The Legend of Zelda- Ocarina...

By dragonrand100

"This is the tale of an ancient land of lush forests and verdant meadows. A land blessed by the Goddesses whe... More

Prologue
The Boy Without a Fairy
The Curse
Gohma's Lair
Farewells
Hyrule Field
Twilight
A Thief in the Night
Journey to Hyrule Castle
Zelda's Lullaby
The Dancing Goron
Dodongo's Cavern
Sworn Brothers
Lost in the Woods
Lord Jabu Jabu
The Portal
Written in Blood
Darkest Hour
Seven Years
Broken Mirror
Minuet of the Forest
The Flow of Time...
Children of the Forest
Nightingale
The Kokiri
Song of Storms
Epona
Into the Fire
Bolero of Fire
Volvagia
Mirror, Mirror
Serenade of Water
Lake Hylia
Darkness Within
Tainted Waters
Left Behind
Unlikely Allies
Ice and Fire
Into the Desert
Wounded
Requiem of Spirit
The Pheonix
Shadows Rising
A Demon in Kakariko
The Last Sheikah
Lens of Truth
Into Darkness
Nocturne
Illusions
Bongo Bongo
The Raven
Prelude of Light
Before the Storm
The Queen's Banner
Into the Breach
Time's End
The Demon King
A Demon's Wrath
Hero of Time
Epilogue
Acknowledgements

Death Mountain

1K 41 21
By dragonrand100

Chapter 11
Death Mountain

Link's first impressions of Death Mountain were of a barren and lifeless wilderness, its scorched slopes of jagged stone far removed from the vibrant hills of Hyrule Field and the leafy bowers of his home. The only vegetation that grew here were small, stunted weeds struggling through cracks in the brown and grey earth. A rugged track cut across the desolate mountainside, marking the way to the Goron village and the realms beyond Hyrule's eastern border.

Ruins dotted the hillside like tombstones. The broken and cracked fragments of a wall suggested there had once been a settlement on the mountainside, but little remained of the village or its occupants. Had it been destroyed in some great disaster? To Link's disappointment, Navi wouldn't give him an answer.

The boy and his fairy walked beyond the shattered stones and up the lifeless hills. Soon, the only signs of anything ever inhabiting the rugged slopes were the scattered bones of goats and other animals.

It really is Death Mountain, Link had thought. It was as if they were wandering the remnants of a world struck down by a terrible curse, its mark forever staining the ravaged realm.

Link's journey had begun early that morning. Leaving Kakariko Village, he and Navi encountered several wagons abandoned at the mountain's foot, their drivers and cargo nowhere to be seen. The guard, clearly wary of the Sheikah, had reluctantly let them pass after recognising Link's ring and hearing Navi's explanation about their mission.

"I'm not getting my nose in any Sheikah's business, but be careful," he warned, his face obscured by his helm. "Death Mountain isn't a place for kids, and the locals aren't in a good mood. The last Goron to come through said the road was closed to all but messengers."

"Our mistress sent us to see Darunia. She won't tolerate any delays, and her reasons are her own," Navi explained.

"If you say so," the guard replied, sounding slightly sceptical. He looked eager to press the issue and find out what they were really doing, but after hearing Link's story of being in the service of a Sheikah family and seeing the ring, he let the matter pass.

And so their arduous trek began. Link felt the bitter wind whip around him, his dark red cloak providing little protection. He clutched Saria's bag, a constant reminder of the home he had left behind. The bag was surprisingly light despite its contents, and like his ocarina, it was a reminder of Saria. Now, more than ever, he felt the ache of her absence. Malon and Talon had tried their best to fill the void, but it remained a constant reminder of what he had lost.

The relentless sun beat down on him as the day dragged on, sucking the moisture from the air and leaving Link parched. He rationed his water carefully, knowing they had a long way to go.

The path seemed endless, winding its way up the mountain in a dizzying zigzag before straightening out and curving around the rocky flank. Reaching the top of a switchback, Link paused, his breath catching in his throat. Below him, the path they had traversed stretched out like a serpent slithering through the barren landscape. Southward, he could see the shimmering green canopy of the Lost Woods, the Zora River like a silver ribbon threading through its heart and as he did, Link was overcome by a pang of melancholy.

He stared back at the distant woods for some time, thinking of Saria and his promise to return. Was she still waiting for him, even after all this time?

"You can go back soon," Navi said, sensing his mood. "We just have to get the Spiritual Stones and give them to Impa and Zelda."

"Do you wonder what Saria and the others are doing now? After what happened..." Link asked quietly, his voice trailing off as his mind wandered towards the painful memory of his departure. 

Navi hesitated, her luminescence dimming slightly. "The Kokiri Elders will have worked it out, I'm sure. It won't do any good worrying about it."

"I bet Mido's convinced them to blame me," Link sulked, recalling the anger and fear in the eyes of those he had grown up with. "He was always blaming me for something."

He heard Navi's quiet sigh. "Link," she said softly, "most of the Kokiri know there was no way you could have harmed the Great Deku Tree or would have."

"Except I ran away." Link's face fell, his gaze drifting towards his dust-smeared boots. "Mido will have convinced them it was my fault..."

Navi's face was etched with concern. "You did nothing wrong." This prompted no reply, so Navi persisted, "There was nothing you could do. You didn't curse the Great Deku Tree. Ganondorf did."

"I know," Link murmured without conviction.

"We can still make this right, Link," Navi said, her voice determined. "Let's just focus on getting the stones before anything else happens. Deal?"

Link nodded, mustering his resolve. "Deal."

"Good," Navi sounded relieved. "Come on, we should keep moving."

Swallowing his doubts and fears as best he could, Link held his head high and trudged on along the arid track. Navi was right. There was no point worrying about Mido. With that, he straightened his shoulders and kept going.

They soon reached a fork in the road, and one track led up to a flat shelf where the mountainside had been cut away. The second track meandered further along the mountain, beyond the shelf, and out of sight. They took the first track, and soon, Link noticed fewer wagon ruts than before.

"Navi, are you sure this is the right way?" he asked, dreading the thought that they were lost. "Is this where you came last night?" 

"Yes. The Great Fairy of Death Mountain lives this way, beyond the Goron settlement," she affirmed. "Don't worry, we're on the right track."

"I've never met a Great Fairy." Link knew of one that lived in the forest, though he couldn't recall her name. She was said to be very reclusive, and it was not unusual for her to go unseen for months or even years at a time.

"They aren't very common," Navi said, sounding pleased that she'd distracted him from their earlier conversation. "Perhaps we can visit Elisia once we're finished with the Gorons."

"I'd like that," Link said, and then suddenly, a question sprang to mind. "Is what Brynn told me true... that they don't wear anything?"

"What?" Navi nearly came to a halt, losing altitude as she did so. "No, of course not." There was a hint of laughter in her voice as she added, "I think he was just pulling your leg."

"Brynn's always making stuff up," Link admitted. "I didn't really believe him..." he paused, noticing something. "What's that noise?"

They had just rounded one last bend in the road when Link heard a sound like someone chipping away at a rock.

"Possibly Gorons," Navi suggested.

As he reached the shelf, the noise grew louder. He could hear voices ahead, deep and rumbling, unlike any creature he'd heard before. Link soon discovered the source. On one side of the ledge, three Gorons were picking away at a boulder the size of a house, the shafts of their pickaxes resembling long, thick logs. One of the Gorons peered over at Link as he approached. It tapped its nearest companion on the shoulder and pointed towards the Kokiri. The Goron's brethren looked over, lowering their pickaxes. The subtle differences in the colouration and pattern of their rock-like scales were the only way Link could tell them apart, and even then, it was confusing.

"Look, brothers! If it isn't a forest child," announced the Goron who'd first noticed Link. "Must mean good luck."

"He can't be a forest child. They can't leave the woods," the second Goron countered, not as enthused by the sight as his friend.

"Either way," intervened the third Goron, "Death Mountain is no place for a child. There is a dragon here that eats children for its supper."

"He's lying," Navi whispered before Link could ponder on this.

"I'm not scared of dragons," he declared, sounding far more confident than he felt. The sight of the Gorons was more worrying to him than the talk of dragons.

"Hah!" the second Goron laughed. "Have you ever seen a fully grown dragon, kid? Their teeth alone are bigger than you are!"

Link knew this Goron was trying to intimidate him, and he only glowered at the comment.

"Don't scare him, Onyx!" the Goron who'd spoken first rebuked his companion before turning to Link.  "My name is Jasper." He offered something of a small bow, his tone becoming confused. "What are you doing here? This is no place for a forest child."

"We're looking for Darunia to ask about the Spiritual Stone of Fire," Link answered. He saw Navi's dismay and realised this might have been too much information to share.

A moment later, his suspicion turned to fear. At the mention of the spiritual stone, Onyx's expression grew dark, and Link took a step back, all too aware of the steep drop behind him. There were no stairs to thwart his fall this time.

"First a Gerudo, now this?" Onyx rumbled. "Go home, whelp! We have no business with your kind."

Jasper looked appalled. "That is no way to treat a guest, Onyx."

Shaking his head, Jasper offered Link an apologetic look. "Don't mind him. If you want to speak to Darunia, go ahead. You will find him within his chambers in our city." Jasper pointed to the path that veered off to his left and around a bend.

Another switchback, Link thought. He was really beginning to dislike them.

"I doubt he will give you an audience. He hasn't left his room all day," Jasper added. "You're welcome to try. Perhaps you will have more luck at speaking to him than I or the Elders did."

Onyx snorted disdainfully. "I doubt that."

"Is Darunia sick?" Link asked. The thought of some terrible curse and being turned around sent Link's heart hammering in his chest. He didn't want to be sent all the way back to Kakariko. Not after all that climbing. 

e"Sick?" Jasper sounded incredulous. "No. Not really." The Goron jabbed his thumb at the large boulder behind him. "Things have not been going well here. A few days ago, a Gerudo man came and sealed this cavern after Darunia refused to give him the Goron Ruby. With all access to the mines blocked, our trade will suffer. It is the only reason the Hylian lords have permitted us to mine on their lands."

"We should have this cleared soon," commented the third Goron. "I just hope that Gerudo man wasn't serious when he said he would set the Dodongos on us if we got into the cavern."

"Darunia did not seem to think it was a jest," Jasper said grimly.

Onyx shrugged. "Well, there's only one way to find out."

Jasper shook his head. "We should keep working. I don't feel like getting a headbutt from Darunia again."

Link's stomach lurched. "What?" he stammered. "What do you mean by 'headbutt'?"

Jasper chuckled. "It was a mere disagreement. We found a carving near the temple that was to be gifted to King Nohansen, but there was an accident."

"Accident?" Ilem exclaimed with a snort. "You sat on it!"

"We'll keep that in mind," Navi chimed, gesturing for Link to get a move on. "Thanks for the help."

Onyx snorted disdainfully. "The Hylian King is soft. He's probably scared of Darunia. Hylian, Zora, all soft. Not like us Gorons." He looked down at Link, who returned his gaze with unwavering defiance. "You plan on watching us?"

Navi settled onto the boy's shoulder. "C'mon," she hissed. "Hurry up and move."

Heeding her words, Link left the trio of Gorons to their work.

Heeding her words, Link left the trio of Gorons to their work. As he trudged along the path, the steady chink of their pickaxes resumed behind him. He turned to Navi, curiosity piqued. "Why do you reckon they were using picks? Gorons eat rocks, right? So... couldn't they eat their way through the boulder?"

Navi smiled faintly. "Maybe it doesn't taste nice. Or, perhaps, not all rocks are good for them."

"How does that work?" Link asked, befuddled.

Navi shrugged. "You'd have to ask a Goron."

The path forked again, and yet another switchback led up towards the mountain's summit. Thankfully for Link, a second, less rough trail turned around a bend, a sign carved into the rock indicating the way forward. Glyphs were carved into the rocks at regular intervals now, and statues of towering Gorons, some in a wrestler's stance, stood with spears pointing skyward, marking the city's border. 

I must be getting close, Link thought, hopefully. His feet were really sore. 

The path led to a rock shelf that appeared to have been carved out of the mountainside by giants. A balustrade fashioned to resemble a dragon's smooth scales ran along the ledge, forming a kind of balcony that offered a wide view of the Goron Mountains and their snowcapped peaks. Turning from the ledge, unable to help but feel giddy at the steep drop beyond the railing, which was taller than he was, Link approached a rocky archway. He noted there were more engravings on the rocks here and that to the left of the archway, the path turned around a corner that was lined with more statues, some resembling armoured knights. 

Finally, some shade, Link sighed with relief, thinking the archway might lead to a cave where he could sit. He wanted a moment to rest and catch his breath. He was also hungry, his stomach grumbling incessantly at the thought of food. 

Passing beneath the arch and seeing that it led to a cave, Link stepped around some boulders that obscured his view of the way ahead.

As it turned out, the cave was already occupied, and the sight that Link beheld nearly sent him running back down the mountainside, all thoughts of the Spiritual Stone of Fire briefly forgotten. 

Curled up within the shelter of the cavern was a long serpentine creature with fiery ruby red scales, its two black leathery bat-like wings tucked tightly against its body.

A dragon!

The dragon was so large it could have used Link's Kokiri blade as a toothpick. Mercifully, it was asleep, so Link decided to leave it that way. Unfortunately, his luck had run out. As soon as he took one step, the creature's eyes snapped open, taking in the sight of the petite boy.

The gigantic reptile's mind touched Link's own, a sensation that nearly made him jump. The dragon raised its enormous head, sniffing the air as Link backed away in alarm. Curiosity flowed through the bond that formed between them, but there was also a hint of wariness that sent Link's heart pounding with fear.

At least it's not hungry, he thought meekly. Well, he hoped it wasn't.

"That," Navi said quietly, "Is a dragon."

"It has been some time since a Hylian has entered this realm," the dragon's voice boomed in Link's mind. "I do not think I have seen such a tiny, pink-skinned Hylian make it all the way here and alone at that."

There was a question in that tone.

"I- I'm not Hylian," Link stammered, his voice pitched with fear. "I'm Kokiri."

"The difference matters not, so long as you are not a Gerudo," the dragon replied. "What brings one so young up here?"

"I'm looking for Darunia."

"Darunia? Hmm... what would Darunia want with you?"

"I'm after the Spiritual Stone of Fire."

The dragon's eyes narrowed at the mention of the stone, and the beast's throat rumbled with a threatening growl. Link gulped. He really needed to be more careful when choosing his words.

"You are not the first to come seeking this ruby," the dragon said, inclining its head and moving towards Link so that its nostrils were mere inches from his face. It sniffed again, and Navi had to fly away to avoid being inhaled.

"You don't smell like one of Ganondorf's minions. You smell of earth and trees. Tell me, child, why are you after this stone? You have another Spiritual Stone on you, one emanating earth magic. I can sense it."

"I was told to give them to Princess Zelda," Link replied hurriedly, his voice growing even squeakier than normal.

The dragon's nostrils flared, and it gave a loud grunt.

"Why would the King give a small, pink-skinned boy this task? As it is, his daughter is no older than ten, yes? Hardly an age to be deciding the fate of an entire realm." There was clear suspicion in the dragon's tone.

Link's heart beat faster and every instinct told him to run. He knew the wrong answer would likely be dangerous. He cast a quick glance at Navi, who looked worried as well. His mouth went dry, and Link was finding it hard to swallow, let alone give an answer.

"The king did not task us with this errand. Lady Impa sent us," Navi explained, and Link held up his hand so the dragon could see the Sheikah ring. "King Nohansen is not well, and his council is under an evil spell. Ganondorf is controlling them."

"I see." The dragon did not sound convinced. "What does the Sheikah plan to do with these stones? If they fell into the wrong hands, they could bring misery to Hyrule and all the Ten Kingdoms."

"That's why Impa sent us!" Navi shouted at the top of her lungs, making Link flinch. "We will make sure that doesn't happen!"

"What of the ones whose ancestors crafted the stones?" the dragon asked. "What is their say in this?"

Link looked at Navi with a blank and worried expression. He'd never considered that question and certainly didn't know the answer.

"Who?" he asked, before realizing that it was probably a stupid question. "Do you mean the Sheikah?"

"Not the Sheikah," the dragon sounded annoyed. "Perhaps I presume too much. I am certain that Darunia will discern the truth of your words, and if not, it was nice meeting you."

The dragon's eyes flickered between the boy and his fairy, the silence seeming to last for an eternity.

"Go and let me rest. Perhaps Darunia will talk to you," the dragon said finally. "You never gave me your name, little one?"

"L-Link," Link stammered, feeling dizzy and almost as weak as he had when he faced the Gohma Queen.

"Well met then, Link. I am Volvagia. So long as your intentions aren't treacherous, you are welcome here. If you can convince Darunia that the royal family sent you, maybe he will grant you an audience, but I would not count on it. Perhaps if you know a tune that can cheer him up, that may work, but do not try asking one of the Gorons to sing; it gives me a headache when they try."

"I'll keep that in mind," Link said.

Volvagia replied with a soft growl before curling back up and folding his wings.

Eager to leave the dragon to its rest, Link trudged along the path until he reached the entrance of a cavern. Two Gorons guarding the wide fissure cast him inquisitive glances. When Link showed them his ring, they granted him entry without more than a grunt of acknowledgement.

Hopefully, they're all that easy to convince, he thought, doubting that his luck would hold.

As he stepped into the cave, his eyes took a moment to adjust to the dim glow of firelight dancing off the rough rock walls. At first, he wasn't sure what he was seeing. The cave opened up into a chamber so vast that the Gorons on the far side looked like mere specks.

Just before him, the cave floor disappeared into what he first thought was a pit. Upon closer inspection, he realised it was a series of tiered ledges cut into the rock, with Gorons bustling along each level, going about their daily errands. An enormous urn, its surface decorated with an elaborate scene of Gorons trading at a market, stood proudly at the centre of this pit, rising high above the lowest tiers. Link could see tunnels branching out from this central chamber, leading deeper into the mountain city.

How are we ever going to find Darunia in this labyrinth? Link wondered to himself.

Heart pounding in his chest, he approached a nearby guard.

It can't be as bad as asking a dragon for directions, he thought, forcing down his fear.

"Uhh... excuse me, sir, can you tell me where Darunia's chambers are?" Link inquired, stammering slightly. It was difficult not to feel intimidated when the Goron's spear was the size of a small tree, and his nerves were still recovering from meeting Volvagia. The mountain dweller's suit of armour- presumably ceremonial- added to his imposing appearance. 

To his immense relief, the guard obliged and gestured to one of the tunnels.

"Tunnel on the far side. Turn right. Stairs. Left. Down more stairs... next tunnel... stairs..."

It was a good thing Navi was with him; by the time the guards' lengthy directions were over, Link was struggling to understand them.

With Navi taking the lead, Link navigated a labyrinth of tunnels and stairs, receiving curious glances from the Gorons, especially those who noticed his Goron-steel blade. Eventually, they reached the lowest terrace and came to a tunnel guarded by two Gorons. They stood like statues on either side of the entrance, crossing their spears as Link approached. They looked down at him with curious expressions, their tall, imposing frames almost enough to send Link's confidence faltering.

He could do this. He just had to tell them who he was. Easy as that. 

"Sorry, kid," one of them spoke up. "Orders are orders. Elders only."

"I'm looking for Darunia, leader of the Goro Clan," Link piped up, wishing his voice didn't sound so squeaky. "I was told he was here... I bring a message from Lady Impa, advisor to King Nohansen."

He stumbled through the rehearsed words, sure he would sound more impressive if he were a few inches taller.

The guard on the right chuckled, but a sharp glare from his companion silenced him.

"Outsiders aren't allowed," the guard announced, unimpressed by Link's speech.

"Lady Impa, advisor to King Nohansen, sent word we were coming," Navi repeated, stepping in before Link could respond.

"The Sheikah?" the guard cast a dubious look at Link. "Hmm... Everyone knows of her. She is the Hero of Kakariko and the Free Sheikah clans. So, did you hear about her at an inn? From a minstrel's tale, perhaps?"

Neither guard seemed convinced, and Link swallowed a nervous gulp, worried they would throw him out.

"What truly brings you here, boy?" the first Goron asked. "You some merchant's kid? Did you want to see our grand treasures for yourself?"

"If he's a merchant's kid, then those guards aren't doing their job," the second grumbled. "Tell your parents the market's closed."

Navi made a frantic noise beside his ear and whispered, "Try playing the song Impa taught you."

"Impa said she would give you a song to identify us by," Link added, taking out his ocarina and showing it to the guards.

The guards stared at the instrument for a moment, then glanced at his ring, then back at the ocarina again.

"Hmm... Well, that is what Impa said. Alright, can you play it?" the first guard said. "I'm sure Darunia will determine whether you're a messenger soon enough."

His tone left no doubt that he expected the boy to falter.

Holding the delicate instrument, Link played the peaceful melody of Zelda's Lullaby. To his relief, he played it flawlessly.

"That's the one," the guard conceded, though his suspicion remained. "Darunia will be the judge of it all. Go on through the tunnel, and for your sake, I hope you are who you claim to be."

"Darunia's been in a foul mood since that Gerudo man came," the other guard warned. "I would rather not have to scrape bits of you off the wall."

Link did not find those words at all comforting.

The short tunnel led Link to a smaller but equally impressive chamber. Murals adorned the walls, long stone tables stretched across the room, and a single, elaborately carved chair sat in the centre. But what truly held Link's attention was its sole occupant.

Darunia stood in the centre, a towering figure twice the height of his brethren. His limbs were thick as tree trunks, rippling with muscle, and a long, jagged beard of stone protruded from his chin. Golden bracelets adorned his arms and legs, glinting in the torchlight. Diamond-shaped tattoos with three triangles above them proudly displayed his clan on his arms.

Darunia's grumbling ceased as he watched the boy approach with a scowl, his black eyes narrowed.

"Umm... Darunia, sir?" Link said meekly, leaving plenty of room just in case the Goron mistook him for a pesky critter. He noticed Navi keeping a respectful distance, likely for the same reason.

"Do my guards now allow anyone to waltz into my chambers?" Darunia growled. "I have no time for games."

"I am a messenger from the Royal Family," Link announced, holding his ground. "I bring word from Lady Impa, advisor to King Nohansen."

Darunia's scowl deepened. "Have I fallen so low in the king's eyes that he sends a mere child as his envoy?"

"Impa said you would be expecting us," Navi chimed in.

"I was expecting someone taller," Darunia grumbled. "Much taller. If you are truly a messenger, tell Lady Impa she isn't getting the stone!"

Not deterred by Darunia's hostility, at least not yet, Link stood his ground, meeting the Goron's glare. He'd have to think of something fast. Darunia's eyes rose in surprise when Link did not flinch or move.

"I mean it, boy! Take your large firefly and get out!" Darunia shouted, his voice reverberating throughout the chamber. Navi looked rather cross at being called a large firefly but didn't say anything.

"But-"

"I will not give up the stone! If Impa wants it so badly, let her come and deal with this Ganondorf mess herself! Better yet, she can explain why he walks free!"

Darunia turned his back on Link, his eyes falling on a stone bench behind him. There, a polished hammer lay, its runes glowing faintly. Link paled, unable to stop the flutter of panic that rose in his chest. That was no carpenter's tool. It's head alone was nearly as big as he was!  

The Goron Chieftan grasped the handle with both hands. Link instinctively braced himself for the worst and prepared to run. 

"I should have killed that Gerudo on sight," Darunia muttered, his voice gravelly with rage. "He is nothing but trouble." He didn't lift the hammer, but Link felt no relief, not even when the Goron turned to face him again. "I cannot risk the stone falling into his hands. Do you have any idea what would happen if he got it? Things would become far worse for all the Ten Kingdoms." His voice dropped again to an angry growl as he shook his head. "Din, why am I even explaining this to a child? I've already had the Elders telling me to give the stone to Ganondorf and be done with the matter, and now you think I should just hand it to you? It is not a toy for children."

"Ganondorf has already killed the guardian of one of the other Spiritual Stones," Navi said quickly. "We can help you if you give us the stone. We already have the Emerald."

Darunia's face flickered with shock, then hardened once more. "For all I know, this is some trick. I will not give you the stone! Now leave before I throw you out!"

"But..." Link sputtered, reluctant to give up so easily. He reached a hand for the emerald in his bag.

"GO!" Darunia roared.

Forgetting any thought of the Emerald, not even sure that Darunia would believe it was real, not before squashing him, Link was about to do exactly that when he thought of something.

"It may help if you know a tune that can cheer him up."

As he had experienced with Epona, the earth magic in his ocarina amplified the influence of his music, but he didn't know if it would work on a Goron. Would it? If he left now, he would have come for nothing and be forced to return to Impa empty-handed.

Unwilling to give up, yet wary of the consequences, Link took out his precious instrument.

"Perhaps I did not make myself clear," Darunia growled as Link put the ocarina to his mouth. "I said leave. So unless you want me to feed you to-"

A strange calm washed over Darunia as Link began to play. Link felt it, too, a strange power resonating from the ocarina. It was like the power of the Emerald, only magnified, and it reminded him of the peace he once felt when touching the Great Deku Tree.

"What are you doing?" Darunia barked, bringing a hand to his head. His brow furrowed in confusion, his expression softening, if such a thing could even be said of something with the hide of a boulder. Moments later, Darunia's furious demeanour melted away. He began to bob his head to the rhythm, tapping his feet along to the beat.

Link stepped away, worried that he would be trodden on. Stifling a growing urge to sneeze, he slowly lowered the ocarina, mouth agape, eyes wide in astonishment.

It worked!

Darunia finally stopped, his heavy breathing the only indication of the storm that had just passed. Confusion clouded his face, mirroring Link's own bewilderment.

"That song...I don't know what came over me," he rumbled. "When you played, I saw a forest in my mind, so real I could almost feel the wind, smell the leaves...Ah, I've been trapped in these caves too long." His gaze fell upon the ocarina in Link's hand, curiosity replacing the earlier anger. "You're from the forest, aren't you? I knew the Kokiri possessed magic but never imagined such instruments. Well, I'm almost convinced you're not a minion of Ganondorf; they possess none of your arts. What is your name, kid?"

"Link." Link said, his voice unnaturally high as he tried to overcome his surprise.

"Well, Link, I am Darunia, Chief of the Hyrulean Gorons."

"It's an honour to meet you, Darunia... sir."

Link couldn't understand why Hylians were so hung up on formalities. Darunia's smile softened as he noticed Link's startled expression.

"Darunia is fine." The Goron's grin faltered slightly. "Sorry if I frightened you before. Things have been difficult since that damned Gerudo King showed up."

"Umm...that's okay," Link replied weakly before a sneeze overwhelmed him, forcing him to double over.

"Pity you caught us at such a bad time," Darunia said softly. "A week ago, the halls of this city would have rung with the sound of blacksmith hammers." Wiping his nose on his tunic, Link tried to appear impressed despite having almost no idea what Darunia was talking about. "We are skilled smiths, but with the lack of food and the mines blocked, most of my clan has moved deeper into the Goron Mountains." Darunia paused, looking down at Link thoughtfully. His lips tightened as he rubbed two fingers on his pointy chin. "Impa said she wanted to use the Goron Ruby to stop Ganondorf from getting the Triforce, and you said you have one of the other stones?"

Link retrieved the Emerald at Navi's prompt and held it out for Darunia to inspect. 

Darunia looked thoughtful as he inspected the gem and then nodded, gesturing for Link to put it away.

"Hmm... so, it is the real stone then. I sure hope that Sheikah knows what she's doing," Darunia said, still looking lost in thought. "How did you come by this?"

"It was given to me," Link replied. With Navi's help, he gave a brief account of the Great Deku Tree's final words.

Darunia pondered this, glancing away at the table. "This is troubling. Tell you what, I'll give you the stone."

Link's heart soared with relief.

Darunia held a hand up, halting any response. "Just one thing..." 

Link's heart promptly sank back down.

"I want to know I can trust you with the stone, and I'm sure Impa would not have just sent the first kid she came across-" Darunia paused mid-sentence.

Thump

Thump

Thump

Thunderous footsteps shook the cavern as two of the Gorons Link had met earlier burst into the cave. Link darted out of the way as they came to stand before their chieftain.

"Jasper? Onyx? What are you two doing?" Darunia asked when the Gorons came to a stop where Link had been standing.

"It's the cavern. When we removed the last of the boulder, a giant Dodongo attacked us," Jasper said.

Link found it surprising that the Goron looked so terrified. What kind of creature was this giant Dodongo to instil such fear in a Goron?

"Where is Ilem?" Darunia demanded. "He was with you, wasn't he?"

"The dodongo killed him-"

Link could not believe what he was hearing, feeling as horrified as Jasper and Onyx looked. He did not think any creatures on Death Mountain could harm a Goron, except maybe Volvagia.

Darunia also appeared taken aback. His mouth fell open before he promptly frowned. "How?"

"It was enormous- at least twice as big as you, Darunia!" Jasper exclaimed. It only retreated because Volvagia attacked it.

"How could it possibly be that big?" Darunia breathed in bewilderment.

"Umm.... if I may... we saw something similar in the Kokiri Forest," Navi squeaked. Jasper and Onyx looked around momentarily before spotting the speaker above Link's head. "It was an insect- we think- not native to these parts, bewitched by a curse so that it grew to an enormous size."

"Ganondorf," Darunia growled softly. The room went silent. Then, with a roar, Darunia turned and punched the wall beside him.

Wow, definitely a good thing Darunia didn't object to my earlier performance, Link thought as he stood transfixed at the sight of the small crater Darunia made. It was several feet in diameter, with cracks spreading out along the wall like spiderwebs.

Darunia's breath sounded like a forge bellows, his chest heaving against the strain of barely checked rage. "Gather by the ledge overlooking Dodongo's Cavern! Take ten of our best warriors with you!"  He continued with a primal growl, fists clenched tight enough to turn rocks to powder. "Ganondorf will rue the day he brought this curse on us. I'll find him and grind his head into the ground... what are you two waiting for? Go!"

Jasper and Onyx left. Swallowing, Link was in half a mind to follow them, not wanting to stick around to see if Darunia would accidentally splatter him in a rage.

Before the boy could act on this thought or ask Navi for guidance, Darunia exhaled loudly. Relaxing his shoulders, he offered Link a smile.

"I have a proposition for you," Darunia announced. You may carry the Emerald and Lady Impa's trust, but I want to make sure I'm not just giving the stone to any ordinary messenger and that it will be safe in your care. There is a risk, but now I see something different about you."

Link's fear was growing steadily, his stomach twisting in a knot of fear as he wondered where this was going. "What kind of risk?"

"I need help clearing Dodongo's Cavern," Darunia explained, a grim determination in his eyes. "But instead of all of us going into the cavern, which might prompt Ganondorf to act, I propose a better approach. We raid a Dodongo nest, draw them out into the open, and deal with them there." He paused, considering something. "That... What did you call it? A Gohma queen? You mentioned you encountered her. Tell me, how did you defeat such a monster?"

He sounded more curious than sceptical, and although his gaze lingered on Link, Navi took charge. Link was relieved because he didn't want to explain what had transpired when he defeated the Gohma queen. Despite his silence, Darunia looked impressed as Navi gave a brief and truncated version of that encounter. "You have the heart of a warrior to take on such a foe," he said, beaming at Link before regarding Navi. "So, if we defeat the cursed Dodongo, that should break whatever hold Ganondorf has on the rest of them?"

"I don't know for certain," Navi said.

"Hmm... then we will have to find out. If you're correct, then our task will be far less messy."

Darunia pointed to a chest beside the bench where the hammer lay, which he opened for Link to inspect. "Inside are Goron Bombs. They're powerful explosives, capable of slaying even Dodongos."

Curious, Link picked one of the small round spheres up, but just as he did, Navi shrieked.  "Put that down! They'll kill you!"

Link flinched, dropping the bomb like it was a hot coal. "What do they do?" he asked, bewildered.

"They explode," Navi replied, her voice tight with fear. "Have you ever seen lightning strike a tree, and it explodes? Imagine that, but a hundred times worse."

Finally understanding the gravity of the situation, Link took a step back from the chest.

Darunia chuckled. "Calm down, little fairy. They only explode if you know the proper incantation or if they're exposed to extreme heat. These are the small ones, and they're reliable, unlike our explosive arrows... a bit of work to go on those."

Link was hardly comforted by these words. It seemed outright dangerous to have something so dangerous inside, almost like having a campfire inside a treehouse. Of course, Link had never actually done that, but something unfamiliar caught his attention as he pondered Darunia's words.

"What's an incantation?" he asked, hoping the question would mask his fear.

Darunia chuckled again. "Best I show you outside. But for now," he gestured towards the chest, "take some. You'll need them against the Dodongos. You can always use your fists, but that might be...inadvisable."

Link hesitated. "I have a sword," he offered, noticing Navi's growing concern.

Darunia's smile faded. "A sword won't do much against a Dodongo's hide," he said matter-of-factly.

Link's fear intensified. "But...what about you?"

Darunia hefted his massive hammer. "I have my own way of dealing with them. So, are you ready to show Ganondorf what happens when he messes with a Goron?"

Link's voice barely registered above a squeak. "Uh...yeah."

"Ha! That's the spirit!" Darunia boomed. Then his voice turned serious. "And if Ganondorf slew the Great Deku Tree, we will pay him for that too."

"Have you met Great Father?" Link asked, surprised.

"The Great Deku Tree? No, but I knew of him," Darunia answered somberly. "Come, we must be on our way. The others will be waiting."

A single question echoed in Link's mind as he followed Darunia back into the tunnel: What have I just gotten myself into?

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

668 2 43
Treated as an outcast amongst the mysterious Kokiri children, Link was always different from the others. It wasn't until the Great Deku Tree finally...
4K 235 34
Tears of a Broken Kingdom ~ {After OoT/MM} now C O M P L E T E ~~ Ganondorf has been executed but trouble is beginning to brew in the land of Hyru...
67 12 12
Hyrule has been at peace since the Hero of Time defeated Ganon and closed The Sacred Realm. But All That Can Change In An Instant Ganon has planted...
246 4 5
It had happened faster than he could fight back. The Imperial Knight of Hyrule, sworn as Princess Zelda's sole protector, had failed to save her. Now...