Degrees Of Honor The Honor S...

By lyonmom

Running from a dangerous past has made Cassie McAfferty paranoid and extremely careful about who she lets in... More

Prologue
Chapter one
Chapter two
Chapter three
Chapter four
Chapter five
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Chapter 30
Chapter 31
Chapter 32
Chapter 33
Chapter 34
Chapter 35
Epilogue

Chapter 22

181 20 3
By lyonmom

Thank you for reading Enjoy

Chapter 22

Carol

With her bag packed and ready to go, I took one last look around my little townhouse. I turned off all the lights, and unplugged all the appliances. There is no reason to take any of those things with me. I'm sure Anthony will buy me new ones once I get where I am going. Although, I have to admit, I've truly enjoyed living in this home.

My son gave me a good life here. For so many months it's been just me here while he was in the brig. Now he is on his way to complete the plan we made, he made, I suppose is more accurate. It's unfortunate that he ran into such a nuisance of a snag. I have no doubt that Travis McKennan will be dealt with expeditiously. After that is handled, I know all too well what that means. My boy will need my help with finishing this job.

I had wanted to take my own car, but Anthony insisted on flying me out. I won't need my own weapons this time. Anthony has enough for both of us to be fully armed. I'm due for new furniture. The couch has seen better times and the bed is lumpy and uncomfortable. Anthony has already arranged for a new home and transportation for us once we get there. My son is meticulous about this assignment. Every step has been planned to the second. He has never failed me.

As I stepped out into the cool night air, I took one last look around. The taxi cab sat at the end of the drive patiently waiting for me. Picking up the single large bag, I closed the door silently behind me, knowing it would be for the last time. With my head held high I walked with a purpose to the cab. The driver took the bag and placed it in the trunk as I slid into the back seat.

"Where to, lady?" The cabbie asked over his shoulder as he slipped behind the wheel.

"The airport, I'm going to visit my son." Smiling as I looked back at my darkened home, the thought of reuniting with my boy fills my heart. Our revenge will happen soon.

Anthony

Casing the outside of the house is only a technicality. The thin wires that are setup around the perimeter had been well hidden. But then I knew what steps McKennan would have taken to secure the house. I have the same training as the man who set this up. I have a good idea just how McKennan would think about holding up inside.

Kneeling down in the soft dirt, I look around at the trap he's laid. Carefully, cutting each wire and deactivating each snare, one at a time I get closer to my revenge. I have to give McKennan credit. The exterior perimeter alarm was much tougher to locate than the interior. It took some time to get through it without setting off the alarm. But McKennan underestimated me as usual.

I will give him a thumbs up on effort. I almost missed two traps and I did have a close call but I anticipated the third trap and moved right through the rest. Dipping low under some wires, stepping gingerly over the next set that were placed just so, he could have caught me if I wasn't more alert, more aware, more everything compared to him. He would have assumed I would think I had at least one step between the traps. It was a nicely set-up, Anthony acknowledged. McKennan could be proud of his effort's when I cut him down.

Spraying a can of cooking spray into the bushes, I located the laser beam. Now we're getting to the high tech end. Impressive, and innovative design for a quick security solution. McKennan took some time, energy, and money, I can only assume, out of his own pocket, to set up this kind of rigging. But I came prepared.

Pulling the two double sided mirrors out of my pocket and placing them at just the right angle, the laser beams shot out in opposite directions. The ricochet of the beams opened up a small gap to get into the house. By splitting the beam, it allowed me to walk right in through the back door.

A simple pin twist would work on the door. A wiggle here and there, and bam, the job is done. The door to the kitchen slips open and closes without a sound behind me. It is so simple, you would think he would have at least given me a challenge. The door was reinforced steel, a good solid safety feature but the lock was the standard store bought deadbolts. McKennan probably couldn't find a higher end lock in this dinky town.

I've spent months in the brig planning and studying for this moment. I've prepared myself for any obstacle that could be placed in front of me. Even in the brig, it didn't take me long to figure out how to bust through one of those. Now with McKennan here to protect her, Cassie must think her safety is in good hands. She must believe that McKennan is better than I am. Too bad for her. Smiling at her inferior choice, she only made my job so much simpler. At least Cassie had done that right.

Silently through the cover of night and shadows, I crept through the house to survey my surroundings. I looked at the bottles in the sink, stinking with use that she had yet to clean. I wouldn't have tolerated that kind of negligence in my kitchen. More bottles sat on the counter waiting to be filled. Tutting to myself I continued my surveillance.

The fire in the living room is dying slowly. The soft sound of the wind whistling through the windows adds to the ambiance of the moment. So much she has half asses. So much is lying around just waiting to be finished. Cassie is slacking in her duties. It's time I remind her who is in charge. It's time she remembers I don't tolerate her disobedience.

Moving silently through the bottom level of the house, I can see the appeal of the house. It is a good solid structure. The kind of rustic house Cassie talked about, dreamed about having one day. It's too bad it will be her coffin. As I searched my way through the darkness, I came upon a small scarred desk piled with papers. I began to rifle through the mail on the top, bills and junk, nothing of use to me. The wrap around deck is a nice touch. The mountain views allow me a chance to find my best vantage points. The wood floors and the rustic atmosphere of the town is exactly what Cassie had wanted. And everything I detest.

Yes, it made sense Cassie would settle here. She found her dream home in this quiet little town. Too bad she didn't have more appropriate dreams. I'll bury her and McKennan out beyond the trees. She'll have the view for eternity then. My last gift to this ungrateful bitch.

Dropping the mail on the counter, I looked up at the stairs. "Soon, Cassie, I'll be seeing you soon." I whispered into the darkness and headed out of the house the way I came in. I'll blend back into the darkness of the woods and make my stand.

Travis

I stood at the upstairs window, watching the darkness. He's out there. Cassie is finally asleep in her bed, I don't want to disturb her. But I may not have a choice. The sounds of the floorboards creaking, the silent alarm I set on the doors all alerted me he was in the house.

I made it easy for him to get in. I wanted him to get comfortable, confident so he would make a mistake. He did. Standing in the shadows at the window I watch Dean slip into the shadows and make his way back into the woods. So getting in and out would be that simple for him.

The set up I had created wasn't elaborate but it was effective. It needed to seem simple and quickly executed. Anthony almost set it off further from the house. That would have been embarrassing for him when he was thrown back into the brig. I wonder what lie he would have told to justify his screwup?

The interior security, I have to admit, isn't nearly as well secured as I would have liked. But for good reason, I needed to know just what we are dealing with. It's been a while since I had the chance to observe Dean. He hasn't lost his touch, and now, I can set the real trap and get him locked up for good.

Cassie

The shrill of the phone broke the silence of the night. My body froze in the bed, my heart began pounding from the quick and urgent tone of the ring. I had been dreaming of Travis. I was dreaming about those stolen moments we shared.

For the first time in a long time, I'm believing in a man, and a life I didn't think I could have. For the first time everything seems possible. The second ring of my phone pulls me out of the daze as I shift in the bed to look at the phone. On the third ring I quickly reached over, thinking that it was Mel and she was in trouble. Not wanting the phone to wake my sleeping child, I answered the phone.

"Hello?" I feel drugged, tired as I answer the phone, still half asleep.

I'm not awake fully so my guard is down. Thanks to Travis I finally allowed myself to relax and didn't think when I answered that it could be trouble for us. Not until the silence greeted me did my stomach drop and my heart begin to pound. I feel sick to my stomach.

"Hello?" I ask again, this feeling so familiar and terrifying.

The familiar sound of a man's breath, the sound of his raspy voice makes me realize the nightmare isn't over. My eyes jerk to Travis, who is standing in the doorway. Panic fills me. My eyes widen as my grip on this phone tightens. My knuckles whiten and squeeze the phone as my body shakes with fear.

He watches my reaction, knowing I'm in trouble, he races to my side. He knows it's Anthony. Travis leans down and places his head next to mine to listen in. I can't stop from trembling as Travis slips his arm around my waist. Holding me protectively against his chest, Travis hears the voice on the other end of the call. The wheezy breath is eerie, the cold silence, deafening. Suddenly five words are whispered.

"Semper Fi, Do or Die." The voice I hear isn't that of an honorable Marine, but the terror of a madman.

Travis couldn't hear a thing, but from the way I'm shaking he knows something was said to scare the bejezzers out of me. My hands shook and grew clammy as I gripped tightly on the phone to keep from dropping it. Travis' eyes remain fixed on mine, his hand covers mine on the phone. I can feel the warmth drain from my body. Pulling back, my eyes meet his, with a desperate plea for help, I search his eyes for understanding. The first tear slips down my cheek. Travis knows who is on the phone. Our time is up. Quickly, he grabs the phone from me, intercepting the message that is being given. The anger burns in Travis's eyes as he listens to the caller.

"Dean!" Travis yells into the phone, but receives no reply.

The heavy breath of someone on the line stops. An evil, low laugh is the only response he receives. Travis frowns, watching me hug myself waiting, anticipating what comes next. He listens intently for something, anything, to tell him who is on the other end of the line. Nothing. After the laugh there's only silence filling the room. Travis disconnects the call and tosses the phone on the bed.

I'm hurt and angry. Travis sees the emotions on my face. Knowing the fear I'm facing, his temper starts to boil over. He isn't angry with me. I have to remind myself of that. His anger is directed at Anthony not me. He's protecting me and Jacob. I'm not afraid of Travis.

Travis

The son of a bitch is tormenting Cassie. He's purposely scaring her to make a point. He wants her scared, why?

Our time to figure things out is gone. We have to end this. Pacing away from Cassie to the window, I stared out at the dark shadows and looked for movement. Dean is out there, I've already seen him once. He knows we are together.

I have been watching the dark from different windows through my binoculars. Most likely Dean knows what happened between us. If he's watching us, he would have seen the intimacy between us. He's not going to like it.

Dean is a narcissist. To be rejected by Cassie, will infuriate him. He's a jealous person especially when he isn't getting the attention he wants. He sees Cassie as his property. He's furious that I touched her. He will be out for revenge.

Keeping my eyes focused on the trees, just at the end of the property line, I notice a shadow. It's slight but I see it. The slow movement of a person slipping back into the dark. It's the same spot the dog had run out from only a few days ago.

He's blended into the trees. Probably up against a large tree trunk hiding himself. The cowardly bastard! He's more comfortable in the shadows than to face me like a man. I don't expect anything more from him. He always did prefer the gutless way out.

I knew he was here, sneaking through the night. He always was a step behind me. We were lucky he didn't get upstairs. I would have ended this little game if he had come up here. It would have scared Cassie and frightened the kid. I would have killed him, and Cassie would be done with me.

Cassie slept through Dean's little tour through the house. It's lucky we weren't hooked up in bed again. He would have gotten quite the eyeful. It made me sick to think Dean had touched her, kissed her. The man knew nothing of the true meaning of bravery, honor, or loyalty.

He'll get his just due soon enough. And we'll play it my way now.

Anthony

Moving myself back into the shadows I worked my way deeper into the trees through the narrow path I had made for myself. It isn't a true path, but as a Marine, I'm able to get in and out of any area undetected. I was trained that way, just as McKennan had been. The difference is that I have used every skill that was taught to me, McKennan has fumbled his way through the corps. He kissed ass up the ranks, I used my skills.

I had to laugh when I saw him scouting the area for me. Here I was, tucked up high, perched in the trees as McKennan was busy surveying the ground below me. He didn't bother to look up. The idiot was right below me, searching for signs of an intruder on the forest floor. I wonder if it occurred to McKennan to search the skies. If it had, he might have seen me.

Gathering my pack from inside a hollowed out log, I moved swiftly and quietly through the forest. McKennan is like clockwork on his rounds. He will soon be out searching for me. I'll need to move quickly to get rid of this last obstacle in my way once and for all. Only then can I finish this assignment.

Travis

Cassie watched my face. Emotions rolled through me. The anger, the focus, the iciness I need to do my job, fills my veins. When I 'm on duty, this coldness keeps me detached, solitary and on edge. Turning away from her, I stared out the window to search the distant tree line. The shadows that dance along the darkness can be intimidating. The forest edge is just the beginning of hiding places for Dean to find sanctuary.

It's a daunting task to hunt for him out there. He has an edge over us right now. How long has he had to scout the area? How long has he been watching us? Does he know that I've taken Cassie to bed? That's gonna piss him off if he does know. Good, then we'll both be pissed.

When I turned back, Cassie was intently watching me. As if she was trying to determine what was going through my head. "I'm not angry with you."

"I know that. You're mad but it isn't directed at me. You're mad at Anthony for me." She's a quick study of body language and psychology. She would make a great partner. "I'm not afraid of you. I know you won't take your temper out on me. I also know better than to be on the receiving end of your temper."

She's a smart cookie.

The warm security I tried to give Cassie earlier is gone. I feel cold and empty now, even with her only a few steps away. She needs warmth and patience. A soft touch, a gentle smile to let her know everything will be okay. Determined to give her that even for just a moment, I moved to her. Sitting on the edge of the bed by her side, I laid my hand softly down her arm, until I could link my fingers through hers.

Taking a cleansing breath I closed my eyes. I didn't realize that I need to feel her touch as much as she needs mine. I'm finding it harder to keep my balance around her. It's as if I need her with me to keep from spiraling out of control. I have a lethal temper. I know just how dangerous I can be, but with a single touch, Cassie is able to soothe those emotions that suffocate me. I feel more centered when I can touch her. After all these years, I've finally found my center.

"Travis?" Her voice is timid and soft as she strokes my arm. "Is he out there?"

Nodding, I get up to pull the blinds closed. It's time to settle this. "Go to Jacob's room, lock yourself in with him until I come get you. Do not open the door, Cassie. No matter what you hear out here. You stay locked inside." My order was cold and concise as I went to the closet.

The Marine in me has woken. I am on alert and aware of the duty I've been assigned. The man who had been so gentle and caring a moment ago is gone. At least for the time being. I have to be detached now, I have a job to do and I can't think of Cassie's feelings or how much I want to protect her. I can only see my target and eliminate my enemy.

"Travis? I don't want you to go after him. I know how dangerous he is. I don't want him to hurt you." She's scared of Dean, that makes her scared of me. I'm just like him. A soldier to the core. A lethal weapon ready to kill when necessary.

"He won't hurt me. He won't get that chance. Stay with Jacob, Cassie. I mean it." Going to her, I kiss her forehead and head to the back room.

The room I was supposed to have. Not Cassie's bed, but the one on the floor. I can't let my heart rule while I need to focus on my job. I need her to do as I ask without question so I can focus on my duty.

Quickly, I went to the closet and reached up to the top corner. I drew out my 9mm and ammunition I had stashed there the first night I moved in. As I began loading the pistol, Cassie slipped into the room and sat on the bed behind me, watching in dismay. She knows what is about to happen.

Understanding what I am about to do, what I'm willing to do to keep her safe, my orders must be followed. Cassie can't be a part of my job, she can't see what is going to happen. She will never look at me the same way again. By the look in her eyes, I'd say she's in agreement.

Keeping a stern tone in my voice and a hard look in my eyes, I have to get her to move quickly. "Cassie go to Jacob, NOW. Call for help if you can, but you have to stay put."

"Where are you going?" She's stalling me. She doesn't want me to leave her and Jacob alone.

Cassie isn't stupid. She knows the answer, but the words spilled out anyway. She's not just scared for their safety, but for mine as well. If anyone knows Anthony's temper, how volatile and unstable he is, it's Cassie. She knows too well what kind of damage the man could infuse on someone when he felt the urge. Dean enjoys torture. He thrives on the thrill of the hunt. Dean will take great pleasure in the pain he inflicts on me, if he is able to get a hold of me before I get him.

"He's out there. He's been watching you, watching us. He knows about us. Cassie, don't be fooled to think he doesn't." The irritation is evident in my voice. "I'm gonna finish this once and for all, for you, for Jacob and for us." I turned to her, my eyes full of ice and fire.

It's an intimidating look on my face. I know how hard and terrifying I can be. It's extremely frightening to see my kind of temper in full swing. My eyes focus on Cassie and the fear in her eyes. Giving myself a moment to breathe I have to remember what Dean has put her through.

Rubbing my tired eyes, I moved back into the room to her. Tucking the pistol in the back of my jeans, I reach out to hold her shoulders in my hands. Softly, I rub my fingers over her skin. "I'll be okay, but only if I know that you are doing exactly what I say. You have to stay safe so I can focus on my job. I have to go out there and not worry about you. Do you understand that?"

"Yes. You can't be distracted by me or Jacob." She looks so sad and scared.

"That's right. If you want me safe then I need you to be too. You need to call for help, Doc Earl or Mel, someone who can stay with you while I'm gone. I can't leave until I know someone is here for you. I won't leave you alone." That's beyond my job but knowing who I'm dealing with, I don't trust Dean to not circle back to the house for her the minute I leave.

Cassie's lips tightened together as she nodded. My hands move with a mind of their own, sliding up her neck to cup her face. Tilting it up so she is looking directly into my eyes, my features soften. She and Jacob are the only things that matter. This woman has given me a reason to come out of those woods. She and her son have given me hope for a future.

My lips came down on hers to softly make contact one last time. Pulling back, leaving only enough room to speak. "Please, Cassie, right now I have to do my job."

I swore a duty to protect Cassie and her child. The Colonel made it clear, if I have to put my life on the line, so be it. This is my duty. I no longer care what the Colonel ordered me to do. I only care that Cassie and Jacob are safe no matter what. The time will come when I have to face the Colonel again. I will have to tell him to keep his money. I will have to own my actions and come clean to the man I've admired through my entire career.

I don't want to get paid for this job anymore. I'm not doing this for the money. I only want to be able to claim the Colonel's daughter and grandson as my own. I will ask the Colonel for Cassie's hand, but until then I will be sure she is safe and sound.

Cassie did as I asked. She went in the other room and picked the phone up off the bed to call Mel. She is the closest person to get to the house the quickest. It seemed like the logical choice for both of us. Mel knows how to work a gun. She even told Cassie she would teach her some time. Cassie never took her up on the offer. She had been too scared. Now, I'm guessing she wished that she had taken the lessons. If Cassie knew how to use a gun, I could feel a little better that she could protect herself.

The phone rang twice before a groggy voice answered. Cassie explained with as limited information as she could that she needed Mel to come over to the house immediately. Without a lot of set she explained that there's someone out in the woods. Telling Mel that I'm going after them, but didn't want to leave her alone, Cassie convinced her friend of the dire situation.

Cassie left out a large chunk of information about Dean and the danger he poses, none of which Mel really needs to know right now. Eventually, Cassie will have to fill in the blanks, but for now she only said what was necessary to get Mel to move.

Travis

Telling Cassie she was on her way, I gathered my gun and ammunition that I had bought right after Cassie moved here. Doc said she would need our help one day. I guess this is it. I woke my roommate and let her know I had to leave for an emergency and to keep an ear out for my own sleeping child. Without even peeking in on my baby I quickly left my house.

Grabbing my cell phone from my bag, I jumped into the car and pressed the speed dial. "It's going down now. You better call John, now."

Please remember to vote comment and share if you're enjoying this book thank you

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

660 132 17
When turning back isn't an option, what does it take to delve into the unknown? After a troubled upbringing in the foster care system, Gemma Haywood...
144K 5.3K 52
Maxon Blake has finally found the woman of his dreams. Convincing her wasn't easy. She got away from him once but no more. Now, he will do anything...
4.4K 324 27
Book Two of the Military Series UNEDITED COMPLETED Kasey 'Kase' Jennings Her parents are loaded by running a famous company, but when they neglect t...
98.5K 1.2K 6
The wrong man will always find a reason to leave, while the right man will find every reason to Stay The Full Circle has made a name for itself as ha...