Azmaish-e-Ishq

By ChalWahanJaateHain

Heer Qureshi and Salaar Riaz have been best friends and next-door neighbors since they were in diapers. Life... More

Aesthetics
Ch. 1: Blue Butterfly Latte
Ch. 2: Honey Macchiato
Ch. 3: Fall Equinox Formal
Ch. 4: The Scammer
Ch. 5: Secrets and Dates
Ch. 6: Cinnamon Brewn
Ch. 7: Snickerdoodles
Ch. 8: Friendsgiving
Ch. 9: I Love You(s)
Ch. 10: Wounds
Ch. 11: Double Date
Ch. 12: The Photo Wall
Ch. 13: Home Decorating
Ch. 14: Wedding Bells
Ch. 15: The Vanishing Act
Ch. 16: Nikkah
Ch. 17: The Red Ghost
Ch. 18: The Grand Affair
Ch. 19: The Paper Balls
Ch. 20: An Unwanted Visitor
Ch. 21: Confrontations
Ch. 22: Chai & Kebabs
Ch. 23: The Husband Card
Ch. 24: Jenga
Ch. 25: Healing Isn't Linear
Ch. 26: First Date
Ch. 27: Unfinished Business
Ch. 28: Jealousy
Ch. 29: Rihan
Ch. 30: BBQ
Ch. 32: Frog Becomes a Prince
Ch. 33: Stargazing
Ch. 34: Treehouse
Ch. 35: Kiss of Death
Ch. 36: Beauty and the Beast
Ch. 37: The Pond
Ch. 38: The Envelope
Epilogue

Ch. 31: Kashmiri Chai

419 17 30
By ChalWahanJaateHain

🎶"Kabhi haq toh jatao na, hoon kya main ye batao na. Tumhari aankhon se duniya mujhe aa kar dikhao na.

(Express your right on me sometime, tell me what I am. Come and show me the world through your eyes.)"🎶

- Lost Without You | Kunaal Vermaa & Anushka Shahaney

🦋🦋🦋🦋🦋🦋🦋🦋🦋🦋🦋🦋🦋🦋🦋🦋🦋🦋🦋

Heer's P.O.V.

I sat up with a gasp, my chest heaving as my lips morphed into a sob.

It was a dream. A nightmare.

I glanced around my dark bedroom in search of the clock. 3:38 AM.

I wiped at my tears futilely, scrambling off my bed and to my window.

My fingers curled around the bottom of Salaar's slightly opened glass pane after I crossed the beam, pushing it up.

"Salaar," I whimpered, making my way to his sleeping figure, "Salaar!"

The image of them kissing just wouldn't leave my head.

His head lifted off the pillow, his barely cracked eyes filled with sleep, "Heer?" He sat up in panic and confusion as I climbed onto the bed. "Heer? What's going on?"

My arms wrapped around his neck as I cried silently. He drew an arm around my waist, his other hand trying to move the hair away from my face.

"Is everything okay? Did something happen to Baba or Anne?"

I shook my head, burying my face in his neck.

"Wh- Did... Did someone say something?"

I shook my head again.

He moved me in front of him, studying my face with soft, concerned eyes, "Baby..."

I cupped his cheeks frantically, my lips trembling, "Promise me you won't cheat on me."

His expression faltered, his amber-green eyes filling with confusion.

"Promise," I sobbed.

"Promise," he nodded, "I promise, sweetheart. Never. Come here." He pulled me into his arms, pressing a firm kiss to my forehead.

I rested my cheek on his shoulder, blubbering, "I had this dream where you and Haniya-"

"Shh, it was just a dream," he rubbed my back, "It's over."

"It felt so real-"

"It wasn't real. Calm down, baby," he cooed gently, combing his fingers through my hair. He laid me down alongside him, wiping my cheeks, "I can't see you cry, love. Shh. Please."

I moved closer, holding him tightly as I cried, "You're so precious to me, Sally. I never want to lose you."

"I'm not going anywhere, sweetheart. You're stuck with me in this world and in the next," he chuckled softly.

I sniffled, caressing his cheek as I tried to muster a smile, "And you're stuck with me."

"There's no other way I would want it to be, love." He cuddled me to himself, and I rested my head on his chest, clutching his shirt with my hand. "Go to sleep, sweetheart. You have work in a few hours. Forget about it. It was just a bad dream." He pecked my cheek and rubbed my back until I fell asleep.

He wasn't Kamran. He was my Sally. My Froggie. My protector. My husband. My heart was safe in his hands.

We both woke up to his alarm. I bid him adieu after making sure he didn't fall back asleep then went back to my room.

An hour later, I was stood in the kitchen, whisking up a batter.

"Weren't you going in to Hayat today, beta?" Baba asked as he placed his empty breakfast plate in the sink.

"I called out last minute, Baba. Just wanted a day off."

"Yet you're still baking on your day off?" he questioned amusedly.

"Salaar wanted brownies, so I thought I would make some for him. I'll make sure to save some for you too," I giggled.

He came closer and ruffled my hair, studying my eyes happily, "Ek dusre ke bohat khayal rakhte ho tum dono, maine dekha hai. Bohat khush karta hai woh tumhe, hai na?"
(You both take good care of each other, I've seen it. He makes you very happy, right?)

I smiled shyly, focusing on my batter.

"Mere dil ko bohat rahat mili hai yeh jaan kar ke tum khush ho uske saath. May you remain smiling always, beta."
(My heart has found a lot of peace in knowing that you are happy with him...)

"Thank you, Baba. By the way, where's Anne?"

"She went out to breakfast with Aiza Bhabi, Daniaal, and his mum."

Oh. Which means Sally mustn't have eaten anything.

"Alright, beta. I'm getting late for work. I'll see you tonight. Have a good day," he pecked my head, giving me a side hug.

"Same to you. Bye Baba!" I called after him.

"Bye!"

I opened the fridge, "Hmm. What can I prepare for my Froggie?"

While the brownies baked, I whipped up an omelet sandwich along with his favorite vanilla cream cold brew.

"Yes, Mr. Wilmore. We'll be focusing on the fenestration in my meeting with the team. I'll let you know what the consensus is afterwards. But they've disagreed on an enfilade, so I think we'll be scratching that idea," I heard my architect of a best friend say as he opened the door when I walked over and rang the doorbell.

I couldn't help but giggle at the fact that he brought his laptop with him to open the front door.

"Hi," I whispered, "I brought breakfast."

He smiled, welcoming me in.

"Maybe it's for the better. I was just thinking about flaneur, but I think you're right. I'll be waiting for your meeting takeaways," I heard Mr. Wilmore's respond through the laptop as I began spreading out the food on the dining table.

Fenestration, enfilade, flaneur, what language were they even speaking?

"Alright, sir. Bye."

"Bye... Oh, I'm still on the call... Hello, Salaar, can you still hear me? A whole pandemic, yet I still struggle to end these calls."

"No worries, Mr. Wilmore. I'll end the call."

"Okay, thank you, my boy. Bye."

"Bye," he chuckled, pressing the red icon before setting the laptop down on the sofa. He came up behind me and wrapped his arms around my waist, kissing my cheek, "I thought you were at Hayat, Mrs. Riaz. What are you doing here?"

"Someone wanted molten lava brownie bites," I raised my voice when I said the name of the dessert, just like he had when he informed his cousin and I of his craving last night, "Tada!" I unveiled the glass tray of brownies.

He grinned, "Love, I-" he squished my face with his hand, pressing a hard kiss to my cheek.

I giggled at the adorable action. "Aaa," I lifted a brownie to his mouth, and he ate it one go. He moaned with delight, reaching for another. "Eat your sandwich first while it's still warm!"

"Thank you, machchar. Did you eat?"

"Yes, I had cereal."

"You don't want a bite of the sandwich?" he asked, unwrapping it after we sat down.

"I'm good, thank you."

"Good, because it's all mine," he took a large bite, making me laugh.

"Wow, so generous of you."

"More for me," he shrugged playfully. He then got up and brought his laptop. He glanced at me, "But seriously, why did you take the day off? Are you tired because of waking up from the bad dream, love?"

"No, I told you I wanted to make the brownies for you, so I stayed home," I murmured, my cheeks growing warm as I realized how whipped I sounded.

He stared at me, his eyes filled with admiration. "Really?"

The heat from my face traveled up to my ears while I nodded.

He took my hand and kissed it, "You're so sweet. You didn't have to do that, baby."

I cleared my throat, "I wanted to do it."

He grinned before turning his attention to his laptop. The sound of an outgoing virtual call filled the room.

"Finish your food, Sally."

He took a sip of his cold brew, "I'll have the sandwich after I'm done with the meeting, love. It's right now. I can't be eating with my hand in front of the team."

"But the bread will turn hard."

"I'll still have it. Meri biwi ne aakhir mere liye bohat pyaar se banaya hai."
(... After all, my wife made it for me with lots of love.)

A shy smile formed on my lips before I pouted.

"Hey guys," he greeted his meeting members.

I reached for a fork and a knife from the cutlery display on the middle of the table then began cutting the sandwich into bite-sized squares. I pushed the plate closer to him, urging him with a silent cute, stern expression to take the fork.

He flashed a large smile and intertwined his left hand with my right. He held onto my hand as he ate with the fork, tuning back into the meeting.

And I sat there silently, not being able to help but admire him. He always makes me feel so special and loved. Anything I did for him could never feel like enough.

His thumb stroked my hand as he kept our fingers linked. It was nothing big, but it felt like he was telling me he was still right here, paying attention to me even if he was busy.

I always knew that whoever ends up with him would be the luckiest girl in the world, little did I know I would get to be her. And the experience was more than I could have ever imagined.

He muted the call for a second and looked at me, snapping me out of my googly-eyed state, "You're spending the day with me, right?"

"Mhm."

He smiled, "Just making sure. I'll order lunch for us."

"That's alright. We can have barbecue leftovers. There's still more kebabs, right?" I asked hopefully with puppy-eyes.

He chuckled, "Yeah."

I ushered him closer, and he leaned towards me inquisitively, out of his camera's frame. I pecked his cheek and gave him a sweet smile. "I'll be back from upstairs."

He watched me lovingly as I climbed the steps.

Sally really struggled to get up this morning, and my doubt turned out to be correct that he didn't make his bed. And I didn't mind doing it for him.

I straightened up his room then went back downstairs. Sally was still having his meeting as I passed by him. He reached his arm out to me endearingly, but I stuck my tongue out playfully, skipping into the kitchen as he furrowed his eyebrows childishly.

I sorted through the leftovers in the fridge and prepared two plates to pop into the microwave for when we're ready for lunch.

With nothing else left to do, I resorted to watching TV in the living room with the volume on low.

Sally finally joined me on the sofa near 12 PM. He laid down with his head on my lap.

My arms cradled him as I smiled, "Hi."

"Hi love," he cupped my cheek briefly, gazing up at me adoringly. "My schedule's freed up for the next few hours, so I can technically have a three-hour lunch break since I finished my task already."

"Yay!" I enthused. My hand held his cheek, my thumb stroking under his eye as I studied his face again, "Take a short nap, Sally. I know you're tired."

"Just a short one, love," he murmured, closing his eyes, "I need to get back to work at three."

"Don't worry. I'll wake you up before then to pray and eat." I lowered my head and placed a tender kiss to his forehead before pulling back and admiring him.

I couldn't resist—he was so special and loving, and the sight of him so relaxed and at ease made me want to shower him with even more love.

I pressed gentle kisses to his nose and cheek then ran my fingers through his hair soothingly just as he loves. My baby.

He opened his eyes and gazed at me warmly. After admiring his beautiful light green-golden orbs for a moment, I brushed my palm over his eyes gently, making him close them.

I used to think I knew what that four-lettered word was when I was with Kamran, but this, I didn't know I could feel like this, that every moment could feel so beautiful with the right person by your side and in your heart.

My fingers combed through his beard before caressing his cheek and massaging his head again.

I set an alarm on my phone and let myself doze off with him.

Salaar's P.O.V.

It was the following afternoon, which meant it was Friday.

Heer was working until afternoon, and I was enjoying the perks of working remote. I had finished up early, so I had the rest of the day off.

My butterfly skipped work just to bake me brownies yesterday, the least I could do was surprise her with some flowers and chocolate to bring a smile to her ethereal face.

A box of Ferrero Rocher in one hand, I grabbed a bouquet of fresh roses from the flowers stand at Sainsbury's with the other.

"Are those for Heer?" a deep, unfortunately familiar voice questioned.

I ignored him and began making my way towards the registers.

"Kya?" he chuckled dejectedly, "Ussey mujhse chheen kar jawaab bhi nahin dega?"
(What? After stealing her from me, you won't even answer?)

I paused, "Jo kho diya na sambhal paane ki wajah se, toh tujhse chheenna kaisa?"
(How is it stealing from you when you lost her because you weren't able to take care of her?)

"Chheen gayi hai. Meri mohabbat. Jo pehle thi aur aaj bhi woh hai," his voice was laced with sorrow.
(It's been stolen. My love. Which she was before and still is today)

I turned around, glaring, "Jiski qadr nahin ki, jiski aatmasamman kuchal di, jiski mann zindagi se utha di—aaj un harkaton pe mohabbat ke naam de ke mohabbat ki beizzati na karo."
(Whom you didn't value, whose self-respect you crushed, whose passion for life you took away—don't disrespect love by giving the name of 'love' to those actions.)

He stared at me, the look in his eyes sinking.

Not wanting to spoil my mood any further, I didn't wait for a response and strode off to the cashier.

Heer's P.O.V.

I stared into Salaar's eyes mesmerizingly as he handed me the bouquet and chocolates. "Thank you, Sally. I love it," I grinned, setting them down and walking over quickly to engulf him in a hug.

We were stood in the kitchen of Hayat. I was in the middle of baking another batch of peach cobbler when he surprised me.

"I'm glad," he murmured against my neck, lifting me off the ground.

He spun, making me giggle before he put me back down. I kept my arms around his neck, whispering coyly, "It really made my day."

He smiled, observing my face lovingly. His gaze focused on my temple. "You have some flour on your forehead, love."

"Oh," I murmured as he brushed it away gently, "Must've gotten on there while I was making the batter. My bangs were coming out of my bun, and I was trying to move it away."

His fingertips skimmed down to my cheek before he cradled it. "What were you making?"

"Peach cobbler."

"Hm."

"Is there anymore flour, Sally?" I whispered, noticing as his eyes settled on my lips.

"Did you taste the peach filling?" he murmured.

I gulped, nodding gently.

He began leaning down slowly, and my heart felt like it would pump out of my chest.

I found myself lifting onto my toes subtly, moving my face closer.

How would a kiss from him feel? Would it be as magical as I've imagined it to be?

He gripped my waist with his left hand, the fingers of his right brushing into my hair from my cheek.

His breath intermingled with mine. Our lips were about to meet when-

"Heer, there's a customer asking about allergens regarding the cobbler," we heard from over his shoulder.

I jumped away, dusting my apron. Salaar cleared his throat as the tip of his ears turned pink.

"I'll be right there," I stated meekly, walking past him.

Mission have my first kiss with Sally was a no-go. Yet again.

Kamran's P.O.V.

I took a deep breath before pressing the doorbell of the Qureshi house.

"Nahin, Halima, tumhari package nahin hai. Kaise ho sakta hai? Tumne toh abhi abhi order kiya hai, hai na?" Imran Qureshi chuckled as he opened the door.
(No, Halima, it's not your package. How could it be? You just placed the order right now, right?)

The smile disappeared from his lips, a straight line taking its place. "Tum?"
(You?)

I cleared my throat, clenching my fists, "Assalamwalaikum."

"Walaikumsalam," he responded curtly. "What are you doing here?"

"Is Heer home?"

His eyebrows furrowed, "What's it to you?"

"I was just-"

"She's where she belongs, where she's happy. With her husband. There is no reason for you to meet with her."

I nodded briefly, swallowing the taunt. "That's fine. I actually wanted to, uh," I wet my lips, "speak with you."

"Me?" he eyed me skeptically.

"I... I would like your help in locating my mother."

He stared at me, taken aback, until he finally uttered, "Achanak?"
(Suddenly?)

"Yes. There were some questions I had that I wanted her to clarify," I answered solemnly.

"Kyun? Dekho, Kamran, tumhari Ami ki tabiyat achchi nahin rehti-"
(Why? Look, Kamran, your Ami's health doesn't stay good-"

My forehead creased, "Is she ill?"

He studied my eyes wearily. "Her health fluctuates from time to time due to a few conditions, but it's nothing terminal," he revealed reluctantly.

My frame grew slightly at ease.

"Why the sudden desire to get in touch with her? If this is another scheme-"

"It's not. There are answers that only she can give me. I acknowledge that after everything I've done, I have no right to ask for this. But in order to make amends-"

"Why? Why did you do it?" he observed me with contempt.

"I regret it," I said with honesty, "If I could go back in time, I would have never done it."

"Lekin agar hum sab tumhe nahin gavara tha, toh itna bada khel kyun? Meri beti tumhara intezaar kar rahi thi. Uski aansuon se tumhara nafrat ki aag bujhane ka irada tha kya?"
(If we all were intolerable for you, then why such a big game? My daughter was waiting for you. Were you intending on extinguishing the fire of your hatred with her tears?)

My eyes watered as I recalled Heer in her wedding attire, staring at me with tears dripping down her face after I'd broken her heart.

"Aap ke saare sawaalon ka jawaab mere upar karz honge. Mujhe pehle mere Ami se milwade."
(All the answers to your questions will be a debt for me. First, connect me with my mother.)

His lips parted with surprise.

"Please. Jo kabhi aap ke aur mere Baba ke darmiyaan dosti the, uske khaatir."
(... For the sake of the friendship that was once between my father and yourself.)

His eyes widened before he looked down and thought about my words. He inhaled deeply, "Main... Main Bilquis se baat karunga. Agar woh tumse baat karna chahti hai toh main tumhe inform kardoonga."
(I... I will speak with Bilquis. If she wants to speak with you, then I will inform you.)

"Thank you."

He nodded reluctantly, shutting the door, visibly lost in his thoughts about our interaction.

Salaar's P.O.V.

Heer, Daniaal, and I went out for dinner then came back to my house. Daniaal was helping his mother and mine steep some Kashmiri chai using a new brand, while my wife and I were waiting for him in my room.

I slid on my sleeping shirt, glancing at Heer while she hovered over my dresser, "Are you sure you don't want to go change into your pajamas, love? You had work today."

"I'm sure, Sally. I'll probably fall asleep here if I get changed and come back here," she giggled, grabbing my hairbrush.

"That's what I want."

Her melodious laugh drew a smile on my lips. I sat down on the edge of my bed and she stood in front of me. I looked up at her with warm eyes as she did as she wished with my hair.

She grabbed her stomach as she doubled over with laughter once she was done.

"Maza aayi?" I lifted an eyebrow.
(Did you have fun?)

I could feel my hair lying limp next to my eyes.

"Bohat (A lot)!" she covered her mouth, giggling away. "I gave you the Salman Khan Tere Naam hairstyle."

I laughed sarcastically, causing her to laugh even more.

"Aww, no!" she whined, stifling her giggles while I brushed my fingers through my hair, pushing it back to rid it of its middle parting. "You should have left it."

I squinted at her.

Her hands cupped my face adorably, "You're my doll, Sally. That's how the name Sally came to be remember? Api and I would dress you up-"

"No need to remind me," I rolled my eyes playfully.

"Kyun? Meri pyaari dulhan," she cooed, pulling my cheeks before lowering her head to peck my forehead.
(Why? My lovely bride.)

I suppressed a smile, my hands slithering to the back of her legs. Her smile dropped as I tugged her down slowly so she was straddling me. With her hands placed on my shoulders, her gaze lowered, her shyness taking over. I moved to my side, laying her down next to me.

"You were the prettiest bride. I can't wait to see you as one again," I brushed her hair behind her ear, hovering over her closely, "But this time, rightfully, as my bride."

Her cheeks flushed with a beautiful rosy pink shade, avoiding my eyes.

She was so innocent. It warmed my heart to see that I could make her so coy.

Her eyes closed as I lowered my head, nudging my nose against hers gently, "Kya tum bhi yehi chahti ho?"
(Do you want it too?)

Her fingers curled around my shirt.

"Meri dulhan banna?" I murmured, letting her feel my breath on her lips.
(To be my bride?)

She opened her eyes, slowly looking up at mine.

"Salaar ki dulhan," I whispered, leaning in.

Her eyes shut again as she tilted her face up.

"Kam se kam darwaaza khula rakhta, Bhai. Meri ungliyaan jal rahi hai. Yeh lo- Oh," the door swung open before I could feel her lips.
(You could've at least kept the door open, Bhai. My fingers are burning. Take this- Oh.)

My forehead fell to Heer's shoulder, grumbling to myself quietly, "Pata nahin kahan se tapak parta hai baar baar."
(Who knows where he randomly appears from again and again?)

Daniaal clicked his tongue, "Phir se. Tum dono ki koi sharam-haya naam ki cheez hai ya nahin? Pata hai ki ek masoom, chota sa bachcha aanewala hai garam chai lekar, lekin yahan romance ho raha hai."
(Again. Do you two have anything called modesty or not? You were aware that an innocent, small child was going to come with hot tea, but there was romance going on here.)

"Sally!" Heer whispered, red as a tomato.

I inhaled deeply, brushing my lips against her cheek while I pushed myself off of her and stood next to my cousin.

"Aisa kuch nahin tha, Daniaal. Hum bas... gir gaye the..." she tried to explain, very unconvincingly.
(It was nothing like that, Daniaal. We just... fell...)

"Yeh lo," he offered us the hot cups of Kashmiri chai. "Dikh hi raha hai kaise gire the tum dono," he took a sip from his own mug then smirked, "Ek dusre ke pyaar mein."
(Take this. I can clearly see how you two fell. In each other's love.)

"Agar itna saaf saaf dikhta hai toh pyaar ke dushman bane kyun phirta hai?" I mumbled under my breath.
(If you can see so clearly then why are you roaming around as an enemy of love?)

Heer bit her lip, suppressing a giggle.

"Pyaar ke dushman ho teri behen ki saas! Main toh shuru se hi Bhabi aur tumhare rishte ke liye jang larne ke liye tayaar tha. Bhabi, tumhe toh pata hi nahin. Majnu banne phirta tha Bhai tumhare beghair. Ek din puch bhi raha tha ke seene par tumhare na-"
(If anyone's an enemy of love, it's your sister's mother-in-law! From the start, I was ready to fight a war for your and Bhabi's relationship. Bhabi, you don't even know. Bhai used to go around like a forlorn lover without you. One day, he was even asking if he on his chest he should get your na-)

I clasped my hand over his mouth, glaring.

"What?" Heer perked up curiously.

"Nothing," I answered.

"I want to know!"

"Gross!" I wiped my hand on Daniaal's shirt after I felt him lick my palm. I furrowed my eyebrows, but just before I could say anything, he read my threatening eyes and changed the topic swiftly.

"What happened to that guy who wanted to sell his pastries at Hayat?!"

"Yeah, what happened?" I added to further divert the conversation.

"Oh," she took a sip, "I was going to tell you guys that I thought about it and did some research. I also discussed it with Baba... I want to have a meeting with Andre. Baba's going to be a part of it too because he is a stakeholder of Hayat and he understands the financial side of things better than I do."

"That's great, love."

"Thanks, Sally," she smiled up at me with soft eyes.

I returned the smile. "When's the meeting?"

"I haven't scheduled it yet. I'm going to reach out to Andre soon."

I nodded.

"Sh*t. I just remembered. Bhabi, Chachi told me to tell you that she wanted to see you in her room."

Heer's P.O.V.

I knocked on Ami's bedroom door.

"Aandar aao, beta."
(Come in, dear.)

"Kya kar rahe hai aap, Ami?"
(What are you doing, Ami?)

There were a few jewelry boxes scattered around her on the bed. "Kuch dena tha tumhe."
(I was wanting to give you something.)

I sat next to her, "Kya?"
(What?)

She smiled sweetly, "Deti hoon, magar pehle yeh batao, Salaar ne kuch bataya?"
(I will give it, but tell me first, did Salaar tell you anything?)

My eyebrows pulled together inquisitively, "Kis baare mein, Ami?"
(About what, Ami?)

She grinned, taking my hands, "Walime ke baare mein!"
(About the wedding reception!)

My eyes lit up, "Nahin toh."
(No.)

"He will be off from work during winter holidays. We were thinking we could have it then. What do you think?!"

So that's why he was asking if I wanted to be his bride!

I tried to hide my grin, "Did you speak with Anne and Baba already?"

"Not yet, I didn't get the chance to. Salaar just told me this morning. I thought I could ask you first."

"I have no problem, Ami," I murmured shyly, lowering my gaze.

She squealed, wrapping me in a tight hug. She kissed my temple. "I will talk to Halima and Bhai tomorrow."

I smiled.

She took my hands then reached for a pair of beautiful diamond bangles. She slid them onto my wrists.

My smile faltered, "Ami-"

"Salaar ke Dadi ne mujhe yeh do kangan diye the mere aur Rashid ke nikkah hone ke baad. Ab main apni beti ko dena chahti hoon. And look, they fit you so well."
(Salaar's paternal grandmother gave me these two bangles after my and Rashid's nikkah. Now I want to give them to my daughter...)

"Ami, nahin, aap rakh de. Itni mehngi-"
(Ami, no, you keep it. Such expensive-)

"Mehngai ki baat chodo. Tumse keemti koi cheez ho sakti hai, kya?" she caressed my cheek lovingly. "Maine itne saal yeh soch kar sambhal ke rakha tha ke ek din main apni bahu ko doongi. Agar tum inkaar karogi toh mujhe bohat taqleef hogi."
(Forget expensiveness. Could there be anything more precious than you? I kept them safely for so many years with the thought that one day I will give them to my daughter-in-law. If you refuse, then I will be very hurt.)

"Alright. I will keep them. Thank you so much, Ami. I love you," I hugged her.

"Oh, I love you too, my dear!"

I kept my arms wrapped around her while she showed me a few of her other jewelry sets.

"Ami?" I rested my cheek on her shoulder.

"Yes, beta?"

I pouted, "Please ask Salaar to stay longer. If you ask him, he will stay."

He was leaving tomorrow evening.

She tilted her head, placing it on mine, "Are you going to miss him?"

"A lot. It's not the same when he's not here."

"That's true," she sighed. "But I can't ask him, dear. You know how studious he was in school, he's just as focused when it comes to work. It's a big deal that he came to visit for almost a week."

"You're right," I sighed.

"I know you've only been here a week, but maybe you can go back with him. He's going to miss you too."

"I would have, but I have some new things to take care of at Hayat next week."

"Ohh. Do you like London more now?"

"Yes, but I would like it a lot more if I could just put Hayat in my suitcase and take it with me," I giggled.

She laughed amusedly. "Kaash."
(Only if it were possible.)

Salaar's P.O.V.

Heer and I held hands while we walked up the steps to her front porch later that night.

"When's Daniaal leaving?"

"Sunday."

"Oh."

"Remind me again why you won't sleep in my room tonight?"

"And risk Daniaal coming in yet again?"

"Kebab mein haddi nahin, kaanta hai woh."
(He's not a bone in a kebab, he's a thorn.)

"It wasn't his fault, Sally. We just forgot he was going to come back."

"Haan haan," I frowned, "Bhabi ho na tum uski, tarafdari toh karogi hi tumhare devar ka."
(Yes yes. You're his sister-in-law, you're of course going to side with your brother-in-law.)

She giggled, standing on the tip of her toes as she wrapped her arms around my neck. "My loyalty is with you, Sally."

I drew my arms around her waist, resting my forehead against hers with a content, closed-mouth smile.

"I wish we could stay like this forever," she whispered, her fingertips stroking the nape of my neck soothingly.

"You are my forever, Heer. You're the greatest thing that's ever happened to me."

She moved her head back slightly, gazing at my eyes mesmerizingly, "You too. Salaar... I..." a smile tugged on her lips, "I-I- lo"

"Shaam se khoye khoye se ho, Immu. Kya baat hai?"
(You've been aloof since the evening, Immu. What's the matter?)

Our eyes flew to the open living room window.

"Kaha na. Kuch nahin, Halima."
(I told you. It's nothing, Halima.)

Heer searched my eyes questioningly.

Baba's voice gave away that something was on his mind. His tone wasn't that of his normal jovial one.

"Immu, tell me."

We heard him sigh. "Earlier... when the doorbell rang-" he paused.

"What?"

Heer and I stepped away from each other just as the door opened.

"You're back, beta?" my father-in-law smiled. "Did you two have fun?"

"Yes, Baba. Is everything okay?" Heer asked, "What were you and Anne talking about?"

Anne appeared behind him.

"Oh. You heard us?"

Heer nodded with concern.

Baba looked at everyone before taking a deep breath. He explained that Kamran visited earlier today and wanted to get in touch with his mother. We all stood in his silence as we processed the incident.

"I think," Heer cleared her throat, "that you should tell Bilquis Chachi. I'm sure she would love to connect with him again."

"Despite everything, you're saying that?" Baba asked incredulously.

My wife reflected silently before answering in a quiet voice, "Yes."

"I don't know what's going through his mind. He has not been in touch with her for majority of his life. If he misbehaves with her or acts out, given her unstable health, I worry for her-"

"Perhaps he wants to make amends?" Heer posited carefully.

My hands slowly balled into fists.

He studied Heer. "Why now? What prompted his change of mind?"

Heer's P.O.V.

Perhaps what I told him when I last saw him at Hayat. It seems like he's given my words serious thought considering he reached out to Baba to find Bilquis Chachi.

"Regret?" I whispered to no one in particular. I spoke a bit louder, "Wouldn't this be a good thing if he is sincere, Baba? Chachi would get her son back if they clear things up."

Anne folded her arms, "I don't trust him."

I sighed, looking at my mother.

"Who knows what he's plotting in his head?!"

Baba let out a quiet, heavy breath, "I'll call his mother in the morning... I don't want to stand as a barrier between her and her son."

And that's what Baba did in his study after breakfast the following morning. Chachi was surprised, but as expected, she's welcoming Kamran with open arms. I'm not sure if Baba contacted Kamran to let him know yet though.

I crossed over to Salaar's for lunch and to help him pack. I would've gone earlier had I not been caught up with Baba and Chachi.

"Hi Sally," I beamed when he opened the door.

"Hi," he flashed a small smile, making mine fade as he turned around right after and disappeared into the kitchen.

I glanced at Daniaal who was sat on the couch, and he shrugged.

I followed Salaar to the kitchen. He was collecting plates to set the dining table while Ami was finishing up with her cooking.

"Assalamwalaikum, Ami."

"Walaikumsalam, beta," she grinned.

My parents were going out and would be back before Salaar leaves.

"Let me help you, Sally."

He gave me half the stack of plates without looking at me then walked over to the dining table.

As we placed them on the table, he kept his gaze lowered.

"Do you want me to help you pack after we eat or now?"

He pushed yet another small smile to his lips, "I packed already. Thank you though."

I studied his eyes as long as I could, which was not very long at all because once he put the last plate down, he went up the stairs to his room.

I trailed behind quickly, pushing his bedroom door open before it closed, "Salaar!"

He turned around.

"Naraaz ho kya mujhse?" I asked softly.
(Are you angry at me?)

"Naraaz nahin hoon."
(I'm not angry.)

His tone of voice indicated that there was something else.

I moved closer and searched his orbs, whispering, "Phir?"
(Then?)

"Kuch nah-"
(It's noth-)

I held his cheek, "You said we wouldn't hide anything from each other."

He closed his eyes, inhaling deeply.

"Is it something I said?" I tried racking my brain on what I could have said that made him upset.

We texted each other a "Good morning" after we woke up, a "Good night" before we went to sleep last night, prior to that was Baba mentioning Kam-

The fingers of my other hand linked with his. "Is this about Kamran?"

His jaw tightened.

"Sally-"

He looked at my eyes, the hidden hurt growing clear. "I don't understand your softness towards him," he stated in a serious, quiet voice.

"Softness? Salaar, it's not- No," I shook my head, my eyes watering, "It's not like that."

Salaar's P.O.V.

I know Heer is very forgiving, but after all that he did to her, I was nowhere near pardoning him for any of it. And I know she means well, but I don't like hearing her speak in his favor either.

"Remember I told you that he came to Hayat a few weeks ago? The day before I last went to London?"

I recalled their encounter as her words reached my ears. She had told me about it.

She gripped my forearms, trying to reason, "I just thought he was trying to take my advice. I told him to find out what really happened in the past, to talk to his relatives. I thought that's what he was doing. Maybe he really regrets what he-"

"He does," she stared at me as the words left my mouth, "But what does that change?"

And I regretted those words, but I couldn't stop them. It was my d*mn insecurities talking. I hated hearing her talk about Kamran. That's it.

Her hands retreated slowly, "What are you trying to say?" Tears dripped down her cheeks, her nose pink. And they only worsened the anguish inside me. "D-do you think that I still have feelings for him? Salaar," her lips trembled, "biwi hoon main tumhari-"
(... I'm your wife-)

I reached out to wipe her cheeks, "No, sweetheart, I-"

"Do you think I'm going to go back to him?!" she exclaimed.

"Don't even ask that," I replied sternly. I took her wrist, placing her palm on my heart as I asserted intensely, "Pura ka pura toot jaoonga agar tum uske paas chali gayi toh. Phir sambhal nahin paaonga main, Heer. Maut azmaati hai mujhe bas uss khayal se."
(I will break entirely if you go to him. I won't be able to put myself back together again, Heer. Death embraces me at the mere idea.)

Her wet eyes softened, "Aur tumhe phir bhi lagta hai ke main jaoongi uske paas?"
(And yet you think I will go to him?)

"Nahin. Tumne zubaan di thi mujhe. Aur mujhe tum pe aitebaar hai. I don't doubt you for a second. I just can't bear hearing you talk about him. Let alone in support of him. Being entirely truthful, it makes me f*cking jealous hearing your concern for him."
(No. You gave me your word. And I trust you...)

"There's no reason for you to be. The only reason I want him to reconcile with Bilquis Chachi is so he can move on like we have. Maybe he will stop dwelling on the past and move forward like us if he learns about what really happened in his family." Her hand moved up to cup my cheek, "There is no reason for you to be jealous... Main sirf tumhari hoon, Salaar. Puri tarah se main tumhari hoon."
(I'm only yours, Salaar. I'm completely yours.)

I searched her eyes as she expressed her feelings.

"Mere dil mein, mere dimaag mein, sirf tum hi ho. Meri har saans mein, meri har dhadkan mein. Din, raat, zehen mein ek hi naam rehta hai aur woh hai 'Salaar.' Mere haar bure, achche waqt mein tum the mere saath. Mujhe sambhala, sahara diya. Mujhe phir se hasna sikhaya, phir se jeena sikhaya. Aur main hamesha tumhare paas rehna chahti hoon, har situation mein," her thumb stroked my cheekbone with an emotional smile, "Jaan se badkar ho tum. Mera shohar, mera sab kuch ho tum. Pyaar karti hoon main tumse, Salaar. I love you."
(In my heart, in my mind, it's only you. In my every breath, in every heartbeat. Day, night, there's only one name that stays in my mind, and it's 'Salaar.' In my good and bad times, you were there for me. You took care of me, gave me support. You taught me to laugh again, you taught me to live again. And I want to be with you in every situation. You are more than my life. My husband, my everything, it's you. I love you, Salaar.)

🦋🦋🦋🦋🦋🦋🦋🦋🦋🦋🦋🦋🦋🦋🦋🦋🦋🦋🦋

Author's Note

Sorry for the mini-heart attack by ending the last chapter with Heer's nightmare... but woooo! Finally Heer ne kiya pyaar ka izhaar (confessed her love)! 🥳

The end of this chapter turned out totally different than I imagined, but what was supposed to happen will still happen in the next chapter iA. I hope you will find it to be a good one!

Please let me know your thoughts on this chapter in the comments! 💭 Also, thoughts on Kamran visiting Imran Qureshi to try and find his mum?

Lots of love! 💞

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

22.6K 834 56
Makhfi: Adjective. hidden, secret, concealed 6 lives on a journey for success, will they succeed in their goal or not. /The story revolves around 2...
134K 8.2K 31
"Some things are just never meant to be. No matter how much we wish they were" Mushk Ali is no damsel in distress neither she wants to be one. She kn...
376K 22.3K 47
❝I Don't Know What This Is But, Kuch To Hai Tere Mere Darmiyan.❞ ⁠♡♡ ⁠♡♡ ♡ᴛᴇʀᴇ ᴍᴇʀᴇ ᴅᴀʀᴍɪʏᴀɴ♡ ...
165K 14.1K 34
Love,a magnamous four lettered word that can provoke joy, happiness yet it has the the power to incite destruction and chaos. Why is it always linked...