His Mail Order Bride

By anjay_writess

"At this point, I'll be grateful for your pieces." ***** Jessica Franklin is a... More

Welcome!
Prologue
Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Chapter 30
Chapter 31
Chapter 32
Chapter 33
Chapter 34
Chapter 35
Chapter 36
Chapter 37
Chapter 38
Chapter 39
Chapter 40
Chapter 41
Chapter 42
Chapter 43
Chapter 44
Chapter 45
Chapter 46
Chapter 47
Chapter 48
Chapter 49
Chapter 50
Chapter 51
Chapter 52
Chapter 53
Chapter 54
Chapter 55
Chapter 56
Chapter 57
Chapter 58
Special Chapter 1
Special Chapter 2
New Book!! His One-Night Stand!

Chapter 7

5.2K 256 43
By anjay_writess

It took only one glance to know she was the one... And I have a bad eyesight. Staring at the woman before me, whatever image I had conjured on how my prospective blind date would like burned away to dust. She exceeded all of my expectations and more. To the point where I had difficulty speaking. Realizing she'd been standing for a while, I finally manage to force out some words.

"Nice to meet you as well," I reply, standing to my feet to shake her outstretched hand. Thankfully my voice doesn't reflect the surprise I'm feeling at the moment. A sizzle of electricity courses through me at the contact of our palms and I'm mentally kicking myself in hopes that she didn't feel that as well. Her expression doesn't change so I'm guessing she didn't. "My name is Devon Reeves and just like you guessed, I am your date. Please, have a seat."

"Thanks." She says, pulling her hands away. Draping her coat on the seat, she pushes it out the chair and sits down with me following. She places her bag on the table and looks at me, a tiny smile on her lips, her gaze unflickering. Even with the minimal makeup she had on, she still managed to look so striking. Long wavy hair that framed her face and highlighted the dark hues of her eyes-is it black or brown?- cascades down her shoulders, stopping just above her waist. The red dress that clung to her like a second skin didn't only make her look beautiful but also gave her an air of gentle dominance. A lot like Evelyn, except she seemed... Darker. She doesn't look like one to be trifled with. She's very different from the women I've been with, that's for sure. And I haven't been with a lot of women. Once again, I'm struggling for words.

"I hope I'm not too late. I left home the second your driver arrived. I like to keep to time." She says, her sultry voice sending shivers down my spine. I clear my throat, trying to feign nonchalance.

"You're quite on time," I say, giving her a tight smile. If anything, I'm the one who's too early. After the confrontation, I was slightly peeved that even after all these years, I still couldn't get rid of the lingering feelings I had for Evelyn. If I kept seeing her for much longer, I don't know how long my resolve would stand. I needed to do something about that quickly. Luckily, the woman before seemed straightforward enough. This should be easy.

A relieved look crosses her face and she straightens in her seat. her gaze wandering around. She looks pleased by what she sees and I find myself relaxing. "Lovely restaurant, I like the views as well. Although I'm surprised you rented it out. I don't think that's necessary. It is our first time meeting. She muttered. Her voice bore no ill intent but it still felt scathing. I stiffen, surprised at how much effect this strange woman was having on me.

"I'm not too fond of crowds," I tell her. Surprise flickers in her dark eyes but it's soon stamped out, replaced with a chilling calmness.

"Oh... I apologize then." She says, sounding apologetic. I nod, not angry in the slightest.

A server approaches and walks towards us then, dispelling the uncomfortable air that might have settled between us, bringing along with him in a cart, a bottle of wine sitting inside a bucket of ice. Giving us a slight bow, he starts to speak. "Good evening, My name is John and I'll be your server for tonight."

"Here is a bottle of our best wine to start the evening."He says as he uncorks the bottle, filling the wine glass before us and dropping the bottle on the table. Bringing out two hardcover menus, he places them before us. "Please look through it and let me know what you would like."

I glance through the menu before frowning. "What's the evening special?" I ask.

"Lamb stew, sweet potato salad, and meatloaves."

"I'll have that," I say, returning to the menu. Turning to Jessica, I waited for her reply.

"I'll have that as well," Jessica muttered, her face covered with the menu so I can't see her expression.

"Great, your meal will be brought shortly," John replied, clasping his hands together. She returned the menu, fiddling with her fingers before picking up the wine glass. Turning to me, she raised it into the air.

"Cheers." She mutters, bringing it closer to me. I pick up mine as well.

"Cheers." We clink the wine glass together before taking a sip and settling it down.

"So, would you like to talk first or eat first?" I ask, setting my hands on the table.

"Eat first, then talk later." She replies, giving me a small smile. A lot of people would be nervous but she seemed completely at ease... And that made me nervous. Lightly tapping my hands on my thighs, I make a feeble attempt at small talk.

"I'm sorry if this feels too abrupt. I just realized that we should have taken some time to know each other before embarking on this..." I trail off, glancing at her. Surprisingly, she has a gentle smile on her face.

"It's alright. This is the first time I've seen a person propose a date first. Usually, people just send their contracts through their subordinates and expect a signature."

Subordinate?

Our meal arrived, interrupting us once more. the delicious scents wafting through the air. My stomach churned immediately and I was reminded of how hungry I was. Thanking the server, I dig into my meal, relishing at the richness it brought to my tongue. To my chagrin, I find myself noting everything my date does, her micro-expressions she isn't aware she's making, and wondering what's going on beneath the veiled mask she has on. While we waited for our dessert, Jessica's patience must have run out as she began speaking.

"So, it's no surprise why I'm here and why you are as well, judging by the post you made." She began, intertwining her hands together, her gaze on me.

Yeah, that was a mistake. I straighten on my chair, feeling I was standing in front of a board meeting. I don't like it.

"You need a bride." She says out loud and I inwardly cringe. Cold, calculating eyes settle on me, but a warm smile is stuck to her lips. "Why, exactly?"

Taking a deep breath, I start to speak. "I'm trying to get rid of a pest, specifically a clingy ex. She keeps painting a picture to the world that we're back together." I say, taking a sip of my wine, and looking at her through the glass

Her expression doesn't waver. "That seems like something you can take care of yourself. Just tell the world that you're not together."

"I would if she hadn't dragged my mother into it," I say, shuddering unconsciously. It's a topic I loathe talking about. "With her backing, it's going to be harder to do that."

"I don't know you. The Billionaire I know are barely inconspicuous."

"I don't mind giving you my details."

"I just have to pretend to the world and your ex that we're deeply in love?"

"Yes."

"For how long?"

"Six months," I tell her. I expect a reaction but nothing happens, she just keeps staring at me with that blank look on her face. My chest tightens and a cold sweat breaks out my entire body.

"Payment?"

"A million dollars."

Her eyes widened slightly. "That's...reasonable," she mutters and I can almost see the wheels turning in her head, concentration etching her features. She turns to me once more, leaning back on her seat.

"Do I have to live with you?"

"Yes, that would be necessary."

"Would we be having sex?" She asks and I flinch, startled.

"No."

Relief courses through her face and she relaxes. With a furrowed brow, she glances at me. "I'm only here for the job. After that, I have nothing else to offer you."

I glanced at her tired eyes, pale face, and unruly hair, my lips stretching into a smile. There was something in those weary eyes of hers that intrigued me in ways no other woman had, wanting me to know more about her.

"You don't need to offer me anything. I just need you to be my wife." I tell her.

She stares at me for what seems like forever, gauging my reactions. I watch the muscle ticking in her jaw as she leans forward, the action reminding me of a graceful panther ready to pounce on its next prey. "So, when do we begin?" She asks in a deadly calm voice

"As soon as possible. My mom's birthday is next week Friday and she's ordered me to come with my ex. I'd like to surprise her with someone else."

Our dessert finally arrived but I already lost my appetite and I'm sure Jessica has as well.

"If it's alright with you, I'll send you my terms via email tonight. If you're comfortable with it, let me know and we'll be married by Saturday. Thanks for the meal and scenery. I look forward to working with you." She stated, her voice very formal.

"I can ask for my drive to take you back home." I offer but she's already on her feet, picking up her coat and draping it over her shoulders. Dark eyes settled on me, snaring and trapping me.

"That won't be necessary, it's kind enough that you brought me here. I apologize but I won't be able to stay much longer. Have a great night." One last genial smile and she was out of the restaurant, disappearing like the wind.

A long while later, I sat there, stunned. I stared at the untouched desserts in front of me half-finished food on my plate, my gaze going over to hers. She barely touched her food.

As much as I want to believe that I've made the right decision, I can't help the sinking feeling in my gut that tells me that I've not. I've not at all.

****
Took the whole day to write... But glad I updated.
Did I forget to mention that this book contains a reversegrumpyxsunshine trope? Well, now you know!
Thanks for reading!!! See you in the next chapter!!🙈🙈

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

Dark Sand By RMRayne

General Fiction

39.3K 1.2K 44
He put his hand on mine, stopping me from signing. "I need you to take this seriously. This isn't a game. This isn't a movie. If you sign this, your...
209K 5.3K 35
Hailey Baxter signed a marriage contract with Xavier Anderson, billionaire of Anderson Inc, as she needed money to pay for her mother's hospital bill...
36.9K 1.4K 20
Sequel Collection series set in A/B/O (omegaverse) featuring F!Alphas, M!Alphas, M!Betas, and M!Omegas. Features: Rut and heat cycles, nesting, same...
2.6M 47.7K 40
Disclaimer: Mature Audience Only This book is specifically designed to be viewed by adults and therefore may be unsuitable for children under 17. Th...