Stairways | A Surviving Summe...

By phoebewrites_14

Ari x Reader In the Shorehaven community, you're Y/n, Marlon's sister. After a year out, Ari Gibson is back s... More

Part 1 - Summer's Arrival
Part 2 - Disqualified
Part 3 - Party
Part 4 - Quarters
Part 5 - Training
Part 6 - Work
Part 7 - Ari's house
Part 8 - The Teachers
Part 9 - The Surf
Part 10 - Panic
Part 11 - Jackson Bay
Part 12 - First and Last
Part 13 - Shame
Part 14 - Before
Part 15 - Safe Bet
Part 16 - Apologise
Part 17 - Night Surf
Part 18 - The Reef
Part 19 - Aftermath
Part 20 - 360
Part 21 - Heat
Part 22 - Jealously, Jealousy
Part 23 -Forgiveness
Part 24 - The Hold Down
Part 25 - VIPs
Part 26 - The Party
Part 27 - Happiness
Part 28 - Deception
Part 29 - The Board
Part 30 - Secrets
Part 31 - Together
Part 32 - Breathe
Part 33 - Guilt
Part 34 - Closer
Part 35 - Surf Trip
Part 36 - Nightmares
Part 38 - Marlon
Part 39 - Warnings
Part 40 - Secret's Out
Part 41 - Gone
Part 42 - Getting Ready
Part 43 - The Plan
Part 44 - The Before Times
Part 45 - The Jump
Part 46 - Stairway
Part 47 - Falling
Part 48 - Wake Up
Part 49 - Plans
Part 50 - Shouting
Part 51 - Crashers
Part 52 - Alliance
Part 53 - Mood
Part 54 - Dare
Part 55 - Pizza
Part 56 - Thank You
Part 57 - The Ferry
Part 58 - In Time
Part 59 - Amends
Part 60 - Caught
Part 61 - Trouble
Part 62 - Break
Part 63 - Hints
Part 64 - The Airport
Part 65 - Simple
Part 66 - Season 1 Epilogue
Part 67 - Season 2 Prologue
Part 68 - Close
Part 69 - Selection
Part 70 - Pink
NOT AN UPDATE
Part 71 - Baxter
Part 72 - The State Team
Part 73 - Wren
Part 74 - Espresso
Part 75 - Team
Part 76 - Lunch
Part 77 - Team Bonding
Part 78 - Meeting
Part 79 - Deception: Part 2
Part 80 - Fire
Part 81 - Distance
Part 82 - Break Up
Part 83 - Strangers
Part 84 - Frozen
Part 85 - Help
Part 86 - Talent Search
Part 87 - Sabotage
Part 88 - Byron Bay
Part 89 - Makeup
Part 90 - Photos
Part 91 - Reputation
Part 92 - Blame
Part 93 - Disgrace
Part 94 - Party Planning
Part 95 - Passion
Part 96 - Fight
Part 97 - Morning
Part 98 - The Board (Part 2)
Part 99 - Decode
Part 100 - Bad Time

Part 37 - Trust

1.5K 29 3
By phoebewrites_14

Your hands hit the rock beneath you as you wake up to the sound of the crashing waves below. You try to gain your bearings as you glance around, eventually remembering the disastrous night with Ari. You must have fallen asleep after he left. There's a mark where your hands connected with the rock when you woke with a start, and the wind has left you completely dishevelled, not helped by the streaks on your face left by absent tears from what you suppose was a couple of hours ago now.

I hope she finds this funny, you think as you remember the reason you're out here at all. Your mum better let you back into the house after this. Especially when she finds out that you've been outside nearly all night.

You stumble back into the trees behind Stairway, sauntering aimlessly down the path, debating whether it would just be easier to stay at Stairway and try and forget about everything: Ari, the team, Boardriders, Marlon and Anchor Cove. Things seem incredibly complicated recently.

As you finally reach the road, your steps become more purposeful. The road into town isn't a busy one, but you realise that you must look a sight to any of the passing cars, so you tuck your head down, hoping no one you know goes past. But obviously luck is not on your side today.

In a Anchor Cove van on the passenger's side, Griff poked his head out the window as the van slowed to a walking pace to match your steps. The driver must be an older guy from Anchor Cove, you think - he seems agitated that he's been made to stop; his fingers tap impatiently on the steering wheel as he's forced to listen to the childish nonsense that's about to fall from Griff's mouth. But Griff seems calmer and more dignified as he speaks.

"You need a ride, Y/n? Or a phone to call your folks?" he asks, kindly.

You increase your pace slightly as you reply. "No thanks." You're nearing town now. From there it's not far to the club or your house, where you can at least pick up a change of clothes.

"Seriously, Y/n. Where have you been? Have you been out all night?" he presses; annoyingly, his tone seems concerned, rather than patronising like you would expect.

His worried tone just makes you more and more irritated. This is the same guy who's team is everything Shorehaven Boardriders aren't, and the guy who you know will hold the fact that he saw you and Ari together in that board shop over you forever. (why would Marlon ever want to join them?)

"Listen, I meant to confess to you that...well, I kind of saw you outside Anchor Cove yesterday, and I just wanted to say...I understand you not wanting to join our club, I do. And, to be honest, I'm not sure if Marlon's going to get in either."

"Doesn't matter. If anyone finds out he tried to join - and tried to rope me into it - they'll probably kick us out of the club or something." you mutter, hoping the conversation will eand there, and he'll leave you alone.

"No way. They'd be stupid to do that."

"Manu already hates me." you reply. "I'm not even officially in the club at the moment."

"So you're not doing Boardriders?"

"That's what I'm on my way to ask."

Griff hesitates, then all of a sudden grabs the door from the inside and swings it open, tilting his head to indicate you should get inside. When you don't, he sighs. "C'mon, Y/n. We're mature enough to help each other out when we need it. We can't let this rivalry control our lives."

Begrudgingly, you realise he's right. Besides, if you refuse now it looks like you're doing exactly what he's saying - letting the rivalry control you, like a child. You climb in next to him, trying not to make eye contact.

There's still this weird tension hanging over you, despite Griff's dubious attempts at acting civil, which could just be an act to get in your head before Boardriders. God, this whole thing is making me crazy, you think.

He drops you off just outside the surf club; Poppy is taking out a beginner group, but you don't think she sees you, thank goodness. You try to imagine the chaos that would ensue if she told anyone you got a ride from the enemy.

You're about to step inside when a horrible thought emerges: what if Ari had already told Manu what you and Marlon were planning to do? Surfing Stairway is probably at the top of Manu's list of reckless behaviour, and yet here you are about to try and convince him to let you back in the team after being banned for being too irresponsible.

You're about to step inside when you stop short in the doorway, seeing Ari in front of you. He's talking to Manu, but he's just out of earshot, and all you can see is Ari trying to explain something to the coach, moving his arms around to try and convey his point further. It's hard to read Manu's expression, but he's standing there, listening with his arms crossed, occasionally nodding along but you can't tell if it's fake.

Maybe you're just paranoid, but you swear his lips say your name, and you walk further into the room, your footsteps disrupting the discussion. Both Manu and Ari's heads turn to you, and based on their sudden halting of the conversation it's clear what the topic was.

"Y/n. Good to see you." Manu says, putting down some papers he was holding and turning to face you. Ari scurries out the room without a second glance in your direction, and you don't bother following.

"Manu, I...wanted to talk to you." you say nervously, edging closer.

"Oh yeah? What about?" he replies nonchalantly.

"It's just...it's Boadriders in three days, and technically you need five surfers plus an under-40s surfer, so-"

"I've got Summer." he replies curtly.

"Yeah, but don't you want someone more...experienced?"

"Y/n, this shouldn't be a 'you need someone to help you win and I can help' situation. It should be you coming to me asking for your place on the team back. You're not doing me the favour."

"Yeah, yeah, I'm sorry." you reply. Wow, you've screwed this up already, Y/n, you think.

"Y/n, it's not long until Stairway's pumping again. The last thing I need is for you to be doing anything reckless. You know what happened last year."

"Manu, I don't know what Ari's told you but I would never, ever try and surf Stairway." you say adamantly, as truthfully as you can as Manu eyes you suspiciously. You suddenly realise that the outburst probably seemed incredibly out of the blue and suspicious, but you decide not to try and explain, or push it further.

He hesitates. "Good to know." he says, but his eyes narrow at your sudden response. "What I was going to say is that if I let you surf at Boardriders, I need to know that I can trust you, that you're one hundred percent committed to the team."

You nod quickly, avoiding eye contact. "I am."

"Okay. Then you're officially back on the team. For now."

"So I can surf at Boardriders?!" you exclaim, and Manu nods, a slight smile playing at his lips.

You feel elated as you leave the club - no one knows that you and Marlon are planning to surf Stairway, and you're back on the team, as long as you stay committed to it, which shouldn't be a problem...as long as Griff and Marlon don't tell anyone about the Anchor Cove situation.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

54.4K 711 28
Isabella Marriott, Summer's best friend, NewYork rat and surfer lover, travels with Summer on another continent because her best friend is exiled by...
5.9K 86 25
Moving to a new place might seem like it would be good and you'd get to start over but not when you find yourself in the same situation just differen...
2.5K 78 14
IN WHICH Summer Torres goes AWOL on her friends for a year and finally reunites with them to surf State Nationals with a friend to tag along, Pandora...
84K 1.4K 26
Kai Anoki's life was tragic, what was more tragic was being transplanted from her home to Shorehaven. Kai was angry about what happened to her, angry...