PARADOX

Od Goodreadsbygab

At 17 years old Amina faced a tragedy that changed the outlook of her life forever, or maybe so what she thou... Více

 Prologue
PDX1
PDX2
PDX3
PDX4
PDX5
PDX6
PDX7
PDX8
PDX9
PDX10
PDX11
PDX12
PDX13
PDX14
PDX15
PDX16
PDX17
PDX18
PDX19
PDX20
PDX21
PDX23
PDX24
PDX25
PDX26
PDX27
PDX28
PDX29
PDX30
PDX31
PDX32
PDX33
PDX34
PDX35
PDX36
PDX37
PDX38
PDX39
PDX40
PDX41
PDX42
PDX43
PDX44
PDX45
PDX46
PDX47
PDX48
PDX49
PDX50
PDX51
PDX52
PDX53

PDX22

6.7K 537 270
Od Goodreadsbygab

December 16th 2022
Dallas, Texas
4:39 pm

"This one gives me Avril Lavigne vibes." Chalyn pointed out, she grabbed her wine glass off of Amina's abstract coffee table and took a sip before placing it back. The girls were a week late listening to Sza's new album, so they decided to listen together while Chalyn helped Amina glue down the feathers to the canvases.

"It does." Amina lightly chuckled, she pressed a dot of hot glue before sticking in the feather stem. She was sipping wine in her luxury townhome, listening to a good album, all while having good conversation with her friend. It was little moments like this that made her appreciate where she was in her life currently.

"Ouu." Amina exclaimed as she reached for the remote, "I like this one." She added, increasing the volume.

"Only like myself when I'm with you, nobody gets me, you do." Amina sang. The wine had her feeling like she was singing just like or even better than Sza. At this point with the help of Chalyn, she was more than 50% done. She estimated that they'd be finished by around 6, if that went as planned, Amina was gonna head to her suite and put the canvases on the designated wall.

"I feel like I can't resonate with the album—I like it, I'm just not at a place where I can relate." Chalyn announced. "Not even snooze?" Amina questioned.

"Oh, yeah, I like snooze—I like all of them really, the sad ones just aren't moving me." Chalyn spoke, "I'm being loved correctly." She added with a giddy smile taking over her face, causing Amina to lightly chuckle and smile as well.

"I know that's right." Amina replied, she took a quick break to analyze her work. She nodded her head in approval, happy that it was coming along how she planned. "This is so cute Mina—I'm ready to come get my hair done just to get my picture taken in front the feather wall." Chalyn spoke.

"Just let me know when you wanna come." Amina replied, jumping back into flying the feathers. "Can I come Thursday?" Chalyn questioned.

Amina pursed her lips together as she thought about it, "Yeah—that works out cause I got my crazy client coming and I need you there with me to lighten the mood." Amina spoke, Chalyn raised her eyebrow before laughing. "Crazy? I'm scared of grown hoes that be crazy—they don't be having shit to lose." Chalyn spoke.

Amina laughed, "Maybe crazy ain't the word, but her vibe is so off. I know you're super outgoing so hopefully you can help the vibe"

"What style you getting?" Amina questioned, just to have it in mind. "Buss down wig." Chalyn replied, causing Amina to lightly chuckle as she nodded her head.

"I forgot to ask you, how did breakfast with Melo go?" Chalyn questioned, Amina looked up at her friend to see her focused. "It was good—girl, I forgot to tell you!" Amina smacked her lips before grabbing her wine glass and finishing off the approximately one gulp. Chalyn's eyed eagerly widened, as her ears were ready to hear what Amina had to say.

"I was at his house just dry chillin, watching him play the game and Rashad called me—" Amina managed to get out before Chalyn cut her off, "Called you for what?" Chalyn questioned.

"Now that I think about it, I don't know—but girl, Melo's ass low key got upset as fuck. Started talking bout I need to let my hoes go and all kinda shit." Amina explained, Chalyn furrowed her eyebrows together before chuckling. "Let your hoes go? What kinda high school ass shit is that."

"Girl, I haven't even kissed this man. Rashad ain't on my roster but still—am I tweaking?" Amina questioned as she stopped and turned to Chalyn.

"No, especially if you haven't even kissed him. It's sounding a little possessive honestly." Chalyn chimed in. Amina honestly never wanted to treat anyone how Cain treated her, and having her phone ring while sitting in Cain's face made her feel bad, knowing how it felt to be on the other end of the situation. She didn't feel too bad though—her and Cain had history, she was only getting to know Melo. She wasn't expecting a standard that she wasn't living up to, him weighing his options right now was ideal.

"Girl then me and Rashad was in the car and he called me wanting to go to dinner—I told him I was with my friend so I'd let him know, I just knew Rashad was gonna turn up the music or something to let his presence be known." Amina shook her head, Chalyn furrowed her eyebrows as a smirk formed on her face.

"Did he?" She questioned, Amina shook her head no. "He heard the whole conversation though, I honestly think he kept me at that damn museum on purpose." She replied.

"Nigga never say shit but definitely had a lot to say about them paintings." Amina added, causing Chalyn to laugh. "I see y'all been going on a lot of clandestine dates." Chalyn spoke as she forcibly winked her right eye a few times.

"They're not dates!" Amina quickly responded, Chalyn playfully threw her hands up in surrender. "So what was the museum, the candles, and the dinner after you did his hair?" Chalyn questioned. Amina was letting Chalyn in a lot more these days and she didn't regret it. And incase shit hit the fan, Amina knew way more about Chalyn than she knew about her.

"Those were meetings." Amina shrugged as she opened a new pack of feathers, Chalyn chuckled as she shook her head. "Can't convince me baby—I'm already convinced." She smirked.

"God know my heart." Amina joked, causing them both to laugh. "Anyway bitch—when can I drop my wig off? I'm gonna get my signature highlights again." Chalyn replied.

"After we're done." Amina spoke, she stopped and grabbed her phone. It was now 5:15 which meant they were on good timing. "You ain't said nothing but a word." Chalyn spoke, happy to hear that answer.

December 17th 2022
Dallas, Texas
10:15 pm

Amina opened the last pack of command strips and threw the packing in the trash, she'd done these steps so many times it was instinctive at this point. She stuck the strips to the canvas before sticking the canvas on the wall, in the last free spot. Now that her project was done she felt relieved, she let out a deep sigh as she took a step back to fully examine the wall. A smile stretched across her smooth face as she looked, she grabbed her phone and snapped a picture and made a video of the finished product.

Just as discussed, Chalyn dropped her wig off. But since her appointment wasn't for another couple days, Amina decided she would take it home and customize it there. Amina shut off her ring light and began to gather her things, she placed the silk bag that contained Chalyn's wig in her Neverfull before shutting off her light and heading out. Although it was late, she wasn't the last one in the building this time.

A well known braider was on the second floor, and usually stayed longer than Amina. Once Amina approached the door, she turned around and decided to tell her neighbor she was on the way out.

"Hey—I just wanted to let you know I'm leaving, so you'll probably be the only one here." Amina announced as she leaned against the doorframe. Gia looked up from the knotless braid she was doing and shot Amina a smile, Gia appeared to be about 20 years old. Every interaction Amina had with her was always sweet. "Alright, have a goodnight." She smiled.

"Y'all too." Amina smiled and waved as she walked off, she adjusted her purse before she walked down the curving flight of stairs. Once she neared her suite door she jiggled the doorknob to make sure her suite was locked before walking out of the building. Her usual parking spot was in the front so she didn't have to walk long to make it to her car, she hopped in and locked the doors prior to fastening her seatbelt.

Amina slightly bit down on her lip as she pondered on if she should stop and get something to eat or not, she wasn't super hungry but she still had a taste for something. She looked at the time and sighed—she didn't like eating too late, but she also didn't like going to sleep hungry.

After having the thought racket her brain, she decided to stop at Blue's. A 6 piece wouldn't hurt, and since she had wine earlier she'd probably opt for a water for balance. A few moments later she arrived and had to circle the parking lot to find a vacant parking spot. Blue's and The Garden were always super busy, so parking spots were scarce. Suddenly, Amina got the bright idea to parking in the back where Rashad parked.

Amina sat both of the straps to her purse over her shoulder before departing from her car, a plethora of steps later she was swinging the door open. The friendly smell of food being prepared hit Amina as she walked through the door, she snagged a seat at the bar and took a look at the newfound menus they had available. One side was recommended drinks and the other side was their wing flavors.

"Hey you." The bartender greeted, stealing her attention away from the menu. She looked up at him and gave him a smile. "Hey." She greeted back.

"What you sipping on tonight?" He questioned as she grabbed a glass, "Water—and a lil lime so I can pretend it's vodka." She chuckled, causing him to do the same.

"Got you." He replied as he sliced the whole lime into 4ths. "And can I get 6 wings, lemon pepper, but can they be all flats?" Amina asked, she watched as he slid the glass to her. A look of doubt covered his face.

"I don't know if we can do any modifications—let me see what Rashad say, hold on." He replied before vanishing away, Amina squeezed the lime into her water before taking sip. Her head slightly turned to the side as she thought of an idea. "Excuse me." She called out to the female bartender.

"Can I get a can of Diet Coke, please?" Amina questioned, the girl nodded her head before bending over to grab it out the small see through refrigerator. She housed a smile on her face as she sat it in front of Amina along with a glass.

Amina poured the coke into the empty glass before squeezing in the lime, she removed her straw from the water and used it to mix the lime and coke. "No." Rashad's deep voice announced from behind her to look around, she kissed her teeth once she laid eyes on him.

"Come on—I don't like drums." Amina fussed as she looked at Rashad, she noticed his eyes gave off a much playful vibe rather than serious today. "No nigga, chicken is chicken, you'll be aight." Rashad spoke, Amina kissed her teeth as she looked at him. Rashad stared back, widening his eyes for dramatic effect, causing Amina to laugh.

"Give her the flats man." Rashad gave in, causing Amina to smile. "What's in this cup?" Rashad questioned as he leaned next to her, his fragrance was one she could spot from anywhere—Another 13 by Le Labo. It was Cain's favorite, and his only until she began to widen his scent horizons. The scent fit Rashad well, it was almost as if he could be on the commercials advertising it.

"Your concoction—lime and coke." Amina replied taking a sip, "Why Diet Coke?" Rashad questioned, slightly making up his face.

"It's good, It probably taste better than regular coke." Amina replied, looking at him. A slight smile formed on her face. "You wildin, diet got that nasty ass stevia shit in it." Rashad spoke, Amina half shrugged as she sipped her drink before putting it down.

"I'll walk you to your car when it's time to go." He announced, "I parked right next to you—so that works out." Amina replied, Rashad nodded his head.

"Let me go check on your all flats." He spoke before tapping the bar, causing Amina to chuckle. "Thank you." She replied in a sing song voice as she grabbed her phone out of her purse and decided to scroll through Twitter all while mindlessly sipping her drink until it finished. Soon, Rashad sat a small plate in front of her containing of the wings just how she requested—all flats. Before she could even thank him, he walked away. Which was understandable, he had to be everywhere at once for Blue's.

Tonight there was no live band, poetry, or anything of that nature. Instead Sza's new album played full blast as everyone spoke amongst each other. The sound of distant conversations, glasses clinking together, and Sza's melodic singing all collided together. As time passed the guest left one by one, some lingered outside the club prolonging going home. Rashad instructed for Amina to wait on him, so she waited around as he did various tasks to aid the club in closing.

Amina watched different staff members finish their jobs before clocking out, they announced their goodbyes before pushing through the door with plans to do it all over again tomorrow night. Soon, only Amina and Rashad were in the building. Amina moved from the bar and sat at one of the tables, her right leg crossed over her left as her attention focused on her phone—TikTok specifically.

Rashad walked around the club tidying up and completing small tasks such handling the cash, locking the doors, and following behind anything the staff forgot to do. Amina let out a small yawn as she locked her phone and sat it on the table. "I'm almost done." Rashad announced, Amina nodded her head as a reply.

The sudden sound of loud music made Amina jump a bit, Rashad looked over and let out a small chuckle. "It's just the music—relax." Rashad spoke as he walked over to the bar's cash register and locked it. He walked over to Amina and grabbed her arms, motioning for her to get up.

"What are you doing?" Amina raised her eyebrow, Rashad never minded her and continued to gently tug at her arms. "Dance with me." He instructed, Amina let out a chuckle as she got up. Rashad wasted no time pulling her close to him him, their bodies pressed together as they swayed from side to side while Angel by Anita Baker played. Amina's arms laid comfortably on Rashad's shoulders while his sat firmly on Amina's waist. In this moment she felt contended, his scent and the way hands strong hands sat on her waist aided with that. Rashad's sweet touch made her melt like chocolate on a summer day.

"You relaxed now?" Rashad's deep voiced questioned. Amina removed her head from his chest and looked up at him, he had a certain sparkle in his eyes that made Amina smile. She nodded her head yes before returning her head back to his chiseled chest.

December 19th 2022
Dallas, Texas
1:35 pm

Amina let out a deep sigh as she pushed the door open to her suite, Mariah would be arriving at any moment and Amina honestly wasn't prepared. She was optimistic enough to hope things were different this time, but pessimistic enough to feel like things would be the exact same. In hopes to cease talking as a whole, she turned on the music and stationed the volume a bit higher than normal.

She pulled out two fresh fresh wig caps along with all of her usual supplies, Amina was glad Mariah was getting a wig installed rather than tapes, this meant that she would have to spend less time with her. She already had it made up in her mind that this was the last appointment she'd accept from her, money wasn't everything and it damn sure wasn't worth her peace of mind.

A rhythmic knock on the door sounded, causing Amina to look up. There stood Mariah dressed in a black LNDR workout set and a pair of Nike air max 270s on her feet. A smile was painted on her face as she waved before making her way to the seat. "GoodMorning." She greeted.

"GoodMorning." Amina replied as she removed the cape off of her chair so Mariah could sit down, Mariah removed the satin scrunchie that was holding her hair in a low bun and slipped it into her purse. Amina snapped the custom cape around her neck and adjusted the sides for comfortability.

"I was gonna stop at Starbucks, but I didn't want to be late." Mariah announced with a slight chuckle, "You had time." Amina spoke as she gently tapped her shoulder twice, indicating for her Mariah to follow her to the wash bowl. Mariah was about 20 minutes early to her appointment, but Amina didn't mind.

"You know you're the only stylist I could find here that includes washes." Mariah voiced, her eyes were closed which was common during hair washes due to them being so relaxing. "Really? I rather wash my client's hair myself than have any surprises while styling." Amina responded. Mariah's hair was healthy yet fine, she had 4a curls that thrived when hydrated, confirming to Amina that she had high porosity hair. After Amina's response, the conversation became desisted.

Amina finished off the wash and guided Mariah back to the chair, she grabbed her blow dryer and began to dry Mariah's mane. Since it was so fine, drying didn't take long at all—which Amina appreciated. The heat from the dryer made her hot and she hated being hot. She always told her clients to prepare to sit under the dryer, because manually blow drying hair wasn't something she couldn't commit to. Once Mariah's tresses were dry, Amina began to braid her straight back, about 8 small braids to aid with the install being flat.

Amina stopped for a second to turn her ring light on before assuming her position, she finished off her last braid and tucked the ends to conceal them. Now, it was finally time for the wig applying process. Bald cap customization came first prior to Amina slipping the wig on, once it was perfectly glued down she tied on a lace band and began to style the wig with loose beach waves.

"Can I take this band home?" Mariah questioned, breaking the silence. "Of course." Amina answered as she worked the T3 curling through the wig.

"Hello." Chalyn greeted in a sing song tone, seeing Chalyn's face relieved Amina, even though the appointment wasn't as awkward as the last one. "Hey." Amina replied, keeping her focus on her work.

"I brought you a matcha." Chalyn announced, sitting the venti latte on Amina's station. "What flavor you put in it?" Amina asked, she loved a good iced matcha but only liked the latte with salted caramel cold foam and brown sugar syrup.

"The exact way you put me on." Chalyn answered as she took a seat in the waiting area and watched to kill time before it was her turn. She occasionally sipped the iced beverage and shook the ice around which sent a sound into the quiet room.

Soon, Amina finished the curls and removed the lace band. Mariah made it clear that she wasn't a fan of baby hairs, so Amina respected that and gave her a nice sleek look. She toyed with the curls before removing the cape and turning her toward the full length mirror. A smile pained Mariah's face at the first glimpse of her brand new due.

"I love it." She announced as she continued to study herself, Amina could agree that she undoubtedly looked amazing. She had the last minute decision to take pictures of Mariah.

Mariah handed Amina her payment in cash with a smile, Amina quickly counted the 20s and stuck them in her cash pouch. Mariah began to get out the chair before stopping and letting out a sigh.

"Amina—can I be honest with you?" She questioned, Amina nodded her head yes. She was always open to criticism, despite how great she thought she was. "I'm one hundred percent certain that you know my husband—that's how I found you, your company name was showing up on his credit card statement—just please tell me if you're seeing him." Her smile quickly formed into a frown as tears neared her eyes.

"Mariah—I already told you I don't know who Dell is, I'm not fuckin him!" Amina exclaimed, damn near fed up.

"Dell? Dell Rogers?" Chalyn furrowed her eyebrows together, Mariah nodded her head yes. "Bitch, that's my man!" Chalyn exclaimed, catching both Amina and Mariah off guard.

"Your man? Bitch that's my husband!" Mariah shouted, holding up the enormous white gold rock on her ring finger along with the matching band that shined just as bright. Pumpkin was definitely written all over that ring, just from its glamorous appearance Amina could see the connection. "And you're the bitch! What kind of woman runs around with a married man!" Mariah exclaimed as she stood up.

"You're lying." Chalyn shook her head no, not wanting to believe what she was hearing. "We're always together." She confidently spoke, which Amina knew was a lie. She'd been over Chalyn's house more than a handful of times and there was little to no trace of Pumpkin. The girls spoke often throughout the day and Chalyn would also be alone.

"Bitch cause he's abandoning his wife and kids!" Mariah spoke, "You keep your ass away from my husband, I have too much respect for Amina to fight in her suite, but bitch—I'll catch you." She added.

"Hoe, you need to keep him away from me! The fuck. Worry about why he feels the need to live a double life" Chalyn snapped. Mariah grilled Chalyn from head to toe before walking out of the suite. Meanwhile, Amina stood there still processing what just happened. She always had an eerie feeling about Pumpkin, so she wasn't surprised that he had skeletons in his closet—she was surprised at how everything played out.

"You alright?" Amina questioned, breaking the thick silence. Chalyn ran her tongue over her top row of teeth before nodding her head yes. She grabbed her purse and sat in Amina's seat, still ready to get her hair done despite the event that took place. "I got something for Dell's ass." She mumbled as she crossed her left leg over the right. Chalyn was full of distraught, her leg bounced vigorously indicating that she was angry.

"You gon' call him?" Amina asked as she grabbed a fresh cape and snapped it behind Chalyn's neck. "Nope, she will most likely—and that's exactly what I need her to do." She replied.

December 19th 2022
Dallas, Texas
4:15 pm

Amina finished the designated paperwork before taking it to the receptionist, she handed her the various sheets along with the clipboard prior to returning to her seat. The lobby was kind of empty, well—it was empty. Amina was the only patient there, and the only sound in the room was coming from the episode of Maury playing on the TV.

Amina tapped her foot while awaiting her gyno, these appointments always made her a tad bit nervous. Amina was very adamant about getting tested every few months, knowing the state of her health was important to her. Her only current sexual partner was Cain, but that didn't mean she was his only sexual partner. As unfortunate as it was, that's how many girls got caught up with diseases. Amina also wanted to be safe after kissing Malik.

Soon, Amina's name was called and she was escorted to the back where the tests would take place. Testing never took long, or maybe Amina wasn't counting the time due to the small talk she was having with her Gyno. After the tests were conducted, Amina was sent on her way. As always, the results would be uploaded to my chart within the next week or so. Now that that was done, Amina decided to treat herself to some ice cream.

Pokračovat ve čtení

Mohlo by se ti líbit

64.3K 2.7K 22
Angel Mortem wasn't your normal 16 year old girl. She was adopted since birth and has been carted all around Australia. She didn't fit in anywhere so...
4.6K 141 26
The world is a cycle ... Zoey thought she had finally found it she was away from all her worries but boy was she wrong, you can only run so far until...
189 16 15
15-year-old Lucy Noble moved into a brand-new house in a whole new town. Only the town wasn't as she thought and neither are the people. Lucy must fa...
39.9K 817 52
Rose a normal 17 year old girl. Her life was rough but normal, normal until she meets them.