All Things Must End

נכתב על ידי ambercoleman48jj

A year after Alina Starkov tears down the Shadow Fold, she is finally able to settle into her peaceful life... עוד

𝐂𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝟏 • 𝕀𝕘𝕟𝕠𝕣𝕒𝕟𝕥 𝔹𝕝𝕚𝕤𝕤
𝐂𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝟐 • 𝔼𝕣𝕣𝕠𝕟𝕖𝕠𝕦𝕤 𝕊𝕒𝕗𝕖𝕥𝕪
𝐂𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝟑 • 𝕁𝕦𝕤𝕥𝕚𝕔𝕖 𝕒𝕟𝕕 𝕍𝕖𝕟𝕘𝕖𝕒𝕟𝕔𝕖
𝐂𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝟓 • 𝕋𝕙𝕖 𝔾𝕚𝕝𝕕𝕖𝕕 ℙ𝕣𝕚𝕤𝕠𝕟
𝐂𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝟔 • 𝔸 ℙ𝕠𝕨𝕖𝕣𝕗𝕦𝕝 𝕊𝕢𝕦𝕒𝕝𝕝𝕖𝕣
𝐂𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝟕 • 𝔻𝕖𝕤𝕖𝕣𝕧𝕖 𝕐𝕠𝕦
𝐂𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝟖 • ℕ𝕠 𝕋𝕚𝕞𝕖 𝕥𝕠 𝕊𝕦𝕣𝕣𝕖𝕟𝕕𝕖𝕣
𝐂𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝟗 • 𝔸𝕟 𝕌𝕟𝕤𝕥𝕒𝕓𝕝𝕖 𝕊𝕒𝕗𝕖𝕘𝕦𝕒𝕣𝕕
𝐂𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝟏𝟎 • 𝕋𝕙𝕖 𝔹𝕠𝕪 𝕠𝕗 𝕊𝕙𝕒𝕕𝕠𝕨𝕤
𝐂𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝟏𝟏 • 𝔸𝕝𝕚𝕧𝕖 𝕎𝕚𝕥𝕙𝕠𝕦𝕥 𝕃𝕚𝕧𝕚𝕟𝕘
𝐂𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝟏𝟐 • ℂ𝕒𝕡𝕥𝕚𝕧𝕖 𝕥𝕠 𝕠𝕦𝕣 𝔽𝕖𝕒𝕣𝕤
𝐂𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝟏𝟑 • 𝔹𝕒𝕥𝕥𝕝𝕖 𝕊𝕔𝕒𝕣𝕤
𝐂𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝟏𝟒 • 𝔸 ℍ𝕖𝕒𝕣𝕥 𝔽𝕦𝕝𝕝 𝕠𝕗 𝔾𝕣𝕚𝕖𝕗
𝐂𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝟏𝟓 • 𝕋𝕙𝕖 𝔽𝕒𝕓𝕝𝕖 𝕠𝕗 𝕀𝕟𝕧𝕚𝕟𝕔𝕚𝕓𝕚𝕝𝕚𝕥𝕪
𝐂𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝟏𝟔 • ℂ𝕠𝕝𝕕 𝕄𝕠𝕠𝕟 𝔽𝕖𝕤𝕥𝕚𝕧𝕒𝕝
𝐂𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝟏𝟕 • 𝕋𝕙𝕖 𝕋𝕣𝕠𝕦𝕓𝕝𝕖𝕕 ℙ𝕣𝕚𝕟𝕔𝕖
𝐂𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝟏𝟖 • 𝕋𝕣𝕒𝕚𝕥𝕠𝕣𝕠𝕦𝕤 𝔸𝕝𝕝𝕚𝕖𝕤
𝐂𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝟏𝟗 • 𝕋𝕒𝕞𝕚𝕟𝕘 𝕥𝕙𝕖 𝔹𝕖𝕒𝕤𝕥
𝐂𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝟐𝟎 • 𝕋𝕙𝕒𝕥 𝕎𝕙𝕚𝕔𝕙 𝔸𝕚𝕝𝕤 𝕄𝕖
𝐂𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝟐𝟏 • 𝕀𝕗 𝕀 𝕄𝕦𝕤𝕥 𝔻𝕚𝕖
✨Vacation✨
𝐂𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝟐𝟐 • 𝔸𝕥𝕥𝕒𝕔𝕜 𝕠𝕟 𝕆𝕟𝕖, 𝔸𝕥𝕥𝕒𝕔𝕜 𝕠𝕟 𝔸𝕝𝕝
𝐂𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝟐𝟑 • 𝔸𝕔𝕥𝕤 𝕠𝕗 𝕃𝕠𝕧𝕖 𝕒𝕟𝕕 𝕎𝕒𝕣
𝐂𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝟐𝟒 • 𝔸 𝕄𝕠𝕥𝕙𝕖𝕣'𝕤 𝕃𝕠𝕤𝕤
𝐂𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝟐𝟓 • ℝ𝕖𝕞𝕖𝕕𝕪 𝕥𝕠 𝕌𝕟𝕟𝕒𝕥𝕦𝕣𝕒𝕝 ℂ𝕣𝕖𝕒𝕥𝕚𝕠𝕟
𝐂𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝟐𝟔 • 𝕎𝕒𝕪𝕤 𝕥𝕠 𝕥𝕙𝕖 ℍ𝕖𝕒𝕣𝕥
𝐂𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝟐𝟕 • 𝔸 𝕊𝕙𝕠𝕨 𝕠𝕗 ℙ𝕠𝕨𝕖𝕣
𝐂𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝟐𝟖 • 𝔸 ℙ𝕖𝕣𝕗𝕖𝕔𝕥, 𝔻𝕖𝕒𝕕𝕝𝕪 𝕎𝕒𝕝𝕥𝕫
𝐂𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝟐𝟗 • 𝔹𝕝𝕚𝕟𝕕𝕚𝕟𝕘 𝕃𝕠𝕧𝕖
𝐂𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝟑𝟎 • ℍ𝕖𝕣𝕠𝕚𝕤𝕞 & 𝕊𝕥𝕦𝕡𝕚𝕕𝕚𝕥𝕪
𝐂𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝟑𝟏 • 𝕄𝕒𝕪 𝕊𝕒𝕚𝕟𝕥𝕤 𝕠𝕗 𝕆𝕝𝕕 𝔾𝕦𝕚𝕕𝕖 𝕐𝕠𝕦
𝐂𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝟑𝟐 • ℙ𝕖𝕣𝕗𝕖𝕔𝕥 𝕀𝕞𝕡𝕖𝕣𝕗𝕖𝕔𝕥𝕚𝕠𝕟𝕤
𝐂𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝟑𝟑 • 𝕃𝕠𝕧𝕖 𝔸𝕝𝕨𝕒𝕪𝕤 𝕎𝕚𝕟𝕤
𝐂𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝟑𝟒 • 𝔸 𝕗𝕝𝕒𝕞𝕖 𝕣𝕖𝕚𝕘𝕟𝕚𝕥𝕖𝕕
𝐂𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝟑𝟓 • 𝕋𝕙𝕖 𝔽𝕚𝕟𝕒𝕝 𝔹𝕒𝕥𝕥𝕝𝕖
𝐂𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝟑𝟔 • 𝔽𝕠𝕣𝕖𝕧𝕖𝕣
𝐂𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝟑𝟕 • 𝕃𝕠𝕧𝕖 𝕃𝕚𝕜𝕖 𝕋𝕙𝕚𝕤
𝐂𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝟑𝟖• 𝔸𝕗𝕥𝕖𝕣 𝔸𝕝𝕝 𝕋𝕙𝕚𝕤 𝕋𝕚𝕞𝕖
𝕀𝕞𝕡𝕠𝕣𝕥𝕒𝕟𝕥 𝔸𝕦𝕥𝕙𝕠𝕣 ℕ𝕠𝕥𝕖𝕤 & 𝕋𝕙𝕒𝕟𝕜𝕤

𝐂𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝟒 • ℙ𝕒𝕕𝕣𝕒𝕪𝕒

384 13 2
נכתב על ידי ambercoleman48jj

        I TᑌᑕK YSEᒪᖴ away in my bedroom for the rest of the day. Aleksander must have gotten the hint because he hasn't come in. I go to sleep alone, and that's how it stays for half of the night. However, around one in the morning, I feel his presence in the room. My eyes flutter open to see that my presumption is correct. I spot him sitting on the end of the bed, silently observing me. 

        I roll my eyes and bury my head in the pillow. "You know you look creepy when you do that, right?"

        "Do what?" he says innocently.

        "Stare at me in the darkness while I sleep."

        With my face still smothered in the pillow, I hear his footsteps approach, and the mattress dips down near my waist. He says nothing; he just sits on the edge, observing me.

        I roll over to face him and mumble, "Why are you sitting at the end of the bed creepily? You can still sleep here even if I'm mad, you know."

        "I figured you didn't want to see me."

        It isn't that I do not want to see him, but I guess I am just unsure of what to say to him. That man in the dungeon was not my husband. He was a villain. A murderer.

        His words finally sink in, and my eyes grow wider in realization. To be sure, I incircle his wrist with my fingers. There is no amplification, no jolt of reassuring power. He is also still wearing his kefta instead of nightclothes. He isn't here. With three amplifiers, our connection is stronger than ever. It is difficult to tell the difference between reality and the tether.

        "You're not really here."

        He brushes his thumb over my knuckles gently as he loosely holds my hand. "As I said, I didn't think you wanted to see me."

        We sit in silence for the longest time. He is waiting for me to initiate the conversation. I suppose we can't put this off forever.

        I sit up, resting my back against the headboard. "Why did you do that to those prisoners, Aleksander?"

        "They deserved to die. They committed the highest form of treason. They tried to kill you."

        I cup his cheek to calm him down and reply in a soothing voice. "I know what they did. I'm not saying they didn't deserve to be punished. In this case, consequences were necessary."

        "Then why are you upset, Alina?"

        "It wasn't the fact that you killed them. It was how you killed them. I saw the look in your eyes, Aleksander. You liked it. As a king, you have to put justice before revenge."

        "I know that, Alina."

        "Do you?" I ask promptly. "You heard the man in the cell. They weren't the only ones that had this crazy idea of the Fold being something to be worshipped and respected. Those people most likely hate me as much as the prisoners did. Promise me that if one of them comes after me again, you won't turn back into—"

        "A monster?" he finishes, quirking his brow at me. We both know that's what I meant, even if I wouldn't say it aloud.

        "Promise me you won't let all the things you've done to change in this past year be in vain."

        He sighs and leans in, pressing a ghost of a kiss on my lips, reminding me that he isn't actually here. "I will do many things to appease you, Alina." I smile, thinking he is about to succumb, but then he says, "however, sacrificing your and Amelia's safety is not one of them." His face hardens. "You are not to leave this room, Alina. We will do a sweep of the Palace to make sure it is safe and test every worker to make sure they have your safety as their top priority. I will bring Amelia to you, and you will both stay here."

        I stand up, clenching my fists. "You can't keep me in here!"

        "I can, and I did."

        Then, there is a click on the other end of the room. It was the lock on our bedroom door. I ran over and yanked on the handle, but it wouldn't budge. I banged on the wood, but there was no answer.

        "I am doing this for your own good, Alina. I cannot lose you. You will be safest in here."

        I turn to face him, but he is already gone, vanished back to whatever part of the palace he came from.

        "Coward!" I yell uselessly into the shadows of our empty chambers.

        About ten minutes after our conversation, there is a trail of smoke coming out of my ears as I pace back and forth. It only stops when I hear the lock click again. The door opens only slightly, and Amelia comes running in. As soon as we reunite in a tight embrace, the door slams shut and locks again. A frustrated puff of air leaves my lips as Amelia clings to me tighter.

        "Why is padraya  <Father>  doing this? Did I do something wrong?"

        I sink down to my knees to meet her teary eyes. "No, my Amelia. You did nothing to cause this, I promise."

        "Then why did he tell me that I can't leave?"

        I sigh and explain to her that, "The Darkling is scared. Someone who wasn't supposed to be in the palace tried to hurt me. He is doing the wrong thing with the right intentions."

        She nods in a bit of understanding. I wipe the hot tears from her cheeks and kiss her forehead. Then, I carry her to the bed and slide her under the sheets before lying beside her.

        It doesn't take her long to fall asleep, but for me, I finally slip into a not-so-peaceful sleep an hour after her. I thought I would have nightmares from all the stress, but I find a more pleasant dream awaiting me. It is more of a memory, really.

        The dream starts when Amelia ran off without anyone's knowledge of where she went. Aleks and I searched for her for an hour straight. Once we finally found her outside, playing in the garden, Aleksander asked her where she's been (a bit more forcefully than needed). This was near the beginning of the adoption, so he was still learning how to become less. . . Darkling-like around her.

"Sorry, Sir," she mumbled with her head lowered. "I just wanted to explore the courtyard."

His eyes softened. He approached her and kneeled before her defeated figure. "I'm not angry, Little One. We were just worried about you. We have lots of enemies, you know, and someday, they might try to use you to get to us. We just want you safe." He tilted her chin up. "And you do not have to call me Sir or moi tsar. There is a reason we adopted you, and it would defeat the purpose if you keep calling us by formal titles. I would prefer you call me Father, if you'd like."

She twinkled with a brilliant smile and hugged him tightly. Instead of returning the gesture, he patted her on the head, and I giggled at his unfamiliarity with hugs.

        That is when I wake up to a beam of sunlight filtering through the curtains onto my face. My arm is wrapped protectively around Amelia. A blonde curl flutters away from her mouth as she breathes out, and a bit of drool runs from her open lips. I smile before slipping out of bed as quietly as possible to put on a robe over my nightgown.

        Still a bit groggy from sleep, I finally recall the events of last night. I thought it was all a dream. Unfortunately, the door is still locked, and my husband is still somewhere thinking he is doing the right thing. But the hard truth is that he is reverting. That is his comfort zone—needing to be in control—and in a time where he can't be, he forces it onto others. In this case, it is Amelia and me.

There is a knock at the door, and it unlocks. Amelia stirs but doesn't wake up. I am prepared to give Aleksander a piece of my mind, but I am surprised to find that it is not the Darkling. It's. . .

"Nikolai?" I whisper.

He winks and closes the door quietly as to not wake the sleeping child.

"Tell me you didn't forget about your favorite top Military Strategist already. I've only been gone for a few months."

"Of course not; I've been awaiting your arrival, worrying about you every hour of every day," I quip. "How did you get in? The door was—"

"A privateer isn't just good at sailing, dear. They can also pick locks faster than you can say 'walking walrus in the Wandering Isle'." He displays a dazzling smile. Nikolai's familiar hazel eyes and blonde hair were once his prominent features. Now it is the black scars and leathery patches of skin covering his body. He is human again, but not the same Nikolai as when I first met him. Yet another thing the Darkling can never take back.

        Nikolai brings me into a hug. "I missed you," he says, all joking aside.

        "I missed you too."

        "And maybe someday, your lovely husband will stop sending me on long trips in order to ignore my existence."

"He'll come around eventually."

"No, he won't," Nikolai grins.

        "Speaking of," I say suspiciously. "How did you convince the Darkling to let you come see me?"

        The mischievous look on his face answers the question for me.

        "He didn't, did he?"

        "Picking locks is not needed with permission, love. He has no idea I'm even back from my expedition yet."

        I roll my eyes. "He is going to kill you if he finds out you came to see me."

        He does his annoying little smirk and says, "That's only if he finds out."

        I hear shuffling and then a gasp. "Nikki!" Amelia beams from across the room. She has finally come to. Her curls stick up every which way.

        "Ah, there's my favorite small demon child," Nikolai says. He prepares to catch her as she sprints toward him at full speed.

I continue our conversation from before as he is holding Amelia upside down by her legs. "Don't push your luck with my husband. I had to fight for you to get a significant position in his military and steer him away from his alternative option."

"And what was that?" he asks.

"Killing you," I mutter so Amelia can't hear it. She is giggling too much to listen.

"I'd prefer to stay alive, thank you."

"He will take any opportunity he is given to fire you or worse."

"Relax," he rasps, flopping Amelia down onto the fluffy rug. "As long as he doesn't see me here, we won't have a problem.

"Okay," I sigh.

We both freeze when the door handle raddles suddenly. I feel nauseous when I catch a glimpse of a black kefta in the doorway. Aleksander emerges from the hall. A neutral look turns into one of pure fury in the blink of an eye.

Nikolai turns to me with a frown. "Well, now we have a problem."

המשך קריאה

You'll Also Like

10.7K 371 56
Ivan, one of the most loyal and trusted wards from the General Kirigan also known as Darkling, walked through the corridors of the Little Palace sear...
7.9K 226 7
This is a collection of some darklina one-shots and short stories. It includes: -𝐍𝐨𝐭 𝐀𝐥𝐰𝐚𝐲𝐬 𝐭𝐡𝐞 𝐕𝐢𝐥𝐥𝐚𝐢𝐧 -𝐒𝐚𝐲 𝐌𝐲 𝐍𝐚𝐦𝐞 -𝐀...
209K 6.2K 60
What if the Darkling and Alina hadn't been interrupted that night at the winter fete? What if the Darkling had caused Alina to become pregnant with a...
44.3K 1.5K 43
When Alina and her loyal followers escaped the royal chapel in Os Alta, they left the Darkling dying buried under the ruins. Now, he sits on the thro...