Girls Don't Know Jack

By mmjayoh

Wilcrest Girls Academy is an all-girls private school - or it was, until Jack Moody entered the halls. 8:35... More

Love at First Bell
Adam Sandler Core
Body Mist and Bike Rides
Second Worst Day of My Life
Sick Days
Call Me Barf-Bag
Our Lord and Savior, Celine Dion
Progressive Parenting
Wilcrest Academy for Murderers
Party Crashers
Crash and Burn
Worst Case Scenario
Blondes Have More Fun
Cheech and Chong
A Case of The Scaries
World's Proudest Father
Delinquent Behaviors
Surprise Visit
Late Night Drives
Jealousy's a Disease, Get Well Soon
He Goes to Another School
Alfredo and Pain
Homewrecker
Shantay, You Stay
The Enemy in Mary Janes
Dancing Shoes
Claws Come Out
Sh*t Friends
Picking Up The Pieces
Liar, Liar, Pants on Fire
John Cusack Wannabe
Opposite Day
Pinch Me
Soak It In
Characters
The Full Playlist

The Girl Gang of Misfit Teens

148 17 32
By mmjayoh

♫ Walk - Griff 

Under the setting sun, I attempt to wrangle the gaggle of misfit girls behind the brick building of Wilcrest Academy. Excited chatter fills the air as I take a few steps up the cement stairs.

"Okay, everyone listen up," I shout over their heads. Quieting down, dozens of eyes stare up at me, waiting for my next instruction.

Faces who have never thought to spare me a glance before, now listen intently. It's actually quite beautiful how the mind-numbing beauty of one teen boy can bring so many people together.

Clearing my throat, I raise my voice to cut through the crowd. "Alright, listen up," I instruct. "Parents are beginning to file into the library for the PTA meeting. Once we head in, we will need to appear united—show our support for Jack Moody."

A few heads nod back at me. Some smoothing their hair or applying their last touch ups to their faces. It's a bit nauseating to see them only care about their appearance to Jack, but I'm not afforded the luxury to be picky right now.

My eyes lock onto Jade in the crowd, she offers me a small smile of encouragement. It calms a bit of my nerves.

It's nice to have her support again—and all it really took was being honest. Who knew? One short conversation about what had been going on with Jack, and she was on board to help.

And I know I promised Jack I wouldn't tell anyone about his mom, but I figured under these dire circumstances, he might be willing to hear me out on that.

The heavy door creaking open behind me causes me to jump. Turning around, I'm met with Naila's mess of curly hair popping out of the opening. "I think they're ready!" she squeaks and I give a curt nod.

.....................

A gaggle of pleated skirts tap down the shiny maroon floor in matching Mary Janes. Rounding the corner, we march forward like the least intimidating gang of misfit teens you've ever seen.

Stern faces determined to complete the mission at hand approach the double doors of Wilcrest library, flinging them open before scanning the crowd.

Dozens of plastic chair filled with sweaty old bodies gather in the center of the carpeted floor. All peering up to take in the mass of girls crashing the meeting. Narrowed eyes watch as we file into the back of the room.

The beady eyes of Mr. McKinney are enough to burn a hole straight through my forehead. Red faced and shaking, he sits near the front with Emma cowering at his side.

Leaning against a row of tall bookcases, I stand shoulder to shoulder with my army of girls, staring back at the force of a man, challenging him to the face off to come.

A hand stretches up above the crowd catching my attention. It waves back at me and I follow it down to a comforting face. My dad smiling widely at me, round cheeks rosy as he beams, so proud I've initiated such a movement for my friend.

Nudging my mother at his side, she follows his lead, smiling back at me before offering me two thumbs up. By their gestures, I try to act embarrassed, motioning for them to stop it—but really, I'm elated to see them.

I'm riddled with nerves. Hands clammy anticipating having to speak in front of this many people. And even more nervous at the possibility of none of this working—of Jack still receiving an expulsion at the end of this all.

The thought of never repairing a friendship with Jack Moody is enough to make me feel sick.

Like Beetlejuice himself, the thought of the boy brings his presence to life. Entering into the room, it's like a puff of fresh air has been breathed into us all.

Tall and dark, the brooding boy enters the library with a scowl. Dripped in his signature black converse and dark jeans, he saunters in towards the crowd, but to my surprise, he's not alone.

Linked into his arm is an old familiar face—his mother, Kate. Colorful scarf wrapped around her head, Jack leads her shaky legs to a small chair.

It's clear the woman is exhausted; dark circles under her eyes, but she holds her head high. Face serious and expression unreadable, she places a hand onto Jack's back as he sits down next to her, careful to stare down at only his shoes.

And the guilt twists in my side yet again, as I realize the stress I've now caused not only Jack, but his mother too. The thought of her discovering everything he's been hiding, all because of me, makes my stomach flip.

Just then, Principal Wells steps forward in the front of the crowd grabbing my attention as she appears eager to start now that everyone has arrived.

"Welcome everyone," the blonde woman begins, scanning the crowd. "I hadn't expected such a turnout. But it looks like we have many parties interested in our discussion for tonight. So, shall we begin?"

With a few nods, Principal Wells plasters on a smile. "Right. So, there are a few smaller housekeeping matters to take care of first—"

"Let's just jump into the issue at hand," a low voice booms interjecting the woman. All heads turn towards Mr. McKinney as he continues to grumble. "That boy needs to be expelled from this establishment."

Taken aback, Principal Wells nods slowly. "I understand your frustration Mr.—"

"It's more than frustration," he growls and then stands to his feet. "I've talked to a dozen other parents at this school and no one wants this boy here to damage our daughters. He's already stirred up enough trouble. Starting rumors, creating physical altercations—"

"Sir, I understand. But please take your seat so we can discuss this matter calmly," the principal warns.

Mr. McKinney juts his head back in disgust. "This is completely inappropriate. You're related to the boy. And you've already swept some incidents under the rug," Mr McKinny accuses, voice growing louder as his anger builds.

Throwing his arms up wildly, he defers to the crowd. "Did anyone else here know that boy was caught giving drugs to another young girl at this school?"

Other parents begin to whisper nervously, pointing to the accused boy who begins to sink down into his chair, shielding his eyes from their fiery stares.

Unable to take the ridiculous accusations any longer, I jump the middle of the crowd.

"None of this is Jack Moody's fault!" I proclaim.

Every head in the room turns to look at me. It immediately turns my skin damp with sweat. An overwhelming urge to burst out of the room becomes me, but I force it down. I have to do this—I owe it to Jack.

"Oh, great," the infuriated man grumbles. "He's already brainwashed half of our daughters." His large, chubby hand motions to the girls I've wrangled against the back wall.

Heated, I shake my head feverishly. "Jack Moody hasn't brainwashed anyone," I huff, knowing full well he's had me under a spell since day one.

But, that's beside the point.

"Molly," Principal Wells calls to me. "This isn't the way we conduct things here."

Frustrated, my feet stomp towards the woman, taking a stand next to her in the front of the room. I lean over to her ear. "Please, can I just say a few words?" I utter nervously.

Seeming to sense my good intentions—or perhaps my desperation, she reluctantly steps to the side.

Taking center stage, I look out at the crowd. Dozens upon dozens of inquiring eyes staring back at me, patiently awaiting my every word.

Every ounce of saliva leaves my mouth, leaving it dry and hoarse. I force a swallow, feeling like a piece of broken glass sticks in my throat as my knees go shaky.

"Uh—," I stammer nervously. "Jack Moody is...a good person."

My words come out slow and unsure, sounding less like my own voice and more like that of a scared little girl.

"He's done plenty of good things," I stutter, scanning the room. My eyes lock onto the girl with chestnut hair from the lunch table earlier today. "Like, he sharpens...pencils."

Brows scrunch at me above narrowed eyes, and I feel as though I've lost them. I shake my head, and then take a deep breath in.

This is for Jack Moody. I remind myself before glancing over to the boy still shrunk in his chair. Briefly, his dark eyes lift to meet mine, and my nerves melt away for a moment.

Jutting out my chin, I stand straighter. "Jack Moody deserves to stay at this school. Any school would be lucky to have him," I explain. "He's been a good friend to a lot of people here at Wilcrest—just look how many showed up for him tonight."

My spindly arms motion to the girls plastered against the shelves in the back room. And while my hand is shaky, they stand solid and united in protest.

A smile tugs at my lips, suddenly finding some confidence. "Jack's helped pick up the slack, when some of us couldn't finish their half of the assignment. He's given some of us a safe ride home, when it felt like we couldn't get there on our own. He's been a study partner and someone to laugh with," I explain to the crowd.

Reminiscing on the old memories brings a smile to my face. I had spent so much time being a nervous wreck and trying to impress him, I hadn't even stopped to appreciate the friend I had already gained in him.

Growing braver with each word, I carry on to proudly tack on to his list of accomplishments. "Jack even found my old bike and brought it back to my house in one piece!"

Jack's eyes narrow at me at that last part, and I pipe back down. With a sigh, I run a nervous clammy hand over my dark bob.

"Look, I know he isn't perfect," I mumble, even though the statement pains me to admit. "He's made some mistakes—but he's going through the most difficult part of his life right now. Anyone in his position would do the same."

At my words, Kate offers me a soft smile while adjusting the colorful headwrap perched atop her head. Her thin hands covers her son's who blinks back at me.

"Jack's a good friend, with an incredibly forgiving heart," I state clearly, meaning every word. "This school means more to him than you know; it would be nice if we could offer the same grace he's shown others."

My heart catches in my throat as I stare out at the faces in front of me, seeming to soften more with each passing word. "Please," I beg. "Don't throw him to the side over a silly misunderstanding."

"Misunderstanding?" a low voice roars. "That boy accused my daughter of unspeakable acts. He ruined her reputation at this school. Do you have any idea how much damage and turmoil he has caused her?"

I bite down onto my lip, staring as Emma sulks into her chair. Her mother beside wraps a long scrawny arm around the small girl, attempting to shield her from harm.

But then a voice calls out into the masses, "I have something to say."

Stepping out from the crowd of faces emerges Tina Parker. Red faced and strewn with sweat, the girl cautiously takes a few more steps forward, her stained white polo clinging to her sticky body.

Dark eyes focused on her feet she mutters, "Jack didn't start that rumor about Emma." My breath sticks in my throat. "I did."

Heads turn to stare at the nervous-wreck fidgeting in the middle of the library floor. A spew of nervous chatter breaking out around the room.

Tina shakes her head. "I'm so sorry, Emma," she calls to the small blonde. "And Mr. and Mrs. McKinney. I never meant to cause this much trouble."

She drops her head, staring at her shoes once again. "But, if anyone should be in any trouble here, it's me—not Jack."

And while I'm still incredibly perplexed by her lies, I feel a bit of anger towards the girl diminish inside of me. Because at least she put herself on the line to admit her wrongs.

It's not a display I would have ever expected to see from little miss suck-up herself.

"Thank you, Tina," Principal Wells calls out, stepping back beside me. "We will discuss this matter Monday morning in my office, okay?"

The girl nods before sulking out of the room.

Stunned, Mr. McKinney turns back to me and the principal with a twisted face. "Well, he still doesn't have any business attending an all-girls school," he roars.

But Emma's small hand reaches up to pull on the sleeve of her father's dress shirt. Tugging him back to his seat, her weary face leans into his ear, whispering.

His pudgy red face begins to drop as she pulls away. Crossing his arms, Mr. McKinney clams up.

Taking note, Principal Wells asks the crowd, "Does anyone else have anything to add to the matter?"

Naila takes a step forward from the back. "I think Jack Moody should stay. He's been a great friend to me."

"I agree," Jade adds. "Wilcrest wouldn't be the same without him."

For the first time, Jack perks his head up, looking over his shoulder at the gaggle of girls who one by one step forward, championing for Jack Moody.

"He once gave me a pencil when mine broke."

"Jack Moody helped me when my locker jammed."

"I would kill myself if Jack Moody got expelled."

The responses pile on top of each other. And I watch as Jack's mother begins to turn misty eyed, smiling at the kind words from the friends Jack has made at his latest school.

Once they reach the end of the row, Principal Wells centers the room once more. "Okay, we will take it to a vote." Scanning the room she asks, "Does anyone object to Jack Moody's enrollment in Wilcrest Academy?"

Anxious, I eye the crowd, but not a single person budges.

Fixing my eyes onto Mr. McKinney the large man almost shakes in anger, but he remains silent with his hands folded into his lap, staring straight ahead.

"Alright, then it's settled," our principal proclaims before turning to the Moody's. "Congratulations, Jack. Looks like you're stuck with us."

A smile spreads onto her face as she claps her hands together. "Now let's get on to the rest of our meeting."

Paying no care with any other boring Wilcrest matters, I bounce back to my girls throwing my arms around them as relief washes over me.

Jack Moody may think I'm a walking tornado, he may never want to cross paths with me again, but at least for now, he gets to stay where he belongs. Here at Wilcrest, with his mother.

And that's enough to make a permanent smile stretch across my face.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

89.5K 6.1K 85
✨COMPLETED✨ I took a few steps before I stopped to face him again. "Jay?" I said, barely above a whisper. "Hmm?" "I love you. You know that right?" I...
19.5K 1.2K 55
Highest rankings ♀ #1 in dark #1 in darkacademia #1 in macabre #2 in paranormal #2 in darkmagic #2 in academy #3 in magic #8 in intrigue #9 in occu...
756K 17.4K 41
"𝙔𝙀π™ͺ π™¬π™šπ™§π™š 𝙨𝙀 π™ͺπ™£π™šπ™­π™₯π™šπ™˜π™©π™šπ™™." Milaydie Lucero is sent to Rutherford Academy in hopes of finishing high school with a prestigious dance...
18.3K 1.6K 38
Mikael Volkov was certain he knew what his type was in guys. But after transferring to a new high school and getting on that first bus, he was blown...