coming with us?" Link asked.

"Not with that injury," Darunia replied. "Now, remember the plan? We steal an egg from one of the Dodongo's nests. They come after it, and then we lure the brainless lizards straight into our weapons. We'll funnel them. Just run as fast as you can, and this will go fine."

"Uhhh..."

Link could think of many things that could go wrong with that plan.

So could Navi, judging by the way she looked at him and said, "Just do what I tell you, regardless of what anyone else says, okay?"

Link managed a small nod, swallowing hard.

"Hurry up, boy!" Onyx grumbled when Darunia finished speaking. "We're getting hungry just standing here!"

"Right. I'm going."

Link still wasn't sure he liked the whole idea of going in front, but it wasn't his choice anymore, not if he wanted the Ruby.

Keeping in step with Onyx and Jasper, Link walked forward into the threshold of Dodongo's Cavern.

"Here goes," he breathed, holding his sword ready as he plunged into the darkness.

The flickering light of the torches guided them forward. The small light cast trembling shadows against the cave wall, leaving Link with a sensation of unease that steadily grew as they pressed on.

"Wait! What is that?" he asked. Link took a few more steps forward and then realised the Gorons had stopped.

Link couldn't see anything. He looked over his shoulder to see Jasper holding a chubby finger to his lips.

"I hear it, too!" Onyx growled. "That's no dodongo."

A deep rumble came from the mountain itself. Before Link or Navi could say anything, the ground trembled. At first, Navi did not notice that, but she did see the dust starting to fall from the cave's roof.

"Everyone, take cover!" Darunia roared from somewhere behind them.

Beneath Link, the earth shook, heaving and convulsing like an animal on death row. The rumbling reached a roaring crescendo, and deep cracks formed along the cave walls.

"Link, the roof is collapsing!" Navi screamed as she turned around.

Link looked up in horror as large clumps of rock tumbled around him, crashing to the cave floor in a deafening shower. Oddly, the cracks seemed confined to the walls nearest the entrance, as if the mountain was trying to bury them.

Jasper roared a defiant challenge, hobbling forward as Link as the boy turned to flee. He wasn't sure where, but anywhere seemed safer than here.

"Link, wait!" Jasper yelled, but the young Kokiri was lost in the pandemonium, his ears deaf to all but the roar of the collapsing cavern.

Onyx saw Jasper charging after Link and bellowed, "Leave him and run, Jasper! We have to get out of here!"

But Jasper was unfazed, ignoring Onyx's desperate shouts.

Link, desperate to escape the falling debris, sheathed his sword for better mobility. He only managed a few steps before his foot caught on a protruding rock, sending him tumbling to the ground. Ignoring the searing pain shooting through his legs and palms, he scrambled upright. Jasper appeared before he could move again, dropping his torch and grabbing Link around the waist.

With a roar that echoed through the collapsing cavern, Jasper ran forward, shielding Link with his own body as the falling debris smothered the light of their torch.

Link struggled as Jasper grabbed him, panic choking his breath as he flailed against the Goron's unexpected grip.

"Hang on, Link!" Jasper roared, his voice lost in the cacophony of the collapsing cave.

Jasper stumbled as a jagged rock struck his back, another narrowly missing Link's head. With a final surge of strength, Jasper threw Link clear of the falling debris.

The wind whipped against Link's face, and for a terrifying moment, he was weightless. He instinctively held his arms out, bracing for the inevitable collision, but it was too late. The cave floor rushed up to meet him, swallowing him in darkness.

~ 0 ~

Present time...

How long had they been stuck in this cave? Link had no notion of time's passage without the sky as his compass. How long would they have to wait before help would come? Would anyone come to their rescue? For all Darunia and the other Gorons knew, the Kokiri and his fairy were dead. Link's tears had long since dried away. He remained at an impasse, unsure of what to do. So far as Link could tell, there were only three options- move into the cavern, wait until one of the Dodongos found him or hope rescue came soon. Deep down, he knew staying put would mean waiting for death, while moving forward meant venturing into the heart of the cavern, facing a host of unknown dangers.

"We should get moving," Navi suggested as Link remained motionless on a boulder, his eyes staring vacantly into the darkness.

"Link?" Navi flew closer to him, breaking his thoughts. "Come on. We have to get moving...Can you walk?"

Link nodded glumly, swallowing a painful lump in his throat as he glanced down at Jasper's limp arm.

"Do you think Onyx made it?" he rasped, the words barely leaving his lips.

"He rolled back towards the entrance," Navi replied.

Left us to die, you mean, Link thought angrily.

It took a moment to regain his balance as he wobbled on unsteady legs. Once he did, Link cast his eyes about the gloom, wondering why they hadn't seen a Dodongo yet.

"Maybe the cave-in scared them," Navi suggested in response. "I'm sure it was not a normal eruption. There would have been signs, and the Gorons know what to look for."

So, Navi was right. It was a trap.

It was a good thing the Gorons had not blindly followed Darunia into the cavern.

"What if there's no way out?" Link asked, his voice trembling as he examined the rubble that stood between them and freedom.

"There must be a way," Navi said, her tone resolute. "It might be too small for the Gorons, but not for us."

Link still didn't share her confidence. "How do you know?"

Navi was silent, and Link looked at her.

"Can't you feel that?"

"Feel what?"

"Try this." Navi spat on one of her fingers and then held it up. "Hold your finger up, and then tell me if you can feel something."

Bewildered but hopeful, Link followed her example, holding his finger out as Navi instructed. At first, nothing happened. He stared at her, wanting an explanation. Then he felt it, a faint whisper of a breeze against his fingertip.

"That means there's another way out," Navi told him. "It may be too small for a Goron, but not for us. Now, we have to work out where it is. There's no point waiting; it could be a while before Darunia finds us."

Assuming they even know we're alive, Link thought grimly.

"Didn't Darunia say Ganondorf had blocked the other entrances?" he recalled, unable to hide his doubt.

"He did," Navi admitted, "but that doesn't mean we can't escape. We can even dig our way out if we have to."

A hint of a smile played on her lips as she saw the incredulous look on Link's face.

"Come on," she said, her voice brimming with determination. "We have work to do."

In silent agreement, Link nodded and followed Navi, clambering over the treacherous debris from the cave-in. Their progress was slow and arduous, the uneven ground littered with sharp-edged rocks that Link could barely see.

As they ventured deeper, an unsettling odour permeated the air, growing more pungent with every step. A putrid blend of sulphur and decay made Link's stomach churn. Signs of life soon became evident: claw marks gouged into the cold rock, bones scattered like discarded toys, some large enough to have belonged to a small animal.

Their path led them to an odd, rusted metal track that Link assumed was to mark a path. Navi told him they were tracks used to move carts back and forth down the tunnel.

The passage twisted and turned, and the smell Link had caught a whiff of earlier became even more repugnant.

"What is that smell?" he asked, scrunching his face in disgust.

"I think it might be Dodongo dung," Navi said without inflection.

Great, Link thought. Well, I guess there's a reason it's called Dodongo's cavern. Nobody told me it smelt this bad.

With each step forward, the smell became stronger. It was so potent and acidic that Link choked back gags and desperately tried to breathe through his mouth. The air itself felt thick and suffocating, each inhalation a torment. Occasionally, he noticed dark stains spattered across the rock, a trail of crimson leading deeper into the darkness.

One of those Dodongos was injured, he thought. He hoped it was the giant Dodongo. Maybe its injuries would be so severe that it wouldn't be a threat.

Side tunnels appeared at regular intervals. Link would hesitate while Navi patiently checked for any telltale breeze. Finding none, she led the way further into the mountain's depths.

As time passed, they emerged into a small chamber, its walls adorned with strange markings. Three tunnels branched out from this central point, each a potential path to safety or peril.

Or both, Link reflected.

He approached the nearest tunnel, his foot sinking into something soft and warm with a sickening squelch. He pulled his leg free, instantly coated in a foul-smelling muck.

"Ewww!" Link sprung away. "Gross!"

Dodongo droppings.

"You really should know to watch where you're going by now," Navi chided him without malice. "On the plus side, the Dodongos might ignore you now."

"Thanks." Link shot her a look, unamused. Navi just turned to decipher the cryptic runes above the entrance to the two tunnels. The left, marked by a desolate mining cart and new tracks, led to the Fire Temple and mines. The right tunnel, marked by a sinister trail of blood, led deeper into the cavern's heart to the Dodongo Hatchery.

"Wouldn't the Fire Temple be safer?" Link asked.

Navi shook her head, furrowing her brow. "No. Not for us. Besides, Ganondorf has sealed them off."

Link swallowed hard, his heart sinking. He didn't think the Dodongo's Hatchery sounded much safer than anywhere else.

Just then, a deep, earth-shaking rumble echoed through the tunnels, sending chills down Link's spine. The sound rose and fell, each tremor making Link less and less certain about the way ahead.

"What was that?" Link asked, not expecting an answer.

Navi's face was etched with worry. "I don't know," she murmured.

Link swallowed hard, his throat dry with fear. With a quick, apprehensive glance at Navi, he steeled himself and stepped into the dark tunnel, his heart pounding against his ribs.

The air was still thick with the stench of dung, intensified by the layer coating his leg. Bones littered the ground: rib cages, spines, and even a Dodongo skull with jagged teeth. Some bore puncture marks, hinting at a brutal act of cannibalism.

Link tried his best not to flinch as he stepped on a small skull that crumbled under his foot. A faint breeze brushed his face, offering a glimmer of hope that he wasn't far from his escape route. As weariness and hunger gnawed at him, the tunnel widened into a large, circular chamber. Strange, fire-pit-like depressions dotted the floor, each filled with a mound of...

Before his eyes could fully adjust, Link realised the smooth, round objects were...

Oh no.

Eggs.

A massive shadow in the chamber's centre, previously mistaken for a misshapen boulder, stirred and let out a guttural growl.

The Giant Dodongo.

It was colossal, a mountain of muscle and brown scales illuminated by Navi's faint glow. One black eye fixated on Link, the other a gruesome mess of torn flesh.

Of all the Dodongos to guard the eggs, fate had chosen the most formidable of them all.

The monstrous beast lumbered forward, nearly crushing a nest in its path. Its enormous head rose, nostrils flaring as it took in Link's scent. Saliva dripped from its gaping maw, revealing teeth larger than Link himself. Then, with a deafening roar that rattled his bones, the Dodongo unleashed a blast of scorching breath, nearly sweeping Navi from the air.

A chorus of hungry bellows from its brethren answered the Giant Dodongo's call. Link's heart pounded like a trapped bird, his eyes wide with terror as he felt the earth tremble beneath the Dodongos' lumbering strides.

"Run!" Navi screeched, her voice barely audible above the din.

"Which way?" Link cried back, his mind racing.

"The breeze came from that tunnel!" Navi shot towards the opening on Link's left. He followed her, his legs pumping furiously as he ran faster than he'd ever run in his life. He saw other tunnels leading off from the chamber, barely managing to ignore his doubts as he followed Navi. What if it was the wrong way? What if it led to more dodongos?

Just run, he thought.

Behind him, he sensed movement. The giant dodongo was turning, following him.

It's right behind me!

When he heard it breathing in, followed by a strange scent in the air, Link knew what would happen. Fire belched from the Dodongo's maw, and he felt the blistering heat of flames as a stream of fire struck the ground behind him. In an instant, the cavern was awash with light, revealing several more Dodongos entering the chamber with lumbering strides, their serpentine frames no taller than Link's waist. Then, the torrent of fire struck the earth, sending a spray of rocks flying in all directions. One stone hit Navi, and with a scream, she tumbled earthward.

"Navi!"

The giant Dodongo breathed in again. Link halted in his tracks, searching the ground for his fairy. Navi was struggling to her feet, one wing at an odd angle. He darted towards her, scooped her up into his palm, and then bolted. Another wave of translucent flames billowed through the air, slamming into the spot where Navi had been just moments before.

Link made a mad dash into the tunnel, confident the Giant Dodongo could not follow him through the narrow opening. He hoped this was the right way; he had no idea where he was going.

Their escape was short-lived. The giant Dodongo's enraged roar echoed behind them, its heavy steps shaking the ground. Link could almost feel its scorching breath on his neck.

He peeked back, terror gripping his heart as he saw the monstrous head snap towards him, its burning eyes fixated on its prey. Just as the Dodongo lunged, a distraction halted its deadly advance. One of the smaller creatures, driven by desperate hunger, tried to take a bite out of the giant's leg.

The Dodongo roared in fury, whipping its thick tail towards the offending reptile. The creature was caught in a flash, its body crushed in the giant's powerful jaws. With a sickening snap, its head lolled lifelessly to one side.

The other Dodongos froze, their growls turning into nervous whimpers. But the giant Dodongo was far from appeased. It turned its fiery gaze back to Link, the hunger in its eyes undiminished.

No longer entranced by the terrifying spectacle, Link found the will to move. He ran. There was a shudder and the crunch of a nest being squashed, and Link knew the giant was after him. He looked over his shoulder, nearly stumbling, and saw all the Dodongos chasing him. He reached the tunnel, nearly running headlong into a buffer that marked the start of a new set of tracks, but even then, Link didn't stop.

There was a scream of breaking metal and a crash as the Giant Dodongo made quick work of the buffer, which was not designed to stop it, and kept going. With a crunching sound, followed by an angry snarl, the giant tried to squeeze itself into the tunnel. Agitated snarls announced its smaller companions, who found themselves unable to pursue their prey.

I hope it gets stuck, Link thought desperately.

Much to his dismay, it didn't.

He could hear its body scraping against the cave walls as it shuffled along the tunnel. Link ran faster, if that were even possible. He tripped and could not stop himself from falling face-first into a pile of dung. Somehow, he kept his hand holding Navi free of the smelly heap. She coughed and spluttered, appearing overwhelmed by the smell.

"Goddesses, that stench will kill me before that thing does!" Navi exclaimed when she could finally speak. "Get up and run! Hurry!"

Scrambling up and gagging, Link flicked the muck out of his eyes, feeling a strong urge to vomit. He kept running.

Then he heard the Dodongo breathe in again.

Oh no.

This was it. He was going to be roast dinner for a Dodongo.

FWOOSH!

A wash of flames blossomed from the Dodongo's mouth, tearing towards Link with frightful speed. An ominous, red glow danced upon the cave's walls as the flames leapt closer.

"An opening to your right!" Navi screamed, and Link spotted what she meant, the cart tracks turning down the same tunnel.

He could feel a warm blast of air billowing before the flames, and then he heard the flames roaring up the tunnel behind him. Up ahead, he spotted one of the metal carts stopped in the middle of the tunnel. Realising it might be fireproof, he leapt behind it, using one of the enormous wheels to shield himself further.

The intense heat from the fire behind them left Link panting, sweat rolling off him in waves. Silence followed, broken only by his rasping breath.

Thinking it might be safe to peer around the cart, and Navi too dazed to realise what he was doing, Link stepped from safety. Only then did he hear the Dodongo unleash another burst of flames down the tunnel.

"Look out!" Navi cried out weakly.

It was too late.

The liquid flames gushed around the corner. Link darted back for his meagre cover, letting the flames slam into the cart. Link hadn't been careful this time to ensure the cart's wheel protected his entire body. The flames washed beneath the cart, and Link cried out as fire briefly washed over his leg.

White-hot pain seared through his limb as his skin blistered and burned. Dropping Navi beside him, the blond-haired boy collapsed, teeth clenched as tears flooded his eyes. He looked down at his left leg and was horrified to see that it was badly burned.

He leaned against the cart's wheel, biting back a cry of pain, but unable to stop himself from breaking into fitful sobs.

"My leg!" he cried out. "It hurts. Navi, it hurts!"

"Link," Navi began feebly, then more strongly. "Link, listen to me. You have to fight the pain."

"It hurts," Link whimpered, clutching Navi close to him.

"I know," Navi replied, her eyes filled with sorrow. "But we can still stop that creature."

A tremor ran through the cave as the Dodongo lumbered closer.

"How?" Link asked, his voice trembling. He tried to move his leg, but the pain was unbearable.

"Use your hat. Wrap the bombs Darunia gave you in it and throw the bag into the creature's face when it gets close enough," Navi instructed, her voice growing fainter. "Darunia said only a really hot flame can ignite them. I think that thing's breath is hot enough."

"What if it doesn't work?" Link asked, unable to hide his fear.

"It's our only chance," Navi gasped. "Just do it and get out of here!"

Her eyes fluttered shut, her small body growing limp.

"Navi, stay with me. I need you," Link pleaded, his voice breaking. "Please. Don't leave me here! I don't want to be alone!"

"You won't be," the fairy smiled weakly, her eyes opening again. "Go, Link."

With a final, sad smile, Navi closed her eyes and fell unconscious.

Tears streaming down his dust-streaked face, Link gently placed Navi inside a bottle from his bag. He then carefully wrapped the Goron bombs in his hat, used a bit of rope from his satchel to tie it off, and then leaned against the cave wall.

Taking a deep breath and still leaning against the wall, Link used his remaining strength to inch forward. He was blind except for the faint glow of the Kokiri Emerald, which he now used to guide him through the darkness. He dropped his bag, hoping to spare it and Navi from whatever fate might befall him.

The rhythmic stomping and scraping sounds of the approaching Dodongo filled the air. Each beat sent a tremor of fear through Link's heart as the monster drew closer.

Reaching the corner of the tunnel, Link hesitated. He took a deep breath, clutching his makeshift weapon tightly, and slowly peeked around the bend.

The sight that greeted him stopped him in his tracks. Terror choked his scream before it could escape his lips. The Giant Dodongo stood mere feet away, its burning eyes locked on him, gleaming with a feral madness as it let out a menacing growl.

The emerald shook in Link's hand as he took a reflexive step backward, its calming effect powerless against this creature. He fumbled with the precious stone, its surface so slick with sweat that he nearly dropped it before shoving it into his pocket. Only the Dodongo's surprise at having its prey almost walk into his mouth saved him but slow-minded as it was, it quickly recovered.

With a roar that echoed through the cavern, the Dodongo lunged. Link hurled his hat with its deadly contents towards the beast's open maw in desperate defiance. The Dodongo swallowed the deadly meal, unaware of the impending danger. Link's unexpected attack halted its charge. It stepped back, struggling to keep down its meal.

There was a brief pause, a beat of silence, and then the tunnel erupted in a deafening explosion, the shockwave blasting Link backwards and into the rocky floor.

When the roar of falling rocks finally ceased, Link took a second to realise what had just happened. He lay there for a moment, dazed, before finally dragging himself into a sitting position, ignoring the protest of his injured leg.

Half buried, the Giant Dodongo lay in a grotesque heap of flesh, blood, and bone, its head ripped apart by the explosion. Bits of the headless corpse now coated Link from head to toe in a sticky, sickening mess. When he realised exactly what he was covered in, Link retched violently, spewing the contents of his stomach onto his boots.

Weak and sick, he clutched the wall for support once more and staggered away from the mess of the Dodongo's remains. It seemed to take him an agonisingly long time to return to Navi and his bag. When he made it, Link retrieved the bottle with Navi's listless form inside.

"I did it," he whispered, holding the bottle up to his face, his words barely audible above the ringing in his ears.

A faint, flickering glow emanated from Navi. She was still alive. Relieved, Link clutched the bottle close before the faint noise of a distant Dodongo reminded him of his peril, prompting him to stuff Navi's bottle into his bag and glance around.

His eyes perceived nothing but darkness. A heavy, suffocating weight crept over him as he realised just how dire his situation was. He was alone, injured, and lost in the depths of this treacherous cave.

Panic threatened to engulf Link, the darkness pressing in on him from all sides like a suffocating blanket. Memories of past dangers, of being lost and helpless, surfaced in his mind, amplifying his fear.

"Navi?" he called, momentarily forgetting where she was, forgetting that he was alone in this desolate cavern. "Saria?"

Memories stirred, rushing to claim him.

Tears streamed down Link's face, mixing with the grime and sweat that covered his cheeks. His body throbbed with pain, each breath a sharp reminder of his recklessness. Leaning against the rough bark of the ancient tree, he looked up at Saria, his eyes wide with fear and regret.

"Saria," he choked out. "I'm so sorry. I shouldn't have climbed that tree."

Saria knelt beside him, her touch gentle as she examined his injured arm.

"Hush, Link," she whispered. "You're safe. That's all that matters now. Now, come on, let's get you on your feet. You can do it."

Link's breathing returned to some semblance of normality as he blinked away the images of that distant memory. Raw agony tore through his leg as he stood up. Clutching the wall to aid him, Link limped back into the tunnel. The rockfall hadn't blocked the way forward, but it had buried the Dodongo, preventing any more of its kind from pursuing him.

Link started up the tunnel, his leg throbbing angrily, each step sending a wave of pain through him. The tunnel went on and on like a seemingly endless warren. He stumbled, dragged himself onto tired feet, and then stumbled again. It went on and on. He tripped and nearly gave in to a fit of weeping, but even then, he pulled himself up and kept going. Every bit of him hurt.

"I can't do it!" Link snapped, almost throwing his ocarina in frustration. He doubted Saria would like that very much.

Saria gazed patiently at the small child seated on the tree stump beside her, sighing at the sight of his flushed face.

"Don't say that, Link," she said gently, her voice a soothing balm to his anger. "You're learning, and that's all that matters. Remember, even the smallest stream begins as a single drop."

Link sagged to the cave floor, sobbing from pain and fear. He just wanted to collapse in a heap and let fate have its way. He didn't remember taking out Saria's ocarina, but he sat there, rubbing its wooden frame beneath sooty fingers. It would be dirty, he realised. Saria wouldn't like that.

"Just focus on the melody, Link," she said, humming the tune softly. "Let the music flow through you, and move your fingers across the holes. See? You can do it!"

Choking back yet another sob, his body in more pain than he could ever recall, Link pushed himself to his feet yet again. He screamed through clenched teeth, his injured leg nearly causing him to topple over. Placing Saria's ocarina in his bag, he focused his thoughts on Navi. Gazing at the bottle that contained her, he saw her familiar glow, so faint... so weak. He remembered her encouragement and Saria's, tried to bolster what little strength he had, and he kept stumbling on, half delirious with pain.

A triumphant grin spread across Link's face as he peeked around the ancient oak. "Ready or not, here I come!" he shouted, his voice loud in the silent forest.

Mido's friends had let Link join their game of hide-and-seek, and the five-year-old boy was eager to show them just how quickly he could find every one.

His eyes darted between the towering trees and dense undergrowth, searching for any sign of his newfound friends. But the forest remained quiet, save for the rustling of leaves and chirping birds.

Link's grin slowly faded. He'd already covered a lot of ground, exploring every nook and cranny he could find. Yet, there was no trace of Mido's friends.

A knot of worry began to twist in Link's stomach. Had he strayed too far? Was he even going in the right direction? The sun was descending, casting long shadows across the forest floor.

He called out again, "Guys? Where are you?"

The silence that followed was deafening. His initial excitement vanished, replaced by a gnawing sense of fear. Had the others grown bored and abandoned him?

A tear rolled down his cheek as he remembered Saria's gentle instructions. "Stay put if you ever get lost, Link," she had said, with no hint of her usual playfulness. "And don't forget, you're always braver than you believe and stronger than you seem."

He huddled against the base of a large tree, his arms wrapped tightly around his knees. The forest seemed to close in around him, the rustling leaves and chirping birds suddenly too loud.

He recalled Fado's cruel taunt: "The stalchildren might get you, Link. That's what happens to Kokiri who don't have a fairy. They come in the night and snatch them away."

Tears streamed down his face as he called out for Saria, his voice filled with despair and loneliness.

"Sa!" he cried out, screaming so hard his throat hurt. "Sa!"

Was that part of his memory, or was he actually screaming?

Dozens of eyes watched him from the dense foliage, gleaming like malevolent embers in the fading light. Skeletal shapes stirred amongst the trees, their movements silent and predatory. In the flickering shadows, Link imagined forsaken children reaching out to him with skeletal claws, their faces filled with an eerie hunger.

Then, through the gloom, a familiar figure emerged.

Saria.

Relief washed over him like a cleansing wave. Mido trailed behind her, looking grim but relieved.

Saria scooped Link into her arms, her warm touch soothing his fear. "It's alright," she whispered, gently stroking his hair. "You're safe now. Saria's got you."

Her voice was like a lullaby, calming his trembling heart. "They left me," he choked out, tears welling up in his eyes. "I was playing, and they just... left me."

Saria held him tighter. "Hush now," she murmured. "You had a terrible fright, but it's over now. I won't let anything bad happen to you again, okay?"

Safe...

There was no Saria to comfort him now. The memory of her embrace, warm and strong, only made the aching cold of his loneliness all the sharper. He wanted to know that everything would be alright when it so clearly wasn't. Shaking, cold and frightened, Link trudged on, his body screaming in protest all the while. Memories of that day threatened to make him burst into tears again. He had only been five, or five winters by the Kokiri's count since their view of the seasons depended solely on seasonal changes in the woods. Mido's friends had tricked him into playing a game in the woods, and then they'd left him. Mido must've found out and gotten scared that Saria would blame him. He hadn't been wrong.

Onward, Link trudged in what seemed to be a journey that would never end. He had to get help for Navi, and he needed to stop the Desert Man.

Exhaustion dragged at him like a sodden cloak. Cuts and bruises added to his injuries, but he hardly noticed. Shadows seemed to move and stir. Sometimes, he thought he heard creatures in the dark, but there was nothing but him and his injured fairy.

Just a little further, Link told himself.

Then, finally, he saw light further up the tunnel.

Light. The sight had never looked more beautiful than it did now, and Link could almost imagine he was clambering out into a sunlit meadow.

He scrambled towards it, the tunnel narrowing until Link's shoulders and chest grazed against the walls. On the last stretch, he struggled his way through at a crawl, wriggling like a lizard, rocks scraping against his skin, some sharp enough to slice into flesh. It was almost over, and he looked back down at his bag.

"We're nearly there, Navi."

A faint fear nagged at the back of his mind, and though he tried to ignore it, he couldn't help but heed it. He had no idea what to do once he was free from the tunnel.

Worry about that later. Just get out first.

Perhaps this tunnel would bring him out close to the Goron settlement. There might even be more than one village. Or perhaps he'd find one of Navi's kin, unlikely though that seemed.

Slowly, Link dragged himself closer to the light. He could see the blue sky, and a faint breeze ruffled his singed hair. It was a welcome relief from the suffocating interior of Dodongo's Cavern.

Exhausted, Link dragged himself slowly across the rock. With each heartbeat, he came close to passing out from pain.

Almost there.

He reached the lip of the tunnel entrance and hauled himself through, landing flat on his face as he did so. The last of his strength left him, and he lay listless on the ledge. Finally, he rolled onto his back, blinking as his eyes adjusted from the cavern's gloom to the sun-scorched mountainside.

We made it, Navi.

In the corner of his mind, he felt Volvagia's consciousness touch his own. A sense of amazement flooded the bond. You live? When I could not reach you, I thought you were dead. Then, when I sensed the Emerald, I thought of touching minds with one of the Dodongos. Then I saw a commotion and could not believe it was you.

Link didn't pay heed to a word of what was said as warm, sweet relief swept through him.

We're alive... get the Gorons to help Navi. Please help her, Link thought desperately. She is in my bag.

I come.

He didn't have to wait long. A flicker of movement caught his eye and a serpentine creature soared into view, great black wings spread wide as it rode gracefully upon the wind.

Volvagia.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

68.2K 1K 37
Princess Zelda, her trusty knight, Link, and her fellow champions of Hyrule go on a desperate mission to find and defeat Calamity Ganon. However, whe...
54.8K 1.8K 32
#1 for the tag Breath of the Wild #1 FOR LINK X READER BABY LETS GO! THANK YOU GUYS SO SO MUCH! Dear Journal, Impa told me that writing this after L...
67 12 12
Hyrule has been at peace since the Hero of Time defeated Ganon and closed The Sacred Realm. But All That Can Change In An Instant Ganon has planted...
3K 77 62
This is basically a beta of my newest work, the Saviors of Hyrule, so you can read that on my Ao3 if you want better quality, storytelling, and less...