Soldiers (Completed) •Soldier...

By janejane_jane

When Bucky had saved Steve from the river, he was determined to find out about his past. He was lost and conf... More

Prologue
Soldiers Cast List
Chapter 1: The Captain In Tights
Chapter 2: Betrayed and Used
Chapter 3: Illustration
Chapter 4: Beyond The Limit
Chapter 5: Meeting Natasha Romanoff
Chapter 6: Dinner
Chapter 7: Getting To Know Them
Chapter 8: Who Are You?
Chapter 9: Get Out!
Chapter 10: History
Chapter 11: Strangers No More
Chapter 12: Fresh Start
Chapter 13: Typical Monday Morning
Chapter 14: Exposed
Chapter 15: Family, eh?
Chapter 16: Good Night
Chapter 17: Remembering
Chapter 18: Training
Chapter 19: Torn
Chapter 21: Smile Bucky
Chapter 22: Stick With The Plan
Chapter 23: Steve?
Chapter 24: Best friend And Best...Girl?
Chapter 25: Few Hours Ago
Chapter 26: The Voice
Chapter 27:Serum
Chapter 28: For Their Good
Chapter 29: Matron
Chapter 30: Lies And Confessions
Chapter 31: New Threat Revealed
Chapter 32: My Lottie
Chapter 33: Goodbyes And Kisses
Author's Note
Chapter 34: Night Falls Guards Down
Chapter 35: And It Begins
Chapter 36: New War And New Age
Chapter 37: Big Girls Cry
Epilogue
Great News!!

Chapter 20: New Assignment

11.4K 411 65
By janejane_jane

I didn't know how many times I had told the others that I was fine. And the lie sounded more and more unconvincing with each time I said it. Then, it got to the point where they no longer asked. They would only throw worried and clouded glances at me, and I would pretend I did not see that.

I balled my hands and dug my nails into my palms. The pain did little to settle my panic, fear and frustration. Director Fury had disappeared elsewhere, leaving the Avengers in the meeting room. No one had said a word for a good old five minutes.

Tony was not alerted about the incident yet, and I was glad. He would have been all over the place, asking to place tests on me and make sure I was alright. Shaking my head, I put my elbow on the table and pressed a fist into my right temple. I squeezed my eyes shut, and behind my eyelids I could see the layers of galaxies, entwining with each other.

"Someone might have broken in," Steve attempted to come up with a reason. His previous joy of gaining Bucky's recognition was gone, replaced with grave and worries. His face was masked with a frown, and I hated myself for showing the others my weakness and insanity.

"Do you think it's Hydra?" Bruce asked sensibly. From across me, Bucky's body tensed up. I resisted the urge to sigh. All I wanted to do right now was to curl up in my bed and blank out.

"If it's Hydra," Natasha stated, her voice cold and distant, "Then we will make sure the bastards are not going to get to Lottie and Bucky."

Bucky watched the woman quietly, his expression torn between rage for Hydra and amusement for the Black Widow.

Although the others insisted that it was an intruder from Hydra, I could not get rid of the feeling that it was more than an assassin who was trying to kill me. In fact, it was much worse.

A familiar tug nagged at my stomach once more. My heart sank to my toes as I pinched my thigh silently. Please don't do this, I pleaded to myself. Blinking hard, I felt the heat raise within me. I inhaled deeply and my body began to settle with the sensation.

I was taking control of my body gradually, but my vision seeped with redness once more. When Director Fury walked into the room, the others turned to look at him. They were fortunately unaware of my eyes situation.

However, the Director's speech was paused by the sight of my eyes and my flushed cheeks. He set his eyebrows and put his hands on the table with an air of finality.

"We cannot find the intruder at the moment but we are working on it. Meanwhile, it would be great if Charlotte can explain the whole incident to us," His eye never left mine as he continued, "And your eyes."

I felt everybody's gaze on me. Right then, my emotions were all over the place. Frustrated, panicked, upset, you name it. I bit my tongue and muttered, "I'm not a monster."

Clint touched my arm with his elbow. The man's eyes were soft on me, "Hey. No one's ever said that. You're just going through puberty."

I chuckled and wiped my eyes hastily to dry the tears. "Nick," Bruce chimed in, "I think we should give Lottie a break. Maybe she can go have a lie down in my laboratory and maybe after that, we can have another meeting. I don't think any one of us would mind."

It was no doubt that the Avengers were on my side, but Director Fury stayed his ground. "This is about Shield's security. No one is going anyway before the situation is cleared."

Bucky was giving Fury a dark look. I exhaled, releasing my fists and leveled gaze with the Director. If my bloody red eyes were unsettling, then Fury did nothing to show his uneasiness.

"I heard a voice. So I thought someone was trying to attack me. I panicked, and so I attacked."

Steve nodded, and Natasha watched me closely with her hands on her knees. "A voice?" Fury repeated, "Female or male?"

Funny enough, I did not remember trying to identify the voice. Swallowing, I realized this conversation wasn't going to make me sound any saner. "I don't remember," my voice was low and quiet. "I was scared."

Director Fury narrowed his eye and the redness in my gaze grew. "Well, interesting. So, did you see the intruder at all?"

My cheeks burnt and I averted my eyes.

"No."

They were silent. The room was thickened with tension and doubts. Lowering his head, Fury paid no effort in suppressing his sigh. "Okay," he concluded and straightened up. Rubbing his hands together, Fury glanced around the room. "We will just keep an eye on the security. Meanwhile, shall we return to our original agenda for the meeting?"

A Shield agent entered the room and muttered to Fury. I peered around myself and was glad to see that no one was staring at me, like I was some sort of animals.

I was surprised when Bucky stood from his chair deliberately to join me at the side of the table. Fury's eye darted to us, so did some of the others who were not engaged in conversations.

"Are you okay?" Bucky quizzed and his blue eyes softened on me.

For numerous occasions I thought there was something different in the way he looked at me, but I dared not to jump to conclusion. Disappointment was usually the outcome of such situation.

Nodding, I smiled tiredly at Bucky and leaned towards him slightly as we both waited for Fury to finish giving out instructions to the Shield agent.

Finally taking a seat, Fury pulled out a file and pushed it towards us. We waited as the man took a good look around the Avengers' faces.

"Ever since the Winter Soldier incident, we have been trying to wipe out Hydra's existence," Fury paused and glanced at Natasha darkly. They both exchanged a look. "We all know this is quite impossible, but we try our best."

"They are dangerous," Bruce commented, his fingers trailing the metal frame of his glasses thoughtfully. "They remain as a threat to our team as well as everybody living on this planet."

Fury showed his solemn acknowledgement by tapping on the file earnestly. "Which is why we are working on this."

"What's this about?" Clint questioned. He leaned forwards and placed his elbows on the table, his muscles flexed as his eyebrows ceased.

I couldn't help but felt like Natasha knew something about this. Even though she had her best poker face on, she constantly flickered her gaze onto the table and swallowed in reticence.

"After years of researched, these are locations that we suspected are Hydra's bases. Not the main one, but shelters for agents or even prisoners. We are still trying to dig up more."

Steve picked up the file and flipped it open, revealing the first page of a map traced with red dots. I then realized it was a map of New York with a dark scowl. "This is going to be our first mission in the operation. Steve, I want you to go check out this base," Fury drifted his gaze on me. Oh no. "And Charlotte, I want you to go with Steve."

I stared and found myself nodding shortly. I didn't understand why Director Fury would trust me enough to assign me with this mission. "You and Steve will go in and find out whatever's useful." Steve handed me the file and I quickly scanned through it. "You two will report back immediately and I will then tell you the next step."

Bucky's face dimmed in dismay, while Steve shifted uncomfortably. "Are you sure Charlotte's the best choice right now? She is still in the process of settling down."

Fury raised an eyebrow at me and I gulped. "I don't mind," I remarked and hoped for the best. Fury pushed away from the table and gestured towards me.

"That's done then. Good job everybody. You may be dismissed."

Once the Director was out of the room, Clint groaned and ran a hand through his hair. "Man, we can't even get through a day quietly," He whined. Natasha placed her chin on one of her hand and smirked.

Bruce rubbed his face in obvious exhaustion, "Agreed."

Steve bumped his shoulder against mine and glanced down at me worriedly, "Are you sure you're alright with this?"

I tried a grin and failed miserably. Turning over a page, I continued to read the information on the list. "This assignment is a Level 2," Natasha chimed in, "It's a No-Doubt and Follow-the-Instruction, Lottie."

Besides me, Bucky shook his head in annoyance. "I don't think you should go," he muttered. "It sounds dangerous."

I tilted my head up slightly so that I could look at him. His dark hair was loosely pulled back into a ponytail. His black top stood out cruelly under his silver army tag. "I will be fine, Bucky. I can take care of myself."

From across us, Clint snorted and Bruce sighed, "Tony will have a long speech about this. Fury better prepare himself."

-------------------------------------

Hi guys! I'm sorry I haven't updated in two days. I have only recently moved into a new boarding house and I'm on my study leave too:/ There are loads of revisions going on but I haven't forgotten about you guys so here is an extra long chapter for y'all daisies:) Remember, vote if you like it and comment to tell me what you think:)

-Rivers

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

175K 7.8K 147
*Complete* A Marvel Cinematic Universe FanFiction While the Winter Soldier was a ghost story, Nadine Ryker is a ghost. She's The Ghost. Her past is a...
279 22 10
Elani Pierce once was the dangerous assassin, Vosmeti, and the partner of the Winter Soldier James Buchanan Barnes. With his strength and her abiliti...
1M 31.1K 27
(Book one) When Anna Smith enrolled in the army, she was best friends with Bucky Barnes and Steve Rogers. She left them to follow a dream of becoming...
121K 3.1K 30
Pietro's death is still haunting Wanda. She can't seem to find a reason to be happy again. That is until she meets James Buchanan Barnes. Steve Roger...