The Author's Will

By rozure

❝ 𝐘𝐨𝐮 𝐦𝐚𝐝𝐞 𝐦𝐞 𝐚 𝐬𝐞𝐥𝐟𝐢𝐬𝐡 𝐦𝐚𝐧... 𝐒𝐡𝐨𝐮𝐥𝐝𝐧'𝐭 𝐲𝐨𝐮 𝐭𝐚𝐤𝐞 𝐫𝐞𝐬𝐩𝐨𝐧𝐬𝐢𝐛𝐢𝐥𝐢... More

Prologue
Author's Note
 ༒
01 | Newborn
02 | Newborn
03 | Newborn
04 | Newborn
05 | Newborn
06 | Newborn
07 | Newborn
08 | Newborn
09 | Newborn
10 | Little Sprout
11 | Little Sprout
12 | Little Sprout
13 | Little Sprout
14 | Little Sprout
15 | Little Sprout
16 | Little Sprout
17 | Little Sprout
18 | Little Sprout
19 | Summer Flowers
20 | Summer Flowers
21 | Summer Flowers
22 | Summer Flowers
23 | Summer Flowers
24 | Summer Flowers
25 | Summer Flowers
26 | Summer Flowers
27 | Summer Flowers
28 | Summer Flowers
29 | Summer Flowers
30 | Icicle Eyes
31 | Icicle Eyes
32 | Icicle Eyes
33 | Icicle Eyes
34 | Icicle Eyes
35 | Icicle Eyes
36 | Icicle Eyes
37 | Icicle Eyes
38 | Icicle Eyes
39 | Icicle Eyes
40 | Mirrored Blades
41 | Mirrored Blades
42 | Mirrored Blades
43 | Mirrored Blades
44 | Mirrored Blades
45 | Mirrored Blades
46 | Mirrored Blades
47 | Mirrored Blades
48 | Mirrored Blades
49 | Mirrored Blades
50 | Mirrored Blades
51 | Mirrored Blades
52 | Mirrored Blades
53 | Mirrored Blades
54 | Mirrored Blades
55 | Mirrored Blades
55.5 | Passage of Time
56 | White Aster
57 | White Aster
58 | White Aster
59 | White Aster
60 | White Aster
61 | White Aster
62 | White Aster
63 | White Aster
64 | White Aster
65 | White Aster
66 | White Aster
67 | White Aster
68 | White Aster
69 | White Aster
70 | White Aster
71 | Time Limit
72 | Time Limit
73 | Time Limit
75 | Time Limit
76 | Time Limit
77 | Time Limit
78 | Time Limit
79 | Time Limit
80 | Time Limit
81 | Time Limit
82 | Time Limit
83 | Time Limit
84 | Time Limit
85 | Time Limit
86 | Time Limit
87 | Time Limit
88 | Time Limit
89 | Time Limit
90 | Time Limit
91 | Time Limit
92 | Time Limit
93 | Time Limit

74 | Time Limit

1.9K 151 70
By rozure

   "Irene... Didn't you receive Daniel's proposal?"

Mikael's voice wavered slightly with those words, and she could tell there was a tiny crack of urgency breaking his usual composure. But what surprised her more was him asking her something like that at all.

His question brought forth a glimpse of a flashback to when the ball happened, not too long ago. The image of Daniel's earnest face as he asked her to form an engagement with him, and the way her heart raced. Just remembering it made Irene's cheeks burn a little.

Mikael... Knows about that?

As far as Irene knew, she hadn't told anyone about it except Snow. Maybe the first prince discussed it with Mikael, but he didn't seem like the type that would divulge something like that... Right?

For now, she thought carefully about how to respond, yet ended up telling him the truth. "...He did, during his introductory ball. But he retracted it soon after, because of what happened to Mother," she explained, lowering her gaze. "I think he was being considerate, because we have a lot on our plate at the moment..."

The blonde listened quietly, before responding. "Then he will probably ask you again when it's a better time."

He seemed so sure of that, from the way he said it. Irene wondered if Daniel and Mikael were in cahoots about the matter, so she glanced up at him with a questioning look. "Why do you know about that anyway?" She asked. "It's like you want me to marry him."

Mikael easily evaded her curiosity and changed the subject. "That's not important. What was that you were murmuring about Isabella being future empress?" As he crossed his arms, Irene flinched when she realised he had her held like a hostage.

Avoiding the question and asking his own. Classic Mikael.

I can't tell him the truth, obviously... She thought, thinking back on the original novel she wrote in her previous life. Even if after so much had changed and this world deviates from the plot in many ways, there were still some things she wished wouldn't have changed.

Daniel and Isabella's relationship being one of them.

In the eyes of everyone else, Irene Cherliann was the greatest candidate to take up the position of empress. Even Mikael seemed to believe that, evident from the way he was startled by her words just now. But the person residing within Irene's body had other ideas.

A part of her deep down was still tied to the plot. She knew her character originally died at the hands of both Mikael and Daniel, and she knew there was no one with more potential to become empress than Isabella. Perhaps the other characters were looking down on her now, because Isabella hadn't proved herself much.

Irene wasn't against becoming empress herself, but such an important role in this kingdom would have been filled with uncertainty and hardship. Daniel was someone capable of handling all of that and taking it upon himself, but...

If she were to become empress, it would mean marrying him. As much as she adored the original male lead in her story, she couldn't seem to imagine herself at his side. After all, they didn't know each other well.

"I-Is there..."

Mikael's voice trembled, as though overcome by a realisation which turned him slightly timorous. Irene glanced up at him with confusion as he turned his head away ever so slightly. Her eyes widened at the sight of his ears peaking from beneath his soft blonde hair.

They were glowing red.

"Is there someone else... You like?"

Mikael's question was hesitant, and she couldn't see his face from behind the mask. But those words, for some bizarre reason, made her face grow hot.

"E-Eh...? Why are you asking me that?—"

He straightened up, as though shaking off his embarrassment. "Well I don't see any reason for you to reject Daniel, unless you liked someone else," he grumbled, crossing his arms. "After all, he is handsome. And he's caring, and smart, and always does his best for those around him."

Why don't you marry him instead, then? Irene was so tempted to blurt that out, but kept her mouth closed. But he seemed to be watching her and waiting for a reason.

Irene averted her gaze. "I mean... I don't disagree with you, but that isn't it. I just don't think I'd make the best Empress..."

Mikael shook his head. "No, you're perfect for the position. It's still too early to say anything since we're all young, but I know you'd do just fine."

She fixed him with a clinical gaze. "...Do you want me to become empress too?"

"Yeah."

Mikael answered without hesitation, but for some bizarre reason, it felt like he had just cut something off. Irene didn't know why, but a thought came to her in that moment.

What about Mikael?

She spaced out a little bit whilst contemplating this question. If Daniel and Irene were to become Emperor and Empress, what would the second prince do? Of course he was loved by many people now — but it was likely some people among the aristocracy would see him as a threat.

Meaning his presence in the empire would worry the people. Even if he had no interest in the throne, there would probably be some who desired to see him take up the position.

And Mikael never really liked Laydel to begin with, which was understandable. It seemed he was only sticking around now because...

Because he wants to finish his studies...

For some reason, thinking about this made Irene feel a great sense of loneliness. For the longest time, the boy in front of her was by her side. Mikael Laydel was originally someone she needed to ensure would not become a villain - and naturally, she ended up growing closer to him to prevent that from happening.

The way he was now, was perfect for ensuring there were no conflicts between the brothers. Not only was Mikael against becoming emperor, but he got along with those around him. He and Daniel finally reunited and spent almost all their time training together at the Cherliann estate.

But what about in the future? Once Daniel took the throne, and everyone else grew up, where would Mikael find his place? He only lived with the Cherlianns now to complete his studies - but once they were over... Where would he go?

Irene's heart raced with unease at the thought. She didn't know why she only realised this now. Perhaps she was so focused on making it through the present, the future of those closest to her slipped her attention.

Without realising it, Irene gently reached her hand out to the boy standing in front of her. Her fingers gently clung to his airy sleeve, tugging it ever so slightly towards her.

The action caught him completely off guard. Mikael gasped softly beneath his mask, staring wide-eyed through the holes for eyes at the perturbed girl in front of him, and then down at her small hand. Neither of them said anything, but as Irene gazed straight ahead at the blonde young man, she couldn't help but feel like he was oceans away from her in that moment.

She didn't say anything. Neither did he.

It felt like it had been hours standing like that, until Mikael sighed softly. She hoped he break the silence with something that would give her assurance, even if it was small. But Irene felt disappointed when the prince used his free hand to gently remove her hold on him.

"...Come on, we should go find the others."

Even though his intonation was gentle, Irene felt her chest ache at those words. But she nodded her head, unable to find anything to say. She herself didn't really understand these feelings. Perhaps it was a loneliness she felt knowing someone she cared deeply for, was going to be around her less one day.

The two soon left the area, and followed the flow of a thinning crowd down the festival, as people were beginning to head home for the evening. Irene never thought she would find herself feeling down at the sight of these warm golden festival lamps, and the smiling faces of the people around her.

Just as the two began to walk into a more open street, Mikael caught a glimpse of Daniel, Rayvis and Isabella in the distance. Their worried expressions as their heads scanned the area was somewhat amusing. They were probably wondering where we went.

Turning to Irene following behind him, Mikael smiled faintly behind the mask. "Irene, look, the others are just up ahead-"

He stopped.

Mikael stared at Irene for a moment, his eyes watching her in bewilderment.

She seemed to be staring in the direction of a dark alleyway, nearby. But her expression was what caught him completely off-guard.

Those golden eyes were gaping up in shock, as her face contorted into a horrified stare.

The colour drained from her face.

Mikael peered at her with confusion, she raised a trembling hand towards the dark, completely unlit alleyway several metres away. He tried to follow her gaze, but couldn't see anything there.

"I-Irene...?" As Mikael reached out to touch her arm, his voice washed over with concern. "What's the matter? What are you looking at?"

"W-Why is..." Irene's expression began to take on a furious one, mixed with terror. "Why is that woman alive...?!"

Mikael tried to follow her gaze, but could see nothing in the empty space Irene pointed towards with such strong fear in her eyes. Little did he know, the smiling figure of an elderly lady was stood there - shrouded in a black cloak. Her old, wrinkled face smiling eerily at them as a cloud of darkness hovered at her feet.

Sophia Cather.

The woman who abused Mikael, tried to kill Irene, and died by his hands in the past.

Irene saw it with her own eyes. Ms Cather, the second prince's nanny, had been decapitated right in front of her several years ago.

So what the hell was she doing, standing there watching them, with the most ominous smile on her face?

Irene could hardly believe her eyes. The fact that Mikael was unable to see anything there was difficult to believe, but Irene's heart pounded so fast, she didn't know what to do.

Every inch of her body was paralysed by stone-cold fear.

Just then, she noticed the old woman's lips beginning to move. She couldn't hear what she said, but as Irene read her pale lips, her eyes widened.

"We are waiting for you."

Suddenly — a piercing, sharp pain jolted through Irene's chest, causing her to cry out from the sensation. "Ack!-"

As she clutched her chest, Irene felt her body losing its strength almost immediately. Mikael gasped, capturing her in his arms before she could fall.

"Irene!" He yelled out, heart racing as he peered into those glowing, golden eyes. The sudden radiance in Irene's eyes caught him by surprise, but it was then that he realised her body was suddenly burning up, and she was having difficulty breathing.

He recognised this symptoms very well.

No way... Is she awakening?!

Right here?!

Without wasting another second, Mikael scooped her limp body up into his arms as Irene descended into unconsciousness. The last thing she saw, was his masked face - a blur of brown and blonde hair which swayed with his movements.

"Mi...kael..."

Before he could reach the others, Irene had already passed out. Mikael hurriedly darted through the crowd of moving people, manoeuvring around them with ease as he held Irene securely in his arms. The warmth of her body continuously growing into a burning hotness - it felt like she would suddenly burst into flames.

The moment he drew close enough for Daniel, Isabella and Rayvis to notice him, he watched their eyes tremble widely at the sight of Irene.

"We need to get back to the estate, now!" Mikael shouted with urgency.

"What happened?!" Despite his state of shock and hands gently brushing the stray hairs off his sister's feverish face, Rayvis maintained his composure as much as he could.

   "I don't know why, but..." Mikael swallowed, out of breath. "Her awakening... Just started!"

______________________

NOTE

Writing this chapter was exciting. Things are finally moving forward with this plot and full-speed ahead ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) I can't wait to see how people react to the coming arc of the story.

Please do leave comments on your thoughts I worked hard on this :')

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

242K 9.5K 32
Suddenly, I appeared before the goddess of love and beauty without a single clue of my death, and reincarnated as Amarizi Linh von Ahlefeldt, the sol...
285K 12.4K 54
❝If you're reading this, then that means I'm dead❞ Delilah Reverdin, a normal girl, was reincarnated as Clara Skotadi, the ultimate rival slash villa...
177K 8.7K 50
My name is Alex Cruz, I'm a omega, so I'm just a punching bag to my pack. But Emma, Queen of werewolves Sam, queen of dragons Winter, queen of vampi...
62.4K 1.7K 19
What will happen if Wanda Maximoff a.k.a the scarlet witch accidentally plays with other realities on earth and makes herself thrown into Middle Eart...