Live For It

By LyEr7107

He seemed like the devil. He was evil. Cruel. She was always portrayed as a weapon. A tool. An occasional u... More

a/n
|1|
|2|
|3|
|4|
|5|
|6|
|7|
|8|
|9|
|10|
|11|
|12|
|13|
|14|
|15|
|16|
|17|
|18|
|19|
|20|
aesthetics
|21|
|22|
|23|
|24|
|25|
|26|
|27|
|28|
|29|
|30|
|31|
|32|
|33|
|34|
|35|
|36|
|37|
|38|
|39|
|40|
|41|
|42|
|43|
|44|
|45|
|46|
|47|
|48|
|49|
|50|
|51|
|52|
|53|
|54|
|55|
|56|
|57|
|58|
|60|
Epilogue
a/n pt 2 (please read!!)

|59|

443 19 2
By LyEr7107

{ZHARA}

I'm trying to excuse my nervous pacing with my menstrual cycle. 

But then I remember that my period only comes when it wants to, and my birth control makes the schedule crazy. And speaking of birth control, when we get back to America, I have to go and get my IUD taken out. 

It seems that things have changed. And I haven't decided how to feel about it. When I finally explain everything to Zion, he'll most likely force me to go to some doctor he blackmailed into his business. 

And I don't want that. 

I'm running my hands across my dress, the smell of parsley and oregano flowing from the dish in the oven. 

Zion is back to being reserved, and I think it's because my brothers are arriving soon. I know this is hard for him, and I've actually tried to put myself in his shoes during these situations. 

But to be honest, that still doesn't give him a right to treat us as if we were the ones that committed the crimes our father did. 

"Why are you pacing?" Zion asks me, taking off his suit jacket. I'm distracted by his arms for a moment, but then I'm reminded of the situation. 

"I'm nervous," I whispered, brushing a strand of hair behind my ear. I hope I don't start sweating. Zion raises a brow at me. 

"The Golden Raven is nervous?" he mocks, "Why are you nervous?"

I roll my eyes, but I still find my feet leading me toward his embrace. "I didn't get to see them while I was in that hospital, it's just been a while. What if they don't want to see me? Or worse...What if they disown me?"

"Zhara, they wouldn't be coming if they didn't want to see you," Zion reassures me, looking at me as if I overreacted. He's probably right, but that doesn't make me feel any less anxious. I was more excited, I think. Maybe that was why my heart was beating so fast. 

Zion grabs my waist, pulling me against him. "They don't deserve you," he whispers against my lips. "They have wronged you so many times, yet you still forgive them."

I pressed my head to his chest, "They aren't as bad as you think, Zion. Even though we've all done bad things to each other, they were going through the same things I was."

He lets his palm rest on my lower half, and I narrow my eyes at him. He just smirks down at me. 

"Horny men," I scoff under my breath and walk away, only to feel a harsh slap against my ass. I spin around and Zion stands there innocently as if he didn't just spank me. 

Just as I was about to lecture him, the front door opened and a few of Zion's men came in. 

My lips parted as I saw who followed behind them. I didn't think this would ever happen. Ever since I had seen Ajax's signature on that contract that stated I was emancipated from that chaotic mess, I thought I would never get the chance to see my brothers again.

But as Koven's eyes meet mine from the foyer, all my fears disappear for a moment. A moment that I want to last forever. 

"Zhara," his voice is more breathless than I remember. My other half stares back at me from across the room. 

Zion nudges my back, setting my legs off toward my family. Ajax and Rowen and Hayden. They're here, too. And a woman. 

I throw myself into Koven's embrace, squeezing him near death. I hear his laugh, and it only makes me hug him tighter. 

"Don't kill him, Z," Hayden's calm voice is heard from beside me. I turn my head to him, his dark hair longer around his head. 

"God, I missed you guys," I exclaim, hugging Hayden more gently. He would probably never speak to me again if I squeezed him like I did Koven. 

Ajax wraps an arm around my shoulders, pressing me to his side as he mutters something to Rowen. I glance toward him, knowing that we didn't end on good terms. The only thing I hope for is that he has put it behind us. Rowen nods to Ajax, then finally meets my gaze. 

My other brothers pull away from me, giving Rowen some space.

"Mi sei mancata, sorella."

[I missed you, sister]

And for the first time in forever, Rowen's lips tilt into a small smile. I grin back at him, "We made your favorite food."

If there was one thing I knew for sure, food was the way to Rowen's nonexistent heart. 

It was a traditional Italian dish that my nonna always made, and I've just had the recipe memorized since the last time I had it. 

"Zhara, this is Leilani," Ajax introduces me to the woman beside him. Her name matches her face, and I can't help but smile looking at her. She's Ajax's type. Big brown eyes, curly hair, and she's a little taller than me. I don't even have to inspect her for long to know she has a good personality. 

"It's nice to finally meet you, Zhara," she hugs me, and I recognize her voice from the phone call yesterday. 

"You as well," I tell her, "I hope my brother is treating you well."

Leilani laughs, looking at Ajax before whispering to me, "He tries his best."

Ajax raises a brow at her, and she just gives him a grin. 

"Zion helped me make the Ribollita soup, but I made the Trippa alla Romana," I told them, "The recipe is strictly only for the family, so I hid the ingredients from him."

Trippa is just the meat from cattle stomachs, and Ribollita is a vegetable soup that has a Tuscan origin. When I wasn't training with my father, my nonna was educating me on the culinary arts. 

However, the look on Rowen's face told me he wasn't interested in what I had made. 

"Zhara, I want you to know that I am sorry," he admits, and my brows furrow. This is not like him at all. 

"Rowen, why are you-"

"I've unfortunately had enough time apart from you to realize what my actions have caused," he says, taking a step forward. 

"Rowen, none of this was your fault," I reply. Rowen shakes his head, but his eyes get caught on something behind me. I turn my head to see Zion and Isaiah standing outside the kitchen, watching my brothers very closely. 

"Oh my goodness," I sigh, "You all are going to have to find some equal ground at some point. The glaring needs to stop."

Zion doesn't stop, of course, and he only motions me over with a flick of his head. I narrow my eyes, then turn back to Rowen and my brothers. 

"The dining room is to the left, and we're going to have dinner civilly," I tell them. "And Rowen," I lower my voice, "Thank you."

~***~

"Hey Bird, I think your brothers are thinking of all the different ways to murder us right now," Isaiah whispers as I start putting the food onto plates. I look up from the counter, seeing Hayden and Rowen staring directly into Isaiah and Zion's souls. 

"Well, ignore them. There's too much testosterone in this place," I say, shaking my head. Zion helps me grab all the plates as we start walking toward the dining room. 

"You love it," Zion whispers in my ear. I side-eye him, silently warning him to stop acting so horny. 

"Who else is coming down for dinner?" I ask, setting the food down in front of my brothers and Leilani. "Inan, Liam, and Matteo said he'd try to get away from Adriano in time," Isaiah replies. I nod, giving everyone a smile before setting a few other spots at the table. 

The chandelier above lights up the room, and the sun finally sets on the horizon outside the window. I can't even believe this is happening right now. 

Matteo and Liam make their way down the stairs and past the foyer, and not too long after, Inan walks down the hall from the medical wing. I almost didn't notice Flynn limping behind him, and I realized how awkward this was about to be. I immediately stand and pull out a chair for Flynn, assisting Inan by holding up Flynn's shoulder. 

"Are you sure you're okay to be out of bed rest?" I ask him, and he just waves me off and sits down beside me. Zion squeezes my hand under the table, giving me an assuring look as everyone settles in. 

"Did Adriano stay in the office?" Liam asks Matteo, who nods and meets my eyes across the table. I lean back into my seat, drawing my stare away immediately. I notice Ajax giving Flynn a look I can't decipher. 

"What happened to you?" Ajax asks Flynn, nodding down to the bandage showing on his arm beneath his shirt. Flynn hesitates, probably contemplating what to tell him. 

"Got attacked by Alphonzo's Russian dogs." 

Ajax's eyes widen, but he controls it immediately. 

"You all should've seen Vincenzo's state," I scoff, taking a big bite of my food. Zion glances down at me. 

"Oh, is that where you had wandered off to?" Flynn asks, downing a glass of whiskey. 

Oh, lord. 

", which by the way, later we need to discuss that Russian situation," I add, "But for now, we are eating peacefully."

"The meat is cooked well, Zhara," Isaiah compliments, cutting into his food. 

"Thank you," I smile, taking sips of my soup. 

The tension is very thick in the room, and part of me wants to do something about it. However, I know that will end badly. 

"So, Leilani, how did you and Ajax meet?" I ask her as everyone else gets a little distracted. 

"Street racing," she replies, "It was about a year ago actually. But he was too stubborn to give me chance until months after we met."

That sounds like Ajax. I wonder why he didn't tell me about her, but I guess he wasn't used to that kind of relationship. 

"You race, huh?" I tilt my head. She nods, "Since I was seventeen."

"How did you and Zion meet?" Leilani questions curiously, and I almost choke on my water. 

Zion squeezes my thigh under the table. 

"He stole me and interrogated me to try and get back at my father, but we all know how that ended," I smiled proudly, looking around at the whole table. Inan was holding back a laugh, and Liam was giving me an unimpressed glare. 

"These men act clueless, I swear," I tell Leilani as if the 'men' were not right beside us. "How old are you, if you don't mind me asking?" 

"Twenty-three," she answers, "Some days I feel like I've lived a hundred lives, though."

"You're not alone in that," I say, "Did you grow up in the famiglie?"

[families]

It was rare for someone involved in the underground to become infatuated with someone who wasn't. 

"Zhara, why are you interrogating her?" Ajax butts in. Zion's hand tenses around mine. 

"I'm just asking questions, AJ," I draw back, "I haven't heard of her until just recently, so you can't blame me for wanting to know."

Leilani touches Ajax's arm, "I'm perfectly fine with it. We can talk more after dinner if that appeases you."

Oh, I love this girl already. 

Ajax narrows his eyes at her. 

"Yeah, and then you can interrogate Zion all you want!" I say with fake enthusiasm. I give Zion a big smile, and he just keeps that emotionless glare. Ajax doesn't find it funny, either. 

"Good luck with that," Isaiah snorts, shoving a spoonful of soup in his mouth. 

"How long are you staying?" Matteo asks as he sets his harsh stare on Rowen. My brothers visibly hesitate at his sudden question. Koven looks at me from the corner of his eye. 

"Just one night, if that's fine with you," Ajax answers, looking to Zion for confirmation. 

"We're heading back to America in two days. Wouldn't it be more convenient for you to just leave with us?" Zion proposes. My eyes slightly widen at his offer, but I can tell he's trying to be peaceful. 

Ajax glances at Koven, Rowen, and Hayden, and they all nod in agreement. 

"That would be great, actually," AJ agrees, "If we aren't intruding."

"There are plenty of rooms," Liam mentions, "And it would be good for the families to start getting along more."

And as if the problem himself had heard, Adriano Armani stomps down the stairs, drawing everyone's attention over. 

"What's this?" Adriano exclaims with a menacing grin. Oh great. "You dragged the rest of your father's bastards along with you, huh?" he looks at me directly. My brothers turn around in their seats. Hayden twists a steak knife between his fingers.

"Adriano," Zion snaps, "Abbastanza."

[enough]

Adriano looks dumbfounded for a second, then fixes his glare onto Zion. "This is nonsense, son, and you know it."

Zion says nothing and continues to eat his food. 

Soon, Adriano realizes no one is paying him any mind, and trudges off down the hall. 

I almost smile. 

"I'm going to go deal with him," Zion tells me quietly, standing up. "Thank you for the meal," he says as he kisses my forehead, dragging a hand down my back before excusing himself. 

I should be annoyed at him leaving, but his lips are the only things that linger in my thoughts. 

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

1.2M 23.4K 40
Maya applied pressure to my wound. I hissed from the pain. "Stop fucking around." She rolled her eyes at me. Maya finished tending my wound, wrapping...
58.1K 2.1K 35
UPDATES EVERY MONDAY! Vivienne Lee is pretty sure her next-door neighbor is a serial killer. What else could explain his creepily minimalistic apartm...
2M 53.6K 69
"It's funny that you are saying this because if one of us is jealous, then it's you. Or did you forget that you just pushed the man I was dancing wit...
647K 21.4K 64
❝I want to worship you like a queen. Every fucking day. And use you like my little slut. Every fucking night. Together, we can set the world on fire...