Lead the Way // TFATWS

By TheQuietHufflepuff

Half a year after all those dusted return, some still feel life was better during the difficult five years. ... More

Aesthetic
Epigraph
April 2024
Post-Blip
01
02
03
04
05
06
07
08
09
10
11
12
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24

13

77 2 0
By TheQuietHufflepuff

[The Whole World is Watching]

WAKANDA - SIX YEARS AGO

Bucky and Nessa sat next to a fire as Ayo stood by.

Ayo said in English, "It is time."

"You sure about this?" Bucky asked uncertainly as he stared at the fire.

He was drawn back to the situation at hand when Ayo said, "I won't let you hurt anyone."

Ayo slowly walked around him as she said in Russian, "Longing." Bucky lowered his head, trying to fight the words. "Rusted." Ayo stepped closer. "Seventeen."

Bucky shook his head and said, "It's not gonna work."

Ayo continued. "Daybreak." Bucky breathed heavily and tears formed as memories of what he'd done as the Winter Soldier flashed in his mind. "Furnace." He saw Zemo closing the red book and saw himself punching the glass of his containment chamber and seeing Steve for the first time in 70 years. "Nine." He saw himself and Rosie fighting three of the Avengers. A vision of him strapped down for brainwashing flashed across his memories. He saw himself in his goggles and mask, then saw himself crash Howard and Maria Stark's car on December 16, 1991. He saw himself choking Maria after killing Howard.

"Benign," Ayo said. He saw himself trying to pull away Iron Man's face mask. He saw the brainwashing again. He fought the words Ayo spoke. "Homecoming." He saw himself after beating Steve near lifeless after he'd uttered the words that would alter his path for the better.

Bucky continued struggling against the words as Ayo said in Russian, "One. Freight Car."

Tears streamed down Bucky's face as he came to the realization that he was himself. He began crying harder, which soon turned to sobs of joy and relief.

Ayo smiled lightly and said in English, "You are free." Bucky glanced up at Ayo and she nodded as her smile widened. "You are free."

Bucky looked down and he closed his eyes tightly as he sniffled, still sobbing. Nessa pulled him close and ran a gentle hand through his hair.

Ayo let out a breath and smiled softly at him.

Bucky stared at the fire, a fist to his mouth, and smiled widely. He was free from hurting others. After decades of torture and memory wipes, he was finally free. He was finally able to live a life without the fear of turning into a killing machine. And maybe he and Nessa could eventually start a family.

Bucky turned to his wife and kissed her tenderly.

RIGA, LATVIA - STREET - PRESENT DAY

"How could you free him?" Ayo asked.

"We need his help," Nessa answered in Xhosa.

Ayo walked around Bucky and Nessa. "With time, will, and the resources, the Winter Soldier programming was removed from you like a rotten fur."

"And I'm grateful for that," Bucky replied. "I'm grateful for everything you and Shuri have done..." He glanced at Nessa, knowing that due to what Ayo and Shuri had done, that despite the nightmares and horrors he still remembered, they were able to live a life together.

Ayo continued in an angry tone. "Zemo murdered our King T'Chaka at the U.N. The man who chose us. Who chose me to protect him."

Bucky and Nessa glanced over their shoulders to Ayo, who had yet to make a full circle and said, "I understand."

"Very little, if anything, of our loss and shame."

Nessa let out a sigh as she looked at the ground. Bucky looked down, took a deep breath, and he said in Xhosa, "He's a means to an end."

The two looked back at Ayo, who was finishing her circle, and she nodded before saying, "Eight hours, White Wolf. Then we come for him." She held out her hand and Bucky returned the beads that had been in his and Nessa's path. Once he returned them, Ayo turned and left.

---

Bucky and Nessa made their way to Zemo's large city home and the former said, "Well, the Wakandans are here. They want Zemo. Bought us some more time."

Sam looked between them. "Were you two followed?"

"No," Bucky and Nessa replied.

"How can you two be so sure?" Zemo asked, walking to the window.

"'Cause Ness and I know when we're being followed," Bucky said.

Zemo looked away from the window. "It was sweet of you to defend me at least."

Sam turned to Zemo. "Hey, you shut it. No one's defending you. You killed Nagel."

"Do we really have to litigate what may or may not have happened?"

Nessa frowned. "There's nothing to litigate. You shot the man." She turned at Bucky who was staring at his phone. "What is it?"

"Sam," Bucky called.

"What?" Sam asked.

"Karli bombed a GRC supply depot."

"What? What's the damage?"

"Eleven injured, three dead. They have a list of demands and are promising more attacks if those demands aren't met in full."

"She's getting worse." Zemo walked up to the island. "I have the will to complete this mission. Do the three of you?"

Nessa shook her head. "No, wait a minute. She's just a kid."

Sam nodded. "Nessa's right."

Zemo shook his head. "You're seeing something in her that isn't there. You're clouded by it. She's a supremacist. The very concept of a Super Soldier will always trouble people. It's that warped aspiration that led to Nazis, to Ultron, to the Avengers."

"Hey, those are our friends you're talking about."

Bucky leaned on the island. "The Avengers, not the Nazis."

Nessa shuddered. "The Communists were just as bad, too. If not worse."

Sam continued, looking back at Zemo. "So, Karli is radicalized, but there has to be a peaceful way to stop her."

"The desire to become a superhuman cannot be separated supremacist ideals. Anyone with that serum is inherently on that path," Zemo said, motioning his hand up and down. "She will not stop. She will escalate until you kill her. Or she kills you."

Bucky lifted his head and stood tall before replying, "Maybe you're wrong, Zemo. The serum never corrupted Steve."

"Touché. But there has never been another Steve Rogers, has there?"

Bucky walked towards a couch. Nessa followed and said, "Well, maybe we should give him to the Wakandans right now."

Zemo began looking through cabinets. "And you'll give up your tour guide?"

"Yes," Bucky and Nessa replied with a nod as they sat on the couch.

Sam leaned back in his chair. "From my understanding, Donya is like a pillar of the community, right? So, when I was a kid, my TT passed away."

Bucky and Nessa hesitated as they looked up to Sam from the couch and asked, "Your TT?"

"Yeah, my TT, yeah."

"Who is your TT?"

"Fine. When I was a kid, my aunt passed away and the entire neighborhood got together for a ceremony. It was like a week long. Maybe they're doing the same thing for Donya."

Bucky and Nessa glanced at each other before saying, "Worth a shot."

Zemo looked at the Avengers, his hand full of candy he'd pull from the jar as he said, "Your TT would be proud of you." He held a piece of candy. "Turkish Delight. Irresistible." He tossed one to Sam.

---

They made their way to the refugee camp Donya was in and as they walked in, they heard children laughing and playing.

"Shame what's become of this place," Zemo said. "When I was young, we used to come here for fabulous dinners and parties. I knew nothing of the politics of the time, of course, but I remember it being beautiful."

Nessa studied a GRC poster and glanced around, but to her in that moment, it seemed nothing sinister was going on.

"I'm gonna take a look around upstairs," Sam said. "See what you can find out here. And keep an eye on him. Nessa, you with me or the Baron and Bucky?"

Nessa thought for a moment. "I'll stay with Bucky."

A man spoke on the PA.

Zemo raised his hands, glancing at Nessa and Bucky. "I'll stay out of your way." He walked away.

---

Upstairs, Sam got to a split in the hallway and went to the right.

"Hey, kid," Sam said, but the kid ran away and Sam walked up to a woman working at a table and asked, "You heard of Donya Madani?"

"Um..." the woman stood, "no." She and the other woman walked out. "Sorry, no."

Sam looked at a box and saw the red handprint symbol of the Flag Smashers and shook his head. He continued walking the halls and spoke to anyone he saw.

"Hey!" Sam said. "Donya Madani? Shit!"

A door locked and Sam called, "Donya?"

---

Outside, Bucky and Nessa made their way to a small group and asked, "Donya?" The people didn't answer. "No?"

---

Sam continued walking and found what seemed to be a classroom. There was a man speaking with children.

Sam walked up and said, "Excuse me. Do you know a woman by the name of Donya Madani? She was a refugee here."

The man stood and replied, "We're not refugees, for we have nothing to seek refuge from. We're internationally-displaced persons."

"No, I understand. I'm not from here, but I have a pretty good track record of helping out."

"I know what happens when people say they're going to help out. Nothing." He took a deep breath. "The Global Repatriation Council promised to send more teachers, supplies. That was six months ago."

"Well what's your name? Maybe I can make a call."

The man looked at Sam. "I know who you are. But I can't trust you. I'm sorry. Let's go."

---

Outside in the courtyard, Zemo sang Baa Baa Black Sheep as he set down a small stool near a group of kids and dumped out the candy. "Turkish Delight. It was always my son's favorite. My old friend, Donya, passed away. Did you know her?"

"Yes," a little girl replied.

"I would like to pay my last respects. Do you know where her funeral will be?"

The little girl nodded. Zemo pointed to his ear and the little girl whispered in his ear.

Sam pocketed his hands, stopping between Bucky and Nessa as he said, "It's starting to feel like a dead end."

Bucky narrowed his eyes as he stared at Zemo and asked, "The hell is he doing?"

Nessa shrugged. "Nefarious means, I imagine."

Zemo pointed to the Avengers and Nessa. "Do you see those men and that woman over there?" The kids nodded. "They're very bad. Not to be trusted. Donya is our little secret, okay?"

"Those look good," a girl commented. "I want one."

As Zemo walked back towards the Avengers and Nessa, he said, "Cute kids." He walked away.

HOUSE

A door closed and after a moment, Bucky said, "Well, Ness and I got nothin'."

Nessa let out a sigh. "No one's talking about Donya."

Sam looked between them before saying, "Yeah, it's because Karli is the only one fighting for them." Bucky and Nessa sighed. "And she's not wrong."

"What do you mean?" the Super Soldiers asked.

Sam, who sat on the opposite couch explained, "For five years, people have been welcomed into countries that have kept them out using barbwire. There were houses and jobs. Folks were happy to have people around to help them rebuild. It wasn't just one community coming together, it was an entire world coming together. And then, boom. Just like that, it goes right back to the way it used to be. To them, at least Karli's doin' somethin'."

Nessa turned to Sam as she said, "You really think her ends justify her means?"

Bucky gestured to Zemo as he added, "Then she's no different than him or anybody else we've fought."

"She's different," Sam told them. "She's not motivated by the same things."

Zemo, who had been making tea, walked over to them with the tea on the tray as soon as it was ready.

"That little girl," Bucky said, looking up at Zemo. "What'd she tell you?"

"The funeral is this afternoon," Zemo replied, setting the tray on the coffee table.

Nessa stared at Zemo. "You know the Dora's coming for you any minute."

Bucky nodded. "She's right. In fact, they're probably lurking outside right now. Keep talking."

"Leaving you to turn on me once we get to Karli," Zemo noted, shaking his head. "Hmm. I prefer to keep my leverage."

Bucky stood and walked around Zemo. He grabbed a cup and threw it against the wall. Zemo looked at Bucky as though he was more hurt about the broken cup.

"You wanna see what someone can do with leverage?" Bucky retorted, staring Zemo down.

Nessa walked up to Bucky, standing between him and Zemo before shaking her head as Sam said, "Take it easy. Don't engage him. He's just going to extort you and do that stupid head tilt thing."

Sam stood and walked up behind Zemo who straightened his head as Sam said, "Let me make a call." He walked away, hitting Bucky's shoulder.

Zemo looked between Bucky and Nessa and asked, "You two want some cherry blossom tea?"

"No, you go ahead," Bucky answered, walking away.

"Maybe later," Nessa replied before following her husband.

Zemo let out a breath.

---

Bucky was sitting at the end of a bed.

As Nessa closed the door, she asked softly, "James, are you okay?"

"Yeah," Bucky replied.

"Darling, you should know by now that you can't lie to me. You're angry, and I don't blame you. But try to remember that Zemo is a means to an end. As soon as we're done with him, we'll turn him to the Dora Milaje."

"But if they come first-"

"And we know they will-"

"Ness, we need him. And I hate that we do."

"I know you do." She sat next to him and took one of his hands. "Do you believe Karli is doing good?"

"I understand her motive, but she could go about it a different way. A better way."

The two fell into a comfortable silence and Bucky placed a hand on her stomach, giving her a soft smile. She placed her hand on his, giving him the same soft smile before resting her head on his shoulder.

After a moment, she asked, "Should we join the others?"

"Not yet. I want to sit here with the company of only you for awhile."

She nodded and cuddled into him. Bucky kissed her hair as he wrapped an arm around her shoulders.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

74.3K 1.5K 40
I put my head on Bucky's shoulder. "Why don't you have a picture of me in your compass ?" I asked. He put his head on mine and took his compass from...
2.1K 52 28
Six months ago, Dorothy got her father back after a long five years. Now they're residing in Brooklyn, trying to live a normal life. He goes to assi...
1K 13 26
The world is still recovering from half the population being dusted. In the six months since people returned, a group of radicals who feel life was...
890 17 6
Endgame has passed, Thanos is gone and the Stones were returned back to the past and so did Steve. Passing his mantle down to Sam Wilson as the next...