Pokémon x Male Reader-The Sou...

Por BeanHam

Pokémon are incredible creatures. Some are terrifying, some are adorable, and others are something in between... Más

Chapter 1-Wilderness Survival For the Short of Luck
Chapter 3-The Old Lady
Chapter 4-An Overly Dramatic Detour
Chapter 5-Thoroughly Schooled
Chapter 6-Held Hostage
Chapter 7-Force of Nature
Chapter 8-Parenting 101
Chapter 9-"Living Legend"
Chapter 10-The Ascension
Chapter 11-Surf's Up
Chapter 12-Brought Down to Mortal
Chapter 13-Sets of Threes
Chapter 14-Natural Disaster, Interpersonal Disaster
Chapter 15-Sand In Unfortunate Places
Chapter 16-A Poor Night's Sleep
Chapter 17-Hammer Of Judgement
Chapter 18-Cornered In the Open

Chapter 2-No Money?

3.3K 80 72
Por BeanHam

A/N: More exposition/fluff in this chapter.

If I mysteriously disappear and never upload chapter 3, just know that organic chemistry was responsible for my untimely demise.

I also don't own Pokémon. If I did, conquest would have had a sequel by now.

————————————————————————

"It was quite a fight."

"I'll say," replied the ranger. After a brief exchange of names, you had come to know him as Forrest. You were currently seated on a passenger seat in the helicopter.

After making sure the area was secure, the ranger and his partner who had been piloting the helicopter took to tending to the injuries of you and the Pokémon. One of the Spearow had taken the worst of the damage from Pinsir. It's wing was bent in the wrong direction, with some of the feathers torn off completely. However, because Pinsir's attack did not directly connect with any of the Pokémon, most of the damage was ultimately mitigated.

The ranger had also informed you that all Pokémon were naturally quite hardy, which made sense considering the apparent magnitude of the attacks they seemed to throw at each other. Broken bones that would have left a human permanently crippled were insignificant to a Pokémon.  Some rest and healing items would render the damage inconsequential by the next day.

A sharp pain shot through your leg, and you gritted your teeth. "Sorry about that," said the ranger. "But I need to see your wound." In the fight, something had left a large cut on one of your legs. You guessed you had tripped on a rock or something.

In spite of that, adrenaline did its job, and you only noticed you even had the wound when you saw a trickle of red from beneath your nightclothes.

Ranger Forrest then pulled out a small, purple bottle. With a spray of the medicine, the small wound on your leg began to close. Soon, a thin scar was all that remained of the cut. Forrest stood up, and faced you. "You can answer some more of our questions on the ride back."

"The ride back? Where are you taking me?"

"To our station, just a bit north of Accumula." Noticing the uneasy look on your face, the man let out a bit of a chuckle. "You're not in trouble (y/n), but when we find a random civilian in the wilderness, we obviously need to make sure everything is alright."

"And that's especially true when we're right off the back of one of the worst wildlife disasters in recent history." Forrest's partner, a woman named Annie, had stepped back into the helicopter. She wore a similar uniform to Forrest, with only some small visual differences. A friendly looking Cinccino with beautiful, silky fur accompanied her.

Filing that comment away for later, you took the time to ask another question that had been on your mind. "And what about Pinsir, what will happen to it?"

Forrest sighed, "That old fool's been terrorizing the wildlife for years now. Though now that it apparently attacked another Trainer, we'll probably have to put it into rehab."

You frowned, "Why couldn't you do that before?"

"There's certain rules about this stuff, kid. No matter how cruel it may seem, it's our duty to preserve the ecosystem in its most natural form," Annie answered. "And that includes letting Pokémon like this alpha Pinsir here roam free. That is, unless they are deemed a significant threat to the environment or human life."

"There are obviously some exceptions, and Pinsir here is one such case. We'll sedate and then bring it back to our base, and we'll take care of things from there," Forrest added. "Though while we're on the topic, your friend here really did a number on the bastard. I thought for sure there was a rampaging Seismitoad when I heard that burst of noise."

Shirking at the attention, Meloetta returned to its previous position hidden behind your back.

At that moment, Stoutland bounded back into the scene. The Pokémon let out a low bark, and stood at attention. "Return!" Called Forrest, and after a burst of red light, the Pokémon returned to its Pokéball.

Some garbled noise sounded from the walkie-talkie of Annie's waist, and she raised it to her mouth. "We'll be back within the hour, just taking care of the injured." She then turned to you. "Well kid, time to say your goodbyes."

You turned to the crowd of wild Pokémon, taking a few steps out of the helicopter. Even though you had only known them a few days, it was still a bit sad to have to leave them behind. "Well guys, it's been a bit rough, but I'm still glad I got to meet you."

After a brief pause, you continued. "Sorry...I couldn't help you all protect your home better." Yes, Pinsir was taken care of, but the riverbanks were still a mess. It would take months, possibly even years for them to be returned to their previous state.

Linoone then stepped forward, nudging her nose into your palm. You gently patted her snout, to which she licked your hand in response. You chuckled, "I-I'd like to come back someday. Whe-When I'm better prepared of course!"

A chorus of cries rang out among the Pokémon. There was no disdain or anger in their eyes. You had fought alongside them, and they were grateful. Linoone then peered over your shoulder, before giving a happy bark as thanks to Meloetta.

"It did save the day, after all."

Meloetta smiled, then gave a small bow in response. You then turned to your fellow humans.

"You ready?" Asks Annie, and you nod in response as you step onto the plane. You and Meloetta give one last wave as the helicopter takes off. The wild Pokémon got smaller and smaller, until they disappeared entirely.

Their forms were lost among the thicket of trees.

"So," begins Forrest, "How did you end up in the middle of nowhere?"

You contemplated lying, saying that you had gotten lost on a hiking trip, but that explanation would surely backfire at some point. Besides, honesty was supposedly the best policy. "I don't know," you answered.

The ranger leaned forward, "You...don't know?"

"I-I was just asleep one moment, and the next...I woke up in the middle of nowhere."

"Say (y/n), where are you from?"

Oh, that was easy. You were from-

Wait a minute, where were you from? You found yourself unable to remember. You recalled memories of your childhood and your family. You remembered Pokémon, but not...where you lived your entire life."

What?

Of all things, why was that missing?

"I-I," you gulped. "I...don't know that either." Your head began to pound, and you felt nauseous. Sensing your distress, Meloetta wrapped its tiny limbs around your arm. Worry was written across its face.

"How...strange," muttered Forrest. He then shifted the conversation away from that line of thinking, and asked for a rundown of your time spent in the woods. Thankfully, that was easy to provide. In as much detail as possible. You told him everything.

From when you first woke in the middle of nowhere, up until the confrontation with Pinsir. Inevitably, you reached the topic of the third night, where you heard all that chaos.

"Salamence," said Forrest simply.

"What?" You lamely responded.

"A wild Salamence went on a rampage some nights ago. The time lines up with what you told me. That's actually why we were here, to survey the destruction from that whole catastrophe," explained Forrest.

"Imagine our surprise when we saw something tearing up the rest of the forest," added Annie, looking back from the cockpit. "That was when we found you."

That cleared up some things. An angry dragon type was definitely capable of causing some mayhem. But why would it go berserk?

"What the hell set it off?" You asked. "Why would it burn down its own territory?"

"Ah," Forrest frowned. "But this forest was not Salamence's hunting grounds. He was forced out of his own home."

You had to let that one stew for a bit. You didn't know how game logic and the strength of Pokémon translated over to this new world. But, whatever could send a pseudo-legendary dragon type packing was absolutely not to be messed with. Uneasiness grew in your stomach.

The ranger took your silence as a sign to elaborate. "That Salamence was the alpha Pokémon of route 17, in the same vein as Pinsir was for the forest. It's been around for over 30 years, back when my father protected these lands just as I do now." Forrest paused. "As far as I know, It's never once lost a fight."

"Look alive boys! We're almost back to base!" Annie called out. From the window, you could see a large wooden building, with a sloping white roof come into view.

You felt relief, you were finally home free! But then-

"Uh-oh."

Forrest looked over, and his face fell. "You alright kid. You don't look so well?"

...

You were currently laying on a bed in what seemed to be the infirmary. "Just a minor case of airsickness" is what the doctor had told you. Nothing major, but you were just glad you had a bed to lay in. Speaking of beds, the rangers had decided that you were to stay the night at their facility, just as a precaution. They wanted you sufficiently healthy before they sent you away. Tomorrow, you would be taken to Accumula town.

During your time in the bed, a member of the local law enforcement was brought to speak with you. As it turned out, your case was not an entirely unique one. On rare occasions, the actions of malicious psychic type Pokémon could result in situations very similar to yours. People lost in the middle of nowhere, with parts of their memory missing. From what you had gathered, some criminal groups also had used psychic tampering as a less messy means of disposing of potential threats to them. The blame could then be shifted onto a random wild Pokémon, and the perpetrators could walk free.

Of course, using psychic powers to tamper with the minds of people was highly illegal, for reasons you didn't want to fully get into. Some trainers sanctioned by the league were allowed to do so, but only under very specific circumstances.

Unfortunately, what this also meant was that you were under a form of protection, which would keep you confined in Accumula town for the time being. Law officials needed to ensure that no criminal group was going to come after you.

This meant any form of a grand journey would have to get out on a brief hold. Not a huge deal. You weren't planning on setting off on some crazy adventure right away, as you'd had enough of the great outdoors for the time being.

Going on a journey would also cost money, and you were flat broke.

So, your plan from here was somewhat obvious.

As part of your protection, you would be provided free housing and food at a local hotel. From there, you could find a means of earning money, and also hopefully learn more about the world you were in. After you gathered sufficient funds and knowledge, you could then set off with Meloetta.

The door suddenly swung open, and the doctor who had examined you earlier entered with two trays of food. You were handed a Panini with a side of what looked like pasta salad. Meloetta, who had been resting in a chair next to your bed, was given a tray of Pokémon kibble.

Apparently there were several distinct flavors of the food, with each specifically created with one of the eighteen primary types in mind. Meloetta's typing had not been available on whatever database they had used to search for Pokémon, so you had to specifically request the normal and psychic variants of the brand.

"If you need anything, just give a holler! The tv remote and a list of channels are on the table to your left," the doctor called back as he left the room.

Meloetta stirred back to consciousness, and began digging into its food. Based on the Pokémon's reaction, it was safe to assume the food was quite tasty.

You dug into your own food as you began to surf the channels, before coming to a program called 'Pokémon Focus'. The show was just that, giving an in depth look at a specific team member of a famous trainer.

Today's episode was on Marshall's Mienshao, the ace Pokémon of Unova's fighting type elite four.

And holy hell, was he an incredible Pokémon. The Pokémon seemed flawless in appearance, possessing gleaming fur layered over a powerful musculature. Even through the screen, you could feel the aura of relaxed confidence Mienshao exuded.

But the Pokémon's appearance was nothing in comparison to its combat prowess. Even with the program slowing down the footage of his battles down to a twentieth of its original speed, the Pokémon was still an invisible blur.

The program also highlighted some of the incredible ways that the Pokémon could combine his moves together. For example, the Pokémon would use the flawless movement of his Acrobatics in order to get close, and then execute a simultaneous Close Combat and Drain Punch combo. The result was an absolutely unstoppable flurry of devastating blows that left Mienshao looking like he had just come out of the nearest Pokémon center. Any trace of prior injury had nearly vanished entirely.

Though in your opinion, the crowning moment had to be when Mienshao split a Hyper Beam down the center with the Air Pressure released from a High Jump Kick. Said air pressure then completely pulverized the opposing Pokémon, as well as the arena the battle was taking place in.

"That poor Darmanitan. My man did not deserve that."

You felt your jaw drop lower and lower as the program continued to show the absurd feats that a high level Pokémon could pull off. It made your battle with Pinsir yesterday look relatively tame by comparison.

However, just as impressive as the Pokémon was its trainer. Even in the background, the way Marshall was able to flawlessly adapt to the current battle situation was undoubtedly clear. He never once lost focus, or hesitated when making his decisions.

This is the power of an elite four member, and you still had a long way to go if you ever wanted to get there.

Meloetta also seemed rather impressed by the overpowered fighting type, especially when the episode shifted its focus to the grace of the Pokémon. You almost let out a laugh when you saw Meloetta (between bites of food) mimicking some of the poses Mienshao struck.

...

After polishing off the remainder of your food, you had left to get cleaned up and go shower before bed.

You could not fully express how nice it felt to feel clean, and like hell you would ever take warm water for granted again.

The rangers had even given you a pair of clothes to change into. It was really just one of those ugly gowns like the ones that hospitals give to patients, but you weren't about to criticize their generosity. Besides, they had said that they would get a nicer outfit for you tomorrow. You could finally retire the raggedy nightclothes you had spent a week in.

"And damn, did they start to stink after the first day."

You slipped on a rather comfy pair of slippers, which were apparently made from Wooloo fleece, and imported all the way from Galar. After brushing your teeth, you headed back down the hallway to where you were staying earlier.

You had given Meloetta the remote so that it could change the channel to whatever it pleased. And when you returned-

-'Officials say that over 60000 total acres of land were destroyed by the unidentified Pokémon. Route 17 will be closed off to the public indefinitely, in order to ensure their safety.'

You spin your head around the face of the television.
What you see is, well, horrifying. A wide shot, likely taken from the air, captures the devastation. At first glance, you see the charred remains of trees alongside devastated rock formations. Large canyons snake across the landscape. But...you then realize something.

From what little geography knowledge you recall, you remember that canyons are formed as the result of erosion. Thus, they are shaped by the movement of water through the area. Rivers do not flow perfectly straight. They curve and snake as the water flows. Therefore, the ravines the streams they form also adopt this shaping.

These gorges are perfectly linear, so perfect that it seemed impossible that they could have been formed naturally. They stretched across the length of the landscape. They were deep as well, hundreds if not thousands of feet deep, or so you guessed. A closer view by the camera revealed the edges of the gullies were covered in a clear layer of glass. No debris sat at the bottom of these artificial valleys. It was as if  millions of tons of rock had just...

Disappeared.

'It has been confirmed that the trail of destruction began on the eastern half of route 17, but officials have been unable to discern the exact location. If any-'

"Me-Lo?"

You turned down to face the Pokémon. Meloetta was curled into one of the blankets on the bed, a combination of fear and sadness written across its face.

Fumbling with the remote, you quickly turned off the television, before taking a seat next to the Pokémon. Unsure of what exactly to say, you wrapped your arms around the Pokémon.

Meloetta buried its face into your chest, and soon drifted off to sleep. Setting it onto a nearby pillow, you too turned in for the night.

As you lay there, you racked your brain to try and guess what Pokémon could have caused all of that mayhem. Presumably it was the same being who wrecked Meloetta's home, and overpowered that Salamence.

Was it a legendary Pokémon? Did an ultra wormhole somehow open up in Unova? You felt you were missing something obvious, but you couldn't figure it out for the life of you.

And so, frustration consumed your mind as you drifted off to sleep.

...

The day was relatively pleasant, if still a bit cold. You gazed out of the car window, watching as a pair of Tranquil flew past. Meloetta was seated next to you, it's expression one of curiously as it took in the surroundings of the vehicle.

"You doing alright back there (y/n)?" Called Forrest from the front seat.

"I'm alright," you replied. "Just...Just a bit nervous is all."

I mean, you were starting an entirely new life today.

Nothing too major.

Forrest's car also seemed like it could fall apart at any minute, which didn't help with your nerves. Every time you went around a curve you heard some new, weird noise from a different part of the vehicle. He had told you that it had been used by the Pokémon rangers for "generations". Had you not believed him before, you certainly did now.

"Ah! Don't worry about it," Forrest chuckled. He turned around, "The people of Accumula are a friendly lot! I'd be shocked if you found one bad egg among -em!"

Meloetta cheered back. While you could not fully match their enthusiasm, you gave a weak grin, and pumped your fist into the air.

"Speaking of..."Forrest continued. Accumula came into view as you came around a bend.

The town was much bigger than it was in the games, which was honestly a relief. You weren't sure what you would think if there were only five or so buildings around.

Your destination was much more in line with what you would expect from a major settlement, with hundreds of buildings dotting the landscape. Speaking of the landscape, rather than clearing or building away from the rock formations that shaped the area, the town was built into them. Due to this, the area was quite hilly.

Accumula Town also looked...aged...for lack of a better word. As you drove along the side of the town, this became even more prevalent. The buildings looked to have been built many years ago, and thick vines ran up their sides.  The streets of the town were very wide, and appeared to be made of some white marble-like material. Tall townhouses loomed over these streets, some built into the rocky cliff sides that shaped the landscape.

The car came to a stop in front of a large gateway, where a large sign held the slogan 'Accumula: The Fast-Growing Town!'

"Sure you don't want me to take you right to the Pokémon center?" Forrest asked.

"I'll be fine, I'd like to see a bit more of the town on my way there." In all truthfulness, you also wanted to get some more exercise in. If you were going to be traveling across regions, then building up some endurance was a must. You weren't necessarily in bad shape, but your previous life as a couch potato was not doing you any favors. Thus, you decided any opportunity for physical fitness was a must.

You were also deathly afraid the car would explode before you made it to the Pokémon center.

Though you have to admit, seeing a city where people and Pokémon lived together would be quite cool. You had been given a map with all the major landmarks, so you could do some exploring whenever you wanted.

"I really need to get a phone too, that'll have to be the first thing I buy."

Forrest broke your train of thought. "Well, if you need anything, you know where to find us. Just give us a call."

You stepped out of the vehicle, before looking back to Forrest. "Thank you guys, for everything."

The man smiled. "No worries (y/n), Good luck!" He then drove off, the car sputtering as it disappeared into the distance.

You turned to Meloetta. "All right! Shall we set off." You clapped your hands together in an attempt at enthusiasm.

Meloetta mimicked your gesture, floating a few feet behind you as you began your stroll.

As you made your way through the streets, you couldn't help but notice the homely feel the town gave off.

It was very picturesque, like something straight out of a holiday ad.

In a nearby grassy area, a Pignite releases heated breaths onto a bonfire. The children seated around the fire cheered and hollered as tongues of flame shot high into the air. Some people were even roasting what appeared to be some type of fruit over the embers.

You saw a young woman working with a Scyther to cut down decaying parts of trees. Flying through the air, the bug type cut down branches that were in hard to reach places. The woman then collected and disposed of the decaying wood.

The houses were also quite cozy looking. It was unfortunate you couldn't just walk into them like you could in the games. Instead of cool items, you would probably just get prison time.

And that was no fun.

As you made your way up a large hill, the Pokémon center came into view. It was not entirely what you were expecting. Rather than the modern, orange building you had pictured, this structure was built more to reflect the style of the town.

In fact, much like some of the houses, it was built into a large, rocky cliffside. The building was massive, more so than any other structure you had seen in this world. The walls were white, and covered in the same vines that characterized the rest of the city. The roof was still that iconic orange color, and a large emblem of a Pokéball was situated above the doors.

Stepping into the building, the reasoning for the massive size became apparent. Pokémon centers were not just a place to heal your Pokémon. They were essentially the community center for all things Pokémon related. It was like a miniature mall in a sense. Not only did they contain the local Pokémart, but they also contained salons, as well as recreation rooms for both trainers and Pokémon. They even had specialized restaurants that catered to Pokémon diets. Hell, they were even selling poffins.

As a long time fan of Pokémon, it was like paradise.

"Excuse me, sir?" A voice called out to you.

You turned around to face an older woman. "Hm, did you need something?"

"Are you lost? You're standing in the middle of the entrance," she shot you a pointed look.

"Oops, guess I wasn't paying attention." Your cheeks burned in embarrassment. "Ah-Ah no, I was just looking around." Not wanting to make a complete fool of yourself, you shot her an apology and hurriedly made your way over to the main desk.

Seated there was an all too familiar face. Nurse Joy was as exactly as you expected, pink hair included.

The strange natural hair colors were another thing you would have to get used to.

"Welcome Sir! What can we do for you today?" Nurse Joy asked, her face alight with...well...Joy.

"Aud-Audino!" Her companion chirped. The Pokémon even had a little apron on.

"I'm here for a health check-up." You gestured to Meloetta, who had been clinging to your shoulder since you stepped foot into the building. "Also...this is where new trainers register, right?"

"You'd be correct, sir. Are you not this Pokémon's trainer?" As nurse Joy spoke, Audino waddled off to fetch something.

"No, I guess not."  You frowned slightly as you spoke. "Nobody has caught Meloetta , I'm just looking after it. Does that make things difficult?"

"Not at all sir! It'll just take a bit longer in certain areas."

You turned to face Meloetta, "Do you want me to go back with you, or will you be okay by yourself?"

You figured it would be nice to at least give the option to the Pokémon, but Meloetta seemed like it would be fine for the moment. Perhaps the friendly aura Joy and Audino gave off were helping to overcome its shyness. After a quick squeeze to your arm, Meloetta floated over to accompany the Audino.

Nurse Joy gave you a smile, "The registration office is on your left. We should have your Pokémon ready in no time."

"Gotcha, thanks." You sincerely registration was a relatively simple process.

...

As it turns out, it was a relatively straightforward endeavor. The rangers had helped you with some preemptive paperwork to ensure things went smoothly. They didn't ask too many questions, which was good for you.

But this was a necessary step. Without a trainer ID, you couldn't legally catch and own Pokémon. It also gave you other exclusive perks, like discounts at certain shops. You looked down at the shiny new card.

Name:       (Y/N) (L/N)
ID:             648636624
DOB:         (Your Birthday)
Region:      Unova
Hometown:  Accumula
Address:    N/A
Sponsor:    N/A

If you were being honest, you thought your picture on the ID was pretty awkward. Though you guessed most people don't look any good in government photos.

Speaking of trainer cards, you had taken the extra time to do some preemptive research on the computers the Pokémon center provided. And, it turned out that yes, most trainers did begin their journeys at twelve. Not quite ten years old, but still definitely too young in your opinion.

"Fucking Twelve! I thought that was just anime logic, but goddamn."

Yes, the league circuit was set up in a way that assisted new trainers. The paths between towns were clearly marked, and always patrolled by law enforcement and Rangers. In Unova, the "traditional" way to perform the gym circuit was to first collect the gym badge in Striaton, and then make your way up north. The trainers' school was set up in Straiton to reflect this, as a means to prepare young trainers for the journey ahead.

However, you could challenge the gyms in any order you wanted. Much like they did in Pokémon Origins, they would choose a team that reflected the trainers current level.

It would not do at all for a gym leader to go full tilt with their personal team against a twelve year old in their first gym battle.

The duty of crushing dreams had to be saved for the later gym leaders, after all.

Thus, the current system was used as a way to foster growth in young trainers.

The gym circuit started at the beginning of summer, and ran until the end of spring. A brief grace period sat between the start and end of the season so that gyms had sufficient type to prepare. During that time, a trainer would have to collect all 8 badges. There was no registration period or anything like that, so a trainer could decide to enter halfway through the season without issue. After all 8 badges were obtained, trainers could compete in an annual tournament, the winner of which would have the honor of testing their might against the elite four and Champion.

It was late October, so you had missed the beginning of the season. Unfortunate, but this did give more time to train in advance for the next year. Perhaps you could even try to test your might against a few gym leaders in the meantime.

Trainers could attempt the circuit as many times as they wanted, with the badges they had previously obtained carrying over to successive years. It was unusual to become champion on your first run, but not impossible.

Leon, the Galar champion, is an example of a trainer who did just that. Galar was a bit unique in terms of the gym challenge though. Only two attempts at a gym, and then you were out for the year.

Yes, it was Harsh, but it did breed strong trainers.

Or at least that was what the league said in their PR statement.

At that moment, you felt something crash into your chest. You looked down at Meloetta, who was hugging your chest. "Did you miss me?" You asked as you patted it on the head.

Meloetta gave a small cry, before detaching itself and spinning in the air. The Pokémon looked more vibrant and healthy than it did before.

"Your Pokémon is in great health sir." Nurse Joy chuckled as she handed a set of papers over to you.

You shot her a quizzical look, "Do these need to be signed?"

"Not quite, that's just information regarding your Pokémon. Speaking of which-" She then handed you another small piece of paper. "That's the first time a Pokémon center has ever recorded data on this species. There was no prior information on it, hence why the process took a bit longer"

You suppose that made sense, it was a mythical Pokémon after all.

Joy continued "There's been recordings of Meloetta existing, but no official documentation. As such, that paper contains the contact information for Professor Aurea Juniper. As Unova's head of Pokémon research, I'm sure she would like to meet your Pokémon," she finished with a small bow.

Well, that was certainly nice, knowing a professor could only help you in the long run. "Thanks, I'll be sure to contact her soon."

Nurse Joy smiled, "If you have any questions, I'll be right at the desk." Audino let out a chirp, and Nurse Joy took that as a signal to return to her desk.

"Well," you faced Meloetta, "why don't we go get some food. We can look over your papers while we eat."

"Me-Lo!"

...

Pokémon centers provided free meals daily to registered trainers. While the selection of food was nothing absurd, you were still impressed at the variety they offered. Dozens of options catered to different Pokémon types were available.

Meloetta had gotten some sort of fruit parfait, made with Colbur berries. You, on the other hand, had opted for a more savory meal.

Speaking of your friend, you took a look at the papers Nurse Joy had given you.

Species: Meloetta
Typing:   Normal/Psychic
Height:   1'95"
Weight:  13.7 lbs
Gender:  Unknown
Ability:    Serene Grace
Known moves: Confusion, Quick Attack, Sing, Teeter Dance, Acrobatics, Echoed Voice, Hyper Voice, Psybeam

As it turns out, the four move limit present in the games was no longer applicable here. Thus, while your Pokémon could be much more versatile, enemy Pokémon could also be very unpredictable. This was further exacerbated by the fact that Pokémon could also have multiple abilities depending on the species. While each Pokémon had one ability they inherited at birth, the other abilities available to their species could be obtained through training.

Moves also did not have power points like in the games. The amount of times a Pokémon could use a move seemed to be limited only by their stamina. The more powerful a move, the more draining it seemed to be. For example, using a single Fire Blast was equivalent to a dozen or so Embers.

Overall, Meloetta had a pretty decent selection of attacks. Right away, you noticed a lack of  close range moves, at least relative to to special moves. But, that wasn't too important now. You had no means of obtaining Relic Song, and thus pirouette form for the Pokémon.

You were pretty sure there was somewhere in Castelia where Meloetta could learn the move in the games, but that was a problem for a later version of you.

Another note was attached to the bottom of the paper.

'Meloetta had a mild case of vocal cord strain. Please ensure that it builds up its endurance for any sound based attacks. Otherwise, repeated stress could lead to more permanent injury.'

Several websites were listed, each containing what you assumed were information sources containing medical advice or something of the like.

A pair of odd thumps sounded from outside the cafe.

You turned to Meloetta, "Say, do you-"

You heard the sound of something breaking in the distance.

"What the hell." Now you heard a shout.

Curiously got the better of you, and you stood up. "I'll be right back," you said to Meloetta.

Peeking your head out of the Cafe, you see a small black blur run past. Mere seconds later, a girl about your age followed. She was clearly winded, hands on her knees as she gasped for air.

You raised an eyebrow, "What's your story?"

The girl panted and she looked at you, "My-(gasp)-My Deino-(gasp)-he got loose."

Nice. "Can't you just...call it back?"

The girl frowned, "Don't you think I've tried that, he just keeps breaking out of his Pokéball."

You looked off into the direction where Dieno ran. It seemed to have made its way into an adjacent hallway.

"Well, we better go calm it down." You suggested.

The young lady raised an eyebrow, "We?"

"Well...this is really the only local place to heal Pokémon without potions. It'd be pretty bad if Deino tore up the place." Besides, the Deino line was pretty cool, you wouldn't mind seeing the little dragon in person.

The girl adopted a more thoughtful expression now, "The name's Karissa, you got a plan?"

"If we can stop it from running away, then maybe." Meloetta did know Sing. "The name's (y/n). And I do, we just have to catch it. Maybe throw a blanket over its head."

Karrisa balked, "Are you insane, somebody's gonna lose a goddamn arm. He may be tiny, but Deino can still bite through solid rock."

Poking your head back in the cafe, you called Meloetta over. You gave both Karissa and Meloetta a brief rundown of the plan. You then turned to Deino's trainer, "You know the Pokémon better than I do, any tips?"

Karissa rubbed her chin as the three of you chased down Deino. "Well, like the rest of his species, he's blind. All the noise in the Pokémon center probably agitated him."

You passed a few people who had also been distracted by Dieno's rampage, and they had pointed you in the direction of the Pokémon. You found it towards the end of a one way hallway, still running in circles. A singular room sat alongside the end of the hallway. Halfway the corridor sat a miniature sofa, which Deino was currently having an epic battle with.

And by epic battle, you meant Dieno was hungry, and had sought to satiate that hunger with the couch cushions.

The Pokémon was a bit larger than you expected, with dense, shaggy black hair covering his body. His nub of a tail wagged about as the Pokémon tore into the couch.

That was good. You wanted the Pokémon isolated. You weren't sure how Sing worked, and didn't want any weird acoustics to put any unfortunate passerby into dreamland.

"We'll approach gently. I don't want to scare him anymore. Have your Pokémon wait in the room. Once we coax Deino into it, then have it use Sing."

You looked to Meloetta, who nodded and floated past the hungry Dieno into the room.

You and Karissa slowly approached the Pokémon.

One step, and Deino continued its meal of pillows unbothered.

Two more steps, and Dieno jerked slightly.

A few more, and Deino faced in your direction.

"How good is his hearing? This floor is carpeted and everything."

Karissa began to coax Deino with a blanket that it apparently liked. Intrigued by the smell, the Pokémon slowly began to move backwards. You stood in wait, guarding the entrance to the hallway. Deino was still anxious, but the Pokémon was slowly moving towards the room.

"Almost there, just a bit-" You clasped your palms together tightly.

"HEY MOM, LOOK! IT'S A DRAGON!"

Thank you, random little kid. It was indeed a dragon.

A dragon that was apparently easily startled.

"No, No! Fuck!" Like a bullet, Deino took off towards you, seemingly running in a random direction.

"(y/n)! Move!" Karissa shouted.

"Alright, screw the plan." You took a deep breath, "Meloetta! Use Sing!" The Pokémon obliged.

The sound that followed was completely unlike the Hyper Voice from yesterday.

Instantly, your body felt lighter. Every ounce of stress and fear was lifted, even that which you had not known was there to begin with. You felt...at peace...more so than you had in a long time.

Dieno stopped its run, slowly dipping its head down as it curled into the floor. Said Pokémon then let out a deep, growly yawn.

"Ah! Problem solved. Now I can just...go to sleep-Wait a minute."

Your body had already succumbed to the music , and your vision was rapidly fading into darkness. Your knees felt like jelly.

And you would have fallen asleep, had it not been for you stumbling sideways and cracking your head off the wall on the way down.

"Aghh!" You rubbed the back of your head, briefly surveying your surroundings. "That's gonna leave a mark." It appears the song had also put Karissa to sleep, as she was laying on the floor a few feet behind Deino.

Meloetta quickly rushed to your side, its frantic cries obviously apologetic in nature. You patted it on the head to reassure it, before shakily making your way to your feet.

"What's going on here?" You spun around, a man in a security uniform was standing behind you. He looked quite confused, and also somewhat upset. A young boy, probably about 10, was lying unconscious nearby. He must have been the one who yelled out at Dieno.

You quickly realized that this scene did not look good for you. "I-uh..." You were unsure how to explain yourself.

"Hey. Hold on now." Another man had entered the scene. He looked to be quite old, with a thin white beard that reached down to his waist. He then placed a hand on the security guard's shoulder, then turned to you. "Now, young man, could you explain yourself?"

...

As it turns out, you were not the only one to sense the commotion. Somebody had gone to fetch a security guard, and Gandalf over here had also come to investigate.

Currently, the security guard was trying to shake Karissa awake, but the girl was just not budging. Nor was the young boy, whose mother seemed quite embarrassed over the whole thing.

The security guard frowned as Karissa once again failed to stir. "Desperate times call for desperate measures."

He then unceremoniously dumped a bottle of water directly onto her face.

"Guess that works." The girl was stuttering, and began to panic as she became fully awake.

"Easy now," muttered the security guard. "Your Pokémon is asleep."

The girl adopted a more embarrassed expression, as she held out a Pokéball, "Deino, Return!"

A red flash, and the Pokémon was gone. You looked at the spot where Deino was previously, then faced her. "Does Deino usually get like this?"

Karissa rubbed the back of her neck, "Well...he's dark and dragon type. Those...are...um... supposed to be the hardest types to raise. So...um...yeah, he can be pretty difficult."

You had read online that dragons were infamous for the prideful nature and predisposition to violence. Typically only experienced or highly specialized trainers were successful in raising the type. Though some exceptions apparently existed.

For example, Drampa and the Goomy line were rather friendly, and occasionally were even used as family pets.

The security guard laughed. "I hear ya, my daughter has a Purrloin. The first time she brought it home, I swear it clawed up every piece of furniture in the house...But! That same Purrloin is now the sweetest Pokémon I've ever met."

"The way you train a Pokémon is more impactful than whatever its inherent nature may be." The old man added. "So do keep that in mind." He then turned to you, "and as for you-"

"Hm?" You shot him a quizzical look.

He continued "Your Pokémon has quite the wonderful voice. I run a music group composed entirely of Pokémon. We perform every day in the central square. You should come by and check it out."

"I'll keep that in mind," you responded. If nothing else, it could be a nice way to kill some spare time. And speaking of spare time, it was getting late. "Should probably go check into the hotel soon." The old man smiled, and walked away.

You and Meloetta then exchanged your goodbyes with Karissa. You had two brief stops before you ultimately left the Pokémon center, one of which was the 'Help Wanted' board.

This board listed jobs that often required Pokémon in order to complete. Anybody could submit a request, so long as it was approved by the Pokémon center staff. This was an excellent way for trainers to make money outside of battling. You and Meloetta began searching through the board for a potential job.

"Catch a wild Timbur, Huh? We can't do that, we don't have enough money for Pokéballs. Catch a Zorua...That's not happening, even if I did have the resources."  You frowned as you scanned through the requests. Most of them involved catching a certain Pokémon, or helping teach a certain move. Others were more specialized, like a grass type needed to help construct a garden. "C'mon, there's got to be something on there that we can do."

"Lo-ta?"

You looked to where Meloetta was pointing. "They want somebody to clean their basement, with a psychic or fighting type to help move furniture... That sounds... kinda lame... uh ... wait a minute!"

Then you saw the reward.

Lots of money.

Neurons Activated.

As it turns out,  Pokédollars did not follow the same pattern as they did in the games. The rates were more similar to USD, as opposed to Japanese Yen. Though they were not a perfect match for either. For example, a Pokéball costs about 20 Pokédollars. A potion costs 30, and so on.

This job was offering 600 Pokédollars as a reward. It seemed almost too good to be true. It must have been posted recently, or else somebody should have snagged it by now.

"Say... Meloetta, can you move things with your mind?" The Pokémon nodded in response. You smiled, "Then I think we just found our first Job."

...

The last place you had decided to check out was the Pokémart. Yes, you didn't have any money, but curiosity had gotten the best of you. Much like the building it was housed in, the store was massive.

Each aisle was stuffed chock full of Pokémon goods. Some of it was familiar. You saw all the basic healing items, and various types of Pokéballs. Everything from hyper potions to ultra balls and max repels were there.

Unfortunately, no super rare items like max revives or master balls were present. Not that you could have afforded them anyways.

Several isles were devoted entirely to Pokémon food.
You spotted the brand the rangers had given to Meloetta, but that was just the tip of the iceberg. There were food brands for different egg groups. Hell, there were even foods advertised to help Pokémon lose weight, or increase their musculature. Some of the mascots were quite strange.

The image of a Watchog with the physique of an Olympian would forever haunt your dreams.

Some of these brands were also apparently endorsed by higher end trainers. You even spotted a brand catering towards flying types with an image of Skyla on the side.

Speaking of famous trainers, there was a merchandise section towards the back of the store, which apparently catered towards tourists. There was everything from action figures to mugs, and even goddamned tableware featuring famous Unovan trainers and Pokémon.

Your favorites had to be the various light fixtures based on the Litwick line, or a little figure of Grimsley which played some version of the Dracula theme when a button on the stand was pressed.

Honestly, there was some pretty cool stuff in there. If you had had any money before, it would have certainly been spent now.

The store also sold TM's, which were divided between single and multi use. Even a single use TM for Protect cost 400 Pokédollars, and the price for the multi use TM's made you shiver. You were unsure of how these items were produced, but gyms always gave out a single use TM when defeated. Apparently, you could also win the items in Pokémon Contests, or via other similar events like the Pokéathlon.

The variety here was pretty unimpressive, with only very basic TM's available. You would probably have to visit one of the larger department stores if you wanted more options.

As you moved to another section of the store, you quickly realized Meloetta was not behind you. A brief moment of panic overtook you, before you soon spotted it at the end of a nearby isle.

Said Pokémon was currently staring at a glass case filled with...Pokéballs? You knelt down in an attempt to see what caught the Pokémon's attention, but it was just a normal batch of Pokéballs. "Something catch your eye?"

"Lo-Me-Ta." The Pokémon simply pointed at the case.

"You...want one of those?" The Pokémon nodded frantically in response. "Well...I can't buy one now, I still don't have money."

The Pokémon frowned, and you gently rubbed it on the head.

"Tell you what, that'll be the first thing I buy once I get some cash." Meloetta brightened at that, and once again latched onto your shoulder as you exited the store.

...

The cold air once again stung your face as you exited the building. As you made your way towards the hotel building, a distant noise from a few blocks over echoed across the town.

It was music, and based on your map, it was coming from the central square the old dude was talking about earlier. "I've still got some time to kill." You looked over to Meloetta, "Wanna go check it out."

"Lo-Me!"

As you approached the square, you heard the cheers and cries of people. "Hope the crowd isn't too big, I doubt Meloetta would like that."

The miniature concert was set on a grassy stage that overlooked an open marble courtyard. It was very likely the same place that Ghetsis gave his famous speech towards the beginning of the black and white games.

A fair bit of people were milling about, the majority of them clustered around small fires. Vendors selling various treats lined the perimeter. Due to the openness of the area, it felt neither too crowded, nor too empty.

On the stage various Pokémon performed. A Maractus gleefully danced around, shaking its spiny arms to provide the percussion. Off to the side, a Palpitoad let out low groans to provide the baseline. Towards the center, a Chatot and Kricketune were the centerpiece of the music. They let out beautiful high notes that enthralled the crowd, and had the young children jumping for joy.

Meloetta was also entranced by the music, the Pokémon swaying side to side on your left.

"I see you decided to come after all." The old man from earlier had appeared at your side.

"This is pretty cool, old dude. You said you trained all these guys by yourself."

The man chuckled, "Indeed. I've been a trainer most of my life. Though way back then, I wanted to become champion." His face then morphed into a frown.

"What stopped you?"

"I wasn't cut out for it, I suppose. Could never get past the fourth gym."

"So... you just gave up."

"I did, but I don't regret that decision. I actually started participating in Pokémon contests back in Hoenn, and I did better in those."

Contests huh, they weren't really your thing. But, it couldn't hurt to try and participate in one, or at least watch a few. Coordinators were often skilled in combining moves, or at least using them in unique ways.

Take Wallace for example, who used his skills as a coordinator to become a top tier battler as well. A Champion level trainer in fact, if your game knowledge held true.

The old man continued, "Your Pokémon has a rare talent, and I can tell you done well to earn its trust as well. You're still young, so perhaps try and experience different parts within the world of Pokémon. That's why I extended that invitation to you."

"He's not wrong, I guess. I do want to become strong, and see if I could stack up against the best of them. But, I don't know if being the Champion is my end-all be-all." Champions were not just the strongest trainer in a region, they had loads of importance as administrators as well. Being tied down with a lifetime of paperwork was not how you wanted to spend the rest of your life. "I just think meeting new Pokémon would be pretty cool." You continued to listen to the song as the skies shifted to a brilliant hue of orange. "Thanks for the advice, old guy."

You looked around, but he was already gone.

...

The hotel they had booked for you sat at the edge of the town, nestled within a small thicket of trees. It was near the local police office, you supposed that was in case anything bad happened.

"Not that anything will, of course." While revealing your true backstory could lead to you receiving additional assistance, it could also very well get you unwanted attention and restrict your future options.

The law enforcement had called your room soon after you checked in to discuss the conditions of your stay. Once they completed a background check, and all that jazz was complete, you would be allowed to leave after a week or so.

Perhaps it was a little lax, but this was the same
world who let kids who hadn't even hit puberty yet wield powerful and destructive creatures with little restrictions.

On the other hand, perhaps the recent disaster with the unknown Pokémon had given the local Government more important things to worry about.

The hotel room itself was pretty standard, a one bedroom one bathroom sort of deal. The decor was rather old fashioned, and the carpet had a weird smell to it. There was a large tv mounted on the wall, on which Meloetta was watching a performance by some celebrity idol. If you remembered correctly, the Idols name was Yancy, a component of a strange side quest that started when the player found a lost Xtransciever.

Speaking of the Xtransiever, that was something you would have to get your hands on. It was much less high tech than the Rotom Phones, but would also be more merciful to your...lacking funds. The standard model only cost about 300 Pokédollars, and could fulfill all the basic requirements a smartphone could.

"Sucks that I didn't have my phone on me when I got transported, Bulbapedia would be really useful right now."

But if you were taking the time to plan out your future, then-

"Say... Meloetta, what do you think about traveling the world?

The Pokémon perked up, moving its attention from the television onto you.

"I-I don't know exactly where I want my journey to go, but becoming a strong trainer seems like a good start." Winning battles would not only net your money, but also build up your reputation, which would help in any future endeavors. "If you want to join my team, then I'd just like to know what you think."

"Me-lo-ta!"

The Pokémon smiled, before wrapping itself around your arm. You chuckled.

"No idea how I got such a loyal Pokémon, I'll have to do something nice for it soon."

...

Morning had come, and for the first time since arriving in the new world, you felt truly well rested.

It was a good thing too, as you had work to do. Yes, even in a fantasy world, you could still not escape the clutches of menial labor. But hey, at least it paid well.

Your destination was a run down house seated on a high cliffside at the edge of town. The lawn looked slightly overgrown, and the building was in a general state of disarray. The shutters were mangled, and the vines that characterized Accumula stretched across the house like great spiderwebs.

You slowly approached the doorstep, with Meloetta at your side. You checked the address to make sure it was the right location, and then checked it again to make sure you weren't just strolling onto abandoned property.

"Screw it." You tapped your hand against the door three times in quick succession. A brief shuffling followed, and the door creaked open as the face of a very old woman came into view.

You spoke first "Uh-hello-I"

"Get the hell off my property."

You gulped. "Off to a great start already."

Seguir leyendo

También te gustarán

7K 292 29
Rosa is a girl with the dream of becoming a pokestar studios actor. But will she conquer her stage fright to achieve her dream? And will being stuck...
29.2K 1.7K 52
The Heroes of Truth and Ideals have left the Unova region, leaving behind chaos that eventually settled. But what hadn't settled however, were the re...
46K 1.3K 33
You're a huge fan of the Pokemon games, but one day while you're playing it, you somehow get transferred to the Unova Region! How'd THAT happen?! As...
850 23 3
Future (Ongoing)⏳ --- Henry is currently exploring from Region to Region, with his Pokémon partner Lucky the Eevee, and Sketcher the Smeargle. He dre...