Puppets and Puppeteers

By axlcgomes

In the world of nobility, daily life is ruled by power struggles. In this setting, even marriage is just a wa... More

Chapter I - Proposals
Chapter II - Contract Marriage
Chapter III - Planning Ahead
Chapter IV - Theory and Practice
Chapter V - Perceptions
Chapter VI - Bed Talk
Bonus: Royal (Scevola) Family Tree
Chapter VII - Family Business
Bonus: Noble Houses of Glæma
Chapter IX - Business
Chapter X - Past, present and future

Chapter VIII - Hidden Feelings

8 1 0
By axlcgomes

My reunion with my sister was exhausting but illuminating. Firstly, Cerys was far from the little girl I knew, who hid her feelings and stayed away from everyone. Now, she was much more expressive and open about her thoughts. Away from the Conwenna residency, she was able to flourish. I was proud of her. However, something kept me from telling her those things.

"I can't believe I spoke to him like that, I felt my hands trembling and was worried he could feel it too! I thought I'd faint at any moment", Ewan told me as he finished changing clothes. He was nervous and thought he couldn't lead the conversation with Marquis Laukkanen. It had been a long time since he acted as a negotiator and the last years were a blow to his confidence.

"Why do you say that? I'm sure you were amazing".

"You were not there".

"I didn't have to. I just know".

He laughed and sat on the bed next to me.

"More important, how things went on your side?"

I didn't know how to answer that. I fulfilled the objective, and at the same time I didn't. After a long silence, he spoke up.

"Don't worry, they'll be here for some more weeks. Take your time".

"If I really do that, it'll take forever".

"I can't force you to express your feelings, you need to solve it by yourself".

"I know". I hugged him. "But it's still so difficult".

"I can imagine".

When we met earlier, I took Cerys for a walk on the property. I wanted to show her how things were going and what we prepared for them. Ewan and I agreed to act on both fronts to convince them and bring them to our side. Cerys and I were sisters, but we barely saw each other during our childhood. Because she lived in the main house, she was brought up as a proper lady. She was only allowed to learn things like etiquette, embroidery, piano, dance, singing, party planning and child rearing. Only the things that could make a better wife.

In Glæma, the noble ladies customarily have two debuts: the first at sixteen, as an educated lady ready to enter society; the second at twenty-one, as someone seeking marriage. In her first debut, Cerys was considered one of the most beautiful and educated debutantes, with many suitors and marriage proposals. She never made it to her second debut, as she fled at the age of eighteen to marry her lover.

Therefore, all I know about the present version of my sister is second-hand knowledge. According to the information we gathered, she oversees the economic affairs of the Laukkanen House, especially purchases and budget management, and is an active member of the council of families. That means a direct line with all the Northeastern families – Counts Falk and Järvinen, Viscounts Åström and Korhonen, and Barons Hellström and Koskinen. My older sister really grew up to be an awesome person.

The connection she has with the council of families is vital for our plan. Although most of them are low-level nobles, they are important partners and could bring a change to our fortune and relationship in the national and international scenery. Falk are hunters whose techniques are legendary and ancient, with deep knowledge of all the creatures of the winter's land; Järvinen are fisherman that monopolize the selling of magic fishes, that have healing and aphrodisiac qualities; Åström are responsible for the trade routes and the transportation of goods through the Kingdom rivers; Korhonen, a family where all the members are born deaf, but with the strange ability to emit a loud scream that can incapacitate or even kill; Koskinen produce carriages, and all ways of transportation, being the main producer in the kingdom; and lastly the Hellström, the producers of furniture made of petrified tree, and also the called cursed family capable of seeing spirits and talking to the dead.

However, no matter how valuable the commercial and political relationship may be, I still need to talk to her as a sister. Although we were not close, I missed her. She was one of the few supporters, besides my mother, that I had back home. She didn't treat me like an abandoned child, as brother Llywelyn would constantly, and respected me. When I read her good-bye letter, I felt a pain in my chest for not noticing all the sorrow she hid behind her polite face. How she felt trapped in a house without love and a future of hate – hating a life she never wanted, kids she could never love and a husband who could only see her as an object. Although there were three years left before she could be properly introduced as a bride-to-be, father was already carrying on auctions to find her next husband. Cerys ran away not because of love, but because love saved her from the hell, she was living in. Every time I look at her the guilt overcomes me for not helping her before.

The next day, the Amin family joined us for lunch. Aunt Shalhevet and Sybil, who normally eat separately, were also there. The table was full, but the atmosphere was a little strange. Shahen and her family, outside of the social situations, are a loud bunch; however, being around people they didn't know made them cautious. Auntie and Sybil knew Cerys from when she was young but were both expecting me to take the next step. Ewan and Marquis Rikkard were also paying attention to us and expectant about our reconciliation. Even after the introductions, the talk was limited to business details. Ewan convinced the Marquis to make a deal with Shahen about the horse trade; both were satisfied with the deal and even volunteered some of their workers for an internship so they could exchange information about the care and training of horses. They were still waiting to meet with the Moonrise Caravan that will arrive this afternoon, but their expectations were already high about the negotiations.

The desserts had just arrived when one of the maids approached me. She was anxious and got as close as possible not to let anyone hear it.

"Your highness, there is a lady on the hall asking for the prince and princess. She doesn't want to tell us who she is but says that it is urgent and that she needs to talk to both your highnesses at any cost. We only let her in because she vaguely resembles the third princess".

"Take her to the studio downstairs and serve her some tea. If she asks for something to eat, give it to her. Just don't let her leave. We'll be there as soon as the meal is over".

After the other guests left to sleep, I told Ewan about what the maid said, and we went to the studio to meet the girl. When we opened the door, I saw a young lady dressed in commoners' clothes. A cape was folded over the chair; she probably used it to hide her lavish brown hair and silk skin that were incompatible with a common girl.

"Brother Ewan", she exclaimed and saluted him with perfect form when she noticed him.

"Princess Chara, what are you doing here?", he answered. I already suspected, but he confirmed it.

"I request asylum, brother".

"Asylum?"

"Yes", she looked us in our eyes and recounted her story. "After father lost the bet, he sought another way to feed brother Attiko's campaign. He decided to basically sell me to the biggest bidder, like some livestock. He wanted to marry me to some widow of the Metaxas family whose kids are older than me. Since it all started with you, brother, I wish you could take care of this humble sister who seeks refuge from such an unpleasant future".

"What are you talking about? You appear at my house without any warning and demand I take responsibility?" Ewan answered, enraged.

"If you hadn't made that stupid contract, you'd still have married a decent person. I will have to marry a man old enough to be my father and act like a mother to people the same age as I. Do you think that is fair? I wouldn't have run away if it wasn't for my stupid brother".

"You are asking for a favor while calling me stupid? It's not my fault you ran away from home. Father will look for you. As you said, you're his precious livestock. What will he do if he finds you here?"

"It clearly is your fault".

She was ready to throw a tantrum and, somehow, I found it cute seeing the two of them arguing like a real family. I never had the chance to normally argue with my siblings, and now I'm scared of even talking to them. Those two were never close and they even have different mothers. They hurt each other and never had the chance to act like family; still, in her hour of need, she ran to him for help.

"Ewan", I called him, "Let discuss it first".

"What is there to discuss? I'm going to kick her out".

"If you could even kick someone". Princess Chara said.

"Calm down, love", it was still strange to call him like that, but it always catches his attention when I do. "I'll ask Aimi to take her to one of the vacant guest rooms and give her a bath. While she cleans herself and changes into decent clothes, we could talk a little bit".

"I'll listen to you but ask for two guards to stand outside her bedroom. I don't want her going around the house and annoying the other guests".

"Thank you", she said.

After she left, I sat with Ewan. He was still mad that his sister came to the house, but his pouting face was so cute that I couldn't take his rage seriously.

"It's cute to see you mad like that".

"How could you call that cute? How bold of her to come here. She hasn't talked to me in years and decides to come here and demand a place to stay".

"Don't you think we could use her somehow? She was always in the palace while you were serving, she might know things you don't".

"I'd rather not get involved with someone like her. She is a spoiled child with no redeeming qualities. Keeping her here is like raising a snake while waiting for her to bite".

"A snake? Aren't you being too harsh? She is not exactly pleasant, but there is no beast we can't tame, is it? We just need to put her in her place, and we can use her inside knowledge to take down the royal court".

"As if that kid will have anything to tell us".

"We can just wait and see. And if she doesn't, we can just break that childish personality of hers and make good use of whatever there is left".

When I suggested we break her, his eyes widened, and a smirk appeared.

"What are you thinking of?"

"Sybil would love another candidate for her ranks, especially one that is willing to train harder than everyone else so she can stay".

"Hmmm... That isn't a bad idea. I would love to see that spoiled girl with her hands full of calluses. To watch her trying for once in her life would be a good sensation".

"I will call Sybil and Naava. I'm sure they can get her a good job in the house".

Just like this, the princess's situation was solved. Starting today, she will be a new trainee in the mansion, taking care of the house, the fields and the domestic affairs. From dawn to dusk she will receive multiple classes, along with battle training – sword, magic and strategy – and physical activities. I saw Ewan laughing multiple times just thinking about it.

A few hours later, Wa Yuexi and her family arrived. Although she was over forty, she had a young aura that enticed everyone to follow her. Different from the Amin whose wealth goes back generations, Wa Yuexi and Naade Kayode are completely self-made, and all their success is directly related to their knowledge and vast research. Their Caravan was large, but in a mere two hours they completely installed their campsite. After that, Yuexi came to greet me.

"My little puppy! How could you do that and not even invite us?"

"It was all rushed. We didn't have the time".

"Chán juān has been stressing me since she found out. Do you know the scolding she gave me for letting you marry without given you a proper gift?"

Yuexi had three kids: the eldest son, Heibao, who is 16; Chánjuān, the only girl who is 14; and Jiālì, the youngest son, who just turned ten. Because she was the only girl, Chánjuān always felt a little alone, and that her siblings could never fully understand her. Hence, she adopted me as her oldest sister and constantly referred to me as jiejie.

"I'm sorry. I promise that if we have a proper ceremony, you'll all be invited".

"You are already married, no need for a proper ceremony. That is just a waste of money, you could use it for something much more useful, right, Naade?". She winked at her husband who only nodded. I've known them since their caravan was just a dozen people trying to find their place, and I can testify about how many times I heard Naade's voice. I'm no longer fooled by his brute appearance – he is almost 2 m tall, his skin as dark as the night and his muscle could easily break someone's neck. However, he is shy and delicate and prefers flowers and plants to harsh activities.

"Mrs. Wa Yuexi, I'm Ewan Arud Scevola, the third prince of the Kingdom of Glæma and Lady Astrea Shalhevet Conwenna's husband".

"Too formal!", she exclaimed, "I don't need to know your full name, nor do you need to call me by my full name. You can just call me Yuexi. I've known this cute puppy all her life, no need to treat me as a stranger".

"I'll take your words into consideration".

"Gosh... This generation is too uptight. Anyway, we brought gifts!"

She signaled two of her workers who brought golden eggs in velvet red cushions. I didn't need to ask; I was sure those were Aurea fidelis eggs. Ewan looked at them fascinated and as he put it in his lap, he observed them carefully in awe.

"The Gold-faced bird mates for life, and they will find their loved ones no matter what. I thought this was the perfect gift for a newlywed couple. You still need to make a blood contract with them to use it as your carrier bird, but you'll have time until it hatches".

"How long will it take?", Ewan asked, his eyes still on the egg.

"Three to five days. Not too long". Yuexi smiled. Her favorite thing is people who can appreciate her work.

Yuexi went back to the campsite to finish the coordination and separate some materials to bring to the reunion. She asked for a ladies' reunion after lunch, what somehow made me nervous. Shahen is a spirited person, but she can act well in formal situations; Yuexi is a foul-mouth domineering person, who loves heavy drinks and has always a bottle of whisky with her. The first I can control and make her behave herself; the second is a hurricane.

"I just wish for a pacific night!", I exclaimed.

"I don't think that is possible, love". Ewan laughed at me.

"You could give me a little bit of hope. Maybe nothing will happen".

"Do you believe that?". He laughed again.

"No, not at all".

The dinner was tranquil, since Yuexi ate with her caravan. But she arrived a little after dinner with two carts of booze.

"God, let me survive this night", I prayed.

Sybil prepared one of the rooms for us, with enough tables and chairs for everyone. Still, Yuexi was just standing in the middle of the room with a glass of baijiu in her hand. Her escorts were also standing, but mostly keeping a look at the beverage so Yuexi wouldn't drink too much. Her finances manager, Amaliya Lagounov, was drinking high-quality vodka like it was water and wasn't affected at all; her senior beast trainer, Dalia Ionesco, brought some Țuică that she gently offered to the ladies who didn't knew the beverage. Mirai Bandyopadhyay, the caravan senior researcher, was called the alcohol champion for a reason: Toddy, Chhang, Lugdi, Urak, Feni, Apo, Chuak, Mahua. She really loves bringing different alcohols to the party, including her personal concoctions with rare herbs and fruits.

"Puppy, you're finally old enough to drink", Yuexi called me, "What poison do you choose?"

"I'm not drinking", I answered.

"Why? Last time, you were too young, and I let you stay out of the party. Now you're a married woman, you need to drink".

"Sorry, but I can't", I smiled. Yuexi is a heavy weight, so one single dose isn't enough to get her drunk. But she is already letting her feelings flow.

"Why?", she said looking at me, and suddenly realized. "Do you have a bun in the oven? Is that right? We need to celebrate that! Mirai, bring us more booze!"

She didn't even wait for my answer, and soon another cart of alcohol was brought.

"Yueyue, don't you think that is too much? You're on your third glass already", Aunt Shalhevet tried to calm her.

"Arya is right, Xiaoyue, you should tone it down". Shahen tried to convince her.

"We haven't been able to be together in a room for almost a decade; and now my little puppy is married and waiting to have a kid. We need to celebrate!". She exclaimed.

Yuexi, Aunt Shalhevet and Shahen have known each other for over two decades. They would frequently meet in the past, but after the Moonrise Caravan gained preeminence and the Amin Trade Group started to expand, they weren't able to meet all in one place. When they met, Shahen and Aunt Shalhevet always tried to keep Yuexi in check so she wouldn't go all out and do some madness. I was already thinking tonight would be a headache when I heard Cerys screaming.

"She is right!", Cerys screamed after a shot of Țuică. She got close to Yuexi and hugged her. "These women haven't been able to meet in over a decade, that is sad. I understand what it means to be away from the people you have loved for so long".

"And those girls want to shut down my party. Can you believe it?" Yuexi answered.

"They are so mean. Why don't they try to understand us and let us have some fun? We must later go back to work, husband, kids. We deserve one second of being us, don't we?" Cerys exclaimed.

"You're right sister!", Lawita answered to her questioning with a loud shout. "You know how hard it is to raise two daughters while caring for a husband and taking care of all the stock of a big business. Mother, did you need to be this successful? It's great to inherit all that from you, and I'm truly happy. But I never had a single second for myself. And have you seen Kyra? She should be a child, but she acts older than me! Where did my cute baby go?"

"Lawi, let's get you some water", Shahen got closer to her daughter and signalized to one of the maids to bring them a glass.

"Mother, I just drank a little bit of whisky, I'm not drunk. I'm just a tired daughter, and a tired mother".

"Shahen, give her a break. Just let the kid speak. Aren't her words her true feelings? Let them flow before they burst. We are all grown-up ladies, with too much to take care of. It's better to speak up here where people are available to listen". Yuexi argued.

Yuexi is a heavy drinker, but she knows exactly how much she can drink. And she always has her people to take care of her, so she won't lose control. They are also there so they can share the drinks, the sorrows and the happiness.

"Listen kids". Yuexi sat Lawita and Cerys in front of her. "Those old hags have lived a lot and suffered a lot. You must think they were never in your place, but they are here only because they went to similar things and prevailed. Let me tell you a story. Did you know that in the Fire Continent, many people believe in conception dreams? The Kayade family can transform into animals, so I already expected my kids to turn into magnificent beasts. Naade, surprisingly, considered his personality, can turn into a black panther. Although, I understand, because he is a panther in bed".

"Too much information, Yuexi", I told her.

"You are married now. If you want, you can talk about how your husband is in bed too. He is hot, so sex must be good". She struck back. I told you she is a hurricane.

"Just go back to the conception dreams". I said.

"So puritan. Chill". She laughed at me. "Anyway. When I was pregnant with Heibao, I dreamt of a paw print that led me to a beautiful forest. So, I thought he would inherit the ability to transform into a panther and named him Heibao – black panther. Later we found out he can transform into a white cat. For my second daughter, I dreamt of a beautiful moon reflected in a lake; hence, I named her Chán juān. She can transform into a black rabbit, so I got it 50% correct. The last one, I dreamt I was flying through a meadow. I named him Jiālì, the vast paradigm. He can transform into a falcon. Even if you believe in conception dreams, our kids are out of our control, and they will never 100% match our ideals for them. We work too much, and I feel I lost a lot of my children's growing moments. I'm a parent, but I'm also a wife, a leader, a merchant, an explorer. It's hard to be everything at once, and we'll always feel we are lacking in one subject. Your kid is still 12, she will need her mother for a long time. And even after becoming an adult and having her own family, she will need someone to guide her".

Lawita and Cerys were crying as she said these. I don't know if it was the alcohol or just the emotions, probably a mix of the two. They hugged and cried for a while, and the other ladies pretended to ignore them so they could cry to their hearts desire. I haven't drunk at all, but I feel somehow broken and in need to cry too.

"Auntie", I called Aunt Shalhevet to the side, "I'll step outside for a moment, but no need to worry. I just need some air".

"Sure", she looked at me, "Are you feeling well?"

"Yeah. I just need a break. Those last days were pretty agitated".

"Agreed", she smiled.

There was a balcony close to the room, decorated with beautiful roses and a rustic bench. I sat with my face in my hands, feelings that I couldn't understand flowing through my eyes and bursting in my throat. I felt the need to scream, but I didn't know why. With my face still hidden, I vaguely heard someone sitting by my side. I took my hands off my face and looked at the beautiful blonde lady. We didn't say anything, but our bodies moved towards a hug. We stayed like that for a while without a word. When I finally got the courage to let the words flow, I asked:

"Was I ever a sister to you?"

"What do you mean?", Cerys was crying too, "I always loved you, but I didn't know how to express it. If someone wasn't a sister, that would be me. I know how the Conwenna house was claustrophobic for you, still I never did anything. I just abandoned you. I ran away and left the chaos for you to deal with. When I heard you got married, I knew it was my fault. Maybe if I was still here, father wouldn't have made you get married in exchange for a few coins. I fled not to be used, but you're the one who had to become an object for father's greed".

"That's not what I mean. You talk about my pain, but what about your pain? You were forced into a life you never wanted, to comply with a wasted future. Every time I visited the house, I saw the sadness in your eyes and did nothing. You treated me with respect, you cared for me and protected me in your own way. Although you had no power in the mansion, you did your best to shield me from father and brother's hateful gazes. I'll be forever thankful for that. In that meaning, you were a sister to me. But I... I was nothing. With all the knowledge and strength, I accumulated, I couldn't stop you from suffering. I don't blame you for running, but I blame me for not doing anything to help you stay".

"There was nothing you could have done. And, maybe, if you had found a way for me to stay, I wouldn't have found the happiness I have now. I have a husband who loves me and listens to me; two adorable kids that I cherish; and people that trust me and follow me. I've found the future I was searching". She smiled at me and dried my tears. Her tears were still flowing and falling from her chin. Still, her aura completely changed and was filled with optimism.

"I found my future too. I can't say yet if this is happiness, or if this is the future I dreamt of, but right now is the future I want".

We hugged again and stayed there for a while, looking at the stars and enjoying the perfume of the roses. When we got back to the room, it was a tear fest; even Sybil, the Ice Queen, was crying. I decided not to ask what happened and just pretend I didn't see anything.

***

On the following days, we had many reunions to negotiate the terms of contract. Yuexi really liked Lawita and Cerys and decided to take them under her wing. They couldn't ask for a better person. The Moonrise Caravan already decided they would leave with the Laukkanen family to the North to study the Northeastern creatures and think of the best strategy to deal with the monster waves. Yuexi was excited to find new research material; Naade didn't express, but he was interest in cold resistant plants.

Three days after the Moonrise Caravan arrived, my brother Llewelyn carriage parked outside. He came without father knowing, and all his servants were outside contractors that were dismissed in the entrance. We had already volunteered a group of maids and butlers to serve him during his stay. I was nervous if he would accept the conditions, but he came without many questions.

"I salute the prince and princess of the Light Kingdom". He bowed at us.

"We salute you back, prospectus duke Llewelyn Shalhevet Conwenna", Ewan answered back.

He brought light baggage, for only a week. Cerys knew he would be coming but preferred not to see him. The Marquis and Marchioness Laukkanen even changed rooms so they wouldn't meet the prospectus duke by chance.

The maids sent him to the office. Before we could decide what to do during his stay, I needed to talk with him. I need to know his stance not only about the duchy succession, but also the royal family and the political and economic state of the country. Llewelyn was personally trained by duke Fursey Conwenna – an idiot. Still, mother always tried to keep Llewelyn close to her so he could be properly educated in other, more important, aspects of life. Now it was time to find out which education prevailed.

As soon as we arrived in the office, Itzal brought us the tea and left. We were still quite wary regarding Llewlyn, so we had two guards positioned outside the room. Although the place was soundproof, we had a sign to alert the guards if anything happened.

"Sister, I came here and fulfilled all your requests; still, you doubt me?" Those were my brother's first words as the butler closed the doors.

"Until we can verify your positioning, we need to proceed cautiously. A smart person as you would do the same, wouldn't you?"

"You know I'm not a smart person. If I was, I would not have agreed to come here".

"It's a good thing that you have some understanding of your own condition".

"I'm not the smartest, the strongest or the most talented sibling. Still, I have father backing me to inherit the duchy. Isn't it funny?"

"I have no interest in inheriting the duchy".

"I believe that. You need to have some kind of aspiration to inherit the house. But you're just a brat who was lucky to find a wealthy cripple to marry".

When he insulted Ewan, my blood began to boil, but Ewan held my hand and indicated for me to calm down.

"Lord Conwenna, I advise you not to insult me. I decided to leave this discussion to my wife; yet I know her temper and that she will become impulsive at the smallest sign of a threat. I controlled her this time, but, as you said, I'm just a cripple and she is a strong woman well-versed in martial arts. Those guards outside are not to stop you from doing something against us, but us from doing something against you. Therefore, you better behave as a prospectus duke, instead of a spoiled brat".

When Ewan defends me like that, he convinces me even more that I made the right choice by marrying him.

"Thanks, my prince", I said looking him in his eyes. "Even if this poorly educated brother of mine doesn't act as it fits his title, I'll try not to break his neck. We still have some need for him".

"Alright, I understand. You're two tigers and I'm your prey. No need to flash your aggressiveness. You're still the same as you were as a child, Astrea".

"It's good that you remember that. Has that knife wound I gave you fully healed?"

"You know it didn't. It scarred me a long time ago". He sighed and looked at me. "Mother convinced me to come; if it wasn't for her, I'd have completely ignored your request. She knows father isn't the best person to guide me to be a good Duke. He wasn't a good administrator and lost a lot of money to bad businesses. I won't act like I don't know that, so please don't treat me as the likes of him".

It seems that mother still has a strong influence on him. This kid may not be a lost case.

"You came because you think we can help you?" I asked.

"No, I came because I know I can help you. I don't know what your plan is, and why you'd invite me here. But I know Cerys is also in the mansion, and she is not the only one. She is probably avoiding me, which I think she should. I know how much misery I brought to her when she was still here. Not only to her".

"Are you going to apologize after acting high and mighty when you arrived. I don't believe your words".

He laughed. I don't know who he was lying to, but until he started being truthful for once, I could not trust him.

"You're still perceptive, little sister. Don't blame me for trying to appease you. I really came under Mother advice, don't get me wrong. The Duchess is smart, and she cares a lot about her only son. And you may be fierce, impulsive, and even violent; you may have even hurt me in the past, but the cut was superficial, and you tried to avoid any essential part. It doesn't affect my life at all. And that husband of yours may have been a tiger once, but he is not even a kitten now", as he spilled his nonsense, Ewan tightly hold my hand. I wanted to break his arms, but I knew I shouldn't. "I know you are building something here. You got Cerys, who made the Marquis' family prosperous after a few years as the house lady. Even Aunt Shalhevet is here with you. I may have hated you, because you were given a life, while I was trapped in that hellish mansion. But I never underestimated you. You tricked father and the king. Now you're preparing for something even bigger. I want a piece of that cake. And you know that if I leave here, I can tell everyone about what I saw".

"And what did you see?" Ewan asked him. "You are talking too much for someone who came here without any escort. And don't think about the mercenaries you arranged to follow you from afar, our team already caught them. There will be no surprise appearances. You had better take your time eating our food and enjoying our hospitality. Maybe your baggage won't be enough. So, if you need, we'll provide you with suitable clothes. And our guards are excited to work with you".

Translation: we'll keep you here for as long as we want, because you're no longer our guest, but our prisoner. Did I say how proud of my husband I'm?

"What? I told you I would work with you". He tried to argue back as the guards held him.

"Sorry, but we have no interest in working with someone we don't trust". I said walking toward the door. "You're lucky my husband prefers dealing with nuisances in his own manner, because I'm no longer the kid who was afraid of breaking some bones".  

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

961 417 19
For eons and eons The two Kingdoms have been at war. Blood being sacrificed families losing each. Friends losing each other. Losing those close to th...
100 1 8
It is not much of a fairy tale at all. By the time they meet, Jez is burdened by dark truths and fears for her family. Michael’s heart is already ent...
230K 10K 25
Ismay lives in a world where everyone knows their place, every wife is classed and set with certain expectations. Ismay will be a diplomatic wife whe...
101 13 13
Asteria, a princess is forced to marry her enemy to make piece in the kingdom but with that she'll make new friends and learns a lot of thing she did...