Her Fiance's Bestfriend

cookiesandwich9 tarafından

Despite being betrothed since they were eight years old, Ominis Gaunt refused to acknowledge his fiancee. Dec... Daha Fazla

Her Fiance's Bestfriend

233 8 0
cookiesandwich9 tarafından

She loathes him.

The lie comes as easy to her as the next.

She doesn't want to marry him.

The pair had been betrothed since they were merely eight years old, and every moment since he had put a distance between her that made her heart ache. She understood what it meant from the start to be engaged to a Gaunt.

An honour.

A privilege.

An order.

She could not turn down the proposal, no matter how many times Ominis willed her to do so. Marrying a man who hated her beyond reason was the lesser of two evils when it came to her family. A loveless marriage was far better than the fate that awaited her at the hand of her father lest the engagement not come to fruition. Her family was fading, and she was the last hope to maintain their bloodline, even if that meant losing their name to the Gaunt's.

That was how little she had a choice in the matter. Her parents would rather lose out on their centuries old family name than allow their daughter the option of a happy future.

But perhaps it may have been a happy one.

If Ominis Gaunt didn't loathe her too.

Her head hit the table with a heavy clunk, earning her a variety of confused stares from her housemates. She had spent the day doing as she always did. Trying to get Ominis Gaunt to acknowledge her. If she didn't have a choice in her partner, she had decided from a young age that she would at least form a friendship with the man in order to make her future easier. Ominis, however, had a different plan, and as a result refused to even respond to any attempt she made to communicate.

And so she had sworn, if he didn't respond by the end of today, that she would give up.

She had committed the last six years of her life at Hogwart's to a man who thought of her as less than dirt and she had finally decided that she deserved to live life for herself.

But as the end of the day loomed, and he had once again turned a blind eye to her advances, the thought of finally moving on seemed far too daunting. Hence, the head hitting the table in the middle of dinner.

She had forgone everything for Ominis Gaunt. Friendships, relationships, a personal life. As she stared at the darkness formed by the wooden surface against her forehead, all she felt was numb. What was her life worth if she could up and decide one day to move on? The last six years meant nothing in the pages that made up the story of her life. A waste of time and energy.

They meant as much as she meant to Ominis.

And it was infuriating.

She did not chase after him for love, or companionship. She merely wanted his friendship. An easy future where they wouldn't live in silence. Together and yet a thousand miles apart. Screw him. He had taken her life from her out of spite, and she was sure as hell going to take it back.

She had six years to make up for.

***

Sebastian Sallow was a flirt. It was a known fact throughout the school.

A troublemaker, a top duellist, and a heavy flirt.

And she was going to take that to its full advantage. She definitely needed the practice after all. If she was going to make up for all her lost time, she had to go hard and heavy on life or she was going to run out of time to get the most out of her Hogwart's experience.

She managed to swap with Garreth Weasley in their potions class, claiming her station was much more obscured from Professor Sharp's view where it was positioned in the corner. He took the offer without a second thought.

She managed to swap with Poppy Sweeting in charms by convincing her and Natsai Onai they were the dream team and 'needed to sit together in order to maximise their potential'. Worked like a charm.

She managed to swap with Leander Prewett in Defence Against the Dark Arts by promising him a date. She would never go on that date. Even she wasn't that desperate.

"Are you after something, or am I just incredibly lucky?" She had to hold back the smirk as his voice cut through the chatter of their charms class, the lesson long since moved on to haphazard spell practice. She turned to him with innocent eyes, a questioning head tilt added in to top it off.

"So you're suddenly next to me in three of our classes, by pure coincidence?" His tone was amused, though clearly unconvinced by her act. Though she didn't let it drop.

"I suppose it must be fate." She had been listening to couples in the common room, and tried her best to emulate their teasing lilt as she spoke, which she had nailed judging by the smug grin that spread across Sebastian's lips.

"I must be incredibly lucky then." Their eyes hadn't parted since they began talking, the burning eye contact only adding to the growing tension.

"Oh? How so?" If she had learnt anything about flirting, it seemed that the one who backed down first was the weaker in the relationship.

And she was not going to be the weak one anymore.

Sebastian chuckled as she pushed on, his body leaning in in some form of intimidation tactic, which much to her dismay was quite effective. She could smell his soap from where she sat, and it sent her heart racing in her chest, the blood rising quickly to her cheeks as she tried desperately to remain calm.

"Who wouldn't be lucky to be so close to a beautiful girl?" Sebastian Sallow had no shame. She could feel her breath catch in her chest as she begged her brain to work. Her flow had completely stilled, and she cursed herself for going too big for her first attempt. Knowing she wouldn't be able to get another word out, she opted to turn away from the man beside her. Her hands reached up to cover her face, knowing she'd tanked her best chance. Humiliation was creeping into her mind as her face burned. Six years with no male interaction, of course she wouldn't have the will power to move past a simple compliment.

"Where'd that fight go?" Sebastian's voice was still taunting, the smile on his face evident even as he spoke. But she had already tapped out. A sigh left her lips before she shifted her gaze to his, head still tucked in her hands as she turned to him.

"You can't just say things like that..." Her voice was quiet, the embarrassment clear in the quiver of her words, cheeks still burning. The smile was wiped from Sebastian's face as he gazed over her expression, and he could feel the heat dusting his own features. Sure he flirted with girls all the time, but he had never elicited such a reaction from one of them. Embarrassed but genuine.

And he liked it.

"Why not? It's the truth." His smile softened as he spoke, the teasing tone melting from his words. She felt inclined to believe him, which only made the burn in her cheeks worse as a small wail fell from her lips. Her head was thrown back into her hands as Sebastian chuckled beside her. This was not how she expected this to go. She wasn't even sure if it was still going, or if Sebastian was just enjoying making her flushed.

It was a mercy when the class finally ended, and she hurriedly collected her belongings and bolted from the classroom. She rounded a corner before finally halting her steps, leaning against the nearby wall to attempt to calm her heart with a hand over her chest.

Maybe this was a bad idea. If she was feeling like this after barely 20 minutes of talking to a random boy, how would she ever reach a relationship before the end of the year. Maybe she should give up on this too. Resign herself to a life of a loveless marriage and a hateful husband. At least if she gave into it now, it might not be so crushing when it finally happens.

Her name cut through her thoughts and she turned swiftly to once again meet the teasing gaze of one Sebastian Sallow.

"Where are you running off to? We have potions now." He watched her for a moment, unable to wipe the smirk off his face before he spun around and started to walk off back in the direction of charms.

And it dawned on her that he had followed her.

Despite their terrible interaction, he had ended up being the one chasing after her, even if he had done it rather smugly. She lifted her weight from off of the wall, watching as the man before he slowly walked further away, eyes blinking for a moment before a smile of her own formed.

"Wait up, Sebastian!"

***

"If I write a single word more, I think I shall combust." From beside her, Sebastian let out a chuckle as she complained, his own essay long forgotten. The two had grown closer over the recent months, and whilst perhaps her original plan hadn't quite mapped out, she did finally have her first friend.

They weren't frequent friends, per say, and she still knew very little about the enigma that was Sebastian Sallow, but nonetheless they spent more time together than she had ever spent with another person, albeit her childhood nanny.

"I should think Sharp is trying to thin out his class with every essay he assigns." Sebastian still managed to maintain his aura of smugness, even when complaining about homework, which made her chuckle lightly as he leant back in his chair, observing her. Whilst she had to admit she found Sebastian Sallow attractive, there was something holding her back. Perhaps it was the thought of losing her first and only friend.

She deigned not call him her best friend, though he may accidentally fall into such a category by being her only friend. She knew Sebastian had a number of other friends, though her own lack of knowledge about the man, as she rarely saw him outside of class and in their small solo gatherings, meant she had not yet garnered the attention of his other circle. She rather enjoyed having Sebastian to herself, knowing that anymore people may overwhelm her sheltered mind. Though perhaps in the future he may introduce her to some other likeminded people.

"I suppose this is a problem for another time. My thoughts are well and truly empty." She sighed as she folded away her parchment, careful to make sure what little work she had done had dried before doing so, as to not ruin the dutifully inked letters. She turned to Sebastian, whose attention was already firmly on her, though perhaps because he had nothing else to concentrate on after stopping his own writing long ago. The pair watched each other for a moment, the cogs whirring in Sebastian's mind evident to the outside observer as his eyes tracked over the woman in front of him. The hesitation to voice his thoughts was clear, his lips parting slightly before closing as his eyebrows furrowed, though his gaze never left the face of his companion, who was starting to feel a little hot under his intense stare.

"I think there's somewhere I'd like to show you..." It was her turn to furrow her brows as she narrowed her eyes at the man beside her.

"You think?" Sebastian was clearly still deciding his future actions as he surveyed her as she spoke with a small teasing smile, waiting a moment to decide before he answered.

"There is somewhere I'd like to show you. Come on." He rose from his seat without even waiting for her answer, striding off out of the library and leaving her to scamper after him. There was a flutter of disdain in her chest at having to chase after another man, but the look of pride that snuck onto Sebastian's lips as she met up with him once again was enough to wipe any negative thoughts that arose. He liked that she chased him. He liked her. He responded to her. And most importantly he wasn't Ominis Gaunt.

She desperately buried the thought of her fiancé into the back of her mind, cursing herself for allowing him to still dictate her feelings even when he had nothing to do with her life. She instead concentrated on Sebastian, her footsteps falling in sync with his as he guided her to his mystery location. Confusion filled her mind as he started heading towards the Defence Against the Dark Arts class, and she had half a mind to mention to him that she was not particularly well versed in non-harmful duelling strategies as a pureblood descendant.

This thought however was swiftly blindsided as he took a sharp left at the bottom of the stairway up to the aforementioned classroom, and halted his strides in front of the small clock that stood beneath it. He seemed to make no further movements once he had reached the dead end, and she was left even more confounded than before.

"It's... a lovely clock?" She couldn't hold back the confusion in her words as she spoke, though she didn't want to upset her friend as he seemed rather chuffed with his discovery. She tore her eyes away from the strange object to find that Sebastian's eyes were transfixed on everything other than the clock before them. His head whipped around the area they had just come from, which was empty as a purse next to a niffler. She watched him for a moment as a smile spread across his lips and he pulled out his wand, a small stream of incantations falling from his mouth with a swift flick. A clank from the object before them dragged her attention back to the clock beside them, just in time to see the front of it swing open.

She took a reflexive step back, but before she had time to get any words out to discover the meaning of Sebastian's actions, his hand wrapped firmly around hers and dragged her into the clock, door swinging closed behind them with a harsh click.

A moment and a rickety elevator later and she was pulled into a large room, lit only by a number of hanging braziers which glowed with burning embers. The space was relatively empty, albeit a random assortment of crates and barrels stacked against the walls, and the odd piece of furniture wrapped in fabric as if being stored.

She pondered for a moment about how she had never seen such a place before, though these thoughts were swiftly replaced by the realisation that Sebastian had yet to let go of her hand.

Her gaze fell down to their intertwined fingers, before running back up along his arms to meet his gaze, which was already transfixed on her as if waiting to see her reaction.

She blinked, still assessing the interaction. She decided she did not dislike the feeling, so allowed her hand to remain in his as she stared back watching as his eyes flickered up and down.

"How is it that you happen to know of such a secluded place?" Her voice came out as barely a whisper as they inched closer, perhaps unaware of their own movements. A small sheepish smile hit Sebastian's features, though not enough to wipe the hazy look from his eyes.

"A friend of mine showed me. If he asks, you were never here."

The gap is closed before she had a moment to think, her mind consumed by the feeling of Sebastian's lips on her own. There was but a second of pause before she kissed him back just as eagerly, their hands separating so hers might wrap themselves around his neck, his finding a home on her hips as he tugged her impossibly close.

Her fingers threaded their way through his hair, revelling in its softness as they messed up Sebastian's careful styling. His fingers gripped tightly against her sides, pulling her shirt loose from her skirt without even meaning to. Her back was against a wall before she noticed they had moved, a small gasp emitting from her swollen lips before she was silenced by Sebastian's once again. Their small, desperate sounds echoed about the cavernous room as fumbling hands traversed new territory. Her dislodged shirt gave way for his hands to snake their way under, and she almost let out a noise at the indulgent feeling of his skin against hers. Her own fingers traced themselves down his neck until they fell against his collar, slipping his robe over his shoulders.

Their lips parted for a moment as his eyes flickered open to assess her, gaze scanning over her face for even an ounce of resistance. When he was only met with lustful eyes he eagerly delved back in, hands now pulling at her shirt with purpose. Soon his blazer and vest lay at their feet, the buttons of her shirt slowly unbuttoned by gentle hands between not so gentle kisses. Said hands descended to her legs once her robe and shirt were discarded, bunching up her skirt around her waist and coaxing her to jump, legs quickly wrapping around his hips to allow the pair to press ever closer, if it was even possible.

Kisses became sloppy and desperate as she could feel his growing desire against her, and all she could think was how much she wanted what was happening in that moment. She forced his shoulders out of his shirt, throwing the unwanted fabric far from their bodies before planting her palms against his firm chest as his lips moved to latch against the skin of her collarbone. The hands holding her up by her thighs moved to grope the flesh of her arse, fingers weaving their way under her bloomers and eliciting a scandalous moan from her throat. This only seemed to drive Sebastian more, his kisses moving up her neck and over her pulse, sucking hard until he drew more noises from her. She could feel his smirk against her skin, but she was in too much bliss to even dare reprimand him for still managing to be cocky in this position.

She tightened her thighs around his waist as one of his hands released her, fingers moving to skim the skin under her bustle, moving ever closer to the ridges of her breasts.

The swift clang of the elevator broke the pair apart, attention dragged over to the entrance of the room as a third body entered. Their pants rang out against the walls of the empty room, alerting the new onlooker to their presence.

"Sebastian, you have about three seconds to tell me what is going on here?" The pair, still locked in their position against the wall, stared at the body as he spoke, a clear malice lacing his words as they blinked.

She assessed the new arrival, and she could feel the anger rising in her before she could hold it back. How could he ruin even this? Was he purposefully trying to make her life hell, even before they wed?

"What are you doing here?" The words fell from her lips before she had time to catch them, pure disdain clear as she spat out at the man. Ominis seemed to recognise her voice, though he had to take a second to decipher it.

"If you wouldn't mind, we're busy here. Leave." She was done taking anything from him. He was not going to ruin the closest thing she had to having a life. She glared as he didn't move, as if he too had decided to stand his ground. Her name rose from his throat in the form of a question, and she scoffed. Had he not even heard her desperate attempts enough over the last six years to recognise her voice?

"I. Said. Leave!" The rage was bubbling up within her the longer he remained in the room, and she could feel Sebastian's grip loosening. If he stood there any longer, any hope of continuing her adventure would be scarpered.

"Do you two know ea-..."

"You vindictive little heathen!" Ominis's words sliced through Sebastian's, causing her to drop from his arms and advance towards the man in front of her in a blind rage.

"What gives you the right to speak to me like that?!" There was little to hold her back, and even though the man subject to her anger was blind, she was also to the fact she was in a considerable state of undress.

"Do you seek to insult me so as to sleep with my best friend?" It should seem that knowing little about Sebastian Sallow may be her downfall, but instead it only added fuel to her fire.

"Perhaps if I knew a single thing about you, I may have known that he had anything to do with you!" Ominis seemed to reflect her anguish back at her, his own feet striding forward towards her raised voice as his fists clenched.

"Do not dare place this on me! You are the engaged woman attempting to lay with another man!" Sebastian was left watching the scene, utter confusion lacing his features as his head whipped between his friend and his entanglement.

"Of course this is your fault! Should it not have occurred to you that it is clear you have told no one of your 'predicament'. Perhaps then your 'best friend' would not be attempting to sleep with your fiancée!" Sebastian was beginning to piece together the situation, though the answer that was presented to him was seemingly unlikely as he had known Ominis for many years, and he had never gotten a sense that he had a fiancée, let alone one that had been at his mercy mere moments ago.

"You have spent the last six years refusing to acknowledge me, so you have absolutely no right to refer to me as anything but an acquaintance of coincidence!" Her anger was clearly outweighing Ominis's, but the longer she spoke and the louder her voice rose, the more the tears rising in her ducts ripped through her words. Ominis took a step back as her voice cracked, and for a moment he could hear the pain he had caused her over so many years.

"I have spent my entire life trying to get you to even listen to a word I say, and the moment I decide I don't care, you decide you do! I won't accept it! GET OUT! GET OUT OF MY LIFE! LEAVE ME ALONE BEFORE I HAVE TO SUBMIT TO YOUR LOVELESS, PUREBLOOD MARRIAGE FOR THE REST OF MY LIFE!" She was screaming now. Every words she wanted to say to him since they had met was bursting from her lungs, her throat rubbed raw as she cried out.

"Then end it! Simply break it off and you are free!" Ominis was as confused as he was desperate to stop her from crying.

"Are you really so ignorant? Have the last six years not made it obvious? I cannot!" Her voice was harsh, and she could no longer scream through her tears. Her anger had melted down into desperation as her hands made a futile attempt to stem the flow of tears down her cheeks.

"Why not? Reject me! Please!"

"My own father would rather me dead than not married to you!" The room fell as she spoke, her choked sobs the only sound as the pair of boys froze, the realisation finally dawning on them about the situation at hand. Her body shook as it was racked with sobs. She hadn't wanted him to know. Even now, she hoped he would have simply seen her as someone worth being friends with, but that was long gone. She was nought but a pawn in the game that was pureblood lineage, and now he knew that even her own father saw her as little more than dirt for trading, so why should he see any worth in her.

"I think you two have got some things you need to talk about, so I'm just going to g-."

"No." Sebastian was once again cut off as she forced the word out of her throat. Her gaze was locked into the man in front of her, though her steely gaze seemed futile to her as the man before her could not gaze back.

"I'm done. I've wasted the last six years trying to talk. I don't care anymore. So no." Ominis flinched at the defeat in her tone. And he was the source.

She turned on her heel, her hands scooping up her clothes before moving to pull them on as she made for the exit. Just before she crossed the threshold, she pressed a hand against the side of the cold metal mesh of the gate, turning her head once more to glance over at the pair behind her.

"Screw you, Ominis Gaunt."

With that she was gone, leaving Sebastian and Ominis in silence as the door pinged shut, the reverberation of metal meeting metal echoing out over the haunting shadows cast by the braziers. Sebastian's footsteps filled Ominis's ears as he joined his friend's side, gaze still firmly locked on the empty entrance way.

"Perhaps you should have mentioned you have a fiancée?" Sebastian's arms crossed over his chest as he finally turned to his compatriot, whose features were contorted into an unreadable look.

"Put some clothes on Sebastian."

***

She cursed herself for going to such lengths to get to know Sebastian Sallow as she sat in her seat in Defence Against the Dark Arts. None of her previous swaps would switch their seats back, and so as she returned to class, it dawned on her she had a number of classes with Sebastian, whom she knew would pester her about the situation. That is if he even spoke to her again. She was already mourning the loss of her only friend, having left him standing in his secret room without so much as a goodbye after he had found out she was in fact engaged to his best friend.

She dared not lift her gaze from the table in front of her, instead opting to read over the passage of the open book before her. Though not a single word was registering in her mind as the body beside her settled into his seat. She could feel the air freeze in her lungs, waiting for rejection or a request for an explanation, though she didn't know which would be worse.

"Was the homework due today?" The voice beside her spoke so casually she almost thought she had imagined it. She paused for a moment before turning to her left, meeting the gaze of her compatriot, watching her expectantly. She opened her mouth to speak, but clamped it shut again as her words failed her before giving him a swift nod. Sebastian seemed to take this, and simply turned his attention to the front of class as Professor Hecat began to speak, launching into her usual spiel. The woman beside Sebastian, however, still had her attention fixed on him for a moment more, expecting anything but his casual question.

He seemed to notice her prolonged attention, turning back to her with an innocent look on his face before shooting her a small reassuring smile. Despite what he knew, he was allowing them to continue as they were. She couldn't fight the small relieved smile that hit her lips as their eyes met, the breath finally returning to her lungs as the weight lifted from her chest.

Perhaps she had a chance at living life for herself after all.

Throughout the class his leg ghosted against hers, the lingering tension from the night before ever present. The longer she dwelled in the sensation, the more she realised that perhaps it was simply the human contact she lacked that appealed to her. Though she admitted she did not mind it coming from Sebastian Sallow. He was gentle in his actions, and seemed to take it slowly, making sure she was still comfortable around him as the class progressed.

By the end of the class their legs were pressed firmly together as they took notes, gracious smiles over both of their features as they attempted to not glance back at the other.

Sebastian took her hand gently once the class ended, leading her away from the crowd and into a quiet corridor before turning to her. She tensed, ready for the onslaught of questions, but the man before her only sent her a soft smile and gave a reassuring squeeze to her hand.

"I'm not here to make you talk to him. I do however, think we should talk?" His voice was careful, knowing full well that she was volatile enough to refuse him having witnessed her fury only the day before. She seemed to relax against his gentle tone, pondering over his words before nodding. It wasn't worth hiding from him as he was so gracious to her situation, and she was still dwelling in the fact he had yet to reject her.

"I think, that perhaps we can be good for each other? Whilst I'm not entirely sure about your, uh, situation... I know enough. We don't have to take anything too seriously. Just a couple of friends having fun." He struggled to keep the excitement out of his tone as he spoke, his hand clutching hers tightly betraying the apprehension in his body.

"I don't want to, to hurt you. I will have to marry him. There is no way to escape that." She winced as the fear in her mind wormed its way into her words, but perhaps it was a necessary evil. Pursuing whatever it was that they had may be too much, even for a moment of enjoyment.

"I'm not saying we start anything. We're just going to make the most of our time. I also have a lot on my plate... Though I won't delve into it now, I don't have the time for relationships, but perhaps we can help, keep each other happy?" Though he deigned not say it out loud, what had almost transpired only hours ago the night before lingered in his words and she had to fight the rampant blush against her skin.

"I, uh... My fiancé is your best friend." She had to address the elephant in the room. She could feel the tremble in her body ripple down her arm, undoubtedly spreading across Sebastian's fingers.

"We have, talked about that. Briefly. He admits that though you are engaged, you are both barely even acquaintances, so this is not as, invasive, as it sounds?" Though there was no reason for it, she could feel her heart fall at the notion that even now, Ominis thought so little of her. But gazing over at the man before her, the man who unlike Ominis Gaunt was vying for her affection, she could think of little more than the fact that she was happy in that moment.

"Perhaps we should take it a little slower? Maybe it will help to avoid further, confrontation?" She let out a weak chuckle at Sebastian's words. She had delved rather quickly into her new lease on life, so even at a slower pace she was still doing more than she ever had before.

She was drawn out of her own thoughts as Sebastian took a small step towards her, eyes once again drifting up and down as he smile down at her.

"Though I hope I am still permitted to do this?" His lips ghosted over hers in lew of asking permission, allowing her to take a moment to ponder before she closed the near non-existent gap, smiling into the kiss she had been craving so.

The desperation from the night before was gone, and the energy between them was gentle and full of quiet laughter as they drew apart. Their eyes met once more, and as she gazed up at him, watching the smile that graced his freckled skin she spoke once more, barely a whisper leaving her throat.

"You must promise me we won't fall in love. I'm not sure I could bear it." A soft chuckle resonated from Sebastian as he pressed a firm kiss against her lips once more.

"I shall make sure of it."

***

It should seem that the tables had turned rather swiftly for Ominis Gaunt as he failed once more to garner the attention of his fiancée. She was a rather stubborn body once she decided to be so, and despite all his attempts he hadn't gotten a single response from her. He had even tried to get Sebastian to communicate his messages, however much to his chagrin Sebastian wouldn't dare ruin his new fling in such a manner.

Though he tried not to, Ominis couldn't help but burn with anger at the thought of his fiancée in the arms of his best friend. He knew Sebastian far too well to promote him to anyone, though he had lied and said he was alright with the entanglement. Who was he to dictate the actions of a woman he had refused to even acknowledge for so long?

Perhaps if he had allowed her to speak, he would not be sat at dinner with such a scowl on his features as he thought about his friend and his estranged future partner.

"My life would be so much simpler if the two of you could just make up." Sebastian's voice cut through Ominis's thoughts, drawing his attention back to his aforementioned friend who was sat across from him.

"You say that as if I am not trying to do so." Malice laced Ominis's tone as he spoke, clearly fed up with the situation at hand. Why now was she bothering him so when he had managed six years without giving her a passing thought? Had it been the pain in her voice as she screamed at him so many weeks ago.

"I'm just saying, you have a tendency to try after her in places she can easily escape." The scrape of Sebastian's fork against his plate filled the relative silence as Ominis pondered his words, the scowl on his face deepening as he did so.

"I do not think she would take too kindly to being trapped." The lilt in his voice portrayed how idiotic he felt Sebastian's idea held, though this didn't seem to deter his friend.

"All I'm saying is she has a habit of visiting the boathouse at night to watch the water, and perhaps the serene mood it puts her in may leave her a little more susceptible to hearing you out?" Whilst he didn't like to admit Sebastian was right, Ominis was out of options. He couldn't go on feeling as he did without at least getting his thoughts across to her, and perhaps if they could get on speaking terms, the pain in his chest he felt whenever he saw her would alleviate.

"You seem to know an awful lot about a 'casual fling'." Ominis fought to keep the disdain from his voice, but his words betrayed him as he glowered. He could envision Sebastian shrug as he took a moment to reply, the amusement obvious in his response.

"You seem awfully perturbed about an 'unfortunate acquaintance'."

***

The lack of bodies at such a time of night made manoeuvring down to the boathouse much easier for Ominis, though he was cursing the number of stairs it took to descend down to his destination. He could feel her presence before his wand detected her, a small huff leaving his chest at the notion that Sebastian was in fact correct.

He was about to speak, standing a ways off from her, but opted against such an action and instead moved to approach. She seemed to acknowledge his presence, though she didn't turn towards him, she also did not move to leave as he took a place beside her.

The breeze of the night air sent a shiver down his spine as they sat in silence. Perhaps he would not dare speak in case she left, so he resigned himself to dwelling in the sound of the Black lake lapping against the side of the small dock.

"How did you do it?" Her voice was small from beside him, devoid of any fight. Unsure of her meaning, Ominis didn't reply, though he did turn towards her with a small tilt in his head to try to communicate his confusion. She didn't reply for a moment, only allowing a small sigh to escape her lips.

"It's barely been a few weeks, and I'm already considering allowing you to talk to me. How did you go so long with me pestering you without uttering a single word back?" The defeat was evident in her tone, and it made the man beside her flinch. He had truly ruined this woman without even lifting a finger, and the guilt was setting in like a burning branding iron against his skin.

"I thought it was what was best. Though I am perhaps starting to think I was wrong." A short scoff sounded from beside him as he spoke. He heard the scuff of her shoes against wood as she drew her legs up to her chest, her head dropping to rest on her knees as she gazed over the water.

"You're ever so confusing, Ominis Gaunt." There was an ounce of amusement lacing her sad tone, but even then, here she was, talking to him with gentle words and no sense that she was about to leave.

"How so?" She confused him just as much, but he wasn't going to voice such thoughts in case she took it harshly and decided he wasn't worth her time once again.

"Why am I still here? It's not as if you haven't rejected engagements before mine... I don't understand why you are keeping me around whilst also telling me to break it off..." Her sentence petered out at the end, as if she was unsure she could even bear the answer. Even Ominis was questioning whether he could tell her the truth.

"I also cannot break this engagement." His words were short and curt, as no matter what followed, that fact was not going to change.

"I have thought about that too. But I cannot think why. It's not as if a family like the Gaunt's would dare end the life of a pureblood male heir, even in your case?" He winced at her words, knowing she was right. She knew the world of purebloods as well as he, though he was ignorant enough to it to have not realised her own entrapment.

"The forfeit for ending our engagement would be your life." Silence fell over the pair as she looked over at her companion, eyes searching for any amount of deceit in his words, but when none came a laugh forced its way from her lips.

Ominis's brows furrowed as he listened to her, harsh laughter falling over the silence of the night.

"I truly am doomed. I suppose I am free to break this engagement and die then, knowing I have no choice either way." Horror filled Ominis's mind at how casually she spoke such things. Had he really driven her to such thoughts?

"Why would you say that?!" Desperation filled his throat as his words forced their way out before he had time to think.

"I have no desire to live out a life with a man who hates me. I have seen first-hand what that is like." Her words were spoken so gently she might as well have been wistfully talking about the peacefulness of the lake. Ominis could feel his body freeze as she spoke of such things.

"I don't hate you." The truth fell from his lips so easily that he thought perhaps he should have said so long ago. Maybe then she wouldn't be speaking so calmly about giving up.

"There is no need to lie. It'll bring me no solace." He could hear the sad smile that graced her lips as she looked over at him, her head finally lifting from her knees. The cold night air forced its way between the pair as they sat, the tension heavy as the guilt upon Ominis's shoulders.

He found himself reaching over to her haphazardly, fumbling around desperately until he found her hand so he could enclose it in his own. He could hear her breath hitch as their skin met, but she didn't pull away from him.

"It's not a lie. I just, I am not a man worthy of you. I was ignorant to think you had a choice, and I believed that if you would just give up on your pursuit of me, that you would break our engagement and be able to make a better one." He was met with a short chuckle as the realisation dawned on her. It had truly been six years of miscommunication.

"I only ever wanted to be friends." Her fingers wrapped themselves around his, finally reciprocating his touch as she spoke, the sadness leeching from her words as she watched the man beside her.

Ominis revelled in the feeling of her hand in his, giving her a small squeeze as their fingers intertwined.

"I am sorry for the last six years. I shall endeavour to make it up to you." She was silent for a moment, before he heard her shuffle. His grip on her tightened in fear that she was moving to leave, however instead she lifted herself from the ground so she could move closer until their thighs pressed together as their intertwined hands rested upon them. Ominis's body tensed at the contact, his body constricting further as her head dropped to rest on his shoulder.

"Just hearing your voice after so long is almost enough." There was a small cheeky tone beneath her wistful words, and Ominis found himself relax against her as his thumb swept over the back of her hand.

***

She could never have imagined that she would be where she was as she gazed at the two boys sat across from her. She followed Ominis's hand as it dragged his wand over the page of his Herbology textbook as a small smile decorated her face. All she had ever wanted was to exist with him in peace, and here he was, sitting with her with a look of concentration etched into his features as he failed to decipher his homework.

Her hand reached over slowly before guiding his hand to reread an earlier sentence in the text causing the look of frustration to lift from his eyes as he muttered a gentle thank you. Her hand lingered for a moment before it withdrew, after which her attention moved over to her other friend who had been watching the interaction with his usual smug grin. He shot her a wink once their eyes met, causing her to flush and drop her gaze down to her own textbook.

Despite their previous dalliance, Sebastian had figured out that she was more flustered by the smaller things, like compliments and suggestive looks, so had opted to elicit a reaction from her at any moment that presented itself to him. Many a time had she told him off, but the small smile that fought its way onto her lips each time only drove him to continue.

Both boys had silently agreed to make sure she didn't cry again, as she had in the Undercroft, in the future, though had each taken a different route to do so. Sebastian continued in their casual relationship which mainly led to small kisses in quiet corridors and a gentle hand against a thigh whenever they sat together. Ominis on the other hand tried to speak to her more. He hated to admit how his heart leapt in his chest when he could hear the happiness in her voice each time he replied to her, even more so when he initiated the conversation.

None of them spoke of the future. It was an off limits topic between the three, an unspoken rule as to avoid the inevitable for as long as possible. It was exceptionally hard to ignore as her and Ominis's parent's owls regarding their union increased the closer the end of their time at Hogwarts became, but with each burnt letter and a reassuring hand squeezing the other, it was a little better.

She didn't like to dwell on the future, but as she watched the pair before her, the images of a silent house melted away.

"I think we've all long since stopped paying attention to Herbology. Does anyone fancy a butterbeer?" Sebastian shut his textbook with a swift thud, drawing the attention of the other two sat at the table. He cast his gaze over to his female companion, who gave an eager nod and began to pack up her belongings, which spurred Ominis to do the same, and soon the trio were making their way along the beaten track to the wizarding village.

She had always loved the Three Broomsticks. There was something so calming about it's atmosphere. As Sebastian placed the steins of butterbeer on the small table, she pulled one towards her eagerly, a quiet giggle of excitement emitting from her throat as she went to take a sip. Ominis listened to her laughter with a soft smile, earning him a kick from Sebastian beside him who looked at him smugly, despite not being able to be seen doing so.

"One of you is going to have to help me practice that last transfiguration spell. Even by the end of class I had barely managed to give my teacup rabbit ears..." The playful whines of the woman before them elicited a smile from both boys as she placed her butterbeer back on the table, a pout gracing her lips as she gazed over at her friends as if she knew she had them both in the palm of her hand. A chuckle sounded from her right as Sebastian nodded.

"I should think I have the time to spare, for you." The teasing lilt in his tone earned him a swift smack from the target of his torment, though the smile that fought its way onto her face only drew more chuckles from him.

"How is tonight? Perhaps the Undercroft will be best in case something goes awry?" Sebastian spoke as his chuckles grew silent as he lifted his own butterbeer to his lips.

"Sounds good. Ominis?" She turned her attention to her left, waiting expectantly for the man beside her to reply. His brows furrowed as he thought, an unreadable look crossing his features before he replied.

"I have a prior engagement tonight..." The lack of elaboration incited the other two at the table to exchange looks, knowing it meant it was something family related and should be left alone.

"That's alright... We can hang around and you can join later?" Ominis seemed to cheer up slightly at the notion that he could join, as if this meant the thoughts his mind drifted to would hopefully not come to fruition. He gave a small nod, sitting quietly as the conversation between his companions continued on with complaints of homework and other such topics.

***

She held the small rabbit in her hands as the grin spread across her face. She looked over at Sebastian expectantly, glowing at the look of pride he gave her as he smiled back.

"Not so difficult after all!" Sebastian placed a hand on her back as she cast her gaze back down at the animal as it wandered about in her palms, fur tickling her fingers and eliciting small giggles as she watched it.

"I wish Ominis could have seen it. Or I suppose heard it." A hum sounded from Sebastian beside her as he reached over to pet the rabbit before she pulled out her wand and transformed it back into a teacup.

She set the cup down on a barrel as Sebastian settled down against the wall. She decided to place herself between his legs so that she sat sideways with her legs over one of his, leaning into his chest. One of Sebastian's hands settled on her waist, the other falling over her knee as she smoothed out her skirt.

She listened to his heart as it thumped in his chest, allowing the sensation to fill the silent room as a soft smile graced her lips.

"I'm glad you and Ominis are getting on." A small hum was made in response to his words.

"Me too..." Silence settled over the room, the sound of their breathing the only noise as they just dwelled on the feeling of each other. She felt like Sebastian brought a sense of comfort with him that until that moment she couldn't quite place her finger on, but listening to his heartbeat, it finally clicked into place.

"I think I love you..." Her voice was so quiet that Sebastian almost missed it, but as he heard her, every muscle in his body tensed as he processed her words. She had said it so unprompted that the shock rippled through his body as he tried to piece together a response. But in his arms she remained still, an odd air of calm radiating from her. Her name rang out in warning, though Sebastian could get little more than that out of his throat.

She chuckled weakly from below, pressing her head further into his chest.

"But I don't think I'm in love with you."

She finished her thought, but it only left Sebastian in a state of confusion. But the notion that she wasn't in love with him allowed his muscles to relax as he prompted her to continue.

"You were the first to ever talk to me like a real person, so I think I placed a lot on our relationship, because I'd had very little else to go on. Not to say I don't enjoy our time together." Sebastian pondered her words, before a soft smile arose on his face as he understood her meaning. His arms wrapped around her shoulders, pulling her firmly against her as he pressed a kiss into her hair.

"I am not in love with you either, though I do love you." She let out a small approving hum as they sat, glad to understand each other.

"I think I may be in love though..." Her next words were much more unsure, as if even she couldn't fathom the idea. Sebastian only chuckled. She was not the most subtle person, as she had little interaction before Hogwart's, and he'd figured it out long before.

Perhaps he had indulged himself in her a little longer than he should have once he knew, but he felt she needed the experience, and there was no point that she seemed uncomfortable with their arrangement either way.

"You don't sound sure." Sebastian pushed her to continue, knowing that coming to terms with her thoughts would probably help her in the long run.

"I suppose I know that I am. The issue comes with what I do next. I kind of feel as if I have already been so lucky, that if I dare push it further, I may ruin what little I have achieved already." Before he had time to reply, the sound of someone entering the Undercroft filled the silent surroundings, drawing the pairs attention to Ominis's arrival.

"Are you two still here?" His voice rang out as he held up his wand to look for his friends, earning him a fond smile from them both as they watched him from the ground.

"Indeed we are. Come join the cuddle pile." Ominis flinched at her words, though obliged her nonetheless as he settled himself at the side of Sebastian where her head rested. She in turn leant back further so that the back of her head rested in the crook of Ominis's neck, his arm moving to support her as she nestled into him.

"How did the spell practice go?" The atmosphere in the room was rather subdued, leading to their conversation being hushed and gentle against the silence of the large room.

"Rather well, in fact. I managed in the end, thanks to Sebastian." The man in question chuckled, rubbing his hand over her knee affectionately as he smiled.

"Can't take all the credit." She smiled at him before turning her attention back to Ominis, whose face she couldn't see from her position.

"How are you? Are you okay?" Ominis knew she had a sense about what he had just been up to, as her family was much like his. He simply leant his cheek against the top of her head and nodded, not allowing his family to ruin anymore of his time. The hand supporting her back made its way around her waist, and she promptly took his hand in hers, rubbing reassuring circles against his skin.

They could of sat like that for hours, and perhaps they may have until the sound of her soft snores filled the silence of the room.

"Is she-?" Ominis started with a whisper as Sebastian's quiet laughter rang out as he checked on her. In her rather comfortable position against the boys, and the late hour, she had fallen asleep.

Ominis couldn't help but listen to her gentle breathing, his own falling in sync as he caressed her hand in time with her chest rising and falling. He was only brought out of his hypnosis as Sebastian began to move, earning him a panicked look from Ominis.

"Relax. As much as I've enjoyed things recently, it's getting a bit tedious. I'm just going to move things along." As he whispered, Sebastian pulled out his wand, ignoring the confused look from his friend. Gently he lifted their sleeping companion, moving her ever so slightly to the side so that she lay against Ominis's chest as she had his own earlier in the night.

Ominis spluttered as his friend turned to leave, his whispered objections ignored as he was left alone in the room with the woman sleeping against him. His breath hitched as she shifted in his arms, but soon she stilled once more, head resting against him as his heart thundered in his chest.

He had never imagined being in such a position, let alone with the woman he had so forcefully been betrothed to. That being said, as he listened to her breathing once more, he found a sense of serenity had settled over him.

He tried to hold back his own disdain about her and Sebastian, hearing how happy their relationship made her. But despite this he couldn't help but wish to be in Sebastian's place, even for a moment. And here he was. But as he held her he couldn't help but feel the same strange feeling creep in the back of his mind that always did when he thought about her. He wasn't sure what it meant, and it nibbled at his thoughts and tarnished the way she made him smile just by being near.

As if sensing his discomfort, the body in his lap moved, and as her breathing became more irregular Ominis realised she was waking. He held his breath as her head lifted slightly, assessing her surroundings. She blinked, before dropping her head back into the green robe clad body beside her.

"Did Ominis leave?" Ominis couldn't help but notice the disappointment lacing her words, as quiet and sleep ridden as they were.

"No... I'm still here." He could feel her tense in his arms as he spoke, clearly not expecting him to be the one still holding her.

"O-oh... I'm sorry, I, uh, I didn't mean-" She moved to get up, but Ominis, almost as if by instinct, held her firmly against him.

"It's okay... I don't mind..." Her actions faltered before she relaxed and allowed herself to fall back against his chest. He could still feel her body was tensed, but the fact she was allowing him to remain holding her was enough for now.

They sat for a moment, and he could feel her relax the longer he held her in his arms. Slowly the arm supporting her back moved to rest on her waist, the other moving to gently claim her hand in his. She could hear his heart thundering in his chest, and she pressed her cheek further into his robe as to listen to every beat as it vibrated through her.

Slowly their fingers intertwined and their breathing fell in sync as they sat in silence, basking in the others warmth.

"To think we could have always had this..." Her voice filled his ears, making them burn with embarrassment. His head dropped to press itself against her hair, muffling his reply.

"Please don't remind me how stupid I've been." This elicited a soft chuckle from her, her laughter reverberating through his body as her shoulders shook. She could feel his lips ghosting over her skin as they grazed her forehead when he spoke.

"We got here in the end. I suppose I don't mind how." He could feel her smile against his shirt, and for a moment wondered how it would feel against his skin. Perhaps it was the late hour and the looming thought of sleep, but he allowed his head to drop a little lower. His lips pressed firmly against the skin of her forehead, lingering for a moment before pulling back, though only slightly.

He expected her to tense once more, but she seemed to melt further into his grasp, if that was even possible. His thumb drew firm strokes over the back of her hand, falling in sync once again with her breathing, or perhaps the other way around.

"I worry..." He so wanted to voice his thoughts, but something held him back. It was the same nagging feeling returning, scratching away at his sense of comfort.

"Go on..." Her voice was like a melody to his ears each time she spoke, and for a moment his apprehension melted away and let him get out the words he so craved her to hear.

"I worry, that, that the feelings I have, for you, are... Are fabricated through this sense of obligation I have to our engagement..." Had he not been so close, she might not have heard him as he muttered against her hair. She could feel her cheeks burn as she pondered his words.

"I thought the same, at first... But the more I get to know you, the more faith I have that, that even if we weren't betrothed, that we might still have found each other..." She had had a while to think of her future, and as a child she had imagined the man whom her fiancé might turn out to be. As she lay in his arms, basking in his warmth and his honest words, she knew that he was exactly the man she had once dreamed of and more.

As she spoke this truth to him in whispered tones, his grip around her tightened as he listened.

"I still do not believe myself to be the man you deserve..." He felt her shift as her head lifted and her hands placed themselves against his chest to push herself up. He could feel the warmth of her breath against his nose as she faced him, his free hand falling to rest on the other side of her waist. She smiled as she gazed at him, melting into the milky swirls that decorated his eyes.

"That's alright. After all, it's not your choice to make." He could hear the smile on her lips in her words and he revelled in it. There was something to her tone that meant he could always read her expression, and it was something so unique, perhaps even in just the way she spoke to him, as if she did it for him.

"Should I have had the choice, I would still choose you." He melted against her words. She was so vulnerable in the moment, her eyes flickering over his face to try to see his reaction. There was barely a space between them now, their breath intermingling and warming their lips as they waited for the other to act.

"I truly have been an idiot for far too long." Ominis barely managed to get out his murmured words before he pressed his lips against hers, and for a moment the world stopped and they were the only two people on Earth.

Kissing Sebastian Sallow was nice. He was warm, and gentle, and held her with care. Kissing him was safe.

Kissing Ominis Gaunt was bliss. Sparks ran through her skin as their lips moved together and she could think of little more than the things she would do to allow her to kiss him forever more. His lips against hers felt like being trapped in a storm and seeing a ship on the horizon, heading forward to rescue her from her torment.

Her hands gripped desperately against the fabric of his robes, bunching them between her fingers as he pulled her against him, barely breaking long enough to catch his breath before delving back into her, as if he needed her more than air.

When they finally did break apart, they sat with their foreheads pressed against one another as their pants rang out through the silent room. Her face burned against his skin, hands still clutching his clothing as his fingers held her waist just as tightly.

A moment of silence fell, before laughter resonated out from the woman in Ominis's arms as she shoved her face into the crook of his neck. His arms moved to snake around her body, pulling her against him as his own head fell to bury its way into her hair, his own laughter mixing with hers in a cacophony of joy.

She finally pulled away to allow herself to gaze at the face of her fiancé, adoration glazing over her features as she scanned every crease and every mole that made him up.

She loves him.

The truth came to her as easily as the next.

She wants to marry Ominis Gaunt.

Okumaya devam et

Bunları da Beğeneceksin

21.8K 987 24
**MATURE THEMES/SMUT** Picking up the pieces of a mess you didn't make is never a great experience. Walking into your seventh year, with an undeniabl...
9.1K 372 36
You find yourself once again in the arms of Sebastian Sallow, but with the added complication of your unexpected feelings towards your friend, Ominis...
10K 379 35
Sebastian Sallow, one of the most handsome, eligible bachelors at Hogwarts (and certified player, next to his bestie Ominis Gaunt), develops a crush...
1.1K 67 15
"I love you as certain dark things are to be loved, in secret, between the ...