this is me trying (9-1-1: Lon...

Oleh ChloeOgradyXo

Saffron Adeline Taylor is 16-years-old. She lives in Austin, Texas with her very conservative parents. On the... Lebih Banyak

this is me trying
trigger/content warnings
prologue
1
2
3
5

4

564 30 5
Oleh ChloeOgradyXo

It's been a few days. Saffron has recovered from her concussion and her shoulder has stopped hurting. It's a Thursday morning. Saffron wakes up bright and early for school. She gets dressed and packs her bag before heading downstairs. She sees that Ellen and Richard aren't at the kitchen table like usual and that there are a few dishes by the sink; so she assumes that they've already left for work. She grabs some breakfast before washing up the dishes and placing them on the drying rack. As she's finishing, she gets a text from Ben to say he's waiting outside with Alex since they're taking her to school. She grabs her bag and keys before walking out of the house, locking the door behind her. She walks down to Alex's car and gets in the back next to Ben.

'Hola, chica.' Ben smiles. 'How's the head?'

'Good.' Saffron nods, putting her seatbelt on. Alex looks at her and she senses the question neither Ben nor Alex wants to ask. 'My parents haven't really been home.' She tells them. 'I've only seen them a couple of times in the past few days. However, there's some charity fundraiser gala tonight that we were invited to so I'm going with them.'  She averts eye contact.

'Saff, they're making you go with them, right?' Ben asks.

'I want to go.' Saffron tells him. 'It's just- it's the gala is for a mental health charity.'

'Ah.' Ben sighs. 'Your mom and dad will most likely be sharing your story then.'

'Yep.' Saffron nods.

'Do you want me to come with you?' Ben offers. Saffron looks at Alex.

'I'm fine with him going with you if it's allowed.' Alex nods.

'My invitation came separate allowing me a plus one.' Saffron states. 'So, yes please.'

'Hasta el fin.' Ben holds onto one of Saffron's hands, smiling.

'Hasta el fin.' Saffron smiles back.

.

Later that evening, Saffron is getting ready for the gala. She's wearing a silver dress and is having her hair and make-up done by some stylists that Ellen and Richard hired. They're both working in tandem, as instructed by Ellen to make the process as quick as possible.

'I could have done my hair and make-up by myself.' Saffron tells Ellen who is supervising. She's already ready for the gala whilst Richard is still getting dressed.

'And have you looking like a tramp?' Ellen scoffs. 'No thanks. Your appearance will reflect on your father and I and therefore, will reflect on Bright Security. No-one will want to hire us if it looks like we can't look after our own daughter.

'Sorry.' Saffron lowers her eyes. Before Ellen can say something, the doorbell rings. 'That will be Ben.' Saffron slowly looks back up.

'You invited him?' Ellen asks, masking her anger.

'My invitation allowed me a plus one. I'm sorry, I should've asked first.'

'Well, I can't exactly turn him away now. I'll be right back.' Ellen swiftly walks out of the room.

'Are you okay?' The hair stylist, Mary asks, having noticed the tension.

'I'm fine.' Saffron replies unconvincingly.

'Right, I'm finished now then.' Mary tells her.

'Me too.' Elise, the make-up artist adds. Saffron looks into the mirror.

'I like it.' Saffron forces a smile. 'Thank you.' Despite the look being chosen by her mother, she does like what they've done. Ellen walks back into the room with Ben and the three of them turn to face them.

'We're done now, Mrs Taylor.' Elise informs her.

'Thank you.' Ellen nods, surveying their work. 'You did a good job. We'll leave you to clean up. We'll be in the kitchen if you need anything.' Saffron stands up and, with Ben, follows Ellen through to the kitchen. Once they're in the kitchen, Ellen turns to face Saffron. 'Your father is still getting ready, once he's done, we'll be on our way.' She turns to Ben. 'Ben, can you give me a couple minutes with Saffron please?' Knowing that he can't argue, Ben reluctantly nods and walks out. However, he stays close enough to hear what's going on.

'I know I should have told you that Ben was coming, but it was last minute. When he found out I was going and what it was for he-' Saffron starts to explain but Ellen cuts her off by walking closer to her and gripping her upper arm.

'I couldn't give two shits how you came to invite him. The only thing that matters that you should have asked me. Not told me. Asked me.' Ellen snarls. 'Have we not taught you manners? He better be on his best behaviour. I don't want any funny business from either of you.'

'Yes. ma'am.' Saffron nods, using the standard response she uses when her mom gets like this. Ellen narrows her eyes and lets go.

'Good.' Ellen nods. 'If you embarrass us tonight-'

'I know.' Saffron gulps.

'I'm going to go and find out if your father is ready. Get whatever you need together.' Ellen tells her before walking off. A few moments later, Ben rejoins Saffron.

'You okay?' Ben questions.

'Mmh-hmm.' Saffron nods. 'I uh- I gotta get a couple things together. Let's go up to my room.' They both walk up to Saffron's room and close the door behind them.

'Saff-' Ben starts.

'I'm fine.' Saffron cuts him off. 'She just said her usual shit.' She adds as she grabs a silver clutch from her closet. 'As always, she things that we'll embarrass them.' She says as she puts her keys, phone and some perfume in the clutch. When she turns back to Ben, she sees that he's holding some syringes. Saffron has severe anxiety and since tablets did't work for her when she has anxiety attacks, she was prescribed diazepam injections.

'You're probably gonna need a couple of these.' Ben smiles slightly.

'You know me too well.' Saffron chuckles, taking the syringes and also placing them in the clutch.

'What are friends for, eh?' Ben nudges her shoulder with his.

'Let's go!' Ellen shouts from downstairs.

'C'mon.' Saffron picks her bag up and puts it on her shoulder. 'Best not keep them waiting.' They both walk out of her room and down the stairs.

'Got everything?' Richard asks Saffron as he fixe his cuff links.

'Yeah.' Saffron nods.

'Then let's go.' Richard nods back.

.

Fifteen minutes later, Saffron, Ben, Richard and Ellen are arriving at the gala. They check in and make their way to the main hall.

'Your father and I are going to have a walk around.' Ellen tells Saffron. 'You and Ben - do whatever, just don't do anything to make us look bad.' Before Saffron or Ben can reply, Richard and Ellen walk away.

'Charming as ever.' Ben mutters.

'Shut up.' Saffron laughs slightly, shaking her head.

'Why are they making you come if they were just gonna go and do their own thing?' Ben asks.

'I don't know.' Saffron shrugs. 'I haven't been to the last few galas we were invited to, maybe people were asking questions.' She looks around the room, stopping when her gaze lands on Carlos, who is in his uniform. 'Officer Reyes is here.' Saffron turns back to Ben.

'Let's go and say hi then.' Ben nods. The two of them walk over to him.

'Officer Reyes.' Saffron smiles.

'Just Carlos is fine.' Carlos smiles back and nods. 'You two look nice.'

'Thank you.' Saffron responds. 'My parents are donors of the charity this gala is for.' She tells him. 'Take it you're working?'

'The charity wanted some P.D. officers on the inside.' Carlos nods. 'How are you feeling after the other day?'

'Good.' Saffron responds. 'No lasting damage.'

'That's good to hear.' Carlos smiles. They hear microphone feedback and so they turn their attention to the stage.

'Hello everyone, thank you for coming tonight. For those that don't know, my name is Carrie Sherwood. I'm the founder of Youth Mind. We are a charity aimed at supporting young people through mental health struggles. To do that, we rely on donations. Your donations.' Carrie opens. 'To kick off the evening, our biggest donors. Richard and Ellen Taylor from Bright Security have prepared a speech. Youth Mind helped their daughter through something really tough.' Richard and Ellen step onto the stage.

'Did you know they were doing this?' Ben whispers to his best friend.

'No.' Saffron shakes her head, trembling. 'I can't stay in here and listen to this.' Saffron turns to Ben. 'I can't relive it.'

'Let's go and get some fresh air. C'mon.' Ben puts is hand on the small of her back and they walk out. When they get outside, they sit on a wall.

'They're not going to like that I walked out.' Saffron whispers after a few minutes. She goes to stand up but Ben stops her. 'Ben, I need to go back inside.'

'No.' Ben states. 'You are not risking your mental health for your parents.' Saffron starts hyperventilating. 'Saff, it's going to be okay.'

'All those people, those strangers, hearing what I was like at my lowest. Why I ended up like that.' Saffron's breathing picks up more and more. 'Why didn't they just tell me? I need to go back in there but I can't go back in there and- ow.' She looks to her arm and sees Ben injections he diazepam.

'You're having an anxiety attack. Everything is fine. It's going to be okay.' Ben tells her. 'We'll wait a few minutes for that to kick in and we'll go back inside. If your mom and dad figure out that you left the room, we'll just say that you needed the toilet, okay?' Saffron nods as Ben grabs hold of her hand.

'You always know what I need and what to say.' Saffron smiles slightly. 'Thank you.'

'You're my best friend Saff. I'll always be there for you. No matter what.' Ben smile snack. 'Thank you.' 'Hasta el fin.'

'Hasta el fin.'

.

Ten minutes later, Ben and Saffron walk back into the hall. They see that Richard and Ellen are no longer on the stage. Saffron visibly tenses.

'It's going to be okay.' Ben whispers in her ear. 'Let's go and hang near Carlos. They won't try anything in front of him.' Saffron simply nods and they both return to where Carlos is. Sensing something is wrong, Carlos approaches them.

'Is everything okay?' He asks concerned.

'Yeah.' Saffron swallows and nods. 'I just needed some air, I couldn't relive what they talked about.'

'They wanted you to go on stage, talk about it yourself.' Carlos says and Saffron visibly pales.

'I should go and speak to them then, explain why I wasn't in here.' Saffron sates before quietly walking off leaving Ben with Carlos.She walks around the room and eventually finds her parents with Carrie.

'Ah, there you are.' Richard plasters a smile on his face.

'Sorry, I had to use the toilet.' Saffron uses the lie Ben came up with.

'No worries.' Carrie grins. 'Your mom and dad spoke on your behalf. It's great to see you doing well.' Carrie and Saffron have met on a few occasions.

'Thank you.' Saffron smiles slightly.

'We should get going.' Ellen says. 'Saffron has school in the morning.'

'Of course.' Carrie nods. 'Thank you for coming and speaking tonight.'

'It was our pleasure.' Richard grins. They say their goodbyes and Carrie walks off. As soon as she's out of sight and earshot, Richard and Ellen's smiles fall. They turn to face their daughter. 'We asked one thing of you tonight, to not embarrass us, and you did exactly that.'

'Go get Ben. We'll drop him off on the way home.' Ellen adds.

'Yes, ma'am.' Saffron nods. She returns to Ben who is talking to Carlos. 'We're leaving.' Ben looks at her. 'We'll drop you off on the way home.'

'Saff, no.' Ben shakes his head. 'I am not leaving you with hem tonight.' He adds quieter. 'You know what they'll do.' Saffron just shrugs and Ben turns to Carlos. 'You have to help, please.' He pleads.

'Legally, I can't do anything unless I see something happen,' Carlos shakes his head, full of regret, 'or unless Saffron tells me she's in danger.'

'There's no certainty they'll do anything.' Saffron says. 'Let's just go.' Ben nods, resigning.

'Saffron you have my cell number if you need me.' Carlos reminds the young girl. She nods and they say their goodbyes before Saffron and Ben walk off.

.

Half an hour later, Saffron, Richard and Ellen are arriving home after dropping Ben off.

'Go and get ready for bed and come to the front room.' Ellen tells Saffron.

'Ten minutes. Then we're coming up.' Richard adds. 'Do not make us come up.' Saffron nods and makes her way upstairs to her room. She quickly takes her dress and make off, takes her hair down and changes into her night clothes. Eight minutes alter, she's walking into the front room. Richard and Ellen are stood in the middle of the room, still in their clothes from the gala. 'Sit.' Richard points to the sofa. Saffron quietly sits down and looks at her parents.

'You were invited to that gala for one reason. To talk about how that charity helped you so they could get more donations. When we asked for you to come up on stage and you were no-where to be seen, do you know how embarrassed we felt?' Ellen rants. 'You let us down and you let the charity down.'

'I'm sorry.' Saffron apologises.

'It's too late for sorrys.' Richard scoffs 'Here's what you're going to do. Straight after school tomorrow, you're going to come home and make a video about how that charity saved your life. You'll post it on our social media's and tag the charity before 5pm. Understood?'

'Yes, sir.' Saffron nods.

'Good.' Richard smirks. 'Now get out of our sight.' Saffron stands up and walks back to her room. She sits on her bed, looks at her phone and sees a message from Ben.

FROM: Benjamina

¿Estás bien?

TO: Benjamina

They didn't do anything. Everything's okay. I'm okay.

She puts her phone on charge, slips under the cover and falls asleep.
~~~~~~~~~~~

This was a bit of a long-ish one! I got carried away a little bit haha!

Let me know what you think? What do you want to see in this book?

Much love

Lanjutkan Membaca

Kamu Akan Menyukai Ini

20.6K 824 24
"Come on, come on, don't leave me like this I thought I had you figured out Something's gone terribly wrong You're all I wanted Come on, come on, don...
20.2K 747 15
Jo takes a deep breath out and leans against the backboard of her bed. "Maybe my mind can finally take a break." "Maybe it will stop telling you to p...
379K 11.3K 105
Evelyn Diaz is the daughter of Eddie and Shannon Diaz. When she was younger, she never truly had both her parents with her. It was always Dad was in...
If only Oleh lisetteb128

Fiksi Penggemar

21.7K 440 22
Alyssa Marie Nash lives in LA with her son. She has a horrible and sad past but she tries not to think of it everyday. She part of the 118 with her d...