Tale Of Two Avatars

By wattup3214

In a raging war that has spanned over the course of a hundred years, all hopes of ending it and bringing bala... More

The Boy and Girl In The Iceberg
The Avatars Return
Southern Air Temple
Warriors Of Kyoshi
The King Of Omashu
Winter Solstice Part 1: The Spirit World
Winter Solstice Part 2: Avatar Roku and Avatar Kyoshi
The Waterbending Scroll
Jet
The Storm
The Fortuneteller
Bato Of The Water Tribe
The Deserter
The Northern Air Temple
Mini Adventure: Relics
The Waterbending Master
The Siege of The North: Part 1
The Siege Of The North Part 2
The Cave Of Two Lovers
Return To Omashu
The Swamp
Avatar Day
The Blind Bandit
Mini Adventure: Dirty Is Only Skin Deep
The Chase
Mini Adventure: Sokka The Avatar
Bitter Work
Mini Adventure: Suzume Reaches For The Toph
The Library
The Desert
The Serpent's Pass
The Drill
City Of Walls And Secrets
Lake Laogai
The Earth King
The Guru
The Crossroads of Destiny
The Awakening
The Headband
Mini Adventure: Girls' Day Out
Sokka's Master
The Avatars and The Fire Lord
The Runaway
Mini Adventure: Combustion Man On A Train
The Puppetmaster
Nightmares and Daydreams
The Day Of The Black Sun Part 1: The Invasion
The Day Of The Black Sun Part 2: The Eclipse
The Western Air Temple
The Firebending Masters
The Ember Island Players
Sozin's Comet, Part 1: The Phoenix King
Sozin's Comet, Part 2: Revelation of The Lion Turtle
Sozin's Comet Part 3: Into The Inferno
Sozin's Comet, Part 4: Avatar Aang and Avatar Suzume

The Avatar State

452 8 2
By wattup3214

Settling down on my bed on the ship, I instantly fall asleep, grateful that I could finally get some well-deserved sleep. For a while, peace reigned supreme until I hear thunder crackling again and I see the tempestuous waves of the ocean. I'm in the ocean again, speeding off towards a drowning Aang, reaching out for him and seeing his eyes glowing once again, slamming his fists together and encasing us both in a gigantic ball of ice. Then everything suddenly changes again, I was now in an earthbending arena, seeing a furious version of myself, my eyes aglow as I leapt into the arena, splitting the arena in half and sending King Bumi into the walls of the arena with my airbending. She turns to look at me, glaring at me as she sends an air slash at me, sending me into yet another incident. This time, I was in Roku's temple and I see myself earthbending as my eyes were glowing again, splitting the temple in half. I scream as I feel myself freefalling, stopping when I was led to another vision. I was riding high on a vortex of water, glaring ahead at Fire Nation ships and making the ocean into a large whirlpool. She then turns to me, eyeing me furiously and slashes her arms out, the full might of the water from the ocean charging towards me rapidly.

I instantly awaken, feeling my breaths coming in quick succession. I glance over at Aang, who was also awoken and breathing heavily. I gaze at him for a moment before asking him something in his mind. 'You want to talk about it?'  

He nodded and both of us ascend a stairway to exit our room, going over to the ledge of the ship.

"I think we were both dreaming about the same thing right?" I inquired, and he nodded silently in response. "We were both in the Avatar State."

"It was scary, Suzume," Aang whispered. "I never knew we looked like that when we were in the Avatar State. I was so scary, Suzume, we were both so scary."

"Yeah," I look down sadly. "And the problem is, we can't control it. I've never really been able to control the Avatar State, I can't decide whether I want to activate or deactivate it. It's always just inside us sitting silently, stirring randomly and most of the time, I can't control what I do."

"Me neither," Aang nodded. "I've always felt scared whenever I go into the Avatar State because I never had control over my actions, I've only ever had control of my actions sometimes in the Avatar State. I'm scared that I might end up hurting people or even killing them."

"I know that you care about the lives of every creature that inhabits this world. The best thing we can do to prevent that from happening is by keeping each other in balance," I place a comforting hand on his shoulder. "Just like what we've been doing so far."

"Yeah, I guess so," Aang nods in agreement. "We should probably get some rest." With that, we headed back to the room, getting back onto our respective beds and trying to get some sleep, knowing full well that I wouldn't be able to as my mind was still occupied by those visions.

Daybreak eventually came and I find myself hopping down from my bed, joining the others as they exited the room, seeing that Aang was in a similar state as I was. Appa was already lying on the deck of the ship, ready to take off to our next destination.  

"Aang, Suzume, you two okay? Both of you look exhausted," Katara pointed out. 

"We're fine," I reassured, suppressing a yawn from coming to the surface. "Don't worry about us."

"Yeah, we're better than ever!" Aang shouted cheerfully, grinning broadly to throw off any suspicion of hers.

"Well," Katara eyes us both in concern. "Both of you can always talk to us anytime if there's anything troubling you two, we'll always be there for you both."

"Well, thanks, we appreciate it." We exchange smiles just as Master Pakku approaches us, holding a bag in his hand. 

"Katara, I want you to have this," Master Pakku reaches into the bag, grabbed a minute flask and handed it over to Katara. "This amulet contains water from the Spirit Oasis. The water has unique properties. Don't lose it."

"Thank you, Master Pakku." Katara goes over to embrace Master Pakku briefly.

"Wait," Katara suddenly remembers something. "what about Aang and Suzume? They both still need to learn waterbending."

"Well, then they better get used to calling you Master Katara," Master Pakku smiled and Katara gasps in delight. "Though, Suzume, you should have no problem with your waterbending if you keep training and working hard as you have been."

"I will continue to practice my waterbending as often as I can," I promised.

Master Pakku now redirects his attention to Aang, taking out a box of scrolls and handing them to Aang. "Aang, these scrolls will help you master waterbending. Suzume, you'll find some scrolls with advanced waterbending techniques in there for you as well and perhaps for Aang too, once he starts taking his waterbending more seriously. But remember both of you, they're no substitute for a real master."

We both bow respectfully before Master Pakku, thanking him and turning to Katara, we bow before her as well, causing her to turn a little flustered. She bows back before us, a smile plastered on her features as she got onto Appa with Aang. Sokka comes back onto Appa empty-handed, looking a little dismayed. 'I actually feel kinda bad for him.'

"Fly straight to the Earth Kingdom base to the east of here," Master Pakku ordered. "General Fong will provide you both with an escort to Omashu. There, both of you will be safe to begin your earthbending training with King Bumi."

Before I leapt onto Appa myself, there was still one person I wanted to bid farewell to, and she just happened to be standing behind Master Pakku. I ran into her outstretched arm, giving her a warm embrace. 

"Thank you, Akemi for everything. Take care of yourself and I promise that I'll visit you as soon as I can," I reassured. 

"Oh I have no doubt about that and the next time we do meet, I'm sure you'll know a lot more about your past by then and when you do, I promise we'll talk more about it. Until then, keep yourself safe and don't do anything rash, I trust that your friends will take good care of you," Akemi smiled and we break the hug. With that, I leapt back onto Appa's saddles.

"Appa, yip yip!" Aang promptly whips the reins and Appa takes off, all of us waving goodbye to Master Pakku and her. I inhale the fresh air that came, leaning back into Appa's saddle and breathing a sigh of relief, realising how much I missed sailing through the skies. I feel my eyes slowly shutting themselves, darkness consuming my vision as I finally succumbed to my exhaustion. 

Time Skip

I am eventually awakened by Sokka's shout, seeing him pointing at an army base. "There it is!"

Appa lands in the base, right in front of the soldiers and the general that had assembled outside. We alight from Appa, facing the soldiers as they bowed and greeted us.

"Welcome, Avatar Aang and Avatar Suzume! I am General Fong," a tall and bearded man at the forefront of all his soldiers introduced himself. "and welcome, to all of you great heroes! Appa, Momo, brave Sokka, the mighty Katara..."

"Mighty Katara? I like that," Katara crossed her arms, smiling pleasingly. Fireworks go off behind us and I feel my eyebrows arching up in surprise. 

"Not bad, not bad," Sokka commented.

General Fong leads us into the base and into a spacious hall, waiting for us to sit before he started speaking again, "Avatar Aang, Avatar Suzume, we were all amazed at the stories of how both of you singlehandedly wiped out an entire Fire Navy fleet at the North Pole. I can't imagine what it feels like to wield such devastating power. It's an awesome responsibility."

"I try not to think about it too much," Aang shrugged casually. 

"You wouldn't want to be us," I said honestly, shaking my head in disagreement to his statement. 

"Avatars, I believe both of you are ready to face the Fire Lord now," the general continued calmly. 

"What? No, we're not!" Aang exclaimed in shock.

"Is that meant to be some sort of joke?" I questioned in disbelief. "Is this how earthbenders usually joke around? Because I really hope you mean that as a joke."

"Aang and Suzume both still need to master all four elements," Katara reasoned.

"Why? With the kind of power they both possess, power enough to destroy hundreds of battleships in a matter of minutes, both of them could defeat the Fire Lord now if they wanted to!" the general argued.

"But sir, the thing is, Aang and Suzume can only do those things when he's in the Avatar State," Sokka explained.

"See, it's this special state where-" Aang was cut off before he could even continue his explanation.

"I'm well aware!" The general shouted sharply. "Both of your eyes glow and you're able to summon unbelievable power. Without you two, we'd be slaughtered before we even reach their shores. But with you two leading the way, as the ultimate weapon, we could cut a swath right through to the heart of the Fire Nation."

"Right, but, we don't know how to get in or out of the Avatar State, much less what to do once we're there," Aang argued uneasily. 

"You have no idea how dangerous the Avatar State is," I added. "We have no control over what we do when we're in the Avatar State."

General Fong drums his fingers slowly, looking unfazed, "So, it's decided then. I'll help you two figure out how to get into the Avatar State and then both of you'll face your destiny." 

We rise collectively and before I could rebuke and scold him, Katara does it for me in a more diplomatic manner, "No, nothing's decided. We already have a plan. Aang and Suzume are pursuing their destiny their way."

"Well, while both of you take your time learning the elements, the war goes on. May I show you two something?" General Fong inquired, rising from his place and leading both of us to a window, pointing to the injured men outside. "That's the infirmary, and those soldiers are the lucky ones. They came back. Every day, the Fire Nation takes lives. People are dying, Aang, Suzume! Both of you could end it, now. Think about it."

Both of us exchange uneasy glances as General Fong departs us, leaving us to ourselves. Aang was already in deep thought, contemplating and ruminating on the general's words. Tilting his head up to face mine, he concedes, "Suzume, I think we should listen to General Fong, maybe we are ready to summon the Avatar State."

"No way," I countered defiantly. "We can't even control what we do when we're in the Avatar State and weren't you scared of going into the Avatar State?"

"Yeah but I mean, I'll have to try to go into the Avatar State, or else more and more people will end up dying at the hands of the Fire Nation," Aang argued. "I know it's dangerous but we're doing it to stop the Fire Nation and we're doing it to save the lives of innocent people from the Fire Nation."

"But we don't know what we'll do in the Avatar State, Aang," I protested. "We might even end up hurting more innocent people if we activate the Avatar State than the Fire Nation, think about it Aang."

Aang contemplates this for a moment before gazing out at the infirmary again, "We'll discuss this again later. Right now, I need some rest."

We walk in silence as we let the guards take us to our chamber, both of us going to sleep as soon as we lay on our respective beds in our chamber. 

Time Skip

I awoke when I heard footsteps, seeing Aang reentering our chambers, looking very serious and solemn. "I told the general I'd help him, by going into the Avatar State."

"What?" I shot up from my bed, glaring at Aang. "Aang, you said we were going to discuss this! And when you go into the Avatar State, I go into the Avatar State as well! I've told you so many times, we can't control what we do in the Avatar State, it's too dangerous!"

"Suzume's right," Katara agreed. "This is not the right way!"

"Why not? Suzume," Sokka's eyes widened as he gazed at me. "remember when you took out the Fire Navy with Aang? Both of you were incredible!"

"There's a right way to do this. Practice, study, and discipline!" Katara argued.

"Or just glow it up and stop that Fire Lord!" Sokka remarked.

"You say it as if it's so easy to activate the Avatar State and go through with it. You have no idea how it feels like to be in the Avatar State!" I admonished. 

Katara throws her hands up in exasperation, glaring at both Aang and Sokka, "If you two meat heads want to throw away everything we've worked for, fine, go ahead and glow it up!"

"Look Katara, Suzume, I'm just being realistic! Suzume, we don't have time to do this the right way!" Aang argued, looking at me pleadingly. "Remember what Roku told us, we have to master all the elements by summer's end. This might be the only way we do it, you need to trust me."

"Fine," I sighed. "I'm giving you one last chance to prove yourself, but if you're wrong about this, I will never trust you on anything ever again."

"I promise, Suzume," Aang nodded intently. 

Time Skip

The next morning, we meet General Fong and a soldier in an outdoor gazebo just beside a waterfall. 

A table was already set up in the gazebo, a teapot and a cup set out neatly on it. All of us sit as the soldier carefully pours tea into the teapot, pouring it into the teacup and handing it to Aang, explaining the tea's properties while he was at it. "This rare chi-enhancing tea is a natural stimulant. In an ordinary warrior, it improves strength and energy tenfold. In you, it may induce the Avatar State."

"From my understanding, if Aang manages to activate his Avatar State, it'll also trigger your Avatar State right, Suzume?" General Fong questioned, gazing at me with glee and excitement. 

"Yes," I glared at him, not bothering to even hold my anger back. "That's right, if Aang activates his Avatar State, it'll also trigger mine."

"Excellent!" General Fong clapped, gesturing for Aang to drink his tea. 

"Ten-fold energy, huh?" Aang gulps it down in excitement. As soon as he sets his cup down, I start feeling a great surge of energy within myself and my eyebrows begin twitching, feeling giddy all of a sudden with all my bodily senses enhanced.

Aang quickly creates an air scooter, starting to zoom around us quickly in circles. I feel my body starting to tremble, causing Sokka and Katara to look at me in concern. 

"Uhh, Suzume," Sokka slowly backs away from me. "You okay? Because it certainly doesn't look so."

"I feel so energised and excited all of a sudden!" I shouted, getting up and running around with airbending rapidly, not noticing that Aang was scooting in my direction as well, both of us colliding as a result.

"Ow," I muttered, feeling the energy slowly starting to deplete from me and pain starting to creep into my system, my whole being feeling dizzy. 

Aang gets up as well, shooting a sheepish grin at me. Once we recover, we were brought to the entrance of the base to try out what Sokka had in my mind to help us activate our Avatar State.

Aang sits on the ground, looking at Sokka expectantly to tell us his suggestion, which he does, "Maybe I can shock you into the Avatar State."

"I love surprises!" Aang exclaimed. 

"Suzume, I'm going to need you to cover Aang's eyes for me," Sokka directed and I go over to Aang, covering his eyes with my hands and shooting Sokka an unconvinced look, which he ignores.

I wait for Sokka to come over to Aang, seeing how he would surprise the young boy. Sokka hides his face, letting Momo poke out of his shirt and quickly gesturing for me to uncover his eyes. 

I do so, recoiling with Aang as he screeches in surprise, falling back a little. He then glances at his tattoos, all of them still not glowing as he swiftly pointed out. 

We were then led to a dimly lit room, where Aang was asked to put a variety of items collected from all four nations. An old man stands before him, holding items in front of a pot. 

"You are wearing a ceremonial piece of clothing from each of the bending nations. Now I will join the four elements into one! Water," the old man pours a jug of water into the pot. "Earth," he adds in a bowl of dirt. "Fire," he throws in a nearby torch. "Air!" he releases air into the pot with a wooden contraption. "Four elements together as one!"

The old man flings the contents of the bowl at Aang, coating him thoroughly with mud. I shook my head in disgust and pinched my nose bridge in irritation, knowing full well that this wasn't going to work.

"This is just mud!" Aang protested in vexation. 

"So...do you feel anything?" The old man inquired inquisitively.

He raises his finger, catching everyone's interest except mine, already sensing what he was going to do. I slam my hands together at the precise moment he sneezes, encasing myself and the people around me in a ball of air, causing the mud to deflect back at Aang. 

Aang shoots me a glare and I smile sheepishly at him, mouthing my apologies as I release my grip on the air around me. 

"We need to find a way," I hear General Fong mutter beside me but he still ultimately ends up dismissing us.

After Sokka and Katara return to our chambers, I follow Aang to the balcony of the base, still remaining intent on talking Aang out of doing what he intended to do. 

"Aang, we need to talk," I declared firmly, staring at him seriously and he nods slowly, gesturing for me to continue. "I felt like what we've been through today has been a waste of time. Nothing has worked out so far and I feel like that's a sign. Maybe that's the way our past selves are telling us not to activate the Avatar State."

"I don't think so," Aang opposed. "Maybe it's their way of telling us to try harder, they surely would want us to take down the Fire Nation, right?"

"Yes, but not in this way, Aang. Look, I have something to tell you. Do you remember when we were at the air temple and you found Monk Gyatso's skeleton? It must have been so horrible and traumatic for you. It was also upsetting to me, I was in my Avatar State too and I could experience everything you felt, your rage, your sadness, all of it. And all I could do to comfort you was hug you," I recalled. "I saw you get so upset that you weren't even you anymore. I'm not saying the Avatar State doesn't have incredible and helpful power...but you have to understand, for the people who care for you, watching you be in that much rage and pain is really scary." 

"I know Suzume," Aang acknowledged. "I've also experienced your emotions, your pain and your anger when you were in the Avatar State. I hated to know that you were experiencing the emotions that you were experiencing in those moments and to see you like that made my heart break. Although we experience terrible things when we're in the Avatar State, we owe it to everyone to try. Every day, more and more people die. I-We're already one hundred years late. Defeating the Fire Lord is the only way to stop this war. We have to try it!" 

"No! I've had enough, we can't keep trying, if we keep going on like this, we might hurt ourselves in the process of trying!" I argued. "I can't stop you from trying and I can't sever the spiritual bond we share, but please Aang, I need you to stop and think logically, it's no use arguing further with you so I can only hope that you reconsider your decision."

With that, I leave Aang on the balcony alone, heading back to our chambers and falling asleep as soon as I flop down onto my bed. Devoid of any dreams, my sleep was progressing smoothly until I feel constant tapping on my shoulder. I wake up in irritation, knowing very well who woke me up and glaring at him. "If you really think waking me up in the middle of the night is going to make me agree with you Aang, you're crazy."  

"No Suzume," Aang whispered, careful not to wake the others up. "You were right. We shouldn't try to activate the Avatar State."

"I knew you'd come to your senses," I breathe a sigh of relief. 

Aang rubs his shoulder anxiously, "Do you think the general will be mad?" 

"Aang, we're the Avatars, We have free wills too, we don't have to do everything everyone expects us or wants us to do."

"You're right, thanks Suzume," Aang smiled. "Thanks for talking sense into me even when I remained so stubborn and refused to change."

"I've gotten used to that already," I shrugged, returning his smile. "Now go, we both desperately need sleep."

Aang scurries off to his bed and I instantly go off to sleep again, awakening in the morning with the others and going to see General Fong, who was in the hall where we first met him. Both Aang and I stand in front of him while Sokka and Katara stood off to the side, spectating our conversation. 

General Fong's eyes light up when he sees us, greeting us immediately, "Ah, Avatars welcome! Let's get started, shall we?" 

"Sorry General, but we've decided not to activate the Avatar State," I informed politely, trying my best not to let any trace of anger seep into my voice.

"The thing is, we don't think we'll ever be able to trigger it on purpose. So we guess that's it," Aang added.

"You sure I can't change both of your minds?" General Fong inquired calmly. 

"We're sure," Aang affirmed. "We can only reach the Avatar State when one of us is in genuine danger."

"I see. I was afraid that this would happen." Without warning, General Fong earthbends the table in front of him directly at us, sending us flying across the room and crashing through the wall. I hear cries of concern from Katara and Sokka as we both plunged down to the ground screaming and thankfully, we just about managed to cushion our fall with air.

We stand again, seeing ourselves surrounded by earthbending soldiers. 

"Men! Attack the Avatars!" the general screams from above and the earthbending soldiers slowly begin converging on our positions. 

The general himself jumps down, sending a rock wave in our direction upon landing, which sends us further back. 

Aang stares at General Fong in alarm, "What are you doing?"

"Attacking us, Aang," I said through gritted teeth, scowling at General Fong. "You traitor!"

General Fong eyes us slyly, "I believe we're about to get results."

The soldiers earthbend large Earth coins at us and I propel myself up with a blast of air, landing on one of them, running on it and kicking it with a blast of air towards a soldier. He just about manages to dodge it, the coin making a visible bruise on the walls of the base. 

I land gracefully next to Aang, using the air to soften my fall. "We're not your enemies, we won't fight you!" Aang shouted.

"He won't fight you, but I will!" I corrected, jumping into the air with Aang as the soldiers send four Earth coins at us, all four of them crashing into one another.

Both of us land atop the coins and I leap into the air again with airbending, directing an air slash in the middle of the four coins and sending them in four different directions. The coins travel too sedately, however, enabling the soldiers to earthbend them back at us midway through our descent back to the ground. 

"Come on," I mutter, concentrating on the holes of the coins, just managing to squeeze through them and landing in it unscathed. I send an air slash towards the nearby soldiers but they raise a wall, blocking it effectively. 

The soldiers continue firing Earth coins at me but I dodge them by summoning an air scooter, riding along the ridge of the base and launching myself into the air, I summon air blasts from my feet, aiming them directly at the soldiers directly beneath me, which they again, seem to be able to dodge. 'But they won't see this coming.'  

I direct two of my fingers towards the Sun as I land with air at my feet, breathing deeply and concentrating on the particles of light, redirecting them to my fingers. I slash my fingers outwards, sending an arc of light out towards the soldiers on one half, engendering yelps of surprise and blinding them temporarily. 

I release my grip on the light and hear a grunt behind me, seeing Katara using the water whip on an earthbending soldier and causing him to fall from his ostrich-like creature. 

"Both of you can't run forever!" General Fong yelled exasperatedly. 

"You can't fight forever!" I countered. The soldiers begin recovering from the light earlier and suffice to say, they did not look happy at all. They begin rolling the Earth coins at us at an alarming pace, causing both Aang and I to conjure up air scooters, frantically trying to dodge all of the coins that were being directed at us. 

"Soldiers, halt! You two may be able to evade me but not your friend. Aim for the waterbender," General Fong ordered. All the soldiers begin surrounding Katara, training their gazes on her and rotating the Earth coins around her, arranging them into a triangular formation around Katara. 

I let the air scooter dissipate and summon the largest gust of wind I could muster beneath my feet from where I was, I spring myself over the triangular formation and in front of Katara.

"You'll have to get through me first," I announced through clenched teeth, sending an air slash at General Fong, who raises a wall to block the strike. 

Katara then draws water from her pouch, sending a water whip at the general but he merely turns it into mud, beginning to smile. "Thank you, Katara. You've made my life a lot easier."

I feel myself beginning to sink into the ground, the mud clinging to my feet and refusing to let go. "No!" I shouted desperately, trying to summon air to lift me out of the hole but to no avail.

"Suzume!" Katara shouted in worry, she attempts to waterbend at the general again but it was futile as the soldiers restrained her from behind, pinning her hands together and holding her back. 

I manage to make out Aang behind General Fong, staring at him desperately and pleadingly. Aang meets my gaze briefly before glaring at General Fong, clenching his fists. "Let her go!"    

Aang finally shoots a gust of wind at General Fong but again, he blocks off his attack with a wall. I feel myself sinking down even more, half my body already immersed in the mud. 

"Aang!" I cried in alarm. 

"I'll save you Suzume and Katara!" I turn around, seeing Sokka galloping over with that ostrich-like creature to our position. His progress was disrupted halfway when General Fong merely sunk the creature's legs in mud, causing Sokka to be flung forward into one of the holes of the Earth coin.

"Stop this! You have to let Suzume go!" Aang speeds towards General Fong, clutching his hand desperately. 

"You could save her if you were in the Avatar State! Even she can save herself if she was in the Avatar State!" 

I see tears begin to form around his eyes, continuing his pleading, "I'm trying...I'm trying!" 

I feel myself sinking even further, feeling Aang's desperation and sadness course through me, coupled with my own desperation. As I feel the mud closing around my neck, I feel a sudden burst of anger that evolved, quickly turning into raw power and energy that surged and coursed through me, my eyes aglow with light as my understanding of bending and its techniques was complete once again. 

I find myself earthbending my way out of the mud, the feeling of anger dominating my mind as if it were the only feeling I knew. I feel air currents whipping around me rapidly, an earth vortex forming around me and raising me up. I feel myself speaking, though it wasn't me speaking, it was an ancient booming voice that shook the base. 

"You want to see some real earthbending, General?" My body acts of its own accord, it was as if it had a mind of its own. I find myself jumping down from the vortex, slamming my two fists against the ground and sending cracks snaking through the walls of the base and the ground while sending the general and every soldier flying back against the wall. 'I'm not the one doing this!'

I hear a voice beside me and I turn to see Aang, his eyes glowing and his voice pleading, "Suzume, stop. You'll hurt them."

The anger within me began subsiding and the howling wind at my feet gradually calmed, allowing my body to settle on the ground beside Aang. I sense my spiritual essence materializing abruptly, separating me from my physical form and transcending into the spirit realm. I then discover myself perched upon a familiar creature, an elongated and serpentine being with a pair of barbels hanging limply at its head, the Unagi. As it gracefully soared through the skies. a statuesque woman sat at its head and directed its movements, adorned with a resplendent golden headdress, donning a flowing green robe and wielding a pair of gleaming metal fans. I immediately recognised her appearance, my feelings of admiration and awe already welling up within me.

"Avatar Kyoshi!" I exclaimed in surprise, gazing at her in awe. 

"Good to see you again, Suzume," Kyoshi turns back to face me. 'Wait a minute, that was her! It was her voice that was speaking through me just now.'

"Yes, you are right, Suzume. That was me," Avatar Kyoshi smiled. "It's time you learned about the Avatar State. The Avatar State is a defence mechanism, designed to empower you with the skills and knowledge of all the past Avatars."

I see a vision of Kyoshi surrounded by rocky mountain terrain and assuming a battle stance. After her eyes glow briefly, she makes two large earthen statues rise and sends them to a distant place.

"The glow is the combination of all your past lives, focusing their energy through your body," Avatar Kyoshi explained. I am inundated with more visions of previous Avatars, Avatar Kuruk, the waterbending Avatar, summoning a huge tsunami-like wave after his eyes briefly glow. The scene shifts to Avatar Yangchen, an airbending Avatar, standing in a grassy field surrounded by a forest, her eyes also glowing momentarily before she summons powerful winds. The scene segues to Roku, who bends all four elements simultaneously after an ephemeral glow from his eyes and finally, my visions conclude with Avatar Szeto, another firebending Avatar lavabending lava from all the volcanoes in his surroundings after his eyes glowed shortly.

"In the Avatar State, you are at your most powerful," Avatar Kyoshi explained. "but you are also at your most vulnerable."

"What do you mean?" I asked curiously. 

"If you are killed in the Avatar State," Another vision flashes before my eyes, a line of all the previous Avatars that now included Aang and me. "the reincarnation cycle will be broken and the Avatar will cease to exist."

"But what happens if I am killed in the Avatar State but Aang still lives?" I inquired.

"You both share a strong spiritual bond, meaning that your lives are connected to one another, if one of you perishes, the other does as well," Kyoshi explained. "And since you both bring balance to each other, you may notice that sometimes, you are able to maintain control over your actions while the other has no control over their actions while in the Avatar State." 'So that explains it!'

"Well, how can I activate and always maintain full control of what I do in the Avatar State?" I questioned. 

"That is a question that will be answered eventually. I must leave you now but remember, you can always call upon me if you need help."

Before I could reply, the Unagi descends down headfirst into my body, returning my spirit into my body. I feel the winds around me dying down and the power receding within me, leaving me weak and exhausted as I leant on the ground for support. I observe my surroundings, seeing the damaged structures and walls of the base. 

"Suzume!" I feel someone embrace me from the side and I see Aang wrap his arms around my side. "I hope you're feeling better now."

"I am now," I hug him back gratefully. "And thanks for stopping me back there, things could've gotten a lot more messy if it weren't for you."

"Of course and...I had a vision just now, with Roku, about the Avatar State and how it worked," Aang revealed. 

"I did too," I nodded. "Kyoshi told me everything about it."

"Aang! Suzume!" Katara comes to a halt in front of both of us, hugging us both gratefully. "I hope both of you are better now."

"Yeah, we are and I'm sorry you had to see me like that," I apologised ashamedly. "I just hope you never have to see me like that again."

"Ha! Are you joking? That was almost perfect!" General Fong praised behind us after we break up our embrace. "We just have to find out a way to control you when you're like that."

Aang turns to face him with an expression of unadulterated anger, not bothering to mask his anger any longer, "You're out of your mind."

"I guess we'll figure it out on the way to the Fire Nation." Just as I was about to knock the general back with airbending, Sokka rides up behind him and knocks him on the head with a club, causing him to fall to the ground motionless.

"Anybody got a problem with that?" Sokka questioned, looking around and seeing a unanimous 'no' from everyone

We pick ourselves up from the ground as an earthbending soldier approaches us, bowing before us respectfully. "Do you still want an escort to Omashu?"

Katara crosses her arms, looking around our group and answering on our behalf, "I think we're all set."

We all board on Appa and the flying bison takes to the sky, departing for our next destination. 

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

37.6K 1.9K 44
Heimat: a place that you can call home; a sense of belongingness, acceptance, safety and connection to homeland A decade has passed after the final b...
296K 9.8K 96
Water.... Earth... Fire... Air A long time ago, the four nations lived together in harmony. The skies were filled with life and the land with love, b...
1M 30.8K 50
(Y/n) has had a hard life. Her mother was killed, father went to war, and had to protect her twin brother and little sister Sokka and Katara for as l...