Wolf of Eden

By the_rebellionxx

Death Secluded Meticulous These are the few words that are used to describe the cold and detached wolf. Th... More

Orenda
Sequitur
Elysium
Querencia
Kalon
Whelve
Eremos
Limerence
Metanoia
Selcouth
Zephyr
Abience

Sequoia

1.1K 32 10
By the_rebellionxx

Tired and achy joints make themselves apparent as I flex my fingers. The strain on my poor left hand leaving my palm numb and knuckles eager to be cracked in sweet relief. The pent-up tension has me putting down my ceramic pestle as I stare at the ingredients in its accompanying bowl.

The wet green mulch stares back at me and a pungent aroma coats my tastebuds.

It took me the better part of half an hour to grind down the appropriate ingredients till they squelched their announcement of having been perfectly blended together.

"I get that you're a witch and all but this is the twenty-first century. Why don't you skip the cauldron and wooden broom and just get yourself a blender," The high-pitched voice from behind me speaks up.

I flare my nostrils at the person's words, not liking the comparison as I glance down at my pestle and mortar, my go-to for whipping up concoctions.

"Because a blender won't give me the proper consistency I need. Also, I thought you were ill and on your deathbed. Hurry up and snuff it," I say with a disinterested grunt.

Picking up the see-through bottle next to me, I grab my wooden spoon and scoop up the paste, edging it into the lip of the container. Once halfway full, I grab the cork and seal it shut, pleased with my work.

Turning around, I level the woman with my stare as she watches me with tired eyes. Half propped on her bed, lays my ever annoying friend. The woman is tiny in her bed and is engulfed by a multitude of pillows and blankets, her pale lifeless face peeking through all the cotton and fluff that surrounds her.

"I'm not that ill," she huffs in distaste while I walk over to her, trying to stop myself from bumping into things. Even her plea of denial is halfhearted. The woman lacks the energy to properly protest.

The woman herself is tiny and her house follows suit. The lovely stone cottage is a treat to the eyes but that's where all the goodness ends. For someone of my height, it results in bumps and bruises from thwacking yourself against the low edges and ceiling, stumbling over furniture that is probably considered a throne for a pixy along with the cloying scent of too many fragrances attacking your senses.

"Why ever did you call me then, Aine?"

All I get in an answer is a loud echoing sneeze followed by my friend's face turning a shade of scarlet that would put her roses in the rosebed outside to shame.

"Oh, Althea. I think I just peed myself a little."

"Would you like me to whip up a salve for incontinence?" I chirp, already turning around to grab the ingredients.

A spluttering of negative assurance starts up from behind but that cuts off when Aine erupts into a cacophony of sneezes and coughing.

"I wouldn't want to begin to think where that salve would go," Aine mutters and I can sense her shivering frame as she pulls the comforter around her.

Turning around with confusion, I hand the bottle to her but frown at her silliness.

"Where else? I can help you with putting it on. I've had my hands in worse places," I assure my good-natured friend who now turns even redder, her rosy cheeks standing out against her dull skin.

I wonder what all the fuss is about. I'm quite gentle with my hands and just yesterday I was helping a cow give birth. She didn't seem to mind but rather appreciated the assistance.

"N-no. Thank you," Aine grasps the bottle and watches on with deep intrigue. The juniper green of the concoction battling against her own moss-coloured ones. "I say this with all my love and respect, but you weren't dropped on your head as a child were you?"

I take a seat on the comfortable bed, although not scooting too close.

I'm not daft enough to get sick, now am I?

Thinking as far back as I can remember, I shake my head.

"No. I think someone would have mentioned it to me," I say with assurance but then something else comes to mind. "Oh! I was bit by a rabid rabbit when I was two. Look!"

The thin silvery bite mark stands out proudly against my dark skin and I grin in appreciation as I wiggle my pinky.

"Pretty neat, isn't it?"

Aine stares blankly back at me, eyes shining bright with confusion before she tilts her head slowly.

"Uhuh.

"I tried to shake it off but the feisty thing hung on real good. It was quite exhilarating if I'm being honest."

Aine sits up in interest, green eyes wide and hanging off of every word.

I quite enjoy the attention, I don't mind basking in it as she opens her mouth to ask me a question.

"Did you kill the rabbit? Poor thing did have rabies."

"Huh? No of course not. I took it back home and kept it as a pet. She's still there. I leave food out for Rabid all the time," I think fondly back to the little fluffball. She's been a good friend and I look forward to giving the gentle beast some vegetable plants when I get back home.

"You named the rabbit, Rabid?"

"Mhm. She's not rabid anymore. I cured her when I was ten."

A moment of silence lapses as I realise it's soon time to plant the lettuce. A cold frost will soon be approaching and then the ground will be too hard to put anything in it.

"Oh, speaking of cures," Aine rouses me out of my thoughts and I fix my deep stare on her. "What's in the bottle?"

"The medicine," I glance down at the dark green nestled in her tiny hands. "Well, a bit of Eye of Newts, Lions Mane to boost immunity and quite a bit of Howlet's Wing."

Aine turns a shade of green very similar to the medication in her hand.

"How am I supposed to take that? I'll be sick!" She complains.

My face turns into an expression akin to offence as I huff at the thought of all my effort going to waste.

"That's just the witchy term. It's literally just mustard seed, Tremella mushroom for your itchy throat and then howlet's wing which is confused for garlic but it's actually ginger. There's also a bit of honey in it which will soothe your throat."

Aine relaxes at my explanation and nods her head. She sniffs the concoction and then chugs it, a gentle smile taking over her lips.

"That actually tastes quite nice. Very sweet!"
"Why the weird colour though?"

She sure is full of questions.

I shrug at her words, thinking about the actual colour of the mix.

"It's originally a weird brown colour. That's not really appetising so I added some green food colouring to it."

Our conversation dwindles down after Aine suffers from another coughing fit. I can tell she desperately needs some rest so after tucking her in, I promise to be back early tomorrow to see how she's progressing.

After a few more goodbye's because I keep getting distracted by something, I make my way out of the cottage and into the vast forest. The twinkle of my smile dwindles away, a feat I didn't know was so taxing on me until I stepped outside. My heart fills with trite as the monotonous journey ahead weighs down on me.

Taking in a deep breath, my pores open up and I practically inhale the fresh air that surrounds me. My lungs scream in delight and my toes wiggle in my shoes, begging to dig themselves into the fresh soil beneath me.

I feel at ease surrounded by nature, my aura pleased to be out in the open where I can see the green canopy of trees above me with the sun hidden behind thick heavy clouds. The sensation of water dripping down onto my clothed body, cooling the skin to the touch and easing the warmth that engulfed me in the overly stuffy cottage. The subtle pattering of rain against the quickly softening of the ground beneath me is like a woeful serenade but brings peace nonetheless.

Rolling my shoulders to loosen up the taut muscle that comes with being hunched over for the better part of the day, I set foot into the wilderness ahead. Although unlike to most, the forest is my home and favours me as such with the map of each root and tree ingrained into my mind as I walk the worn-out path towards my own home.

It saddens me almost as I think about my dreary abode. It's filled with things I cherish the most but a melancholic feeling beseeches me as I know I have no one to welcome. No sisters to call my own nor a loving embrace from a companion. One part of me wants to turn back around and delve into Aine's warmth and comfort but I know my friend needs her rest.

I can't impose myself on her. It's a neverending story with me always feeling dejected when I leave but also guilty for staying too long and inhibiting her. With my lips pulled into a half frown, I tread the way back home. Although I won't have many conversations, at least I'll have my furry companion.

Maybe that's what is best.

I can't imagine having someone who will be by my side for more hours of the day rather than being simply alone. The mere thought has me shuddering away from any form of intimate contact.

I can never be satisfied.

The evergreen Cyprus trees crowd atop my head as if forming a crown for me to pass through. The splattering of rain from above turns to loud thuds as the large droplets thwack against the wet earth, the smell of petrichor overtaking my senses and sending me into muted bliss. My flat shoes make muffled sounds as I deftly follow the unobtrusive path, blurring under the waterways that ceaselessly hail down upon me.

I'm almost halfway there when it first stirs within me. My mind fleetingly travels to my companion and I look upwards, almost as if the waning moon will give me the answer I need. I stand there, absolutely flummoxed as the torrent of water streams down my face trying to pinpoint this random fervour that kindles within me.

Snapping up straight, my heart constricts and the breath in my lungs takes flight.

"What is happening?" I rasp out as a premonition of desperation claws through me.

I'm not sure what it is but the feeling in my chest grows. Almost a mixture of content but also an eagerness to run. To rush towards something that I do not know exists.

I feel suffocated by the sheer pressure rushing through me and before I know it, I'm hiking my dress up my legs and running at break-neck speed. Desperation courses through me and I know whatever it is;

It's close.

---------

AN: Well hello everyone! I know this is long due but I've finally gotten the courage to post the brand new spin off/sequel to Court of Night!

First of all a huge shoutout to WonderfulMiracles for the cover! It's so cool, thank you so much!
If you all aren't aware and haven't caught up yet; this is basically the journey after Court of Night and is focused on our brand new couple; Althea and Kier/Wolf (more to be clarified on that later).

If you're wondering what the heck is going on, don't you worry if you haven't read Court of Night, this can be read completely seperate and Court of Night is basically a prequel so if you'd like some hostiry or backstory, check it out. If not, don't worry and carry on.

I'm super excited to finally come out with Wolf of Eden. Ivve been working on this for a long time and it's like my brand new baby with so much more to come. I really hope all of you enjoy it!

Question: Do you prefer the first book in a series or it's sequels?

Please remember to:

Vote
Comment
&
Share

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

179K 7.2K 33
It was never painful for them to hurt each other. It was so easy for one of them to yell insulting words at the other. There have been many moments w...
86.7K 3.6K 25
Life has never seemed more serene than as I lay dying. Blood coats the forest floor beneath me, connecting with the foilage-covered soil in a parade...
112 29 11
Maria's heritage was unbeknownst to her, yes she knew her family was pagan but not how effective her powers were. A conduit moment happening in colle...
1.1K 90 14
.:True love... but make it fated:. Queen Serena of the Vale's idyllic world was shattered by her parents' tragic and unexplained disappearance, leav...